Having to Breathe

By 6thdean

After her loving father dies of a severe cancer, Tamara Anderson loses control on breathing especially when... More

Chapter 1 : A Wisp of Air
Chapter 2: A Gulp of Heat
Chapter 3: A Draft of a Freshening Breeze
Chapter 4: A Trip with the Wind
Chapter 5: Taking it all in
Chapter 6: Traveling Piece by Piece
Chapter 7: Normal Chatter in the Wind
Chapter 9: A Broken Window
Chapter 10: Not So Alone
Chapter 11: Madge
Chapter 12: Your Dating?

Chapter 8: Meeting Familiar Smiles

53 4 1
By 6thdean

So I know some of you wanted to see a picture of my characters so this one is of Keagon!
So don't forget to follow, comment, and vote! Thank you! Enjoy!

So when Friday came around, school was buzzing with laughter and giggles over who was taking who to the dance, and people were decorating areas around the school. They were decorating the lockers, cafeteria, especially the gym, the offices, even some of the teachers got involved in it. Mr Erickson was all googly eyes at Ms. Edmundson, gross!! They were like in their late 30's and it's in school when they should be educating us. It's not like it really mattered today much to them or us, I mean free time to ourselves right? And still, teens just kept talking.

One of the most talkative people was Tara, the gorgeous, popular, miss I've-got-everything-I-want girl. She was even more popular than Cali, and believe it or not, Cali sucked up to her big time!

Anyway's she was all gossip about how she was going with some Ethan Prior guy in school. I didn't know why I listened, maybe because I have no life, but I could tell that she was lying through her teeth. I know Ethan was head over heels in love with Haley Jacobs a.k.a always getting beat up by Tara. Any humane person would feel bad for her, but she always shrugged it off and wouldn't let us pity her at all. Maybe Tara would take Jack a.k.a ladies man, he basically has banged any girl who has been in our school that was hot, just not me definitely, I was not hot to anyone. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever noticed me at all in this school until this year. But yeah, he was a real popular ass too.

School was pretty normal the rest of the day and I was pretty excited to be hanging with my mom tommorow night. It would be nice to see her in casual clothes and rolling into each other. The thought made my heart jump!! I think it would be better than some stupid dance that night. And yes, I just said my mother is way cooler than a bunch of dressed up retards dancing poorly in the school gym.

* * * * * * *

So fun! Can't wait! I love my mom!! I told her that when I woke up and ran to her room like a 5 year old. Gosh I'm weird. I thought I would be all nonchalant about since it wasn't my idea in the first place. But still, time with my mom was always a plus.

"I don't even have to ask if you're happy or not do I? " she asked.

" Not at all!"

"Well then let's get going, I dont want to waste a second"

Skating was never my forte but it wasn't my mom's either. So when we got on the hard wood floor and were about to fall, she got the call which basically ruined our chances of banging into each other.

Beep,beep, beep, it went. Her pager just kept going off and everyone just kept staring at us. Ugghh I hate when people look at us. It didn't seem to bother my mom though.

"Uhuh, yep, got it. I have a favor to ask Ruth, do you think she'll be able to start today? Yeah..... um okay, thanks" she was talking to one of her peers who worked alongside her. "It seems your going to be working today and not next week. Isn't that exciting?"

"Am I getting training on the job and when is it?"

"Duh, of course you'll get training, and we have to leave now."

It was the afternoon and we hadn't even begun to rollerblade. The one time I get to spend the day with my mom and now it's going to be in a hospital. Then again, I guess it's better than nothing.

* * * * * *

When my mom rushes on the road, she rushes. We passed five cars on the way, and she could have gotten a ticket for speeding. But we got there on time.

We quickly ran in and immediately my mom was gone getting ready. They quickly hurried on getting me started too.

Miss Shary, the secretary, said I would be working the rest of her shift, and all she had to do was show me the ropes.

Here's the thing though, I learn really quickly, but I have a hard time talking to people. When my first patient came to the desk, she was very intimidating to me. In fact, I almost choked.

I got through eventually, but she looked back at me with a glare in her eyes while she walked away.

Miss Shary said it takes a little practice, but I would get it. So that's what I did, I practiced and practiced, and I rocked at it, but still was a little intimidated. I got it after awhile, until it was late. Something unexpected happened.

I watched as a group of nurses, doctors, and paramedics rushed a girl in a black slimming dress to the ER. A boy rushed to the desk and stunned me. So I decided to do my routine.

"Hello, how may I-" I stopped. I knew this person. "Your Ethan Prior, right?" I was shocked and squinted to be sure.

He looks more shocked than I do.
"How do you know me?" He rests his arms on the counter.

I stuttered and smirked. "Oh we... we go to the same school" I blushed embarrassed with my hands neatly folded in my lap.

He paused for awhile and then winced with a random question "Are you that girl who sells drugs?" Well maybe not sooo random, but still I didn't want to hear it.

My smile turned to a frown and I was a boiling with anger about ready to wack him upside the head. My conscience relapsed and reminded me that he didnt know the truth, no one did. "It's not what you think" I whisper and bite my lip looking down

"I'm sure" he scoffed sarcastically "so how much trouble did you get in?"

"I'm on probation for a month." Better than jail time I added in my brain.

He laughed. LAUGHED. Laughed at me! I was downright furious "Look, it isn't funny" I said a bit forcefully

"I'm sorry, I didn't even catch your name?"

A small smile suddenly appeared although I was still urked. I have a tendency to hide my true feelings and replace it with a smile "I'm Tamara Anderson"

"Well, Tamara, I need to know where Haley went. She just came in about five minutes ago on a gurney. She was also wearing a formal dress, and was .... was covered in blood?" Way to be obvious man.

"Yeah, if you'll just take a seat, I can get you her room number when they settle her in" I replied with my normal secretary voice again. Don't know how I regained it, but I did somehow.

After a couple moments of scrounging around the desk and waiting for a beep when a new room was taken. It finally rang and I searched on the security cameras to see Haley strung up with tubes in her arms, wires strung around the room. I was hesitant about whether I should tell Ethan or not. I mean, should he be able to go in? Only family right? Screw it, her family was messed up as it is and Ethan seemed to brighten it a lot.

I turned around to see Ethan in a defeated position, sobbing to someone on the phone.

"Ethan, come here" I interjected his moment. Mental face palm.

He stands and walks over to me quickly and utters "Is she ok?"
Should I tell him, better not, just to be safe I guess.

"She is in room 3-57" and like a crack of a whip he is off and out of the room within seconds.

It was not long before I saw he left his phone back. I hesitated on whether I should man the desk or just bring it to him. Maybe his mom needs to call him, and it's not like I'm busy or something. So I grabbed it and headed to the patients room.

Right when I walked in, I could see he was crying more because his face was damp and he held her hand softly.

I creaked open the door so he would turn around. Absentmindly I hit my head on the door as I walked in. "Jeesh" I muttered and rubbed my head before he turned my way "uh, you forgot your phone in the waiting room"

He was resilient "Thanks. When Jackson gets here, can you send him straight here?"

"Of course" I nodded and turned around sauntering out and just slightly hitting my head against the door again.

I was recalling all that had happened to me in just a month as I walked back. Funny how that seems to happen in the queeriest of ways. My awesome dad just passed away, I met some weird boy at his funeral, I went to school to find out he is alright, I get probation for selling drugs that I know I'm innocent about, I go rollerblading with my mom just so I don't have to go to some ridiculous dance, and then get called into work starting today a week ahead of time. And to top it off, I met a guy from school who has sensitive feelings and what not. Crazy week I guess.
And as my dad used to say, probably more to come.

"Hey um, I'm meeting up with a guy here, his name is Ethan. Is he here?" A familiar voice pulls me out of my thoughts. I rotated my head in his direction.

"Yeah, I can take you there if you want Jackson" I replied

"How do you know my name?" Jeez , what is it with all these guys needing to know my research on them.

"Ethan told me" I shrugged

"Nah, I can get there on my own. But if you want, you can entertain my chauffeur here" he pointed behind him revealing a dark set of eyes that were very familiar.

"Ok. Visiting ends in 20 though" I called as Jackson walked away. He didn't turn his head, he just put up a finger to me. My mouth dropped open, I think.

"He likes you" Keagon said blatantly

I rolled my eyes as I looked down at my desk "sure he does" I scoffed.

"So how come you weren't at the dance tonight?"

"Is that any of your business?" A smile appeared as I looked up at him... again.

"I don't think it is, but as a friend I hope you would tell me." he said smiling hopefully.

"So we're friends now? Since when?"

"I thought we were once we met Blondie" he smiles at his nickname for me

"Blondie? what the huh?" where did that come from.

He ignored me and continued "So why weren't you there?"

"I just didn't want to go okay?" I lied. "I am working and busy, so maybe you should go." I peeped around the empty hallway

"I can see that you're occupied" he scoffed sarcastically.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, "I'm getting paid for this job, and we are closing visiting hours in..... right now! So I have to go get some people now out of here. You know them pretty well so why don't you just find a ride with one of them yeah?" I gave a chintzy smile.

"Harsh much, but yeah sure, whatever, I guess I could," he rubbed his neck with an exasperated expression away from me, finally he faced me... surprisingly close, "I have one question though, will you answer it?"

I hoped he wouldn't, "yeah, shoot."

He did, "Did you really do it? You know..." he leaned in close and breathed against my ear " you know with the drugs and stuff"

I pulled back quickly "No!" I shouted abruptly "Jeesh, I thought we were friends, you could at least have a little faith in me" I pushed him away, "I've gotta go now. Bye!" I said without remorse as I turned to go.

"Fine!" I could hear the anger through his voice as I walked away from the noise.

I started feeling the better of it, who was he to judge me anyway? We just met, it's not my fault Cali hated my guts and had to prove it to the whole school.

I just wish my life wouldn't be as discontent as has been at the moment. I don't want to have to keep rolling with the punches, I don't want my life to change anymore than it has. I don't want to go through this process of the world called life.

Hiya! So just vote, comment! I'd appreciate it lots! Thank you!

~ Abi ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 578 9
Picking up from the end of episode 39. Eda finds out about Serkan's cancer, and her world turn upside down yet again.
219K 11.7K 17
"I just watched you almost take your last breath. Man, I can't do this without you anymore. I need you." - T.B. Once you fall in love, it's imposs...
377 2 24
What would you do when you were told that someone loves you; but they die from saving you? When Travis dies saving Katelyn the day after they reunite...
131K 4.3K 55
After losing her mom and not knowing who her dad is 17 year old Rachel Berry is dealing with a lot. After her boyfriend Finn breaks up with her for...