Just What I Need (ON HOLD)

By theErinxx

Seventeen year-old Axel Vincent is pulled out from her high school and left by her parents who hurriedly flew... More

Just What I Need Chapter 1
Just What I Need Chapter 2
Just What I Need Chapter 3
Just What I Need Chapter 4
Just What I Need Chapter 6
Just What I Need Chapter 7
Just What I Need Chapter 8
Just What I Need Chapter 9
Just What I Need Chapter 10
Just What I Need Chapter 11
Just What I Need Chapter 12
Just What I Need Chapter 13

Just What I Need Chapter 5

1.8K 41 29
By theErinxx

My bag fell from my shoulders, landing on the floor with a thump that jerked me from my dazed stance.

What the hell?

“No, I won’t tell you.” I pushed him away, a frown finally able to make its way across my face. What was I thinking, letting him get his way with me?

He looked taken aback but he quickly swathed it with a smirk. His hands were still on either side of my head but there was much more space between us than a moment ago. “Tell me why you wouldn’t then.” He amended.

I looked him in the eye—which wasn’t helping my quest to elude his control—and immediately looked away. “Because I don’t want to.” I said. “Now just drop it.”

He dropped his arms, tucked his hands in his pocket and leaned away with a smirk. “Why won’t you tell me?” He persisted.

I picked my bag up from the floor and slung it on my shoulder roughly. “It’s not even important, Jade. Drop it.” I turned away and walked off. But, of course, I didn’t expect him to leave me that easily so I wasn’t really surprised to see him striding casually beside me.

“If it’s not important, then why wouldn’t you tell me?” He really wasn’t going to let it go.

I stopped on my tracks and turned to him with a sigh, looking at his forehead instead of meeting his gaze. “Seriously, this is getting more and more hilarious every passing second. I don’t want to tell you because I’m not obliged to. And it isn’t important at all. Really, it’s not worth the nag, Jade, so just let it go.” I snapped.

He chuckled and shrugged. “Maybe today, Ax, but I won’t forget.” He grinned.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips. At least he wouldn’t bug me now.

Advanced Chemistry was my last period for the day. Fortunately, Jade kept heavenly silent beside me. The rest of the afternoon dashed rather uneventful that the next thing I knew, Jade and I were already having dinner in the fields. He brought us some freshly baked lasagna. We started munching quietly, both of us somehow tired. The silence was climbing to its peak of comfort when Jade suddenly spoke, ruining the peace and quiet.

“You have plans tonight?” He asked, sounding the least bit interested.

“No, I’m tired.” I responded honestly but when he gave me a look, I scowled. “I’m not running off.” I announced.

He looked me over for a moment then his gaze locked with mine. It was dark but his eyes shimmered in the dim light of the moon; his face was slightly lit with the same, silvery light that I resisted the urge to drool. We stared at each other for a moment longer. I would’ve gladly peered through his exquisite eyes forever but then our kiss during lunch flashed back in my head. I quickly looked away, hiding the blush that crept up my cheeks. He cleared his throat.

“You want to go to your room now?”He queried.

I checked my wristwatch. It was only seven. I shook my head no.

“Is it okay if I stay here with you?” He asked, and I could tell that he was exerting effort to make it sound nonchalant. The question itself wasn’t offhand so, apparently, his effort was just put to waste.

I looked at him, dumbfounded.

“What?” He asked, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand and inconspicuously checking if he caught something. “Is there something on my face?”

“No, no. It’s just that... what did you do to Jade?” I demanded mockingly. His brows furrowed in confusion. “You can’t be the jerk who broke my Eminem CD the other day! You can’t be the stupid bodyguard who doesn’t care about me. You can’t be the demanding, pushy guy who insists on knowing everything. You can’t be Jade!” I enumerated. I was surprised that he actually looked offended.

“First off,” he flicked a finger “I did apologize for intentionally cutting your CD in half. Second,” he flicked another finger “I care about you, silly, that’s why I’m here. Third,” he flicked his middle finger, joining his pinky and index finger “I’m not demanding, nor am I pushy. I was simply curious. And fourth,” he flicked his middle finger on the tip of my nose playfully; “I’m Jade.”

I wasn’t able to keep up with his response. I was stuck somewhere in ‘I care about you…’ Surely, those were just words, right? Empty, meaningless words to mess with my head. So, I guess I shouldn’t let it get through me. Right. I wouldn’t be thinking about it.

Really.

I wouldn’t.

Yeah.

Of course.

Come on, it couldn’t be that hard.

It’s easy.

It’s not worth the thought anyway.

I frowned, unable to keep the thoughts to myself anymore. “You’re here because it’s your job.” I stated, hindering the ache that clung in my every word. I knew it was stupid. I’ve met him not even forty eight hours ago and now I was feeling all needy. If I was being honest with myself, it’s more than just about the security he provided whenever he was with me. Because, truthfully, I actually like him. But it’s nothing more than a simple crush. He was good-looking, and I was a girl, what would you expect?

He smirked, as if he knew something I didn’t. “Oh, it’s more than just that.”

I scoffed.

His smirk was suddenly wiped off his face, replaced by a grim expression. It wasn’t like when he was playing boss or ordering me around. In fact, it wasn’t like anything I’ve seen on his face before. He looked… grim. There was no other word for it. “I’m here because I’ve done you wrong. I’m here because I brought you into this. I’m here because I’m responsible for you even if no one says so.”

I stared at him blankly.

He sighed heavily, not breaking our gaze. “I know I’m speaking riddles. But some things are better off unsaid.”

He still wasn’t making sense. “I don’t understand.” I finally said.

“I know you don’t, Axel.” I thought we were in for some really serious conversation but then he grinned—one of those playful, mischievous, handsome and irritating grins of his. “You won’t anyway, you’re too slow.” He remarked disparagingly.

I scowled. “I like the good guy persona better.”

He only chuckled.

I smiled, as genuine as I ever could be. As to why, don’t ask me; I didn’t know so myself. For a moment, he stared at me dazedly before shaking his head as if he was clearing a thought or something.

The silence settled. I was aware that he was sitting closer to me than earlier. I could feel the heat emanating from his body. I looked him over, marveling. His lean body was half-laid, half-propped. His eyes glistened in the light of the pale moon, making its hue grey-silver rather than grey-blue. I thought about his jerkiness and instead of feeling irritated or angered, I felt… light. It actually made me smile.

“Why are you smiling like an idiot at me?” My eyes refocused only to see Jade’s lifted eyebrow.

I felt myself blush. Thankfully, it was dark for him to see my flushed face. “I’m not.” I denied.

“You are. In fact, you’re still grinning dreamily right now.” He pointed matter-of-factly.

I touched my lips and indeed, they were twitched up. I pulled it down to a grimace. “I’m not.” I reiterated.

He snorted. “You don’t have to deny it, Ax. You’re having fantasies.”

“Fantasies?”

“Yeah.” He nodded coolly.

“About what?”

“Me, of course.” He grinned, flashing a perfect set of white teeth visible in the dark, young night.

“You?” I scoffed, deciding to play along. “Oh, come on. I was fantasizing Fray, actually.” Now, I didn’t mean anything with that. Nothing at all. It was just that… Fray was the only guy I knew here, aside from Jade, that is.

He visibly stiffened at the mention of Fray. “Right.” was his curt answer.

Oo-kay?

“So, you told me you’ve graduated college.” I started, aiming for a small conversation.

“I did.” He said, still brusquely.

I ignored his sudden aloofness. “How was that possible? I mean, you’re only nineteen, right? You should be, like, freshman college.”

“Home school.” He answered. “It wasn’t like normal schooling. I didn’t have to take up all the subjects, only those necessary ones, so that I could also focus on my training for the agency.”

“You were homeschooled since when?” I queried curiously.

“Since I started studying.” He gave.

“Since kindergarten?” I asked, eyes wide.

“You could say that.” He shrugged.

I gave him a sorry look. “That must be awful. Why can’t you just go to school like a normal person?”

He gave me a sarcastic look in return. “Oh, why haven’t I thought of that? Maybe because I’m working in an agency and I was working an A spy.”

“Since kindergarten?” I was dubious.

“Since birth.” He responded apathetically.

“But your parents…?” What kind of sane parents would let their child work since the day he was born? It was unreasonable. Even a poor family wouldn’t do that. It was like selling their child. A dour thought started to form in my head but I quickly pushed it away in distaste.

“They died.” He said indifferently it almost hurt to hear him.

If there was one thing I understood about people who’ve lost their parents, it is that they’d take anything but pity. I tried to scramble my already sympathetic expression but it was to no avail. “I’m sorry.” It was all I could say.

He smirked but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Don’t be.”

“No, really, I shouldn’t have asked.” I suddenly felt guilty about all the foul thoughts about his parents that crossed my mind. Of course, no sane people would sell their child. And Jade’s parents were obviously sane. “They don’t want this.”

He turned his head to the side, peering closely at me.

“You know, you shouldn’t have gone into this agency. Your parents wouldn’t want this. They’d want you to be safe and not be out there risking your life. They’d want you to live normal and be happy, not stand on the thin line separating life from death.” There was probably nothing I could do because he was already in this job for life. I mean, I’ve watched spy movies and they never really let go of their agents. They will but they’d have to kill them. And that’s not an option.

He didn’t answer. He looked up the starry sky and remained silent.

I didn’t feel the urge to speak anymore so I cooperated with the stretching silence until all else faded.

***

The familiar shrill ringing of my alarm pulled me instantaneously from my pool of blissful ignorance. I groaned and peered at my clock, which said sixty-thirty. I sat up despite myself. Much as I wanted to sleep some more, I also didn’t want to be late for my first period. I was getting rid of my comforter when I remembered something. Or should I say, didn’t remember. I didn’t remember going up my dorm. I looked down considerably. I didn’t remember changing into my pjs as well…

With a gust of intuition, my face flushed.

Jade.

“Good morning.” I looked over and saw Jade leaning casually against the doorframe with a knowing grin on his face. “How was your sleep?” He walked over to me, sitting on the edge of my bed.

I hugged my comforter against my chest. “Mysterious.” I gave, looking him straight in the eye.

He considered that and said, “Would you mind telling me why?”

I huffed. “Well, I was wondering how I got to my room. And, into my pajamas.” I gave, shooting him a suspicious look.

He shrugged casually. “I figured I couldn’t leave you sleeping in the field. What’s with you and fields anyway?” He teased, managing to look innocent despite his aim to infuriate me.

I chucked him my comforter and stood from my bed. “How about how I got into my pajamas?” I raised an eyebrow.

He scoffed. “Don’t worry; you’re not even the least bit hot so I wasn’t really turned on nor was I tempted. You’re safe with me.” He grinned wickedly as I resisted the urge to yell at him.

I felt my head’s light bulb flick to life as an idea lit head. I smirked at Jade, who was smugly sitting at my bed and swiveled for a quick bath.

By the time I finished my hearty bath, I heard the sounds of TV from the other side of my room. I figured Jade was still there. And he was oblivious of my plan.

I stood in front of my dresser, wrapped in my towel, with my fists on either side of my waist, as I debated on what to wear. I wasn’t going for a slutty guise—just something that’d make Jade think twice about his remark. I grabbed a pair of fitting leather jeans and a white tank top that I knew would hug my figure just right. I then wore a black leather jacket over my top. I went back to the bathroom to curl my hair and put on some mascara and primer. Going back to the dresser, I slipped in my favorite black stilettos. With a grin, I made my way back to the bedroom.

Jade’s eyes visibly widened that I couldn’t help but grin wider. Who said I wasn’t hot again?

“My eyes are up here, Jade.” He looked up, meeting my lifted eyebrow, and away.

He cleared his throat. “Let’s go?” Without looking back at me, he stood from my bed and turned the TV off with the remote. He tossed it before he stalked off the room, closing the door behind him.

I grinned, slinging my bag on my shoulders. He may be hot but I’m infinitely hotter than him when I want to be *insert evil, guttural laugher here*.

------

 Shorter than my usual, I knoooooooooooow. :l Sorry about that, but I can’t think of a better ending than this so I left it at this. Don’t hate me please ;S :)

P.S. Banner on your right by the awesome fernybabe XD My first banner. Aww. Haha. Really sweet. Also thanks to ihearttwilight who constantly makes me smile :) If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be able to know how to post stuff. :) And EverBloom95 for always checking on me.

I think Wattpad shouldn't limit the dedication to only one person, haha. :) But, oh well. *shrugs*

 Vote and tell me what you think! xx

Continue Reading