Firebreak (Jackson's Hollow #...

By aemeredith

Jo Scott's life has been anything but normal since the day she sent a guy to the hospital with third degree b... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Ryker
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22

Chapter 21

258 9 2
By aemeredith

"I feel like this is a trap."

"Just enjoy it," Cal said, rolling his eyes at Jo. He flopped backwards into the grass beside her. "Besides, we're already trapped. How can it be a trap when we're already locked in?"

Jo still couldn't shake her apprehensive feeling even as she enjoyed the fresh air and the sunshine that occasionally peeked through the clouds. After a tense breakfast, where Diego scowled at them anytime someone talked too loud, he had told them they were going to train outside, in a massive enclosed field. It was Jo's first time outside of the building complex since she had arrived. The fact that they were letting this happen right after Ryker joined their team did not escape her.

What was the motivation behind this? Were they trying to see if anyone followed Ryker and if they would come for him? He had told her last night that he had traveled alone. His family couldn't be happy about that.

They'll be fine, Ryker's voice rumbled in her head, And they'll be happy when I bring you home.

Stop listening in on my thoughts.

You're broadcasting again, I can't help it.

Jo ruffled her hair with one hand anxiously. Not too far away, Ryker was dodging around in his wolf form, avoiding pieces of a log that Diego was hurling at him. She and Cal had been sparring until a couple minutes ago, when they had to take a break so they could put out a fire that had caught in the grass. The goal had been to not catch the environment on fire, so that would be a penalty against them. Wes was sitting off under a tree, grumpy about being away from electronics, while Malachi took occasional shots at Diego with a paintball gun to keep him on his toes.

This was probably some kind of taunt. A way to show her and Ryker that while they could see the outside, a way to escape, they couldn't do it. Not without PsyOps coming after them.

Babe...

I'm still broadcasting?! Jo huffed in frustration. She thought she'd tamped it down, was her anxiety that high?

No, but I recognize that look on your face. We got each other, we'll get through this.

Jo forced a half-smile on her face. She wished it was that simple–be optimistic and all would be right for the world. But apparently she had recently become too cynical to trust that things would always work out.

A log suddenly got tossed their way, and Cal shot backwards with a yelp while Jo took her frustration out on it, gleefully flaming it. But the fire wasn't intense enough to instantly disintegrate it, so she also had to dive out of the way.

There was a familiar growl reverberating around her before a large body blocked out the sun, placing itself between her and Diego.

"It's okay, Ryker," Jo said, sitting up. But she glared at Diego as she picked blades of grass out of her hair.

No, it's not, that could have hit you! And given you a concussion!

"They need to stay alert," Diego said mildly to Ryker, walking over despite the werewolf's warning growls. "I wouldn't have let it actually hurt them," Diego said, before squinting at Cal. "Although maybe a gentle tap as a reminder..."

Jo lunged forward and grabbed Ryker around the neck before he could spring at Diego. "He just wanted to hit Cal!" Jo groaned, knowing full well that if Ryker really wanted to, he could easily break her hold. "Not me!"

"Hey!" Cal frowned at them. "That shouldn't make a difference!"

Jo didn't even deign him with a response, wrapping herself more thoroughly around Ryker as he started to give in and settle. They all knew it totally made a difference.

I'm fine, you can let go.

And here I thought you liked my cuddles.

"Apparently temper and reactiveness is the biggest thing we're going to have to work on with you," Diego said with a sigh. "Still letting your emotions show."

Ryker changed back since they were still keeping their ability to telecommunicate a secret, and Cal groaned while Diego politely looked away.

In other circumstances, Jo wouldn't have minded.

"There's no reason to use that kind of provocation in a practice," Ryker said, grabbing for a pair of sweats. "Someone could have actually gotten hurt, for no better reason than to provoke me."

"And test their reflexes," Diego reminded him, turning back to face them both.

Ryker snorted. "Yeah, I'm sure that was your main goal."

Diego shrugged. "I like multitasking. Besides, you should have more confidence in their abilities. Or at least their reaction times." His dark brown eyes flicked to Jo. "Don't you think so?"

"I think you guys should both chill out," she said, hands on her hips. She was tempted to sit back down in the grass again, just to spite Diego, but she stayed on her feet. Better to not have him throw logs at her again. Probably best to not push Ryker's already frayed patience too far.

"While you're up," Diego said, turning toward Cal and ignoring Jo, "You might as well have a go at copying Ryker's ability."

Oh shit.

Ryker put a hand on Jo's arm. You're radiating freaked out. What's wrong?

Cal can mimic other people's powers, Jo said quickly, trying to keep her expression calm instead of wigged out. But I don't think yours counts as a power.

Yeah, doubt it. Ryker smirked and crossed his arms over his chest. "It's not an easy ability to copy. Shifting hurts."

Jo's eyebrow twitched. Liar. While she could tell he was trying to dissuade Cal from trying it, he underestimated Cal's contrary nature.

"Can't be too bad if you do it so much," Cal said.

She wanted to ask if he ever had trouble copying abilities, but it seemed too straightforward and it'd make Diego suspicious. Of course, everything had the chance to do that. He was an extremely cautious person.

They all watched as Cal smirked at Ryker, before the smirk drooped a little into a confused smile, and then completely transformed into a concentrated frown. Finally, he scowled at Ryker. "What, is there some kind of trick you have to do to access your shifting?"

"Well, if you have to be in a humble state of mind, we'll be here all day," Malachi grumbled, although he winked at Jo. Jo laughed in surprise as Cal shoved him–she hadn't realized the big doc had a mischievous streak.

"Sounds about right to me," Ryker said with the biggest shit-eating grin.

As If. Jo rolled her eyes at him.

Babe, I'm so humble...

Didn't we agree to always be honest with each other? She teased, enjoying Ryker's moment of pouting before he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against his chest. "Oh well Cal, looks like you're out of luck."

Diego raised an eyebrow at him. "Not that easy, You'll teach Cal how to access your ability."

Ryker snorted. "Not possible."

Oh boy. This was about to get ugly. Jo stepped forward, ignoring Ryker's attempt to pull her back as Diego came closer to them–her instinct was to stay between them to prevent some sort of fight, although she couldn't really see either of them just jumping for each other.

"I suggest you try," Diego said, tone stiff and eyes guarded. "PsyOps won't tolerate a lack of participation."

Ryker sighed and Jo looked back at him. She rubbed her forehead as she sent a message to Ryker. If we don't tell him, they'll treat you like a science experiment anyway to figure out why you're different. Maybe if we tell him, he'll help us hide you from PsyOps.

You that sure we can trust him?

Do you see an alternative? Because she sure didn't.

His eyes flicked to Diego, then back to her. We don't have to tell them everything.

No, she agreed. Mindlinking stays our secret. There was no way she was going to give up that kind of advantage.

Ryker's chin dipped slightly in agreement, then he looked back to Diego. "Cal won't be able to copy my ability because it's probably a different type of genetic mutation than yours." He shrugged. "I'm a werewolf, not a shapeshifter."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2M 363K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
2.1M 54.1K 39
BOOK 1 He hovered over me in silence while I gathered my senses. "Why are you here Deacon?" I finally asked. I heard his gruff sigh before he knelt d...
14K 2.8K 32
✪ 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 ✪ ★ 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐲𝐬 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 ★ ☆ 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝 @𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
4.1M 135K 51
Emmanuelle is running, running from a heartbreak she doesn't want to remember. Packing her things she takes off, driving to a wherever her car takes...