Enchanter

By TheMadEscapist

Harry Potter was a little boy who grew up beaten by his cruel relatives. But his destiny soon shifts when he... More

Recasting
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 29

468 22 1
By TheMadEscapist

a/n: hi readers. i'm happy to see you guys enjoying the story. next week is my prelims wish me luck. can't wait to finish this nursing term. i am in very much in need of a summer vacation haha <3

(*^*)

To Severus Snape,

I apologize for not being present to tell you these things in person. But I take it that you out of people would understand that there are dire circumstances that prevent one from doing so, especially considering that you, yourself have not been present in your own daughter's life.

Ten years ago, Lily had approached me and my deceased husband, Derrek to ask if we would be willing to raise her three year-old daughter. She said that it was not safe for the child to grow up with her and you, her father, who was actively took part in the first wizarding war. So we agreed. She had also asked us to keep Sorrel's existence a secret, even from you for a reason.

Like her brother, your daughter's fate is also tied with the Dark Lord. I'm sure you have lots of question. But I cannot tell you everything as I do not have even a clue that would to those answers. We did our best to provide Sorrell with a safe and happy childhood. We do not know why Sorrell was able to develop her own Obscurus. We think that it must be tied with her fate that she cannot escape. The Obscurus inside her body is slowly consuming her.

I have consulted with many seers and soothsayers. They've said that she does not have a lot time left, and that the only way for her to survive was for her to be reunited with you, her father. So despite my apprehensions to entrust our precious treasure, our Schatzi to you, I've sent her to Hogwarts to find you in hopes that she may survive. Lily's last words to us was that you, Severus Snape can be trusted. So I am putting my faith on Lily's words and trust you.

Inside this letter is a lockette which Lily left for her daughter. Lily had asked us to give it to her when she is ready. I believe it would be best that you be the one to give it to Sorrell instead after you explain to your daughter the dire circumstances of the past. I would like to hear this explanation as well.

I am currently travelling to America to meet with Newt Scamander in my own search for my granddaughter's cure. Please take care of Sorrell. Keep her alive. Protect her.

From Emillia Grace Schmied, Lily's great-great-great-grandaunt

(^°^)

Severus could not count how many times he read that letter before he burned the tear-stained paper, destroying any evidence which could hint what dangerous power his daughter possessed. Now Lily's locket lays cold in his pockets. He did not know how he would be able to explain and hand it over to his daughter, much less how to approach the unhappy child who decided to avoid him, by busying herself with convincing all other professors to pull her out of first year classes and place her in more advance classes, in order to avoid other students as well.

This past few days Severus Snape found himself in a daze, staring at his bare forearms that were once covered with a mark that represented his nefarious past, a mark that was now gone and permanently erased thanks to his daughter. A miraculous existence born out of the short-lived love between him and Lily. Meeting her for the first time, his daughter has shown how much more miraculous her existence was.

Never in wizarding history had there been an Obscurial able to control their own Obscurus. He would know because Snape had buried himself in the magical archives and libraries to search for one that manage to survive and find a cure. However, the information seemed to be limited as one particular Obscurial had been used as a weapon during the Global Wizarding War, and died. He had ripped the pages which hold those information and burned them as well. A familiar sense of dread sank in his stomach. He refused to loose anything important in his life again.

The school bell rang and he glanced at his pocket watch. It was time for his next class. He marched out of his office with hurried steps. Upon reaching the potions lab, he pushed the door hard, creating a loud sound which would hopefully warn any juvenile dunderheads to stop any foolery as they were about to start class. "There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making."

His eyes scanned through the class of children and stopped to glance at his godson, a young wizard with no choice but to take the path laid by his parents, which is to follow in his corrupt father's footsteps. Though his relation with Draco's parents was cemented only by mutual benefits and not friendship, Severus had made a promise that he would help the boy, his godson gain abilities which he can grasps to find an exit in the grim path that awaits him should the young Malfoy wizard wish to do so.

"However, for those select few who possess the predisposition. I can teach how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death-"

Another loud bang echoed through the dungeon potions lab as another person entered with rush steps as their potions professor did. Every pair of eyes in the room fell on the figure of the young witch with jet-black hair tied in a braid. She wore Slytherin school robes but did not appear to share any familiarity with the students of the house.

Everyone was surprised by her livid appearance, but they were more surprise to see that the head of the Slytherin house, who was rumored to have the least amount for patient among their professors, did not show any livid expression in front of the audacious transferee from Drumstrang who rudely entered his class.

"Nice of you to join us, Miss Schmidt. Seeing that this is your first potion class with me. I'll excuse of your tardiness. Take a sit," was all the Potions professor said. He did not appear bothered nor angry by the young witch's rude entrance at all. All students soon questioned whether the rumors about the terrifying professor being a terror was just a prank told by their seniors to make them nervous.

Sorrel Schmied did not seat and continued to stand defiantly in front of the Potion professor who was also her father she had been avoiding. "I've already finished my first-year potions at Drumstrung. Professor McGonagall has just informed me now that you refuse to credit my previous potion classes."

Her initial annoyance only increase when she saw that her words nor her actions gained no emotional response from him. "Yes, is there a problem?"

She narrowed her eyes, "I don't need to retake my first-year potions when I've already took classes for it. It would be a waste of my time."

"Then you should not have exploded your potion lab in your previous school. If you took your Potions classes more seriously, perhaps your previous Potions professor would not have mark you as failed."

The Potions professor replied recalling the information he had read in her transfer records, which contained a long list of similar offenses that led to her expulsion due to educational disruption. Severus knew he owed the young witch a lot, failing to do his responsibilities of his father. Now that he knew about her existence. He would not fail her now and do everything to makeup it up his daughter, but allowing her to treat her education lightly would not be one of them, as it would be detrimental to her future. Moreover, he believed Lily would also not have tolerated that kind of behavior from their daughter if she were alive.

"He only failed me because of an accident. There wasn't a single implicit proof found which could trace back to me." Sorrel explained throwing her arms in exasperation. "The only reason he failed me because he insists that I did it. That grade wasn't base on my actual performance."

"I cannot do anything to change what is already written on your report card, Ms. Schmeid. Your previous Potions professor has also marked you absent for all your classes as well. So you have no choice but to retake all your first year potion classes."

The cold man did not budge. She was begining to believe that ber theory about him being emotionally available only to his dead lover could be true. She rolled her eyes, "This is ridiculous. I doubt you could even teach me anything that I don't already know in this class."

"Really?" Severus raised his brows in amusement, curious to see the intellectuall capabilities the daughter of one of the brightesy wiych in hogwarts possessed. "Tell me then, Miss Schmeid. What would I get if added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

"I don't know," she said which cause a person who apparently did not understand sarcasm sniggered aloud in the class.

Before Crabbe, Goyle and the other slytherin students could snigger along with him, Draco Malfoy's laughter halted when two pairs of similar black obsidian eyes glared at him. The young Malfoy wizard knew that the potion professors despite being his godfather did not allow anyone to take liberties to him despite personal relarioships. Snape would spent more time to teach him, but that was how far his godfather-godson relationship gave him. That was why Draca was confused as to why the usually cold hearted wizard he knew seemed to tolerate this young witch from Drumstrang who acted more haughty than he does, even having the gall to act condescending in front of his godfather.

Sorrell rolled her eyes at confused exprewsion before continuing, "Certain potions react differently depending on the wizard's magic level. Why don't you go chug a bottle of the Draught-of-the-living-death to find out?"

Snapes pointed gaze left his pompous godson who he knew only laugh thinking that it would please him if he embarrass the young witch with jet-black hair and eyes same as his. He stare at the young witch, impress with her persistent attempts to make him upset with her spiteful words. Severus did not find offense because he understood. In terms of personality, it would seem he and his daughter had a lot more similarities, than her mother.

She was angry like he was during his own youth. He was angry at everyone, at the world, at fate for having to carry so much burdens when he was not yet given the chance to grew up. He knew she was also a lot of difficulties at the moment. Like her, he would often lash out by making his enemies bleed to death with no knife but words. Though he would prefer the young girl use her sharp wits for her advancement instead of insulting him and others, Severus was happy to see she had inherited her mother's intelligence. He hopes to discover more about the his duaghter and converse with the outspoken, bright witch but knew he had to start his class.

"Thank you, Miss Schmidt," said Snape. "For demonstrating your advance knowledge in potion. Unfortunately, you are still required to attend my classes." Before Sorrell protest, the strict Potions professor offered a compromise. "You can sleep, read a book, or work on your tasks in other subjects while in my class. You can do whatever you want as long as you don't disturb the other students or explode this lab. Take a seat."

No one else spoke afraid to be caught in the crossfire, as they watch the tranferee from drumstrang, send a final glare at their potions professor amd walk at the end of the room, and sat at the only table at the slytherin's side that was left empty.

"Note this down. The reason we alter the dosage of ingredient for certain potions because their desired effect may turn out differently for those with individuals with less or more magic. Asphodel and wormwood are used to make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught-of-the-living-death."

Everyone was surprised by the interaction between the tranferee who was now resting as she lay her head on the table with a pillow she transfrigured from a book, and their strict professor who did not appear angry at all. They were so shock that one particular redheaded student forgot the warnings of his brother about the strict potion professor who harbored great dislike for their house.

"I can't believe the transferee talked to Snape that way and survived," whispered Ron to Harry.

The young Potter Wizard replied more quietly, "Ron, I think were still suppose to stay quie-"

"Ah, Mr. Potter, our new celebrity," spoke their strict Potions Professor, making Ron and Harry almost jump to his seat. "Seeing that you are able to chat with your redheaded friend in this class, I may assume you too are also confident with your knowledge about potions that you do not see the need to pay attention."

It was now clear that their upperclassmen werent lying. The Potion professor was strict to all of his students and even stricter when it comes to Gryfindors students. They did not know why Sorrell Schmidt happen to be an exception. But Professor Snape was clearly not the type to be lenient to students who spoke without permission in his class.

Severus Snape glance at his daughter's unborthered sleeping posture, before deciding to walk closer to the young wozard who was Lily's other child to observe him closer.

Harry sent a warning thought to his bestfriend, sitting beside him. He could sense her feelings of grievance on his behalf. But he did not wish to be receiving end of the older wizard's intimidation. Hermione ignored his warning which did not made her hesistate at all as she bravely spoke out in his defense, "Professor, Harry didn't-"

"Quiet down, little girl. Or I'll deduct points from your house," replied Snape coldly. Harry held his best friend's hand under the table hoping to calm her down. This was not missed by Snape's eye. The Potions Professor suddenly asked, "Where would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

Hermione had an inkling the would test Harry using hard questions, which were only included in the curriculum for older students, just like he did with the tranferee from Drumstrang. She and Harry went over some lessons in advance during their study sessions with the others, but she was not sure what kind of questions the terrifying potions professor would throw at them. She sighed internally in relief when the professor asked a question they could answer.

"I would searched for it from the goat's stomach, Sir. I -i think it's a type of stone that can save you from most poisons," answered Harry realizing once again how fortunate he was his mind was connected with the mind which belonged to probably the most intelligent people in the world. He and Hermione had read about bezoar once but he would never be able to recall it as quickly if not for Hermione's sharp memory. The young Granger witch hid a smile, squeezing Harry's hand for encouragement.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfbane?" asked the Potions professor.

"They're the same plant, Sir. People from the muggle world call it aconite," replied Harry with a grin. He did not have to read Hermione's thoughts to recall the answer. He and Hermione had asked if they could help Remus brew his wolfbane potions for practice. Hence, the young Potter wizard was quite familiar with all of its ingredient.

"Correct. You must be very proud of yourself, Mister Potter." Snape sneered at the sight of the boy's grin which made him resemble like the juvenile swine James Potter was. "Have you come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you would like to request to skip my class as well?"

Before his best friend could attempt to protest against their professor's biased assumption, Harry answered staring straight back at the older wizard, "No, Sir."

"Compared to an actual Potions Master like you, I don't know a lot about Potions. I only did some advance reading to prepare for this class, Sir. So I'd like to have the opportunity to learn more from you if you'd allow it." Harry continued, "Potions was actually my mother's favorite class."

Severus froze as a clear, bright green emerald eyes stare back at him once again. It was a pair of eyes that reminded him why he grew fond of this profession, despite never aspiring to be a teacher. Among the groups of dunderheads, he would occasionally would meet some student with very bright eyes, reflecting their eagerness to learn, reminding him of Lily during the years when they were both young Hogwarts students. This was Lily's son.

"It was."

Snape replied glancing back at his daughter whose head was still tucked within her folded arms. As he had expected, the girl did not show any interest in hearing anything about the mother she shared with the young Potter wizard. "I entered Hogwarts the same year as your mother and father. You inherited your mother's eyes and intelligence. Thank Merlin for that. It would have been your misfortune if you had inherited both your father's face and brain." He continued, "Your mother, she was one of the brightest witch during our time. She would have been happy to learn her son has taken interest in potions as she did-"

"One point for the house of Gryffindor."

If they had not been afraid of being scolded, the jaws of many young witches and wizard inside the class would have dropped. Never had they heard stories of the head of the Slytherin house giving points to Gryffindors. Perhaps they have just witnessed one of the rare few times in the history of Hogwarts, the partial Slytherin professor give house points to a student that belonged to his rival house.

Snape sensed the curious gaze, realizing how his behavior must have appeared strange to the students and quickly marched back in front of the class, "I believe that is enough mindless chatter in this class, turn your potion books to page twenty-eight. We will proceed with concocting a basic potion to cure boils for your first Potions class."

Despite Professor's Snape terrifying aura, the student began to realize why their Potions professor manage gained the infamous reputation of being tough on his students. It was because the Potions professor was exceptionally competent in the subject and thus, had exeptionally high standards for his students as well. He was able to give clear and detailed instructions, as well as explanation about the magical properties of each ingredients and how they interacted with each other. He was often cold and stoic most of the time. Even when he was scolding students who were not able to follow instructions, it was only the tone of his voive which would give away his annoyment. It seemed that it was very rare for their professor to show strong emotions such as anger and contempt in his expressions. Moreover, it seemed to occur sporadically in his classes.

'Do you think Professor Snape is part-werewolf like Uncle Remus?' Hermione thought to Harry, theorizing their moody Potions professor must have been also infected with lycantrophy which could explain his sudden mood shifts, since the particular species were known to be also quite moody due to the changing phases of the moon. Harry hid a smile in amusement, continuing to work on their potion.

The entire class pause once again, when the transferee from Drumstrang marched in front on the class with a bottle of potion, which she poured onto one of the test frogs covered with boils. Everyone did not question how the young witch could brew a successful potion so fast, thinking that only students with no common sense or ones with exceptional abilities would dare to argue with the infamous Potions professor. Sorrell Scmied was obviously the latter.

"I'm done. Can I go now?"

"Excellent work, Miss Schmidt," said the Potions Professor, nodding his head in approval. He levitated the now cured frog in a separate cage to be released back to the Black Lake with the other frogs after being cured. "You have earned yourself three point for the house of Slytherin."

"I'm not interested in participating in the silly house pointing system of this school. I have advance transfiguration classes after this. I just wanna be dismissed." Sorrell sneered earning a few, silent glares from some competitive students from the Slytherin house.

Severus, the clueless new father could only sigh, "Then please be careful on your way, Miss Schmeid."

(YoY)
a/n: there was suppose to be two more scenes included in this chapter. But i only finished up to here haha. i hope you still enjoyed this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

312K 10.2K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
147K 2.8K 31
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
277K 8.3K 63
❝ Shut up,❞ ❝ Make me, 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬.❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 no matter how hard she tries to resist, the daughter of Hades ends up falling for Percy Jac...
1.1M 48.1K 94
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC