Midnight Neighbor | 18+

By akawaiiisan

♤♤ MATURE CONTENT warning ♤♤ • • • He's charming. He's handsome, hot as f*ck, talented, charismatic. People h... More

|| summary ||
0|| Disclaimer
1|| You're like, ancient Soph
2|| Negligence
3|| Unaware
4|| Her ignorance
5|| Familiar
6|| A Shocker
7|| Disbelief
8|| It will end in tears
9|| Realization
10|| Game
11|| Olivia
12||Harrassment and Assault
13|| Fail Safe Plan
14|| Risky
15||For his Sanity
16|| Conflicted
17|| Overreaching
18|| Shameless
19|| Blessing
20|| Undercurrents
21|| A Memorable Night
22|| Only for you
23|| Drive you wild
24|| Behind The Scenes
25|| Starved
26|| Much too Impulsive
27|| Interrogation at its Finest
28|| Dangerous urges
29|| Insatiable
30|| Snake (part 1)
30|| Snake (part 2)
31|| Unease
32|| Honesty
33|| Assumptions
34|| Bad Memories
35|| Who is that Woman
36|| His Persistence
37|| Unforseen Changes
38|| Banter
39|| Burning Curiosity
40|| Petrified
41|| Undercurrents Flow Once Again
42|| Unbelievable
43|| Oversight
44|| A Small glimpse is Enough
45|| Recklessness
46|| Show me
47|| Accidents and Confrontations
48|| Say it
49|| Exposed
50|| First Impressions Last
51|| Two Truths and a Lie
52|| Always Two Steps Ahead
53|| Silent Wars
54|| Then comes the Fall
55|| A Gift
56|| Contempt
57|| Hurt people
58|| Importance
59|| Quite the Scare
60|| Making Plans
61|| Her Dominance -Shortlived
62|| Angst
63|| Theft of Joy
64|| Uncertainties
66||Miranda
67|| Motherly Woes
68|| Blame
69|| Bittersweet
70|| Priorities
71|| Art of Gathering Information
72||Cater to You
73|| Keep a Secret
74|| Love so Pure
||Content With You {MN extras 1/?}
||Content With You {MN extras 2/?}
|| Her neighbor {MN extra 1/?}

65|| Under Pressure

5.8K 254 143
By akawaiiisan

Unedited~
• • •

There wasn't a lot that could describe the feeling coursing through her body at this exact moment.

Sophia felt...weird, her heart beat was loud in her ear and the sinking feeling inside her chest made her hairs stand on end.

Sophia, although barely awake, didn't really know fully what to make of her...situation. In fact, she couldn't do so even if she tried.

She felt...oddly light, as if suspended midair after running a marathon, that feeling soon plagued her with short of breath and a weird sense of drowsiness that prevented her from staying awake fully.

Around her, there were always voices. Infact, it felt like days went by yet the hazy voices never left and whenever she tried to focus on one, it felt as if she over exhausted herself and needed almost a full hour to recuperate. She couldn't smell, taste or feel a thing in this hazy exhausted state nor could she see the bright light beyond her eyelids, but she heard everything. Although...making the sounds form into words were a task within itself.

If anything, her condition could be closest and clinically described to a state of drug indused high that numbed her senses to the point where she was completely delirious. Sophia had no way of knowing or seeing the team of highly skilled individuals who worked hard, some even sweating as they did their very best to bring her away from deaths door.

To Sophia who went in an out of conciousness repeatedly, with what felt like an hour interval inbetween, it was no different than a secluded nightmare. Although there were times she resurfaced and heard the chaotic rush, most of her time was spent dead to the world and when noise finally left, there was only dead silence.

She truly had no concept of the flow of events happening around her and Sophia could barely remember what led her up to this point.

When Sophia finally regained her sense of self enough to think. The first thing she thought of was the dull throbbing from certain parts in her body, her parched throat and weightless body.

Sophia tried long and hard to open her eyes but they felt so heavy, as if weighed down by lead and the harsh lights beyond her eyelids weren't doing her any better. She tried and in the end it got too taxing to even move a finger. Minutes later her surroundings went dead silent again.

Sophia was gone.

Sophia barely put up a fight against the drugs that were administered only some minutes ago into one of the few IV tubes still dripping near her tempoary bedside. She was completely knocked out and the nurse who stood by her bed recorded the few changes, improvements, and any other oddity inside her clipboard.

Surveying the scene with a clear and keen eye, the nurse soon sighed. The audible sound was a mixture of relief and wonder.

The patient before her was previously in a very tough situation. Her case was a tricky one that had trembling twist and turns. The senior Trauma Surgeons in this hospital were among the best in the country and at first, they thought it was child's play to be summoned for a simple gunshot wound to the back but reality proved different than what they thought and it made them sweat collectively.

Her first surgery was done immediately after she was brought in. It took a few hours but surgeons who were used to surgeries spanning up to 48 hrs, it was almost too simple and quick leading them to believe she had quite the background to be operated on by their senior specifically for something so minuscule. That was what they thought originally but got quite the shock when her once stable condition pumetted before she was fully off the operating table. With possible death on the table and their patient seizing and going into shock, it took a lot for them to calmly work through the situation.

They were busy for many hours but in the end, they pulled though.

The nurse thought the signs of her coming to so soon was great news. A risky patient like this one dying on them would've more than likely run their reputations straight in the ground. While accidents do happen and you cannot save every patient on the operating table... It'd be dire if anything untoward were to happen.

Plus...they all knew who's family was overseeing and paying great attention to her stay.

The nurse lingered for a while longer and surveyed her condition, paying great attention to even the most minuscule details. She made sure her vitals were stable and that the patient was in deep sleep before later deciding that the check up was completed. Since the patient was already showing signs of consciousness, all they had to do was monitor her closely, administer another dosage of the pain relieving drug in 12 hours and she'd most likely open her eyes again in a few days. The nurse was sure but wouldn't bet on it being too long now.

The nurse took a very deep breath and squared her shoulders. She left the bedside and held her clipboard firmly as she walked the not too long distance out of the very spacious room.

As expected, before her feet could even land over the threshold, she was bombarded by three people, coming from all sides.

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"How is she?"

"Is Sophia okay now?"

"Is she awake-?"

They swarmed her like bees and buzzed around with their many questions. The nurse, whose done it so many times before since the day started and these people appeared, quickly gave a simple explanation to calm them.

"Yes she's okay," The nurse reassured them, "the final dosage of medication for today was administered, at least she won't feel the worst pains in her initial stages of recovery."

The oldest and more mature woman out of the three sighed to herself, mostly in relief and took the nurses hand, "Thank you."

Facing the woman's teary-eyed gaze, the nurse felt a pinch of sympathy.

"She's already showing good recovery," the nurse added, "I cannot guarantee a timeframe for this week but it wont be long now-"

"Dont worry Marie," The other man reassured, "Sophia is strong, she'll be okay."

Marie nodded solemnly, later turning back to the nurse, "Is there any signs of her condition relapsing perhaps?" She was quick to ask, her hands suddenly very fidgety with her nerves.

The nurse shook her head a little, "Your daughter is okay and I do agree that she's one of our better patients." The nurse displayed her great optimism with a gentle smile as she finally moved from the door. Her trained eye, for a moment, slid from the three people wanting information to the other man lingering some paces behind and she swallowed thickly...

Ah...he was here too.

"-If there's anything," She tore her eyes from him and continued, "...anything you need at all, don't hesitate to call us in. You can visit her now but please, keep the noise down to a manageable level." With that, the nurse nodded with finality to all of them and was off.

Seong and Kayla, joined by Marie and a familar stranger who lingered tentatively on the outskirts of their group silently watched her leave then after sharing a look with that familiar stranger, they left him and quietly crowded into the room Sophia occupied.

Marie was the first to react, seeing her daughter still on the machines and with thin tubes injected into her arms. Choking back a sob, Marie lifting her hands to cover her mouth and ran to herdaughters bedside. Seeing her daughter laying like that, so quiet and unresponsive, it felt like her hear was being squeezed by a malicious hand dug deep into her chest. She quickly took Sophia's hand as gently as she could.

Behind her, Seong and Kayla serveyed the scene. Both were in a dim mood. The entire situation was shocking, spurred by an unexpected turn of events. No one could smile in this situation. Hearing footsteps, both turned to the only other person who suddenly joined them inside the hospital room. That man who was no taller than Seong, looked and appeared very solemn as he stared for a Sophia's direction.

He later turned to them. Although similarly young and looking in his early 20s, the dark shade under his eyes made him look older and in contrast to either of them, he was dressed a bit more formally.

"How did this happen?" Kayla asked in a whisper, needing to be held by Seong to remain upright, ever since she heard the news her knees felt weak as jello. Kayla was already so sensitive now her best friend, almost sister, fell into such an awful state all of a sudden. Who in her situation could remain calm and upright?

The familiar looking man who introduced himself as Jiho Osoro, lifted a hand to his head, frowning slightly. He didn't have an answer for them.

"We're still unsure..." Although he was trying his best, Jiho's somber mood made his speech not very reassuring.

"So there's nothing? At all?" Seong replied in question again, he couldn't help that his voice sounded bit accusatory. Who could blame him...with a family like this, the criminals should've been caught within the hour but an entire day already went by with no new updates.

He only knew bits and pieces of what happened. Previously, it was just a normal day at work for him when the news hit their department. He could barely focus after finding out his own friend was implicated and took an immediate day off without caring about backlash from his supervisor.

The first thing he did was to find Kayla, which was a task then Kayla brought him with her to Sophia's mom. They found Marie as she was preparing to leave her house and were met with another dilemma. They didn't even know where to find Sophia. In that regard they didn't have to worry long, not long after, this guy, Jiho, showed up and led them here. After sitting and staying awake overnight previously, knowing Sophia was undergoing surgery did not make any of them drousy.

Earlier this morning they tried not to pester the man with questions knowing he had to be feeling just the same as them, since his own brother also got injured in the process. Currently, that urge and curiosity couldn't be suppressed anymore.

"I hear it was Ethan," Seong spoke up out of the blue, causing Jiho's eyebrows to raise.

Kayla's expression worsened, hearing his name, she wasn't surprised though. There was enough witnesses on that day so Ethan's involvement couldn't be hidden from the media. She cursed "Son of a b-"

"You're also familiar with...that man?" Jiho immediately asked, a new emotion on that always blank face of his.

"Of course we know that awful SOB." Kayla huffed out, frowning deeply, "He wouldn't leave Sophia alone-!"

"Shh kayla, don't yell-"

Kayla quickly shut up and her eyes slid to where Sophia was. She breathed through her nose and muttered her apologies. "-And what do you mean Seong-" she continued in a lower voice.

"I did have access to some info that was censored before it went public and I just..." Seong sighed and casted a knowing look towards Jiho Osoro, "I hope you'll keep us updated with everything, we deserve to know."

"I don't doubt that-" Jiho looked away. There was a strange look in his eyes as he continued, "I really could've stayed to monitor my brother's condition...knowing how worse it is but...I chose to come here and I'll do everything in my ability to help."

Both Kayla and Seong stared at the man infront of them, long and hard. Although they hated that this happened...they knew Sophia was the happiest after meeting that...Elijah Osoro. In the broader sense they were just too ignorant of the situation to form their own opinions. They could only mostly linger and make sure Sophia was okay and to be there when she opened her eyes.

"Thank you for that," although begrudgingly, the suddenly teary eyed Kayla murmured her heartfelt thanks and left Seongs side, going over to Marie, who seemed to be having a severe cause of tunnel vision. Marie hardly even spoke or ate and only kept at Sophia's side.

Seong watched her go and his eyes soon slid back to Jiho who stood before him.

"I'll trust you," he sighed, "You didn't need to but you're here and I appreciate it." Seong meant it wholeheartedly. It didnt escape his notice that Jiho was the only one from that family to recognized the fact that both Elijah and Sophia got shot. Even the media hardly lingered on it, only choosing to draw most of the focus to the injured man.

It left a sour taste in his mouth but he guessed it was maybe all for the best.

"Believe me," Jiho surprised him and immediately raised both his hands in surrender, "I most definitely have to be here, not only for her sake but my brother's as well..."

His sudden insistence caught Seong off guard. Seong nodded slowly in response.

Jiho looked away with a sigh, not even noticing. "When he wakes he's not gonna like this..." he murmured more to himself than to Seong standing in front of him.

Seong guessed thought there was definitely some underlying implications in his statement but decided to let it pass. He wouldn't bother himself with the finer details.

Sophia's awful situation aside...he really had other equally important issues to bother himself with. He left Jiho and his complicated gaze slid to Kayla who stood by and silently patted Marie's shoulder reassuringly.

Remembering what he saw on that apartment coffee table when Kayla panicked and ran off to get her things, his gaze got even more complicated.

♡♤♡

True to the nurse's words, Sophia's eyes fluttered open a little over two days later.

It was dim inside the room when she opened her eyes. Sophia felt thankful as it enable to adjust to her surroundings easier. She stared at the ceiling for the longest of while, experiencing a train thoughts that flew through her mind at the speed of light. She tried to catch on to the most important bits because her memory after just waking was too fuzzy.

She got hurt?

That much was very obvious from the dull through and needle-like pricks of pain that shot through her body whenever she moved for even an inch. Her chest burned like fire, her lips felt weirdly moist as if someone kept layering lip balm at every opportunity and her throat felt dryer than the Saharan desert. It was so dry it hurt a bit and felt scratchy when she swallowed.

She could breath but every deep breath felt like needles in her lungs so she kept it short and minimal until she was comfortably breathing in quick pants.

Her body was slowly waking up and she was coming into terms with her injury.

Sophia guessed the reason for this and the more she thought about it, the more distressed she became. As she turned her head, she spotted two figures laying on the sofa on the farthest side of the room and when she looked to the other side of her bed, she saw her mother, Marie asleep with a small blanket on her shoulders hugging herself.

Sophia's eyes slid to the windows but the blinds were drawn. She didn't know what time it was. She turned back and wanted to speak but once again, every breath felt like needles in her lungs and diaphragm, she could only manage a barely comprehensive huff. The small sound did not move anyone.

Sophias distress soon turn to irritation at her own helplessness, it caused her to writhe on top of the bed and as she continued to writhe she only felt more pain from her head and upper body. Soon, the sound on the machines behind her bed began beeping noticeably louder than normal.

It successfully woke her mother up.

Marie quite literally flew up to her seat and even though her eyes weren't fully open she leaned over on the bed, a hand immediately going to the side of Sophia's face, "Shh Sophia, sweetie, I'm here, it's okay-" the sound of her mothers voice surprisingly felt calming. It made Sophia a little teary eyed. She felt like such a wreck.

Water...she mouthed as best as she could. The last time she was this thirsty was very long ago.

Her mother understood immediately, "Water? Okay, I'll get you water, I have it right here, do you need me to help? -okay I'll help," It was as if her mother materialized the bottle from thin air. It even had a nozzle to help her drink and to not spill it everywhere.

Her mother attentiveness made Sophia even more concerned. She wasn't used to this...was she dying?

As thirsty as she felt, Sophia couldn't take more than two gulps before it became unbearable. She turned her head and once again, her mother understood without needing to hear her speak.

Sophia lifted a hand to her neck, coughing lightly.

"Ma...its hurts," she whispered in a barely audible voice.

Her mothers gaze softened, "It's okay baby, I understand, you're recovering, you're all okay now-"

Sophia's entire body hurt and under her mothers constant hushes and reassurance, the hazy memories became clearer than before and her eyes began to tear up as she remembered the entirety of what happened. Even as her head hurt at the overexertion, Sophia's expression got worse and worse.

Her already hurting heart fell to the pits of her stomach as she stilled then looked around with a sudden sence of urgency.

"Eli..." she murmured, Elijah was bleeding. He definitely got hurt, why didn't she see him anywhere here?

"-Where's Eli-" her voice was choked up. As weak as she was, she still had the strength to weakly grab onto her mother's hand. Her soft spoken questions caught the attention of the two individuals in the farthest side of the room. Seong and Kayla quickly got up and rushed over, realizing Sophia was awake.

"Is Eli okay?" Sophia spoke and that dreadful feeling never went away, she looked around at the three surrounding her bed but they all looked solemn and unconvinced as they answered her.

"It's okay, Sophia-" Kayla sounded reassuring.

"You're still hurt, you need to focus on recovering-"

Not hearing what she wanted to hear, Sophia turned away from Seong and Kayla to her mother who stood the closest, her eyes were pleading and frantic with worry, "Tell me Marie...tell me he's okay, tell me he's just in another room down the hall-" she begged even as her throat started hurting.

"He's okay," her mother spoke unhesitatingly, "but we don't know where...I don't, -I mean his brother said-" as if she realised what she was about to say, she caught herself. Marie hesitated to finish afterwards, as if searching for the right words.

Sophia however, knew immediately what this meant, even as her body ached and her mind was a bit foggy.

No way...they didn't-!

Her eyes went wide afterwards, brows furrowing in disbelief, "He's not...here?"

The shock and hurt in Sophia's voice tore at their heart strings. Her mother's especially who only just realized why that Jiho was so hesitant to say why both were being treated in far different locations.

His over-compensating and apologetic attitude when he met them at first made her realize...surely this was something the man himself, Elijah Osoro, would never agree to. Unless...unless all the decisions in this regard was being made by someone else.

Maria realized immediately that there had to be something going on that she was unaware of. She was not unused to tension amongst family and Sophia's disbelief resonated with her as if it was loud bells on top of a cathedral.

"They...separated us...?" Sophis continued after a long moment. The crack in her voice was even more soul shattering.

Everyone got the next shock of their life only seconds later as Sophia began moving, gritting her teeth and lifting, as if forcing herself to sit up.

Marie nearly fainted. -This was too much! She shot forward.

"Sophia No!"

"Sophia stop-!"

All their voices were in sync as they rushed to her side, all trying their best to keep her still and to get her to lie back down. They had to be gentle which gave Sophia the absolute advantage against them.

"Please Sophia-" Kayla begged, "You'll tear your stitches-!"

Neither of them knew why just that simple matter they didn't think much of made Sophia so restless and downright careless of her own condition. They hardly touched her to prevent something unsightly and did the bare minimum to keep her down but all of that seemed to work in her favor. Eventually, Seong pushed the emergency nurse button just inches near the bed.

It was as if she suddenly lost the ability to feel pain. Sophia struggled against all three that held her down and felt even more panicky hearing their shouts.

Sophia's actions weren't exactly thoughtless. In fact, she had a lot of that and her own guesses. Elijah's mother had to have a hand in this. Was that what she was to them? An afterthought? Was it a dream come through to finally get this opportunity to keep them away from each other? They didn't dare show up to squeak in his presence but now they suddenly felt they had the right?!

It angered Sophia so much she wanted to get up and go exchange some choice words with that mother of his!

Sophia couldn't stand it, that and how weak and exhausted she became after moving a few times.

Still, How dare they-!

Elijah would've never let her out of his sight after something like this if he was...okay...which led her to believe he simply wasn't. Her heartbeat on the machines behind her was erratic which led everyone to panic, they didnt know what to do and Seong hit the button a few more time for the nurse.

Sophia hadn't even realized she started crying until tears started to blur her vision. Seong, Kayla and her mother stood aside and allowed the two nurses that rushed in to take over. One immediately tried to calm her and the other immediately went to work.

Sophia was breathing heavily, hyperventilating as if she just ran a marathon as she watched the second nurse, ignoring the first one completely.

"This'll help you feel calmer-"

"-It'll only take a minute or two to kick in," the nurse spoke calmly.

Opon seeing that other nurse retrieve a very scary looking syringe that she then went on sticking and emptying into the bag hanging from the iron branches. Sophia sobered up and her eyes followed the tube slowly, she was further mortified seeing that the tiny tube led to a needle already injected deep to her hand.

"No-!" Sophia gasped. She did not want to experience that high, drugged induced sleep again-!

"Oh God-! Hold her down-!"

"Don't let her tear it out-"

The room delved into another round of pure chaos in seconds.

♤♤♤

Marie's expression was grim. She sighed to herself softly, lifting a hand to her throbbing temple as she listened to the nurse going over the instructions left by the doctor.

They couldnt allow a repeat of Sophia's outburst and while she recovered, they had to keep the problems to a minimum. It took a while and before they left, they made sure to emphasize the importance of no agitation for their patient.

Marie agreed and made that her duty to do so. She couldn't imagine why her daughter would struggle to the extent of nearly tearing her stitches upon finding out that man was being treated elsewhere but again, she thought of the familial tensions and couldn't imagine her daughter being subjected to that.

Marie looked around the room, it was even better than the last one her daughter stayed in over half a year ago...after that elevator incident. She couldn't believe how fast time flew.

The doctors and nurses they met were nice and there was no security chasing them out on the pretenses of visiting hours ending. By the lack of patients next door, Marie was sure only a specific few would be able to occupy this area.

That Osoro family obviously didn't skimp on her daughter's treatment yet... after the outburst her thoughts weren't very optimistic.

Maybe she wasn't the best to her daughter in her younger years but regardless, Sophia was still hers, if this was mistreatment on their part it wouldn't sit well with her at all. As she stared down at a sleeping Sophia, Marie sighed. If only she was better...maybe Sophia would've already confided in her about whatever the issue was...

Marie soon got up and left the room quietly. Not long after she stepped outside, she immediately got ambushed by her younger daughter who ran up to hug her waist.

Marie tried to smile and turned to face the two women who got up off the bench and was walking to up her. Seeing them still lingering around. Marie was surprised.

These were just a two of her relatives, her own sister and another family member. Marie's contact with her own family was brief over the years but ever since her daughter started showing up in the media, these people began displaying their interests to reconnect one by one.

"Oh you're still here?" Marie didnt hide her shock or change her tone to placate them.

"Of course! We've been waiting to see you for so long," one of them responded.

"-So glad you could make it," Marie smiled and took her son, Mikah from her sister just as he started getting fussy.

"Of course, I had to, hearing my little niece suffered so much...I could hardly sleep," the woman began in a sad tone. The other woman she stood with was somber as well, patting her on the back.

"Its not just us, mom and the family got quite upset about this as well...when you moved states, we thought we'd never see you again but these past few days were hell-"

"I couldn't believe it when I heard."

"You know how they get, we didn't want them crowding so we came instead," The woman smiled.

Marie smiled but it didnt quite meet her eyes. If the situation was different she would've had some...words to share with these family members.

If she remembered correctly...when she got pregnant with Sophia...it was her own family that forced her into marriage with that same man who later took her far away from them to a completely different state, further isolating her and becoming a source of hell in their home.

Her family...they did it all because of the hyper religious community they were apart of, more concerned about reputations over her personal well being.

Their casual front now felt like an insult to Marie's face. To think after years of no contact...this was their excuse to finally look for her.

Marie had her inner grudges but brushed it off in the next second. This wasn't the time nor place.

"-And thank you for looking after Mai and Mikah, at such short notice," Marie muttered her thanks, hugging her son closer and keeping her hand on top of Mai's head.

"It's nothing, We know it must be so hard on you now... plus I didn't know you had these two, we need to catch up, they're the cutest and are so well behaved..." she looked down at Mai who was peeking over her shoulder at her with obvious dislike.

"Thanks, the sitter will be here shortly to pick them up and take them home, they'll be out of your hair in no time."

Marie's sister knelt down, "Its nothing really, my neices and nephews are so cute, I'd do anything to spend more time with them-"

As the other woman went to take Mikah again, Marie forced herself to not hesitate and passed him back to her. Mikah was too sleepy to care about the constant switch but Mai shared a begrudgingly look with her mom, dodged her aunt then walked to sit on a chair by herself. A blind man could tell she wasn't pleased by her aunt's constant fawning.

Marie was left standing alone, she didn't focus on that too long, she bit on a fingernail and thought of what to do. Right now it was only her and a few others here. Sophia's friends already left nearly an hour ago and would return early next morning.

Marie lingered at the door to Sophia's room thinking she might as well go back in and wait but a figure soon caught her eye.

It was that man.

Both of her eyebrows rose up. He's already back here?

Marie hesitated on her feet. She really had a few questions for that Osoro guy. She ultimately chose to follow that figure and later heard another voice as he rounded the corner.

Those voices she heard mostly revolved around her daughters condition but soo it began sounding like he was discussing something heatedly with the other man. Suprisingly she also recognized that voice. He was speaking with Sophia's primary doctor.

♤♡♤

Jiho wasn't having the greatest time. His face was grim, expression dull a cold dark night and as he continued to get the details on everything regarding the Sophia Smith. His expression didn't improve not one bit.

He only took one moment yesterday to go back and get some firsthand news of the situation involving his older brother and it gave him a headache. Coming back here now, he was immediately met Sophia's odd behavior that could've put her health at risk.

Not counting the day both his brother and Sophia Smith got injured, only three days had lapsed by and not one day was better than the last, both internally for them and externally.

While Sophia only suffered a gunshot wound to her back, his brother suffered two, one to his chest and the other to his arm and while the doctors thought it was a miracle that it missed his heart by only inches it didn't make his condition any better. His brother lost a lot of blood and could've died at the scene if first responders had been a minute slower. Hell, the surgery itself was long and arduous.

Elijah only woke up once and barely stayed awake after that surgery and after that he was mostly unresponsive, as if in a deep sleep. The doctors were optimistic but optimism couldn't quell the chaos that their family delved into with Elijah suffering such a life threatening injury.

As the majority shareholder and the CEO, even just a scratch to his arm would make many jittery. The press release of his condition improving was quick yet most their immediate family knew it wasn't that simple.

Their father wasn't incapable of shouldering the weight left behind and he was quick to substitute for now. And their father wasn't only focusing on Osoro.co at the moment. He was appalled and enraged that someone would dare and was working overtime to root the one's responsible out of the shadows where the hid. Every last one other them one by one.

It had only been three days since the incident yet their lead already cracked under the pressure in only two. Jiho didn't know how far his father got in that task now but he guessed it wouldn't be very long before they all answered for this. Their father was intimidating when he wanted to be and if one were to see him now, they'd realize just where the majority of Elijah's cool calculated ruthlessness and determination originated from.

Their mother, on the other hand, completely focused on Elijah and even those relatives who'd question and make quiet scalding remarks were silently going about their day at the the family home. In the private hospital where Elijah was currently recovering, only few had access to its ward. This much security couldn't be questioned after such a brazen attempt on Elijah's life...Jiho however, thought it was a little overkill.

Plus, why on Earth was Sophia on the other side of the city in a hospital...? He couldn't help questioning everyday.

'Elijah wouldn't like this.' Jiho caught himself thinking more than once. But with their father being so busy and Elijah being out of commission. No one felt they had the right to question it. And the ones with the authority to question it, the few from the Osoro's god damn elder generation, they were more than happy with this decision since according to them, their Elijah started respecting them less when the other woman entered into the picture.

Jiho could only bite his tongue and bide the time. Knowing they'd eventually have to face Elijah if he woke up to this, gave him some relief.

Their mother would of course, regret ever having to make that decision.

In the meantime, Jiho did his duty going back and forth, making sure the situation was at least okay on Sophia's side.

He was positively sure he was the only one in their entire family who knew how important that one woman was. He was with his brother before and after she came into the picture and before she did, he couldn't even imagine his brother smiling at him in anyway or being so...brotherly instead of the ruthless stone-hearted boss who drowned him in work to test his aptitude. A man who was unmoved and told him to "Keep up, don't bother me," when their mother took away his privileges and dumped him on the cold hard steps of Osoro.co.

Jiho listened as the doctor droned on and on and when he was finally done he excused himself and left.

Jiho paused, he needed time to come to terms with everything. He stood still, taking the shortest moment to simply breathe.

Overtime it could get...hard on him alone but he didn't dare crumble under the weight of his responsibilities. He mimicked his brother in every way, if he fell under the weight how could he dare call himself an Osoro sibling?

Jiho barely had a few minutes to breathe before he heard shuffling of footsteps behind him. He was forced to straighten his shoulders again, getting rid of the pitiful persona.

He turned just in time to a woman tentatively approaching him. Marie, if he remembered correctly, Sophia's Mother.

Her eyes as she approaching him seemed to be staring right through him. For a moment Jiho thought shit-! Then inadvertently sighed afterwards. Jiho didn't know why her stare made him feel restless and in the end, he chalked it up to this whole situation that was taking a huge toll on his mental health. Plus...how long was she even standing over there...?

She looked as if she had many questions, he even felt the hesitance radiating off her body to ask and prepared himself but in the end, she only mustered up simple, "Is everything...okay with you?"

Jiho blinked, surprised.

This was the first someone asked him that question directly. Since the incident, a weight was indeed pushed onto to his shoulders like no other, he was busy with the major affairs of Osoro.co, assisting their father in anyway he could, managing things with the hospital here and getting updates from back home. Combined, it was a lot. Jiho tried to smile but it came out a bit more somber than intended.

"...So sorry to hear about your brother," the woman continued, "Is he well?"

"Yes," Jiho answered, his response was a bit quicker than usual, maybe because he already got used to placating shifty relatives and corporate leeches with apparent good news of his brother's health. "He is," Jiho continued some time after.

"Sophia's...okay," She looked pensive, "So I know he will be, don't worry," Marie suppressed all her other questions she had for him and did her best to console and reassure him instead.

What she saw just now, in that small moment when he thought no one was looking, was no different than a young boy who seemed so close to drowning under waves of pressure. Being a senior, she recognized this feeling all to well.

Questions about her daughter's...situation with their family could come after when the two was awake and well.

After a moments hesitance, she reached up to give him a small pat on the back then let her hands fall. He looked very appreciative of her small gesture.

Jiho always had a favourable impression of Sophia and seeing her mother's concern, it increased his favorability for her immediate family as well. Just as Jiho opened his mouth to make a light hearted response, now that he was in a better mood, his phone buzzed in his pocket harshly interrupting him.

Jiho frowned a little. He debated on ignoring the call but didn't dare. He held up the universal hand gesture for 'a moment' while he fished his phone out of the suit jacket breast pocket, the black jacket wore over a hastily thrown on white shirt.

He looked apologetically at Marie who nodded understandingly then walked to take the call which was from an unsaved number.

"Hello, this is Jiho," he answered as he always did, professionally yet hardly keeping his tiredness from his voice. Hopefully whoever it was would hear his fatigue and keep this short.

There was only prolonged silence on the other end of the line. It continued long enough for Jiho to check the screen in slight wonder. Seeing that the the mystery caller hadn't hung up, he lifted it back to his ear.

"Hello?" Jiho spoke once more, brows furrowing. He really was in no mood for jokes today.

"Hello, Little brother..."

Jiho stilled, quite literally froze up in shock, after hearing the voice on the other end in his ear.

Who...?

That slightly familiar yet strange voice...the voice of a woman he hadn't heard about or from in years.

One he'd never forget.

It caused some hairs all over his skin to rise and caused his scalp to tingle. That vibe he got was no different than when his older brother addressed him. Jiho's eyebrows furrowed even more, his lips were pursed in wonder as he began gripping the phone to not let it slip from his hand. He recognized that voice immediately.

"Now..." The woman's voice continued amicably, "-my flight will be landing at Mercy International in an hour, are you gonna be there to welcome me? Or...would you rather I find you myself?"

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
269K 7.5K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
809K 14.4K 54
18+ | Angel and demon brought together by accident. Sparks fly and moans reverberate through their bedroom but...neither one knows who they are to e...
39.6K 744 77
I had a one night stand with the self-proclaimed businessman of Manhattan, New York. I have told myself it can't happen again, it just can't. I get t...