Icy Inferno (Troyler AU)

By TroylerToujours

Tyler is a Fire. He's a hot-headed student who seems to do well without trying. Troye is a Water. He wants to... More

⋙ Chapter One
⋙ Chapter Two
⋙ Chapter Three
⋙ Chapter Four
⋙ Chapter Five
⋙ Chapter Six
⋙ Chapter Seven
⋙ Chapter Eight
⋙ Chapter Nine
⋙ Chapter Ten
⋙ Chapter Eleven
⋙ Chapter Twelve
⋙ Chapter Thirteen
⋙ Chapter Fourteen
⋙ Chapter Fifteen
⋙ Chapter Sixteen
⋙ Chapter Seventeen
⋙ Chapter Eighteen
⋙ Chapter Nineteen
⋙ Chapter Twenty
⋙ Chapter Twenty-One
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Two
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Three
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Four
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Five
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Six
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Seven
⋙ Chapter Twenty-Eight
⋙ Chapter Thirty
⋙ Chapter Thirty-One
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Two
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Three
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Four
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Five
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Six
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Seven
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Eight
⋙ Chapter Thirty-Nine
⋙ Chapter Fourty
⋙ Chapter Forty-One
⋙ Epilogue

⋙ Chapter Twenty-Nine

3.3K 208 642
By TroylerToujours

You are new

Never seen that face before

Punched in school

I guess that's what those scars were for

You Are New ~ The Trouble With Temptation

Grace

As the thunder tolled up ahead I found myself heading towards the window. Outside a storm was brewing. Torrents of rain were added to the mix, and it pounded against the windows desperate to escape. Darkness was stirred by a witch who cackled in the heavens above. Somewhere children would be crying, holding onto their mothers as they feared the sky was going to be ripped apart.

I couldn't care about elsewhere though - I had to care about here, out on the street below. I was expecting to see them any moment now, according to my source. They were to pass in a bright red car, looking lost. I didn't know why exactly I agreed to this. I guess it was hard to say no to someone you liked. Well, maybe more than liked.

I didn't know how I ended up in such a mess - a beautiful mess, but it was a mess all the same. It was odd to think that, up until four months ago, I had lived without any of sort of emotions prevailing me. I thought I was just ordinary. I glossed over the news because it didn't affect me. I believed I could do nothing to save the world I lived in. I'd resigned myself to a life of regret and misery.

Then she came into my life and suddenly life meant that bit more. Suddenly the meetings meant a bit more. Suddenly my status meant a bit more. Suddenly, being "normal" was a strength.

Somehow I managed to save myself. And I'd been working on saving everyone else since.

I might've thought she'd saved me but that's not how soulmates work. They support you as you become a better person. Romantic or not, everyone has a soulmate. I was just lucky to find mine before it was too late.

A car engine sounded in the distance. Checking that everything was in order, setting up all that was needed, I figured it was time. I darted down the stairs, holding onto the rails before I fell face first in the floor. I slowed I reached the door in order to look calm and collected. When I was ready, I swung open the door. They were now driving down the steet, about to pass me by. Waving my arms like a lunatic, I jogged towards the car. They saw me and swerved, before coming to a halt. The driver's window rolled down. I walked towards them, with what I hoped was a sincere expression. Judging by their expressions, I was the only person they'd seen in this ghost town.

"What kind of idiots goes driving about in a storm?"

It was the driver, the one with black hair, who answered. "The kind of idiots who can't find the Tu-Tube Hotel."

"Yeah that would be because the place got shut down a few months ago, you know, since the troubles started."

"Fuck what do we do now?" The blue-haired one in the back seat groaned.

"We could keep driving on to the next town-" the brunet giant with hobbit hair began.

The driver shook his head, spraying water like a wet dog. "No I've had enough of driving."

"Well what do suggest Phil?" The giant sneered, staring down the man who was only a few inches shorter. Unfazed, he shrugged. He was tapping the steering wheel, thinking carefully before making a suggestion.

I knew this was my last chance to talk to them, that they were about to slip from my fingers if I didn't stop them. I was pretty certain these were the people I needed, seeing as they all looked like the photographs. "I don't mean to interrupt, but do you think you can help with the weeds?"

Three of them looked around the area, absolutely clueless as to what I was saying. They had a right to be - we were in the middle of a derelict concrete jungle, where no greenery existed. It was the one named Phil who responded. He seemed mildly shocked, yet he coolly replied "Why don't you use sheep shears?"

"The emo goose took them."

"Even the fluffy ones?"

"Even the fluffy ones," I said with a smile. They were the one's, and they wouldn't be leaving any time soon - not on my watch. "You're welcome to stay at mine until the storm let's up. It's number 666."

"Did I miss something?" The blue-haired one asked again - the one I could now correctly name 'Tyler'.

"It's code. For the resistance," Phil replied.

He scoffed. "It's not exactly subtle."

"It works, and that's all that matters. If you join, you can bring that up and get it changed."

The window rolled up and they parked on the side of the street. I led them into my home, I checked the street, ensuring they hadn't been followed, before closing the door.

They had already made their way to living room, looking round as if in a foreign land. "Cute hamster," was the first thing Dan said upon entering.

"I wish I could say that's the weirdest compliment I've been given," I sighed.

"This place is gigantic. And lovely. I love the colour scheme," said Troye. "It's very chill. Like the calm before the storm."

"Thank you Troye," I smiled. Hardly any one liked the colour scheme- Then I froze.

He hadn't told me his name yet.

A string of curse words whipped round my head. He didn't react though - at least, not outwardly. Perhaps he hadn't realised I wasn't meant to know his name, too oblivious to the weirdness. I had to hope that was the case. He continued to look at the furniture and then said "There's not many photos though."

"No."

"Don't you like having family photos about?"

"My relationship with my family is complicated to say the least. I'd rather have blank walls than reminders."

He frowned but before he could question it, I told them all to take a seat and make themselves comfortable. They did just that. I noted that Tyler was kept glancing at Phil. It wasn't a look of anger. It was more like he was desperate to talk to him. About what, I didn't know, but ti looked like Phil was purposely avoiding making eye contact.

"Would you like anything to drink?"

"Coffee would be nice," Tyler said.

"Urm, could I have some apple juice?" Troye asked.

"Sure thing" I managed to withhold his name that time. "And for you two?"

"Do you have any tea?" Dan asked.

"Urm, I have green tea, if that's any good."

"No proper tea?" Phil asked. His face resembled a child who'd dropped their ice cream.

"I wasn't expecting British people. If I'd known I would've brought tea and scones." Although it was meant as a joke, it was partly true. Despite all I knew about these people, nationalities hadn't been prioritised. If I'd been organised I would've known that.

"That's a harsh stereotype."

"And yet you want tea."

Dan cleared his throat. "Please may I have green tea?"

"Certainly. And you?" I felt pleased at avoiding the use of his name.

"Just water, please."

I nodded and walked out to the kitchen.On the counter were four cups already ready. One was apple juice, one was water, one was coffee and one was tea. Just like she'd predicted.

I checked the temperature of the coffee and tea. Although the coffee was still hot, the tea was now lukewarm - definitely not suitable to drink. I poured it down the sink and refilled the kettle.

Whilst it boiled I went out to serve the other three their drinks. The quiet tones of a conversation hushed when I returned to the living room. They watched as I settled down the drinks. One muttered something about it being quickly done, but I couldn't place the voice. I stepped back as they took their drinks. Dan glanced up at me, about to ask about the tea, before I said "The kettles just boiling it should be done in a moment." He nodded, not overly invested anyway.

Troye frowned at that comment, but looked away from my eyes, instead deciding to look at the hot coffee in Tyler's hands. Sensing that he was being stared at, Tyler looked over at Troye. He hurriedly brought the cup to his lips, taking a huge gulp. Suddenly the glass was half empty.

"Does hers like her apple juice?"

"Hers does."

The two smiled in such a way it was obvious they were besotted with one another. And yet Troye looked unsettled. He glanced back at me. We stared at one another for a second, before looking in the other direction entirely. After that was silence.

When the silence stretched out to an uncomfortable level, I plucked up the courage to start a conversation. "So, what brings you to this hell hole?"

"Just passing through."

"To go to where?"

"Not sure yet. We're trying to find someone."

"And who might that be?"

"Why does that matter?" Troye asked gravely.

"Sorry, I've put my foot in it haven't I? Whoops, " I said with a bashful laugh. "I'll just go and check that tea."

I rushed back to the kitchen, trying to calm down. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

My phone screen lit up. Three missed calls, from the terror in my life: my father. I almost groaned out loud. I didn't need this right now. Instead of calling him back I rooted fro just listening to the first voice mail he'd left.

"Hey bambino, just calling to check you're well. It's a shame you couldn't come to the gala but illness is illness, and we don't want it to spread. Like hell do we have enough diseases caused by those elementals!" He laughed cruelly. Then coughed. His serious tone that I was all too familiar with returned. "Anyway, I know you might not be able to do this as you know, you're a woman, but if you could send me that spreadsheet regarding threat levels in the west, that would be great. Don't worry if you can't, I'll be round next week to do it myself if needs be. Okay, great, ciao!"

I'm strong enough to carry your corpse to the woods, I think I'm more than capable of sending you a file. I deleted the other two voice mails without listening. It'd just be the same message, seeing as they all saw me as a ditzy blond incapable of remembering anything. I couldn't understand how they could be sexist if the person they practically worshipped was a woman. Perhaps they believed she was the exception to the rule, and the rest of us women were too weak to understand why that was.

Perhaps that wasn't a bad thing though. At least it meant I went by undetected.

Satisfied with that thought, I scrolled down to find another contact, knowing I had to call sooner rather than later. As always, after two rings she picked up. Before she had a chance to speak, I said "I've found them."

Silence for a moment, then a sharp intake of breath. "Where are they?"

"They're here, in my apartment, right now."

"Okay I'll run back."

She ended the call and I smiled. I  wouldn't have to wait too long... I just had to hope the gathering in my living room wouldn't up and leave before then... or try to attack me.

The kettle had finally boiled. I poured the water into the mug and waited for the tea to brew. As I did, I became aware of the silence in the other room. I glanced through the doorway. Troye was pacing around, rubbing his hands together anxiously. The others watched with worry.

"She's very young," Troye said eventually.

"What?" Tyler breathed a laugh. It was clear it wasn't a laughing matter though.

"I said she's very young. And that doesn't make sense. Look at this place - it's massive! How would someone that young have so much money?"

"There are plenty of reasons. Drug dealing, thievery, robbery, taking on someone's who's died identity-"

"Yes but what's more likely? Usually, only people who aren't elementals have enough money for a place like this."

"That's not necessarily-"

"Everything's very... mundane, don't you think? Everything screams it. She's got nothing elemental. Not even that goddamn sign we all have to have in our houses. And family photos? The only reason you have no photos up is if they were recognisable, and you don't want to be recognised... And she seemed to recognise us. All of us. There's that look in her eye, as if we're familiar. She knew my name even though no one's used it since we turned up in this town. How did she know my name?"

As if sensing the gravity of the situation, Tyler put down his coffee. "What are you trying to say?"

"I don't think she's an elemental. She can't be... So who would help elementals if they weren't an elemental themselves?"

"Shit you don't think-"

"I've got tea," I said overly loudly, strolling back in with the tea. I realised the tea bag was still in and clumsily pulled the string to get it out, chucking it onto the floor. The other's just studied me, a new found dread in their eyes. It probably reflected the fear in my own.

"What's actually going on here?" Tyler asked.

"Huh?"

Troye was the one to speak up. "Everything about you is too suspicious. You live in a big house, and yet surly you don't have enough money to buy it yourself."

I rushed to remember I'd invented weeks ago. "My father died, and left this to me. I don't like having photos up to remember him. I haven't gotten over it yet."

"You have nothing elemental in here?"

"Why would I? I don't want to get caught."

"We all have to have the warrant saying we are in fact elementals, and it's meant to be displayed."

I paused. "It must've fallen down."

"You knew my name," Troye said.

"A guess... Look I don't know what your trying to suggest but let me tell you-"

There was a knock at the door. I thanked my lucky stars. "I better get that."

I hurried to the door, trying to remain serene. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Tyler move into a defensive stance, and Dan cracked his knuckles.

I opened the door. I smiled.  Troye gasped.

"Hannah?"

*

Troye

"Start from the beginning. Not your birthing and all that. The beginning of whatever I'm seeing here."

We'd all sat down, wanting to talk out whatever was happening. Hannah and Grace were sat on chairs, positioned in front of us as if on interrogation.

"It was at the therapists. In the waiting room. You remember, Troye, that I told you about I'd found a girl?"

"How could I forget? You were so happy."

She blushed. "Yeah well, this is the girl."

"I'm a lady thank you."

"We were both alone, and no one else was there. She was chewing gum, and you know how much I like gum. I asked her for a piece, she asked me to die. It's a weird sense of humour but I liked it - still do. We got talking and haven't really stopped since. I'm not a big believer in fate, but sometimes some things are meant to be. And I think our... friendship was one of them."

Phil looked at the pair thoughtfully. "You know, it's rare for elementals and powerless to form attachments with each other."

"That's not politically correct any more, apparently. It's meant to be normals now."

How lovely. Even Grace looked disgusted with the new phrase. Powerless was degrading to them, but normals was degrading to us.

"Well, between normals and elementals. There's been many studies into it. Incredibly rare."

"Incredibly illegal too," Dan said.

"DAN!" Phil and Tyler both scolded him. They glanced at one other at their  synchronicity, but Phil hastily look away.

"Oh come off it we were all thinking it! It's dangerous, that's why it's so rare. It's not because of genetics, it's because it's been ingrained into everyone's minds that elementals and normals have to be separate." Always have, always will be. Like day and night. The idea that any bond can form between the two breaks that belief. You can't break a belief system without paying a price."

The room temperature fell to glacial numbers. I could hear the pitter-patter of outside that would never stop, and a storm that was eternal. Even when the sun broke through the clouds I knew this storm would be lurking still.

"Thanks for that Dan."

"Your welks."

Grace bit her lip. "At least we're not shouting it out to the world. It wasn't until we'd known each other for a month that Hannah slipped it in that she was an Elemental. I was surprised... to say the least, but by then it didn't matter. It shouldn't matter, should it?"

Tyler made a snorting noise. "Go tell the government that."

"Believe me, I've tried."

Each of us, bar Hannah, frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked cautiously. I didn't want my earlier accusation to be right any more.

Grace breathed in loudly. Her face relaxed. She began to say the words we dreaded most. "My family are some of the founding members of the Anti Elementalist Party."

Lightning struck outside. Seconds passed soundlessly before thunder roared through the flat. We were quiet, terrified, vexed out our minds.

Tyler looked between the two in front of us. "What are you playing at?"

Grace stood up, moving her hands up and down in her attempt to calm him. "Before you get all ragey I'm not a part of it. I think - know - it's wrong. I've never joined them on their little excursions to hunt out elementals, or helped pick the music to play in one of the propaganda ads."

"She's being honest Ty," Hannah said. And I believed it. Grace tried to act composed but her voice broke occasionally. It was as if she was a glass bird, afraid of flying in case she fell. And she was falling now, because Tyler didn't believe her.

"You expect me to believe that someone who's related to people who are part of the party that just wants to segregate us?"

"Well we believe you, and your in the same boat," Dan said.

Tyler winced. "It's different for me."

"How? Because your family wanted elementals to be the ones outside the confinement camps? It's still discrimination."

Tyler blinked. When his eyes opened they were clearer than perhaps they'd ever been. His face paled, his mind clicking thoughts into place. He backed down and apologised. It was evident that Tyler meant it sincerely, by the way his eyes filled with a sorrow only a person wallowing in regret can have. Grace eagerly accepted, breathing out as she realised she was out of harms way.

"I never joined them with the political stuff, or any stuff to be honest. I didn't think I could do anything about it until I heard about the resistance. It's a god-send really. I probably would've become some crazy cat lady if I'd kept silent."

"So what exactly do you do?" Tyler asked.

"Hannah for starters," I mumbled.

"Troye!" Hannah hissed. Tyler appeared proud of my comment, smirking as Hannah's face grew red. He found my hand and held it, a silent way of congratulating me.

"Well, I'm allowed to sit in on AEP meetings, to "gain experience". They don't know that I have bugging equipment. Every conversation they have, every plan they draw up - I know it. Well, most plans at least. Sometimes they like to improvise. You know, kill a few more innocent civilians, that sort of thing."

"Do you have any of these recordings on you?" Phil asked.

She nodded, standing up and going to the desk positioned by the window. Her legs shook as she moved, the only thing betraying how nervous she still was. She asked Hannah to get her laptop as she went. From within the desk she pulled out what looked like a normal clicky-pen. She came back to the gathering and unscrewed the top. Instead of an ink cartridge a load of wires appeared. After fiddling with them for a moment, she connected it to the laptop. Then a recording started playing.

They spoke meaninglessly of different locations, which didn't interest anyone, until Dan asked "what do those places mean."

"It's the location of the different confinements."

"Yeah. I'll print it off."

She was about to turn it off the recording then when one voice said "Are you sure Yokela is heading for Bersted? Last I heard it was Pinevale."

"Monty wouldn't dare. It's too close to the news station. Khanye-Knot says he's going there."

"How does she know."

"Inner source, innit."

"When are we to ambush him?"

"I thinking on the sixth. We'll plan more when it gets closer to the time, but, for now, I think I'd like to get a nandos. Grace?"

"There isn't one around here."

The recording ended.

"Well at least we know where to go now," I said.

"Maybe we should get moving now," Tyler suggested.

Grace shook her head. "There's no use going out in that storm. You won't get far tonight. My offer from earlier still stands. You might as well rest here for a night or two."

I was grateful to accept her offer. After a small meal that involved crackers and cheese, she gave us a brief tour so that we knew where things were. Then she led us to the guest bedrooms. She assigned Tyler and I to the one at the end of the corridor, and then left us to it.

"Well it's been a long old day today. I'm glad I can finally go to sleep," I said with a yawn.

Tyler, who was already in bed smirked at me. "And I'm glad we're finally alone. You know, I doubt anyone can hear us-"

I spurted water at him.

He squealed. His face was drenched. "What was that for?"

"You're too thirsty."

He rolled his eyes and dried off his face. "I can't help it. It's in my blood. The flames can only be quelled by a majestic water who satisfies me."

"Are you aware how cringy that sounds?"

"Look if it gets you into bed it's worth it."

"Who said I was getting into bed? For all you know I might go and sleep on the couch."

"Really? You'd want to sleep on a horrid sofa when you could be with me?"

"Not a good enough reason to stay," I said, l putting my hands on my hips. It was a lie, of course, and he knew it. I wanted to see if he'd beg or not.

"A better reason than to cuddle the love of your life? Wow... Let's see... I'm scared of the dark, so I need you to hold me." He attempting to look naive and cute. Most of the time it would've worked, except this time he had a slight curve in his smile and a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

"No you're not."

"Yeah well, seeing as there's a full moon out, you'll probably come in here anyway. Might as well save me the hassle of waking up at midnight."

"I mean being in the same house should be enough-"

"Just stay with me?"

"What's the magic word Tilly?"

"Please?"

"Alright then."

He watched as I moved forward, taking off my jeans and shirt before I went to lay besides him.

"I always forget how muscular you are."

"That's because I'm not. I'm weaker than a butterfly."

"I don't think you realise just how strong you are," he said, leaning up onto his elbows to get a better view of me. "Not just physically, mentally too. Strongest person I know."

"You're just overestimating me, that's all."

"If anything I'm underestimating you. You could dominate anything."

"Including you?" I asked cheekily.

"All I'm saying is," he said loudly, trying to cover up the fact his face had turned red, "you could conquer the world with just one hand, if you wanted to."

"Well, maybe I could, as long as you were holding the other one."

He rolled his eyes but continued to smile. "Stop being so adorable otherwise I might kiss you."

"I wouldn't be complaining."

He planted a soft kiss on my lips. It wasn't lustful or passionate or anything like what you'd expect from a horny fire. It was tender - a starlight joy when the world around us was so dark. We didn't deepen it, and it wasn't long. It was exactly what we needed in that moment of security, after a day filled with too many emotions to count. For a moment we forgot about the storm around us. We just remembered we had each other, and that was enough for now.

When the kiss ended he snuggled up to me, nuzzling our cold noses together. I pulled the duvet over us, entangling our legs to stay as warm as possible. But he grew restless and shifted, so that his back was against my chest. I didn't complain. He fitted against me like a key in a lock. And I guessed he was the key that unlocked my heart.

The sweetness of the moment ended a moment later. Through the walls I heard a soft chuckle followed by a cackle. Tyler grew shocked and sat up. "Wait but that's Dan's laugh. Oh my gosh is he with Phil? Why are they in the same room? What's happening?"

"Whatever it is. I think it's cute. I'd ship it... What would there name be though? Dail? Dil? Pan? Phan?"

"Literally stop," he said with a laugh. When the laughter dried up in his throat he said, "It's barely a ship though. A teacher and a student? Hardly conventional. Definitely too weird for me."

I rolled my eyes, knowing he couldn't see me, but doing it regardless. "Can you even hear how hypocritical you sound right now? You're a Fire dating a Water! That's not normal either!"

"But-"

"It's late. I need sleep." I yawned, reaching the other side of the bed to turn off the lamp. "Night Ty."

"But-"

I grabbed a pillow from underneath my head and chucked it at his face. "I said goodnight!"

A/N

Sorry for the lack of Troyler even with the PoV change but hey, smirky smirk for the next chapter because of reasons I cannot disclose just yet for suspense wut wut (but I mean I will say that they will be in the house alone and things happen or do they oooh suspense)

Hopefully it'll be up soonish because I managed to write a bit of it before realising I'd missed a chapter (please don't ask let's just blame the exams okay?)  I am.absolute trash at the moment, from pastel/punk phan fics, to watching Orphan Black till midnight, to listening to Florence + the Machine all day everyday. And do I regret it? Hell no! I just hope I won't be trash enough not to update but I make no promises (what a lad I deserve a cheeky nandos thank you for your consideration)

Au revoir mes petits pois!

(Yes that really does mean my little peas - it's meant to be sentimental in a weird way)

Emma x

~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.3K 1.4K 25
Troye and Connor are both highschool seniors, they live next to each other and their parents are good friends. This is why they are forced to go on a...
565K 21.3K 61
Would you know that you and another person are meant to be if he lived in the same room as you? In most cases, all it would take is for that person t...
55.8K 2.8K 40
Tyler and Troye meet by chance in a cafe and it's love at first sight. Everything is looking up with cute nicknames and a relationship like the fairy...
4M 196K 38
***EDITED AND REVISED VERSION IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON IN PAPERBACK AND KINDLE*** "You wrote my name wrong" "You said it's Rider" "It's Ryder with a Y"...