The Land Set Aflame

By keltonwelch

In the Kallawlands, everything burns. Prairies, homes, hearts - the wildfires will take it all. Some fires ar... More

Chapter 1: The Rogue Elemental
Chapter 2: The Lambent Lights
Chapter 3: The Nymph's Daughter
Chapter 4: The Heroes of Kernohest
Chapter 6: The Half-Spirit
Chapter 7: The Heart's Ember
Chapter 8: The Sleep Spell
Chapter 9: The Blacksmith's Furnace
Chapter 10: The Little Fireball
Chapter 11: The Mud Fight
Chapter 12: The Fairy's Hair
Chapter 13: The Muddy Escapade
Chapter 14: The Master
Chapter 15: The Loss
Chapter 16: The Ritual
Chapter 17: The Tallas Hills
Chapter 18: The Beasts
Chapter 19: The Healer's Touch
Chapter 20: The Nymph's Curse
Chapter 21: The Shadowflame
Chapter 22: The Messenger
Chapter 23: The Umber Well
Chapter 24: The Wizard's Tower
Chapter 25: The Wizard's Door
Chapter 26: The Wooden Ring
Chapter 27: The Talisman
Chapter 28: The Nymph's Kiss
Chapter 29: The Kallaw
Chapter 30: The Shadow Gate
Chapter 31: The Shadow Dryad
Chapter 32: The Tainted Forest
Chapter 33: The Master's Call
Chapter 34: The Swords of Oak and Shadow
Chapter 35: The Elemental Heart
Chapter 36: The Dance of Darkness
Chapter 37: The Obsidian Shard
Chapter 38: The Gust of Wind
Part 39: The Cursed Wound
Chapter 40: The Twilly's Count
Chapter 41: The Second Kiss
Chapter 42: The Mixed Blood
Chapter 43: The Dark Kallaw
Chapter 44: The Message
Chapter 45: The Bedroom
Chapter 46: The Nymph Queen
Chapter 47: The Magical Bow
Chapter 48: The Fireproof Pillow
Chapter 49: The Heart of Aevenwy
Chapter 50: The Protector
Chapter 51: The Single Strand
Chapter 52: The Fickle Heart
Chapter 53: The Whiteflame
Chapter 54: The Crossing
Chapter 55: The Crossing (Again)
Chapter 56: The Swallowing Vines
Chapter 57: The Three Arrows
Chapter 58: The Dryad's Magic
Chapter 59: The Path
Chapter 60: The Wailing Spirit
Chapter 61: The Touch of Flames
Chapter 62: The Childhood Friends
Chapter 63: The Dark Pain
Chapter 64: The Heart's Burden
Chapter 65: The Sisterly Bond
Chapter 66: The Confusion
Chapter 67: The Whisper Blossoms
Chapter 68: The Talons
Chapter 69: The Rubble
Chapter 70: The Notebook
Chapter 71: The Flower Bed
Chapter 72: The Land Aflame
Chapter 73: The Gray
Chapter 74: The Heart Aflame
Chapter 75: The Homecoming
Chapter 76: The Firefight
Chapter 77: The Prejudice
Chapter 78: The Fireplace
Chapter 79: The Mended Flesh
Chapter 80: The Confidence
Chapter 81: The Chains
Chapter 82: The Strategy
Chapter 83: The Approach
Chapter 84: The Deal
Chapter 85: The Goodbye Kiss
Chapter 86: The Whispers
Chapter 87: The Bonds
Chapter 88: The Master of All Flames

Chapter 5: The Dancing Flame

9 2 0
By keltonwelch

Svenden had to admit that he'd always found elementals fascinating: spirits clothed in a sheath of a natural element. Nothing about that seemed plausible or comprehensible to him. And yet, he'd seen enough elementals in the past month to know they were real. A living fire bounding across the land with human-like intentionality was truly a remarkable sight, as terrifying as it was.

But the thing on the stage was just an illusion, designed to look like an elemental, albeit an unnaturally human-like one, shamelessly adorned with feminine curves to engage and titillate an enthusiastically appreciative crowd. The same crowd that pointedly steered clear of fairy folk on the streets. No one was comfortable with fairy magic, unless it was some kind of performance.

For his part, Svenden preferred the streets to this place: the streets had fewer fairies, and fewer people to judge him. He rubbed his thumb against the wooden ring again, feeling oddly self-conscious about what it was hiding from everyone around him.

Magic.

He could scarcely bring himself to look at the dancing girl illusion. The hairs on his neck were prickling at the magic and the ember in his heart was sucking at his soul.

But Leofric applauded louder than anyone and leaned over towards Callyndia. "I picked the name for her," he was saying, "In the primordial language of the spirits, 'Kithana' means 'pretty' or 'sweet'."

Svenden exchanged a look with Callyndia, who smiled and applauded Melser's illusion. "Oh, is that what it means?" she asked Leofric while winking at Svenden, "How fascinating!"

Svenden sighed. "She's a fairy, Leofric," he said, "She speaks the language of the spirits better than you do."

"Oh, but it's a good name for her," Callyndia said quickly, "She's very pretty."

Melser seemed to have overheard her from his position on the stage. "I do the best I can," he said, bowing to Callyndia. Dark hair tumbled about his face, and there was a look in his beautiful eyes that made Svenden feel a little jealous, in spite of himself. "But had I known beforehand that a beauty such as yours would grace my tavern this evening, I might not have tried to compete."

"Oh, she's every bit as pretty as I am," Callyndia said, "Does she also dance?"

"'Does she dance?' the lady asks," Melser said to the crowd, "What do you all think? Should I have Kithana dance?"

The crowd erupted into cheers and applause.

"Well, my lady," Melser said, looking down at Callyndia again, "It seems we know what they think! So, let's see, shall we? Kithana! Will you dance for us?"

He gestured towards the flame shaped like a woman, who curtsied demurely as he backed away, off the stage, hooves clopping lightly. At another wave of his hands, the lamps around the room dimmed and a lute appeared in his hands. He strummed a series of soft arpeggios, and the illusory woman began swaying gently in time with his music.

As the music picked up, accompanied by an unseen ensemble of other stringed instruments, the 'Kithana' illusion gracefully and delicately executed a flawless series of slow, graceful dance steps that would have made any flesh-and-blood dancer envious. In the dim light of the tavern, she was a mesmerizing sight: her long hair trailing behind her in whirling tails of flame, her long skirt billowing and flapping like angel wings, and small, roiling blobs of flame trailing behind her as she moved elegantly to the next dance step.

Her face didn't show a lot of expression, though.

The music jumped into a faster pace, and the illusory dancing woman burst into an excitingly shapeless blaze that erupted like a fountain, then reformed into Kithana again, dancing and spinning vigorously across the stage.

Svenden had seen this show before: Leofric had dragged him along to see Melser's rehearsal a couple days ago. And while Leofric's enthusiasm for the dancing-girl illusion never seemed to fade, Svenden was feeling anxious and wary, assaulted on all sides as he was with wave after wave of fairy magic, inundating his senses and raising the hairs on his neck.

Like Leofric, Callyndia was apparently fascinated with the illusion, but her face, normally the habitat of warm smiles, was surprisingly measured and contemplative as she watched. She turned to make eye contact with Svenden, as if she had felt his eyes on her. He felt her fingers lightly caress his hand, causing him to jump ever so slightly in surprise.

Her voice echoed in his mind and tingled on the back of his neck: Relax, Sven, she said, though her lips didn't move, It's just illusion magic. It won't hurt you.

He quietly pulled his hand away from her and pretended to turn back to the illusory woman on the stage. Callyndia didn't try to speak in his mind again.

The performance wrapped up with a dramatic finale in which Kithana whirled into a maelstorm of flame before collapsing back into the little fireball and rolling off to the side. Melser stepped back onto the stage and let his final chords ring through the tavern before the lute vanished into thin air.

The gathered crowd loved the performance, and responded with wild applause and loud cheers. Melser waved his hands, transforming the fireball back into Kithana, and the two of them bowed to the audience.

"He's a remarkable magician!" Callyndia said to Leofric as she applauded, "What a wonderful performance!"

Svenden was just glad the magic was over.

Well, most of the magic, anyway. There was still a tiny, magical ember of nymph charm burning quietly in his heart.

At least that magic was quiet.

Sort of.

-----

Okay, at this point, I feel like Svenden's not coming off as very heroic anymore. I mean, Callyndia seems really nice, doesn't she? Maybe he should try to give her another chance.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59 11 18
The only certain things in this world are the sun, the moon, and the monsters that skulk across the land beneath. Hoping for a better life and many a...
18K 363 20
"Okay, come on. We're both adults here. We can tell people we're...together." - Jake. Permanent. Like Sharpies. That's what they were looking at now...
1 37 43
This story is about creatures of different species, they are called spirits and they have elemental powers. This part is about Hot,who is a fir...
133 23 38
When the Elementums died at the Great Battle of Xaria, everything changed as the Witches conquered all the kingdoms. Over a hundred years later when...