Beyond What Is Divine - Volum...

By Malli_Kui

A single moment possesses the power to inherently alter someone's life forever. As fate would have it, Arai I... More

Prologue: Present Days
Chapter 1: Night Walk(Part 1)
Night Walk(Part 2)
Interlude 1
Night Walk(Part 3)
Chapter 2: Molding the Mental Image(Part 1)
Molding the Mental Image (Part 3)
Chapter 3: Patrol And Battle At Ueno Park(Part 1)
Patrol And Battle At Ueno Park(Part 2)
Interlude 1.5
Patrol And Battle At Ueno Park(Part 3)
Patrol And Battle At Ueno Park (Part 4)
Interlude 2
Chapter 4: Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other ( Part 1)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other (Part 2)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other(Part 3)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other(Part 4)
Interlude 3 - New Sensations
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other (Part 5)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other (Part 6)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other (Part 7)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After the Other (Part 8)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other (Part 9)
Strange Situations Taking Place One After The Other (Part 10)
Chapter 5: Date! Confrontation! The End? (Part 1)
Interlude 4
Date! Confrontation! The End? (Part 2)
Date! Confrontation! The End? (Part 3)
Interlude 5
Date! Confrontation! The End? (Part 4)
Interlude 6
Date! Confrontation! The End? (Part 5)
Date! Confrontation! The End? (Part 6)
Epilogue - The Comeback of Ordinary Days....Maybe (Part 1)
Epilogue - The Comeback of Ordinary Days...Maybe (Part 2)
Epilogue - The Comeback of Ordinary Days... Maybe (Part 3)
Epilogue - The Comeback of Ordinary Days...Maybe (Final Part)

Molding the Mental Image(Part 2)

13 0 0
By Malli_Kui

Classes are over at last!!! Aside from the chat with Omori, today was uneventful, I'm glad that it has come to an end. Fetching my backpack, I leave the room along Ren and Tatsuo. We stroll through the long corridors packed with students, heading to the entrance of the building. The two of them are talking enthusiastically about a new horror movie that will come out in three months, it seems that they are both big fans of one of the actresses who will star in the movie. I content myself with just listening to them. As we are leaving the building, I force myself into the middle of the conversation.

-Gotta pull a jolt move on you guys. I can't leave with you two today.

-How so and why?

-Yeah! What are you babbling now? Could this by any chance be interpreted as meaning that you're not enjoying our company? How can you insinuate it so cruelly, Ikuto?

Tatsuo grabs my shirt as his moist eyes flutter, small tears welling up in them.

-I'm not implying anything, I just have an appointment! Man, dont be a drama queen.

-Appointment?

The two doofuses speak at the same time in puzzlement. Not even three seconds later, their confused expressions dissipate and mischievous smiles bloom on their faces. Uwoh, this can't be good.

-A appointment huh? Sounds a little suspicious. Who is the person you're meeting up? A girl perchance?

My face turns a little red because of the precision of Tatsuo's kick.

Why is he so good at getting it right when it comes to women? If only he was like that for other affairs, my life would be much more easygoing.

As they saw the plain state of unrestness I'm in, both of them let out a hearty chuckle.

-Naughty boy, getting a girlfriend before we do, eh, you big stud! Who's the lucky girl?

-Stop making baseless assumptions like that! It's just that I accidentally took Omori's notebook and only now I reminded myself to give it back.

-Hoh, you can't fool a love expert.

-Since when a dumbass like you is knowledgeable at love? I'm also telling the truth!

-You don't have to be shy and hide it from us, man.

-We understand, and isn't that a good thing too? You're going to be alone with the girl you have a big crush on, a chance like that falls upon a man once in a lifetime, so don't waste it.

I lower my head and take a deep breath, suppressing my impulse to slap them on the back of the head. These two won't listen to me, so I don't think trying to give an explanation would do any good.

Still, it is heartwarming to see how much they support me, we're like brothers that will always have each other's back and I truly love and prize our long time bond.

-I want to hear all the details later, okay? You won't escape.

-What are you? A little girl wanting to know the latest gossip?

-Keep in mind to take a condom with you, Ikuto. Protection is important, I also believe that you're not too fond of the idea of becoming a father so early. Then, see you later!

-Just shut those mouths off and go, you numbskulls!

Without paying any attention to my insult, the two nod to me and leave the school. I go straight towards the gate and lean against the wall beside it. Ren's words stick in my head like glue.

I'll be staying alone with Omori and on top of that I'm heading over to her house.

Darn it! Why does my heart insist on beating so fast? I shouldn't feel this way just because I will be alone with a girl! I am no longer in elementary school nor in junior high where these childish reactions are common, I am in my last year of high school! Nearly a grown man now!

As my thoughts spin in a fiery flurry, a small hand taps my shoulder. Taking another gulp of air to calm my heart, I turn to see Omori, her crystaline blue orbs transpiercing my view.

-I'm so sorry, did I make you wait for too long?

-N-no need to sweat over it, I don't think I've been here for more than two minutes? Probably less than that.

Her cute face softens it's features, mitigation overflowing it.

-Thank goodness, I'm not a fan of letting someone wait. So, shall we go, Ikuto-kun?

I merely nod to her as I don't have much to tell.

We began to stride next to each other through the streets that in a couple of hours will be bathed in orange sunset light. Should I try to engage her in a conversation to kill time? A valid notion, plus, I'm eager to ask her a question.

-Hey Omori.

-Yes?

-Why do you call me by my first name? It's true that we're in the same class, but we're not close friends.

She starts to curl a strand of her purple hair, that motion makes her even more beautiful.

Being in love is tough, even the simplest of gestures seems like the most precious thing. A shout out to all of my comrades going through arduous times in their love lives out there!

-I don't like formalities so I prefer to call you by your first name, but in case it bothers you I can stop doing so and adress you by your surname.

My shoulders shrug in insouciance.

-I don't mind you calling me Ikuto, but please no suffix, and I want to call you by your first name too.

-Huh?

-Is this proposition not to your liking?

She shakes her head in response.

-I do not mind in the slighest.

-Sweet! - I chirp at her.

Silence envelops us, but unlike our initial encounter over a year ago, I no longer feel the nervousness that would cause me to break into a sweat or heighten my anxiety. Perhaps I have developed a resilience to those sensations, thankfully.

-You know, I've been curious about something. - I begin.

-No one is stopping you from speaking. - Aika replies.

-I'm aware, so... how did you discover my adress, Aika?

Aika gazes at me with a vacant expression.

-Ikuto, have you forgotten that I am a mage? - my companion reminds me.

Ah, that's right. Why did I entertain such a foolish question? It's evident that she must have done so through unnatural means...

-A silly question from me, the answer should be quite obvious.

-Nah, I'm just teasing you. I went through your wallet and stumbled upon your ID card. There was a note with your address, presumably in case you lost it. - Aika confesses playfully.

-Haha, you're quite the comedian. Perhaps you should consider doing stand-up shows. - I retort.

We reach the intersection that I traverse daily with Tatsuo and Ren after leaving school. Aika and I turn left and proceed on our path. After a brief while, Aika halts in front of a white house. It appears spacious yet not excessively grand, a comfortable abode for a family of four or five, exuding an air of coziness.

We pass through the small gate adorned in silver. I observe as she retrieves a key from her purse and unlocks the wooden door. Aika enters first, and I follow suit shortly thereafter.

Inside, the house appears even more spacious than its exterior suggested. The walls of the living room boast a rich, dark shade of green, with a sleek black couch positioned in the center. A small, transparent coffee table rests in front of it, while an impressive 42-inch TV is mounted on the wall. Adjacent to the living room, a compact yet inviting kitchen comes into view.

-Take a seat, Ikuto. Make yourself comfortable. - Aika gestures, inviting me to sit on the sofa.

Following her request, I settle onto the couch and immediately notice its exceptional comfort.

-Thank you for having me. By the way, what happened to the puppy we rescued? Did you decide to keep him? - I inquire.

-You still remember? That brings me some joy. Unfortunately, I had to find him a new home through adoption. It can be challenging to care for a pet when you work as a mage and has no hour to come back home. - Aika responds, a tinge of regret in her voice.

"I should have guessed," I remark.

-Would you like something to drink? Water, juice, or tea, perhaps? - she offers.

-A glass of water would be perfect. - I reply.

She nods subtly and heads towards the kitchen.

While I wait for her return, my gaze wanders around the room, eventually landing on a portrait displayed on a pristine white shelf. In the photograph, a young Aika is being embraced by a man in his thirties.

Apart from the difference in hair color, the resemblance between the two is striking, leading me to assume that he must be her father.

Lost in my observation of the picture, I feel the couch sink slightly beside me as a hand holding a chilled glass enters my field of vision.

-Here you go.

-Thank you very much.

I raise the glass to my lips and take a small sip.

-So, this man in the photo, is he your father?

-He is. We do bear a striking resemblance, don't we? - Aika responds.

-For real, I can see certain traits of him in you, particularly in the eyes. He seems like a remarkable man.

Aika's countenance falters, and a hint of melancholy clouds her expression as a faint smile appears on her lips.

-You're right. He was truly an extraordinary man and an incredible father," she replies, using the past tense, indicating that he is no longer alive. I realize I've unintentionally touched upon a sensitive topic. It's best to proceed with caution and remain silent to avoid causing any unintended pain to her.

I swiftly empty my glass with a single gulp and place it back on the table.

-Why did you bring me to your house? - I ask, shifting the conversation to a different subject.

This question seems to snap her out of her sad mood.

-You always go straight to the heart of the matter, don't you, Ikuto?

I respond with a dismissive shrug, emphasizing my inclination toward directness.

-I simply believe in staying focused and not getting too sidetracked.

-Your straightforwardness is a quality that I'm beginning to appreciate a great deal. - She compliments, causing my face to flush. It seems she doesn't realize that she herself is being quite direct, albeit in a different sense.

-Hey, don't you ever feel a sense of shame when saying things like that? - I ask, trying to hide my embarrassment.

-I'm sorry, but shame is not a word that exists in my dictionary. - Aika replies matter-of-factly.

Exasperated, I cover my face with both hands. My female companion lets out a final chuckle before regaining her serious expression.

-Let's dispense the small talk, Ikuto. I've brought you here for two reasons. First, so we can schedule a time to patrol the city, and second, to assist you in harnessing your divine energy.

-You expect me to use divine energy?

-I do? Unless you believe I would subject you to city patrols with your current level of strength?

-Well...

In truth, that's exactly what I anticipated she would demand from me.

-Listen, Ikuto, without mincing words, and pardon my bluntness, you would only be dead weight. I have no desire to constantly save you. This is the best option.

Ouch! It feels as if invisible knives and spears are piercing my heart.

These words are harsh and cutting, but they hold truth. Reluctantly, I begrudgingly accept this reality.

-I understand. What do you propose for me to do? Apart from yesterday, I have never utilized divine energy.

-Simple. I will provide you with instructions, and I expect you to follow them, alright?

-Understood.

-Good. First, close your eyes and take deep breaths in a rhythm that feels comfortable to you.

Reluctantly, I comply with her instructions.

-Now, I want you to visualize valves in your arms. Once you can imagine this, raise your right hand.

Valves? What kind of absurd instruction is this? I must admit, it's rather unconventional and sounds foolish... I want to express my displeasure, but she seems so serious... I better resign myself and follow her instructions.

I concentrate with all my might, and after a few minutes, I successfully mold a clear image in my mind while raising my hand.

-Now pretend that you are opening one of the valves at a slow pace, letting only a short burst of steam through.

I give no sign of response, but in my mental image, I do precisely that.

-The steam is being released, you can feel it, can't you?

I give a little nod.

-Imagine now that your arms are pipes through which the steam will flow, sending it to just one of your arms.

In my mind, I see the pipe inside my arm, the steam starts to enter this pipe. It feels a little odd, like my hand is tingling and beginning to go numb.

- Now imagine that you are gradually opening one of the valves, allowing only a brief burst of steam to escape.

I show no outward response, but in my mind's eye, I precisely carry out the action.

- The steam is being released. Can you sense it?

I give a slight nod.

- Visualize now that your arms are conduits through which the steam will flow, directing it to just one of them.

In my imagination, I envision the pipe within my arm, as the steam begins to enter it. It feels peculiar, as if my hand is tingling and slowly growing numb.

- Now, open your eyes gradually, maintaining focus without losing the image you've conjured.

Carefully, I open my eyes and witness a faint glow emanating from my hand. Its hue is whitish, outlining my clenched fist. Excitement surges within me as I break into a wide smile, but the light on my fist flickers and fades away, leaving me disappointed.

- No! Come on, glow again!

- Stay calm. It wasn't a negative outcome. In fact, I'm quite impressed that you were able to successfully accumulate your energy. Although it may be a modest amount, it's still a challenging feat. Achieving it on your first attempt is remarkable.

- I'm torn between feeling grateful and annoyed by your comment.

She disregards my words as if they were never spoken in the first place.

- Practice this daily for at least an hour. Once you become proficient, you won't rely on mental imagery anymore. Accumulating and utilizing your divine energy will become instinctive, as effortless as breathing.

- Really? That's fantastic! Though, I must admit, instructing me to imagine a valve is quite unique. I've seen masters in shows guiding their disciples to envision themselves as a stream or a rock, but this is the first time I've encountered the use of a valve as an example. It's peculiar, but it worked.

- Hush! I know I could have used other examples, but this method was taught to me by someone dear, and it served me well when I was a novice learning mana control. Show some gratitude.

Hmm, so someone significant in her life was the one who taught her. How intriguing.

Aika lets out a cough that, from my perspective, sounds painfully forced.

- Moving on, now that we've tested this, there's one more thing I want to check.

- And what would that be?

She wears a smug smile, rises from the couch, lightly taps her skirt to smooth out any wrinkles, and walks into the hallway.

I sit silently, gazing at her until she turns to me with a twirl and a raised eyebrow.

- Do you intend to remain seated there? You're supposed to follow me closely.

Needless to say, I immediately leave the couch and walk behind her. I attempt to divert my gaze anywhere but her well-defined posterior. It's fortunate that the teachers and school staff vetoed the initial design of the women's uniform, which was meant to be shorter and tightly fitted, accentuating the girls' bodies.

Such a model would be deemed inappropriate in other schools, but ours has that old pervert Saizou as principal. He was determined to create a uniform with an erotic aura. How that depraved old man managed to secure a job as an educator remains an enigma.

Even with the current skirts reaching knee length, the sight of Aika's smooth legs and firm derrière is still prominent! Not that I mind, but it makes it challenging to put my attention on anything else!

We continue moving forward. Ahead of us, a black door with silver vertical lines comes into view. Aika turns the knob and opens the door. A long staircase descends before us, and the darkness that engulfs it creates the impression that it stretches endlessly. Without uttering a word, Aika begins to go down the pitch black path, and I follow closely behind her.

No joke, it has been approximately five minutes since we commenced our descent, and unbelievably, there is still no indication of our nearing the end. I won't raise any complaints, though, as I am certain the mischievous side of this girl will reveal itself, and she will find a way to jest or mock me. Sometimes silence is the wisest course of action for a prudent man.

Finally, after another three long minutes of endless darkness, we reach what can only be the bottom of the staircase.

I am unsure of our location, but I hear a low sound, akin to an engine starting to gain momentum. Suddenly, bright lights illuminate the previously dark space.

Instinctively, I shield my eyes with my hand, only withdrawing it when I adjust to the newfound clarity.

My eyes widen at the sight before me.

-But what...?!

A vast space lies in front of me. It must span at least seventy square meters, with a flawlessly smooth floor reflecting the light emanating from several blinding lamps. In one corner, there is a pile of demolished punching bags, each bearing holes shaped like fists or feet—a clear indication of Aika's formidable fighting prowess.

-How do you like it? This is my personal training room.

-Room? You can't possibly call this a room! It's enormous! Is this Japan's national stadium, by any chance? How is this even possible?!

-Ufufufu, it's a woman's secret~♪♪♫, so I can't divulge that information!

-Is that so? But why have you brought us here, anyway? - A full-blown grin spreads across Aika's lips.

-You know, Ikuto-kun, I've heard that you learned how to fight from your parents and that you are an exceptional martial artist—one of the best, according to what I've gathered around school grounds.

Her voice is overly saccharine for my taste...

I have a terrible feeling about this.

-Y-Yes?

-So, little old me was thinking that this is a good opportunity to test your fighting skills.

The smile on her face sends shivers down my spine. It's not sweet or playful; it's a menacing smile, making me feel like a mouse cornered by a cat—a predator closing in on its prey.

- A-Aika-san, can't we talk this out?

Her smile widened even further (if that's humanly possible), and she assumed a fighting stance.

- No! Enough talk. You better be prepared because I'll come at you with everything I've got, Ikuto...!!!!

Screaming at the top of her lungs, Aika sprinted towards me at full speed, appearing in front of me in a blink of an eye. Before I could even take a step, she spun around and struck me with the palm of her right hand. The attack landed on my chest, momentarily depriving me of breath. The force of the blow was so intense that I was thrown backwards and landed on the hard ground, flat on my back.

As expected, she's really skilled. Until today, I never had trouble with my opponents, whether they were talented martial artists from the tournaments I participated in, delinquents similar to those I encountered the day I met Aika, or even street fighters. But this girl... she's on par with me in terms of technique!

Grimacing in pain, I glanced up to see Aika leaping into the air, her left leg raised high above her head. Before her kick could connect, I rolled backwards and ended up in a crouched position.

This girl... Has she forgotten that she's wearing a skirt?! I've already caught a few glimpses of her pink panties throughout our fight... I'm astounded that she hasn't realized this obvious detail yet. Setting that aside for now, this is neither the right place nor the right time to be preoccupied with such trivial matters.

I swiftly got back on my feet, remaining cautious of Aika's movements.

Once again, she lunged at me, aiming a side kick towards the right side of my head. I lowered my body and placed one hand on the ground, executing a spinning kick that she easily evaded.

Tensing the muscles in my legs, I jumped back to create a safe distance between us.

-I'm surprised. I didn't think you could match my level. - Aika praised me, her body language displaying nonchalance. I must admit that even though her praise seemed casual, it still delighted me.

-I can't say the same, because I already knew you were a formidable fighter. But who would have thought that your primary fighting style would be Bajiquan? It's rare to find someone who practices this martial art. Although, I did notice elements of other styles in your movements as well.

She chuckled amiably.

-You're quite observant, Ikuto. And you're right. Baji is my main martial art, but I have mastery in multiple styles.

-What a strange coincidence. - I remarked as Aika tilted her head in confusion.

- Coincidence?

- I've also been trained in multiple styles, so we're on the same page.

- Ah, so that's what you were referring to? It's good to know, because now you can't make excuses about my victory, like saying, "I only lost because I didn't learn as many combat styles as you did" or lame shit like that.

Man, I might have a crush on this girl, but her teasing side really frustrates me at times. Is this what people mean when they say you can't truly know someone until you've spent more time with them?

- I should be the one saying that. I just hope I don't make you cry too hard after kicking your ass.

Aika's smile disappears, and she narrows her eyes. I notice a prominent vein on her forehead.

- Hah! You enjoy teasing me, but get mad when I throw it right back at you? How immature.

This time, I'm the one who mocks. She remains silent, her purple locks partially obscuring her face and hiding her eyes from me. When she looks at me, I see a murderous intent in her blue eyes, promising me a great deal of pain. Heh, she's really angry now, but that's exactly what I wanted.

A fight, whether it's training or not, should always be fiercely contested.

I position my fists in front of me and widen my stance.

I can't afford to hold back. If I don't give it my all, I'll suffer a crushing defeat.

The silence is shattered by the sound of our footsteps as we sprint towards each other. Aika attempts to punch me in the face, but I intercept the attack and, seizing her arm, rotate my hips and throw her over my shoulder. Displaying incredible flexibility, she twists and stretches her body, launching a spinning kick that I fortunately manage to block with my left arm.

Our fighting spirits come forth as we separate briefly, only to close the distance again and resume our combat.

And that's how we spent the next hour, exchanging devastating blows, landing a few hits here and there, but with the majority of them being deflected or evaded by the other, all while wearing broad smiles on our faces.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 330 17
Mu, the world that exists parallel to our own. It is a world that harbors shadowy manifestations of people's feelings called Nullities. One day, Fra...
472 61 49
"The development of events beyond a person's control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power. That sounds correct, does it not? This is surel...
14K 492 35
#542(9/5/2018 in Fantasy) Every millennium one person on Earth is gifted with a power no one could imagine. These powers come from the world they liv...
782 46 38
War. Violence. Conflict. The struggles that take place in our modern world still live today. However, there's something different about this world: T...