Unexpected

By CelesteABrook

[best friend's brother/ rockstar] After a nasty breakup, romance writer Joanna Wilson travels to her best fri... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 24

16.5K 596 26
By CelesteABrook

GABRIEL

It was a struggle to leave Jo in her room and walk away. She said she was going to stay home and work on the manuscripts she was editing and her upcoming book, but I could tell she just wanted a break and some time for herself.

I was expecting Maria to give us a hard time when she discovered we were together, but knowing she thinks Jo is better off without me stings. Jo seemed to be affected by it too, so I'm definitely talking to her a bit more when I get back.

It seems like the Universe is telling me that Jo and I aren't meant to be, and I should accept it and walk away.

As I enter the kitchen, desperate for some coffee before I meet the guys, I hear Maria tapping away on her computer on the kitchen island. I figured she'd opt to work from a café, but I should know better. Of course, she'd want to talk.

Last night, I experienced one of the best nights of my life with Jo. Our hands moved in perfect harmony, exploring each other with a hunger that was almost palpable. We were cocooned in our own world, where there was nothing but the warmth of our embrace. I'd love to keep surfing that high.

But as I walk to the coffee machine, I can almost feel the heat of my sister's stare. She's ready to confront me.

"Gabe..." She heaves a disappointed sigh when I turn to her. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm not trying to hurt her-"

"Who is Nora?" She cuts me off, and I close my eyes for a second. "Her name sounds familiar."

Shaking my head, I feel my heartbeat increase. "She's no one."

"I heard you guys talking." She searches my eyes. "What kind of trouble did you get into?"

"You don't need to worry." I lean against the counter. "Shit happens from time to time but we always figure things out."

"You're hiding something."

"I'm fine, Maria," I say, and she pinches her lips together.

"If you tell me what the hell is going on, I can find a way to help you."

"I appreciate the offer." I push myself from where I'm standing and walk to the sink to wash my mug. "But I'm fine."

"Are you lying to Jo?" she presses, and I need to take a deep breath before turning to her.

"Jo and I are both adults, Maria. Stop meddling." I give her a pointed look before walking out.

"I'll not forgive if you end up breaking her heart because this is just a fling to you," she says, but I just keep walking, unable to face her.

*****

As soon as I start the car, I'm immediately in a funk. The results of my bad choices are coming to bite me in the ass. And this time, I have no one to blame but myself.

Pulling up to the place Martin rented, I rub my face. Here goes nothing.

Following  the sweet sound of music that I hear when I step inside the house, I find the guys huddled together in a makeshift studio.

Dave is playing the drums with passionate intensity, the sticks clashing against the drumheads with a sharp thump. With his eyes closed, Aaron strums his bass and the sharp notes reverberate in the room. My gaze sweeps the space, and I spot Josh stretched out on the sofa, his attention focused on the guys.

A feeling of nostalgia washes over me as I remember the day we all decided to start the band. We were so unexperience and and filled with youthful innocence. There was no way for us to predict the life we'd have or the things that would come our way.

We've been fortunate enough to travel around the world, meet many wonderful people, and perform in front of some amazing audiences. Much more than we've ever dreamed of.

It feels like forever since we were just those kids trying to get by while chasing our dreams.

Without disturbing them, I silently make my way to the kitchen in search of something to eat.

I come to an abrupt stop when I see the full security team that accompanies us on tour, standing together with Lena, Aaron, and Tom.

Fuck! This is getting completely out of hand.

"We agreed on no bodyguards." I cross my arms over my chest, my eyes darting to Justin, the head of our security team. He's a man of few words and someone I trust, but I don't want him trailing me around.

Lena walks to me, her eyes pleading. "Gabe..."

"Don't Gabe me." I hold her stare.

"TMZ is claiming all girls were minors." She shakes her head. "Have you checked social media? People are going crazy."

"Fuck!" I rub my face. "What are we going to do?"

"We just got you guys an interview with Steve Baldwin and Lauren Fisher," Lena says. "We think a respected journalist and a female TV host will be good for you guys' image."

"When are the interviews?" Josh enters the room, Aaron and Dave following suit.

"The one with Steve is next Thursday morning in Seattle," she says.

"Seattle?" I ask.

"We think you guys should head back home," Martin says. "It won't be long until the press gets wind of you guys being here."

"Hence the security," Lena adds.

"On that note..." Tom adds, looking at me. "Nora finally replied to my calls. She wants to talk to you before she signs anything."

"Fuck!" I look down.

"Talk to her, man," Aaron says. "She's been following you around for years. She wants the attention. I'm sure you can convenience her to sign the NDA if you two sit down and talk."

"Agreed," Daves says. "We need to start tackling things."

"We can't keep hiding forever, man." Aaron shrugs.

Feeling a little ambushed, I turn to Josh, who just nods. He thinks it's time we leave, too.

"Okay." I sigh. "When are we leaving?"

"We could get the jet ready later today..." Martin says. "We could do without having to face an airport."

Seeing the struggle in my eyes, Josh pushes from the wall he was leaning against. "You guys go today." He clears his throat. "Gabe and I will meet you there in a couple of days."

"The interview with Steve is..." Lena starts, but Josh cuts her off.

"We'll be there." He gives her a look where there's no room for negotiation.

"Okay." She sighs, clearly not happy.

******

Stepping out of the kitchen, I head outside to get some fresh air. The group is still debating about best social media strategies and press statement releases. 

But I need a moment.

Looking down at the ocean from the impressive terrace I got into, I feel the salty breeze on my skin, bringing me back to my time with Jo. Will she understand if I open up to her? Or will she kick me out?

"Fuck!" I kick the lounge chair in front of me.

"I guess that leaving it all behind doesn't sound so bad, huh?" I hear Josh, and I startle a little.

Snorting, I shake my head. "How do you think Jo will react if I tell her about Nora?"

Stopping by my side, he stuffs his hands in his pockets as he looks at the ocean ahead. "I don't know, man."

"I'm in love with her," I say the words out loud for the first time, and my heart squeezes in my chest.

"Have you told her that?" he asks.

"It's hard to tell her anything when the world thinks I'm better off without her." I look at him, and he chuckles.

"You should find a better line to justify the fact you're just a coward," he says, his words hitting me hard. He's right. I am fucking scared.

"You don't need to stay here with me." I bring my eyes back to the ocean. "You can go with the rest of the group."

"I could use a day or two before having to deal with everything."

"Right." A reluctant laugh leaves my lips. "Takes a coward to know another."

_____

A/N: Thanks so much for your support! 

Love you, guys! <3

XOXO

Celeste

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...
47.8K 921 46
Sunny skies, luxurious hotel rooms, and nice beaches. Welcome to Florida. College student Lily is in for the time of her life on summer vacation - bu...
5.1K 421 21
Savannah goes on holiday with her boyfriend, Theo, and her friends. She thinks she loves Theo more than anything and Theo gives her the world. They'r...
101K 2.1K 46
Nora Rodriguez, The first born daughter,the responsible child,who is forced to put her siblings before herself.The daughter who's dad left a long tim...