In The Shadow Of His Love (Re...

Av Miya_dono

Riliegh Peverell begins as a fifth-year Ravenclaw at Hogwarts with a hazy memory of her past and a new identi... Mer

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Hello, Hogwarts!
Chapter 2 - And so it begins
Chapter 3 - Frenemies
Chapter 4 - Hogsmeade adventure
Chapter 5 - A new friend
Chapter 6 - Rumours and Distractions
Chapter 7 - Enchanted parchment
Chapter 8 - Restricted Section
Chapter 9 - Undercroft
Chapter 10 - Study Date
Chapter 11 - Feelings
Chapter 12 - Boathouse
Chapter 13 - Forbidden Forest Date
Chapter 14 - Exciting news
Chapter 15 - A date to remember
Chapter 16 - Feldcroft
Chapter 17 - Scriptorium, part I
Chapter 18 - Scriptorium, part II
Chapter 20 - The hospital wing
Chapter 21 - The memory of the past
Chapter 22 - The Ball, part I
Chapter 23 - The Ball, part II
Chapter 24 - Awakening
Chapter 25 - Bonds beyond blood
Chapter 26 - The Relic
Chapter 27 - Trouble in paradise
Chapter 28 - Deek's help
Chapter 29 - Stubborn Hearts and Lovers' Quarrel
Chapter 30 - Double Trouble
Chapter 31 - I need you
Chapter 32 - Headmaster for an hour
Chapter 33 - Peverell and Gaunt
Chapter 34 - Valentine's day surprise
Chapter 35 - Unspeakable
Chapter 36 - Darkness descends
Chapter 37 - Up the mountain
Chapter 38 - When tempers collide
A quick update
Chapter 39 - Reminiscence and a Boggart
Chapter 40 - Sebastian's Madness
Chapter 41 - Decisions
Chapter 42 - Unravelling shadows
Chapter 43 - Snatched
Chapter 44 - Aftermath
Chapter 45 - Back to reality
Chapter 46 - An eventful class
Chapter 47 - Jealousy and Detention
Chapter 48 - Scars
Chapter 49 - Gaunt's visit
Chapter 50 - Godric's Hollow
Chapter 51 - Reunited
Chapter 52 - The Headmistress
Chapter 53 - Back in the Map Chamber
Chapter 54 - The trio is back
Chapter 55 - Sharp's suspicion
Chapter 56 - O.W.L.s
Chapter 57 - Azkaban
Chapter 58 - Helping Anne
Chapter 59 - The final decision
Chapter 60 - Goodbye, Hogwarts!
Epilogue
Sequel

Chapter 19 - An unexpected suitor

549 21 6
Av Miya_dono

When it hits Saturday morning, Riley keeps laying in bed. After yesterday, she does not feel like she wants to get out of bed. Memory safely stored in her trunk, Riley's only focus for today is Everett and their agreed flying trip. She needs it more than ever. To fly around, as fast as possible, leaving all the worries behind her. 

Skipping breakfast, Riley rolls out of bed around noon time. Slowly making her way to the Common Room, she spots Erin in one of the armchairs and joins her, yawning.

"Good afternoon, sleepyhead" Erin smiles at her as Riley plumps down onto the sofa. "Both Sebastian and Ominis were looking for you" She adds in a mischievous voice, wiggling her eyebrows.

"When?" Riley asks, trying not to sound too excited.

"After breakfast. What is happening?" Erin sits up and looks at Riley with a piercing gaze like she's about to read her mind. Not breaking the gaze Riley stares back.

"Not much. We just get along. Is it not okay to have friends from a different house?" Riley breaks eye contact and starts rummaging in her bag, pretending to look for a book. In fact, she is checking the enchanted parchment, but as Erin is still staring at her, she decides it may not be the best idea to attempt to have a quick peek.

"Are we still on for tonight?" She asks and Riley looks at her with a bit of surprise. Did she plan anything with Erin? She's supposed to be flying around with Everett.

"I've made plans with Everett already, am I forgetting something?" Confused, Riley looks around, trying to remember, but nothing comes to her mind.

"He didn't tell you? It's all four of us, me and Amit are joining. Thought you knew," Erin replies and Riley rests her back on the armchair. Erin and Amit are definitely not up for an evening broom fun that may be very frowned upon by faculty members if they see them. What did Everett tell them?

The moment Riley notices no one is paying any attention to her in the Common room, she quickly gets her books and parchments out, pretending to double-check that all the homework is done. She can see Sebastian tried to contact her, inviting her to the Undercroft as apparently he and Ominis are not on speaking terms at the moment, but as tempting as it is, Riley's already promised to go with Everett, and she is really looking forward to it.

When it starts to get dark, Everett finally appears, with a big grin on his face. 

"Let's go," He says to Riley who jumps out of the armchair and follows him to the Ravenclaw balcony. Erin and Amit are already there, with their telescopes and star charts. When Riley gives Everett a confused look, he just shakes his head and drops his voice. "Alibi" He whispers and winks at Riley, who finally understands. Erin and Amit are not going with them. They are there to provide an alibi if it goes wrong.

"Genius" Riley mouths towards Everett who takes two brooms from behind the corner.

"What is happening? What are the brooms for?" Riley can hear Amit's panicky voice and laughs, as Everett handles one of the brooms to her.

"See you later" Everett yells as he mounts the broom and flies off the Ravenclaw balcony, and Riley follows.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Erin's voice is echoing after them, and Riley is glad to hear laughter in it. Bursting into laughter herself she follows Everett. Ravenclaw balcony is the perfect place to gain some speed and go unnoticed. 

"Where did you get the brooms from?" Riley yells when she catches up to Everett, who grins at her and heads towards the Black Lake.

"Kogawa, but we need to be careful. I said we want to practise a bit near the Quidditch Pitch, so we may need to stop there later" He yells back and Riley laughs, following him. The last time she was flying over Black Lake it was with Sebastian, on top of Tessa the Thestral. It was a rather different feeling than this.

Screaming and laughing, they constantly try to outspeed each other, and Riley feels like her mind is finally crystal clear. No worries, no pain, no memories, no attempts to get anyone's attention, Riley closes her eyes and lets the wind hit her. Although it's cold outside and the wind is almost freezing, Riley does not care. Her new gloves are protecting her, and so is her coat.

When it starts to get very dark, Everett and Riley start heading towards the Quidditch Pitch, where they fly around for a bit and then dismount the brooms and return them to the rack near Kogawa's office.

"That was fun, thank you Everett," Riley says excitedly, and still laughing starts heading towards the castle.

"Any time. And I mean it. There is no better feeling than..." But he does not have a chance to finish his sentence, as they run into a bunch of Gryffindors squabbling next to the Summoners Court.

"Oh no, the clash of egos over a game," Riley says when she hears them as well and looks at Everett. They both start to laugh again and head towards the group. 

"Look who's here" she hears someone say and looks around, a bit confused. The voice is familiar, but she cannot recognise it straight away. Too many people. And not all of them Gryffindor.

"I sense trouble," Everett says and Riley grabs her wand inside of her pocket. But there's no need for that.

"Riley, time to put the end to the rumours," She can hear the same voice and finally connects it with a face. Leander Prewett is walking towards her, and the place goes silent, with a few sniggers and giggles echoing occasionally. 

"What rumours?" Riley asks with a hint of amusement.

"Are you, or are you not going to the Ball with Ominis Gaunt?" Leander asks with confidence, staring at Riley, who just shakes her head.

"No, I'm not" Trying her best not to laugh, she hears murmurs around her.

"That settles it then" Leander smiles and walks closer to her to the point when Riley takes a step back. She does not like anyone being this close to her unless it's her close friends.

"Stop embarrassing yourself, Prewett" This voice Riley recognises straight away. It's Imelda. 

"Riley, I think we would be great together. I knew it the moment we spoke at the first Herbology class," He starts and Riley's jaw drops and her eyes widen. What is happening? What herbology? The only thing she remembers from that class is the sweet look Sebastian gave her. 

"Wha-?" That is all Riley is able to say, as she stares at Leander in disbelief.

"When I showed you around, I knew there is something between us. I wanted us to be duelling partners, but Brattleby paired you with Sallow," He says, bitterly and steps closer. Riley takes another step back. 

"Um-" Riley tries to talk again, but unsuccessfully.

"Let's go to the Ball together. Power couple. What do you say? I can take you to Hogsmeade before, have a drink or two, you never know" He grins and Riley feels like she wants to puke. There are a lot of voices around, and most of them are giggling.

"I am going with someone" Finally, she is able to speak and takes another step back, hearing a lot of laughter around.

"No, you're not," He says condescendingly and Riley takes a deep breath, trying her best not to curse him right here, right now. There is a wave of anger spreading over her body. No one talks to her like that.

"You're a joke, Leander" Garreth Weasley says as he is holding his stomach, laughing so hard he can barely breathe. When Riley looks around, quite a few people are laughing as well, pointing at Leander and her. She looks at Everett who looks as confused as she feels by this whole situation.

"Even if she's not, she would be better off on her own than with you" Imelda shakes her head as she's looking at the commotion in front of her.

"I may not be the best out there, but I really like you. And you should give me a chance," Leander's voice is now significantly quieter. "What do you say?" He smiles nervously, and before Riley has a chance to figure out another way how to say no, she hears a voice that makes her almost jump and she can feel goosebumps.

"Beat it, Prewett" The voice is unusually cold. Riley's never heard anyone sound so patronizing.

"Go away Sallow, you're not part of this" Leander's voice is almost haughty, but Sebastian sniggers scornfully.

"It baffles me how someone can be compromising their own dignity like this. Don't you have enough humiliation during the classes?" Sebastian sneers and Leander's eyes narrow.

"Strong words from someone whose strongest move to get noticed is to stare at her like a hurt mooncalf" Leander snaps back and there are a lot of "oohs" around. Everyone is staring at them, even the people walking past stop and join the party.

It all happens very quickly. Riley can see they both raise their wands and as she puts all her effort into stopping them, she does the most stupid thing and moves to stand between them. Everything else is a blur and Riley can feel a lot of pain coming from both sides, panicked yells, there is no longer ground under her feet and it feels like she is flying into nothingness. Then the world goes blank as she falls to the floor, unconscious.    

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

1.5K 73 16
"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the ...
14.2K 641 21
A comprehensive guide on how to turn the good guys bad. Canon divergent, slow burn, mutual pining, idiots in love. xxx Aurélie Collins wishes she wer...
708 104 14
((Sequel to In The Shadow Of His Love)) Riley Peverell had an eventful year when she joined Hogwarts as a fifth-year. But it's nothing compared to wh...
413K 11.3K 65
''You seriously need to stop calling me your friend,'' Sebastian tells me in a low voice. ''Then what should I call you?'' I ask curiously. My stomac...