Chapter 53 - Back in the Map Chamber

The Room of Requirement looks and feels a bit different when Riley ends up there after the little unexpected gathering in Black's office. The colours of the walls seem to be more calming, and everything around feels like it is surrounded by a peaceful aura. Deep in thought, Riley is sitting, curled up in a little ball, in an armchair. 

To stay here, or to return to Durmstrang. 

Here she's got a few friends, there's Ominis, also Sebastian. But every thought of Sebastian feels like someone is slamming a digger into Riley's chest. On the other hand, Durmstrang was her home for four years. Or was it? It was the home of who she thought she was, Florence. Not Riley. How would it feel to return there? According to Headmistress, everyone knows the truth now and a few of her friends from Durstrang are planning to visit Hogsmeade after exams to visit her. 

Here, she's got Professor Hecat who can help her get into the Department of Mysteries, as she is an ex-Unspeakable. There is also Professor Sharp who's sneakily trying to persuade Riley to join Aurors, and who is not treating her like a little kid, more like an apprentice. But then, there is Durmstrang. There is magic being taught that could help her a lot. Magic that is more than frowned upon here, at Hogwarts. And from those four years, none of her studies of actual Dark Magic were nearly as dangerous and adventurous as those few times with Sebastian. Maybe he should go to Durmstrang instead. To study it in a safer environment. He could easily withstand the curses inflicted upon him by others to understand the pain and dangers, but also the appeal of Dark Magic.

Leaving it all in the past, everything she and Sebastian went through, is an easy way out of her heartache. She wouldn't need to see him all the time, and there would be no Cecelia. Every time she thinks of those two, she wants to cry. And as much as she is trying to remind herself it was just a silly kiss, was it really? What would happen if she did not send Wemby, the elf?

Not wanting to think about it any more, Riley stands up and grabs her bag. She needs to go somewhere that does not remind her of him. Somewhere where she can think. Somewhere where she can maybe get a second opinion. And then it hits her. Niamh Fitzgerald's portrait in Black's office looked directly at her when she was leaving. Riley's got a feeling Niamh wants to talk, and maybe that is the piece that will bring together all this chaos. 

Heading towards the Map Chamber, Riley's heart keeps beating faster and faster, and her breath starts to be more shallow. The last time she was heading here was with Professor Fig. Right after Rookwood snatched her and she defeated him. They were heading there to end it all, once and for all. And they did. Ranrok is dead, the reservoir is restored and safe. And she is the Fifth Keeper. Maybe leaving this place is not a good idea. 

When she enters the Map Chamber, all four portraits are there. Just like the last time. The only difference is, Riley is now alone, without her mentor. But also without any imminent danger or catastrophe about to happen.

"I hoped to see you here soon," Niamh Fitzgerald says and other portraits turn their attention to Riley, who is walking towards them. 

Looking at the beautiful map of the area, Riley remembers the first time she ended up here. The plain old chamber with nothing. And then, when she brought the book, everything changed. 

"We were all very worried when we saw you being carried out of there and heard Professor Fig is dead," Percival Rackham says and Riley just nods, reaching the portraits and sitting down, looking up to face them. 

"I'm alright. Ranrok's dead. The repository is safe," Riley says with a small smile, and there is a warmth spreading inside her when she sees the faces of the Keepers and how they applaud her and the nice words they keep saying. They even discuss Professor Fig and agree that Riley should not be mourning, she should be celebrating everything they did together and that he is now with his beloved wife. Even San Bakar, who seemed to think Riley was just some random child that cannot be trusted and doesn't know what she was doing, is saying some nice words towards her. It feels good to be acknowledged and praised, rather than abandoned and cheated on.