The Panther's IronHeart (Shur...

By Sapphire4340

One year after the events of Black Panther Wakanda Forever Riri leaves Wakanda to continue her studies back a... More

Prologue
One Year Later
Internal Affairs
Don't Freeze
Lab Partners
The Dinner
The Unexpected
The Only Way
Inner Thoughts
Am I an Avenger?
Stay With Me
Aftermath

You Can't Be Trusted

1K 20 28
By Sapphire4340

Shuri's steady hands moved diligently as she concentrated on the tedious task in front of her. Removing the mainframe from Riri's earrings was proving to be more challenging since the parts were so small, her movement was methodical and slow removing all the parts of the earrings.

The lab was silent for the past couple of hours due to Shuri demanding that no one speak until she disabled the audio piece completely.

As Shuri's progress continued her agitation rose with each piece she took out. Her thoughts were beginning to slowly consume her, breaking her down. How could she have fucked up this tremendously in not calculating if the earrings had been tampered with? She was so focused on rescuing Riri that the thought never even crossed her mind.

Was this what the elders saw in her?

A child destined to diminish the legacy of the people that ruled before her? Just a girl who wasn't fit to protect Wakanda wasn't fit to wear the suit. It wasn't like she believed in the mantle of the Black Panther anyway.

Would her brother have risked Wakanda's safety for one person?

She couldn't answer that.

Shuri eventually removed the audio chip inside both of the earrings and placed them on the white work table.

Unexpectedly soft tears began to fall as she looked that her technology, the very technology that could possibly put her entire country at risk with any information that could have been leaked

Suddenly Shuri felt a warm breeze around her as if a hand was on her shoulder, the slight smell of magnolias wrapped around Shuri like a blanket.

Mom. Shuri thought as the feeling slowly drifted away leaving her feeling cold and lonely.

Shuri smiled through her tears remembering what her mother sacrificed in protecting Riri, her mother believed that Riri was destined for more and she was willing to protect it. Her mother knew that keeping Riri alive meant endangering Wakanda but she knew that bowing down to the demands of others would lead to their downfall regardless.

Shuri was in awe of her mother and her sacrifice, her death still hurt but there were always glimpses of her presence when she felt the most alone in her thoughts.

Shiri softly wiped her tears and continued completely shutting down the earrings. She was careful in keeping Riri's original Stark design intact so all she would need to do is transfer the data into a new pair without any hassle. She turned off a couple more pieces of the earrings and they were completely disabled.

She exhaled deeply, stretching the joints in her back and fingers.

"Griot, I need you to run a scan of any files that were misrouted to any foreign servers that are not linked to Wakanda," Shuri called out as she threw the audio chip into Griot's holographic detector. The hologram immediately turned white as a graph with data and a world map in blue started analyzing the tampered technology.

"Right away Panther," Griot answered back "The data should be ready in a couple of hours Princess you should get some rest since you have been working for several hours," the AI added in

"I appreciate the concern but I think..." Shuri was cut off as the lab doors opened and Riri's features came into view.

"I think that Mr. Griot is right, you should take a break," Riri responded as she gave her a sad smile looking over the dismantled technology on the table.

Shuri's stomach started to flutter quickly as she pushed the feeling down. She turned her back to Riri as she picked up the Stark AI chip that Riri designed. Shuri smiled at the chip looking at the only non-vibranium piece of technology that was able to seamlessly work alongside the original design without any delay.

She really is brilliant. Shuri thought to herself as she turned around towards Riri and handed the Stark chip back to the younger engineer.

"You were able to salvage my design?" Riri asked astonished

"Yeah, It took me a couple of extra hours but I was able to get it with no damage," Shuri proudly stated as her eyes reflected how tired she was due to the lack of sleep.

"Shuri... I don't know what to say," Riri looked down at the chip as she gripped it softly as if protecting it from something.

"You're welcome Riri," Shuri softly said as she looked into her eyes.

Riri met Shuri's gaze and just like that the moment froze again no words needed to be said as the two women gazed into each other.

"Princess Shuri, can I have a word," Shuri's lab assistant Tiku called out unknowingly interrupting the two women.

Shuri gave him a soft look and smiled slightly "Sure, Tiku what's going on," as she gave her full attention to the man.

Shuri's eyes would shift to Riri every so often as she watched the slight blush on her face. Shuri didn't realize that she was staring until Tiku asked her a question "Princess are you alright?"

"What? Yes, I'm fine sorry Tiku what were you saying?"

"The University wanted me to remind you that today the new Outreach recruits arrived for their month-long visit to Wakanda,"

"Shit that's not today that's happening on Thursday are they arriving early?" Shuri's confusion was etched on her face

"Princess today is Thursday," Tiku replied softly his voice filled with concern

Shuri took a moment to process the information. So she was in the lab the entire night and she hadn't realized it.

"Right sorry Tiku the days are just passing me I guess," Shuri answered back apologetically

"Princess I think it may do you some good to rest we will watch the data and inform you if anything comes up the annual speech that you need to give isn't until around six this afternoon, so you have plenty of time to rest,"

Shuri smiled softly as she nodded her head replying "Thanks Tiku,"

"You're welcome Princess,"

~ ~

Riri was worried about Shuri she hasn't slept since she stormed away into her lab yesterday morning

Looking around at the lab assistants diligently working was exciting to see again but Riri was only focused on the older scientist in front of her. Shuri caught her multiple stares giving her a small smile as she continued her conversation with the assistant.

After the conversation, Shuri walked over to Riri silently.

"Is something wrong?" Riri asked

"No, I just need to prepare for a welcome ceremony for the new round of outreach students," Shuri beamed

Riri was astonished as she looked at Shuri, not in admiration but in bewilderment. Shuri was about two seconds away from collapsing to the floor with exhaustion, the bags underneath Shuri's eyes looked like they weighed a ton and she hadn't looked like she ate due to her stomach growling.

"Shuri you need to rest, the speech can wait," Riri said assertively as she grabbed her wrist pulling her out of the lab. "And if you're not going to rest at least eat something you've been in that lab way too long,"

Riri's eyes met Shuri's again trying to read the older scientist but failing again

"So what would you suggest I do then?"

Riri chucked at Shuri's sarcastic tone

"Fresh air,"

At her response Shuri's smile dropped in disappointment "That's your genius plan?"

"Yeah, fresh Wakandan air and you can escort my mom and me around to get clothes and you can finally eat something,"

Shuri contemplated the plan then she responded "Alright, I will be your escort for the day,"

Riri's cheeks flushed at Shuri accepting her invitation to hang out for the entire day.

"Great, we can wait for my mom to get ready, you will be in my room with me," Riri lightly intertwined their fingers together as she pulled Shuri out of the lab and towards her bedroom.

Realizing what was happening Shuri had a panicked look on her face "And can I ask why I am going into your bedroom?"

"So that you can take a nap Shuri it takes mom a bit to get ready so that should be plenty of time for you to relax for an hour at least,"

Riri should feel Shuri stiffen at the mention of sleep

"Riri I'm fine I can just wait for you two outside the palace while..."

"Shuri that wasn't a suggestion you're going to sleep in my bedroom until my mom is ready to go,"

The young engineer didn't want to be so demanding towards the princess but she couldn't stand watching Shuri deteriorate. No sleep, no food. Black Panther or not Riri cared for Shuri and wouldn't allow her to keep neglecting her physical and mental health.

The two women finally made it to Riri's room and at this point, Shuri was planting her feet at the doorway. Riri couldn't pull her anymore due to her superhuman strength. Shuri's face was filled with uncertainty as Riri gave her a pointed look of disapproval.

"Shuri you let me drag you all the way here and now you want to use your strength to your advantage, nah girl you trippin' you're coming in right now,"

"Riri I don't think..."

"No Shuri you're not going to overthink your way out of this I am just asking you to come in so I can monitor you so you can sleep you haven't slept in two days Shuri. What are you afraid of? You think I'm going to do something crazy to you while you sleep?"

Shuri then allowed Riri to pull her into her room and Riri shut the door softly as she guided Shuri toward her bed. As Shuri lay down her eyes filled with exhaustion but her face was still terrified.

Riri sat on the bed next to Shuri and her heart shattered. She looked so broken laying there.

"Talk to me Shuri, why are you scared to go to sleep?"

Shuri's eyes met Riri, the engineer could tell her thoughts were all scrambled trying to come up with the right words to say.

"The memories... Every time I sleep they come back and haunt me every time my mom and Namor... I can't escape them,"

Riri listened to every word, understanding where Shuri's pain came from. She knew the months of sleep that she lost after the guilt of Queen Ramonda's death, Riri believed it was her fault and she drove herself almost to the brink of madness but she forced herself every day to get up and do something small for herself so that she could have some normalcy back into her life. After Riri finally forgave herself for the events that took place the year prior she was finally able to sleep.

"I'm going to stay with you while you sleep, you don't have to be afraid I'll be here with you even if you have any nightmares you won't be alone when you wake up,"

"Riri I couldn't ask you to do that,"

"You don't have to ask me Shuri I'll be right here,"

The princess awkwardly pulled the blanket over here as she faced the opposite direction of Riri her body was extremely stiff.

"Why so serious Black Panther?"

"Just never had someone watch me while I sleep is all?"

"Because you can't be trusted to sleep on your own Shuri,"

Riri watched as Shuri's shoulders relaxed and how her breathing started to become even. Riri slowly walked to the window adjacent to Shuri. Riri was able to sit on the ledge and watch as Shuri focused on trying to sleep. Her brows furrowed and her body tense.

Riri suddenly had an idea come into her head

"I'm going to tell you a story about a ten-year-old girl and her garage..." Riri spoke lightly

"What are you doing?" Shuri asked amused

"Telling you a bedtime story,"

Riri saw Shuri smile softly and giggle

"Le ntombazana ayinyani (This girl is unreal)"

"Hey I know you're talking shit Shuri but it's okay because we are both going to have a great time listening to my amazing story that I just came up with maybe a minute ago,"

"Great, don't let me stop you,"

"Thank you as I was saying. The ten-year-old girl and her garage, the girl was an outcast on an abandoned planet who was surrounded by big scary monsters every day. The only other people were herself and her father. He was an inventor you see and made the home that they lived in to keep his daughter safe as well as all the weapons so they can defend themselves. The father made sure to teach his daughter everything he knew so he built a garage next to their home and every day they built new inventions together. The girl loved her father so much that he would teach her a new technique to build something better every day. The girl's only flaw was how focused she would be on her work that everything else would drift away her father would always say 'It's alright to look up every now and again' but the girl would absently listen to him. One day after a long day of inventing the girl looked up and noticed that her father hadn't been in the garage all day. He never came back from his errands nor did he come home for dinner. After days the girl realized that her day was gone and she needed to find him. So the girl packed a bag and every day she set out to find him and she would come back unsuccessful. And every night she would go into the garage and build an invention to help her find her father better. But it was, all the same, she would come home empty-handed. The girl never gave up though rumor is that she is still searching to this day..."

Riri's words stopped as she turned her head and saw that Shuri had fallen asleep. Riri sighed in relief that she didn't realize the tears that wet her cheeks as she told her story.

As Riri quickly wiped her cheeks she quietly walked across the hall to her mother's room and told her about the plan. At least Shuri will get at least a couple of hours of sleep. Riri took her place back on the ledge next to Shuri as she watched the Princess sleep.

Everything that you do to take care of everyone. Who gets to take care of you? Riri thought to herself

Riri's heart started to beat loudly in her chest as she continued to watch Shuri peacefully sleep. Riri was beginning to feel her emotions swell to the surface again.

"Stop Riri, she's your friend. Don't fuck up another friendship because of your emotions," Riri scolded herself softly

Riri knew that Shuri needed a support system, not more drama in her life. And if Riri was sure of one thing, relationships brought out drama at every turn and she wasn't going to lose Shuri to something as stupid as her feelings. Riri would continue to push her feelings for the scientist aside. Shuri's friendship was worth so much to Riri, she refused to mess it up.

Her job was to watch over her friend and that is what she was going to do.

~ ~

Shuri slowly rose from her nap, she felt extremely groggy and lightheaded all at once.

What she did realize was that she slept soundly. No nightmares. Her eyes glanced around the room until she was met with Riri reading a Wakandan gossip magazine.

"You know I didn't realize how obsessed the Wakandan people were about your love life? You definitely move in secret, Shuri," Riri giggled as she continued to read the magazine.

"What time is it?" Shuri ignored the teasing from Riri

"Time for us to go and get you something to eat you're probably starting to get a hunger headache,"

Riri was right Shuri was extremely sensitive to the light that was coming from the room along with the growling from her stomach she definitely needed food.

"Come on grumpy let's go outside so you can get some fresh air,"

"I'm really sorry Riri, I don't mean to be a burden..."

"Nope, don't speak horribly about my friend let's go Shuri,"

Shuri smiled a bit as she followed Riri out of her room, she couldn't even suggest changing into different clothes due to Riri and her mother Ronnie practically pushing her out the door.

Ayo and Aneka were following with a few other Dora protecting the trio as they made their way into the city.

Shuri hadn't been into the inner city of Wakanda since the attack from the Talokans. The city was restored last year and has been thriving ever since. The tall futuristic building that shot up towards the sky along with the vibranium railway system that Shuri invented zoomed past them overhead. Wakandan music was being played all around while people were engrossed in their own conversations. Bright patterns of all shades were displayed on multiple people either wearing the latest Wakandan fashion or wearing their traditional tribal garb. Shuri smiled as she watched her people getting lost in her own thoughts. She forgot that she was supposed to be escorting Riri and her mother.

"Wow honey look at these beautiful clothes," Ronnie said in amazement as she stopped at a vendor who smiled at Riri and Ronnie as they complimented almost every clothing item.

"Did you want to get it, mom? You would snatch up everyone with this look." Riri examined a gold and green two-piece with a cropped lightweight shirt with long sleeves and a form-fitting pants

"You think so, I don't know sweetie I'm not used to showing my stomach,"

Shuri watched as the two women went back and forth about whether Ronnie should get the outfit that they didn't see Shuri come up to the vendor and ask "Kagakanani (How much?)"

The vendor's eyes went wide as he saw her and said proudly "Amashumi amabini (Twenty)"

Shuri smiled and handed the vendor twenty Wakandan dollars "Enkosi Panther (Thank you, Panther)"

Ronnie and Riri were still arguing as Shuri softly took the outfit from Ronnie's hands and put it in a bag that the vendor provided "Come on you two I'm hungry and that beef over there looks really good," Shuri said nonchalantly not waiting for either of them to respond

"Hold on we haven't even paid for the outfit yet I'm so sorry sir we aren't stealing..."

"Riri calm down, who said that it wasn't paid for? I've got whatever either of you wants. I'm paying for it so don't pick up anything you don't like because more than likely it will be paid for before you can argue with me."

Shuri gestured for Riri and Ronnie to walk next to her as she chuckled at both of their shocked expressions

" Shuri, that's really sweet of you but you don't need to..."

"Ronnie I think I remember yesterday I did tell you that I was going to be taking you and Riri to see Wakanda but I was stuck in my lab that I couldn't fulfill my promise so this is my way of apologizing,"

Shuri could see from the corner of her eye that Riri was not looking at her or would walk further away from her at times but she still caught Riri's blushed cheeks.

"Thank you, Shuri that means so much to me really,"

"You're welcome Ronnie, but before we continue shopping for you ladies I really need to eat something," Shuri's stomach growled loudly 

"Unacceptable Shuri, I won't have you starving yourself let's get some food in you right now," Ronnie exclaimed as she dragged her to the nearest food vendor

Shuri ordered one slow-roasted beef plate and stuffed her face as soon as she sat at a nearby table. Giggles from passing Wakandan civilians could be heard as they watched Shuri inhale the food quickly.

Shuri finally lifted her head to address the two women sitting across from her as Ronnie just smiled at her and Riri gave her a look that felt like it was piercing her soul "I'm so sorry for being so rude I was so hungry,"

"I told you, and I bet that hunger headache is gone too," Riri smiled brightly as she teased Shuri "See you can't be trusted to take care of yourself,"

"Shut up," Shuri smiled back at the younger girl as they both laughed at the inside joke between them

"But are you feeling better sweetheart, you need to make sure you are at least eating?"

"I'm alright Ronnie I appreciate the concern,"

"It's just the nurse in me I guess,"

Shuri noticed how Ronnie's eyes started to wander around trying to distract herself

"Ronnie I wanted to ask how are you feeling?"

Ronnie's eyes met Shuri and she gave her a fake smile like her daughter had a tendency to do as well when she lied.

"Good, seeing Riri is safe makes everything better"

"Ronnie but how are you doing? I know the attack at the hospital really..."

"Shuri, I really don't want to talk about that right now, but I am fine I appreciate you checking in with me," Ronnie said abruptly as the tears started to slowly appear in her eyes.

Shuri took that queue to stop speaking not wanting to insult Ronnie further

Riri gave her a sympathetic look as she started to stand up holding her mother's hand tightly in support.

The three women walked around Wakanda for a couple more hours and Shuri was good on her statement that she would buy anything that the women really liked. As evening approached Shuri looked at her watch and saw it was five-thirty. Her speech for the University was in two hours.

Shuri tapped on her kimoyo earrings lightly and Griot's automated voice softly said: "Good evening Panther how can I assist?"

"Griot, how are the calculations coming for the encrypted file?"

Upon hearing those words Shuri saw Riri turn around and start to walk closer to her

'The calculations are still processing Panther I'm sorry for the delay everything should be wrapped up before the end of the day,'

Shuri was starting to get anxious about what could take so long for Griot to run a simple geological scan.

"Thank you, Griot, also before you go can you have the airship send over an outfit for me to wear for tonight's speech I am too far from the palace to change,"

'Absolutely Princess, I will send a request. Would you like business casual?'

"No, my casual is fine,"

'Right away Princess your outfit should arrive at the University in thirty minutes,'

"Thanks, Griot,"

Shuri lightly tapped on her earrings again turning to Riri who was really close to her at the moment.

"Trying to listen in nosey," Shuri teased

"Hell yeah did Griot have any news?"

Shuri shook her head and Riri's face fell in disappointment.

"Also, I am going to have to leave here soon for my speech at the University. I can have Ayo and Aneka walk you and Ronnie back to the palace and we can meet up later if you want?" Shuri said to Riri

Riri looked at Shuri mischievously. "I see how it is Shuri, you don't want me to listen to your speech?"

Shuri's eyes widened "I mean you're more than welcome to come and observe if you want I just didn't know if you were going to be tired,"

"So you thought that I would miss out on my friend giving a grand speech for a bunch of science engineers and inventors at one of the most highly acclaimed universities in the world for scientific research and you think I would miss out on that,"

"I guess it sounds really stupid when you say it aloud," Shuri giggled

"I'll let my mom know that she can take the vibranium shuttle back to the palace and we can start making our way to the University,"

Shuri nodded in agreement as she watched Riri inform Ronnie of the plan for the rest of the night. As she watched them talk Shuri couldn't help but notice that Riri kept stressing the word friend the entire day.

For some reason, the word was making her feel uneasy not because she didn't want Riri as a friend it just felt like she was covering for something else.

While Shuri was lost in thought Riri walked back to her, smiled, and grabbed her hand as they made their way to the University.

Shuri pushed the idea back as she continued to ignore the way her heart would skip anytime Riri would touch her, Shuri sighed she just needed to get through the speech and get back to her lab.

~ ~

Hey Lovlies,

I am back from my hibernation I am so sorry I have been gone for so long leaving ya'll hanging like that! Lots of personal and work struggles that kept me from updating and I was having major writer's block!

But I am back now and plan to give you more scheduled updates!

I am currently working on the next chapter and I am hoping to have it out in the next couple of days I am writing like crazy to make up for the time that you all had to wait!

I am really excited to hear your thoughts on the new update and again I am so sorry that you waited this long for me but I appreciate every comment and vote. I am so overwhelmed by the amount of love that you continue to show each chapter since this is my first time writing fanfiction!

I will see you in a couple of days when I upload the next chapter! I love and appreciate you all so so much and I can't wait to see your thoughts 💕🙋🏽‍♀️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.3K 1.7K 28
"They said the sunsets in Wakanda were the most beautiful thing in the world, but as I sat there watching the sunset right in front of me, I just cou...
5.2K 37 29
So this is gonna have smut if you don't like smut then leave 💕
636 18 6
𝐀 𝐛𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝟐 (𝐋𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐚 𝐖𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧) 𝘼 𝙥𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙚𝙧𝙩𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙤𝙢𝙖𝙣 ⚢ Enjoy for the s...
2.8K 80 15
I LOVE CHEESY ROMANCE AND DRAMA!! ♡ Harper Sullivan was completely lost after walking in on her fiance and sister sleeping together. Not only did tha...