Kingdom Come

Von Anburwell

Jaehaera, the oldest child of Uhtred Ragnarsson and lady Gislea never cared for men. In fact the only one she... Mehr

0. Kingdom Come
I. The Dane Slayer's Daughter
II. Bastard Son
III. Slavers
IV. The Return
V. Black Hole Sun
VI. Dead Men Tells No Tales
VII. From Eden
VIII. Bad Moon Rising
IX. Amor Prohibido
X. Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene
XI. Hold On Til May
XII. Flying or Crying
XIII. Can You Feel My Heart
XIV. Welcome To The Jungle
XV. Haunted
XVI. Death By A Thousand Cuts
XVII. The Story Of Us
XVIII. Something in the Orange
XIX. Angels on the Moon
XX. She
Author Note xoxo
XXI. 'Till I Collapse
XXII. Medicine Man
XXIII. Make It Out Alive
XXV. Safe & Sound
XXVI. Come Together
author's note
author's note pt2

XXIV. Smells Like Teen Spirit

1K 25 11
Von Anburwell

I'm worse at what I do best

And for this gift, I feel blessed

Our little group has always been

And always will until the end

Jaehaera steadied Sihtric's horse while he used the horse as leverage to climb over the wall at Saltwic. He dropped down over the wall and once inside he opened the gate for the rest of them. Once inside they all walked to the hall and young Uhtred knocked on the door. "Stiorra!" her father called. "Open the doors!"

"Perhaps she is sleeping," Aethelflaed suggested when the doors didn't open.

"Stiorra, wake up," Uhtred instructed his youngest daughter. "It is your father."

"Stay back and name yourselves," Stiorra's soft, but brave voice answered from inside the hall. Jaehaera smiled at her sister's sense to not just open the door just because she thinks she might know the people behind it. "My father calls himself Uhtred of Bebbanburg. Who are you?"

Jaehaera and the other's smirked at Uhtred's reaction to his daughter's antics. You're the one who most likely taught her to be like this, why are you shocked? Jaehaera thought to herself.

"Stiorra, it is us," young Uhtred told his sister. "It really is." The door opened at her brother's voice, but only just a crack. A crack wide enough for her to see out of but nothing more than that. "Father has defeated the danes. We brought you, someone, you would like to see." The door began to open once more with caution, and Stiorra's apprehensive face turned to one of pure joy when she saw her sister.

"Jaehaera!" she exclaimed.

"Hello love," She answered her younger sister while walking quickly to her and wrapping her up in her arms. "We've come to take you home."

"You're lucky I didn't stab you and father through the door," Stiorra taunted. She had to be no more than fourteen now. The last time she had seen the girl had been when her father brought her here many years ago. Jaehaera and her father chuckled as they embraced as well after Jaehaera had let go of her baby sister. Together they all walked into the hall. Chairs were stacked everywhere like Stiorra had put them there to stop an attack if it were to come. Jaehaera smiled.

"The battle was never close," Uhtred told his youngest, "we would not have left you in danger," he explained as they walked.

"There have been rumors of retreating fighters," Stiorra explained to their father. He started to move the chairs back to their rightful place with the help of Jaehaera and the others. "We made a plan if we were attacked."

"Where is my daughter?" Aethelflaed asked.

"Aelfwynn!" Stiorra shouted, making Jaehaera jump slightly as she did not expect it. Sihtric and Rickon chuckled at her and she hit both of them on their shoulders. "Aelfwynn, your mother is here!" Jaehaera and the others then began to hear birds chirping in the distance. It sounded like the bird's song was coming from upstairs.

"Mother!" a young girl exclaimed as another door in the hall opened to the Great Hall with the tables. She was short and had long blonde hair. The girl couldn't be more than ten. "I've missed you." the mother and daughter pair hugged one another.

"Oh, I've missed you too!" Aethelflaed answered.

"Aethelstan! You can come out now!" Stiorra called to the boy somewhere in the hall. "Cnut has been sent to hell!" Jaehaeara looked at her sister with surprise at her bluntness, but then laughed. The three of them truly had no subtly whatsoever, huh, Jaehaera thought to herself. Truly, we are our father's children. A young boy about Aelfwynn's age came running into the hall as well and stopped by the wall. He stood cautiously away from everyone.

"Who's the boy?" Uhtred asked no one in particular.

"I am no one," the boy answered flatly. Jaehaera turned her head to look at him. His face looked similar to Edward, but she couldn't be positive.

Aethelflaed stood, and looked at Uhtred, "I will explain later," she told him. The group followed Aethelflaed into the main part of the hall.

"Father, when do we ride home to Coccham?" Stiorra asked as she followed closely behind their father. Young Uhtred followed Jaehaera closely. "Tonight?" Jaehaera smiled at her sister's eagerness.

"No," her father answered, "but soon, once the peace is secure."

"Please!" Stiorra drawled. "I'm too old to be stuck here with children!" Jaehaera kept her smirk as she sat down with the rest of them. Sihtric, Finan, Rickon, Osferth, and the others went to the stables to put up the horses.

"Stiorra," their father warned. Stiorra sighed as she sat down and rested her head on her arms that were crossed over the table. The doors opened once more and Finan came walking through.

"Lord Aldhelm approaches from the road," he informed them. They all walked out after Finan to meet him. Sihtric and Rickon opened the gates from him quickly and Aldhelm came riding in. He quickly got down from his horse and walked to Aethelflaed.

"Lady," Aldhelm spoke, "Aethelred is injured." Jaehaera found herself smirking at the news and her siblings looked at her with raised eyebrows. She shook her head at them. "Some are saying fatally. There's a rumor he will not last the week."

"We must go to him," Aethelflaed answered and Jaehaera rolled her eyes. Stiorra and young Uhtred took notice. So did the boy Aethelstan.

"Tomorrow," Uhtred answered. "These roads are too dangerous at night-"

"We must speak to him and the Ealdormen," Aethelflaed interrupted and Jaehaera rolled her eyes once more and shifted her weight to her other foot. "No plan has been made for the succession."

"Lady, the mood amongst the Ealdormen is ugly," Aldhelm informed them and Aethelflaed. "Those who survived the massacre blame Aethelred for deserting them." As they should, Jaehaera thought. "They denounce your brother for not coming to their aid." Again, Jaehaera thought as she nodded in agreement shortly, as they should. Both men are utterly useless. Her siblings looked to her and their father to gauge their reactions. To see how they should respond as well. Stiorra copied the way Jaehaera stood.

"Does this anger extend to Aethelflaed?" Uhtred asked Aldhelm.

"I don't know," Aldhelm answered honestly. Uhtred looked back at his youngest children, Aethelstan, and Aelfwynn.

"We ride at first light," Aethelflaed instructed Aldhelm.

He nodded, "lady."

"Stiorra," Uhtred called. "Take the children and secure yourselves. Open the door to no one but us."

"Why?" she asked. "You said the Danes were defeated?"

"It is not just the Danes we have to fear," Jaehaera told her sister.

"What?" She asked sharply. "How much longer will I have to live like a prisoner." Like all of Uhtred's children, Stiorra seemed to have a flare for the dramatic. Jaeahera smirked and lowered her head to hide it as Uhtred turned to her when he heard Jaehaera snicker.

"She is young to take on such a burden," Aethelflaed pointed out.

"You were betrothed by her age, and my daughter fought," He reminded them all. "You both suffered worse. They will remain secure until the new threats have passed." Stiorra walked with Aethelstan and Aelfwynn from the hall. "We should not leave the children unprotected any longer. My men will stay here." Jaehaera nodded. "If Aethelred dies, times will be unstable. An empty throne provokes more trouble than a weak king." Jaeahera followed Aethelflaed and Uhtred to the tables after Stiorra, young Uhtred, and the other two children had left.

"Our traditions are strong," Aethelflaed explained to Uhtred. "The Ealdormen will choose a wise successor."

"And what if that successor seeks to have you removed?" Jaehaera asked. "Widows are rarely welcome in times of change. Your mother is the example."

"Mercia is my home," Aethelflaed answered.

"Yet you have no formal protection here," Her father added, "no son or father to speak for you. At best, they will send you to a nunnery, and marry your daughter to the highest bidder."

"No, Aelfwynn will not suffer because of this," Aethelflaed replied.

"So leave," Uhtred told her. "And come to Coccham where I can protect you both." Jaehaera looked at the floor before nodding to her father and leaving. He could talk to her on his own. Sihtric left the hall to find Sihtric and the others. She found Sihtric and the others sitting outside and speaking together.

Sihtric immediately called her over and opened his arms to her. Jaehaera took her spot in his lap and he held her. "What are you lot talking about?" she asked.

Sihtric shook his head. "Nothing of importance," he answered, "just how I surely beat Rickon in this battle."

Rickon kissed his teeth. And shook his head, "not likely," he mumbled. Jaehaera chuckled with the others and she rested back against Sihtric. The others continued speaking as Sihtric looked at her, nodding his head away from the others.

The two said their goodnights to their friends before walking to the room Sihtric would be staying in."Are you sure you are alright?" Sihtric asked while they both stripped off their armor. Jaehaera just nodded. "That doesn't comfort me. Talk to me, what are you thinking?"

She turned away from him as he moved her hair to the side to help her. "I am thinking at we will never know peace," she told him. "That right when we think we have fought and won one battle another one springs up. One or two more take its place." She turned to face Sihtric once more and he rested his head on hers. "I want peace long enough to marry you and start a family. I want peace long enough to see my siblings grow up and find love and happiness. That is what I want, and every day..." she trailed off when she felt a knot return to her throat. "Every day that thought, and that dream get further and further away."

Sihtric held her cheeks gently as he kissed her forehead. "I can't tell you that you are wrong," he told her. "But I find my peace in the small moments with you and the others. It never lasts long, but at the moment it's enough to last me a lifetime. It's enough to keep me going to the end of whatever battle or problem we find ourselves in. Just the thought of marrying you is enough. The thought of children with you is enough." He lifted her head to get her to look at him. "I know you have suffered a great loss right now, and I promise you I will be with you every step. But do not let this ruin the work you have put in to gain control. You have your siblings with you..." he trailed off. "You have me."

Jaehaera smiled and nodded at the reminder. "I hate it when your speak reason," she grumbled.

Sihtric smirked at her and kissed her gently, "how would you like me to speak to you?" he asked as he kissed her cheek. He slowly began to move down to her neck. Jaehaera closed her eyes at his lips on her skin.

"Like you are just as mad as me," she told him. Sihtric kept her close to him as she leaned her head back to give him more room.

"Oh Jaehaera," he began to whisper against her ear, "you have no idea just how mad you make me."

"Yes?" She replied, already breathless at his actions. He had such a hold on her he had no idea. He had no idea the power he had over her. Sihtric backed them to the bed, and when the bed hit the back of his knees he sat down and pulled her on top of him. He lifted her undershirt over her head.

"Yes," he answered. "Only the gods know what the sight of you covered in the blood of your enemies does to me." Sihtric began to kiss down her neck to her breasts. "Everyone else is petrified of you like that but...I could take you as mine right there for everyone to see." Jaehaera gasped when he lightly bit her and left a mark on her chest for just the two of them to see.

"What else?" She asked as she lifted his head roughly and began to return the favor. His eyes closed as well in pure bliss at her lips against his neck. He groaned when she marked the sensitive spot right under his jawline. "Seeing you with Cnut's sons made me want to fill you with my children," He admitted to her what she already knew. She could tell by the way he had looked at her that day she held both of them in her lap. She smirked against his collarbone.

Sihtric couldn't take any more of the stalling. He took her by her neck and lifted her lips to kiss and kissed her roughly. Jaehaera reveled in the feeling of his hand on her neck as she lost herself in his kiss. One hand tangled in what was left of his hair, and the other rested on his now bare chest. He winked up at her before tracing her chest with his lips, and tongue. Her back arched for a second, and he smirked at how responsive she was, even if she didn't want to be.

He left marks along the tops of her breasts, and under. Along her stomach and hips. His hands traced up her thighs and rested on her breasts while he kissed her hips lightly. Sihtric sat up a bit before turning them to lay her down on the bed. Sihtric traced his hands lightly from her shins to her inner thighs, opening them for him. He kissed and sucked on her right inner thigh, making Jaehaera's breath stop in her throat, and her eyes close. He held her hips, and looked up at her, "can I take these off? It would make this a whole lot easier," he teased.

She wanted to slap the smirk off of his face, but he would probably like it. "Yes, Sihtric, you can," she told him sweetly. Without a second thought, he pulled down her trousers quickly and tossed them somewhere in the room. She could feel his lips and breath ghosting over her cunt.

"You look gorgeous, all laid out like this," he complimented before kissing her pussy. A bolt of electricity rushed up her spine when Sihtric suddenly licked a stripe along her fold. A small gasp bubbles to the surface and escapes her mouth. She felt him smirk, "yes?" he asked her. She looked down to see a wicked smirk on his face. He focused on her clit with tight circles.

"Fuck," she breathed out, reaching and clutching his hair in her hand.

He lifted his head, "you have such a dirty mouth for such a gorgeous lady," he smirked.

"You're one to talk," she whispered, putting his head back down. Sihtric groaned in response, sending vibrations up her. He loved when she was rough with him, as well as the other way around. The sensation made her close her legs, but he roughly opened them again and held them open. "Shit," she hissed through her teeth. He continued to run his tongue along her increasingly wet folds, and the grip she had on his hair only tightened when his tongue dipped into her cunt, tasting her.

"God, you fucking taste like opium," he groaned into her core. The sentence only made her eyes want to roll back into her head. Everything he said turned her on more. The hum of his lips vibrated her skin again, and she shuddered at the feeling. The tip of his tongue grazed her clit, making her whimper. "Yeah?" he asked, "should I keep doing that?" Jaehaera wanted to reply, but it just came out in a languid moan. "Come on gorgeous, use your words," he commanded condescendingly.

"Fuck, yes please," she whispered breathily. She moaned his name loudly when he began to suck on her clit, sounding like music to his ears. He could listen to her moan for him every second of every day forever if he could. She gasped when she felt Sihtric's finger sink into her dripping core, and she never hated him so much. He hushed her whimpers with a light slap to her pussy as he continued to piston, now two fingers, in and out of her.

"Fuck, fuck, Sihtric," her breath caught in her throat again when he added a third finger into her dripping cunt, the stretch so delicious mixed with the feeling of his mouth on her clit. Her back arched off the bed, and with his free hand, he pushed her back down and held her there.

"Don't fucking move," he commanded darkly then he attached his mouth back to her, and she moaned his name like a mantra, not caring if the people heard. She tugged roughly on his roots and he groaned again, getting increasingly turned on, and bucking into the bed. She felt the knot in her stomach tightening. "I know love," he cooed, "you're close. What does my lady want?" he released her hip and threaded his fingers through her hair, gripping it just enough to make her whimper again. "Do you wanna cum?"

"Fuck, yes," she whimpered.

He smirked, "just a little more sweetheart, and I'll reward you for being so good to me, hmm?" he whispered in her ear, plunging his fingers back into her soaking core. The feeling of his thick fingers working her to her orgasm suddenly tipped her over the edge, making her release around his fingers. "That's it, love," he smirked, watching her mouth open in a silent moan, body rising from the bed. But didn't stop, he never did. He curled his fingers inside her, making her moan his name again loudly. Going in and out of her even faster than before, hitting her spot each time, making her see stars.

"Fucking hell Sihtric," she practically screamed when his lips came in contact with her clit again, making her close her legs around his head. He growled and pushed them open again before continuing.

"What did I fucking say?" he asked her, lust in his eyes.

"Don't, don't move," she breathed. He continued, flicking his tongue around her clit while working his finger inside her, and when he decided to pull the sensitive flesh of her clit between his teeth, her eyes rolled back into her head, orgasm crashing over her again. His name spilled out of her mouth, toes curling, letting out a final wail of his name, only intensified by his groans against her, and relentless sucking on her clit.

"Sihtric, fuck," she tried tugging him away from her, "I, I can't." Sihtric only hummed, giving her clit one long suck and lick before pulling back and sitting on his knees. Shit eating grin on his face, lips coated with her arousal. He pushed his three fingers into her mouth, making her taste herself.

"See, don't you taste good?" he asked, and she moaned around his digits, the dark look in his eyes setting sparks throughout her and his bodies. He pulled his fingers out and crashed his lips onto hers, so she could now taste herself on his lips instead. The kiss was rough and hungry. Teeth and tongue clashing. She could feel how hard he was against her thigh. Sihtric shamelessly loved how much bigger he was than her, especially at times like now. His lips attached to her neck, and her fingers tangled in his hair tugging again when he found the sensitive spot at the end of her jawline close to her ear. She scratched his back again. Sihtric kept both hands on her waist. Not wanting to not be touching her. He pulled his pants down quickly. "Gods, you are perfect," he mumbled into her mouth and kissed her again while pushing slowly into her. They both groaned at the feeling.

"Fuck you're so tight," he moaned, keeping his forehead on hers. After a second, he moved, Jaehaera moaning against his lips again, and he kissed her. Both of their lips are red and swollen. He wrapped his hand gently around her neck, "look at me, sweetheart, eyes on me," he commanded. She took a breath and nodded before smiling at him holding her neck while she looked at him. "You're fucking dangerous," He added while looking at her devilish smirk when he grabbed her throat.

Jaehaera looked at him and nodded. "Okay, Sihtric, faster," she moaned while keeping her head against the bed. Sihtric experimented with an angle and watched her eyes roll back.

He put his hand a bit tighter around her throat when she moaned louder, "eyes still on me, don't be quiet, I know you can be louder than that, yeah?" he asked smugly.

She squinted and then opened them again, "ah, fuck, there," she couldn't care less if her head went through the bed, "fuck, that's perfect," she moaned while holding his head against hers to kiss him.

He smiled against her lips when she moaned against her mouth, "you know if you keep this up, you'll have more than the manner of our relationship to explain to everyone," he teased.

"Shut up," she tugged on his hair while she kissed him roughly, "oh fuck," she moaned she he hit another spot, "harder Sihtric, shit," she nipped at his bottom lip.

"Careful now love, or you'll make me draw blood there," he told her, he felt himself losing control as he rested his forehead against hers while panting heavily, she felt like heaven around him.

"I don't give a shit," she moaned louder while getting closer, the ball in her stomach tightening. Jaehaera scratched down his back harshly, "shit, Sihtric I'm close, fuck," she tossed her head back again. He rested his head in the crook of her neck and sucked each mark even darker. She felt him grip her hips tighter, knowing he would leave bruises. "Oh god," she moaned while she could hear her heart beating rapidly in her ears. She felt like she was on fire, "right there, you're so fucking good," she groaned airly when he found a spot that made her feel like she had been taken to Valhalla. His head fell onto hers while she dug her nails into his back.

His hand wrapped around her neck gently and he squeezed, "remember what I said, pretty," he whispered in her ear. She swore she could cum right then, "keep your eyes on me. I want to see your face in full since you're so close. Try to scream my name in the process as well," he teased. He closed his hand around her neck a little tighter when he saw her eyes roll back.

"Fuck," she moaned again and leaned her head back again, "oh god, Sihtric, faster," she put her hand on his and tightened it around her throat, smirking at the feeling.

He raised an eyebrow, "someone's a dangerous one," he was slightly curious to see how much she could take and went harder into her and tightened around her throat a bit more. Her eyes rolled back and he felt like he could come from that sight alone. "Say when, if you'll even last that long." His eyes are practically black pits of lust looking down at her.

"Sihtric, oh, oh my god," she moaned as best she could with his hand around her throat, "Fuck I'm cumming.." she moaned. Jaehaera tried to bite her lip to keep from screaming his name as she came, dragging her nails down his back. Sihtric groaned into her mouth while he quickly pulled out of her, coming on the bed in the process.

He released her throat and admired his marks on her, "you know there's no way you're gonna be able to cover these," he informed her, tracing his finger over the hand bruises on her throat.

Jaehaera laughed breathlessly, "good thing my father won't be here in the morning when we wake up then."

Sihtric just shook his head at her tiredly before resting on top of her. "You can't tell me you don't even slightly like the hair now," he mumbled.

Jaehaera snickered and lightly hit him on the head. "If you want me to like it then I like it, love," she answered with a smile he couldn't see.

"OI!" Finan shouted from behind the door. "If you two are finished making babies, then you won't mind shutting the hell up so the rest of us can finally sleep!"

Jaehaera muffled her laughter in Sihtric's hair as he lifted his head. "Shut up, Irishman," he answered. "No one can understand you when you yell like this!" Jaehaera heard Osferth laugh from the room next to her and that's when she lost it.

"Jaehaera, it's not funny you she-devil!" Rickon joined in the shouting which didn't help calm her laughter. She couldn't breathe now.

"Would everyone shut up?" Sihtric asked. "Jaehaera can no longer breathe."

"Maybe try removing your hand from her throat?" Osferth suggested.

"Goodnight!" Sihtric yelled.

*********************************************************************

"Sister, tell us a story," Stiorra whined as she joined the others inside the hall.

Jaehaera smiled and shook her head, "Stiorra, I thought you were too old to be around children?" she teased her sister.

"I am, but I missed your stories," Stiorra answered while the men around chuckled.

"I agree," Young Uhtred agreed, sharing a smirk with the other men around. She shot her brother a glare but smiled as well.

"Please, Jaehaera," Stiorra begged once more. "Just one story. It can be about anything. Please?"

"Yes, please Jaehaera," Finan and Rickon joined in as the children begged for her to tell a story.

Jaehaera remained stern-faced, but couldn't hold it for long as Sihtric joined as well tugging on her hand. "Alright, alright," she conceded. "Gather 'round children. All of you," she looked at Finan, Rickon, Sihtric, and Osferth. They mocked her but moved closer like the actual children. She lifted Aelfwynn and placed her in her lap as the girl laughed. Aethelstan sat at her feet with Young Uhtred and Stiorra. "Do you know of the Valkyrs, Aelfwynn?" she asked.

The little girl shook her head, "no," she answered shyly.

"Do you, Aethelstan?" Jaehaera asked. The boy shook his head. "I shall tell you about them then. "They are Odin's special attendants, the Valkyrs. They are battle maidens that were either his daughters like Brunhild or the offspring of mortal kings. Maidens who were privileged to remain immortal and invulnerable as long as they implicitly obeyed the god and remained virgins." Rickon and Osferth snickered quietly. Jaehaera, knowing what they were thinking, shot them a glare.

Aelfwynn looked at the two, "shh," she instructed them while placing a finger to her lips.

Jaehaera nodded and looked down at her with a smile, "exactly, Aelfwynn, shh," she told them as well. Stiorra and Young Uhtred smirked back at the men who had gotten scolded. "As I was saying...they and their steeds were the personifications of the clouds, their glittering weapons being the lightning flashes. Our ancestors imagined that they swept down to earth at Valfather's command, to choose among the slain in battle heroes worthy to taste the joys of Valhalla, and brave enough to lend aid to the gods when the great battle should be fought." Aelfwynn stared up at Jaehaera as she listened, resting her head on the woman's shoulder.

Sihtric stood by the window with Finan as they looked out in case anyone should come and destroy the peace. "These maidens are pictured to be young and beautiful, with dazzling white arms and flowing golden hair. They wear helmets of silver and gold and blood-red corselets. Their shields and spears glittered as they boldly charge through the fray on their mettlesome white steeds. Their horses gallop through the realms of air, and over the quivering Bifrost, bearing not only their fair riders, but the heroes slain. Who after having received the Valkyr's kiss of death, were thus immediately transported to Valhalla."

"What is Valhalla, Jaehaera?" Aelfwynn asked.

"You do not know?" she teased the little girl. Jaehaera chuckled. "Valhalla is utter paradise, Aelfwynn. think of the most beautiful place you could ever imagine, and then multiply it by the biggest number you can think of."

"A thousand?!" Aelfwynn asked in shock.

Jaehaera laughed and nodded with Stiorra, "yes, a thousand," she agreed. "Even more than that."

"Can we go there!" Aelfwynn asked with excitement.

"You do not want to go there yet," Jaehaera told her while she shook her head. "But, if you are brave and strong, and protect others around you...you will be able to go there in the far far future. I will be waiting for you there, and so will Sihtric and Stiorra."

Aelfwynn nodded, "I don't think I can wait that long," she told Jaehaera honestly. Sihtric and the others smiled.

"You must," Jaehaera told her with a smile. "Can I go on?" she asked Alefwynn with a smile. The little girl nodded. "As the Valkyrs' horses were the personification of the clouds, it is natural to fancy that the hoar frost and dew dropped down upon the earth from their glittering manes as they rapidly dash to and fro. They are therefore held in high honor and regard, as the people ascribed to their beneficient influence much of the fruitfulness of the earth. The sweetness of dale and mountain-slope, the glory of the pines, and the nourishment of the meadow-land." Jaehaera held up a finger, "now," she paused. "The mission of the Valkyrs was not only to the battlefields upon Earth, but they often rode over the seas, snatching the dying Vikings from their sinking dragon ships. Sometimes they stood upon the strand to beckon them thither, and infallible warning that the coming struggle would be their last, and one which every dane hero received with joy."

"How many Valkyrs are there?" Aethelstan asked with a tilt of his head as he looked up at Jaehaera.

"I was getting to that," she answered him with a smile which he returned. "The numbers of the Valkyrs differ greatly according to the person who tells of them. They range from three to sixteen, most danes, however, name only nine. The Valkyrs are considered divinities of the air. It is said that Freyja and Skuld lead them on to the fray."

Osferth and young Uhtred had their faith, but they have never heard it spoken of like this. With such awe and wonder. "The Valkyrs have important duties in Valhalla," Jaehaera informed the children. "When their bloody weapons laid aside, they poured out the heavenly mead for the Einheriar. This beverage delighted the souls of the newcomers, and they welcomed the fair maidens as warmly as when they had first seen them on the battlefield. They realized that they had come to transport them where they fain would be."

"Are you a Valkyr, Jaehaera?" Aelfwynn asked. "I think you could be."

"You really think so?" Jaehaera asked. Aelfwynn nodded.

"My mother has told me stories of you in battle as she does with her and your father," Aelfwynn told her, and she smiled.

"I guess you have discovered my secret," Jaehaera told the little girl. Stiorra and Young Uhtred rolled their eyes but smiled with the men.

Aethelstan's eyes widened, "are you really?" he asked her.

"If I tell you," Jaehaera spoke softly to the two of them, "do you promise to keep my secret? To never tell another soul? Even your mother and father?" Jaehaera asked. The two children nodded vigorously. "Now," she held up her pinkies for both of them to take. "You have to swear to me that you will keep my secret until my sisters come to take you both to Valhalla. If you don't, you will surely have your pinkies cut from your hands and fed to Fenrir, the great wolf who rests beneath my father's hall in Coccham. I will feed your pinkies to him, and he will have your scent forever and never spot hunting you."

"I was going so well," Finan whispered to Sihtric at Jaehaera's words to the children. The two looked to see all of the children looking at her in fear and nodding at her. Even Stiorra and Uhtred, who knew the 'secret' to be false.

"Eh," Sihtric shrugged, "they are still enjoying it." he nodded for the men to look back at Jaehaera and the children.

"Good," Jaehaera answered and the three of them interlocked pinkies. "I will hold the highest spots for the two of you in Valhalla." She cradled Aelfwynn in her arms as she stood up. Jaehaera then placed Aelfwynn back on the ground. "Now go play, all of you, be children."

Aelfwynn and Aethelstan nodded and smiled as they ran off around the hall. "You're a Valkyr sister?" Young Uhtred questioned with a smirk.

"Sihtric certainly thinks so," Rickon teased as he laughed with the others. Sihtric pulled him into a headlock as the others continued to laugh at the scene in front of them.

Later on that day, Aethelstan sat and practiced his writing while Aelfwynn played in the courtyard with her birds in a cage nearby. Inside the hall, below Aethelstan, Sihtric and Jaehaera lay on the couch while Finan sat in the chair adjacent to them. Osferth, young Uhtred, Stiorra, and Rickon sat at the table playing a game. Sithtric placed a nut in one of the cups on the table in front of Finan, and he flipped the cups over. Then the Irishman began spinning them and moving them around on the table as Sihtric and Jaehaera tracked the cup with their eyes. Once he finished, Sihtric pointed to the third cup. Finan flipped it over and there was nothing under it. Jaehaera pointed to the one in the middle that she had been certain the nut was under.

When Finan lifted the cup, and there was nothing under it, Sihtric and Jaehaera sat up as Finan chuckled. Sihtric scoffed and lifted the last cup, only to find nothing underneath that one as well. The two looked at him in confusion. Finan then smiled at them with the nut between his teeth before eating it with a smirk on his face.

Jaehaera scoffed, but couldn't help but smile as she got up from the couch to walk to the window upstairs. She found Stiorra at the window already, and Young Uhtred laying on th bed. She stood with Stiorra who watched Aelfwynn below them chirping back at her birds. Jaehaera smiled softly at the little girl. "Was Bebbanburg as impressive as we were told as children?" Stiorra asked either one of her siblings.

"It was more so," young Uhtred answered. "And harder to attack."

"Do you think we'll ever return to it," Stiorra began, looking at their older sister, "or is it lost forever?"

"I don't think I will see it again in my lifetime," Uhtred answered. "Perhaps our children will reclaim it."

"We will," Jaehaera answered confidently. "Of course, we will. I have never seen our father give something up easily. He has only ever talked of returning to Bebbanburg, and as he had been so close to reclaiming it...I don't think he ever will stop fighting for it." She paused. "Even if it does kill him." She looked at her siblings, "our children will live there happily til they are old and gray like us. I swear it."

Stiorra snickered as she looked down at Aelfwynn, "I do not want children," she answered. Jaehaera smirked as she had once thought the same thing. "I'm tired of their company."

Horses neighed in the distance, and Jaehaera and her siblings both stood at once as they saw riders coming towards them. "Go, as you have planned," Jaehaera commanded them. "Now!" she insisted when they did not move right away. They nodded and quickly went to retrieve the children as she went to Sihtric and the others. "Aelfwynn, come here, quickly!" Jaehaera called down to the girl. Aelfwynn lifted her head to see the riders coming, and she quickly ran inside at once. She rushed down the stairs with her siblings. Aelfwynn and Aethelstan are already in the hall. "Men are riding this way," she told them.

"Which men?" Finan asked her.

"I don't know," Jaehaera spoke, "certainly not my father. There are five of them. They're coming fast." They all stood to move into action at once. "Wait," Jaehaera told them as the kids moved to do as they have planned many times. "They know this hall better than us, they have a plan."

Jaehaera watched her sister open the gates for the riders from the window. "Oh," Stiorra greeted. "Can I help you? Are you lost?"

"We are taking lady Aelfwynn to Aegelesburg," the men informed her.

"Oh, well," Stiorra began sweetly. Jaehaera smirked. "She's already been taken to Wintanceaster."

"Who by?" the man asked Stiorra.

"Erm," Stiorra began as she tilted her head to feign remembrance, "I think he called himself Uhtred."

"Let us in," the man commanded, and Stiorra led them inside. Jaehaera return to the hiding spot her sister had assigned her. "You two, search the grounds. The rest of you with me." Stiorra passed Finan in the hidden cupboard by the entrance to the hall. Sihtric, Jaehaera, and Rickon were stuck underneath the beds. They lay between the frame and the mattress. Once the men searching had left their area, the three dropped down quietly.

"I told you," Stiorra repeated to the man. "She's not here."

There was a moment of silence as the man waited for one of his men to tell him that they had found her, but no one said a thing. "Let's go," the man leading the searchers instructed his men. The men left, and Stiorra let out a sigh of relief. Uhtred saw the men leaving as he rode to where he had left his family, Aelfwynn, and Aethelstan. "Stiorra!" her father called. "Jaehaera!It is your father!"

Stiorra and the others came out of hiding at his worried shouts. He hugged his youngest tightly before kissing Jaehaera on the head as he had his arms full at the moment. "Did they hurt you?" he asked.

"No, it worked," Stiorra answered. "I sent them away."

"Good," Uhtred answered. Sihtric dropped down from the rafters above with Rickon, not only scaring her father enough to make him draw his sword but scaring Jaehaera as well.

"Sihtric! Rickon!" Uhtred warned as the two looked at him with smirks. He gave them both an unamused look which Jaehaera snickered at.

"She told you," Jaehaera began with pride. "They have prepared themselves for an invasion."

Finan came out of the wall behind her father and he looked at them in both confusion and pride. Athelstan came out from underneath the floorboard in the hall and appeared from the shadows. Jaehaera moved him to stand with her which he happily did. Finan knocked on a bench, and Osferth appeared from inside. "Lord," Finan greeted happily.

"Is it over?" Osferth asked.

"A little trickster you got there," Finan told Uhtred happily. Stiorra chuckled at the compliment as Finan wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"Where is Aelfwynn?" Uhtred asked. They all nodded and Finan led them out through the courtyard. He whistled and young Uhtred and Alfwynn appeared in the distance. They stood up from the grass that covered them from view. Uhtred turned to his youngest daughter with a proud smile and cupped her cheek gently before dropping his hands.

"Death came for mother faster than she could ever know," Stiorra spoke to her father. "I've always felt it would come for me, at speed, from nowhere." Jaehaera knew the feeling. "When I saw the horses, father, I was prepared, but I wasn't afraid. Besides, I had faith you'd come for me. And I was right." Uhtred hugged his daughter, and then Jaehaera once more. Jaehaera nodded at her sister proudly as young Uhtred and Aelfwynn came running to them. Young Uhtred held her birdcage.

"Bread, water, and weapons," Finan commanded them as they prepared to leave. "The rest we'll find on the road."

"Jaehaera, get the children on the cart," Uhtred instructed. Jaehaera had already begun what he had told her. "We head north towards Ceaster."

"Do you think we have enough?" Rickon asked. "With children and a band of six?"

"It's only until Aethelflaed secures agreement from her brother," Uhtred told Rickon as he followed him outside quickly. "All will be made right."

Finan and Uhtred rode in front of the cart. Osferth lead the cart behind his horse that held Aelfwynn and Aethelstan. Stiorra and young Uhtred followed the cart while Jaehaera, Sihtric, and Rickon rode in the back.

*********************************************************************

Aethelflaed walked within the room they had confined her to, and only turned with the door opened suddenly. The woman, Eadith, walked through and closed the door softly behind her. "Come," Eadith spoke instructed. "I have alerted the man who protects you. He's outside the window."

Aethelflaed looked at the woman with caution. "If you think I will fall into a trap," she began to warn as she followed the woman who now walked to the window. "You are mistaken."

Eadith stopped walking for a second and turned to Aethelflaed. "Please, lady, I am trying to help you."

"Why would a mistress help a wife?" Aethelflaed questioned.

"Because Mercia has wronged us both," Eadith began with passion as she tried to keep her voice quiet. "And our brothers have turned on us. Lady, we are not so different."

"I have never humped a man for influence," Aethelflaed replied sharply.

Eadith scoffed as she remembered Uhtred, the man she saw the lady walking with. And she remembered that this was the Lady of Merica. "Just for your country and political alliance," she shot back quickly as they did not have time for this. "I never humped Aethelred willingly and, believe me, I am paying for it. Go." Eadith walked to the window once more and moved to open it. "I have nothing and no one," she told Aethelflaed. "You have silver and men that will help you." She opened the window with a bit of force and then turned to Aethelflaed. "Use them."

Aethelflaed walked to the window and looked out and down to find Aldhelm there as Eadith had said. "Lady," Aldhelm called up to her.

Aethelflaed turned to Eadith, "will Eardwulf not kill you for this?" she asked.

"He will try, but he will not succeed," Eadith told her. "Go, lady. My brother cannot be controlled, and will bring nothing but disaster."

"Find Uhtred on the road to Ceaster," Aethelflaed informed her. "Tell him to meet me at the ruins of Saint Milburg's Priory. Do this and I will ensure you never go penniless." the two shared a smile before Aethelflaed climbed from the window and dropped down to the hay below her. She got up quickly and mounted her horse. "Aldhelm, do I really abandon Mercia after everything?"

Aldhelm looked at her with slight sadness. "Lady, Mercia has abandoned you."

Aethelflaed sighed and then the two rode off into the night to meet Uhtred at Saint Milburg's Priory like she had told Eadith. Eadith watched from the window to see them off safely. Then she too left to find Uhtred.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

29K 1.8K 10
She was a dream, the calm in the storm, since being a babe, the youngest of her siblings, Young Ragnar, Uhtred and Thyra. A girl much too gentle, her...
745 33 7
As a child, Estrilda fled Danish invaders in Bebbanburg and settled in Wessex. She lived an unassuming life as a healer until the return of her broth...
52.2K 1.7K 31
in which a dane kissed by the gods falls in love with a monk that only believes in one the last kingdom | osferth x oc only on wattpad dark mod...
4.6K 204 20
"I am a Noble Lady of Cent. If you would like to incur the wrath of my father and of Wessex after you have killed me, go ahead." ☼ Finan x Fem. OC