Selfless Love

By JoyfulMinnie

Maxi didn't know she was pregnant when she was kidnapped. Will Maxi's mana be enough to sustain them until th... More

Selfless Love
Lullaby
Bad Language
Bun in the Oven
Oh Baby
The Storm
A Day at the Lake
Feeling Helpless
Summer Festival
Absolute Certainties
Paint
Nightmares
Hide and Seek
Siblings Quarrel
Riding Lessons
Babysitter
Happy Mother's Day Maxi
Uncle Hebaron
Misunderstandings
An Impossible Choice
Madness
Missing Pieces
A New Collection
Christmas Comes Early
Don't Go
Rest Well, Old Friend
Spooky Season
Family Portrait
The Tutor

Father's Day

976 18 10
By JoyfulMinnie

Andrew and Victoria had struggled to keep a secret for several days. It wasn't a bad secret or even a dangerous one, quite the opposite in fact. They had to keep a secret that they were very excited about. And if that wasn't challenging enough as it was, they had to keep it from none than their father who seemed to have a sixth sense for knowing when something wasn't quite right in regards to his family.

It was the middle of the summer and Father's Day was finally here. Andrew, Victoria and Maxi had worked together with the servants and kitchen staff to try to surprise him. Even some of the Remdragon Knights had joined in and tried to keep the Commander occupied as his family snuck about as they prepared for the big day.

Riftan was almost at his wits end. Every time he had tried to leave his office, Hebaron or Gabel would bring up another matter that they believed needed to be addressed immediately. Most of these matters could have been seen about later in the week but the knights had been adamant that he would see about these matters right then and there.

A soft knock could be heard upon the sturdy oak door of his office and Rudis's soft voice asked for permission to enter the room. The young maid leaned her head in.

"I wanted to inform you that dinner is ready," she said sweetly.

The men got up and began moving towards the door but stopped when they noticed Rudis had not moved out of the way so they could open the door.

"My Lord," she spoke gently as she bowed her head. "Your family has requested that you join them in the castle garden this evening."

The young woman couldn't help the edges of her lips from curling as she fought the urge to smile. She bowed quickly and removed herself from their path before she lost her composure.

Riftan stood still for a moment, processing the odd request. Normally his family dined with him and the knights every evening. What was it about tonight that was so special? He looked back and forth between Gabel and Hebaron who did their best to act indifferent.

The men walked out together moving in silence as Riftan tried to mull over why they would need him in the garden.

"Have a nice evening, Commander," Hebaron called out over his shoulder just moments after the men had parted ways, heading in different directions within the castle. Having known him for so long, Riftan easily noticed the hint of mischief in the burly knight's voice.

Gabel quickly grabbed the knight's arm and pulled him away before he had a chance to say anything else. Riftan could hear Gabel muttering something about "working hard" and "ruining it" which left him even more puzzled.

He walked quickly eager to see what was so important and secretive that everyone seemed to know about it except him. He reached the archway that led into the beautiful garden his wife had created and he paused. The quaint garden normally shrouded in darkness at this late hour was bathed in soft light from hundreds of candles that had been placed throughout the garden.

He quietly made his way through the garden, a rare sense of calmness washing over him as he made his way through the serene space. The soft hum of cicadas could be heard throughout the small garden. He made his way towards the center of the garden where the old oak tree stood and he froze.

His wife and his two young children sat upon a massive blanket at the base of the tree. They had four large baskets set to the side. Maxi leaned over adjusting the final touches of the goblets, plates, and napkins set out upon the blanket while the children fidgeted as they sat on the blanket with obvious excitement.

"Where is Daddy?" Victoria whined impatiently.

"He will be here any moment," Maxi said in a calm, soothing voice.

"Do you think we actually pulled it off?" Andrew asked excitedly.

"I hope so," Maxi said, hardly containing her own excitement.

"I don't know," Andrew said worriedly, "nothing surprises Dad."

Riftan chuckled quietly at his son's statement before stepping out of the shadows where he had observed his family from afar.

"Then consider this a first," he called out to them, unable to hold back a bright grin as he watched his children's faces light up when they saw him.

"Dad!" they cried as they lept to their feet and raced over to him.

He bent down and scooped them up in his arms. They hugged him as tight as they could and he hugged them back warmly.

Maxi felt tears of joy threaten to fall as she watched the beautiful scene unfold in front of her.

Riftan walked over and set his children down on the blanket before sitting down next to his wife. He wrapped an arm around her slender waist and pulled her closer to his side.

"What's all this about?" Riftan asked curiously.

Maxi beamed up at him before turning her head to look at their children. Riftan followed her gaze and now looked at Andrew and Victoria's joyful faces. Maximilian nodded, silently giving her children permission to speak.

"Surprise!" the young Calypses squealed. "Happy Father's Day!"

The bright smiles on the children's faces were infectious and he couldn't help beaming back at them.

"I helped the kitchen staff pack all your favorite things for our picnic," Andrew said proudly.

"And I helped set out the candles!" Victoria shouted, not wanting to feel left out.

Riftan tore his gaze away from his children as he felt Maxi shift in his embrace. He looked down at her and was surprised to see her looking up at him with a nervous expression.

"I know we could have had a more lavish meal in the dining hall," she said quietly. "But we wanted to celebrate together, just the four of us."

Riftan sat in silence for a moment, stunned and touched by this sweet gesture his family had created just for him.

Maxi mistook his silence for disappointment and began rambling.

"I'm sorry it's just finger food but it would be hard for the children to use them while sitting on the ground. If you'd rather-"

Riftan promptly cut her off with a swift, sweet kiss.

"Thank you," he said in a rare gentle voice he only used with his family. He turned to face their children. "It's perfect."

The children squealed with delight and attempted to tackle their father in another big hug.

The family happily dined together under the stars, bathed in the light of hundreds of candles. The children had written sweet notes and crafted little gifts for their father. He promised to cherish these gifts and he meant every word.

"Where's your gift for Dad, Mommy?" Victoria asked curiously.

Maxi blushed and Riftan was about to explain to his daughter that Maxi didn't have to get him anything when Maxi spoke first.

"Oh don't worry," Maxi said, excitement evident in her voice. "I left my gift in our room. I'll give it to him later."

Maxi nearly squealed when Riftan squeezed her waist tightly. Andrew and Victoria looked at each other then back at their parents with confused expressions on their faces but soon let it go, quickly getting distracted by something else.

"Firefly!" Victoria hollered excitedly, as she pointed her little finger at the small bugs giving off light as they flew around the garden. 

The children stood up quickly and started to  run out into the grass.

"Wait!" Maxi cried. She quickly began looking through one of the baskets before pulling out two glass jars and handing one to each of her children. Andrew and Victoria grabbed the jars and sprinted through the garden.

Soon the sound of joyful laughter and squeals of delight could be heard throughout the garden as the children chased and caught lightning bugs.

Riftan took a deep relaxed breath as he leaned against the sturdy trunk of the oak tree. Maxi nestled herself against his chest, though her eyes were still very much alert as she watched their children play.

Riftan lazily rubbed her back as he could feel her muscles tense with worry each time she witnessed Andrew and Victoria nearly trip over some roots from bushes nearby. The couple held each other as they sat in comfortable silence watching their children play.

Eventually the young Calypses wore themselves out and their parents took them to bed. They left the blanket, plates and goblets behind knowing the servants would take care of it as soon as they had departed from the garden.

Maxi and Riftan tucked their children in for the night. The children gave their dad extra hugs in honor of this special day.

Riftan paused outside their bedchamber, lost in thought as he pondered over the wonderful evening he had experience with his little family. Maxi, who noticed her husband's eyes were far away, gently caressed his cheek. He blinked slowly coming back to reality before turning his head slightly to kiss the palm of her hand.

"Thank you," he breathed out softly. "Thank you for this perfect night."

She beamed up at him, proud that she and the children and the staff had managed to pull this off and was thrilled that he had thoroughly enjoyed his evening.

"Happy Father's Day, Riftan," she whispered as the rose on her tip toes and craned her neck so she could give him a quick kiss.

He bent down, eyes closed, trying to follow her lips and continue their kiss but he stopped and opened his eyes when he felt her slender finger press against his lips.

Maxi looked at her husband with hunger in her eyes and a devilish smirk on her face.

"This perfect night isn't over yet," she said quietly as her smirk spread into a wicked grin.

He quickly grabbed her by the waist and lifted her up, tossing her across his shoulder. She giggled with surprise and delight as he carried her into their room.

This perfect night was indeed far from over, on the contrary it had only just begun...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340K 17.3K 69
*NOTE: THIS STORY HAS TWO PARTS IN ONE BOOK* In the werewolf fables told to their children, was a story--- a legend--- of a ruler--- a leader--- who...
64.3K 3.6K 52
Did you fall in love with Can and Sanem's fairy tale and were left with that longing to know how the story would continue? Maybe you wondered how he...
2.2K 42 3
"Riftan," Pure utter temptation and sin every...single...day. "Maxi...You know fire makes you glow." She hummed in response, sitting up and the desig...
1.6K 148 24
"She is the future kings Mate and she is to endure much pain before making him fall Inlove with her, She was Going to fight with her sister due to t...