The Winter

By Scottish_writer

Wolves of Ragnarök - Book 2 Until spring. . . That was the promise given to us by Sköll; the blood of one of... More

Copyright
The Terrible Winter
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 11

660 53 6
By Scottish_writer

Does everyone deserve a second chance?

Chapter 11

Mother looked as frantic as Oighrig did when she got herself into a state, after I announced I was going back out to wait for my mate’s return.
“You’re safe inside,” I promised. “And I will be with Astrid.”

Astrid herself blanched as I snatched up her arm before she could pass me by. She’d been busy making sure everyone was accounted for, and now she’d confirmed it, I needed her. Much to my surprise, mother looked at Eirny for guidance. The older female clasped my mother’s hand in hers and patted it, her odd lavender eyes filled with sympathy.

“It’s hard to let them go, but with Hati out with the scouts, she is Alpha here.” She smiled and leaned in to whisper something only my mother heard, and she let out a gentle sigh in turn.

“Don’t do anything foolish, Eabha.”

“As if Astrid would let me.”

Eirny’s brow lifted, but she said nothing. Astrid and I together would be incapable of avoiding trouble.

“Caldar will be at the gates waiting on Hati’s return. He’ll keep an eye on them both too,” Eirny added, and that seemed to settle my parents worries enough. She glanced up at my father and motioned for him to lead the way. “I wish to get to know and your family, we are all one now, are we not? Introduce me to your other pups.”

“Indeed,” Father agreed, though he cast one last glance my way before leaning in to press his cheek to mine. A nip to my jaw told me without words that I was to look after myself.

Astrid shifted nervously by my side as we watched them all trail down the empty corridor. “Do you think it’s Sköll out there? Or a distraction maybe? Farrin isn’t completely recovered, I don’t like the idea of him out there.”

“I don’t know. Hati didn’t take enough warriors to worry about it being a distraction, if the castle is the real target. He’ll watch over Farrin too. I want to be at the gates when they get back. An extra set of eyes watching our walls can’t be bad either.”

“I should really stay. I’m meant to make sure everyone remains calm. Why don’t you come with me and wait in the warmth rather than out there in the ice?”

Because I wanted to make sure Hati didn’t get the chance to hide anything from me.

“The council members are capable of looking after everyone for a bit,” I replied. “But I won’t make you abandon your duties. You should stay if you feel you must.”

She sighed as if she has the weight of the world on her shoulders, looking longingly towards the hall where some of the pack were gathered with warmth and food, and then back at me.

“I would like to know my own mate gets back safely. . .is joining you an order, my new Alpha?”

“What?” I frowned. “No, of course not.”

She rolled her eyes and gripped my shoulders, repeating what she said slowly with a mischievous look on her face. “No, Eabha, is it an order?”

“Why do you keep. . .oh. . .” I grinned. “Yes, that would be an order, whelp!”

“Whelp?” Astrid lifted a brow.

“Cousin of my mate?”

She laughed and linked her arm with mine. “That’s better. We should be less jovial around Caldar though. He’ll fret until Hati returns.”

I nodded my agreement, stepping out into the snow that crunched beneath my boots. “He should give us a bit of leeway, it is my mating day after all.” I glared up at the cloud heavy sky, wondering if the gods could feel my ire. “Of course it would end this way.”

Astrid gave me a gentle nudge and nuzzled into my cheek. That was all the comfort I needed. Especially as I’d get none from the male turning around at the gate to narrow coal dark eyes on us. I was his Alpha now, but I still felt the need to shrink under that stern gaze, forcing myself to keep my head straight.

“We just want to wait with you.”

Caldar gave us both a once over, tugging his fur-lined cloak tighter around his shoulders, then glared up at the sky as more white snowflakes began to twirl down. “As long as you stay this side of the gate, I won’t argue with you, Alpha.”

“You shouldn’t argue with me at all,” I replied teasingly as Astrid and I reached his side.

Torches lined the road ahead, to illuminate the forest either side more than the road itself for it disappeared around the bend after only a few metres. I could probably see well enough without them, but I doubted the normal wolves amongst our number would, not with the sun hidden and sky so dark despite it being hours yet from evening. This far North, the world grew even darker than my homeland during the winter months, with only a few hours of true daylight.

“Have you heard anything?” Astrid asked as she meandered over to stand by a blazing brazier under the overhanging shed roof.

Caldar shook his head, staring out past the gates with his eyes screwed up against the blurring view. The weather would play into the intruder’s hands, covering tracks and scents as easily as magic might do. The hood of my own cloak was quickly weighed down by the growing blizzard and I didn’t blame Astrid for seeking what shelter she could.

“Whoever it is, they’re alone, otherwise the patrol would have returned rather than alert everyone for mile’s that we spotted them,” Caldar said at length. “Other than that, I don’t know any more than you do.”

“So it could be anything out there?”

“I imagine if it was a Blood Drinker, Hati would have sent someone back to tell us. And if it was a wayward human, they’d have sent them on their way by now and returned. So it could be a wolf seeking help, or trouble with the nearest village. A messenger from Magne back at the port perhaps, or-“

A shadow moved past one of the torches just before the bend that took it out sight. Caldar held up one hand above his eyes to try and see through the snow, and I turned back to make sure nobody had moved past one of the fire's behind us. Fire and snow sometimes caused strange shapes to form where they ought not to, but the courtyard was empty, and the doors of the castle were pulled tight shut against the cold.

I shivered, and it has nothing to do with the cold. A prickling over my skin warned me there was magic in the air, which Astrid confirmed.

“There’s something out there,” she whispered, leaving the comfort of the fire to creep back to Caldar’s side. “I can sense it. It’s similar to Hati’s aura, but not at the same time.”

“You can sense that?” My brows jumped in surprise. Despite being the daughter of one of the Vargr, Astrid’s father’s parentage had left her only a little stronger than the average skinshifter.

“I can’t use magic, but I can feel it sometimes. Family tend to have a similar. . .” Her nose scrunched as if she struggled find the words. “Imprint? Sensation? Most magic users can sense magic in others. I didn’t get the magic, but I got the sense for it.”

Was that why she believed me when many others didn’t? Could she sense there was something more to me when we first met? There wasn’t time to delve into it. The crunch of footsteps proved our suspiciona right, but it was deep within the forest, and almost sounded as if they were moving away rather than closer.

“If it’s not Hati,” Caldar said slowly. “And you feel a familial link. . .”

“Sköll,” Astrid choked.

Unease washed over me.

Caldar picked up the massive sword resting against the barn wall and turned to look at Astrid and I. “I’m going to see what I can find. As much as I want to order you inside, the gate needs to be watched.” He pointed a finger at me. “Do not. Leave. The gate.”

I nodded, but at the same time I wanted to tell him not to go. “You’re not Vargr. You have no magic. What do you think to do when you find him?”

“Don’t worry about me.” He smirked, but there was little emotion behind it. “I have Gods of my own who aren’t finished with me yet. They won’t let another god from another pantheon be the end of me.”

For some reason, I got the feeling he wasn’t speaking in metaphorical terms. Pain and resignation thickened his voice, and his eyes flashed when they met mine. I knew that look. He thought he’d said too much, but I already had many questions surrounding the strange Beta from Alba, and Hati had already warned me it was up to Caldar whether he shared his story with me or not. For now, he didn’t elaborate. Turning on his heel, he unsheathed his sword and swung it in an oddly delicate pattern before marching off the road into knee deep snow, disappearing into the blur of snow.

My heart thumped so loud, I could hear it. It felt like sending Caldar to his doom if it really was Sköll out there, but what would he be doing here alone? If I had to shift and ruin my dress to fight in fur on my mating day, I would be entirely unhappy.

“If looks alone could kill, Eabha, it is no wonder our visitor is hiding from you in the trees,” Astrid teased, but there was a tightness in her voice that betrayed her nerves.

“If I knew how to use my power, maybe I could kill with a look.”

My friend gave me a worried glance, but decided to leave my comment alone.

It felt like an hour we both waited in the quickly dropping temperature; long enough that my cloak was drookit and freezing in places. Astrid tossed more logs into the brazier and rubbed her hands vigorously together above the warm flames. I felt guilty as I heard her teeth chatter, and was about to tell her to go inside when I heard the unmistakable sound of a growl. It wasn’t deep enough for the intent to be fear, in fact it almost sounded akin to a wolf simply let another know they were there.

“Caldar?”

Silence.

But the hair on my arms was on end and I felt the heat of watching eyes. Astrid must have sensed it too. As one we moved to the middle of the gate, and I was impressed how swiftly my new cousin slipped into a defensive crouch with no trace of fear in crystal eyes. I thought she was with me then, but when I went to take a step, she grabbed my arm.

“What are you doing?” she whispered.

“We won’t go far enough to be out of sight of the gate, but we have to look. What if Caldar’s hurt? He’s been gone a while now and I doubt he would have gone too far.” Irritation with constant restrictions fuelled my ire as I muttered, “I thought you were a warrior.”

Astrid’s lips pinched together.

“I’m sorry.” I rubbed my numb fingers over my freezing face. “That was unfair.”

“I know how to fight,” she said harshly. “But my role is to stop flights from happening. Not start them. Gods, Eabha, stop, you can’t go out there!”

Shaking her off, I marched through the gates and ignored her whine of protest. I didn’t need to go far anyway. Because as the snow began to slow down enough I could make out the bend in the road again, I saw him. Leaning against the spiderweb of tangled roots belonging to a fallen tree, he appeared very much the languid cat as dark eyes scanned over Astrid and I.

Now the trickery and games being played made sense. He’d been toying with our patrols, I had no doubt, and us too.

“Vali,” I greeted dryly, knowing he would hear me despite the distance between us.

Astrid gasped from behind me, and snow crunched as she began to retreat further behind the gate. I remembered Hati mentioning once that wards went round the perimeter, but I wasn’t sure how they worked or what their limits were. Astrid seemed to think it was safer on castle ground than out here.

“You left without saying goodbye.” Pushing away from the roots, full lips pouted as Vali strode towards me, completely naked but unbothered by the cold. “You hurt my feelings. I had to deal with the fall-out of your disappearing act, which was a nice trick I must admit, it really grated on my poor nephew’s nerves. In fact, Sköll was certain one of us had betrayed him and helped you, even went so far as to question me!” His eyes narrowed, and I took a wary step back. “I’ve come to demand an apology from you, Little Wolf. And you will tell me how you pulled off your trick in a room where no magic can be used. You didn’t even leave a trace.”

I blinked in disbelief, then snorted, searching the forest behind him for any sign there were others lurking, or that Caldar was close by. But the trees were still, and the snow had stopped to leave the land quiet, calm, and gleaming white. Somehow, Vali must have managed to give Caldar a false trail to follow, but why? Whatever the reason, I definitely didn’t trust a word the strange demi-god said anymore than I trusted my mate’s brother.

What other reason could Vali have for being here other than to cause mischief much like his own father probably delighted in doing? An apology couldn’t be all he wanted. Unless it had something to do with what he said about Sköll doubting him. . .

“He doesn’t know I’m here,” Vali said, because it was obvious that would be my first thought. Although, I doubted Vali cared much for anyone giving permission for him to do anything, least of all Sköll.

“I’m sorry I left without saying goodbye,” I replied curtly, taking a few more steps back without making it obvious I was desperate to get back behind the gate with Astrid. “You can go now.”

Vali laughed then tutted with a wagging finger in the air. “Not so soon, she-wolf. That one behind you smells like the wolf you were with when we met.” Dark eyes darted to Astrid, and my friend froze under his gaze. “Are you his mate? That is a pity. . .”

Vali didn’t know Astrid was an extended member of Hati’s family? Did Vali know of Eirny? Maybe it was best he didn’t.

“Why you here?” I demanded, a growl roughening my tone as the nerves coiling in my stomach became more insistent that I was in danger.

Sniffing, Vali decided to leave Astrid alone and returned his attention to me with a slow growing grin. Bowing absurdly low, he swept an arm out before him. “Why, I have come to beg the mercy of my most dearest nephew Hati. I hear you might be Alpha at his side soon, so please accept my most ardent surrender to your will. I have fled Sköll’s keep, and in doing so have gained his eye for vengeance. My life is now in your hands, for should you send me away, I will most certainly be set upon and captured, then subjected to the most heinous-“

“Enough with the flowery words,” I interrupted, casting a look over my shoulder when I swore I heard Astrid giggle at Vali’s dramatic performance. “Hati left with a group of warriors to catch an intruder mere seconds after we were declared bound, I suppose that was you?”

The mild look of guilt might have been faked, but the delight he took in his game of chase was real. “I had to get you alone. You won’t kill me before hearing me out, and I think you can get my nephew to agree to listen. I know things. I know who is most loyal to Sköll and who amongst his men whisper of treachery. Unless you want to torture me or cast me out.” He winked. “Then I know nothing.”

“You’re truly alone?”

“I am, though I left a trail that might make one think there are more. I wasn’t born a wolf but I’ve learned quickly how to think like one. You could use me on your side.”

“Hati is the one you want to save your begging for,” I mused, studying him for any sign of deception. His gaze flicked around nervously, and he’d taken a few creeping steps forward as if he too was desperate to get onto castle grounds; but was it to infiltrate the pack or for want of safety?

“I kept you alive,” he said, low enough Astrid couldn’t hear. “I guided you to Hati safely, I made sure Hati himself was unharmed. . .as much as I could. . .I convinced Sköll to leave the port town alone, alongside the Vargr stationed there too. You owe me.”

Desperation shone in his eyes, alongside a flicker of disgust. And that was what made me begin to wonder if he spoke true, because the disgust was for himself. He hated lowering himself to pleading for his life.

“I don’t believe you left Sköll because he doubted your loyalty for a moment. You’d have found a way into his good graces again, perhaps by offering to get yourself inside the pack. . .”

My head twitched as the sound of boots and paws came pounding down the road. Vali’s eyes widened as he whipped around to see the scouts returning, soaking wet and openly grumpy as they snapped at each other. Caldar had found his way to Hati, still in skin and clothes, he didn’t spot us before the humongous wolf leading the way did. The Alpha had returned.

Honey eyes blazed to a fiery red as Hati stopped in his tracks. His gaze flicked to each of us in turn before he bared rows of sharp teeth and issues forth a long, low growl that rumbled like thunder through the air. The scouts around him quickly rearranged themselves, following their Alpha’s lead as they began to growl and posture towards our intruder, just waiting for permission from their Alpha to pounce.

“Please,” Vali whispered sharply, glancing back at me with growing desperation as Hati began to stalk forward, his fingers curling into the fabric of my dress.

Indecisive, I had mere seconds to choose, step out of the way and let Hati do with his uncle as he will, or cover his throat. Did I think Vali trustworthy enough, or even deserving, of mercy? Did I believe he’d tell us what we needed to know? He had helped me find Hati, had made sure to keep me out of view of anyone in Sköll’s keep. . .

Heaving a breath, I cut the desperate male a sharp glance, and made my decision.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 150 23
There was a Prophecy told by a wise man centuries ago. The person will be reborn in this world and will face many hardships. He/she will make a deal...
74K 3K 63
(Condensed scene from the POV of Kayla) I can never have children, and I'm sure my mate felt what happened to me. If I ever meet him, he is sure to r...
14K 255 39
Tsk-tsk. Alex Hayes lets her anger get the best of her one horrible day. An abusive father takes role in beating his child senseless everyday for two...
187 26 25
Animals long ago respected one another. Were equal and fair to one another. Even humans, when they were like us. Creatures hunted and built shelter f...