Endlessly

By ECSharpe

You are the perfect daughter of Vanaheim: quiet, studious, and loyal to your family... but everything changes... More

Galdraormur
The Dark Prince
Loki
Frumverr and Flowers
The Insurmountable Choice
Blood and Water
Hnoss
Aster
Revelations
The Autmn Ball
Bragi
Cold Feet
Laufeyson
The Impossible Child
Hilund
I Am Not Afraid
Connect the Neck to What's Below
Heredity
Hive Mind
Laufey
You're By My Side
Resurrection
Crimson Tears and Mysterious Crystals
In Any Body
Auras and Arcanas
Journey into Mystery
Thank You
The Dawn of a New Era
A Reason for Celebration
The Lesson
Masks
Gone
Roots in Love
The Highest Highs and Lowest Lows
Unsighted
Succession
Confessions
The Arcana
Endlessly
Ikol
Welcome to Jotunheim
The Palace of Ice and Flames
Tides of Chaos

Urdoor

125 11 13
By ECSharpe

The feeling surrounding you is unlike any other you've experienced before.

You were no longer falling, but you also had not made impact. Yet, there is without a doubt, ground underneath you once again. Wherever you are, the thick, inky blackness surrounding you is so dark that you cannot even see your own hands outstretched in front of you.

You begin to crawl in one direction on your hands and knees, keeping a single hand reached out in front of you, desperately trying to find something to clue you in to where you are.

After several minutes of this, you bang your knee into what you're pretty certain is a rock, yelping in pain.

That felt pretty real- perhaps I'm not dead.

"Dammit all to Hel!" You scream out in frustration, feeling horrifically hopeless and confused.

"Hel... Hel... Hel..."

The tail end of your curse echoes all around you several times before fading away in what sounds like a pretty far off distance to your left.

You carefully rise to your feet, arms both outstretched, taking careful steps in the direction that you're praying leads you out of here.

"Hello?"

"... hello... oh... oh... oh..."

Taking small, short steps, you slowly follow the sound of your reverberating voice.

—————

Tears stream down your cheeks as you stagger through the darkness, more and more convinced each moment that you're never getting out of here.

How long have I been walking?

You cease your feeble wandering, your knees shaking beneath you, and suck in a sharp breath. You hold your breath until your chest burns, unsure as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Maybe this will calm me down, or make me pass out. Either one would be fine.

Just as you're about to let out your breath, ceasing the fire in your chest, you hear something in the distance. A sigh, a growl, or perhaps just a figment of your imagination- you're almost positive you heard something.

You quickly catch your breath, taking several steps in the direction of the sound.

You hear it again, without a shred of doubt this time.

Someone or something is definitely down here.

————————

Your heart pumps so wildly that you can hear the whir of it in your ears as you tiptoe in the direction of the sound. As you get closer, you realize that you're hearing voices- as if someone is having a hushed conversation down here in the dark.

A shiver runs down your spine as you will yourself to inch closer.

Who would choose to hide here? Unless of course they didn't choose to be here, and you've wandered into some type of dungeon. Oh gods-

You've just about scared yourself into turning around when you see a dim, warm light at the end of the passage. You're quite certain it's spilling out into the darkness from behind a cracked open door.

Okay... so that certainly doesn't seem like a prison cell.

You force your feet to head in that direction yet again, barely breathing in an attempt at remaining undetected by whoever or whatever is in that room.

As you approach the large, wooden door, you begin to discern parts of the conversation.

"We will have to have an heir- that's the entire point of this."

"Yes, I plan to tell her once we're married."

Another voice chimes in.

"Do you think she'd let me be involved?"

"If only I could give you an heir..."

You creep forward, as silent as possible, taking slow, shallow breaths in an attempt at hearing the conversation without being detected.

"It's silly for us to discuss the impossible. I love you- no title, duty, heir or circumstance is going to change those feelings."

In that moment, you realize that you recognize one of the voices.

It is the voice of Prince Aster.

Your head begins to spin at the realization, and perhaps because you've barely been breathing for the last several minutes. Lightheaded, you begin to lose your footing.

You tip forward, unable to steady yourself with your feet alone, and reach out to stabilize yourself against the wall, causing the large wooden door leading into the room to let out a low creek.

"What was that?"

"I'm sure it's nothing, nobody else can get here."

"I'm going to take a look."

Completely paralyzed by the situation unfolding around you, you make no attempt at hiding away. When Aster rounds the corner, the two of you almost immediately lock eyes. You're unsure as to which one of you is more bewildered at that moment.

"What is it?" The other mysterious voice, that you're now almost certain you recognize as well, calls out from inside the room.

"'Um..." Aster trails off, his eyes never leaving yours.

"Are you alright?" The other, definitely familiar voice calls out again.

Bragi emerges from the room, his face contorted with concern. When his eyes lock with yours, he too falls into your shared silent stupor.

After several agonizing moments, you finally choke out, "I'm sorry." You're unsure as to what exactly you're apologizing for. The news you intend to share with Aster, accidentally falling into wherever the hel you are, or catching him and Bragi... What exactly have you just caught them doing?

"You're sorry?" He laughs- actually laughs in a situation as this. "You've just happened upon your future husband hiding away in another realm having an intimate conversation with- wait, how much did you hear?"

"I'm not sure." You stammer. "... Something about having an heir and after we're mar- hang on, did you just say that we're in another realm!?"

He turns to Bragi with a puzzled expression before answering your question.

"She must know. She couldn't have gotten here without magic." Bragi whispers to Aster as though you aren't standing right there hearing his every word.

Aster turns back to you, seemingly expecting you to say more.

"Aster... where the hel are we?"

The prince raises a puzzled brow at your question. "Gersemi... how did you get here?"

"I have no fucking idea, Aster!" You explode. All of your fear, anxiety and confusion has caused you to finally reach your boiling point. "I was in the palace gardens when I noticed some runes carved into the Socotra tree, and then, I just sort of... fell- would one of you PLEASE tell me what's going on!?" You slap your hand over your mouth as you realize that in your panicked state, you've just cursed in front of the future king.

The boys exchange a bewildered look.

"We're in Alfheim- but just barely." Aster announces plainly. "You should come inside, it's much less spooky in there." His tone softens.

You nod without another word, desperately trying to process what in the nine just barely in Alfheim means, following them inside with your stomach in knots.

Your eyes dart around the room, taking in the small space. You find it difficult to accept that you've just stepped into a place as comforting as this, from the stark contrast of where you'd just been wandering. The room is well decorated and warm; a fire crackles in the hearth, with a four-poster bed nestled comfortably close by. On the other side of the fire, there is a small table with an open bottle of wine and two glasses resting atop.

The room is cozy and simple, a perfectly quaint little hideaway for romantic rendezvous.

"What is this place?" You turn your attention back to the boys.

Aster swallows roughly before speaking, while Bragi refuses to meet your gaze.

"Would you, uh- like a drink?" The prince gestures toward the bottle of wine.

"No, thank you- but you go ahead."

"Ah, yes... actually, I may need one for this." He proceeds to fill one of the glasses nearly to the brim, taking several large gulps before looking at you again.

"Gersemi, I- I'm not exactly sure how to put this, and I'm certainly not quick-witted enough to come up with a plausible lie, so I'm just going to tell you the truth." He clears his throat- a nervous habit of his you've picked up on during your weeks together. "I'd like to start by saying that I have nothing but respect and gratitude for you. In the very short time we've known each other, you have proven to be one of the most intuitive, kind and genuine people I've ever met. I'm afraid- well, I haven't been entirely honest with you." He looks up to meet your eyes only briefly, before fixing his gaze back on to his wineglass. "Bragi and I are lovers. We have been, in secret, for a long time. I intend to marry you simply as a cover in the public eye, with no intention of ceasing my relationship with him. It was wrong of me to even consider hiding this from you until you were trapped in a marriage with me-"

"I understand." You interrupt.

His eyes dart back to you, frantically searching your face in disbelief at your words.

"I'm pregnant." You glance over at Bragi briefly, whose eyes look like they may just pop out of his head, before regarding Aster once again. "It's obviously not yours."

"Oh, thank the Norns- for they have clearly brought us together." He breathes.

"Sorry?" You've clearly misheard him.

"I was starting to think you just hated our wine." He titters at his own remark. "Don't you see? This is perfect- for both of us. We can introduce the child to the world as ours- my heir and we'll never actually have to sleep together." His shoulders visibly relax.

A giggle forces its way out of you before you can stop it from escaping. You can't help it- there's something about the fact that the future king has been dreading the thought of sleeping with you just as much, if not more, than you were with him, that has tickled you. "We're quite the pair." You chuckle.

"Indeed, we are."

You fall silent for several moments in contemplation. The situation certainly could be mutually beneficial for you both. You mindlessly brush your hair out of your face before you begin to speak again, when your fingers trace along the ribbon of fabric braided into your hair. Loki's shirt. Your stomach twists into a knot at the thought of him and how terribly you miss him. "I think it's past time we start being honest with ourselves and the realm."

"Gersemi, please- I know that you must be furious with me, disgusted by my deceit and my actions, but-"

"I am nothing of the sort. If you are deeply in love with someone you wish to spend the rest of your days with, there's no way I could possibly see something wrong with that." You scowl, reaching out to place your hand on the prince's arm as a gesture of comfort, hesitating briefly- you're unsure as to exactly how comfortable the two of you are with each other, yet. "The only thing that's upsetting is that you feel the need to hide it."

His eyes flash to yours with a sudden glint of solace.

You continue, "I had planned to hide this pregnancy from you- quite possibly never revealing the truth. You have just as much of a right to be upset with me."

"Well, you didn't hide it from me, and I'm not upset. Finding out you are, in fact, not perfect comes as a massive relief." He smirks.

You can't help but smile in return; as surreal as this entire situation is, the tension between the two of you is quickly disintegrating. "There's just one more thing." You rake your teeth across your bottom lip in contemplation before continuing. "I think I'm in love with my baby's father. I regret leaving him to come back home and I... I intend to return to him. He deserves to at least know."

"Ah, yes. I understand. If I'd known you were in a relationship, I would've never called on you and asked you to make that kind of sacrifice." He begins to shift uncomfortably in his chair.

"I wasn't exactly in a relationship... things had only just begun between us." You feel your face flush at the confession, before attempting to change the subject. "Why don't you and Bragi marry? I know Vanaheim has never had a king consort before, but perhaps it's time. I'm certain that the queen would want her son to be hap-"

"My mother knows of my preferences." He interrupts. "She's known ever since I was a small boy- possibly before I even realized. She does wish for me to be happy, but as the only heir it is my duty to-"

"Continue the family line." You lament.

"Yes. As you understand all too well."

"What is the point of it all? The titles, the power, the throne... if we cannot be happy?" A lump forms in the back of your throat.

"You would truly make a wonderful queen."

"I'm not so sure about that." You shake your head.

"Gersemi, may I ask how you expect the news that you are with child to be taken by the father, given that the two of you weren't outright committed to one another?" The tips of his ears turn pink at his forwardness.

"I... I suppose I'm not entirely sure." Oh gods. I hadn't even given the prospect that Loki may not want to be a father a thought. Or that he may never forgive me for leaving him so cruelly.

"I don't wish to sound insensitive, but perhaps I could make an excuse as to why you are not around, to help you slip away for a day or two, so you may inform him of the news. If for any reason, he does not respond how you hope, I would gladly still go forward with the wedding, if you were willing."

"It's quite gracious of you to offer me a backup plan."

"To be frank, it is currently my only plan."

"With everything that will be expected of me in the coming days, how could I possibly slip away?"

"I believe I could help." Bragi's voice startles you from the other side of the room- you'd nearly forgotten he was there.

"How?" You take a step closer to him, and he raises his eyes to Aster's as though he's seeking approval from him to continue.

"We can trust her." The prince nods.

Bragi turns his gaze to you, taking a deep breath before he continues. "I have... some abilities." He hesitates. "I can create some illusions, projections- a gift from my mother." His eyes light up at the mention of her. "I could create an illusion of you- make it appear as though you are still here. I wouldn't have the ability to speak as you or interact with things in your place... but perhaps it could help buy us some time. Time for you to return to your lover, and time for Aster and I to discuss our options."

"Why would you help me do this?"

"You know our secret. We trust you to keep ours, as we promise to keep yours. That, and it's the right thing to do." He holds his hand out to you.

You place your hand in his and he turns your palm upward, hovering his other hand over the top of your palm. There is a brief flash of yellow light from between your hand and his, leaving a tingling sensation in its wake. You pull your hand away, startled by the strange feeling, to inspect yourself. The rune ᛇ glows briefly in your palm, before fading completely away.

"What was that?" You gape.

"It will help you find your way back here, if the time comes."

———————

Bragi leads you out of the room and back into the darkness, Aster following closely behind. He holds one of your hands with a gentle, but reassuring grip, using the other hand to cast a warm, yellow light throughout the space.

As you make your way through the passageway, Bragi tells you about his mother, who was a light elf, and the forbidden relationship between her and his father.

"Light elves are masters of magic, most of them able to wield seidr from birth with very little training. My mother was no exception to that, and in her youth, she discovered a passageway just outside of her village that led directly into the palace gardens of Vanaheim. It was a fated encounter, that my father was the one to discover her when she'd unknowingly crossed into our realm." He gently tugs your arm upwards, guiding you over a large, twisted root before he continues. "He quickly fell for her beauty, and over time, she trusted him enough to teach him how to access this gateway between their worlds; together, they built the room that we were just in. It wasn't long before I came along." He smiles, only briefly, before his face shifts into one of profound sadness. "While the Vanir are still quite particular about upholding a specific and strict mold for romantic relationships, this was before the Aesir Vanir War, and expectations were even more conservative then, and brutally enforced."

"Oh gods, Bragi..." The words escape you before you've even realized it- you can't help it. Imagining what sort of horrific punishment his parents possibly endured at the hands of your own people is gutting.

"It wasn't his fault, really." He continues. "The child that followed my father to the gardens that day. When he saw him disappear into nowhere, he told someone. The king called in a mage to investigate, and they eventually discovered what had been going on."

"My grandfather." Aster laments.

"Stop it." Bragi ceases walking to give the prince a stern look. "You were an infant at the time and had absolutely nothing to do with it."

Aster turns to you with tears in his eyes. "His parents were executed for no other reason than the love they shared." He swallows roughly. "Even so, Bragi chose to remain here, serving my wretched family."

"It was my mother's dream that someday, we could love whomever our hearts desired without fear of retribution." He beams. "Sometimes I think it was a spell cast by her, that caused me to fall in love with you." The boys exchange a tenderhearted look.

"I understand why you have kept your relationship a secret." You place your hand on the prince's arm. "But aren't you two worried that you'll be discovered too? Using the same hidden passageway as your parents?" You turn back to Bragi.

"The righteous fools think they destroyed it." Bragi gives you a smug look of victory. "It wasn't always like this; dark, broken and incomplete." His eyes, illuminated by the golden glow, dance around the eerie space. "We are currently inside the roots of Yggdrasil. The urdoor has just been severed- not broken."

"Urdoor?" You muse.

"A passageway between realms, thought to be nothing but a story of legend by most. And it's how you're going to return to your lover undetected."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 8.9K 100
As a half breed Jotun runt, Anya has always been an outcast and treated as if she were beneath everyone else simply for being born. Unwanted in her o...
2K 265 22
A dual pov narrative from both main characters-Loki and Annalise. If you enjoy slow burn, immersive stories, that will make you have all the feels, f...
574K 22.4K 66
The chambers of Loki Odinson have always been off-limits to everyone, including the staff of Asgard Palace---that is until Y/N. ___ After a brief enc...
20.9K 960 21
In the middle of the night, in a brewing storm, someone pounds at your door. When you open it, there are only two questions on your mind: Why is Loki...