The Final Act (A Phantom of t...

By Red_Death96

"Such is the end of the evildoer: the death of a sinner always reflects his life." ~ Mozart's 'Don Giovanni'... More

Preview
Trigger Warning
Chapter One ~ In Which She Runs Away
Chapter Two ~ In Which Inspiration Is Resurfaced
Chapter Three ~ In Which There Is An Angel
Chapter Four ~ In Which They Meet Again
Chapter Five ~ In Which The Tyrant Chases
Chapter Seven ~ In Which Secrets Are Confided
Chapter Eight ~ In Which Love is Damned
Chapter Nine ~ In Which They Rashly Speak
Chapter Ten ~ In Which We Part
Chapter Eleven ~ In Which Things Appear in Place
Chapter Twelve ~ In Which We Grow Complex with Blood
Chapter Thirteen ~ In Which We Confess the Pain We Share

Chapter Six ~ In Which A Butterfly Sings

189 13 5
By Red_Death96

Erik's POV

♦ ♦ ♦

I had spent the entire rest of the afternoon in my hotel room. Alex, at the expense of multiple crewmen and their backs, had provided a small piano which had been carried to my room. I played without thought or emotion. My fingers glidded over the keys without knowledge of what I was playing or to whom I was addressing. It felt wonderful to simply play. In silence. In solitude. Without care to who heard or without interruption of patrons.

A brief pause in my performance occurred when there was a knock at my hotel room door. I thought it was perhaps another tenant who would complain of the noise, but once I opened the door I found Alex standing rather shakily on the other end. His eyes flitted from me to the piano back to me.

"Good afternoon, Master Alex. Can I help you?" I tried to be somewhat cordial to the poor fellow.

"I need your help! It's urgent. Oh I'm a fool!" He cried out, pushing past me and dropping himself down on the edge of the bed. His head fell in his hands and desperate groans rose from his person.

I raised an eyebrow and walked toward him, taking a seat beside him. "Come now. It cannot be that awful. Now, tell me what is on your mind."

"Monsieur Worthington, or most notable patron, is coming to visit L'Aira tomorrow morning. He expects a performance of some kind, any kind, to continue his funding for the opera house. The problem is that I have no money to fund even the tiniest damn thing!" He spoke in heavy, near-sobbing tones before breaking down once more.

An involuntary laugh came from my lips and I covered my mouth quickly in shame. "Pardon me, Alex. But do you not realize why you brought me here?"

He looked up at me as if some revelation had struck him on the back of the head. His teary eyes glistened with new hope. "E-Erik...pardon my nonsense. Forgive me. I-I forgot...." He cut himself off and wiped his eyes quickly. "I am so foolish to have forgotten such a thing. But, could I call upon you at the last moment like this?"

"But of course! That is why I am here, no? Besides, Master Alex, my music is to be heard, not kept a secret. I would rather be hung from a bell tower than have my works lay in dust forever." I tried to cheer the boy slightly.

He smiled softly and stood from the bed before walking toward the piano and looking over my scribbled sheets. "You've been working, I see."

"Messing around more like it." I stood, walking toward the piano as well. "Does the Monsieur have a preference of genre, Alex?"

"Well...I-I have no idea to be honest with you, Erik. All I know is he is a connoisseur of the finer arts of the past. Opera, classical paintings, architecture, etcetera."

I smiled a little and took a seat at the piano. "Name a piece, and I will play it."

Alex just stared at me blankly. "I-I haven't the foggiest where to begin."

I thought a moment. "Well, do you request simply the piano or more than that?"

"Perhaps vocals."

"Fair. Then who will sing? That way I know what I can and cannot play."

Again the boy simply stared at me.

I slouched slightly on the piano bench. "Master Alex, may I ask does your wife sing?"

"Oh but of course! She has a voice like near magic, Erik." His eyes looked off into the distance with a sense of dreamy euphoria.

"Then she will sing the piece." I said firmly, nodding slightly and straightening up a little.

Alex's eyes suddenly filled with fear. "But that would mean she would have to meet you tonight!"

"Yes...." I looked at him strangely.

"It isn't the time yet, Erik." He insisted, beginning to pace.

I sighed heavily. "Master Alex, there will never be a better time than this, I assure you. Besides, you can always craft some fictitious story about my appearance. I could be a simple lounge performer that you heard from the street. You walked in and asked me to play you something and asked to hire me. I told you I'd work for free. There we have your story and my new identity. Fair."

He thought it over a moment. "I suppose that is fair. I suppose."

"Well, I suppose I ought to meet your wife now, that is since we must perform tomorrow morning, yes?"

"Yes, I suppose." Although he was agreeable he seemed doubtful.

I stood up and grabbed my jacket in a symbol of my leaving. "Let us move quickly before your confidence drops."

♦ ♦ ♦

Charlotte, Alexander's wife, was a rather beautiful woman with many striking features. She was a slender thing with alluring auburn curls that fell gently around her face and to her shoulders. There was a small bit of makeup on her face that brought out the stunning green hue of her eyes. In no way was I alluding to the fact that I wish to have her as my own, but certainly Alex had found a near perfect woman. A rarity.

She greeted me cordially, and took the story well and although I am not certain she believed every word she took it as if she did.

I was lead to the stage by Master Alex with Charlotte close behind the two of us. Alex explained to Charlotte that she would sing, and she did not argue. She humbly accepted. It was not until I had seated myself at the piano atop the stage that Alex, guided by the hand of his wife, announced that Monsieur Worthington was his father. To that, I immediately felt a wave of pressure overtake me for a moment. This meant, therefore, that I was playing to please the greatest patron Master Alex could ever seek to please.

"Then, we must not delay in practice." I replied, having found a slight bit of nerve to continue.

Charlotte stepped closer to the piano and took hold of one of the corners delicately. "What shall we be performing?" She turned to Alex who turned to look at me.

I stared back at the two of them and cleared my throat a little. "Perhaps something classical and soft?"

"Sounds lovely." Charlotte smiled softly at me.

"Erik, you play the violin, yes?" Alex asked.

I turned more to face him after showing a soft smile to Charlotte. "Yes, I do."

"Perhaps I have an idea then. You could play the violin to Madame Butterfly. Although I realize it is not a classical piece, it is softer and would fit Charlotte's voice." Alex explained.

I thought it over a moment before looking at Charlotte for some form of approval.

She smiled at the two of us and nodded. "It would be my honor sing anything for your father, my dearest." She cooed to Alex who blushed at her public affection.

"Find me a proper violin and I shall play for you, Master Alex." I stood from the piano and nearly dismissed it.

Alex gave me a nodded and walked briskly off the stage toward the back, leaving Charlotte and myself alone a moment.

I sighed softly and looked around, leaning back on my heels rather absentmindedly.

"It is very kind of you to play without charge, Monsieur." Charlotte spoke up in a rather soft but confident voice.

I turned to look at her, her eyes sparkling as they met my own. A small smile crept across my lips. "It is my honor to play for your husband and for you."

Charlotte's smile grew slightly. She walked a step closer to me and whispered as to allow me to hear what she had to say solely. "Please do not tell my husband I told you this, but the Opera House is in dear need of more funding and more patrons, Monsieur. I have confidence that you can help us, and if you would stay longer and perform more I would be willing to pay you for your troubles."

"Madame, I could not take your money." I shook my head and touched her arm gently.

Her eyes moved from my own to the hand I had rested upon her. It was just a passing gesture and glance, but it was still noticeable. Her cheeks grew ever so slightly pink.

I withdrew my hand. "What I mean, Madame, is that I cannot perform music for money. Not here, not anywhere. I want to play because I can, not because I am being paid. It would defeat any purpose that I have."

Charlotte nodded and folded her hands together. "I do understand, Monsieur. But, if you would stay, if Monsieur Worthington would not be displeased with our performance, I would still pay you for your work. I would not feel right otherwise. Please." She extended one of her delicate hands and brushed one of my own.

Before I could say another word, Alex had returned with the instrument, still in its case and all. "You may use mine. I do not play it often as it is. Please, keep it if you care for it." He handed me the case gingerly, looking up at me with eyes of gratitude.

I smiled gently and took the case, laying it atop the piano and gently, as if it were some ancient treasure, I pulled it from the case. It was a beautiful instrument with rich dark wood and sharp strings. The thing had barely been used, I could already tell. I picked up the bow, its hairs still clean and un-tattered. "Let me see if I remember the piece...it has been a while since I have looked at the more modern era pieces."

I took up the violin and rested it gently under my chin, placing the bow on the strings and getting a feel for its size. I began softly a moment. Shaking my head. "Madame Charlotte, could you perchance sing it for me so I could get a better feel for it?"

She nodded and took a place more on the stage. As any good singer would, she straightened her posture and began softly before becoming louder as I attempted to play along with her.

I slowly caught up with her and played as well as I could to what little I knew and what I could catch by ear. However, I felt my playing nearly unnecessary. Charlotte's voice was refined and the notes that she hit within the song caused my heart to ache for more. It was in that moment, as it was in any moment of moving music, I felt at home and back in Paris. Back in the Opera Populaire. Back where I held a domain of refined beauty and majestic tones.

I did not stop playing, but as Charlotte continued to sing I felt a rush of cold run down my spine and cause my hairs to stand on end. Then I caught myself, simply staring at the singer and my fingers left their position, and I simply let her sing. Her notes were pure and nearly seemed to mean something to her.

She let her voice soar and my mind flashed back to the Opera Populaire. There was a full house. The stage was lighted. Charlotte was on stage in a striking white, satin gown with her auburn locks brought up. She was at center stage. Nothing else was around her. I simply stood aside and played for her, and once her voice hit those striking notes my heart melted and tore. When the orchestra rang loud with her my heart stirred in my chest and skipped its proper beats and my knees grew weak. I was at the music's power.

And then, as soon as she had started, she had stopped. The flow of the melody slowed and all that could be heard was the strings gently, absently floating in the wind behind her. My vision faded, and I was once again at L'Aria.

I took in a ragged breath and lowered the violin. "That was, beautiful, Madame Charlotte." I barely said, my voice shaking.

The both turned to me, Alex and then Charlotte, both smiling.

"Thank you, Monsieur." Charlotte bowed gently to me.

"Your talent is exquisite, Erik. And, Charlotte, my darling, your voice is as beautiful as the morning sunrise." Alexander complemented the two of us.

Charlotte blushed at her husband's gesture.

I smiled at her, and saw her cheeks darken to a beautiful rosy hue.

"You will join us for dinner, Monsieur?" Charlotte asked.

"Yes/No." I heard Alex's voice mash with mine, and for a moment I was unaware of who was agreeing and who was denying the invitation.

Charlotte gave her husband and perturbed look. "Darling. The man has come far out of his way and with no pay, and you wish to let him eat with the dogs on the rainy streets of Valence?"

I could see Alex's jaw tighten. "My love, he is a very busy man and would not have time to just sit down and have dinner."

"I'd love to have dinner with the two of you, Madame." I spoke for myself.

I caught both of their eyes, Charlotte's filled with euphoria and Alex's filled with discontent.

"Then it's settled." Charlotte said, half turning toward Alex in a sense that she desired some approval.

Alex looked at her before turning to me and casting a bitter look my way. He sighed slightly before agreeing. "It is settled."

◘ ◘ ◘ ◘ ◘

Charlotte's POV

♦ ♦ ♦

The three of us sat at the fine oak table in a the small dining room. Although our flat was small, it still had a good amount of space for the few luxury things my husband and I were honored to own. One being the vintage dining table that had been handed down to me from my grandmother.

As we ate, we discussed the employment of L'Aria and Erik's, as I became more familiar with his name, term with us. If it were not enough that the man was musically talented, he seemed to also be a fine businessman. In fact, Erik proposed to us that if the performance for Monsieur Worthington went smoothly and that Worthington's patronage was kept for L'Aria, Erik would, in a sense, buy out the property for La Cabaletta. The only request he had was that he wished to be head of the performances and chief music adviser. My husband did not refuse.

"You are doing a great service for us, Erik." I complemented him.

"Music is my life, as I have stated earlier, Madame. If I can make the world a better place through music, my instinct is to grab at such an opportunity and make it happen." He replied cordially.

Alex leaned back in his chair a little. "Well, if the performance goes well tomorrow morning, I'll show you the grounds we wish to clear afterward, Erik."

"Correction, darling. When the performance goes well tomorrow morning. When."

Erik tried to hide a smirk with his napkin, but I caught him.

"Look at the man, darling. He has confidence in you." I pointed toward Erik.

Alex sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Yes, love. Yes. I know." He was becoming short tempered and flustered.

"Now, Master Alex, look at your wife. She is simply trying to help you. Was not it just the other morning you were telling me all about the wonders of love and its spell? See now, your wife is showing you a different sort of spell that love possesses. Confidence, Alex. Confidence." Erik smiled at Alexander before looking my way and giving me a playful wink. I giggled a little and reached to take Alex's hand in mine.

"My, my...you two have had some plans I have yet to hear about, I do believe."I teased him.

Alexander's cheeks grew red. "Ah, well if we want to divulge secrets and push around the love card, Erik, I believe you have some unsettled feelings to deal with yourself. What was her name-ah!-Ella, yes?"

I looked over at Erik to find him with a half-grimace on his lips. "Nonsense." He nipped, wringing the napkin in his fist.

"Ella is a lovely name." I said softly.

"It is, isn't it, darling?" Alexander turned to look at me and smiled at me in an ornery fashion as he does when he has been up to something ridiculous.

I caught Erik's glance grow dark. "It isn't right that you tease him, Alexander." I corrected slightly, tapping his fingers with my own.

"I'm not teasing him, I'm merely making a point. The way he looks at her, I'd say he's in love." Alexander cooed the word love like it was some sweet chocolate piece.

Erik scoffed. "I'm not in love."

"You are so. I saw your ears get red when that boy insisted that Ella brush your cheek." Alexander countered.

I drew my hand away from his slowly and sank a little in my chair. As I thought about it a moment, I realized more heavily Erik's cheek or rather the whole half side of his face. It was marred greatly, but for some odd reason it did not seem to bother me; nor did I seem to be fixed to stare at it.

"Did she touch you?" I found myself talking out.

The two men turned to look at me rather oddly before Alexander spoke up. "She slapped him."

"On accident." Erik corrected the statement.

"Ah, true true." Alexander nodded.

I smiled softly. "You boys argue like you are brothers. You are certain you just met the other day?"

The two looked at each other as if confirming something before they turned to me again and nodded a solid yes.

I laughed again. "Things like that make me wonder."

Erik leaned back in his chair and sighed softly.

"Erik, if you like this woman, and this is just a woman talking, I think you ought to pursue her as a friend and let what develops develop on its own." I said plainly.

He looked up at me and studied my eyes. I did not shy away from his gaze. His eyes were a curious grey-blue, and the scars of his face seemed to disappear once you looked into his eyes.

Erik looked away before I did, pushing back his chair and standing. "I appreciate your advice, Madame Charlotte. I do. And I appreciated the meal and invitation greatly. I must be on my way, however, because when the performance is a success, I will need to produce a good sum for that land I presume."

"I should have asked this before, but I just now thought of it. How is a lounge performer going to pull a good sum like that from his pocket?" I leaned forward, suddenly curious of this little missing link.

Alexander shot Erik a glance.

Erik smirked a little and pushed in his chair. "Madame Charlotte, I do suppose there are things about you that you have not told me, naturally. Therefore, there are a few things that I have not told you, and where I do my banking is one of them."

"Fair answer, Monsieur." I replied, smiling softly. "I pray you have a pleasant evening."

"Thank you, Madame. See you both in the morning." Erik dismissed himself and disappeared.

I waited for the door to close before I looked at Alexander with knowing eyes. "All right. Tell me the truth...."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425 0 23
About five years after their time-travel mistake to the universe of The Phantom of the Opera, the war that the three girls had been fighting in their...
5.2K 178 15
"David? Pookie? Your name does not belong on this list. But you need to be here if I'm going to tell my story. If I'm going to explain why I did what...
52.9K 1.6K 24
Lilienne LaClaire is a fish out of water, so to say. No matter how hard she tries, she just can't fit in at the Paris Opera. She minds her own busi...
2K 28 3
Like everyone else in the music-loving town of Santa Cecilia, you love music and you're even talented in one thing: singing. Also, you have a very bi...