Keeping Her Afloat (Book 1)

By Chignature_scribbles

Her Past Clumsy but attractive nerd, Dolores Huerta suffers from a stress induced asthma caused by a traumati... More

~¶Author's note¶~
~¶Prologue¶~
~¶One¶~
~¶Two¶~
~¶Three¶~
~¶Four¶~
~¶Five¶~
~¶Six¶~
~¶Seven¶~
~¶Eight¶~
~¶Nine¶~
~¶Ten¶~
~¶Eleven¶~
~¶Twelve¶~
~¶Thirteen¶~
~¶Fourteen¶~
~¶Fifteen¶~
~¶Sixteen¶~
~¶Seventeen¶~
~¶Eighteen¶~
~¶Nineteen¶~
~¶Twenty¶~
~¶Twenty One¶~
~¶Twenty Two¶~
~¶Twenty Three¶~
~¶Twenty Four¶~
~¶Twenty Five¶~
~¶Twenty Six¶~
~¶Twenty Seven¶~
~¶Twenty Eight¶~
~¶Twenty Nine¶~
~¶Thirty¶~
~¶Thirty One¶~
~¶Thirty Two¶~
~¶Thirty Three¶~
~¶Thirty Four¶~
~¶Thirty Five¶~
~¶Thirty Six¶~
~¶Thirty Seven¶~
~¶Thirty Eight¶~
~¶Thirty Nine¶~
~¶Forty¶~
~¶Forty One¶~
~¶Forty Two¶~
~¶Forty Three¶~
~¶Forty Four¶~
~¶Forty Five¶~
~¶Forty Six¶~
~¶Forty Seven¶~
~¶Forty Eight¶~
~¶Forty Nine¶~
~¶Fifty¶~
~¶Fifty One¶~
~¶Fifty Two¶~
~¶Fifty Three¶~
~¶Fifty Four¶~
~¶Fifty Five¶~
~¶Fifty Six¶~
~¶Fifty Seven¶~
~¶Fifty Eight¶~
~¶Fifty Nine¶~
~¶Sixty¶~
~¶Sixty One¶~
~¶Sixty Three¶~
~¶Sixty Four¶~
~¶Sixty Five¶~
~¶Sixty Six¶~
~¶Sixty Seven¶~
~¶Sixty Eight¶~
~¶Sixty Nine¶~
~¶Seventy¶~
~¶Seventy One¶~
~¶Seventy Two¶~
~¶Seventy Three¶~
~¶Seventy Four¶~
~¶Seventy Five¶~
~¶Seventy Six¶~
~¶Seventy Seven¶~
~¶Seventy Eight¶~
~¶Seventy Nine¶~
~¶Epilogue¶~
~~~{JUST IN}~~~

~¶Sixty Two¶~

4 1 0
By Chignature_scribbles

~Worst Yet Lasting Decision~

"You're crying?"

Dolores whipped her head sharply to reproachfully rebuke the intruder only to find Simeon peering at her with a sad longing on his face. She harshly wiped away her tears.

"None of your business. What do you want?" She wasn't in any mood to be friendly with him. All she craved for at the moment was silence and a whole lot of privacy. "Can you please shut my door? I really want to be alone with my thoughts."

"Your thoughts would drown you. Move." He replied, pretending not to have heard her the first time.

She glared at him in annoyance. "Didn't you hear what I said? I asked--"

"I heard what you said but I want to ignore it. Now will you scoot over or will you have me move you myself?" He demanded with a foot tapping the ground in impatience.

Left with no other choice, Dolores crawled from the driver's side into the passenger's where she lowered the car seat. Simeon hopped in after her, discarding his school bag in the back seat as he did so.

"Keys."

She threw it onto his thighs and went back to seal herself against every intrusion into her privacy. If he wanted to drive her home, then he was at liberty provided he wouldn't try to poke his nose in her business.

He slammed the door shut then turned to her. "What happened? And before you speak, I do not want to hear that nothing happened. Nothing won't make you shed tears on the grounds of the school parking lot right under the glare of every student present there."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Dolores!" He snapped, suddenly losing his calm. "I am not like the rest of your friends. If I see something is wrong with someone I'm close to, it'd be best they let me know about it as quietly as possible else whoever put them in that position would be on the receiving end of my baseball bat."

She tossed him a fleeting look of surprise before leaning back into her seat with a long sigh. After a few seconds of silence, she relayed her experience with Nicolas at the parking lot.

"That motherfucking idiot. I wish I could bash his head in over and over." Simeon swore aloud when she was through.

The tears she swallowed in, crept to the surface again while she recalled the void look in Nicolas' eyes as he stared back at her. Like she meant completely nothing to him in the first place. "I'm trying hard not to think he is actually going out with that girl but the evidences are just so glaring. I've been such a fool."

"No, you're not. He is the fool for thinking to play you by doing what he did. Any guy like him doesn't deserve good people like you." His fingers reached out to wipe the tears away from her mascara stained cheek. He lingered for a bit before forcing his hands to break the contact with her wet, cold skin.

"Thank you, Simeon. You're the least person I expected to be friends with. It used to be Adelina but it seems she has more pressing matters at hand now. Namely, Grayson." She stated sarcastically.

Simeon laughed at that, then turned serious. "You are bad at choices when it comes to making friends. How did you end up with Adelina? She barely pays you any attention and deems her boyfriend more important than you are."

She shrugged in reply as she dabbed her face with a tissue paper from the box seated on the dashboard. "She is just in the lust stage of her relationship. I'm sure she'll get it over with and remember that she has me somewhere." Then, she added in a low mumble, "Hopefully."

Simeon stared at her like she was the most beautiful but gullible human he had ever set eyes on. "Despite knowing how many years of friendship you both shared, she weighs her boyfriend with more importance than you? When was she ever a friend? She's always crying to you and despite you having your personal issues, you create time to listen to her rants and act as a doting friend will. Open your eyes to the plain truth, Dolores. You do not have any friends."

She turned sharply to him. "Do not say that. She's been with me before anyone else came along. What about you? You're a friend to me. Besides, I do not blame Adelina for hanging out so much with her boyfriend. She needs to be with other people for a change and not just listen to my perspective on life alone. We'll move to college eventually and life will continue from there. I just hope that before then, she would have gotten past the harmful obsession she has with him."

The words she uttered were the very truth from deep within her soul. She forced herself to believe Adelina would eventually get over the obsession and once more, spend time with her like they both used to before they split apart to different colleges. With how things were going, her hopes were fast dimming and each chance at getting her best friend back looked slimmer than the last.

Simeon leaned back into his seat with his arms behind his head. "Wistful thinking, Dolores. That's all I hear. Now, where was Adelina when you first got that text from Nicolas? Where was she when you got publicly embarassed by the same sonofabitch?"

Dolores remained quiet, feeling at loss for more words to say in Adelina's defense. It was true the girl was changing but it was sad enough that she didn't even see the need to wait until they were states apart before the changes began to take form. The sharp realization added a good one or two inch of tear to her already fractured heart.

She sighed, feeling weary at the turnout of events. It was all too much for her to bear alone. "Can you please take me home? I'm not in the right frame of mind to drive home alone."

He gave her a weird look. "Whoever told you I was going to let you drive home by yourself. Have you seen yourself in the mirror? You look worn out."

She rolled her eyes, stating with sarcasm, "Thanks for the compliment. It's a beautiful thing to say at a time like this."

"You're welcome." He inserted the key in the ignition and the car hummed to life. Just then, an idea formed in his head. "What do you say about us going shopping together later tonight for a prom dress for you and something for me?"

Her eyes widened in bewilderment. "A dress for you too?"

"No. I meant we could find something for me too. Specifically, a tuxedo." He stated with a wide grin splayed on his mouth. Her sense of humor was killing him.

"Oh, boring but okay." She agreed with a small smile.

"Great. I'd drop you off at your house and then come back here to get my car. Mind you, you should rest awhile. At a little bit past five, I'll come pick you up. Cool with you?"

She closed her eyes with her fingers pressed against her temple. "Whatever you decide should be fine. I'm too mentally drained as it is to make any decisions. You also mentioned I was bad at choices too, didn't you?"

"I'm not wrong about it, am I?"

"Whatever, let's just leave this place. I can't wait to leave this shitty school and move on to a different town entirely. It brings memories I'll forever regret making." Her face was morphed in disgust as she looked out the window.

Simeon simply smiled as he set the car into motion. He was hurting because she was hurt and hurt by the wrong person. Deep down, he wanted her but stepped away initially when he noticed her attraction towards Nicolas. If he referred to her as a bad decision maker, then he was the worst of the worst. He should have pressed harder instead of backing out like a coward. She wouldn't have to face this height of embarrassment which she was in pains from.

Dolores on her own part, scrolled through her phone in silence. She found herself going through previous chats with Nicolas, how they were consistent and full of energy until they slowed down to a few chats in a week and finally nothing at all until today. She wanted to turn back the hands of the clock and undo her decision in being with Nicolas.

Indeed, she was the worst at making lasting decisions. However, of all the choices she had made, Simeon being the most unconscious and abrupt of them all, he was the last one standing by her at a time like this.

Her fingers hovered over the delete all button but she decided against it, wanting to wait until tomorrow. That was when she would officially decide her fate and move the fuck on. She lolled her head to the side and helplessly, slipped into a tired slumber.

~~~{•}~~~

There's an explanation for all these delays. I do not want to suddenly spring up on you in surprise out of nowhere.
Besides, what do you think about Simeon's new revelation?
Do we pair him with Dolores or still hope for Nicolores? Or Docolas?
Argh! The ships sound cringe-y!

Leave a vote if this was your best chapter yet
~~Chignature~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 76.1K 60
(Complete) Lilac Green has a secret. A big one. But, that's nothing new. She's used to keeping secrets, and she's used to telling lies. Lilac can l...
342 30 41
Lyric Rivera with her head held high and an air of confidence, she exuded an arrogant aura that drew both admiration and envy from her peers. A visio...
50.2K 2K 60
Girl x Girl / Teacher x Student DISCLAIMER: This book contains drugs, trauma, violence, and both physical/verbal abuse! I will do my best to put disc...
81.5K 7.5K 40
"The laugh cracked loudly into the school's atrium, like a shot of a gun. A quick bullet. A deadly bullet the pierces through flesh and bone. I reali...