Our Bonds (A Kantai Collectio...

By Tamayako

Being an Admiral sounds fun but it is definitely not easy. First there is the war with the mysterious Abyssal... More

Chapter 0: Prologue
Chapter 1: An Almost Typical Day in the District
Chapter 2: Beginning to Feel Weird
Chapter 3: Something Normal
Chapter 4: Nightmares?
Chapter 5: A New Threat
Chapter 6: Great, More Enemies
Chapter 7: Captured by Scary People (Zuihou POV)
Chapter 8: Team Meeting (Enterprise POV)
Chapter 9 Saving CVL Zuihou (Preparations)
Chapter 10: Saving CVL Zuihou
Chapter 11: The Small Dreadnought Battleship
Chapter 12: Something Worth Fighting For (Prinz Eugen POV)
Chapter 13: Self-control and Remembrance
Chapter 14: Another Day's work but with Sirens
Chapter 15: Physical Examination
Chapter 16: Attack on Brunei
Chapter 17: Questions Answered (Sort of)
Chapter 18: An Impromptu Date
Chapter B: A Distant Past
Chapter 19: A Night Activity and A Skewed Reason
Chapter 20: Birthday 06/19
Chapter 21: First Joint Op (AL Commander POV)
Chapter 22: Troubling Mind
Chapter 23: Ironblood SOS
Chapter 24: Truth and Reconciliation
Chapter 25: On the Hill
Chapter 26: Stand Off
Chapter 27: All Paths Lead to Conflict
Chapter 28: Holdout
Chapter 29: Let Sleeping Dogs 'Lie'
Chapter 30: A Typical Beach Episode?
Chapter 31: Questions for Skewers
Chapter 32: Exercise #1
Chapter 33: Exercise #2 (Like taking Candy)
Chapter 34: That's it?
Chapter 35: Finals
Chapter 36: Work... What a Pain...
Chapter 37: A Pointless Argument (Spicy)
Chapter 38: A Long Overdue Discussion
Chapter 39: Friend
Chapter 40: Kill... and Capture
Chapter 41: Decisions Part 1
Chapter 42: Decision... Part 2
Chapter 44: Jealousy
Chapter 45: Operation Pedestal
Chapter 46: Encounter and a Much Needed Upgrade
Chapter 47: Into the Night
Chapter 48: A Moment's Respite
Chapter 49: The Submarine Girl
Chapter 50: Encounter
Chapter 51: Deny
Chapter 52: Victorious
Chapter 53: Alive
Chapter 54: Rant
Chapter 55: Tsuki
Chapter 56: Advice
Chapter 57: A Visit to her Birth Place
Chapter 58: 2nd Attempt
Chapter 59: Honourable Memory
Chapter 60: With Zuihou (Mature Warning R18)
Chapter 61: Chat
Chapter 62: Moving On (My Precious Treasure/Memory)
Chapter 63: Bath time Shenanigans
Chapter 64: Investigation (Part 1)
Chapter 65: Investigation (Part 2)
Chapter 66: The Crane's Favour
Chapter 67: The Crane's Plea
Chapter 68: Storm's End
Chapter 69: The Other Side of Distress
Chapter 70: In Between
Chapter 71: Lucky Ship
Chapter 72: Sister Chain Part 1
Chapter 73: Sister's Chain Part 2
Chapter 74: Crimson Protectors
Chapter 75: A Day of Rest
Chapter 76: Bonding with Zuihou (Mature Warning R18)
Chapter 77: A Short Walk
Chapter 78: Preliminary Planning
Chapter 79: Phone call
Chapter 80: A Regular Day... Right?
Chapter 81: What the Doggy Brought In
Chapter 82: In the midst of an Operation
Chapter 83: Encounter
Chapter 84: Under a Ring of Fire
Chapter 85: Preparations to Continue
Chapter 86: The Sun Priestess
Chapter 87: A Warm Night (Mature Warning R18)
Chapter 88: Liberation of the Central Solomon Sea

Chapter 43: Secret Rendezvous

97 7 3
By Tamayako

"Expedition Force 4 will take on the Northern Sea Route Maritime Escort. We have lost quite a bit of planes from our support run, so prioritize getting as much Fuel and Bauxite as you can carry. Submarines fleet, you have a job today. It's a simple Search-and-Destroy. Head over to the Moray Sea and eliminate the Heavy Cruiser Ne-class kai that has parked there. We don't have any Intel of its exact location so it's up to you girls to find it." (Zuihou)

"That's weird. Why is such a strong enemy type lurking in an already liberated area?" (Imuya)

"Whatever the case, we just have to sink it dechi!" (Goya)

"The enemy is strong so be careful. Don't bother engaging the other fleets in the area unless neccessary. Save your strength for the main target."

"I will snipe it from afar nano! It will be the perfect practice target nano!" (Iku)

Zuihou flipped the final piece of paper on the clipboard,

"That's all. Admiral?" (Zuihou)

"Alright."

I stood up,

"As you all know, we are still in the midst of an Operation. I expect everyone to keep up their training and improving their skills. Especially members of Force Z and the 10th Submarine Fleet. That is all."

Everyone simultaneously stood at attention and saluted. After returning the salute, everyone left the Gathering Hall.

"Now then, I will go for my morning training now." (Zuihou)

"Got it. Do your best."

It has been roughly a week since the two of us became lovers. Honestly, not much has changed since then. She is still acting the same as usual. Maybe a bit more clingy than before but that's about it, I guess. In order not to affect morale, we have decided to keep our relationship a secret from the others. I got to admit, it's somewhat exciting.

Kotobuki has successfully completed his side of the operation and ending our involvement until it's our turn. Right now, the fleet is just stockpiling as much as we can.

As for the Sakura Empire girls, they have decided to return back to their flock. I don't know what they talked about or their plan moving forward, but Shiggy mentioned something about trying to change the course of the war. I can't help but feel I may have accidentally helped the enemy.

"Admiral~ Shall we go?" (Prinz Eugen)

"Yep. Let's go."

I stuffed the clipboard and the reports back into my laptop bag before walking out of the hall. Prinz Eugen is my Secretary Ship today. We haven't really spoken much since that little incident so this is technically our first time interacting with each other in a while. As much as I want to question her actions, if she doesn't bring it up, I won't either.

"What's our agenda for today?" (Prinz Eugen)

"Aside from the usual bunch of paperwork, I was thinking of creating tactics for EO phase 4. Since you will be in it, I want your help with it."

Her face brightened up,

"I will gladly help! How many do we need?" (Prinz Eugen)

"If we base on the intel we have now, maybe three will suffice? Our roles are pretty straightforward but I want to make sure all of you come back."

"Three Abyssal Princesses... That's going to be tough. By the way, why are the submarines needed for the mission?" (Prinz Eugen)

"Erm..."

I can't remember... I know we need them for something. It's a purely supportive role.

We entered the office. I set my bag down and looked for the Intel book. After a bit of searching and flipping through the book,

"Ah. There it is. Shioi's fleet is needed to find and draw out the New Mediterranean Dreadnought Water Princess. From there, Force X will handle the transport run. Force Z is also involved in the search."

"So it's a small role again? They are not going to be happy." (Prinz Eugen)

"Not really. There are multiple areas they need liberate before they can even try to draw the enemy out of it's hiding place. It sounds small but it's a vital role."

"But won't it be more efficient if we use this composition?" (Prinz Eugen)

Prinz Eugen pointed at 'Comp 1', which consists of 1 Submarine Tender, 2 Light Carriers, and 3 Submarines. It also includes a Light Cruiser for a Strike Force.

"That will only work if we have another Light Carrier to spare. Shouhou and Zuihou are already locked in to Force Z. Ryuujou is on standby. And besides, soon we are not going to have a Submarine Tender anymore."

"Why? Is Taigei going to be transferred out to another base?" (Prinz Eugen)

"No. The blueprints to remodel Taigei into a Light Carrier are finally going to be handed to me. I have been asking them for years and only now then I will receive it. I should get it once this operation is over. Maybe I will get Yuubari to deliver it to me since she is coming back."

Right before the Exercise/Tourney, Yuubari and Akashi were called to Yokosuka HQ to help the Engineering Corp develop a new ship-based anti-Abyssal weapon. I rejected it since I need Akashi to maintain the armoury and Yuubari to participate in the Exercise. They were insistent and said even Yuubari was fine since she is good at experimentation and was somewhat an Engineer as well. So I sent Yuubari on the condition they do not overwork her.

As far as I know, the Engineering Corps were trying to restart the cancelled 'Warship Gaia' project. It was essentially a plan to build a battleship that can fight the Abyssals. Obviously, it failed. But now, seeing the success of the defence turrets conceptualized and built by the pair, the human Engineers want to implement a similar system onto a ship. While it sounds cool and will finally let us humans fight the Abyssals together with the Shipgirls, I already know it's going to fail. Even with heavy modifications, there is no way you can just enlarge a 12cm cannon, slap it on a battleship, and expect it to punch a hole in an Abyssals I-class. Though, our Defence Turrets are essentially just oversized 12.7cm guns.

Huh... Maybe it could work if they figure out how to stabilise the recoil...

"That's great. Taigei must be excited." (Prinz Eugen)

"I actually haven't told her yet so lets keep it a secret. 'kay?"

"Ja. I will keep mum about it." (Prinz Eugen)

Prinz Eugen cover her mouth with both hands. This little girl... I poked her cheeks,

"Alright. Lets get to work."

Prinz Eugen and I begin our 'strategic meeting'. We discussed and came up with a number of routes, formations, and what action to take under what circumstance. While doing that, I noticed the same glaring issue that has been happening lately.

I want to see Zuihou. I want to go and see her so badly. I know I'm going to see her later but I miss her already. This feeling has been going on for the past week now.

"How about this? An All-out formation on Point X. The Destroyers and Carriers will simultaneously launch their payload at the two Re-class. The Cruisers will take care of the Wo-class kai and subsequently the others." (Prinz Eugen)

"Good idea, but that will leave you open to attacks from the others. I was thinking the Carriers and Cruisers should focus their attacks on the Re-class. The Destroyers will handle the anti-air and provide cover fire. If you give Seaplane bombers to Suzuya and Kumano, they should be able to soften up the Tsu-class and Ni-class."

"I would prefer if they had fighters instead of bombers. The Re-class is able to use planes. On the off-chance that the carriers are low on planes by the time we arrive at this point, at least Suzuya and Kumano can supplement our AA capabilities. Then the Carriers use a portion of their remaining planes to soften up the Wo-class and Re-class while we sink them with heavy artillery." (Prinz Eugen)

"Hm. That could work. Can I leave the equipment setup to you?"

"Yeah! Leave it to me!" (Prinz Eugen)

"That reminds me, I need to go to the Arsenal to get the updated Equipment list. Akashi upgraded a couple of planes and guns for the operation. I will be right back."

"Eh? Oh. Okay. Come back soon." (Prinz Eugen)

Sorry. Though it's true I need to get the updated equipment list, but I have another goal in mind.

I left the office and walked briskly to the training grounds. The sound of gunfire and explosions became stronger as I got closer. I can propeller planes flying high up in the air, before diving close to the water surface. I hid behind the warehouse storing the dummy rounds we use for training. No. Not the paint-filled one. These ones are equivalent to blank rounds, designed only to simulate the same noise and impact live rounds would make. They are still dangerous though.

I see the wooden cut-out of a Tsu-class exploded as a shell penetrated it. The one who shot it is probably Kawakaze, seeing as there is smoke coming out of her gun barrel.

"Alright. Take a 10 minute break while the Fairies load up the next batch of targets and collect the blanks." (Souryuu)

"Roger!" (All)

Great timing! They are on break. Now, how do I- Oh no.

I quickly dart behind the wall,

"What's wrong?" (Murasame)

"Tama thought I saw something moving over there nya. Must be Tama's imagination nya." (Tama)

"It's that so?" (Murasame)

"Tama's going to take a catnap. Ah, not because I'm a cat-nya." (Tama)

"Yes yes." (Murasame)

That was close. Are they gone?

I peeked out from my hiding spot. Good. They are gone. And I can see Zuihou. She is adjusting her bowstring. It's funny and cute how her bow is almost as tall as her.

Now, how do I get her attention? Hmm? How about these pebbles? I threw one near Zuihou.

"Hm?" (Zuihou)

I threw another one.

"Eh?" (Zuihou)

Looks like it got her attention. I threw another. Alright. She is looking this way. I waved at her. Zuihou just stared, looking displeased. She looked around briefly, before walking towards my hiding spot.

"Admiral! What are you doing here?" (Zuihou)

"I came to see you."

"What if someone sees you?" (Zuihou)

"Don't worry. I made sure I was alone on the way here."

"Geez. Get back to work." (Zuihou)

I grabbed her hand before she can leave,

"Can we just stay like this for a while? Please?"

Zuihou made a weird face, and just sighed,

"Alright. Just for a bit." (Zuihou)

The two of us sat on the ground, side by side. I just wish time would stop.

"How is training?"

"It's normal. We are just doing the usual accuracy and maneuver training." (Zuihou)

"I see."

"You? You're working on some strategies with Prinz Eugen today, right? How is it going?" (Zuihou)

"We are kinda stuck on point X for the last phase. The enemies there are hard."

"Want some help?" (Zuihou)

"Hmm... If I can't figure out anything else, then I will count on you."

"Mmh!" (Zuihou)

"Alright! Everyone, break's over. Let's go for a few more rounds before lunch." (Souryuu)

Eh? Already? That only felt like a few seconds.

Zuihou looks a little disappointed as well.

"That was a bit too fast..." (Zuihou)

"Yeah... I will see you later."

"Mmh. Later." (Zuihou)

"Eh? Oi, Zuihou! Where are ya'?" (Ryuujou)

"Coming!" (Zuihou)

Zuihou left my side as she returned to the group. Looks like I have to get back to work too. I kept Prinz Eugen waiting long enough.

I waited for the sound of propellers and explosions to get loud enough before making my escape.

Ah. I need to stop by Akashi's to get the equipment list.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.9K 465 11
War, War never changes. It's exactly the same. No matter which era it happens upon. This is a story of a girl. A girl with dark times. One who's life...
51.1K 430 6
You are the newest Commander at the Royal Navy. However their are not that many men commanders, and the last commander at the Royal Navy was a man wh...
23K 680 14
A minute left before death awaits... Y/N James Kōri, a Japanese-American Fleet Admiral who is the commander of the 7th Fleet stationed in Japan. He a...
1.7K 41 12
My first Kantai Collection story, will transform into a series! The alien Abyssals knew they had made a grave mistake when they killed the old admira...