Alpha, Beta, Gamma? [bxb]

Oleh photographybook

[Book Two of The Murdag Chronicles] The war between the Wolves and Sprites is raging on around them, but it i... Lebih Banyak

Prologue - Mates
Attack.
Midnight.
Blood.
Smoke.
The Girl Who Cried Wolf.
Bad Awakening.
Alpha.
The Future.
Stüpp.

Winter.

242 13 7
Oleh photographybook

[Luke]

A lot could happen in a month, recent events had only proven that saying. Looking back I didn't understand many things the gods had forced upon us but in that moment as I sat nestled into my mate's warm embrace as the cold harsh Scottish winter raged its war outside, I didn't spare such things a second thought.

-

"Alpha! Alpha! Come quick!" One of the warrior wolves had woken us up that day- one week after the Kilyan's Alpha initiation. The old Alpha's condition had worsened as the days went by and as he got worse, Kilyan's mood seemed to plummet. And all I could do was stand by and watch as my mate mourned the upcoming loss of his father. As soon as the wolf burst through our door- chest heaving and eyes bloodshot- I knew it was over.

"No." Kilyan's voice was raspy and hushed, blocked with unshed tears. I couldn't do anything other than follow him when he stormed out of the room and soon he lay crying by his father's side. He wasn't dead yet, but soon he would be gone. Gone with the countless wolves that had gone before him to roam the endless plains of the dreamlands. I could see the Luna crying to Alpha Andrew's left, watching over her son who was clutching his father's right hand. A painful tug at my heart made me wince and clutch my chest, but I knew that I could never understand their pain. My father was god knew where and he might be dead but I would never know- and looking at the distraught, broken family in front of me, a part of me never wanted him to return- dead or alive.

"Luke..." Kilyan's tear-stained face turned to me and I rushed to his side, wrapping my arms around him in a- what I hoped was a reassuring embrace and I felt a lump in my throat as I commenced to whisper sweet nothings into his ear. I didn't know how he would react; I had half expected him to be angry and trash the whole room but then again he could still do that. So I was watchful as I held him, carefully calculating every move he made, in case I had to restrain him from hurting someone else or even himself.

When I looked up the next time, Alpha Andrew's chest had stopped moving and the Luna and Kilyan let out the most heart-breaking howl. Soon enough I joined in followed by the rest of the pack, as our old Alpha passed to the Wide Plains of Tír na nÓg and left us to Earth and to the unforgiving will of the gods.

-

That same day we'd held the funeral. Gathered just outside our settlement the Alpha's body was settled on a large pile of wood and an Elder had arrived to perform the rites.

"Cerridwen and Bean-Nighe we call on you as the mighty Alpha of the Murdag Pack passes, unknown and unseen into your endless fields of Tír na nÓg." He reached into his satchel and pulled out a bundle of herbs that he threw onto the pyre. 

"We offer you, Andrew Greene, the last honours." He stepped aside and Luna Norah stepped forward. With one last lingering kiss, she placed a small item on the old Alpha's chest and stepped back. Kilyan was the next to stop at his father's body and since he wouldn't let go of my hand, I stood there with him, feeling terribly out of place but just where I was supposed to be at the same time. My eyes lingered on the tubs and pots of food and offerings that would accompany the Alpha in his next life and as Kilyan laid his personal offering on his father's chest, I felt a shiver run down my back like a cold, wet hand and I knew that Bean-Nighe was here to claim her soul. 

So I reached for the ash in one tub quickly and drew the sign of Yggdrasil on the Alpha's forehead for protection before we moved back and let the rest of the pack howl and mourn their fallen Alpha. 

"Cerridwen, lady of the moon, you who runs with us wolves in the good times and the bad- accept these offerings and protect his soul." The Elder sprinkled some sea water on the Alpha's corpse and one of the fires at his feet sprung to life. I felt Kilyan stiffen next to me and I managed to wrap my arms around him, holding him close as I curled into him to give him comfort. I knew he hated to look weak so I made myself appear weaker- for him. 

"Bean-Nighe, washer at the ford, grant him access to Tír na nÓg and guard him from the evil spirits that mean harm. Guide him to the Otherworld." He sprinkled more water and the fire at the Alpha's head hissed as it lit and licked at the wood and in the end- the body. 

Again I could feel the cold sensation that was Bean-Nighe and shuffled closer to Kilyan and his warmth. I knew he was crying; I could feel his body convulsing even though the pack behind him would only be able to see his shoulders shake slightly as his tears streamed down his face. And as I watched the fire claim our strong Alpha, the tears that escaped my eyes were rare pearls that were lost to me and the world as they splashed on the ground. 

"Seinn cliù Andrew." The Elder pronounced and the pack fell into an ancient chant that had my hairs stood in the back of my neck as the words tumbled of my lips in the soft language of our ancestors. (sing Andrew's praises)

"Go n-éirí an bóthar leat 

 Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl 

 Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh 

 Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna 

 Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís, 

 Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú." 

Kilyan was shaking harder now and I knew he would break down soon. Knowing that he would hate himself later if he broke down in front of the pack, I exchanged a quick look with the Luna and she nodded, leaving the place first. I led Kilyan back to the house quickly, sparing one last glance at the burning pyre before the heavy door fell shut. Kilyan made it to our room before the first sob left his lips. That one sound seemed to be the trigger, his knees gave way and he collapsed next to me. 

"Come on, tiger." I lifted him and carried him to the bed, where we remained for the remainder of the night and the following day. The only time Kilyan let me go was to get us some food; not that I was complaining. All I wanted to do was ease his pain. 

-

It had only been two weeks after the funeral when the Sprites attacked again. Kilyan was doing better, Alpha work was keeping him busy. 

I was training with Ed when it happened. 

-

"What's that noise?" She suddenly stopped mid kick and straightened up, listening carefully. 

"It's probably nothing, Eddie- let's just-"

"No. Listen." She was very attentive and I knew she was one of the best scouts we had because of her ability to track mind activity. She closed her eyes for a second and when she opened them again, she whirled around. 

Hunters at the Northern boarder. She shouted through the Pack Link and managed to get ahold of her sword, while throwing me mine. I caught it easily and growled. 

Luke? Where are you? Kilyan contacted me frantically and I laughed.

Northern Boarder. I replied dryly and felt Kilyan's anger and fear for my safety. Don't worry. I'm a big boy, I can handle myself. I joked but he didn't seem to find it very amusing.

I'll be with you in a sec. Don't you dare attack alone- even if you're with Ed. I rolled my eyes at his command but obeyed- he might be my mate but he was also my Alpha. And one did not just disobey the Alpha.

"Luke." I heard his voice but didn't turn around- my eyes fixated on the stretch of wood Eden had too be to watch for three of the hunters. 

"There's 30 of them." Eden filled the arriving warriors in. "They're moving towards us at a steady, slow pace and should be here any minute. I cannot make out their thoughts just yet but as soon as they break through the trees-" She hadn't even finished her sentence when the first hunter appeared to our left. Kilyan howled and we charged at the other ones, that were now steadily appearing in the clearing. 

I tried to make out their faces but they had black paint smeared across their foreheads and cheekbones, running across their noses and there was no difference between that colour and the colour of their hair and clothing. I couldn't even differentiate between males and females. 

So I charged at the first one that came near me- they blocked my first blow and tried to catch me off guard but I twirled and stabbed their side. They fell to the ground in a lifeless heap and I moved on to the next. We were outnumbered by around 5 but I knew that this meant that we had more than enough wolves left in the camp to defend it if this was a trap. 

It didn't seem to be one though, because nothing happened behind us as we continued to fight- since there were no Sprites, 10 of us had shifted and were now ripping the humans to shreds. I could hear their agonised screams but I didn't feel any sympathy for them. They were extremists of the worst kind- against wolves and any 'mythical creature' as they called us and most of them were  homophobes as well. I would obviously be their favourite person in the world- if they even saw me as a person. 

When there were only two hunters left, we managed to contain them and four of our best warriors carried them into the prison cells underneath the Alpha House. 

The cells were not pleasant rooms- to say it mildly. They were dark and wet, with only one little window to let some light in. Moss and fungi had started growing on the walls and probably on the mattress of the rotten wooden bed in the corner. I stood in front of one of the hunters, next to Kilyan and frowned. The hunter's makeup was smudged but he still looked like an ordinary human- I wondered if I had ever crossed his path in town.

Kilyan stared down at one of the hunters with a frown on his face; I just looked at the one in front of me blankly. Now that they weren't moving I could tell the one in front of me was a woman, her bone structure was softer than the other hunter's and her clothing was looser now so that I could detect the curves of her body- although they were faint. All hunters were trained harshly and there was no excess fat anywhere on their bodies; they were pure muscle. 

"I have nothing to say to you." The woman hissed and I jumped slightly, not expecting her to say anything at all. The man in the cell next to her growled at her as if to shut her up. I was confused as to why she was talking too. It's not like Kilyan had said anything which didn't give her a reason to break her silence. I had studied hunters for a good part of my life now and I knew that their strict habits and rules didn't allow them to talk to the enemy under any circumstance. I looked up at Kilyan who remains stoic and stared at her, then he turned to the guard. 

"Her first." And then she was taken out of the cell and brought her to the interrogation room. 

-

Her screams haunted my dreams for a good while and sometimes they still do now, but even then she lied. 

We knew she lied when the other hunter in the cell started laughing manically. He could be heard throughout the whole house and it sent shivers down my back in dreaded anticipation. 

The next thing I knew an inexplicable, unbearable pain ripped through my leg like thousands of tiny, boiling hot needles had pricked me and I fell to the ground where I was. 

"Lukey!" I heard Alanna and Eden cry out as I clutched my chest, hyperventilating. Their faces hovered in front of me but all my mind could focus on was the pain that had now spread up to my hip. My wolf was howling inside of me and when I thought I must be going crazy, I heard a second wolf's howl. Kilyan's- and he was howling in pain. 

In a matter of seconds my wolf and I grew the strength to ignore the pain as we pushed ourselves off the ground. We rushed passed a stunned looking pair of girls and out of the house. I sniffed the air and growled when I smelt Sprites and Hunters but most of all- Kilyan. I waisted no time shifting and sprinted into the direction of the smell; the padding of more sets of paws behind me indicated that Eddie and Al were following as well.

"Well, well- look at the big, bad Alpha now." I suddenly heard a voice sneer. I shifted back and peaked through the bushes in front of me, only to stare in horror as I saw Yan lying on the forest floor groaning, with a cut open thigh. I could feel anger boiling under my skin and pumping through my veins. If Eden and Alanna hadn't chosen that moment to arrive and hold me back, I probably would've done something stupid like run onto the clearing where I'd be seriously outnumbered. 

"Oh my gods." Ed whispered when she saw Kilyan writhing in pain and I couldn't agree more. I wanted to look away, I did, but no matter how hard I tried, my eyes were glued to the scene displayed in front of me as the hunters took their turns to kick Kilyan any place they could reach. 

"Down, boy." Alanna tried to lighten the mood as my wolf threatened to break through but not even she herself laughed or smiled for that matter. 

The white snow was stained red where Kilyan lay and the stark contrast caught my eye. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts of Kilyan's safety that I missed the new person stepping into the clearing. Only when Al nudged me did I look up. Kilyan had now been forced into a kneeling position with a hunter holding his chin and shoulder in a strong hold. Eddie was frozen, staring at the Sprite that had suddenly appeared and from the pain in her eyes, I could guess it had to do with her abduction. 

"It's him." She whimpered and subconsciously rubbed her arm. She had never told anyone what had really happened- I knew it wasn't just a  battle wound but I had never actually seen it. 

"Is he still alive?" Alanna whispered and I nodded. I felt him- my wolf felt the bond but I was finding it hard to stand upright and not groan out in pain. 

Kilyan? I asked through the link but all I got in return was a groan. 

I'm hiding behind a bush. I can see you, please stay awake. I whimpered.

Luke- please run. I love you- just please- his voice was raspy in my mind and I had to fight my tears. 

No. We're getting you out of there. I could sense Kilyan's need to reply and bring me to safety but I didn't care for my own safety- all that mattered was his. 

In the meantime Eddie and Al had checked for more Hunters or Sprites but the only ones there were the ones gathered around Kilyan. 

"So you're not only a wolf-" The Sprite with the glowing hair and eyes spat. "But also a fag." The other laughed. "I never thought I'd see the day where the big Alpha would be mated to a male and couldn't continue his bloodline." I could feel Kilyan's emotions shoot through my mind like daggers. An odd burning sensation filled my gut and I struggled not to throw up.

Bull's eye. That was the reason he didn't want to accept me? His bloodline? I didn't know whether to be angry or sad so I settled for blankly staring at the Sprite and calculating a way out. 

"Naw- did I hurt the little wolf's feelings?" He cooed now. "Good." He spat. " That means I have your full attention. You wolves are bad in itself but now? Now you're hiding the abomination as well! Oh the time has finally come for justice to rule." He cackled awfully and I felt Ed shift uncomfortably next to me. 

"Oh wait I think I'm forgetting something... It's your cousin too isn't it? That- thing is actually related to you." He sneered and leaned closer to Kilyan's face. "Are you not ashamed? Ashamed to call it your cousin?  It is tainting your bloodline already, don't you see? What will her spawn be like one day, hm? Maybe they'll overthrow you because their powers outrank yours by far. Maybe it itself will overthrow you! Imagine that- Big Alpha Kilyan dethroned by a little fairy girl." Kilyan was fighting hard but his wounds were healing too slowly for him to break free. 

In that moment I decided to use what the Hunter had said against them. She had lied about their plans saying that the Hunters and Sprites were mourning one of their High Generals too and they would rest for another week. Obviously no one had died and they had taken Kilyan just to make us doubt our new Alpha. Since it would look weak that he couldn't fight the Hunters taking him. I bristled at the thought and I wanted nothing more than to storm in there and take Kilyan out before anyone else noticed he was gone. 

"What will your pack think now huh, Alpha Kilyan?" He said in a mocking tone. "Abducted by some Hunters." Said Hunters started chuckling evilly as if they didn't understand the back-handed insult the Sprite had just issued. 

"Lukey? I can distract them by making one of the Hunters hit the Sprite." Eden suddenly whispered. "I know it's like the oldest trick in the book but it might work. You and Al just need to be ready to run and get Yan." I looked at Al in question and she nodded fiercely. 

A second later one of the Hunters started moving. It was the one Hunter that stood behind the Sprite so he couldn't see him. I saw the other Hunters follow his actions confused and they all rushed forward as soon as the Hunter lifted his arm to hit the Sprite. They weren't fast enough though- the Hunter managed to land a blow on the Sprites neck and he crumpled on the floor, not unconscious but it was good enough. The Hunter who was holding Kilyan captive had let go of him which resulted Yan o fall forward on his hands, breathing hard. Al and I rushed forward and managed to grab Kilyan by his arms. I didn't care about any further injuries Yan might get, I just needed him as far away from that Sprite as possible. 

"Let's go Eddie." Al shouted and Eddie shifted so I could drag Yan's body on top of her. She growled when one of the Hunters came after us but soon a branch was impaled in his chest. I stared at Ed because she wasn't the type to kill so quickly but in her eyes I saw pure protectiveness over her cousin and Alpha. She set off with Alanna on her back to help Kilyan and I scrambled after them quickly. The Hunters were chasing us and I could almost feel them breathing down my neck.

We managed to outrun them in the end without having to call help. At one point Eden managed to kill another Hunter by sending them tumbling back into the blade of their companion but I chose to ignore her useless killing. My mind occupied by my mate's well-being. 

When we finally burst through the trees, we ran straight to the pack doctor. He didn't ask questions but just went straight to tending to Kilyan's wounds. We waited outside the room, accompanied by Kilyan's screams and occasionally mine as well when his pain became too unbearable for my wolf and I. The Luna joined us half-way through Kilyan's ordeal and I think I spent a while sobbing intoner shoulder as she rubbed my back soothingly while her son's crying sounded around us like our very own inferno. 

-

Kilyan had to stay in that sick bed for a week because his body was so battered. Apparently the Sprite had started burning his insides while talking to him, which would explain my internal pains but being an Alpha had its perks. Doc said that a normal wolf would've been in the sick bed for at least three weeks. I was glad once he was out and wouldn't let him do much physical activity, which Kilyan got very annoyed over. 

-

"Let me at least-"

"No." I cut him off immediately as I was folding his laundry.  Kilyan was sitting on the big bed in the middle of the room while I insisted on doing all his chores. 

"Luke." He growled and I looked up for the first time since this argument had started. He had pushed off the bed and was stalking towards me. I took a little step back, apprehensive of his next movements. 

"You know that my body is completely healed right?" His voice was a low growl and my wolf ducked in submission at his Alpha tone, but I just cocked a brow. 

"Oh? Really now? Then why do you still wince every time you get out of bed? Why do I still have to help getting you dressed? Why do I have to pick stuff up for you? Why do I even have to shower with you all the time?" 

"As if you don't enjoy showering with me-" He drawled and wrapped his arms around my waist. 

"Kilyan." I tried but he kissed the mark on my neck and I moaned. "I'll let you do your chores again once you stop doing the things I just listed- and don't even think about trying to cheat me. I can feel it too you know?" He sighed and I could feel his hot breath against the sensitive skin of my neck. 

"Thats why I don't want you doing all the work." I looked up at him with a questioning tilt of my head. "You feel it too- which means you're kind of hurt too. Doesn't it hurt when you have to do all the stuff I can't?" I don't know why but I felt my eyes water. After him rejecting me and our stumbles at the beginning now he was worried that I was hurting. 

"Kilyan-" My voice broke and Kilyan immediately pulled me closer. 

"Lukey- I don't think this is just trying anymore." And that's all he needed to say before I properly broke down, which I hadn't done since that day Eden came back to us. 

-

And that is how we ended up here. On a cold January day with a snowstorm howling outside but I was warm in my mate's embrace. He still winced sometimes when he got out of bed but I could feel that he was fine now and I was glad. No matter how much I enjoyed pampering him, he was an Alpha and they didn't like having to depend on someone else. 

"Yan?" He hummed in response. "Do you know what the thing on Eddie's forearm is?" I whispered an he stiffened. 

"She hasn't told you?" 

"Why- has she told you?" I snapped and he ran a soothing hand over my hipbone. 

"No- not even mum told me. Eddie hasn't technically told anyone but I know Aunt Stella and Uncle Calum know. It's something in that fairy-language-"

"Siogaidh." I provided and Kilyan chuckled. 

"I knew you'd remember- anyway- she hasn't told anyone. I don't even think Lucian knows..." I shook my head.

"It can't be that bad right? I mean it's just one letter." Kilyan shrugged. 

"Maybe you should ask her next time you see her?" He suggested.

"How would I bring that up though? I mean- it's not like I can just go- Hey Eddie what's up with hat fairy-letter on your arm?" 

"It means abomination." A whisper from the door suddenly sounded. I jumped at least a foot into the air and pushed myself to my feet immediately as Eden entered the room, followed by a stunned looking Lucifer. I looked over at Kilyan who had also jumped to his feet and was now towering next to me. 

"The Sprite who- burnt Yannie- he burnt my arm and etched the Siogaidh letter into my arm." I didn't know how to react so I just stood there frozen. Lucifer had his arm around Eden's shoulders and she seemed to draw strength from that simple gesture. "When we were at Rhian's, she managed to heal the burns with a healing salve but... the letter is webbed with dark, ancient magic that cannot be unmade." I was about to say something when another piercing scream echoed through the quiet house. 

----------------------------------------------------

Phew I'm done and back with 4312 words no less! 

Sorry I haven't updated in so long but life has been like a whirlwind lately so I'm just glad I finished this now ;) haha 

SO did you enjoy finding out why Kilyan was so reluctant to accept Luke? But finally LukYan is proper canon <3 *my babies* 

Hope you enjoyed!

Love, Kxx

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

26.1K 926 27
Valentina thought that by being accepted into a new pack she would get the protection she wished for, but after agreeing to live with the handsome al...
99.8K 2.7K 44
Born an omega into the strongest pack in the forest, Olwen Adams was fated to the Alpha's son and to become the Luna of the Silver Arrow Pack. But he...
14.9K 1.5K 18
a story of forbidden love ~ Excuse me ~ can I go for a ride ? - JJK Anytime baby~ -KTH I don't mean the bike -JJK I don't mean the bike either - KTH...
Unwanted Oleh Malia

Manusia Serigala

13.5M 422K 110
Malia Pierce at the age of nineteen was alone, constantly moving in fear she would be hunted down and found by her tormentors. She is the Alpha's dau...