Descendant of The Red Flower

By StrawberryDragon777

In the heart of a concrete jungle lies a flame. Fire is known to be destructive as well as healing towards na... More

Prologue
An Ember in the City
No Rest For The Young Cubs
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
The Business Deal
Fighting to be Free

Teasing and Trust

47 1 1
By StrawberryDragon777

3rd POV

If anything helped you sleep, it was staying up all night playing monopoly and uno until you drop. Literally.

Phoenix was deeply asleep, surprisingly. After spending practically the entire night playing board games with Webby and the McDuck's, her body had given up on staying awake. This might've been the first night she's ever slept for eleven hours straight. 

Her eyes peeled open slowly as the sun spilled into her bedroom. The entire mansion was peacefully silent as the ambience of twittering birds outside her window. Leaping out of bed, her gaze landed on her suitcase which was neatly resting against the wall beside her door. Regrettably reminding her of the last moments she'd stay in the mansion. 

Phoenix sighed, and decided to get ready for the day. Might as well get this over with and rip it off like a band-aid. She slipped into her outfit from yesterday since she kept it clean after the Trial. It made it easier to pack her clothes and not worry about a completely new outfit for the following day. At least that's the logic she settled on. 

(outfit reference for Phoenix. A patch is for Apex Academy, her school)

As she headed downstairs, she made her way into the living room. Webby was already awake, reading in her journal until she noticed Phoenix. 

"Morning Phoenix. You sleep good?"

"Yeah, I actually did surprisingly."

"Guess who won monopoly last night?"

Phoenix shrugged. "Lemme guess, Scrooge?"

"Nope! Maddie did! Scrooge wanted a rematch but everyone was practically going into hibernation by then. I think it was until 2:00 in the morning."

"Dang. I think I was already asleep by then."

Webby nodded. "Yeah, you fell asleep soooooo deep none of us could wake you up! Louie even used an air-horn but nothing worked."

Weird. Usually Phoenix was a light sleeper. This was a bit out of tune for someone like her. Then again, last night was a long but joyful one. And she was happy to have spent it with them.

"Well, next time get Launchpad to yell in my air or rev up a plane to get me awake."

The two giggled at that. Knowing Launchpad, that loveable oaf could've snapped a sleeping bear awake just by whispering.

As the morning rolled on by, breakfast was served as everyone started trickling out of bed. Louie was the last to wake up and arrive downstairs. Still in his green hoodie with bags under his eyes. Unlike his brother, Huey donned an attentive smile with a nice red collared shirt. Phoenix found it amusing how the triplets all looked similar yet had distinguishing personalities. Mad eit all the more entertaining to have them on adventures. Adventures she was going to miss once she was gone. 

It wasn't long before a black limo pulled up to the mansion. Scar had sent one of his hyena drivers to come pick up Phoenix and take her to her new foster home. Everyone headed outside as Phoenix dragged her suitcase down the steps. She took one more glance at the McDuck Manor before turning away. However, her eyes couldn't seem to rip themselves from the group, who were standing behind her waving goodbye. 

The dark cheetah reigned back tears, desperate to stand her ground. Webby looked up to her, and so did the triplets. She had to put on a strong face for them. So that they would find that same strength whenever they were tackling their own obstacles in life. 

Scrooge was the first to hug her goodbye, embracing her warmly. "I'm gonna miss you, you stubborn feline." 

Phoenix cracked a small smile at him. "Thanks old man. I'll make sure to come visit."

"You better, or I'll drag your tail back to the mansion if I have to."

Webby sprinted over to Phoenix, followed by Baloo and Mrs. Beakley. Each said their own goodbyes and farewells. Hugging and reassuring Phoenix that they'd see each other soon. 

Baloo gave Phoenix the biggest enveloping hug he could muster. He didn't want to see her go. At first he had almost refused to even come outside to watch her drive away, thinking it'd be too painful to bear. But here he was. And he was glad he stayed to wish her well. 

"You're gonna do great things little britches. Never forget that, ok?"

"Thanks Papa Bear. I'm gonna miss you."

The two pulled away from their embrace. Phoenix picked up her suitcase and made her way towards the limo, waving to the entire group. She hopped inside the limo, and the first thing she did was roll down the window before she drove away. 

"Bye guys! I'll visit soon don't worry!!!!"

"Bye Phoenix!"

"We'll miss you!"

"Don't take candy from strangers!!!"

Their voices faded as the limo pulled out of the mansion's driveway and out the gate. Phoenix rolled her window back up and slumped into her seat. Her hands buried in her sports jacket for comfort, but something felt different.....

There was a small object inside in one of her pockets. Pulling it out, she inspected it carefully. It was two small diamond earrings. The same ones Baloo had given her on her 16th birthday. She smiled at the shimmering jewels in her hands, and hooked them onto her ears. Maybe she'd see them again sooner than she had anticipated. 

"You really pissed off the boss after sneaking out with those ducks in DuckBurg ya know." The hyena spat. Phoenix arched her brow at him irritably.  She didn't regret that choice she made. Not in the very slightest.

"Let him be mad. I got to live instead of just surviving for once."

-

The limo eventually made its way into Cape Suzette, avoiding traffic as much as possible. After making a couple of turns (most likely illegal ones) it arrived to a quaint neighborhood in the downtown area of the city. Stopping in front of a nice, white two-story house. 

The driver parked on the side of the road. "Alright, this is where I drop you off."

"Thanks."

Phoenix went to the trunk and grabbed her things. Her vision studied her new home inquisitively. It seemed welcoming, but knowing Scar it might as well be not what it may seem. Whoever he chose to watch over her would not hold her for long. She'd find a way back to DuckBurg and Baloo. Regardless of whatever restraints her boss put on her. 

She walked up to the door and knocked on it. 

"Hello? Anybody home?"

No answer.

She knocked again, but this time she heard someone from the other side. Possibly running down the stairs and making their way to answer the door. 

(Why am I thinking of Cardi B's Ding Dong meme from her song Press? 🤣)

The entity on the other side finally opened the door, making the cheetah's eyes widen to the sixe of saucers. 

No........NO 

"Phoenix wassss it?"

(Must be that whip that I ordered *i'm dying help.😂*)

The wind knocked out of her just by looking at the python. This couldn't be her new guardian. There must've been some mistake! The hyena had the wrong address on his GPS! Something! Anything! Just no.....why this guy? Her own THERAPIST!!!!

"No."

"Excussse me?"

"I'm sorry but, no. You aren't my new guardian. I think my driver made a mistake."

"Unfortunately, he didn't," Kaa folded his arms across his chest with a lethargic exhale. "I'm your new asssssigned guardian."

Phoenix couldn't wrap her head around it. Why him out of all people? And knowing how much trouble he had with her last week, why would he even want to watch over a difficult patient?

"DId you volunteer for Scar out of pity for me?" She cocked her ears at him suspiciously. Curious to see if he'd come up with either a lie in attempt to cover up something, or come out truthfully.

"I sssuppose you could sssay that."

He only got a sarcastic hum from the young cub. She wasn't buying it, of course. But when her eyes met his, her body went into shock. He was actually being serious about his guardianship over her. 

Just....GREAT

"Well, I can't sssstand here all day. Why don't you come in?"

Phoenix took a deep breath, and followed him inside the house. The interior of his home seemed cleaner than she expected. Right up ahead was the living room, and if you made a turn to the left you'd find the kitchen. The stairs reached up to the second floor on her right. Overall the place had a modern sense of style. Not as grand as the mansion, but she wasn't picky when it came down to home decor. Just as long as the water and electricity worked (and the wifi) she was content. 

Kaa led her up the stairs and gestured to where she'd be residing. "Feel free to roam around. Your room is down the hall to your right."

"Thanks," Phoenix nodded and grabbed her suitcase as she headed to her new bedroom. The room itself wasn't too big or small. It had a queen sized bed next to a large window with a few shelves hanging over the head of the bed. A humble drawer and nightstand accompanied the bed with a small walk-in closet on the left side of the room. 

So, this was her new home. Not quite what she had envisioned but it wouldn't be hard to sneak out back to the McDuck's eventually. She could hitch a ride with a taxi, or contact Louie (the ape) to pick her up from practice. She wouldn't need to worry so much about her guardian getting on her back about ditching a few days. To her, Kaa didn't seem like the intimidating, threatening typeof predator like Shere Khan or Scar. Odd, how he was a python out of all things. 

Once she unpacked most of her things she decided to go downstairs and take a good look around the place. Just in case she needed to know where the bathroom was (or a better escape route she could take). 

Phoenix ensured she stepped as lightly as possible when going downstairs. As she descended to the living room, that's when her search began, starting from there and into the kitchen. She didn't touch anything just in case her scent got caught on anything. Her own sense of smell was strong enough, even stronger than Baloo's or Bagheera's. Lord only knows how sensitive Kaa's nose was. That wasn't a risk she was willing to take. 

Speak of the devil......

"Looking for sssomething?"

Phoenix nearly jumped out of her fur. Turning sharply to Kaa who was leaning against the wall, pinning her down with a stare a parent would give a child when their hands were caught in a cookie jar. 

"You said I was free to roam around." Phoenix retorted. 

"Yess, roam not sssneaking about," Kaa watched in amusement as the dark cheetah recollected herself after he had startled her. It's not an uncommon effect he'd have on people, and he was used to it by now, so much so that in some cases it was the only entertainment he'd receive out of his typical daily life. 

But at this moment, he was able to gain a better look at her. She had an athletic yet slender build with tiny black cheetah spots sprinkled on the tip of her tail, legs, and arms. Her face carried mini replicas of those spot patterns on her cheeks, resembling sort of like freckles. Her eyes, however, said more than every other detail. Kaa almost seemed intrigued by their pale golden color, with her pupils slightly slit but still full and rounded. If he looked closer, he could see a very small hidden scar that ran horizontally across her right cheek. Beginning underneath her right eye, and ending at the middle of her cheekbone. It seemed faded. Perhaps a few years old, maybe. 

Phoenix raised a brow at him. "What?"

"Hm?" Kaa snapped out of his thoughts. "Oh, nothing. I wass jusst wondering..."

"Wondering what?"

"No, it'sss not my placce to say."

She noticed him looking at her scar earlier, and decided to let this one slip for now. At least he didn't pry in on everything about her like Scar. She'd give the python that. 

Kaa cleared his throat. "Ssso, ssince you're now living with me, why don't we get formally acquainted?  I understand you were my patient, but I'd like to get to know more about you. Of courssse, no rush. I undersstand if you need ssome time on your own to sssettle down. But, I'm free if you have any quesstions."

"I do have a question, actually," Phoenix said, looking up at him as he towered over her. "Why did Scar choose you?"

"Well...." he couldn't let his guard down. If he messed up on keeping a low profile, that darn tiger would make sure to make his life a living hell! "I was an old friend of Scar's, and he reached out to me since we've  known each other since we were cubs. He needed someone he could trust, I suppose."

"So he trusted a snake. Seems like him."

Kaa rolled his eyes at her snarky comment. "Oh, you mammalsss alwayss going on about with us reptilesss being either black or white. Not all of usss are wicked."

"That old saying is there for a reason. I'm not naive enough to trust every single animal I meet." 

The two glared at one another for a brief moment. It was the first day of Phoenix moving in and they were already beginning to quarrel with one another. Kaa seemed not as sly as she had anticipated, but it could be a facade in order to trick her into underestimating him. Phoenix's tail swished left to right rhythmically, determined to win this staring contest between them both. 

Kaa sighed, and decided to break the ice. He was the adult in the room after all, and couldn't level himself down to a teenage cub. 

"I don't have work today, luckily. But I will be busy filling out paperwork for my patientssss, so do what you will around the house. I only assssk that you don't make a messss, or go out without my permission." 

Phoenix scoffed. "Got it." 

Both animals separated into different parts of the house, spending the rest of the morning and evening on their own. The house was eerily quiet yet calm all at once. 

Phoenix stayed in her new bedroom, decorating the empty walls and spaces with the things she brought. There was no point in trying to leave anyway. Kaa had already caught her before she could even take a full tour of the kitchen area. There was no point on getting on his bad side. At least not at the moment. 

A couple hours had passed until Phoenix had finally finished decorating her room. It was a routine she had done a few times when moving into a new home. If she was gonna stay in a new foster home for a year or two, might as well get comfortable. 

(Reference to her bedroom. Same design for her bedroom in the McDuck mansion and Baloo's home)

The dark cheetah decided to at least check on the guy, out of pure boredom mainly.

She walked down the hallway and descended down the stairs to see where his office was. Oddly enough, she found it empty. The desk was left unattended with papers strewn all over it. Books upon books were stocked up on the shelves against almost every wall. Phoenix entered inside the office on the tips of her claws on her feet. Her curiosity taking over as it moved her forward. 

The books were mostly psychology studies, historical studies, or old novels. Her gaze then landed back on the desk with the messy stack of papers. From what she could tell, they were mostly patient information papers, so she left them alone. The cheetah decided to respect their privacy, knowing Kaa's patient's personal diagnosis' wasn't her place to stick her nose in. 

However, another object caught her attention more than others. As she she turned to leave, a photograph in a small wooden frame stood humbly on one of the bookshelves. Phoenix edged closer to the picture and studied it more closely. It was her Therapist with another snake, and from what Phoenix could tell by the way they linked arms, they were more than friends. The lady snake standing beside Kaa had a glowing, shining emerald skin with floral markings on her backside. The dark cheetah inhaled loudly in shock. 

No way.......

"What are you doing in here?"

Phoenix spun around to meet Kaa's glare from the doorway. She's dead.

 "I-I'm sorry. I was gonna check on you but-"

"Since you couldn't find me, you thought it'd be better to snoop around my persssonal work." Kaa began, slithering up to the dark cheetah beside the bookshelf. She had been looking at his old photograph. Of course she was. If there was anything he knew about cats, it's that they were unbearably inquisitive....and curious. 

He turned his focus back to Phoenix. "Making sssure I wassn't up to anything?" 

"Well, yeah.... but-"

"Why would I be? What did you honestly believe I'd be plotting againssst you?"

Oh, there's a million reasons why. "You're my shrink. How could I not be suspicious that you would consider taking me in? Not only that, but dude...you don't exactly have the best reputation."

Kaa's demeanor instantly switched to something sinister as a smirk curled on his snout. Phoenix's eyes widened, taken aback a bit. 

"I see..." he crept an inch closer to the cheetah who was already backing up against the bookshelf. "You don't trusst me."

Phoenix's breathed wavered slightly. "N-no, I don't. I don't trust many people in my life except Baloo and the McDuck's." 

"Really?" He bent down to the cheetah's level. He was keen to crack her front as Phoenix remained holding her ground. Seconds passed in silence between them until she began to feel uneasy. 

"I-I won't come in here anymore!  I'm sorry!" 

Kaa backed away from her, bursting in laughter. The dark cheetah only stared at him in confusion. 

"What's so funny?"

Kaa tried to catch his breath as his laughter persisted. "You should've seen your face. It was pricelessss!" The python finally calmed down, and patted Phoenix's shoulder reassuringly. "Oh, laugh at yourself a little. I don't bite, I was just teasssing is all."

"Just, teasing?" 

"What did you honestly think I'd do? Eat you just for sssneaking around my office? You honestly believed that for a minute didn't you?"

The cheetah shrugged with a slight nod.  

Kaa sighed. "Well, I don't  blame you. But, you don't need to be so on edge with me. I'm not like Scar." 

Phoenix rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. He did get her pretty good back there. 

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." 

He checked his watch on his wrist. "It's getting late. Are you hungry? Or thirsty or...anything?"

She  didn't even realize how long it had been since she last ate. Her mind had been so occupied on how she would return back to the McDuck's. But she was a bit peckish by now. It wouldn't hurt to have a little something. 

"A bit." 

The two didn't know what to order for dinner, really. In the end they settled on Thai food from the restaurant downtown. Once the food arrived, Phoenix's sense of smell made the food seem all the more enticing. As someone who ran practically every day, her body needed this. It had been too long since she even had takeout. 

Both animals sat at the dining room table and began to dig in without a second thought. Kaa noticed the excited gleam in the cheetah's eyes. 

"Like it?" 

"What?" Phoenix lifted her attention back to the python as she finished her first bite of food. "Oh yeah. Thanks for getting this. I haven't had a meal like this in a long time." 

"A long time?"

"Yeah. Scar would monitor my diet most of the time to ensure I'd be fueled enough to fight each night for his business. The food wasn't bad, but when you have the same thing over and over, it gets kinda boring." 

The snake hummed in understanding. "Ah yesss, I heard you did cage-fighting for Scar. How's that been?"

Phoenix paused at his question. He was either trying to get to know her better, or fish out information. But by the way he looked at her, and the nonchalant tone of his voice, she couldn't tell. Then again, he was her new guardian now, and if anyone were in his position would be asking the same thing. All they could do was play a game of questions and answers. And on top of all that, he was her therapist and could possibly have some good insight. At least, she'd see what he'd have to say.

"It's been fine, I guess. I fight usually after practice at school. I do at least 5 fight rounds everyday, but the last fight is the hardest one," She sipped a bit of her water. "It's a literal fight to the death, and Scar makes the most money off this round out of all others because I'm his undefeated champion." 

Kaa listened intently, a bit shocked at her situation. No wonder she had come to see him a few weeks ago. That kind of stress is excruciating for anyone, even for a cub. What was peculiar was how well Phoenix kept it hidden. He never would've known about her daily obstacles had she not said anything. 

"I'm...I'm sorry. That ssseems.......rough." 

"Nah, don't be. I'm used to it, and besides, helps me get some cash here and there to. But I'll admit, there are some days that I can barely even lift my feet off the ground." 

"That's why Baloo wanted you to see me," Kaa pieces together out loud. "You still ssstruggle to sleep?"

Phoenix thought about last night with the McDuck's. "I slept pretty well last night, considering i played 32 rounds of monopoly with the McDuck's before I left."

Wow. Kaa had heard about that family being competitive and adventurous, but, 32 rounds of a board game? The young cub must've had the time of her life with them. How could he even compete with that? He's not as old or rich as Scrooge, that's for sure. But when was the last time he went on some thrilling adventure, or spent time with someone close to him like that?

That was years ago.....and his home here in Cape Suzette was built on those memories. 

The rest of their time together was spent on Kaa giving Phoenix tips on how to fall asleep faster naturally without the use of medication. The cheetah soaked in the information, mostly because the methods he offered were one's she never tried yet. And at this point, she needed it. She also opened up a bit more to him as well. Discussing her time with the McDuck family and how she met Baloo and King Louie. 

As the hours passed, night began to fall over the city. Phoenix decided to go to bed early for once and try out Kaa's methods to get to sleep faster. 

"I'mma head to bed. If I don't get rest for tomorrow, Scar will have my fur as a carpet if I don't do well in the fights." Phoenix began walking up the stairs as she waved to the python a 'goodnight.'

He nodded understandingly with a chuckle, heading to his own bedroom. 

-

No........no please stop!

That's our daughter! You can't!

Don't take my baby please!

The area was dark, endless void. Phoenix didn't exactly know where she was, but she knew those voices.....

Her hands tried reaching out for someone....anyone who could be in this black hole of a room with her. It was cold. Too cold. The tips of her ears to her tail felt like they were going to freeze off her body. 

She tried running, but her feet couldn't feel a surface underneath them. Panic sprouted in her brain but she kept moving anyway. Moving......moving........

The voices grew louder, repeating their pleas. Phoenix tried to shout out to them but no answer was returned. Her feet suddenly became trapped in place, sinking her body into the abyss of the black world. Phoenix shot out her flames to project herself out of the pitch dark mass that was eating her alive. But it was all fruitless in the end. No one was there but her, and her screams were empty. 

I will be making another chapter following this, so, here's a cliffhanger LOL. Also, I'm trying out RP on my account so if you all would like to do a RP sometime, message me through PM or on my conversations. Hope you all have a great day and always stay creative :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65 4 6
All Summer June wanted was to be a normal girl. All she wanted was the find parents or someone that would accepet her for all her quirks and kinks. H...
27.7K 162 10
Shortly after her adventure with Ginger and the chickens, Kali makes a quick detour stop on the way home to visit her old friends Wallace and Gromit...
18.7K 523 30
lmk!platonic x mlb!Marinette || "๐‘ต๐’†๐’—๐’†๐’“ ๐’‚๐’”๐’Œ ๐’Ž๐’† ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’๐’–๐’• ๐’Ž๐’š ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•, ๐‘ฐ ๐’…๐’๐’'๐’• ๐’๐’Š๐’Œ๐’† ๐’Š๐’• ๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ฐ ๐’…๐’๐’'๐’• ๐’˜๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐’•๐’ ๐’“๐’†๏ฟฝ...
8.3K 99 18
You grew up without your parents who left you as a baby to go find a way to defeat the fire nation but they were killed by the princess of the fire n...