Descendant of The Red Flower

By StrawberryDragon777

In the heart of a concrete jungle lies a flame. Fire is known to be destructive as well as healing towards na... More

Prologue
An Ember in the City
No Rest For The Young Cubs
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
The Business Deal
Teasing and Trust

Fighting to be Free

25 1 2
By StrawberryDragon777

Timeskip: A couple days later. It's still Spring Break.

Phoenix's POV

"GUYS! WATCH OUT!"

Huey shouted as the monster hurled itself at the explorer group. Scrooge, Webby, Phoenix, Louie, and Duey all sprinted towards the exit portal. Over the past couple of days Scrooge had taken us all on a little adventure to an abandoned museum in Cape Suzette. Rumors had it that the place was haunted with the ghosts of history, and a special artifact known as the dragon's eye was kept hidden there. This special jewel held the power to answer any questions one might want to know. Questions about the universe's secrets, untold legends, and anything else one could conjure that humanity never found the answer to. Of course, the triplets all had questions of their own to ask. Mostly involving their long lost mother, and why Scrooge and Donald never talked for years until the triplets moved into the mansion. I wondered about this to, but, at least they had a mom. Whenever I thought about my own parents, it was all....fuzzy. I still remember what Scar had done to them, but I suppress those memories in the darkest corners of my mind. What I didn't realize was how far I pushed those memories down. So much so to the point that I had almost forgotten what they looked like.....why? What was my childhood with them like? Was it a happy one? I.....I just can't seem to remember........

"PHOENIX! A LITTLE HELP HERE!" Scrooge called out from behind. The monster was blocking our only way out towards the exit portal. I lit my clawed hands aflame, and threw my fire into the monster's eyes. Blinding it temporarily. My gaze flicks back to the group. 

"Now you guys!"

Scrooge links arms with Huey, who latches on the the rest of the group. My own hand grabs onto Webby's feathered one after I put out my flames. The monster was eft weakened by my attack, allowing us to head into the portal safely. 

Once we made it to the other side, Maddie was already there waiting for us. She closed up he portal or "rabbit hole" as she liked to call it. Everyone stopped to catch their breath, relieved we all made it in one piece. 

"That was close! Nice aiming there lassie." Scrooge said, straightening his hat and dusting himself off. "You still got the eye?"

"Yep, here." I toss him the jewel. "What exactly are you going to ask it?"

"Nothing much. I'm thinking about just putting it away for safekeeping  as of right now. Why, did you want to ask it something?"

I thought about this for a moment. Of course I had questions. Millions upon millions of questions about my kind, and if there were any others out there like me. Why the spirit of the Phoenix chose me and what purpose did my gift posses? But then again, I knew better than to dabble with dark magic. Something that I had learned both from Scrooge and Mama Odie. 

I shake my head with a smile. "Nah, I think I'm good. The world would be quite bring if everything made sense anyway."

"Huh? I never really thought of that." Huey commented as he tapped his beak thoughtfully. Knowing him, he always wondered about the questions of the universe as well of the wonders of science. So I was surprised to see him agreeing with me on something like this. 

"Well then, I guess that settles that. I'm going to put this away until we find a better use for it. As of right now, help yourselves to some dinner. I'll meet back up with you all shortly." Scrooge tipped his hat and headed to his main office. 

"What's for dinner?" I asked.

"I think Granny is making enchiladas. Uh, you're not vegetarian or vegan or anything, right?" Webby asked. 

"Uh, never! Girl, I need meat. I'm not a carnivore, but I need chicken and fish in my life. Also, who's Granny?"

"It's Mrs. Beakley," Louie explained. "She's Webby's grandma."

"Oh, got it."

Mrs. Beakley had taken sharp notice of my gift once I arrived here. She always gave me the best combat tips whenever I trained, and had taught me a thing or two when cooking in the kitchen. I never really had a grandparent figure in my life, but she sure felt close enough to one for me. 

Speaking of which, she was already setting up the table when we finally entered the dining hall. 

"Ah, children. Glad to see you all made it back from you adventure. Did you all find what you were looking for?"

"Yep! Oh granny it was amazing!" Webby jumped up and down with overflowing energy. "Huey had the best escape plan! And then Scrooge stealthily grabbed the Dragon's eye without setting off a single trap then Phoenix shot a monster in the eye with her fire! AHH YOU SHOULD'VE SEEN IT! IT WAS SOOO COOL!!" 

"In the eye, huh?" She arched a playful brow at me. "Not in the youknowwhere?"

"It's butt wasn't facing me at the time, so that wasn't an option." I said. 

"Would've been cool to see it's bum roasted though," Louie chuckled. "Next time, you're doing it."

I roll my eyes with a smirk. "As long as you don't scream like a little girl then yeah. I'll do it."

"Hey! I do not scream like a girl!"

"You do man. Just own it," Duey patted his shoulder. Louie shook off my little joke with a smirk of his own. 

"Good. I better see some good butt flames then."

"Can we stop talking about butts and roasting? I'm trying to eat here!" Huey bit into his enchilada with a disapproving look. Everyone either quieted down or sniggered. 

I start digging into my own plate. "Let's eat. I think we're all adventured out for the day.

Everyone sat down and enjoyed our dinner. Scrooge and Maddie met with us a few minutes later, and we began sharing our thoughts on the recent escapade we experienced. I threw in a few comments here and there. 

This was something I had missed doing. Gathering and sharing good times with one another. Before I had moved into Cape Suzette, I never would've thought I'd meet the McDuck's. They accepted me into their family a few months ago after a similar adventure in an underground subway station. I never got the stench off my clothes, and I was sure glad I couldn't. Of course, I never wore them again but they served as a memory of when I fought subway gangsters with the triplets, Webby, and Scrooge. The actual legend Scrooge McDuck fought with me! It started out as a fun trip to the DuckBerg's National Park with the triplets until the train got stuck at the subway station filled with dangerous gang leaders. Scrooge helped us all out of there, and had seen what my fire could do. I was afraid of telling him my secret, but just by seeing the expression on his face, I could already tell he's seen far more mysterious things besides my gift. I eventually gained trust with all of them, and began to hang out with them more once Baloo's job became busier for him. 

"How many places have you actually explored?" I asked Scrooge. 

His eyes lit up at my question. "Practically almost everywhere. I lost track of count years ago. Ya' know, old age and all."

"Oh c'mon! You're not that old if you're still adventuring."

"That's kind of you lassie," he took a sip from his glass. "But really, the only place I haven't gotten to explore yet is the multiverse."

"I have!" Maddie chimed with a raised hand, as if she were a toddler in class. "It can get confusing if you don't know your way around. I haven't seen all the universes it has to offer since I mostly just travel to Wonderland and back here."

"You've been to Wonderland?!?!" Webby asked intrigued. 

"Yeah, that's where I was born. I don't visit much as I used to. My dad and I moved to Cape Suzette after the Queen of Hearts began hunting my family down. Her soldiers found out we had helped Alice when she returned back to our world. I think the queen forgotten about us now, considering it's been like...." her voice trailed off as she silently counted her fingers. "seven years I think since we left."

"Man, that's rough," Louie said. 

Maddie waved it off. "Eh, could be worse. I heard things are going much better in my homeland anyway. My dad and I are considering visiting it in the summer once school's over."

A ring from the doorbell made most of us jump. Mrs. Beakley rose from her seat and said she'd handle whoever it was. I looked over to Webby and Maddie, who only shrugged. Who could be here at this hour? We waited for a few moments for Mrs. Beakley to return, but what came next surprised us all. 

Baloo walked into the dining room along with Mrs. Beakley. A slightly worried expression was worn on his face. My heart skipped a beat. Baloo was never worried about anything.....

"Hey little britches."

"Baloo," I got out of my seat and gave him a hug. "What's wrong? Did something happen to the Sea Duck?"

"No no, that's not the reason I'm here."

"Then, what is it?"

Mrs. Beakley sighed. "You both are being called to Trial at the Cape Suzette Supreme Court tomorrow morning." Silent gasps wavered in the room from the McDuck's. My breathe got caught in my throat.

"Baloo...what happened?"

"From as far as I've known kid, I have no idea why they'd call us over. But, word has it Shere Khan is the one who pressed charges. Something about catching me not being a good employee for his business."

I arch my brow. "You didn't do anything wrong, did you? Is there something you're not telling me?" 

"NO! NO! I swear kid! I have no idea what I could've done for him to accuse me of anything!" Baloo's eyes were filled with sincerity and fear. I could tell he wasn't trying to hide anything from me. He was a terrible liar anyway. 

I pat him on the back reassuringly. "I believe you, Papa Bear. We'll see what this Tiger has to say."

"And we'll be there with you to hear it!" Scrooge marched up to us with a confident smile. "I've known that tiger to be quite tricky. If he's trying to make things hard for you two to live in Cape Suzette then he'll have to get through to us as well! After all, you're both a part of the McDuck's now."

"Thank you, Scrooge." I smile at him as he winks in reply. 

Mrs. Beakley hands me a slip of paper. It was the letter informing us about the Trial. "You both are expected to be there at 8:00 am. I sense Shere Khan is up to something, and it might have to do with your fire."

"How can you be sure?"

"A spy's intuition." She said, tapping her head with a finger. "We'll understand things a bit better once tomorrow rolls on by." 

Sherry Khan.....the name seemed familiar but I couldn't put my claw on it. I remember Scar mentioning someone by that name once, but that was a few years back. Whoever this tiger was, he didn't seem like anyone I've ever met before. So how would he know about my gift? Ad why go out of his way to get the law involved? 

With these questions in mind, I was beginning to rethink on using that Dragon's eye. 

-

The next morning was a rough one. Everyone scampered about getting ready for the day. Mrs. Beakley insisted on us all looking presentable, even of that meant getting Louie to not wear his green hoodie for just one day. 

"You honestly don't have anything else to wear?" Huey sighed at his brother. 

"Do you expect me to wear a tie and suit? Geez man! It's not like I'm filthy rich!"

"Dude," I gesture to the large mansion walls surrounding us. Louie groans as he realizes my point. "Just put on some jeans with a nice shirt."

"Fiiiiiinnnnneee." 

Louie huffed as he dragged his feet back to his room to change clothes. I straightened my own attire as I waited for everyone to head on down. I decided to wear some nice jean shorts with a white tank top, paired with a sports jacket from my school. It was casual but not too relaxed. My fur was combed and well put together. As was Maddie's fur and Webby's hair. 

"Hey," Maddie put a gentle hand on my shoulder. "You ok?" 

"Hmm?" I snap out of my head and back to my friend. "Oh yeah. I'm good, don't worry about me." 

"I know this might be a bit nerve racking for you. I was just checking on ya." 

She wasn't wrong since the whole idea of going to court practically kept my fur standing on end all night long. If this was Scar's little tactic to get me back under his care, then this wasn't an issue that should be taken lightly. I can't go back to where I was before I moved here......I just can't........

And I won't 

I sigh heavily. "Imma be honest, this has been a bit overwhelming for me. But I'm just glad I'm not heading into this alone." 

Maddie nods with a comforting smile. "Nope! Whatever happens in there we'll be with ya. If there's anything I know about the McDuck's, I'd that they don't back down. Shere Khan will have to have something pretty convincing if he wants his way with the court." 

"I found a shirt! Finally!!" Louie bellowed as he hopped out of his room in a green collared shirt with blue jeans. Maddie gave him a 'you threw off my groove' stare at him, which only got a sheepish chuckle out of the duckling.

Scrooge followed after, walking in with Mrs. Beakley, Baloo, and Launchpad. 

"Ready kids?"

"We're ready Scrooge," Webby gave him a thumbs up once Duey and Huey came downstairs. Launchpad jingled the airplane keys as he walked up to us. 

"Good. I'll start revving up the SunChaser, and we'll head on out." 

"This guy knows his stuff with flying. And that's coming from me," says Baloo. 

Once we were all boarded on the SunChaser we headed on a 20 minute flight to Cape Suzette. I guess when you're as rich as Scrooge, using a plane to get everywhere rather than a car seemed more practical. Or at least more entertaining than a limo drive. 

What I didn't expect was how ginormous the court building was once we arrived there. It was a towering masterpiece with white marble climbs with an elegant roof to top it all off. The steps leading up the the court made it seem all the more regal. 

Heading inside was probably the most difficult part. It took a good ten minutes just for Scrooge to pull out all our ID's to verify ourselves, along with the paper we got yesterday calling us to court. Finally once we made it to the main court room, we were assigned seats. Baloo and I were seated at the front while the McDuck's and Maddie sat a couple rows behind us. My tail twitched and swayed nervously. I stepped on it lightly to get it to stop. 

Shere Khan wasn't hard to spot out of everyone. His bright orange fur gave him away too easily as he sat a little ways away from Baloo and I. Beside him was Scar. Of course.....why am I not surprised? 

My eyes scattered across the room, drinking in all who was here to witness the trial. There were a couple of dog and cat lawyers, some hyenas from Scar's business, and a few smaller animals here and there. Then, I caught sight of someone I never thought I'd think to even come here.

My therapist.

He was seated not too far from Scar and Shere Khan. Was he working with them? Whatever. That's not the most surprising thing here. And if he was working with Scar or Shere Khan, why did Baloo even trust him enough for me to go visit him a few weeks ago? 

His scaled face held some sort of calmness, yet had a twinge of worry in his eyes. That part of him shone through when the tiger landed his gaze on him. The python shifted his tail whenever their eyes met. I could tell they knew one another, and possibly had some bad history between them. 

The judge was a dog women with small glasses who sat in the highest level of the entire room. She beat her gravel down hard to draw everyone's attention. 

"If I could have all of your attention, the trial will now commence!"

Everyone settled down and the room immediately went silent. The judge drew her attention towards Baloo. 

"Baloo, you are called to Trial on part of Shere Khan's complaints of your actions. You have been accused for faulty business and tax fraud."

TAX FRAUD?!?! Baloo never told me about him being behind in his taxes! What the actual heck?! 

"Now hold on just right there. I've paid my taxes on time this year." Baloo protested. "Why am I held guilty for this?" 

"You failed to pay your taxes on time last year. And the year before that. And the one before that." Shere Khan mused almost too casually. His piercing stare fell on the sloth bear, which could mean anything but good.

"Mr. Khan, do you have evidence of this?"

"Yes, your honor. Allow me to present to you the tax files." He lifted out a stack of documents that landed with a crashing thud on the wooden table before him. 

The pile itself alone said more than what needed to be spoken. The Judge was handed a few to inspect more thoroughly, letting out a few hums as she flipped through the stack. I looked at Baloo who only mouthed a sorry to me. My ears bent down in worry, and I gave him a slight nod. 

I forgave him. But I just couldn't understand why he'd pile up something like this just for it to come biting back at him. He was lazy, but he wasn't stupid by any means. 

"Well, this definitely shows it. Mr. Baloo, how do you plead?"

He exhaled loudly. "I admit your honor that this is my wrongdoing. I have no excuse." 

"Wait!" Scrooge shot out of his seat. "What can be done for him, your honor? Surely I can help pay for his money." 

"He must repay what he owes the bank. There will be consequences even if you do pay it for him." 

"Oh thank you Scrooge! You're a lifesaver!" Baloo's worried face melted within a second at his friend's aid. Scrooge waved it off with a gentle smile, but then he turned back towards the judge.

"What is the punishment your honor? I'm paying for his expenses so you can't take his property." 

The judge nodded. "That is true. However, he is stripped away from his guardianship over that foster cub. If he cannot be responsible enough to pay his taxes, then how can we trust him to care for a minor?"

I couldn't breathe. My eyes darted from Scrooge, then Baloo, then back to Scar. Soon enough it was all piecing itself together in my head. Scar was trying to gain more control over me, and was working with that tiger to do it! That's why we were called to court! That son of a pig! 

I threw my fists on the table. Startling everyone in the room. 

"You can't do that! You set us up!" 

"How preposterous! Why would we do such a thing?" Scar said as innocently as he could. "I cat have someone like Baloo to look after you. Besides, you were far more well protected under my care anyways."

"I thought you said you couldn't look after me once business starting booming here in Cape Suzette." 

"True, but I'll ensure you're under someone else's care of my choosing." 

My mind couldn't wrap around this enough in time. I've fought so hard to just have a normal teenage life here, just for it all to be thrown away. I didn't want to give it up. Not for the world. 

But here I was, powerless under the law. Everyone seemed to see Baloo as guilty and there was nothing I could say or do that could convince the court to remove the punishment off my friend. 

The Judge beat down her gravel, and settled the trial. It was officially over, and Scar had won the case. 

The McDuck's rose from their seats to meet up with me once everyone left the room. Webby was the first to rush up to me, squeezing me hard. 

"Does this mean we won't see you anymore?" 

"Definitely not," I say, patting her head. "I've escaped Scar's clutches multiple times. This is no different." 

"Lassie, it might be," Scrooge walked up to me with a concerned gaze. "He knows the law well, and so does Shere Khan. That's one area you can't escape from." 

He wasn't wrong. If I try anything daring, they'd might as well find another dirty secret hidden to wave at the law. I had to come up with something else....and that would take some time.

"I'll figure something out. I promise."

"We will be doing the same on our end too," Mrs. Beakley said. 

Baloo rubbed his tired face. His eyes were focused on me, and I could tell he was far from happy about the situation. We had both gotten really close to one another since I was put under his care. Truth be told, he wasn't as lazy or sluggish as many assumed he was when it came to caring for others. If there was one thing he taught me, it was to embrace the unknown. Even if things seem bleak or too difficult to face head-on. 

"Kid, I'm sorry."

"It's ok," I hug him tightly, throwing my arms around his wide, fuzzy waist. "You're not a criminal, that's for sure."

"Yeah, I guess you have a point there."

Scar and Shere Khan glided over to our small group. An unnerving glare from the dark lion peirced at both Baloo and I. 

"Well then, now that you are being relocated I suggest you pack your things," Scar said. "You'll be leaving tomorrow to your new assigned home and caretaker."

My ears swivel in confusion. "Tomorrow? Why so soon?"

"You will back on track with our cage matches next week. However, I am now in alliance with Shere Khan Industries. You are to report there after school tomorrow for whatever job Mr. Khan has for you. Your work for me and Khan starts immediately."

"You might as well work her to death!" Scrooge scowled at the large cats. "Hasn't she done enough already to fill your pockets?"

"We get to be the judge of that. She works for us. Not you."

"I never really agreed to work for you guys." I argued. 

"No, but we own you as a part of our businesses. The law covers it, and you have already been documented in the system as my great niece. Well....adopted niece that is." Scar said with a false endearing tone of voice. 

"Well, as your adopted niece can I at least visit my friends? At least every so often?"

"I'll consider it, but it's not official. Now, head along back to wherever you're staying currently and get packing. I hate it when people are unprepared."

Begrudgingly, I comply to his demands. I look back at Baloo and the group behind me. No one shares any words when we hopped back on the Sun Chaser. The ride back to the mansion was a long and silent one. The tension was so thick, it could've been cut with a knife. Or a claw in this case. 

When arriving at the mansion, I went straight to packing my belongings. Maddie and Webby helped me gather my stuff as we traversed almost every room for anything that belonged to me. I almost couldn't believe it, and I didn't want to. My mind was silently praying that this was just all a bad dream. I was leaving a place I could finally call home, and the people I deemed as family. There was no coming back anytime soon. 

There were so many places I haven't even explored with the MsDuck's yet! And all of it was ending in just a matter of days. My eyes held back a few tears from spilling out. Freedom and choice was not an option for me. As much as I fought for it, it was never attainable. 

"Hey, I'll still see you at school," Maddie tossed me my sweater to pack inside my suitcase. "And besides, you got one more night here at the mansion. Why not make it memorable?"

"Like a slumber party?!" Webby gasped. "OH! I know all the games we can do! And we can-"

"Thanks guys, really. I'd love to do all of that but....I just.....give me a few moments to myself for a bit. Then I'll come out to join you all. I just have a lot to process right now."

Webby's smile faded slightly. "Oh, ok. Take your time Phoenix. We'll be in the game room if you need us."

"Thanks Webs."

Maddie and Webby left with the sound of my bedroom door closing behind them. Once they were well enough away from my room, I slipped out my katana. The sword flashed happy and exciting memories with the adventures I've had, and I didn't want to ever forget that feeling. At the same time, it felt as though I might never use it again. Unsheathing the blade from its case, I saw my appearance reflected in the smooth metal. My claw ran down the edge of the sword as my mind raced on how to get out of this mess. 

Nothing came to mind.....and that scared me. Usually I always thought of something but tonight proved otherwise. No...No I had to figure out something! Anything! I want to live my own life! Have my own home that I actually want to come back to! To have a real family! I can't throw it all away.....

My grip on the sword handle tightened in frustration. C'mon think! You can get out of this!

Nothing........

Ten minutes pass

Nothing....

Twenty minutes......

Still nothing.

My body grew tired as the minutes dragged on. Mentally and physically, I was worn down. I wanted to give up, but something kept pushing me forward. Something inside my soul. And it was tired to, tired of fighting to be free. 

This was a long one, but here it is! Yay....i'm actually ready to go to bed now.

I will try to get the next chapter out as soon as I can. It might not be as long though. Have a great rest of your guys' day/night and I'll keep you posted for the next chapter! Also, let me all know what you guys think of the song. I thought it fit the overall feel for this chapter.

Phoenix: Bro, I'm ready to go to bed to.

Scrooge: GAME NIGHT!!

Phoenix:..........on second thought. 

Webby: Get some coffee in ya! We got fifty board games to tackle before you leave! 

Louie: FIFTY?! WEBS ARE YOU TRYING TO END US?

Webby: No, just your last brain cells for the day. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 215 21
From king to captive fairy King keigo seeks to find peace between the magical and mortal creatures that dwell in the forest. Only to find himself cap...
45.5K 1.3K 45
They said every 5000 years, the Phoenix rises from the ashes and starts a new life. Cathy Loirei, a girl who likes photography suddenly takes a phot...
15.4K 618 73
After the fireworks incident something strange happens when Po hits the ground. Somehow, his mentality is affected, appearing to be someone else. How...
27.7K 162 10
Shortly after her adventure with Ginger and the chickens, Kali makes a quick detour stop on the way home to visit her old friends Wallace and Gromit...