this is me trying

By sydsofia13

Sometimes to feel comfortable, one must experience a little discomfort and for Eva Valtersen, that was exactl... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Keeping Control
Chapter 2 - Consciousness
Chapter 3 - Earth to Eva
Chapter 4 - It's a Me Problem
Chapter 5 - Destiny and Fate
Chapter 6 - Keeping her Alive
Chapter 7 - Magnets
Chapter 8 - Hero
Chapter 9 - Fighting
Chapter 10 - A Decade Gone
Chapter 11 - Not Really Strangers
Chapter 12 - February Slipped Away
Chapter 13 - Unlucky
Chapter 14 - An April Birthday
Chapter 15 - Travels
Chapter 16 - Hurter and Healer
Chapter 17 - The Brain
Chapter 18 - Obsessive Compulsions
Chapter 19 - Never Say Never
Chapter 20 - Forever
Chapter 21 - Year Three
Chapter 23 - Ona
Chapter 24 - Time
Chapter 25 - Control
Chapter 26 - Luck
Chapter 27 - Miss You Already
Chapter 28 - Wanting to Survive
Chapter 29 - Gambles
Chapter 30 - Homes
Chapter 31 - Losses and Defeats
Chapter 32 - Ruining Everything
Chapter 33 - You're On Your Own, Kid
Chapter 34 - Ona, Part 2
Chapter 35 - Laces that Connect
Chapter 36 - Inevitable
Chapter 37 - Just Come Home
Epilogue
Epilogue Part Two
A Note From Me To You

Chapter 22 - 'Growth'

3.7K 110 53
By sydsofia13

We spent a few more days in Trondheim together, before it was time to head back to Manchester to continue on with the season.

The day after New Year's, I was tagged in a funny post, which I grabbed Ona's attention for.

"Hey, Babe," I called out to Ona, as she was in the bathroom, brushing her teeth the morning of the 2nd.

"Yeah?"

"Listen to this," I soon said, "we were voted, by people, as the most consistent couple of 2022."

"Huh?" Ona replied.

"I was tagged on this post thing," I soon said, "and it was like the 2022 awards. It's so dumb, but we were the most consistent!"

"The most consistent couple?" Ona questioned.

"Yeah!"

"What were the other awards?" she asked.

"Most surprising, longest lasting, most awkward, cutest..."

"We didn't get the cutest?" Ona exclaimed.

"Unfortunately not."

"Read me out the awards," Ona asked.

"Ok. Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema were voted as most surprising."

"That makes sense," Ona replied

"Longest lasting was Ruesha and Katie McCabe."

"Right..."

"Most PDA was Kristie Mewis and Sam Kerr."

"Again, that makes sense."

"Most active on social media was..." I started to say, before cutting myself off.

"Who?"

"Mila and... am I really so offline that I didn't even know they were together?"

"You don't go on too much," Ona replied, and I shrugged, knowing she was right.

"We got the most consistent... Caitlin Foord and Lia Walti got the: 'are we even sure they are together?' award." Ona chuckled with this one. "Mapi and Ingrid got the: 'how do we think they communicate' award."

"That's so funny."

"Oh wow..." I soon said, looking at who everyone voted as the cutest couple.

"What?"

"Cutest couple... well that's gone to them," I said, turning the phone around to show Ona.

"They are pretty adorable," Ona confirmed.

"Yeah, they are," I said, looking at the photo. "They really are." Ona finally came out of the bathroom, before gripping my face with her two hands.

"But," she soon said, "in my head, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, you and me... we're the cutest."

"That's so egotistical," I laughed.

"I don't care," Ona replied. "I love you."

"And I love you too," I replied. "But also, you have to admit, they are right."

"Who?"

"The people who voted on this. We are definitely the most consistent." Ona smiled at me, before kissing me. "Your breath smells like peppermint."

"Better than your morning breath," Ona retorted. I sighed at her, before pushing her off me, to go brush my teeth.

We left Trondheim a few days later, flying back to Manchester. I posted a few photos while we were up in the air.

Eva.valtersen22: winters with you @ona.batlle

Ona.batlle: never try teach me hockey again thanks

Ona.batlle: but it was incredible <3

Ingrid_engen: omg im in love... take me back to trondheim thanks

Ona also posted a few photos on her instagram too.

Ona.batlle: Elske and Eva, my two favourites

Eva.valtersen22: Elske >>

Eva.valtersen22: just kidding, i guess you're alright too hehe

Ellatoone: looks like a dream

Alessiarusso99: can you bring the doggy back with u?

millturner_: are those cigarettes?? who r uuuuuuu

ona.batlle: @millturner_ a spaniard :)

The season started up again on the 16th, and we had a few games in January, before our two big challenges: Arsenal in the League Cup final, and then a few days later, in the League. We knew both of those games were going to be important. We wanted to get to the semi final of the League Cup. We wanted to lift a trophy, and we knew now would be the easiest and best time to do so.

It was soon February, and we were travelling down to London to compete in the first of the two games against Arsenal. I sat beside Hayley on the bus, as she explained her incredible trip back home for Christmas.

"Saw my brothers," Hayley said, smiling, "and one of them even came back with me."

"Lachlan?" I asked.

"Yeah, Lachie."

"So exciting, Hales."

"Is he coming down?" Alanna asked.

"Yep," she responded.

"Well, we better put on a show then," I exclaimed.

"We better win," Mary added.

We soon arrived at Meadow Park, and I watched as all the Arsenal girls were warming up. I didn't want to pry, but I felt so entranced by them. By all of them. I often wondered what it would be like to be one of them: to play for Arsenal, to live in London, and be in red. Although, that wasn't something I could think about, and I knew that. I was a City player, there to do a job.

We started with an interesting line up, with Lauren, Bunny and Chloe up the top, Yui, myself and Laura in the midfield, and Laia, Alex, Alanna, and Leila in the back, with Sandy in goals. Although our line up looked good on paper, I wasn't sure. I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

For Arsenal, on the other hand, had Sabrina in goals, with Leah Williamson, Lotte Wubben-Moy, and Rafaelle Souza in the backline, with Laura Wienrother and Katie McCabe playing as higher wingers. Frida, Victoria Pelova and Tippah Jones were in the midfield, and Caitlin Foord and Kathrine Møller Kühl were up the top.

Before the match started I went over to Frida, talking to my National team friend.

"Hey are you?" I asked her.

"Yeah, yeah, good."

"Where'd you go for Christmas?" I asked her.

"Home," she smiled. "You?"

"Same," I replied.

"Coffee afterwards?" Frida asked.

"Depends," I replied.

"On what?"

"If we win or not," I laughed.

"Haha," Frida said, sarcastically, "you're so funny!"

"I know." I smiled a cheeky grin.

"But really, I-" Frida started to say, before her teammate came over.

"We got to go," Tippah said, before looking at me. "You're Eva, right?"

"Yeah..." I replied, not knowing if she remembered what happened about a year earlier. Not sure if she remembered that she was the one that accidentally tripped me over, causing me to be out for four months.

"I- I followed your recovery," Tippah soon said.

'You did?" I questioned.

"I wanted to make sure it all went semi okay," she replied, her Australian accent very strong against my Norwegian one.

"Yeah, it all went okay," I replied, smiling at her.

"Good, good," she answered, before turning back to Frida. "We really have to run."

"I see you after?" Frida asked.

"Of course," I replied. Tippah and Frida walked out to the tunnel, to head to their locker room, to start preparing for the game. If we won this, we would go to the League Cup final, against, most likely, Chelsea. We wanted that. We really, really wanted that.

The game started, and neither team was creating anything. Lauren was running up a storm on the wing, but the Arsenal defence were holding strong. On the opposite end, our defence was containing nicely the workings of Foord and Frida, letting Tippah have a little too much freedom than I would've wanted.

In the 34th minute, I slid in for a tackle against Frida, getting the ball, and passing it off. Once it was closer to our attackers, I leant down to give my friend a hand. She looked at me, confused as to why I would give her a hand.

"It's called growth," I said, laughing. "Just take the hand." Frida smiled at me, before grabbing the hand, letting me help her up. I gave her a pat on the back, before running off to continue playing.

It was 0-0 going into the second half, and although we had our fair share of chances, nothing happened. Nothing eventuated.

It was time for extra time.

I knew that if it went to penalties, I would have to take one. I was one of the five designated takers. I didn't want to take one, but I knew I could do it. I wouldn't freak. I would be calm. I take penalties, when I need to, so I knew I had to prepare myself. Prepare myself for anything.

But it didn't go to penalties.

After we nearly scored, Arsenal scored instead. They broke the deadlock, and after the extra time was finished, we had lost. Arsenal were going to the final, and we were going home. I was frustrated, knowing that we could've scored as we had so many opportunities. But I knew I had to remember that it was only a game.

I smiled at Frida after the match, proud of her, but annoyed at myself.

"Are we still on for a coffee?" Frida asked.

"Listen, I would, but we are actually heading straight back to Manchester."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I thought we were having a night, but apparently not."

"Oh."

"I'll see you in a few days though? I can take you to my favourite spot in Manchester."

"You promise?" Frida laughed.

"Promise," I responded.

note:

- hey friends, whats up?

- who do u think would've get any other awards? i couldn't think of anymore but you guys let me know.

- also, im really vibing with the instagram stuff just cause it lets me go on pinterest a lot which is always a bonus.

- anyways, new story will be announced shortly as i will be pausing this one soon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 2.3K 30
Aleid van Alstine has been representing the Netherlands since she was seventeen, kickstarting her career at nearby club FC Twente, before moving to G...
3.4K 108 32
The leaders have fallen. The dead has risen. The survivors take over. No one understands what its like to loose someone unless you've been through i...
76K 5.7K 44
"I'm assuming that little speech was meant for me?" "It was meant for everyone." "But mostly me. Is it because I called her selfish earlier? Are you...
Spotlight By LandosGirl

General Fiction

21.6K 544 28
To make it to formula one you have to be prepared to make sacrifices- to be successful you actually have to make them. There was no line she would no...