Chronicles of Camelot

By Irish_Wolves

by: DZ2 Published with permission It started with a kiss: a new Harry emerges and a seemingly impossible dest... More

The oncoming storm
No matter what
The winds of change
Summer days and Knights
Honour, loyalty, truth and unity
Survival of the fittest
The longest day
Swords and Surprises
The Prisoner of Azkaban
Darkness and Light
The power of a name
Heroes wings
Padfoots return
Eye of the Hurricane
Only Human
White knight, black christmas
The storm and the sword
New year, old problems
Black unicorn
A stormy end
Book 2: The Lords of nature
Show me the light
A knight becomes a king
Hail King of Camelot
Wind beneath my wings
Flowers and forebodings
Crossroads of Destiny
First day dilemmas
Defense, dragons and dead men
Seven swords and surprises
Artemis' Gift
Return of the King
The first task
The Yule Ball
The inevitable event
The final showdown
Alternate ending

United we stand

1.7K 77 4
By Irish_Wolves

It took Harry and Hermione two days to fully recover from the after-effects of their ritual and, in that time, the Holy Knight of Thunder began to sense his own energy growing stronger, as well as noticing the elements around them reacting to his emotions, the most popular of reactions being flickering flames, slowly increasing winds or an ominous rumble of thunder.

Hermione, on the other hand, not only used the two days to research the elemental powers of water, but also began to explore her more passive abilities: as she discovered, she really could breathe underwater and even use the bottom of their villa pool to meditate or concentrate: it was almost like, whenever she was in the water, Hermione's senses and magical focus became a lot more pin-pointed and she could concentrate on her tasks with greater ease.

At the end of the second day, Harry asked for the Order to come into the main lounge of their villa, Hermione at his side, Dan and Emma seated with the warriors as he addressed them. "First off, I would like to thank you for handling my affairs during the Restoration Period; from what Dan and Emma tell me, you handled yourselves well."

"We will always strive to deliver 110% in everything we do to serve you Harry," Sebastian told him, his eyes slightly darkened by the revelations made during his Lord's rest period.

"Accepted," Harry nodded, before he linked his arm with Hermione and continued, "Second, I want you all to know that the ritual was indeed a complete success and, within the next few weeks, both Hermione and I will be looking into ways to use our newfound bond to our advantage. When we return to Hogwarts, the two of us will continue these private studies with my focus being more on the elemental side of me and not the side that is the Holy Knight of Thunder."

"Am I correct in assuming a bond has formed between you and Hermione?" asked Tyler, looking to his lord with a renewed sense of respect.

"You are," Hermione took over, "Harry and I can now speak within each other's minds and, as long as we are together, then we are protected by the other's magic. Although I am merely an Anointed to Harry's rank of Pure Holy Knight, our powers almost even each other out and our bond has never been stronger."

"So what is it that you wish of us?" asked Elora, watching as Harry moved to a chair where Padfoot was sat on his haunches, the shaggy dog whining with contentment as Harry ran his hand across his fur.

"First and foremost," Harry explained, "I would like you, Elora, to meet Sebastian, Hermione and I outside the Magical Training Area tomorrow morning for a little sparring session that will hone our reflexes. You need only your wand and nothing else; while the four of us are tending to this session, I would like the rest of you to act as though you are on holiday. Go into Les Terres Magiques and enjoy yourselves; take a trip into Paris if you want to, but don't act so stoic all the time. Now, not only that, but I want you all to know how grateful I am for your assistance in helping me accept this newfound responsibility of mine and, although I am returning to Hogwarts, I would be honoured if you, my Order of Pendragon, would join me as my personal guard."

"We would be honoured, my lord Harry," Sebastian remarked, inclining his head as he explained, "For a while there, we of the Order were wondering what you were going to do about your return."

"Good," Harry smiled, "Then, with that last remark, I think it's safe to say that we can all get on with whatever we were doing; oh, but Dante?"

"Yes my lord?" asked the young warrior.

"I would like you to come and meet me in the Physical Training Area the day after tomorrow so that I can run through some sparring drills with Excalibur."

"As you wish my lord," Dante replied, inclining his head to his lord as they all left the lounge, Harry, Hermione, Dan and Emma remaining behind for a while. Looking to his family, as he had recently begun to accept them as such, Harry then smiled before he shook his head, his eyes on the door where the warriors had left them alone.

"I wonder if they'll ever accept my rule about using my name," he wondered aloud, watching as Hermione seemed to be content with curling up in his lap, Padfoot now lying down at his master's feet.

"Give them time Harry," Dan suggested, "They've been raised and bred to act as servants: changing their nature isn't going to happen overnight: anyway, Emma and I have some news of our own."

"What's that?" asked Harry, looking to his guardian.

"When you and Hermione were resting," Emma told him, "We went with Felicia and Tyler into the Mystic Lands and were able to get our hands on some finery and custom-made robes so that we would avoid any more encounters like what happened in customs."

"All right," Harry grinned, "Did the warriors get the crest we needed?"

"They did," Dan explained, "And the crests were in the same place as Mr Weasley: we know that Hermione's will be at her left shoulder just like yours is on the right, but I just want you to know that, for the first time since I met you Harry, I actually understand the effort you've made for our sake. Thanks son."

With a yawn, Harry stood up, walked over to Dan, lowered himself down and whispered three words in the man's ear, a look of shock and pure delight appearing on Dan's face as the Holy Knight then led his girlfriend out of the living room and off up to their bedroom.

Back in the lounge, Emma asked, "What did he say?"

Looking to his wife, Dan smiled as he replied, "No problem Dad."

Emma had tears in her eyes as she looked to where Harry and Hermione had left the room, her voice almost failing her as she asked, "Dan…do you think…he's…"

"He's himself again," Dan nodded, "We were the ones to write the address in his card and now, between you and me dear, I think he's finally accepting his place as a member of our family."

Emma nodded in agreement with her husband, her eyes still filled with tears as to the maturity and calm demeanour of the smart, influential young man that, officially, she could now think of as the son she always wanted.

HPHG

'Why did you do that Harry?' Hermione asked through the bond, her lithe form curled up on their bed while Harry was busy in the bathroom. 'You know how Mum will react when he tells her.'

'Hermione,' Harry replied, the Holy Knight of Ocean picking up a strong feeling of praise and finality from her boyfriend. 'Dan and Emma have wanted to hear those words leave my lips for a while now: why do you think they wrote son in my card or even bothered to accept me so easily? Besides,' his train of thoughts came to an end as he emerged from the bathroom, wearing only a set of pyjama trousers, exposing his athletically-changed frame.

As he curled up in his bed with the girl of his dreams, Harry spoke his thoughts out loud, "If I can do one thing to make Emma smile, it's starting to think of her as my Mum: if my real Mum was alive and she saw me now, she'd probably say the same thing."

"I guess so," Hermione sighed, allowing herself to be consumed by her boyfriend's embrace, "I guess I was just worried about how they'd take it."

"Well," laughed Harry, "Judging by the fact that they're not trying to break down our door, I'd say that they're taking it pretty well: if you want me to continue calling them Dan and Emma 'Mione, then all you have to do is say so."

"No," Hermione smiled, taking her favourite place on her boyfriend's chest, "I'd say that what you did was exactly the right thing to do: I love you Harry Potter."

"And I love you too Mione," Harry remarked, placing a soft kiss on her forehead as the woven blankets of sleep began to cover them, drawing them into the land of dreams and desires.

HPHG

The next morning, after Hermione had taken a refreshing swim and Harry had run a few laps in the Physical Training Area, both Holy Knights met their new mentors outside the Magical Training Area, Sebastian and Elora looking like they had their game faces on, the leader of the Order looking simply to avenge his former loss while keeping it formal, but competitive.

"Now," Sebastian explained, "Since you won the last round Lord Harry, your allotted time for exploration will now be five minutes and, this time, we work through a process of elimination: given that the last match was to a score of fifteen, this one will be a straight 7-shot lifeline; once you've been hit seven times, the door will open and you must leave until the end of the match."

"Agreed," Harry nodded, glad that he had already explained to Hermione over the two days what they were planning: at first, the idea of a magical paintball match with the Order had sounded intimidating to the Holy Knight of Ocean, but, when Harry had explained about the mirror maze twist, Hermione understood how this was training.

Unfortunately, the Knights had an advantage over the Order and, even if Sebastian said otherwise, they would still be able to use it: their advantage was their telepathic bond and, given that this was now a Team Death-Match, the need for Harry and Hermione to work as a team would allow them to roam throughout the maze at will.

"Now," Elora continued, "I have already tested my paintball spell and it came out blue; what about yours Hermione?"

"Gold," Hermione answered, "As in the colour of Godric Gryffindor's Crest, the same crest that is worn by Harry."

"So it's almost like Gryffindor and Slytherin are teaming up for the first time in nearly 500 years," Harry remarked, earning a laugh from Sebastian and Elora as he turned back to them. "Now remember; no aiming for the eyes or head; only chest area, arms, legs and feet; also, in light of the previous match, I think it only fair that we each get one chance to launch the Paint Barrage Jinx that I used on Sebastian at the end of our match, agreed?"

"Agreed," the others chorused, Sebastian almost glaring at Harry as he recalled that moment, the leader of the Order picking up the conversation, "As a rule, we will only fire the Paint Barrage Jinx if the caster is at six lives lost: think of it as a last stand spell."

"Agreed," Harry remarked, before he stepped past Sebastian, Hermione joining him, before the two of them entered the mirror maze, their five minute explorations beginning. However, as they walked through the maze, Harry recalling every open area and trick corner, he mistimed one of his steps and nearly went plunging into a pit at their feet. Only Hermione's quick hands and the lightning-quick reflexes of the Pure Knight saved him; when they pulled back, Harry saw that their path had indeed been changed; now there weren't just trick mirrors, but panels in the floors that could only be accessed by gangplanks and narrow crossing points.

"Something you forgot to mention Sebastian?" called Harry, his face reddening as he heard a laugh from the Order; truly this was to be a test of survival; as he pulled back again, Harry turned to Hermione. "If I heard right, there seems to be some kind of watery substance at the base of the pit; if need be, cheat!"

"Harry," Hermione remarked, "How could I live with myself if I cheated?"

"Just imagine it's Ron," Harry suggested.

"That'll work," Hermione laughed as the familiar lion's roar resounded through the maze, Harry giving her a quick kiss on the lips as he set off at a faster pace, his eyes and ears doing the work for his other senses.

For hours, the four combatants circled and doubled back on one another, Harry narrowly avoiding the trick platforms and hidden attacks from the Order; by the time three hours had elapsed, Harry counted off five cracks of thunder and six howling winds, but, since he had not heard the expected splatters of the Paint Barrage Jinx, he knew that Hermione was still safe. Looking to his own robes, Harry counted two of the shots from him, which meant Hermione was down by three.

Stepping through another open mirror, Harry stopped dead: all around him was…himself: his reflection stared back at him like a thousand Harrys looking at one another, the many different mirrors around him reflecting onto one another, earning Harry a strong, pounding headache that made him feel confused and angry; he couldn't even tell where the one fake mirror was anymore.

With a growl, he closed his eyes and allowed his rage to flow into his energy, calling on the magic within himself, his own advice coming back to him as he began to prepare to use magic. The Power Dampening Ward may be in effect, but that was simply against wandless magic and, if Harry concentrated enough then…

Opening his eyes, the Knight of Thunder smiled as he saw sparks of silver dancing across his fingertips, each of the sparks no larger than a 20p piece, but large enough to cause enough damage: all he had to do was push enough magic into it.

As he was channelling the energy, Harry heard two more howls of the wind and another crack of thunder, before he looked down at his hands, the lightning in his fingertips now growing as if it sensed his concern for the Lady Knight; now was the time.

Pushing outwards, Harry sent a powerful bolt of silver lightning flying from his fingertips, the forked elemental shape crashing into the mirror and shattering it into a thousand pieces; as the mirror fell, Harry saw Sebastian on the other side, covered in six balls of paint; the Order leader raised his wand, a sly smile on his face, but Harry, with an equally perceptive grin, whispered, "Nice try."

Spinning round, he cried out, "Orbis pigmento!"

There was a curse, a howl of the wind and the seventh silvery shot was fired on Sebastian, who had actually hoped that he would see his lord use his newfound powers to aid in his hunt; it was the whole reason he had crafted the trap mirrors in the first place.

But, once again, the master had been outfoxed by the apprentice: Sebastian McDale had been eliminated and now, as he rushed past the leader, Harry shook his head almost pitifully as he called out, "Better luck next time Sebastian: should have fired at me when you had the chance."

'I know,' thought the Order member, a smile of admission on his face, 'Well done my lord: you have finally found the element within.'

As the match continued, the next to be eliminated was Hermione, but not before Harry heard a sound like a tidal wave washing throughout the passageways, drowning the damages that had been done on all sides, Hermione speaking to Harry in her mind, 'I take back everything I said about cheating my love; it wasn't necessary, but it was fun.'

'Such is the fun of being my girlfriend,' Harry laughed, following the sound of the water as he added, 'Dad would skin me alive if he found out about this.'

'Such is the fun of being on holiday,' Hermione retorted, Harry hearing the sound of the door opening, 'The only time that you can act like a big kid and get away with it.'

'I didn't mean that,' Harry remarked, 'I meant that he'd tell me I was a bad influence on you.'

'He'd better get used to it,' Hermione insisted, 'I wouldn't trade you, your heart, your Slytherin attitude or your chaos-inducing influence for the world; oh, and duck.'

Harry did, then wheeled around, crying out the spell as Elora cursed once, her body now marked by silver ball markings, her face set in a smile of admitted defeat.

"Game, set and match Harry," she smiled, shaking his hand, "You truly are the champion."

"Tell me that after next week," Harry sighed, escorting her to the doorway; however, as they left the Magical Training Area, Harry met a sight that made his eyes darken, his breath leaving his body in ragged hissing motions as he added, "On second thoughts, scratch that."

Elora looked from her Lord to the door of their rented villa, Sebastian, Dante, Tyler and Felicia moving to his side as Hermione took his arm, her eyes on the newcomer with a sense of curiosity and fear. "Harry," she whispered, "What's he doing here?"

"I don't know," Harry replied, before he snapped his fingers once, giving the Order a signal for them to step aside so that he could talk with their visitor; stepping through his entourage, he asked, "Can I help you with something…Headmaster?"

"Yes Harry," Professor Dumbledore replied, his voice as grandfatherly as ever, though now it seemed almost devoid of its friendly tone, "You can invite me in: you're in terrible danger."

HPHG

"Boss? BOSS?"

Amelia Bones looked up from her desk as the voice of her newest Auror sounded through the department, a familiar head of lightened hair appearing over the heads of her other co-workers, before a young woman with a slim, well-defined face appeared, a pair of deep blue eyes staring out from under a head of what could only be described as pink hair. She was dressed in a set of black and blue robes that not only held the traditional Ministry crest but, with special permission from Amelia's key client, the woman also wore the Potter Family Crest on her forearm, showing her to be in the service of the House.

"What is it Tonks?" asked Amelia, noticing the look of fear and panic in the eyes of her subordinate/assistant to Lord Potter.

"It's Harry boss," Tonks replied; her real name was Nymphadora, but no-one who had plans for family dared to call her that name. "We just got word from a weird little elf that he has a rather unwelcome visitor to his holiday villa."

"Harry?" asked Amelia, standing up as she heard the name, "Then that makes the unwelcome visitor…"

"Dumbledore," Tonks nodded, "How did he know where to find Harry?"

"I'll find that out," Amelia replied, throwing down the paperwork she had been dealing with, "Has he been invited in yet?"

"Not yet," Tonks replied, her hair changing colour from pink to a dark, almost messy brown style, "Harry must understand he's there for the wrong reasons."

"I agree," Amelia nodded, placing her wand against her vassal's crest, "Good thing I had the foresight to charm this into a Portkey that locks onto Harry: stay here, but make sure that the French Ministry know of my arrival; I may need some backup on this one; oh, and see if you can get a hold of Ragnok at Gringotts Bank: tell him it concerns Lord Potter; I'll be back."

With that, Amelia pressed her wand into the heart of the phoenix on her crest, before she declared, "Activate!"

HPHG

"You have no business here Headmaster," Harry remarked, standing firmly between his warriors, "This is my holiday and I must insist that you leave at once: I told you once before that you have no business poking your nose in during the holidays."

"But Harry," Dumbledore remarked, "You need to let me in: you are in terrible danger and only the information I can provide can help you."

Harry actually scoffed as his advanced magical senses detected the attempted wandless compulsions, the old man's eyes slowly regaining that damned twinkle; at the same time, Harry felt a light presence brushing over his mind, but, before it could get deeper, there was an ominous rumble of thunder and a bolt of lightning struck the area right next to Dumbledore, Harry's eyes glowing with raw magic.

Behind him, he heard Hermione ask, "How does he keep doing that?"

"It's a basic defence for the Holy Knight of Thunder," answered Dante, "When his mind, magic or physical presence is threatened, his elemental nature takes over and a bolt of lightning strikes the ground; it's slightly similar to what happened on his birthday to Mr Weasley, except that was a transportation, whereas this one is but a warning."

"And I suggest you take it Dumbledore," Harry remarked, "I don't want anything to do with you until September First: so whatever grave danger I may be in will have to wait until I return to school."

"Even if it means having to confront the one who betrayed your parents to Voldemort?"

Another bolt of lightning struck the ground, but this time, it came with an icy edge to Harry's voice that had Hermione frightened as the Holy Knight asked, "What?"

"Lord Potter!"

The sound of Amelia's voice had Harry look to the rear entrance, his voice raised as he called, "Over here!"

Amelia rushed into the main hall, saw Dumbledore, and that was pretty much it. "Albus? What the bloody hell do you think you are doing interfering with the livelihood of a Lord like this?"

"Ah Amelia," Albus grinned, Harry noticing the twinkle returning to his eyes, "Can you kindly explain to Harry about the recent Azkaban outbreak?"

"WHAT?" Amelia shrieked, "That's why you're here? Because of that is the reason that you choose to approach Lord Potter? While I will agree that he does deserve to know, it wasn't so desperate for him to know that you had to interfere. Now leave here at once or I shall be forced to hand you over to the French Ministry immediately…unless you want some other charges to be brought into the open."

Harry, watching the verbal tennis match that was going on here, asked as calmly as he could, "Could somebody please explain what the esteemed Headmaster is talking about?"

"I will Harry," Dumbledore answered, "All you have to do is invite me in."

"No," Harry answered, his eyes now steely cold as he added, "Get out and leave me alone: and, if I find out that a certain red-headed family had anything to do with this, then rest assured that you will be missing a few Gryffindors come September! Whatever grave danger I may be in can wait, but it will be me that meets it and not at your request."

"In other words Headmaster Dumbledore," Sebastian spoke up, now shielding his lord from the danger that was standing in front of him, "Leave and never bother Harry again: he is perfectly safe and there is nothing you can say against that."

Dumbledore looked from Sebastian to Harry and then to the Order, noticing Hermione and Amelia stood together as well; for a second, he thought about using Hermione's parents to get Harry back into his clutches, but that idea was removed when Harry moved back and linked hands with Hermione, a powerful silvery glow enveloping them and their cohorts.

With no other choice, Dumbledore inclined his head, "See you in September then."

He left, allowing Harry to turn to Amelia, a smile and a glare in his eyes as he asked, "Now, does someone want to tell me what the bloody hell that was all about?"

"I will," Amelia replied, "And, though I hate to ask it Harry, I think it would be beneficial if you cut your holiday short and return home: I will have Aurors protecting you and shall also speak to Ragnok about this; as your Vassal, you have my word."

"Thank you Amelia," Harry nodded, heaving a sigh as he felt his energy levels weakening from the instinctive magic he had performed; with a side-long glance to Sebastian, Harry added, "Have what protections you think best Amelia, but I know that my Order of Pendragon will protect me."

When Amelia nodded in reply, she left the hall and went to speak with Dan and Emma, leaving Harry to turn to Hermione, a guilty look in his eyes as he sighed and exclaimed, "He just never gives up, does he?"

"You know what they say Harry," Hermione reasoned, "United we stand; divided we fall."

"Mum and Dad are going to love this aren't they?"

Hermione looked over her boyfriend's shoulder, before she smiled and added, "I get the feeling that they won't mind it at all."

"Why do you say…"

His words were cut off when he felt Emma's familiar embrace wrap around him, a dampness running down his robe as she held him close, Dan standing tall and proud next to his wife as he looked to Harry.

"Did you say what I think you said son?"

Harry, realising what he had said, just smiled and nodded, "I did Dad; I'm sorry Mum."

"Don't be sorry Harry," Emma informed him, "We don't mind this if it means keeping you and Hermione safe from Dumbledore's reach; I'm just happy that you can finally call me…"

"Mum," Harry smiled, "Well, you did call me son."

HPHG

Safely back in England, or at least as safe as could be considered, Harry and Hermione returned their attention to their meditations as well as spending the odd day exploring their bond and their new powers. Harry's revelation that he could finally cast lightning at will was impressive, but, add to the fact that his magical spikes were centred around the flash of lightning just made him feel that much more unique.

Amelia had set them up in a private apartment in Diagon Alley that, when Harry had first seen it, hadn't been surprised to learn that the building was leased by Gringotts and, given the importance of Harry's role as Holy Knight, Ragnok made sure that they were alone and that there were several other occupants who were really undercover Aurors, goblin guards and, of course, the Order.

Harry ate breakfast each morning in the Leaky Cauldron, where he liked watching the other guests: funny little witches from the country, up for a day's shopping; venerable-looking wizards arguing over the latest article in Transfiguration Today; wild-looking warlocks; raucous dwarfs; and once, what looked suspiciously like a hag, who ordered a plate of raw liver from behind a thick woolen balaclava.

After breakfast Harry would go out into the backyard, take out his wand, tap the third brick from the left above the trash bin, and stand back as the archway into Diagon Alley opened in the wall.

Harry spent the long sunny days exploring the shops and eating under the brightly colored umbrellas outside cafes, where his fellow diners were showing one another their purchases or else discussing the case of Sirius Black, which, for Harry, had become a sore subject ever since Amelia had told him the truth on their first night.

Flashback

Seated in the main room of his apartment, Harry turned to Amelia as he asked, "So, what was Dumbledore talking about when he mentioned my parents being betrayed and what does this have to do with Azkaban?"

With an almost guilt-ridden gulp, Amelia answered him, "I should have told you this before Harry, but I was afraid as to how you would take the news: not long after you finished at Hogwarts, there was a breakout at the wizard's prison, Azkaban: the name of the escapee is Sirius Black, who is – or rather was – a friend of your Father's. Now, before I continue, I want you to promise me that you won't let this corrupt your judgment."

"I promise," Harry remarked, his eyes cold as he asked, "Why?"

"Because," Amelia replied, "When your parents went into hiding, very few people knew where they were hidden; one who did was Sirius Black and, according to eyewitness reports, he told You-Know-Who."

"Voldemort," Harry remarked, earning the expectant flinch from Amelia, "Don't be afraid to say the name Amelia: I wouldn't expect that from you."

"I'm sorry Harry," she replied, "Bad memories: anyway, the thing is this: your parents trusted Sirius to the point that they…well…they gave him a really powerful responsibility."

"Which was what?" asked Harry, the light in the room dimming as his emotions began to reach the surface.

"Your godfather," Amelia answered, "Sirius Black loved and respected the Potters so much that, to hear he betrayed them makes most of us wonder if he did love them."

"And what?" asked Harry, "Are you saying that he's escaped to finish the job?"

"That's what people say," Amelia told him, noticing how this was affecting his emotions. Looking around, Amelia lowered her voice to a mere whisper as she added, "Between you and me though Harry; I don't think he did betray them: in fact, I think he was set up somehow and, if he has escaped, then the last thing he wants to do is hurt you. I only tell you this so that you won't go looking for Black: you see, there's more to the story, but I don't think you're ready to hear it: just promise me Harry that you won't go looking for Black."

"What am I? Suicidal?" asked Harry, his tone indicating how angry he was, "Why would I go looking for someone who wants to kill me?"

Flashback End

Once Harry had refilled his money bag with gold Galleons, silver Sickles, and bronze Knuts from his vault at Gringotts, he had to exercise a lot of self-control not to spend the whole lot at once. He had to keep reminding himself that he had five years to go at Hogwarts to stop himself from buying a handsome set of solid gold Gobstones (a wizarding game rather like marbles, in which the stones squirt a nasty-smelling liquid into the other player's face when they lose a point). He was sorely tempted, too, by the perfect, moving model of the galaxy in a large glass ball, which would have meant he never had to take another Astronomy lesson.

Even though he knew of the fortunes that he possessed as a Holy Knight, he didn't really want to waste money on trivial things either: he had a feeling that if he did that, then Hermione would scold him for acting like his former self, but the thing that tested Harry's resolution most appeared in his formerly-favourite shop, Quality Quidditch Supplies, a week after he'd arrived at the Leaky Cauldron.

Curious to know what the crowd in the shop was staring at, Harry edged his way inside and squeezed in among the excited witches and wizards until he glimpsed a newly erected podium, on which was mounted the most magnificent broom he had ever seen in his life.

"Just come out - prototype -" a square-jawed wizard was telling his companion.

"It's the fastest broom in the world, isn't it, Dad?" squeaked a boy younger than Harry, who was swinging off his father's arm.

"Irish International Side's just put in an order for seven of these beauties!" the proprietor of the shop told the crowd. "And they're favorites for the World Cup!"

A large witch in front of Harry moved, and he was able to read the sign next to the broom:

THE FIREBOLT

THIS STATE-OF-THE-ART RACING BROOM SPORTS A STREAM-LINED, SUPERFINE HANDLE OF ASH, TREATED WITH A DIAMOND-HARD POLISH AND HAND-NUMBERED WITH ITS OWN REGISTRATION NUMBER. EACH INDIVIDUALLY SELECTED BIRCH TWIG IN THE BROOMTAIL HAS BEEN HONED TO AERODYNAMIC PERFECTION, GIVING THE FIREBOLT UNSURPASSABLE BALANCE AND PINPOINT PRECISION. THE FIREBOLT HAS AN ACCELERATION OF 150 MILES AN HOUR IN TEN SECONDS AND INCORPORATES AN UNBREAKABLE BRAKING CHARM.

PRICE ON REQUEST.

Price on request...Harry didn't like to think how much gold the Firebolt would cost. He had never wanted anything as much in his whole life - but he had never lost a Quidditch match on his Nimbus Two Thousand, and what was the point in emptying his Gringotts vault for the Firebolt, when he had a very good broom already? Harry didn't ask for the price, but he returned, almost every day after that, just to look at the Firebolt.

There were, however, things that Harry needed to buy. He went to the Apothecary to replenish his store of potions ingredients, and as his school robes were now several inches too short in the arm and leg, he visited Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions and bought new ones. Most important of all, he had to buy his new schoolbooks, which would include those for his three new subjects, Ancient Runes, Care of Magical Creatures and Advanced Charms.

Harry got a surprise as he looked in at the bookshop window. Instead of the usual display of gold-embossed spellbooks the size of paving slabs, there was a large iron cage behind the glass that held about a hundred copies of The Monster Book of Monsters. Torn pages were flying everywhere as the books grappled with each other, locked together in furious wrestling matches and snapping aggressively.

Harry pulled his booklist out of his pocket and consulted it for the first time. The Monster Book of Monsters was listed as the required book for Care of Magical Creatures. Now Harry understood why Hagrid had said it would come in useful. He felt relieved; he had been wondering whether Hagrid wanted help with some terrifying new pet.

As Harry entered Flourish and Blotts, the manager came hurrying toward him.

"Hogwarts?" he said abruptly. "Come to get your new books?"

"Yes," said Harry, "I need -"

"Get out of the way," said the manager impatiently, brushing Harry aside. He drew on a pair of very thick gloves, picked up a large, knobbly walking stick, and proceeded toward the door of the Monster Books' cage.

"Hang on," said Harry quickly, "I've already got one of those."

"Have you?" A look of enormous relief spread over the manager's face. "Thank heavens for that. I've been bitten five times already this morning -"

A loud ripping noise rent the air; two of the Monster Books had seized a third and were pulling it apart.

"Stop it! Stop it!" cried the manager, poking the walking stick through the bars and knocking the books apart. "I'm never stocking them again, never! It's been bedlam! I thought we'd seen the worst when we bought two hundred copies of the Invisible Book of Invisibility - cost a fortune, and we never found them...Well...is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Yes," replied Harry, "I need the Beginners Guide to Spell Crafting by AP Walker and the Apprentice's Dictionary of Runes by M.E. Price."

"Ah, an Ancient Runes student I see," the assistant smiled as Harry then asked for the Master's Guide to Enchantments and, as he was about to ask for a copy of Advanced Charms Level 1, he recalled the book he'd been sent by Minerva and decided against it: after all, he would receive each one as it came along, so there was no real need for it.

"Here you are," said the manager, who had climbed a set of steps to take down a thick, black-bound book. "Master's Guide to Enchantments: the perfect companion for the budding Charms Master."

But Harry wasn't listening. His eyes had fallen on another book, which was among a display on a small table: Death Omens - What to Do When You Know the Worst Is Coming.

"Oh, I wouldn't read that if I were you," said the manager lightly, looking to see what Harry was staring at. "You'll start seeing death omens everywhere. It's enough to frighten anyone to death."

But Harry continued to stare at the front cover of the book; it showed a black dog large as a bear, with gleaming eyes. It looked oddly familiar...

The manager pressed each of the requested books into Harry's hands.

"Anything else?" he said.

"Yes," said Harry, tearing his eyes away from the dog's and dazedly consulting his booklist. "Er - I need Intermediate Transfiguration and The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Three."

Harry emerged from Flourish and Blotts ten minutes later with his new books under his arms and made his way back to the Leaky Cauldron, hardly noticing where he was going and bumping into several people when it suddenly hit him.

'That dog,' he thought, his eyes on the street, though his mind was elsewhere, 'It looks a lot like Padfoot.'

'Harry?'

The sound of Hermione's voice had Harry looking up, his eyes on the apartment building as he asked, 'Yeah?'

'Are you all right?'

'Fine: what's wrong?'

Hermione's answer was laced with venom as she answered, 'Guess who's back from Egypt?'

'I'm on my way,' Harry remarked, making his way to the apartment as he hoped that nothing was going to happen, his thoughts about Padfoot's mystery now cast aside for his duty to Hermione.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194 10 1
Written by Yunaine on fanfiction.net When a few inappropriate questions derail the meeting at the Hog's Head, Harry lets the situation play out. Even...
52.2K 1K 20
(disclaimer: the events in this fanfic are not necessarily related to the events in the actual hbp, just for funsies :) ) It's Harry and Hermione's 6...
220K 10.6K 61
❝𝙏𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙢𝙚 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬. ❞ ❝𝙄 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙮�...
973K 9.7K 37
he kissed her like his life depended on it. and it did. draco wondered if she knew- wondered if she'd still choose him. *currently in serious revis...