dancing with our hands tied |...

By sansasrose

Alicent Hightower has never really liked her younger sister Alayne Hightower, so Rhaenyra stayed away, but th... More

summary.
act i.
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
act ii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
xxv.
xxvi.
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
xxxi.
xxxii.
xxxiii.
xxxiv.
xxxv.
xxxvi.
xxxvii.
xxxviii.
act iii.
xxxix.
xl.
xli.
xlii.
xliv.
xlv.
xlvi.
xlvii.
xlviii.
xlix.
l.
li.
lii.
act iv.
liii.
liv.
lvi.
lvii.
lviii.
lix.
lx.
lxi.
lxii.
lxiii.
lxiv.
lxv.
lxvi.
lxvii.
lxviii.
act v.
lxix.
lxx.
lxxi.

lv.

4.5K 287 196
By sansasrose

133 A.C.
SOMEWHERE IN THE RIVERLANDS
•••

CASSANA BARATHEON WASN'T DEAD, BUT SHE WANTED TO BE. SHE WASN'T SURE HOW MANY DAYS HAD PASSED, what the hour was. She didn't see the sun and had no way to keep track of the time. She had nothing but four walls to keep her company.

Except when Aemond came.

Cassana wasn't sure what image she'd once had of Aemond, but it changed with every visit. Sometimes he would simply sit and talk to her, but he never told her anything of substance. She didn't know what was going on with her family or the succession. She knew that Aemond wasn't at his brother's side and that they weren't in the Red Keep, but that was all she knew.  Those were the days when Aemond simply wanted her to listen, because Cassana never added anything to the conversation.

She hadn't seen Laenor since when she'd initially woke up. Aemond said that she wasn't allowed to see him until she was willing for them to be a family. The three of them. Cassana would give anything to see her son, but she was unwilling to feed Aemond's delusions. She wouldn't give him what he wanted when Aemond had taken everything from her.

The uncertainty of where she was, of what was going on with her son made Cassana want to die.

The door opened and Cassana jumped in fear and began to move toward the wall in fear that it was Aemond who was coming in. Luckily, the chains around her ankles allowed her to make the distance. Instead of Aemond, it was a woman she'd never seen before with a candle. Cassana stared at the woman, observing her dark hair and green eyes.

"Who are you?" Cassana demands, her voice unfamiliar to herself since she hadn't spoken in ages. It was hoarse and scratchy.

"Alys," the woman responds.

"What is your last name?" Cassana requests.

"The Prince ask that I come check on you," Alys ignores the question as she closes the door behind her.

Cassana's eyes narrow at the woman. She wasn't dressed like a servant but not much like a noblewoman either. She also noticed that the woman was careful to answer with just her first name, not giving a family name.

"Why? Was he too busy himself?" Cassana asks, bitterness in her words as she leans her head against the wall.

"He is," Alys answers, "You however seem fine."

Cassana watches as Alys goes to retreat from the room and panic sets in, "Wait!"

Alys stops and looks at Cassana curiously.

"Can you," Cassana's words falter as a tear slips from her eyes, "Can you tell me how my son is doing?"

"I see little of him, only when it's time for feeding," Alys answers, "The Prince insists that no one else interfere. He takes the boy with him everywhere. As though he was his father. Is he?"

Feeding? So, Alys was a wet nurse. Which meant she had given birth recently. That meant that she was a mother. Cassana didn't know how she felt about the woman feeding her son.

"No!" Cassana answers, "Jacaerys Velaryon is his father." 

Cassana squeezes her eyes shut at the words and silent tears begin falling from her eyes. She knew that with the amount of time, Aemond spent with Laenor that he would begin to confuse things. That he may truly grow to believe that he was his father.

"Why don't you give him what he wants?" Alys asks curiously as she watches the young woman.

Cassana's brow furrows as she looks at Alys, "Do you know what he wants?"

"He wants you," Alys answers simply, "He wants the three of you to be a family."

"We are not a family!" Cassana yells as she rises to her feet, "He killed my husband! He took me away from my family! He started the war!"

"You know of the war?" Alys asks.

"Yes," Cassana answers, "And I find it disgusting that you would serve him. His brother usurped the throne from the rightful queen, Rhaenyra Targaryen."

"You believe that I serve him?" Alys wonders as she tilts her head.

"He told you to check on me. You obeyed," Cassana answers, she quirks a brow, "Have I got something confused?"

Alys laughs softly and Cassana stares at her, trying to gauge any distinct features. Tully red hair or Tyrell regality, but she's unable to pinpoint anything. She couldn't even determine the age of the woman before her.

"You are the daughter of Alayne and Brandon Baratheon. The one who flew the dragon. Who married the Prince who was supposed to be queen," Alys speaks as she inches closer to Cassana, "I can't imagine how hard this is for you."

Cassana watches Alys wearily, "What are you talking about?"

"Give him what he wants, Cassana," Alys tells her, "You will see your son when you do. It'll make things easier."

"I don't want easier! I want my husband back! I want to go home to my family!" Cassana says her voice cracking, "I want to see my mother and father."

"Westeros is at war child," Alys responds shaking her head, "You may never see your parents again."

Cassana frowns at the words, but she knew Alys was right. However, she didn't need to hear that, especially when she never had the opportunity to say goodbye. She didn't know what was going on if her family had made a move against Aegon.

"Give in," Alys instructs, "So at the very least you may save your son."

"What is your last name?" Cassana demands.

"Rivers," Alys answers, "That doesn't help you, does it?"

They were in the Riverlands. Cassana's lips curve in a small smile as she remembers the plan. Daemon was to come to the Riverlands. Daemon would save her, she just had to endure.

"No," Cassana answers, "It doesn't."

Alys stares at Cassana, knowing that she was lying. She sighs as she looks away from Cassana and at the ground. She found the young woman to be too strong-willed and tactless. All noble women were, they had been given wiggle room their entire life. She didn't know how to manipulate the situation. She didn't know how to take the way a bastard knew how. 

"Just do as he asks," Alys says softly as she heads toward the door.

"One last question," Cassana says and Alys sighs as she spins and looks at Cassana, "Can you check on Laenor? Please?"

Alys looks at Cassana and doesn't say anything before heading out of the room, closing the door behind her. Cassana sat down and drew her legs close to her chest. She was in the Riverlands. Laenor was alive. Daemon would come to save her. Everything would be fine.

•••

Rhaenyra had been a girl the last time she had visited the Eyrie. She did not recall her cousin Jeyne Arryn, but she knew that she valued family. She would value that Rhaenyra herself came to speak with her and for that, she would protect the people that meant most to her.

Jeyne Arryn was a woman of thirty and five. She was unmarried and had ruled the Vale since the death of her father and brothers when she was three. Rumors had stated that she had gone through every man in the Vale and then some, but Alayne had always had her suspicions. She always believed that Jeyne had preferred the company of women and had made jokes about how if she had been Lady of Oldtown, she would have been like Jeyne. Unmarried with rumors following her everywhere. 

Rhaenyra had Ser Steffon stay with Joffrey, Falia, and Rhaena in Gulltown while she sorted things out with Jeyne.

The Knights of the Vale led Rhaenyra into the High Hall where her cousin sat. Rhaenyra couldn't help as she looked at the Moon Door, perhaps the only unforgettable thing from her childhood visits as she recalled the fear of falling through.

"Lady Jeyne I present Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen, First of her name, Queen of the Andals The Rhoynar-"

"Yes yes, I know," Jeyne responds as she stands from her seat. Rhaenyra didn't mind the interruption. She herself was tired of the titles being listed over and over again, "I was there when I had to swear fealty to my cousin when King Viserys named her heir. I know the titles."

Rhaenyra watches as Jeyne descends the stairs, "Leave us."

"My Lady-"

"Leave us," Jeyne orders again, and the knights all share a look before clearing out of the room, leaving Rhaenyra and Jeyne alone.

"You must truly need this alliance," Jeyne says with a small smile as she stands before Rhaenyra, "Coming here yourself, Your Grace."

"My mother was an Arryn. You are family. I would not send a messenger to deal with family," Rhaenrya responds and a smile crosses Jeyne's lips.

"I was sorry to hear about your son," Jeyne says, "I hear he was everything a prince should be."

"He was," Rhaenrya says trying to push Jacaerys from the back of her mind, "If you know of my loss then you know why I am here?"

"For my support," Jeyne states clasping her hands together, "For my men."

"And to ask you if you will protect my three children," Rhaenyra states, "The Prince Joffrey Velaryon. The Princess Rhaena Targaryen. And Lady Falia Baratheon."

At the mention of Falia, Jeyne quickly looks at Rhaenyra, "You claim Falia Baratheon as your own?"

Rhaenyra forgets that this isn't Dragonstone. That she cannot just claim Falia as her daughter. 

"I've spent a great deal of time with her," Rhaenyra responds, "I sometimes see her as my own."

Jeyne doesn't buy it, "It's a curious thing. The fact that you ruined Alayne's face and that she still stands by your side. One of your most vocal supporters against her own family. Only love would drive a person to do that."

Rhaenyra swallows and drops her gaze. She could deny it. Say that it's preposterous to think such a thing. But it wasn't. She loved Alayne and Alayne loved her, and she wouldn't deny it. Not any longer.

Jeyne's lips curve in a smile at Rhaenyra's silence, "Thrice have my own kin sought to replace me," Jeyne speaks, "My cousin Ser Arnold says women are too soft to rule. I have him in one of my sky cells. Prince Daemon was cruel to his wife, but I see that your marriage with him is to mask where your heart truly lies."

Rhaenyra looks up to see that Jeyne is smiling at her, "You remain my rightful queen. And you are my blood. Most of all in this world of me, women must stand together. Besides, I too know what the love of a woman is like. For that, I will protect your children. All three of them."

Rhaenyra breathes and it feels like her first breath since entering the hall, "Thank you."

"The Vale and its knights shall stand with you. If you will grant me one request," Jeyne says.

Rhaenyra nods her head, "Anything."

"Dragons," Jeyne states, "I have no fear of armies. Many have failed to take the Bloody Gate, but should an attack descend from the sky, as Queen Visenya did during the Conquest. I mislike feeling powerless. Send me Dragonriders."

"Well, you have three," Rhaenyra answers, "But Joffrey has his dragon Tyraxes and Falia just recently hatched a dragon egg. Jelmazma she calls her. It's Valyrian for storm. And Rhaena has three dragon eggs with her. We believe one will hatch." 

Jeyne laughs, "She even has a dragon. I look forward to meeting Falia. She seems brave."

"She's mostly kind and gentle," Rhaenrya responds, "Cassana, she was the brave one."

"The other dragonrider who married your son. I hear they killed her as well," Jeyne states, "I suppose that loss hurt just as much as your son's."

"It did," Rhaenyra responds. Jenye can see that Rhaenyra is trying her best not to cry so she decides to ensure that the tears don't fall as she drops to her knee, kneeling before her queen as a show of her fealty.

"You needn't-"

"But I must," Jeyne states, "What you are doing will change the way the world views women. For that, I owe you my utmost respect."

Rhaenrya holds her hand out and Jeyne accepts it as Rhaenyra helps her up.

"I do hope that I can meet your expectations," Rhaenyra responds.

Jeyne smiles kindly at her and offers her hand a gentle squeeze, "You already have."

•••

"It's so cold," Lucerys mutters as they stand at the gate of Winterfell. The fur coat he was wearing was heavy, but the young Prince had never experienced temperatures as cold as the ones he currently was.

"Yes, it is," Elissa responds, "Now when we meet Lord Cregan, let me do the talking. You stand there quiet as a mouse."

Lucerys frowns, "Why do you get to do the talking?"

"Because I know what he wants to hear," Elissa says as the gates open. Lucerys glances over his shoulder at Arrax who didn't seem very fond of the cold temperatures either. Luke sighed as he nodded his head and without hesitation, the dragon flapped his wings and took off.

"There's a hot spring nearby," Elissa states, "That's probably where Arrax is heading."

"How do you know that?"

"There's an old Maester's book about the castles," Elissa informs him, "Winterfell was unique because it was built over a hot spring which warms its walls."

"Who dares enter Winterfell?" one of the guards requests.

Elissa looks over at Luke who glances at her confused. She had told him not to speak. Elissa gently nudges him, and Luke looks at the guard.

"I – I am Prince Lucerys Velaryon. This is Lady Elissa Baratheon. We have come to speak with Lord Cregan."

Elissa nods her head beside him and Luke smiles to himself. He did well.

"This way," the guard says, and Elissa and Luke don't hesitate as they follow the men into the courtyard of Winterfell. The sound of steel being hammered was heard. Elissa looked around, taking in the laughter and the liveliness of the place.

She didn't know what she had been expecting but it certainly wasn't this.

They made their way to a corner of the courtyard where two men were sparring with one another. Elissa and Lucerys paused to watch the men. They were using great swords, twice the size most men in the south used. The men danced around one another before one launched an attack. Metal clanged against metal before eventually one man was knocked off his feet, a sword held to his throat.

"I yield," he said holding his hand up, and the other man chuckled as he held a hand out to him, helping him to his feet, "Rickon kept me up last night, I think that is why I was a step slower."

"Is that so?" the other man asks.

"Lord Cregan," the guard said, bounding over to the man who'd lost the fight. We have visitors. Prince Lucerys Velaryon and Lady Elissa Baratheon." 

Cregan looks over and he easily notices Lucerys and Elissa. Though Elissa had known that Cregan was close in age, she hadn't expected him to be as handsome as he was. He was tall, formidable, a ruggish sort of beauty.

Cregan hands his sword off to the guard before making his way over to Elissa and Lucerys with a smile on his lips.

"Prince Lucerys," Cregan greets, "It is an honor to host you here at Winterfell." He looks over at Elissa, "And you Lady Elissa."

"Thank you for your hospitality Lord Cregan," Elissa responds.

Cregan looks over at Lucerys, "Come, I will have chambers prepared for you both. I'm sure you're both tired from your travels."

"Actually," Elissa states, "I've read much about Winterfell and wouldn't mind a tour."

"Very well," Cregan says, he looks over at Luke. He looks between Elissa and Cregan. The truth was that Luke was tired and nervous. He did not want to tour Winterfell out of fear that he might ruin things.

"I think I will rest," Lucerys states.

"I could-"

"Oh no it's fine," Luke says, "I'm sure someone will help me."

"Torren?" Cregan calls out to his sparring partner. The man looks up from the swords he was putting away, "Show Prince Lucerys to his chambers?"

"Of course my Lord," Torren says. Cregan nods thankfully at the man before looking down at Elissa.

"So what would you like to see first?"

"The Godswood," Elissa requests. Cregan looks at her with great interest.

"Do you pray to the Old Gods?"

"I don't pray to any gods," Elissa responds.

Cregan and Elissa begin walking toward the Godswood, "SO you have no faith?"

"I have faith in myself," Elissa responds and Cregan chuckles, "So who is Rickon? A lover?"

Cregan quirks a brow at her, "And why would you assume that?"

"You said he kept you up all night," Elissa states.

Cregan smiles widely, "Ah I can see how that could be misinterpreted. Rickon is my son. My wife passed after he was born so I've been taking care of him. Last night was hard I think he may be catching a chill."

"Oh," Elissa says, "I'm sorry for your loss. I recently suffered a loss myself."

"Yes," Cregan responds, "I heard of the attack. I'm sorry."

"Thank you," Elissa says. They make their way to the weirwood on the Godswood and Elissa is surprised at the size of the tree. The one in King's Landing had been much smaller, but the one in Winterfell was massive and beautiful, sitting near a small pond.

Elissa looks over at Cregan who watches her with a small smile, "It's lovely."

"It is," Cregan states, "Almost makes you want to believe in the gods."

Elissa sighs as she looks at the weirwood. Cregan joins her looking at the tree.

"I suppose you know why we're here?" Elissa asks as she looks up at the taller man. Cregan nods his head.

"I do."

"Your father swore an oath to Rhaenyra," Elissa says, "I do hope that oath means something to you as well?"

"Of course, it does," Cregan says as he looks at her, "And while I recognize Rhaenyra as my Queen, northerners care little for the politics of the south. Why would I march my men south when they have no stakes?"

"Then we'll create stakes," Elissa responds, "You have a son, an heir. Lucerys is the heir to the Iron Throne, and he is to marry his cousin, Rhaena Targaryen. Should they have a daughter, she will marry your son. That way you have ties to the south. As will your men."

Cregan looked thoughtfully at the weirwood before looking over at Elissa, "Give me time to think it over."

Elissa nods her head, "I understand marriage pacts aren't easy. My mother, she wanted my siblings and I to pick who we wanted to marry. A privilege so many aren't allowed."

"I chose my first wife," Cregan states, "I didn't love her initially, but I knew that I had a duty to sire an heir. That duty killed her, and I carry that guilt every day. I vowed that I would not marry again."

"And what if you need another heir?" Elissa asks.

"Then I will complete my duty, but Rickon is strong. His second nameday is not too far away. I believe he is all that I need," Cregan informs Elissa, "And what of you? Do you have some knight waiting for you?"

Elissa chuckles, and shakes her head, "No. I'm more into noblemen."

Cregan's lips curl in a small smile, "Like Princes?"

Elissa smiles coyly as she looks at him, "And lords. Truthfully though when I was younger I would have given anything to marry a prince. I was greedy and wanted power and titles."

"And now?" Cregan asks.

"I want my family safe," Elissa answers, "That's why my mother sent me here. To protect me from the carnage of war. My siblings and I were raised...differently. My sister is my father's heir and I think she was born to lead. Cassana was an amazing archer and she claimed a dragon. Durran he's the best fighter I've ever seen. Beric's good as well. Falia's too gentle to ever harm anyone. And then there's me."

Cregan crosses his arms over his chest, "What about you?"

Elissa smiles and looks up at the sky as she recalls her childhood, "I liked tunnels."

"Tunnels?" Cregan asks quirking his brows.

"Yes," Elissa says, "There was something so peaceful about them. Growing up in a big family where everyone was trying their best to get our parent's attention with this skill or another, I sometimes wanted to escape and I did. There were tunnels and I'd play in them. And I'd hear secrets."

"Like what?"

Elissa shrugs, "Like a maiden disliking another's hair. There were some serious secrets that I learned. Things that make me think very little of humanity."

"There are bad people," Cregan says, "But not everyone is like that."

"I know," Elissa says, "But it's hard to speak to someone without a preconceived notion."

"Do you have one of me?" Cregan asks.

Elissa's eyes scan over the Lord, "You wear far too little for the conditions that you live in."

Cregan looks down at the tunic he was wearing in comparison to Elissa's fur coat and lets out a hearty laugh, "You grow used to it."

Elissa looks at the leaves of the weirwood tree with a small smile, "I never intend to grow used to it."

•••

"Lady Alayne," Qoren greeted the Lady. He briefly acknowledged her travel companion before making his way over to Alayne. From Dragonstone they had traveled to Dorne with Aegon and Viserys.

"Prince Qoren," Alayne says, "It's so good to see you."

"You as well, though I wish it were under better circumstances," Qoren responds, "I was sorry to hear about your daughter. And your grandson."

"Thank you," Alayne says taking a deep breath.

Qoren observes the small boys in Alayne's arms, "Are these the Princes?"

Alayne nods her head, "This is Aegon, and this is Viserys. They can be a bit of trouble when they want to."

Qoren smiles, "Then they will fit right in here."

Alayne smiles and looks down at the boys, "So you will send them to Starfall?"

"Yes, they will fit in best with House Dayne. No one would ask any questions and should trouble arise, Starfall has an easily accessible port. Vorian Dayne will treat those boys as his own."

"I know," Alayne responds, "It's just –"

"I know," Qoren says nodding his head, "When Aliandra told me she was fighting with Argella I wanted nothing more than to order that she stay here but she is a woman. I can no longer determine where she goes. But if I could, I would do exactly what you're doing."

Alayne nods her head and looks at Aegon and Viserys. She then looks at Ser Criston. He gives her a small encouraging nod. Alayne sighs as she sets Aegon down. Viserys wouldn't understand what was going on, but Aegon would.

"Aegon, this is Prince Qoren," Alayne says, and Aegon waves at the man which makes Qoren smile. Alayne kneels before the boy, pushing long strands of silver hair out of his face, "I have to go, but I'll be back. I promise."

"Go?" Aegon asks, "Why?"

Alayne didn't know how to explain it to the three-year-old.

"To help mama," Alayne answers, "But I promise I won't be gone long."

"No leave," Aegon says, "Stay."

Alayne feels tears burning her eyes so she instead presses her lips to Aegon's forehead, hoping that the kiss sears into his forehead as it was searing into her lips. This was the last piece of Rhaenrya she would be seeing in a while. The last piece of Daemon. The last piece of herself. She didn't know who she would be when this war ended but she knew she wanted to remember the gentleness of her boys.

"I love you, Aegon," Alayne says as she looks the boy in his eyes.

"Love you too," Aegon responds.

She looks over at Viserys who was watching them. A smile crosses his lips as he reaches out to Alayne, "Mama!"

Alayne's heart stuttered as she picked Viserys up, "I love you too Viserys."

"Love," the small boy babbled and Alayne laughed softly as she kissed him on the forehead. She then looked at Qoren before handing Viserys over to him. Qoren came and took Aegon's hand and gave Alayne a nod. A promise to protect her boys. She returned the gesture and spared the boys one last look.

She made her way toward the door.

"Mama?" she heard Aegon call after her, "Mama!"

Alayne's tears spilled down her cheeks, but she didn't look back. She couldn't because she knew she'd stay. She couldn't stay and she couldn't soften. She had a mission and she needed to complete it.

Criston followed her and the two of them made their way to their next destination.

King's Landing.

•••

Otto Hightower was not having a good start to the war. His great-grandchildren had been slaughtered. His king was drinking himself to an early grave. His grandson who'd started the war was off somewhere in the Riverlands. His granddaughter had not left her room and days and he was losing support.

The Tyrells, who'd once declared support for Aegon, had decided to remain neutral. The Dornish had declared in favor of Rhaenyra, and recently the Knights of the Vale were gathering in Gulltown flying Rhaenyra's banners. With support in the Stormlands and Daemon meeting with lords in the Riverlands, it seemed that the war would be over before it began.

There was one hope though.

Beric Baratheon.

It was no secret that Beric had been the father to little Maelor and that the death of his son had not only broken Helaena, but it had destroyed Beric as well. He was restless and he knew who had been behind the attack. He wanted answers. He wanted vengeance.

He hadn't left Helaena's side since the attack, but he knew that he could not stay in King's Landing. He had things he needed to take care of. So he kissed a sleeping Helaena on the forehead and he left King's Landing in the cover of night.

He'd heard word that Aemond had been in the Riverlands. He'd rode for the Riverlands day and night without little stop. It didn't take long for him to find him after asking questions about Vhagar.

It was an old, abandoned castle in the Riverlands near Harrenhal. Beric climbed off his horse and saw as Vhagar circled the skies. Beric took a deep breath as he headed toward the gates of the ruin, only to be stopped by guards that looked more like thieves and crooks.

"What business do you have being here?"

"I'm here to see Prince Aemond," Beric states.

"And why would the Prince want to see you?"

"Let him pass," Aemond says and the guard looks over at Aemond who nods for him to come inside. Beric looks at the man as he passes him before making his way toward Aemond.

"Cousin," Aemond greets, "You must be tired from your travels-"

"Tell me why I shouldn't put my sword through your other eye?" Beric interrupts, his hand going to the hilt of his sword.

Aemond looks at Beric before letting out a laugh. Beric's threat was empty. Of all the Baratheon children, Aemond feared Beric the least and that included little Falia. He was spineless. He was nothing special like the rest of his siblings.

"Because I would kill you before you'd have the chance," Aemond responds, "But go on, give it a try."

Beric looks Aemond in the eye before his hand drops from his sword, "Why did you kill them?"

"Kill them?" Aemond asks, "I didn't."

"Don't play coy!" Beric exclaims, "You burned my sister and nephew alive! You're the reason Maelor and Jaehaerys are dead!"

That was news to Aemond, "They're dead?"

"Yes," Beric says, "Because of you!"

Beric shoves Aemond and the prince simply takes it, stumbling backward. He doesn't say anything and Beric stares at him.

"Have you nothing to say-"

"Cassana and Laenor are not dead."

Beric's brows furrow, "What do you mean? You burned their bodies!"

Aemond hums and nods for Beric to follow him. He takes Beric through the halls of the castle before leading him into a room with a crib. As they entered, Beric breath caught in his throat as he saw Laenor laying there sound asleep.

He looked up at Aemond, "Where's Cassana?"

Aemond headed out of the room and into the hallway. They made two right turns before Aemond led him to a door. This one he didn't open, instead he left that to Beric. The Baratheon shoved the door open and he couldn't believe his eyes.

Cassana sat in the corner, a chain wrapped around her ankles. The initial horror of seeing his sister alive quickly wore off as he realized that she was alive. Cassana had not died and so there had been no reason for Maelor to be killed.

Cassana looked at the door and her eyes widened at the sight of her brother. She rose to her feet and rushed over to her brother to greet him, but the chains prevented her from making it the entire way.

"Beric," Cassana says, tears beginning to fall down her cheek. There was relief in seeing her brother, but what she didn't know was that he felt the opposite. He was angry. He had wished that Cassana had been dead to make sense of the loss of his son. For such a cruel act to take place but not he couldn't rationalize it.

"Beric," Cassana says, "How are things? How are mother and father? How did you find me?"

Beric didn't answer any of the questions.

Instead, Beric took a step forward and kissed his sister on the forehead. Cassana was relieved by her brother's touch. By his familiar scent. She was going to be rescued.

"Take me home?" she asks.

Beric looks down at Cassana. She was dead. Everyone believed she was dead. He'd believed she was dead. And so her death would continue to be the story.

When Beric didn't answer her question, Cassana began to worry, "Beric? You are here to take me home? Right?"

Beric doesn't say anything as he turns around and heads out of the room. Cassana's heart begins to beat uncontrollably within her chest and she begins to yank at her chains, "Beric! Beric! Beric!"

Alys watched from the shadows as Cassana was abandoned by her brother. The door slams shut, but Cassana's screams can be heard around the castle.

Beric tunes them out all the same.

"I am going to the Stormlands," Beric states.

Aemond looks at him curiously, "Why would you do that?"

"I should be the Lord of the Stormlands," Beric states, "Argella, she has taken too much from me. My family has taken too much from me. It should be I who inherits not her."

Beric seems to seal in his conviction as he nods his head, "Yes, I will be the next Lord of the Stormlands."

He was doing this for Maelor. For Helaena. But most of all, he was doing it for himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46K 1.9K 18
Gaena Targaryen got her heart broken by the only man she ever loved. But he was using her the whole time. She was chosen as Queen, being the only per...
171K 7.7K 113
Aislynn Hightower tried to help her little sister Alicent, while she navigated the capital. But Aislynns husband seems less appealing when she met th...
368K 18.3K 40
Alicent meets a woman that could save her from the life she never wanted. But will this mystery woman be able to keep up with their ruse or will the...
137K 5.5K 31
𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗔𝗥𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗶'𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗿𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗶'𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘆 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛, rhaella visenya targaryen must choose be...