The disciples of The Seven Si...

By Hudsonhornetable2

Some short stories to help me develop a concept for a story I had in mind More

Caution
Wrath
Sloth
Lust

Envy

6 0 0
By Hudsonhornetable2

————————————————————————
The sin of Envy is a complicated matter. While all other sins still seem to have their primary patron sin present in their operations Envy is not because they are, at least from our understanding, shattered, contained in artifacts and weapons wielded by an inner circle of mages and warlocks all wielding and passing down fragments of a broken god
————————————————————————

A Shout pulled me from studies in the candle lit room of the library within my masters keep. I know well that he would be in his chambers far from me but it is as if his voice is right over my shoulder ripe with his usual annoying and overbearing regard. A form of powerful telepathy used to communicate and over look his students.

"Too my Study. Immediately" the voice hissed sending a shudder down my spine as I stood. Thankfully his presence left me as soon as I turned and began making my way towards his study.

I don't recall how long I was in meditation searching through the future and past alike. Hours, days? My head felt heavy and I stumbled catching myself on a nearby desk to stop my collapse as feeling returned to my legs at last.

I blink and an additional sense of a fourth delayed blink on the left side of my face told me I had mutated again. A new eye directly above the original slightly above where the brow would've been. It hopefully complimented the one on my left cheek bone as well. At least that was one positive way of looking at my new disfigurement. Once I believe I would've been considered attractive by human standards, black hair, blue eyes, and tall. Not that I remember much of what I used to look like as it is.

Now my body is wracked by mutations from excessive magic use. Additional eyes, a second mouth on my left shoulder, scales along my right arm and left leg, claws had begun forming on the right hand as well plus whatever I couldn't see that had altered within me. Id be considered an abomination now. Not that I care. In time I'd be able to reverse or at least mitigate the effects but even then I don't know if I would. I almost prefer it this way now.

Once feeling returned to my legs I stood again and began walking once more. An almost nauseous feeling plagued me during my reaclimation to the present reality. I stumbled along into the hallway and began making my way towards my masters study. I felt my side as I walked feeling some solace in the fact my dagger was still there. A final line of defense should my master have decided to remove my presence from his domain. Not that it would do much.

I along with every sorcerer here are not here at his beck and call by choice but because we know what awaits if we disobey. Death is preferable to one's soul being mutilated by dark magics. Twisted into a abomination of flesh and magic.

Even so I plot. A small hope born of a vision I had during one of my escapades through time. A spell made to make the tides of magic weak in a spot. A way to let myself strike, but that's not important now. What is important is surviving whatever he's bringing me forward for weather it be conversation or execution.

I continued down the hallway past rooms of other warlocks deep in meditation. Scrying the future or pass. Some convulsing and occasionally twitching. Others slumped over. Long since dead. Some were simply gone. Consumed by their own magic or taken by something neither demon or material. I had grown weary of watching and listening to these people die around me waiting for my turn. Id lasted the longest of any of them so far but I wouldn't last forever.

My severe mutations threatened to shut down my body if nothing is done for them.

"Dytrax" a voice whispered in my ear sending a chill down my spine at the sound of my own name causing me to stop and look behind me only to see the empty hall. I don't remember when I last heard my true name. "Dytrax" I hear it again. It lead into a hallway off to the side of the long hallway I'd walked down. I allow my curiosity to guide me this once and proceed down it towards a door covered in warding runes.

As I open the door I feel something eating at the back of my mind like I was being drawn to something. I glance towards the object and as always I'm hit by a presence more powerful than the masters... no... this was no vision but rather something seeking me out yet again. It was merely a multi colored nearly transparent crystal but its content was what held me now. It's as if I am caught in the clutches of a giant "kill him" I hear voices whispering in languages i do not know but I understand their intent as clearly as I would my own thoughts. My eyes and nose feel as though they're about to burst. Blood leaks from my nostrils as something finally gave.

"kill him and take his staff here to me." I heard from another direction just as scattered and just as mind piercing as the first "You shall be rewarded"

"Become the Champion of envy" a thousand voices boomed at me as my breathing quickened and I felt myself trembling as I realized what I was staring at. It was a fragment of the patron sin envy. Even as a fraction it's power seemed boundless and unending as if I was staring through the space between galaxies and yet somehow it felt broken and frail in comparison to what it could be.

My blood ran cold and my eyes bled joining the flow of crimson from my nostrils "REBUILD ME"

I feel myself dropped from its clutches as abruptly as it assaulted my mind and i nearly collapse to my knees as reality suddenly feels far more overwhelming than usual. Blood still dripping onto the floor from my eyes and nose. I stumbled back quivering as somehow I felt changed. I looked at the object that had assaulted my mind. It was a semi transparent crystal with blue, purple red hues dancing through it. Just seeing it hurt the eyes as if needles were being pushed into my retinas. I force myself to reach out and touch it. I closed my my eyes as I reached out.

As one of my remaining un mutated fingers touched the magic dense crystal something unexpected happened. I had expected more pain, another psychic assault, maybe even death but instead... instead I suddenly felt relief.

Arguably this was somehow more unsettling than when I had felt pain. I didn't have a chance to ponder this again as I opened my eyes and saw I was no longer in the Rune sealed room. My heightened senses told me that this had to be a vision but it all felt so real. Too real. I was standing on the edge of a jagged cliff looking out over a shattered realm intertwined with the cosmos. I glanced at my hands and my eyes widened

In my right I held a scythe I'd never seen before made from a staff and the crystal in my but my right hand... it was completely free of mutations

I was normal for the first time since before I was taken all those years ago. I looked behind me and saw a city spanning into the distance and it's spires reached high enough into the skies to go out of view. I could see banners depicting magic symbols and lights shining from it like a beacon in this place "you made this"

I snapped my head in the direction of the voice but was met by nothing but open air. I realized it was in my head, the same unified voice that had assaulted my mind earlier but nowhere near as overwhelming "you shall make this after you complete my shattered form and I shall gift you with the infinite knowledge to build this place. A herald of Envy shall deserve no less" the voice said as the vision fades bringing me back to reality as the scent of mold and death returns to my nostrils

I was holding the fragment of Envy now. It's power thrumming as it's shape slowly changes almost like fluid as it encompasses my hand, I show no resistance as the crystal substances coats my forearm forming a uniform crystal gauntlet. I pulled my cloaks sleeve down to hide it fully.

I couldn't believe that this think barely let out a magical presence. I'd have to examine it later... assuming there is a later for me.

I wiped the blood from my face as best as I could before remembering my task at hand. I turned and ran for a moment hoping I would make up for lost time on my way to my master. Soon enough I reached by a pair of large wooden doors with hinges made from blue crystal. Pushing the door open made a rough grinding noise as the crystal hinges moved against one another and I stepped into the room.

Various specimens and vials were scattered around the room along with books on shelves that covered every free wall of the room. My master was working on something at his workbench

To say he'd faired any better against mutations than I would be a blatant lie. It was almost impossible to descern his original species, His back while covered by a cloak showed at least 5 protrusions pepping the cloak up and both of his legs were changed resembling those of a bird, a large beak protruded in place of his mouth and nose, and his eyes were more akin to those a bug would have with hundreds of tiny black receptors acting as eyes.

I was about to announce my presence before he spoke without looking in my direction as he sensed my presence, his voice was dry and scratchy, as if his vocal cords were made of paper and crystal "you lingered in heading my call Dytrax" the wizard growled out my name and it made a chill fall over my skin, I am unsure if it was his doing or my own fear but I felt the crystal on my arm move slightly reminding me of its presence. It calmed me enough to steady my breathing. It didn't stop my nose from starting to bleed however so it wasn't capable of fully defending my mind, at least not without revealing itself.

A twinge of pain showed on my brow as I gritted my teeth before speaking "I-I can explain Master" I began to say trying to think up a suitable lie as I spoke "I-" thankfully I was cut off before I had a chance to slip up

"I care not for you tales lies or truth" he said with a beastial snarl as he set down his intricate and minute tools, most of them all finer than a human hair in order to preform his delicate procedure on the specimen on the table before him, he turned and faced me "Dytrax, do you know how long you've been here, serving me as little more than a monk" he stated walking in my direction slowly as he grabbed his staff from where it had been leaning on the wall near him, a crystal smaller but similar to the fragment of envy currently attached to my wrist but significantly less powerful as this one didnt hurt as much to look at, either that or I was getting used to it

A real possibility as I felt my skin crawling under the crystal around my wrist, more than likely forming new mutations as it sat there. This thing was becoming more volatile as he came closer. It was like it wanted the gem on that staff but thankfully stayed itself from launching at it. It needed time, either to get closer or pull off some sort of sneak attack or spell.

"I... I do not, at least... at least 10 years" I would say after some thought, in honesty I had no idea. Although I knew it had to have been far, far longer than that.

"You may have only been conscious for those ten years yes, but for you it has been 104 years, 3 months, and 18 days" he stated "longer than any disciple I've forced into my service to the point I feel you should be rewarded" he said as he stopped only a few paces from me now. He towered over me at least 3feet taller than I. "You deserve rest after all you've done for me and I do not aim to be ungrateful." He said as he reached out and a pentagram formed below my feet, I would've gone for the knife on my hip but the crystal around my arm stopped me as I floated into the air "I am going to honor you as being a chosen for myself, I've made it my work to understand each sin fundamentally and you are almost a perfect specimen for me to begin my next escapade" he said as my arms and legs were seemingly locked in place by his magic as he walked over and somewhat forcefully grabbed my chin the claws of his fingers threatening to slice my skin.

"You shall become the host for a daemon of lust as your final act for me, and then, if you survive I shall finally put you to rest" he hissed with a wicked grin that made my skin crawl as i finally felt the crystal on my wrist move with lightning speed forcing my arm to move as well

I wouldn't have to endure this long. He must've felt the spike of power same as me when my arm moved on its own towards his chest. The crystal jumping from my arm and shooting at her chest. He attempted to react but it was too late as the crystal formed into dozens of barbs wildly impaling the sorcerer and sending blood splattering from his back. I would drop from his spell and stumble back as I caught my footing

He's cough out blood as he looked up at me "you wicked whore! I'll have your head for this" he snarled as blood poured from his body, a hollow threat now that he was already half dead, he just hadn't noticed yet as I drew my dagger walking towards him

"The only wicked thing here is you Agonous." Id say as I unceremoniously cut his throat. He let out a his of pain and tried to uselessly move towards me spitting blood onto the face before he finally went limp.

I leaned down and picked up my dead masters staff in time for the shard of envy I had been carrying to return to liquid and start to meld with the crystal on the staff.forming a scythe blade like the one from my vision on the head of it. It shrank the staff down as well making it more my size as well. The next thing I noticed was that it no longer hurt to look at, and that I could feel more power running through my veins as well, the shard of envy was now actually empowering me.

I grabbed the scythe and looked it over as the thing in the crystal spoke again "your work is far from done my herald" the voices said as they condensed into a understandable cacophony. "Free your fellow prisoners here, raise an rebellion and claim this place"

I nodded and started back into the hall I came, I wasn't sure if I should fully trust it but after a century of unwilling service it's guidance either true or array was the best chance I'd have. I set about rousing the mages and warlocks still alive from their meditation and casting lightning into what gaurds came. Soon enough I had a rag tag team of escapees at my side

"What is our plan" one would call out

I didn't answer

"You have a plan, right?" Another closer to me asked

I looked to the scythe for guidance and it delivered "raise your palm to them, and I shall allow you to empower them, though it's random at best for the unwilling or unknowing. To submit to you will allow you to control the mutations." the voice of envy said and I raised my hand to the relatively unmutated man who spoke first

He grunted as I felt raw magic flow from my palm and cascade to him. He groaned clutching his chest and howling in pain as the other escapees screamed and backed away

His cry's continued like a tortured animal as his body grew bone like spikes covering him like armor

"Tell them what you are, and lead them" the staff said as the man panted heavily while standing up

I remained quiet for a moment as I felt the eyes of these people upon me. I made a fist as I worked up both the courage and the words to speak "I-I... I am the herald of Envy, the one chosen to rebuild our sin." I said as they came closer upon realizing the man I mutated was actually fine. "If you follow me I shall gift you as I did him, a-and I shall allow you freedom" i said with a gulp "all you must do... Is allow me to lead you!"

————————
50 years later

I don't know why that day came to mind as I sat in the same sanctum I killed my master, since then I'd campaigned in the name of envy recovering every fragment I could in this realm. I had made an enemy of the council of 12 but that was expected. I'd be coming for them soon enough after all.

I was cross legged floating several inches above the ground in meditation with my human leg crossed under my leg that had become more akin to that of a bird, my left arm just above the elbow and hand had also taken on scales to match a 3 fingered claw my additional eyes occasionally darting around endlessly. I continued to try to meditate before hearing something click followed by a bang from something falling

I let out a groan as I floated upwards and unfolded my legs settling them on the ground as I opened my eyes. I blinked several times as I turned around, I kept the place far cleaner than my old master had though even so several scrolls and books layed on the ground near the map of the 9 realms on the side of the room adjacent to my bed. that was where my my scythe was currently hovering after making a mess.

I let out a disgruntled sigh of annoyance. If I'd have known the weapon would have a mind of its own I may have reconsidered that deal all those years ago. I walked towards it "do you seek to cease every attempt I take at meditation"

"You were asleep Dytrax" it said in my mind

I was quiet for a moment as it was true and instead of playing into its games I looked at what it was facing "the 9th realm? I thought you said there were no fragments there we could obtain yet"

"That is true. But I see a hopeful alliance or at least beneficial enemy"

"So you expect me to drag my forces into a material realm just like that? Need I remind you the bulk of our power still lies in Daemons that are useless in the material world" I said crossing my arms as the eye on my right for arm stopped twitching and focused on the realm map. "What even is this... beneficial individual then?"

"A demon? No, an Angel? Both." The sun contained in my scythe said in my mind "a soul looking for a cause and being sought by many. Creation seeks to control her, Gluttony seeks to take her as a weapon, and Behemoth wants to set her loose, she requires guidance and can be useful in finding the heart of Lessa, a soldier for us where Daemons fail"

I thought for a moment before replying to it "you think only you and i should go?"

"Yes. We befriend the Hybrid of light and dark and make her our weapon" it said as it floated down next to me. I took it in my hand and looked up at the diagram.

"And you don't think the denizens of the earth will have anything to say about my appearance" i questioned looking at the blade

"...I hadn't thought that far ahead yet"

"Of course not" I said with a groan and turned walking down the hall of the sanctum to begin my preparations

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 54 7
These are some short stories i had on mind and made them into one book
66 5 1
Classic Fantasy short story which establishes this new world for the trilogy to follow!
33 5 18
A small collection of short stories that I just wanted to share. Enjoy!
30.4K 203 9
Short stories for you lot who love shortcuts. (Imagination, Fantasies and of course lots of Loves)