Paper Thin (muke)

By boomerluke

After leaving behind a past he'd rather forget, Luke is excited to finally be living on his own. With the hel... More

coming soon
PART ONE
01: safety
02: recluse
03: alone
04: jealousy
05: blind
06: love
07: past
08: confused
PART TWO
09: pain
10: emergency
11: lily
12: meetings
13: plans
14: kisses
15: family
16: mornings
PART THREE
17: dates
18: confessions
20: fights
21: firsts
22: confrontation
23: revelations
24: roadtrips
25: home
26: reality
27: lost
PART FOUR

19: movies

226 15 31
By boomerluke

LUKE

Luke thought he was dreaming when he heard Michael talking on the phone, hushed tones and the occasional sigh flitting through Luke's unconscious mind.

"No, that's not happening," Michael said, voice quiet and stern, "I already told you- no, Veronica I- People aren't going to get bored."

Luke only realized it wasn't a dream when he rolled over, Michael's side of the bed cool to the touch. That shocked Luke into consciousness, and he peeked an eye open, squinting against the harsh sun rays that shone through the window. Michael was standing in the corner of the room, phone pressed to his ear.

"I'm not doing the interview, okay? I'm perfectly fulfilled just staying behind the scenes." He turned towards Luke and the younger boy pretended to be asleep, shutting his eyes and breathing in and out slowly through parted lips. Michael had a sixth sense for when Luke woke up, always aware of the minute shift in breath pattern.

There was a pause and then he sighed "I'll think about it, okay? No promises though- Okay. Okay bye."

He made his way back over to the bed, slipping carefully under the covers. Luke pretended to wake up, stretching luxuriously and wrapping himself around Michael.

"Good morning." He yawned, nuzzling his face into the older boy's chest.

"Good morning," Michael wrapped his arms around Luke's body, "I didn't wake you with that phone call, did I?"

Luke shook his head. "Who was calling you at," he glanced at the side table alarm clock, "half past seven?"

It was Michael's turn to shake his head, waving it off. "Just work, nothing too important. So, excited for today?"

Luke noticed this wasn't the first time Michael quickly changed the subject when it came to his work. He was beginning to think Michael was some sort of criminal, or maybe even secret agent by how often he was gone at meetings or on secretive phone calls like this morning. This was the first time he'd heard anything about an interview though. He wanted to ask Michael more about it, but didn't want to seem like he was eavesdropping, so he let it go.

"Yeah I guess so," Luke mumbled, shrugging his shoulders as the realization settled in that today was the day he'd be moving back to his apartment. The anxiety was already beginning to settle in his gut. Over the last several weeks he'd only been alone a handful of times, and each time he'd had to take his newly prescribed anxiety medication to prevent from spiraling into an attack. He'd been working with his therapist to address it. For as long as he could remember, Luke had issues with being alone, but never as bad as it was now. If he wasn't with Michael he was with Calum. His therapist said that after all of the trauma he had been through, it wasn't surprising that he'd become codependent when it came to his relationships, and that learning to be alone and be confident supporting himself was the key to overcoming his fear and codependent habits. And Luke wanted to overcome.

"It'll be good for you, to get back to your own space." Michael nudged, trying to dig for how Luke was feeling.

"I know," Luke sighed, "I'm just nervous. I haven't been alone since, well.." he trailed off, his fingers running over the bedsheets. "I know he can't hurt me anymore, but still." And it was true, he couldn't. Liam was in jail until his trial, the judge waived away the idea of bail after seeing the photos of Luke's injuries.

"It's okay to be scared, Lu." Michael started, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of Luke's head, "But you'll be alright. Plus you won't even be alone tonight, everyone's coming over for movies and takeout and then Calum is staying the night."

"I know," Luke smiled, grateful for his friends and their willingness to drop everything to support him on his first night back in his apartment. "I'm just going to miss all of the chaos here."

Michael hugged him tighter, intertwining their legs and cuddling back into the blankets. "Your family will always be here when you need them, you could visit every weekend if you wanted, Liz would probably love that."

Luke hummed in agreement as they settled into a peaceful silence. It was still early in the morning, early enough on a weekend that nobody else in the house was awake, and Luke rejoiced in the calm of it all. He focused on his body pressed against Michael's, his leg wrapped around Michael's waist and his morning erection pressed against Michael's hip.

"You know, we don't have to be up for another hour," Luke grinned, hoisting himself into Michael's lap and letting his ass sit directly on the other's crotch. The older boy groaned, hands flying to Luke's hips as the blonde rotated his hips. "Why don't I repay you for that blowjob last week?"

***

"You're sure you can't stay the night?" Luke pouted as he wiped his mouth, coming up to cuddle back into Michael's side. He loved how disheveled he made Michael look; hair tousled, lips swollen and chest heaving.

"You're evil," Michael chuckled, wrapping his arms back around Luke after tucking himself back into his boxers. "Is that why you wanted to blow me? So you could try and convince me to stay with you tonight?"

Luke blushed, "It might have played a role in it, but really I just wanted to taste you."

Michael groaned, searching out Luke's face and placing a passionate kiss to the younger boy's lips. "Don't say things like that."

"Like what?" Luke goated, a grin on his face as he ran his fingers across Michael's chest.

"Dirty things that make me want to flip you over and take you right here in your childhood bed."

The grin was wiped off of Luke's face as his breath hitched, moaning quietly at Michael's dirty words. Michael always had such a way with words, a way of getting under Luke's skin and causing every inch of his body to go all hot.

"Suddenly I can't wait to get back to our apartments." Luke rutted his hips against Michael's side, showing the other just how excited he was from blowing him.

"Easy there, Angel." Michael groaned as he kissed Luke again, thumb pressed lightly against the underside of his jaw. "Your mom's going to knock on that door any minute to tell us breakfast is ready."

And just like clockwork Liz knocked on the door. Luke groaned, dropping his forehead against Michael's shoulder. His erection that had been steadily building began to deflate, still hard pressed against Michael but slightly less perky as his mom yelled out that breakfast was on the table.

"She's such a cockblock." He mumbled against Michael's skin, pressing a kiss to his arm. "We'll continue this back at my apartment though?"

Michael nodded, pulling Luke tight against him to give him one last breathtaking kiss. "Try to stop me."

Luke grinned, reluctantly pulling away from the older boy and getting out of the bed. A shiver ran down his spine as his feet touched the cold wooden floorboards.

"What d'you wanna wear today?" Luke asked as he walked over to Michael's overnight bag, beginning to pull clothes from inside.

Michael hummed, sitting up in the bed and running a hand through his unruly hair, "The navy blue sweater?"

Luke nodded, finding the sweater at the bottom of his bag and pulling out a pair of black jeans to go along with it. "I like that sweater, makes your skin glow, s'pretty."

"You're the pretty one." Michael complimented, thanking Luke as he handed the older boy his clothes. Luke scoffed as he walked towards his own bag, pulling out a pair of Calum's sweatpants and Michael's IU sweatshirt. His ribs were still sore, twinging slightly as he pulled on his fresh clothes, but other than that he was healing well. The doctor had removed his stitches last week and he hadn't had another seizure which was a good sign. All in all, things were beginning to go back to normal, and Luke couldn't be happier to put it all behind him.

He tried to avoid looking at the ugly scar on his arm as he dressed, always reverting his eyes any time his arm was bare. He could barely stomach the sight, and knew he'd never be able to wear short sleeves again.

"C'mon, Casanova, let's get cleaned up and head on down before Mama Liz comes looking for us." Luke grabbed Michael's arm as he stood, knowing he didn't need to guide Michael to the bathroom, but wanting to be as close to him as possible.

"You know I am sorry I can't stay the night, I'd reschedule tomorrow's early meeting if I could but I already rescheduled it from last week and-"

"I know, Mike," Luke smiled, squeezing his arm as they made it to the bathroom. "It's okay, you'll be at Ashton's and Calum will be at mine, it's just one night."

They washed up quickly, Luke spreading the toothpaste on both of their brushes before handing one to Michael. They brushed their hair and Michael put in his eye drops as Luke massaged vitamin E oil into his scar. Luke fixed his curls before doing the same to Michael, threading his fingers through the long fringe and styling it in Michael's traditional side swept fashion. Not long after, they were ready for breakfast, walking down the stairs to join the rest of the family at the table.

"Michael!" Cherish cheered, rushing over to steal Luke's chair next to Michael at the table. Luke pouted but couldn't help smile as Cherish helped fill Michael's plate.

"Cherish!" Michael laughed, thanking her for making up his plate and picking up his fork. "How did you sleep?"

"I slept good! But Ty woke me up too early." She pouted and threw a french toast stick at Ty across the table. It hit him and bounced under Luke's chair.

"Cherish! No throwing food." Andy scolded, scooping eggs onto Lilyah and Geoffe's plates. Cherish pouted but went back to eating her breakfast.

"Michael, can we read another chapter tonight?" Lilyah asked, a big pout on her face. Lilyah had quickly become attached to Michael when she found out he too was an M.G May fan, and had insisted on reading to him and Luke a chapter every other night.

"Michael and Luke are going back to their apartments today, Lils." Liz said as she joined them at the table, putting down another plate of french toast sticks. Geoffe and Luke each reached for more.

"I'm sorry, Lil. How about we call you tomorrow night and we can read the chapter together on the phone?" Michael suggested, pouting himself in sympathy. Luke smiled, heart melting more and more as he watched Michael interact with his siblings.

It didn't take long for Michael to quickly become the favorite amongst Luke's siblings. Lilyah and Cherish quickly taking to him, and Geoffe and Tyreese bonding with him over music and karate respectively. Luke couldn't believe how perfect Michael was; it was like he was taken right out of the pages of one of those romance novels Luke secretly loved. He was kind, compassionate, caring and undeniably sexy. He was everything Luke had ever looked for in a man and honestly Luke was waiting for the other shoe to drop. There had to be something wrong with him.

"You know you're always welcome home, right?" Liz reached over, squeezing Luke's hand and he squeezed it back, bringing her hand to his mouth and pressing a kiss to it.

"I know, Ma. Thank you for everything these last few weeks."

"Pshh," She waved it off, reaching over and taking Andy's hand who sat next to her. "You know we love having you home, Lu. And if you need anything at all you give us a call, okay?"

As it did every time, Luke's heart swelled at Liz's mention of home.

"I promise."

"Good," Liz sighed as she stood, beginning to gather plates from around the table. Luke reached his foot underneath the table, hooking his ankle around Michael's and giving it a gentle tug.

"D'you wanna get going? What time is that meeting of yours again?"

"Ashton said he'd pick me up from the apartment at twelve, what time is it now?"

"10:45, time to get going." Luke sighed as he checked his phone. "Dad, would you be able to drop us back off at the complex, please?"

Andy smiled, popping his head back into the dining room from the kitchen. "You bet kiddo. Go get packed up and I'll finish putting things away, then we'll get going."

Luke nodded, grabbing up his and Michael's plates and bringing them into the kitchen before returning to the dining room, wrapping his arms around Michael's shoulders from behind.

"'M gonna go grab our bags, you good here?"

"Yeah, I'll meet you at the car." Michael smiled, asking Cherish if she'd help him get there and Luke smiled, pressing a kiss to Michael's cheek before hurrying upstairs to gather their bags. They'd accumulated quite the collection over the last couple of weeks and Luke would be lying if he said he didn't break a sweat gathering the bags.

"Oh honey, hold on." Liz called when she saw him coming down the stairs, draped in luggage. "You have to be careful of those ribs, sweetheart." She grabbed a few of the bags from Luke and carried them to the car. "Don't want to prolong the healing."

"Thanks, Ma." He huffed as he threw the last bag in the car and wrapped Liz in a large hug. "Seriously, thank you for everything."

Liz must have known just what he meant as she squeezed him extra tight, cupping his cheeks in her hands.

"You're my child and you always will be. If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away."

Luke swallowed the growing lump in his throat and nodded as she patted his cheek. "Love you, Ma."

"Love you too, Sweetheart."

"Are we ready to go?" Andy walked up, Michael and Cherish behind him. Cherish was doing an excellent job of narrating each step and Michael couldn't hide the smile from his face. Luke loved Michael's smile. It was everything warm and comforting; a log fire in the middle of winter, the homemade soup Liz made on his birthdays, Calum's bear hugs.

And as Luke studied Michael there in the middle of his family, he realized this was it. This was what home truly felt like.

"Yeah, I think we're ready."

***

Overall it had been a great day, and it was showing no signs of stopping. For the first time since Luke can remember, he was feeling completely carefree and happy.

"What are you doing standing alone in the corner?" Calum asks as he comes back from talking with Sierra. Luke had invited all of their friends over for a first official hangout and maybe also to avoid being alone in his apartment just yet. Ashton and his friend Kaykay had told Michael they were running late, but Sierra had arrived early, her favorite lemongrass tofu spring rolls in hand to share with the group. They were all supposed to bring their favorite takeout for a potluck (Luke's idea to get to know each other) and everyone was all for it. So far Calum had brought Connie's pizza, Luke had brought pad thai from Ha Long Bay, and Michael had brought fries and chicken strips from the diner next door.

"Just trying to take it all in." Luke sighed happily, watching on as Michael and Sierra laughed together. "One minute things were falling apart and now... I just don't know how I got so lucky to have so many amazing people in my life."

"It's because you're so loveable, Baby." Calum wrapped his arm around Luke's waist, pressing a kiss to the side of his head. "Your energy is contagious."

Before Luke could respond there was a knock at the door and he hurried to get it.

"Ashton, hi." Luke smiled at the older man before turning his attention to the woman standing next to him, arm wrapped around him. "And you must be Kaykay, it's nice to finally meet you."

She smiled at him, but something about her demeanor seemed hesitant. "Likewise," she said softly, her lips lifting as she held out a plastic bag. "We brought desserts from Bassett Street."

Luke opened the door further, stepping aside to let them in. "We were just going to decide on what movie to watch, Calum and Sierra are both here already."

They entered the apartment, Kaykay staying close to Ashton's side. Luke watched her as she took in the apartment, perking up when she saw Calum standing against the wall. She tugged on Ashton's sleeve, gesturing with her head before she took off towards Calum.

Luke watched for a moment as she hugged the Maori boy in greeting, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. Were Ashton and Calum that serious that he'd already met the other's friends?

"Thanks for having us," Ashton smiled, pulling Luke's attention back to him. "Kay was a bit nervous to meet you, so I'm sorry if she seemed a bit closed off.

Luke's eyebrows furrowed quizzically as he turned back to face Calum and Kaykay. His best friend had a blush across his cheeks as Kaykay whispered something in his ear.

"Why would she be nervous to meet me?"

Ashton shrugged, "Calum talks so... highly of you. I'll admit I was a bit nervous to meet you myself. You're like some sort of deity the way he describes you," This caused Luke to blush and look away, "and anyways meeting the friends of your significant other is always a bit nerve wracking, isn't it?"

"Wait," Luke started, glancing back at Calum and Kaykay who were now curled up on the couch talking with Sierra, "so the three of you...?"

Ashton nodded as he looked over at the two fondly. "Yeah, at least I think so, Cal hasn't really... well anyways,. Kay and I've been together almost a year now, I introduced her to Cal a couple weeks ago." Ashton shrugged but then froze, the smile dropping from his face as a thought seemed to cross his mind.

"You don't have a problem with it, do you?" The real question was implied, and Luke shook his head quickly.

"No, no not at all I just- Calum never told me." Luke's look of surprise was mirrored on Ashton's for a fleeting second before he hid the hurt and shock behind a mask of cool understanding.

He sighed, nodding. "Well, I'm glad he's staying over tonight then, give you two a chance to talk and catch up."

"Yeah, definitely." Luke nodded as he glanced back over at Calum and Kaykay. He wanted to be happy for his best friend, and he was, but he also couldn't ignore the stab of betrayal he felt. How could Calum not tell him he was in a relationship? Luke wasn't sure how to feel about it. He knew they'd been a bit distant the last couple of weeks, but they still saw each other at least twice a week. Luke liked to think that was enough time to tell him something as big as this.

"Hey," Michael said as he came to stand next to Luke, wrapping an arm around his waist and pulling him from his thoughts. Ashton excused himself, slipping away to join Calum and Kaykay on the couch.

"Hey," Luke responded, his eyes still locked on where Kaykay had her head thrown back, laughing at a joke Calum just told. He looked so happy.

"You okay? You're a little stiff." Michael frowned as he rubbed his fingers into the base of Luke's spine. The tugging in his stomach persisted, but he brushed it aside for now, focused on having a fun evening with all of their friends.

Luke smiled, relaxing into Michael's hold. "Yeah, I'm good. Did you guys decide on a movie to watch?"

"Yeah, Si suggested Shawshank. That okay, Angel?"

Luke smiled, nestling into Michael's side and watching as all of their friends huddled around the laptop, boxes of their favorite takeout scattered around as the opening scenes of the movie began playing. His heart was so full seeing his apartment so full of love and friendship, and Luke hoped this was finally the start of a newer, happier chapter in his life.

"That sounds great." 

_______________________________

A/N: Even more fluff!! I promise there's drama coming but let the babies live in their happy bubble for a little longer 

How do we think the talk between Luke and Calum will go??? What about Luke overhearing Michael's phone call??? 

Would love to know what you think/predict will happen! As always if you enjoyed please vote comment and share! xoxo

-Emma

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Cover By Joanne

Fanfiction

10.3K 377 20
Michael has always been shy and timid. Not because he was abused at home or anything like that. In fact, he had very loving parents. Very rich, lovin...
4.7K 193 38
Everyone knew Luke's family was disgustingly wealthy. He never flaunted it but he knew people whispered about him regardless of his humbleness. Peopl...
941 93 37
"Mikey, you're awake." I say as I walk into his hospital room. I sit down on the bed and begin to talk. "I was worried that you we're going to be awa...
4.8K 255 14
When Luke finds a kitten outside of his apartment he can't help but to pick it up and bring it home when noticing how dirty the kitten looked. Before...