Love, Dad | Joe Cruz

By LexiWrites200

Being a firefighter is a dangerous job. Everyone knows this, no more than the men and women who do the job. B... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1: Three Months
Chapter 2: Candy Land
Chapter 3: The New Guy
Chapter 4: Pop The Question
Chapter 5: Say Yes
Chapter 6: Career Week
Chapter 7: A Bully
Chapter 8 PT1: Suspension
Chapter 8 PT2: Burning Couch
Chapter 9: A Drone Pilot
Chapter 10: Flash Back
Chapter 11: Firehouse 20
Chapter 12: Nick Porter
Chapter 13: A New Truck
Chapter 14: Gallo's Little Sister
Chapter 15: The First Letter
Chapter 16: Lily
Chapter 17: Double Digits
Chapter 19: A Cruz-Allen Wedding
Chapter 20: Finale

Chapter 18: Broken

608 20 1
By LexiWrites200

Tatiana sits across from Brett at the table as she eats her breakfast. She looks at the color swatches that Brett, and her bio mom, Julie were looking at. Cruz was at the counter writing the note for her lunch that he just finished packing.

"I like the yellow it's so warm and sunny for a nursery," Brett tells Julie smiling.

"Yellow was the color of my nursery. I've seen photos." Tatia says before taking a big spoonful of her cereal.

"Yeah but which yellow? Saffron ivory or magnolia summer bloom?" Jules asks looking at the two swatches. This catches Cruz's attention and hurries over to put in his two cents.

"Oh definitely saffron Ivory," Cruz says before walking back around the counter with his hands up in defense.

"I like that one." Tatiana points at the saffron ivory as she stands up with her bowl following Cruz around the counter.

"Oh, I wanted to ask you guys. So Scott gets here on Friday with the rest of our things and thought we'd celebrate the move to Chicago with a dinner out. Any suggestions?"

"Alfonzo's on rush great Italian," Cruz says walking around the counter once again. "Tots remember to give this to your teacher it's important." He hands her a filled-out excusal form. To get her the day before his wedding off. He's getting married on a Saturday but he wants her to spend one last full shift at the firehouse before everything at home changes.

"Yup."

"I'd do Gibson's best steak in the city and that's saying something. " Foster says going to the counter.

"There's also Swift & Sons I love that place. " Brett shrugs.

"Oh guys we have to hit the road or we're gonna be late for shift and school." Cruz says putting his backpack on. Tatiana does the same before making sure to pick the excusal form back up. Brett stands up grabbing her bag as she does so.

"Well thank you guys for the coffee and the advice."

"Of course." Brett smiles handing her mom her jacket. Tatia follows Cruz to the door to slide her sneakers on.

"Don't do Alfonzo's Cruz as really wonky taste in fine dining." Foster teases walking backward toward the door.

"Hey, I heard that!"

"What? " Foster laughs as she walks out the door.

"She's not wrong." Tatia giggles as she follows the other women out of the apartment.

---Later At school---

Like most kids, recess is Tatiana's favorite part of the school day. It's one of the few times of the day she sees Annabelle. Tatiana sits on top of the monkey bars Kenny was at the bottom trying to climb up and Annabelle went to the water fountain.

"Here move I'll help you up," Tatiana says directing him out of the way. He moves and she goes to jump down. She lands but loses her balance falling forward onto her hands and knees. Her left arm lets out with a crack. She lets out a scream that stops everyone on the playground. A teacher runs over and flips her over on her back before looking at her arm that was bent weirdly. Luckily there was not a bone sticking out of it.

"Go get the nurse!" She shoos Kenny who had been staring at her arm back to class. Annabelle tries to run over but teachers were already dragging the other kids inside for early lunch.

The nurse makes it outside just minutes later. She decides the best option is to call Cruz and get her to a hospital. So she calls an ambulance while the teacher calls Cruz. The vice principal waits at the front of the school for them.

Brett and Foster show up 15 minutes later. Cruz followed them having gotten his call just before the bells went off. He helps them with their bags and follows the man he recognizes as the vice principal to the playground. He runs over to where he sees her propped up against the monkey bars. Her sobs have turned into sniffles.

"Hey, Tots Brett and Foster are going to get you fixed up and taken to med."

"This isn't a squad call. Shouldn't you be at something cooler?" Tatiana mumbles looking at him.

"Severide loaned me out to 61 so I can check on you."

"You got demoted." She giggles as Foster and Brett kneel next to her.

"Tatia what happened?"

"I was sitting on the monkey bars waiting for Annie to come back but Kenny wanted me to show him how to get up there and when I went to get down my hand slipped and fell on my leg and then lost my balance and fell."

"Okay, Tati. This is going to hurt but we need to bend it back into place. Cruz Hold her hand." Brett says in a soft voice as Joe grabs Tatia's good hand and tells her to look at him.

"Imma tell Severide to not demote you... You're so much cooler as a-" She cuts herself off with a scream as Foster puts her arm back into place.

"Okay, Tati we're going to splint it and get you to med now." Emily says with a calm tone grabbing the splint. Tatiana was sobbing into Cruz's work shirt.

"I got you Mija," Joe whispers. The split is put on and Joe helps her stand before looking at the teacher and nurse.

"Can you let Annabelle and Kenny Herrmann know Tatiana will be okay? I don't want them to be too worried. " Joe tells them before hurrying off with the others. He helps her into the ambo before him and Foster climbs into the back with her. They make it to med a few minutes and Maggie sends her to a room with Halstead.

"Hey, Little Otis been a while," Halstead says walking in and putting gloves on. He's been calling Tatiana Little Otis since he met her 5 years ago. When she insisted she had to see Herrmann after he got stabbed. Then she frequented med as the others of 51 got injured. "Let's get an X-Ray done and see how bad it is." He steps back and lets the X-ray be taken.

"I need my hand for Uncle Joe and Chloe's wedding. I'm the flower girl I'm very important." She tells him as he looks at the results.

"Well, I can see what I can do Tatia." Will says, "Okay Cruz come here and look at this." He points at the X-ray.

"This is a monteggia fracture where the ulna is fractured and the radius is dislocated. It a simple surgery and cast to fix it."

"Uh then let's do the surgery and get this kid back to climbing on monkey bars." Cruz smiles squeezing Tatia's feet and looking over at her.

"And throwing flowers! My job is important Chloe said so." Tatia says.

"We know. Don't worry kiddo you'll be good to go into for the wedding." Will smiles, "I'll be back in a second to take her up to surgery.

She gets taken back not too long after Will leaves. Cruz calls chief first to give them an update and ask for shift off. He also found out Kelly left for an OFI thing so squad was down two guys and it was a little late to get floaters. So he agreed to continue with shift as long as squad could hang out at med waiting for calls just until she wakes up. He also calls Chloe so Tatiana isn't alone when he's on calls. He plans on returning to the firehouse after she wakes up he just didn't want to leave without explaining himself why. Being desperate causes Chief to agree though he didn't want to make Joe work when he should be comforting Tatiana.

Chloe shows up at the hospital a half hour after he calls. She brings coffee for the three men and herself. At this point, Brett and Foster were off on another call so it was just squad three sitting in the waiting room discussing varying topics.

"How's she doing?"

"Still in surgery, Halstead said it was a monteggia fracture. So she should be out in an hour or two. He said depending on swelling she should be casted in a few days but definitely before the wedding. She'll have a splint though so I think I'll keep her home from school till it's casted so it can't be made worse." Cruz says as Tony moves from his seat next to Cruz to next to Capp so Chloe can sit with her fiance.

"Okay well, I got you all coffee from the coffee cart on my way in." Chloe hold out the coffee carrier in front of Capp who sat in the middle and they each grabbed one.

They sit there waiting for another hour and a half. Capp and Tony having a debate over whether or not cereal is a soup. Chloe and Cruz discuss last-minute wedding things as well as how Tati will be the flower girl without the use of her left arm. Which luckily isn't her dominant hand so they figure she could just hang the basket on that arm and toss them with the other. Halstead walks out and comes over to them with a smile.

"She is out of surgery and is waking up. You can head on in. Try not to crowd the room she still needs rest but there are only four of you so you're fine. Now we did put her arm in a splint and she can go home tomorrow. The swelling in her arm isn't super bad so we may be able to cast it tomorrow or the day after." Will tells them, they stand up and he shows them to her room.

"Uncle Joe." She mumbles sleepily when the four adults enter the room.

"Hey Mija how are you feeling?" He leans on her bed, Chloe on the other side with Capp and Tony at the end of it.

"Tired. Will I still be able to be the flower girl?"

"Yes, you will."

"Good."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.1K 628 29
Co-Writer: @BrooklynDaniels32 Alexa Hotchner worked in Quantico Virginia for almost 3 years as a Paramedic before the unspeakable murder of her mom...
233K 3.6K 43
Moving from Madrid to Chicago and starting as a paramedic at firehouse 51, all Liz Severide wants is two things: leave her old life behind and stay a...
55K 731 16
What if Hank Voight's wife wasn't dead? What if Camille was actually Hank's sister? What if Intelligence had not one, but two Sergeants? This 2nd Se...
8K 299 26
Things are going haywire in New York. Detective Olivia Benson is nowhere to be found and her team is scrambling around to find her before it's too la...