A Raven's Blessing | Vax'ilda...

Autorstwa red_amadeus

"I don't know if I believe in the gods...but I believe in you, Vax." Athena never had it easy growing up in T... Więcej

Character Information
Prologue: Part 1
Prologue: Part 2
Season 1
The Terror of Tal'Dorei: Part 1
The Terror of Tal'Dorei: Part 2
The Feast of Realms
Shadows at the Gates
Fate's Journey
Spark of Rebellion
Scanbo
A Silver Tongue
The Tide of Bone
Depths of Deceit
Whispers at the Ziggurat
Season 2
Rise of the Chroma Conclave
The Trials of Vasselheim
The Sunken Tomb
Those Who Walk Away
Pass Through Fire
Into Rimecleft
The Fey Realm
Echo Tree
The Scales of Order
The Killbox
Belly of the Beast
The Hope Devourer
Author's Note/Update

The Darkness Within

3.2K 81 13
Autorstwa red_amadeus

Warnings: Strong and Sexual Language; Violence, Gore & Death. Mentions of Abuse and  Percy's scene trying to pull the trigger on himself is also present here like in the show- reader's discretion is advised in this chapter. 

"Athena, wake up. Athena! No," Vax cried out. Tears collected in his eyes as the necrotic damage continued to spread throughout her body.  

"An elixir. Try this. Quickly." Vex handed him the bottle from her pouch. He poured the contents into her mouth but the black veins continue to climb up her face.

"It's not working. We're losing her!" The group could watch on as the life drained from their friend. 

"The Whispered One did not return. We failed. It was too soon," Delilah groaned in pain.

"There's nothing to be done. Athena is gone. But at least we have what we came for," Percy stated, placing his gun against Delilah's temple.  

"The fuck are you talking about?! Athena is still breathing!" Vex shouted at him. 

"Something's not right," Keyleth said. She limped over to Athena, holding out her hand. She expected her glow in its usual green hue but nothing happened.   

"Uh, let me try, uh...," Scanlan strummed his lute, "Scanlan's hand." Only a faint flicker of purple magic appeared before disappearing. "The elixir, my spell, Keyleth's... that thing must be blocking all magic," he said pointing towards the spinning orb.

"Damn it, he's right. Away from the orb!" Vex ordered.  

"We're not done with you yet," Cassandra spat as she grabbed Delilah by her hair dragging her as they left the ziggurat. 

Vax carried Athena down the steps of the ziggurat. All he could think about was her. However, Vax had limited amounts of strength. Sweat formed along his brow as he panted from exertion. He took a knee to the ground lowering her body on it to regain his strength. 

"Hey," Grog picked up Athena from his arm situating her in his own, "Easy, I got her from here."

"Thank you, Grog." 

"She would do the same for all of us," he replied. They finally entered back into the purification room except now they wouldn't be trapped with acid.

"Okay, wait-wait-wait, hold up, hold up," Scanlan cried, " Scanlan's hand." A small purple hand appeared, giving a thumbs up. "Yes! We got magic." Vax placed his cloak on the ground as Grog sat Athena down on it.

"Vex, another elixir!" he motioned behind him. Athena's pupils were fully clouded over with black veins spreading up to her temples. "I need it, hurry!" he turned back to Vex who was frantically searching in her pouch.

"There's just, there's no more," Vex teared up. 

Vax looked to Keyleth, "Do you have any more of that-that herb or anything!," he begged. 

"I don't--," Keyleth sobbed out, tears pouring down her own face, "I used it all on Cassandra." 

Vax turned back to her, "Athena..." He could no longer hold back his tears as they streamed down his face. He knelt down to her forehead, "I'm sorry I didn't take you to see the sunrise, my love." He placed a kiss on her temple, his tears falling onto her face. He let out his sobs as he cradled her hand to his chest. 

"Brother. I'm so sorry," Vex said as tears went down her own cheeks. Keyleth was also sobbing as well, placing her hand on her mouth to muffle the cries. Both Grog and Scanlan were barely keeping it together. Even under the possession, Percy's heart sank in his chest that she was gone.   

---------------------------------------------

(This section will contain mentions of abuse-discretion is advised.)

Athena gasped as she awoke. The light was almost blinding her eyes.

"Vex?" she called as quickly rose her chest up.

Everyone was gone.

There was no Delilah, corpse-filled wall, or green lightning. Athena was alone with only an iron floor below her.

"Hello!" she shouted. She examined her body. She was expecting the wound where the blast hit her body but it wasn't there. Her armor was now intact as if it has never been in a battle. She stood up looking around the white landscape.

"Anyone!"

She took a few steps forward but clearly had no real direction to go. This was not what she had anticipated the afterlife to be like if she had died. So she had no running explanations for where she was currently.

She turned her head, looking for anything. Her eyes met what seemed the tiniest brown dot in the distance against the white. She ran towards it, hoping that it wasn't in her imagination.

The dot grew in size as she ran towards it. Its shape change to a rectangular form of a door. Athena halted a few feet from the door. The wood was darkened with stains dotting across the door. The knob was worn down, the metal deforesting and dented in several places. Athena's breathed hitched.

She knew this door.

She places her hand on the knob, it slightly shaking. She took in a deep breath turning the knob, the door creaked as it opened. She took a step inside and looked at the familiar stone walls. Two bare beds were placed on the sides of the small room. Her room.

A girl knelt by the bed, her black hair pulled up in a small bun. Her body was covered in red, freak marks that pike through her clothing. She was clutching a small pendant with a scale engraved in the metal. Her hands pressed together as she muttered a prayer.

"Divine Lawbearer, may your will shine on all civilizations. Your humble servant asks for your guidance and strength."

Athena stepped closer to the girl, a sadness emerged on her own face.

"Please, I beg you Goddess to help us," the girl whispered. "These people are forcing us to do unspeakable things. Please help us, I can't watch them hurt him again...," a few tears fell down her cheeks, "they are hurting him now. He does not deserve this, please my goddess help us."

Athena instinctively reached out to comfort her, but her hand phased through her. The door suddenly opened causing a gasp to come from the girl. A teenage half-orc boy walked seeing her and the position she was in. He quickly shut the door.

"Hey!" he whispered, "You shouldn't be doing that now. They could come in at any moment."

The girl hastily put the pendent in her pillowcase before running up and pulling the boy into a hug. Soft whimpers could be heard coming from her. He had new bruises across his arms before they disappeared into the sleeve of his gray shirt.

"Hey now. I'm okay," he returned the hug. The two stood there for a moment until she had calmed down.

"I thought they were going to something worse this time and I didn't know what to do, so I was praying for help."

"Ahh...it wasn't that bad this time. Didn't even draw any blood," he chuckled trying to relive her tension.

"That isn't comforting at all."

"Yeah, I know. But look I managed to swap this for us," he brought out a small loaf of bread from his pocket. He broke it in half and an aroma filled the air. There were brown swirls in the bread with purple dots shattering throughout it.

"What is it?"

"Cinnamon-raisin bread. I remember my mom making this for me before they came to...," he paused thinking of the sad memory. "The top dogs here are always eating these types of fancy stuff. I think we deserve a piece of it."

"Won't they know that it is missing?"

"Probably not. They had so much food being prepared. Must have a special client coming. But you know what today is?" The girl shook her head.

"Your birthday."

"But I don't even know when my birthday is. How would you know?" she chuckled softly.

"You're right but today is the day that I first met you so I have dubbed it your birthday so..." he handed her half of the loaf "...happy birthday Athena."

The younger version of herself took the bread and took a bite out of it. The flavor made her smile happily as the other boy took a bite out of his own. A tear went down Athena's face at the memory as she look at the pair.

"Athena!"

Her face perked up at the sound of her name. She swore she recognized the voice.

"Wake up, Athena!"

"Vax," she gasped. She ran, phasing through the two, as she stepped out into white terrain once more.

"Vax! Where are you?" She frantically turned about where she stood. The door had now disappeared as well leaving her alone once more. She made another turn and the landscape drastically changed. Iron pillars stood tall in two parallel lines around her. In front of her was a thorn made of those same types of pillars.

But a figure was sitting on the throne.

The figure was outfitted in stainless metal armor the light gleamed off. Intricate gold details adored the armor. Dark blue cloth was in the place of wear the armor didn't protect rounding up to form a hood on the figure. The figure appeared to be feminine in nature but of course, she couldn't be sure if it was. Athena couldn't make out the expression the figure had.

"Who are you?!" Athena shouted. The figure tilted their head slightly.

"You know the answer to that question."

Athena's breathed hitched. A lump formed in her throat as she stared at the figure.

"Then why have you brought me here?"

The figure rose up from their sit before taking steps towards her. Athena tried to move her feet but the muscles in her body cease their functions. The figure stood a foot away from her. She was immensely taller than Athena and her skin was light brown in its tone. Her face though was still obscured from her view.

"I did not. You brought yourself here. So ask the question you really want to ask."

"Why now?" her lip quivered. The figure raised her head slightly. "Why not all the other times I asked for your help...begged for it for us? Why did you abandon us?"

"I do not abandon my children. But I'm afraid that sometimes they are surrounded by forces that I cannot attend with from this plane."

"What do you mean?" Before she could answer her question, Athena's body began to disappear, her form fading in and out.

"We do not have time to discuss now. I must send you back before your current mortal state becomes permanent. But know this, I have always watched you, Athena. Continue to protect your friends."

She placed two of her fingers on her temple, and a bright light emerged from the spot encasing her entire body. Her vision became clear until nothing appeared in front of her.

————————————————————

The group was in a frozen state of mourning over their dear friend. Vex knew that this was going to break Vax. She felt so terrible awful for all the things that she said about their relationship when technically there wasn't one when she said them. She made him happy. That's all she should have cared about. 

What she should've admitted was how much of an impact Athena had on her. Vex actually trusted everyone in their group despite what she said a few days ago. Besides her brother, she really trusted Athena most of all. She was just afraid. Stupidly so for no reason. 

Athena saved her life and she could never repay her for it.  

Vax stared at Athena. He didn't know what to do. It felt like his world had stopped with her. She deserved happiness. The plane had given her nothing and yet she turned out so beautiful like a diamond under pressure. He felt nothing now.

As he continued looking at her, a faint golden glow began to come from the initial wound in her chest. Vax's eyes grew wide as they brighten and grew. The rest of them let out a gasp at the sight of the miracle occurring before their eyes.  

Meanwhile, Cassandra and Percy sat Delilah up against the pit. "You controlled me for years. Now it's your turn to suffer. What was the ritual meant to do? Answer me!" Cassandra shouted. Delilah just spit blood in her face. 

"I only answer to the Whispered One. But he denied me. Abandoned me." 

"I'll gladly send you to him," Percy said raising his gun, smoke coiling around the weapon.

"Go ahead. You've taken my husband and any hope of getting him back. What more could I lose? End me." 

"No," Percy slipped on the mask, "Your pain will linger. I'll shatter your ankles for my sister Vesper. Your hands belong to Julius. Each de Rolo will have their pound of flesh until I flay the skin from what's left of you." He grabbed the top of Delilah's head, placing his gun on her mouth.

"Oh, okay, Percy, taking this a little far," Scanlan walked over to him, "Hey, why don't you just lower the..." The smoke around Percy gathered and hit Scanlan, knocking him across the room. Cassandra ran over to him to help him up. 

"The fuck?" Grog said. Percy pushed Delilah onto the ground as he held himself above her. Tears were coming down her face.

"Your suffering will be merely a taste of the pain you inflicted upon my family." Percy stood up as a demonic erupted from him. 

"The smoke. It's even worse," Cassandra said. 

"It's some sort of curse," Keyleth stated. 

"Pike felt something clouding his soul. I thought she meant he was just depressed," Scanlan remembered.  

"Something has possession of you!" Vex yelled at him.

"And we are better for it." 

"We? What? Percy!" 

"That's not Percy."

"Athena?" Vax gasped. The color was returning to her face and the veins were retreating back down to the original wound. 

She pointed above Percy, "It's a demon. Look." The presence above roared as it went back into the mask. Vax carefully helped Athena sit up.

"Holy shit. How?" Vex exclaimed. 

"If it gets what it wants, Percy will be gone and replaced by him." 

"Vex'ahlia, what are you doing?"

Vex stepped in front of Delilah, blocking his shot at her.  

"Step aside." Percy raised his gun at her.

"You're going to shoot me, too?" 

"If we must." 

"I know you're in there." Percy's hand was shaking as Vex reached out, "Darling, take off the mask." She placed his cheek, slipped off the mask, tossing it to the ground. Percy was whimpering as tears streamed down his cheeks.  

"It's all right," she placed her hand on top of his hand holding the gun, "You can put it down."

"It... it won't let me." His arm shook as his finger itched to pull the trigger. He pulled away from her placing the gun under his own chin. 

"Don't do it!" 

"Percy. You can't!" Cassandra yelled. 

"I don't know what else to do!" He tried pulling the trigger but the demon used the smoke to pull against him. 

"No! No!" 

The demon took possession of Percy, the dark eyes returning to him. It forced Percy to the floor, contorting his body. Percy let out a scream as the smoke formed the demonic figure above him.  

"Nope. Do not like," Grog stated. 

"Everyone get back," Vax told them. Athena stood up on her feet. While her energy was a little drained, she felt surprising well for almost dying. Percy moved at a fast speed, grabbing Vex and pinning her to the purifier. 

"Sister!" Vax shouted as he pulled out his daggers.

"Don't hurt him," Keyleth held out her hand in front of him, "He's not in control."

"Fuck that, he's got Vex."

"That thing can't bleed, but Percy can. If it's inside his mind, his soul, only he can stop it." 

"We'll buy time then," Athena said grabbing her sword from the ground. Vax was about to protest but she stopped him. "I'm fine, I promised," she smiled at him as she ready her sword in her hands. Vax returned the smile to her. 

"Oi, keep him from killing Delilah!" 

"Piece of cake," Scanlan sarcastically mumbled as he brought up his lute, "Scanlan's hand!" The hand appeared grabbing Delilah and dragging her across the room. Percy let out a few bullets at her but they all missed as Scanlan brought Delilah to him.  

"She belongs to me!" Percy shouted as he fired a bullet at Scanlan. Grog held his axe in front of Scanlan blocking the bullet which bounced off the metal. The rest of them stood around Scanlan and Delilah.

"Shall I take over?" 

Percy let out a grunt and held his hands to his face, "No. No!" 

"I'm afraid I must."

"Percy!" Athena cried out as he screamed out.  

"I'll kill you. I'll kill you all!" Percy began to fire upon them forcing them to scatter. Grog was knocked back by the smoke 

"Goody," he grunted pulling out Sylas' sword, "Now I get to use my new toy."

"Wait, Grog! You can't." Keyleth yelled at him. 

"I was only gonna chop him a little," he pouted.  

"Let her go!" he shouted as shot at Scanlan who was hovering over the ground thanks to his purple hand, "Cassandra!" Scanlan yelped as a bullet passed by him. "Cassandra!" 

"Stop. Not again. Not again! I won't let you take them!" 

Percy kept firing bullets at them as they hid behind some of the empty carts. He was clearly seeing some illusions in his mind believing them to be the enemy. Athena crouched down to Vex, Keyleth, and Cassandra as she felt a pain in her chest. Resendule pain from the wound. Vex held her arm as he looked at her with concern.  

"I'm fine. Just some backlash from earlier. Pain though means I'm alive." 

"So we just wait for him to kill us?" Vax asked as he jumped behind the cart joining them.

"He has to reload eventually. Right?" Vex questioned. Grog went behind Percy pinning him against his body to stop him from moving. 

"I'm sorry, Mother!" He slammed Grog back into the purifier causing him to release him. He shot at Grog a few times until one of the bullets hit him in the shoulder. 

"Fuck, that burns," Grog exclaimed as he hid behind the tower.

"Listen to us! You must fight this!" Vex yelled as Percy approached them. The demon's full form was present above his body. Scanlan punched the demon with his magic hand causing it to roar out. 

"Fight. Yes." Percy zoomed over Scanlan placing the gun at his head.  

"Yes. One well-placed shot and the pain disappears." 

"Fight it!"

"Vex?" His moment of clarity didn't seem to last long as began rapidly firing in all directions.

Vex grabbed Cassandra by her shirt, "You're not under a charm anymore, damn it. Do something!"

"Against a demon? What?"

"You're his sister. He believes that you are endangered. Reach him," Athena said. Cassandra let out a sigh as she stood up. 

"Percival! I know you. This isn't who you are!" 

"It's who I want to be." 

"Yes, hate feels good," she walked toward him, "It drowns the pain. I've seen how easily it consumes you."

"It's all I have left." Percy raised the gun at her. 

"If you reclaim yourself, you won't hurt the ones you love. Find the real Percy within. Find my brother." 

"Cassandra?" 

"I'm here for you." 

"We all are," Vex stated as they all stood beside Cassandra. The barrel of the gun turned, their names being added to the List.

"You. You did this to me. And you'll pay!" he shouted, the smoke knocking them all back. Delilah was crawling away from the scene, a blood trail behind. Percy went beside her, pointing his gun down at her. 

"The time has come. Fire the weapon. Be at peace." 

"Wait! Please, Percy. Don't forfeit your own soul," Vex begged. He looked around at all of his friends who looked on at him, hoping he would come back to them. 

"You know who to trust, Percival." 

"Yes. I do......... I won't let you!" Percy roared. 

"No!"

Percy shot through his own hand, blood spattered across the room as he screamed from the pain. The demon screeched as it formed an orb above him before exploding outwards. Percy groaned as Cassandra ran up to him.

"Percy? Say something. Is it you?" she asked as ripped some cloth off of her shirt, wrapping his hand. 

"I'm afraid so. Well, most of me anyway."

"You shot me!" Grog exclaimed as Cassandra and Vex helped him stand up. 

"Yes, well, thank you for not dying." 

"Yeah, you're welcome," Grog smugly replied. 

"So, that was the most fucked-up thing I've ever seen... and I hang out with Scanlan," Vex stated. The moment was interrupted by Delilah laughing maniacally. 

"How fitting. Even in your moment of triumph, you still managed to fall short."

"What?" Cassandra said. 

"You had the chance to kill me and you failed miserably. It shouldn't surprise me, though. You're as spineless as your parents." Cassandra took a step forward but Percy placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Sylas is gone. I know that suffering. Losing one's family is a wound that cannot be mended." 

"At least he saw the sunlight one last time," Cassandra stated. 

"I knew we saved the wrong de Rolo. But it matters not. You may have stopped me today. The Whispered One will finish what we began," she stood up with a hand behind her back, "And when he returns, cities will fall, titans will rise, rivers will flow with the blood of..."

She went to strike them but Cassandra took out her rapier and sent it through her neck. Delilah began to choke as Cassandra pushed it through. Blood poured from the wound as she gurgled from the blood. Cassandra sliced the weapon through the side causing Delilah to fall to the ground, blood pooling around her. Cassandra walked back, stopping at her brother's side.

"I'm glad you forgave her, brother. But I cannot." She walked past him, sheathing the rapier, the blood still on it. Grog picked up Delilah's body tossing it into the acid pit. It sizzled as it sank into the toxic substance. 

"Everyone ready?" Vex asked. 

"What? You mean we have to leave this delightful place?" Vax sarcastically retorted as he helped Athena stand. After almost dying and fleeing from a possessed Percy, she was worn out. Percy went to go pick up his gun but Scanlan beat him to it.

"Ah, da-da-da-da. I don't think so, buddy." (

Percy laughed, "Regardless of its origin, it can still prove to be an effective weapon."

"What? Are you forgetting the smoke and the whole "I'm insane with vengeance" thing?"

"The demon is gone, Scanlan. The curse is lifted." 

Scanlan sighed, "Yeah, maybe you're... Nah." He tossed to the acid pit as Percy shouted. 

"No! You know how much that cost? How bloody long it will take me to make ano...," a mini version of the demon covered in acid screeched as it sizzled away in the acid. The entire group turned to Percy.  

"Well, I'll be damned. Thank you, Scanlan. All of you. For this second chance." Cassandra grabbed his hand giving him a smile as they headed toward the exit. 

"Hey, how'd you know that demon was still in there?" Athena asked as Vax and her walked by Scanlan. 

"Total guess," he said with a smug. Athena and Vax let a much-needed chuckle.

Back in the sunlight on the surface of Whitestone, many of the citizens were clearing all the undead burning them in piles. Keeper Yennan was directing all of them and seemed to be in one piece. 

"Thank you. You saved Whitestone. We're in your debt, Vox Machina." the townspeople shouted at them as they cleared the way. Athena had enough strength now that she walking on her own next to Vax who was there just in case she needed it. 

"W-What do we do?" Keyleth asked at the sudden attention they were receiving. 

"Just nod and smile, Kiki," Vex whispered to her before returning to her normal volume, "Of course. Our pleasure. It was nothing, nothing at all." 

"Huh? Oh, hello, handsome," Scanlan murmured as he spot a tall male with sweat dripping down his muscles, "Scanlan Shorthalt, rebel leader. Yeah, you've probably heard of me. Anyway, I may need a bed tonight. You see, freedom-fighting is tiring work. So I was just wondering if maybe..."

Scanlan yelped as Vax grabbed him by his lute on his back, "These people just survived the apocalypse, Scanlan. They don't need your gonorrhea." 

"Oh, hello, Mr. Giant. I see you!" Grog giggled as he grabbed an eyeball from one of the dead giants.

As Percy was having a discussion with his sister, Athena stood at the base of the Sun Tree. Vedmire's body still hung from one of its limbs. She heard someone clear their throat, turning her attention to them. Vax stood beside her.  

"I, uh... I meant what I said yesterday. I didn't say it because we were going to die. I truly meant it." Athena smiled at his words but a frown quickly took its place as she look at the ground.  

"I know you did Vax. And I...," Athena smiled at his words but a frown quickly took its place as she look at the ground. "Are you sure you even want someone like me?"

"What?" Vax was shocked at what she said.

"Well, I wouldn't make a good partner for someone, especially you who deserves the best. I have like over 20 years of training that's made me into an emotionless weapon. Thanks to you all, I'm starting to be a person again, but are you sure you want to be with someone like that?"  

Vax gently grabbed her chin with his fingers forcing her to look at him, "Listen to me The. You are the most caring, smartest, bravest, and kindest person I have ever met. You have sacrificed yourself for us time and time again even for my sister. I can never thank you enough for what you have done. Meeting you has been one of the best moments of my life. I love all of you. Both the good and not-so-pretty parts. You hear me? I would be the most honored man to be able to love a person like you if you have me. Want me."

 Athena couldn't explain but a few tears fell down her cheeks. Vax brushed them away with his thumb. She took a deep breath as she took Vax's hand from her face. 

"You know that I know nothing about romance at all, right? Like nothing at all. Never felt anything like this and I can't even explain it yet"

"Yes."

"I have a feeling I am going to be a slow learner at this," she sighed.

"I will wait as long as it takes if you will have me at your side." Vax looked down at her with his eyes conveying how serious he was in the moment but also how gently he was handling her questioning.

"I would be honored to have you there," she said as the two of them let out smiles at each other. Vax grabbed both her hands holding them in his own. 

"So what happens now?" she asked.

"Can I do something?" Athena nodded her head. "Close your eyes."

Athena did as he instructed as she stood waiting for whatever was about to occur. Vax let go of one of her hands. Instead, placing it on her cheek. She slightly shudder at the touch as she wasn't expecting it. 

What she really wasn't expecting was the feeling on her lips.

It was like a warm, soft pillow was placed on them. She opened her eyes to find Vax's lips on hers, his eyes closed as well. She stepped back from the shock and her face turned immediately red.

"I'm sorry, I-I-I wasn't expecting that," she shuttered as she turned her head away to avoid looking at his face. 

Vax let out a chuckle as he stepped to her, bending down to her ear.

"There will be more than that in the future," he whisperingly teased. At this point, her entire face was the color of a tomato. 

"I'm going to go wait with the others now," she quickly stammered out before high tailing it to the rest of the group. Vax couldn't help but smile at her reaction. Gosh, he loved her. 

Athena caught to a conversation that the group was having with Keeper Yennan about the orb. Vex looked at her with concern at the state of her face until she saw her brother walking to them with the biggest smile on his face. She let out a small chuckle before pulling Athena toward her.

"She almost died not too long ago, brother. Don't try to kill her again," Vex gave him an eye. 

"Don't worry stubby, we are taking it at our pace. There's no killing yet," he smirked. Vex made a displeasing face as the redness in Athena's face began to subside.

"What does that mean?" Athena whispered to Vex, confused by the lingo.

"Oh, nothing at all. Don't worry darling." 

"So, we stickin' around awhile or what?" Scanlan got up from his sitting position on the tree, "I could get used to being a hero." 

"We need to report to Emon before Uriel's men find us and drag us back," Vax went back to his usual expression. 

"Really, brother? We could just..."

"Run?," he laughed a bit, "I think we're done with that. Besides, you need to get punched in the face now and then... to know you're alive."

"Right. I'll find us some horses," Grog stretched out, standing up. 

"Oh, uh, actually... I might be able to get us home a little quicker," Keyleth called down from the Sun Tree before sliding down to meet them.

"Oh, what'd you have in mind, green?" Scanlan asked. 

"Well, there's this tree spell. But, well, it only works on trees I've seen before, and they have to be alive, and also I have to be strong enough, and I think I can only do it, like, once a day, so," she panicked, "You know what, just forget I brought it up," she frowned.  

Vex placed her hand on her shoulder, "Darling. You've got this." 

"Right. Yeah. Uh, totally. Thanks, Vex," she blushed from the praise. She walked up to the base of the tree, placing her hand on the roots, "Sun Tree. Talk to me." 

Percy looked up at the tree with a smile as leaves sprout from the once-dead limbs. His home was coming back together after so many years.

"Aren't trees just the best?" Keyleth chuckled as she brought up her staff. The crystal glowed as she opened her arms. The bark of the tree pulled apart with a green glow coming from the hole. 

"Whoa. I think I peed a little," Grog gasped. 

"Sure did, buddy," Scanlan stated.

"Uh, guys? I kinda can't hold this for too long."

"Right, everybody in!" Vax called as he ran forward. 

The rest ran forward through the portal, Grog laughing along the way. The portal took them back to the tree beside their keep over. Pike greeted them at the gate, running up to Athena and giving her a hug. Athena was shocked but, as she now knew, she gladly returned the hug. Vex and Percy went to write a message to Allura and Uriel about their evidence while everyone else decided it was best to finally rest and sleep. 

Just before dawn, Athena got up and dressed in her unarmored day clothes, heading outside. A gentle breeze wafted through the air resulting in the aroma of the fields filling her nose. She walked up to the base of the tree, taking a sit with a view of the current dark horizon. As she sat there waiting, she heard the grass crunch down beside causing her to turn her head.

"I thought we said we would watch the sunrise together," Vax pointed out as he took a sit next to her. 

"Oh, I didn't want to wake you. You deserved a long rest." Vax took the hand closest to him in his own. A blush appeared on Athena's cheeks.

"Lesson #1: You can always wake me up. Especially for things like this that are important to you. Though I may not guarantee I will be the happiest camper at first when you do," they both chuckled. Orange rays began to appear on the horizon. Athena let out a gasp as the sun rose, lighting up the valley in beautiful colors. 

"Was it everything you hoped for?" Vax asked.

"Definitely."

After a while, the two of them headed back inside. Most of the group was awake now. Vax went over to his sister and Trinket who was getting lots of love now from them being gone. Grog was trying to place the broken door to the kitchen back on but fell through hitting his foot. 

"Ow!" he groaned, "I hate doors."

"I gotcha, buddies," Pike ran over healing his foot.

"Aw, thanks, Pikey!" Grog squealed pulling her into a tight hug.  

"Okay. I can't really breathe so..." Pike grunted from hold. 

"Ha ha! My masterpiece is complete!" Scanlan exclaimed as rushed into the room, "The epic story of our adventure. The dragon, the vampires, the cyclops I vanquished." 

"What cyclops?" Vax teased. 

"Oh, I may have taken some artistic license."

Percy chuckled as he entered the room, "Wonderful, Scanlan. Looking forward to reading it." ( 

"Read it?" he scoffed, "This tale is far too great for a lousy book. No, our legend shall be told... In song." This caused everyone to groan. 

"Yes!" Grog exclaimed. 

"Sit down, my friends. And I'll start rockin' ya. With the epic legend of..."

"Vox Machina!" the heard someone call out from the entrance. They walked out into the hallway to find Jarett standing there. 

"Excellent timing, Jarett," Vax complimented. 

"The Sovereign has summoned you to the Cloudtop."

"What? Like, now?" Vex asked. Jarett pointed behind causing them all to groan but nevertheless, they went with him. A crowd was gathered at the base of the palace. Gilmore was chatting with people in the crowd until he spotted them. 

"Vax'ildan!" he exclaimed hugging the half-elf, " Glad to see you alive and with all your... extremities intact." 

"Looking sharp, Gilmore, as always."

"Oh, this old thing?" he smirked as he used a bit of magic flare to spruce it up. 

"Any idea what all this fuss is about?" 

"The criers said Sovereign Uriel is to make a proclamation. Seems juicy; the whole council showed up."  

Uriel and the council stood atop some steps with a podium placed in front of Uriel.

"Friends. In recent weeks, Tal'Dorei has been beset by evil, wearing the faces of monsters and men. I relied on my best judgment to meet these threats. But sadly, that judgment was greatly corrupted. The truth is, I allowed strangers into our midst, entrusting them with power they never should have had. Vox Machina...," The group gasped, "Saved us from this threat...," they all breathed a relieved sigh, ".. yet again. They showed me that the wisdom of a group, no matter how unconventional, outweighs that of the individual. There is foresight in friendship. My weakness put the realm in jeopardy. But never again. And so, with humility, I hereby renounce the throne and cede the government to the Council of Tal'Dorei."

The crowd gasped as murmuring spread about like wildfire. Vox Machina was a bit taken aback by the sudden decree. 

These wise patriots shall ensure that Emon stands forever. Now, in addition to the council members you already know, we will be adding a few more."

Vex began to hear a high-pitched ringing in her head as she groaned out in pain.

"Vex, are you all right?" Vax grabbed onto her.

"Specifically, pillars of the community who have held up...," Uriel was interrupted as a bell began to toll in the distance. 

"An attack?" Athena gasped recognizing the sound. In the distance, the form of four dragons appeared descending from the sunset. 

"Gods above us...," Uriled murmured. The group turned, looking at the massive forms of the dragons. 

"No," Keyleth gasped. 

The dragon hissed as they circled the sky. The largest dragon, who was red in color, let out a fiery roar upon them. 

The Chroma Conclave was here.

---------------------------------------

Woo-hoo made it to the end of season 1! And Vax and Athena are a couple. Of course, they will have their bumps in the road as most couples do especially with Matron involved.

Hope you all enjoyed the chapter, its a long one but you guys deserved it!

Thank you all so much for the support so far! I appreciate you all so much and it is an honor to write this book for us all!

We will jump into season 2 right away so stick around this week for the first chapter in that.

See you soon!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

2.6K 109 17
[ BOOK 5 ] COMPLETE ❌ It's been three months since the dread doctors, the beast of Gévaudan, Theo, Katherine was busy, she's been focusing on schoo...
37K 953 36
Ophelia Alastair used to be a Nobel and betrothed to the one and only Percival De Rolo. But then the Briarwoods came and not only took away Percy's f...
9.6K 301 14
Zia Zircon. The final member of Vox Machina. Her skin was made of stone. Her amethyst eyes-quite literally crystallized- were more enchanting than an...
10.5K 377 16
Being a bard in the best group of Mercenaries in the land is not easy work let alone being the second. Liz realises that she may not be able to follo...