Evelyn

By wonderingwordsmith78

"Why do you always look like that?" "Like what?" "Like you hate every person in this room." "That's because I... More

Chapter 1 - Rose Colored Glasses
Chapter 2 - Mixed Bat Signals
Chapter 3 - Gaslighted Hearing
Chapter 4 - Whipped Like Cream
Chapter 5 - Diners, Drive-Ins and Dies
Chapter 6 - Decisions are for People Who's Lives are Put Together
Chapter 7 - The Answer was Obvious
Chapter 8 - Melatonin Munchies
Chapter 9 - I Won't Hesitate to Call 911
Chapter 10 - Forgotten Tea
Chapter 11 - Consent is Hot
Chapter 12 - Killer Instincts
Chapter 13 - Convenient Coincidences
Chapter 14 - I Hate Clocks
Chapter 15 - Groveling's a Good Start
Chapter 16 - Untold Stories
Chapter 17 - Finally
Chapter 18 - A Twenty Year Old Having a Midlife Crisis and A Broken Door
Chapter 19 - A Perplexed Parisian's Predicament
Chapter 20 - Contradictory Bread
Chapter 21 - Birthday Surprises
Chapter 22 - The Great British Baking Shit Show
Chapter 23 - Edible Arraignments
Chapter 24 - Dad Jokes and Daddy Issues
Chapter 25 - Cue the Beat Drop
Chapter 26 - Crayon Collections on Crack
Chapter 27 - It'd be Smarter to Call the Cops
Chapter 28 - I Should've Called the Cops
Chapter 29 - What's That I Hear? Applause?
Chapter 31 - Fin(ally Redeeming My McDonald's Rewards)

Chapter 30 - "Happy Women's History Month, Asshole."

2.5K 85 34
By wonderingwordsmith78

Chapter Song: Epiphany by Taylor Swift

                                            Evelyn
"You've gotta be shitting me."

At this point, I'm not even surprised Derek's here. I run a hand over my face and sigh, utterly exasperated. I looked at Derek with the most unbothered look I could muster. It is four forty five in the morning and my will to live is steadily declining.

"It's way too early for this shit," I sighed. "Can't you try and kill us at a more reasonable hour?"

"Take about three steps away from each other," Derek said, disregarding my blatancy.

"Derek," Michael began cautiously, putting his hands up in a display of self defense. "You need to let us go. Evelyn has work soon and people will be suspicious if she's not there."

"Actually, she doesn't. Look at the calendar," Derek's waved at it with his gun. (Again, way too early for this.) "There's nothing written for today."

He's right, there is nothing written for today because my new philosophy is 'calendars are for people who's lives are put together.' Seeing as I'm always one change in tone away from a breakdown, I'd say I don't fit in with calendar people.

Wait. This could work.

As previously stated, I believe that I could be a world-renowned super spy. A sizable part of superspy activities entails lying and acting. Although I didn't take theater in high school and I've never had any formal acting experience, I would like to believe that my performance of the fake arguments I made up in the shower constitutes enough experience.

"It was worth a try," I told Michael with a small smile. God I hope he catches onto what I'm thinking. "I took the day off because I needed a break from annoying customers. You remember me telling you about Ms. Nakaya, right?

If we played our cards right, we would be able to stall Derek long enough for Detective Nakaya to see I'm not at work, speed over to my apartment, and aren't Derek before he kills us.

That shouldn't be too hard.

I hoped to see a change in his expression, but there was nothing. If he understood what I meant, then he didn't show it. As much as I hate to say it, maybe him not catching on is a good thing; it makes his desperation seem more genuine. I hate that, though. I don't want him to be scared. I want him to know that it'll be okay.

I also want me to know that it'll be okay too.

I tend to overthink and my thoughts flow in circles, but I would like to thank whatever higher power gave me this idea and hope for the coherency to execute my plan.

Communication skills are pretty much a requirement in customer service, which means I should be able to talk my way through this ordeal. Although I love Michael to death, he's maybe possibly sometimes not the best at talking to people. Usually he looks at people with the same facial expression as when one flipped someone off in a fit of road rage. Just like how he's looking at Derek now which definitely isn't helping. If we don't want to die, maybe he should try being more friendly.

"Listen, Derek," I started. "Just tell me now, are you going to kill us?"

"Probably."

Michael tensed.

"Well isn't that wonderful. Tell me though, what's your getaway plan? If you kill us then the cops will know you did it, so how are you getting out of this? Why do you hate Michael so much? And why try and pin the drugs on me?"

Derek narrowed his eyes, "why would I tell you that?"

"You're killing us regardless of whether you tell me or not. Just humor me, one last good story before I go."

"Evelyn," Michael begged, fear laced in his voice. "Please don't say that."

I'm sorry.

"Where's the panic? The fear?

"You're," Derek paused. "Remarkably calm about dying. Why?"

"I can't tell if I went through the five stages of grief already or if I'm just so goddamn tired that it hasn't processed yet. I don't want to die, but it sounds like that's happening either way." My voice got quieter, genuine truth and sadness seeping into my voice. "I never got closure with my mom when she died. It'd be be nice to have it now with Michael. I can't watch someone else I love die without an explanation."

For the rest of my life, however long that may be, I'll never forget the look Michael gave me. The sheer helplessness in his eyes as he silently apologized to me was something that threatened to snap whatever force was holding me together. We both knew that we were going to die, that was a given from the start. But what hadn't hit me until this moment is that one of us is going to die before the other. Derek can only fire one shot at once and who knows how long he'll wait before firing the second. Either way, one of us is going to have to watch the other die. Judging by Derek's sadism and overall hatred for his brother...

Oh.

I'm probably going first. The realization hits like a ton of bricks and suddenly the air feels a little heavier. I don't want to die, really. For as much as I joke about it, I want to live. I want to have a family and grow old with Mich-

Michael. He's going to have to watch when I-

Just a minute ago I was scared of having to watch Michael die. Now I'm scared that he's going to have to watch me die. Suddenly, I understand what he meant when he begged me to stop talking. He knew that I would go first.

I look up at Michael, morbid realization dawning on me. Michael caught my change in demeanor, looking puzzled until he realized what had just hit me.

"There it is," Derek cooed.

I looked down as my breathing sped up, my perfectly calculated plan dismissed. This is it. If Detective Nakaya doesn't get here in time then this is it.

"Hey," Michael's voice softly cuts through my panic. "It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay."

I can tell that he's just trying to make me feel better, but we both know that's a lie. I give him a small smile and nod regardless.

I don't want him to worry and maybe if I get a grip on myself he'll feel better. If I have to go, then I want him to think that I'm at peace with it. Besides, I have a plan I need to get back to. I can't see a clock anywhere and feel my heart sink a little. I'm not sure how long I have to stall for and I don't know if I can at this point. But for Michael? I'm going to try.

"Please just," my voice broke. "Give me peace."

Derek considers my request for a moment, taking in mine and Michael's expressions. "Alright."

I almost laughed at the irony of it all. Michael once told me that he hated when Derek said 'alright' so much it made him want to murder him. Now Derek is saying 'alright' and he might murder us. It's actually kind of funny.

"Your first question, why I hate my brother? He's just a bitch. That's about all I have to say."

"Thanks," Michael said flatly.

"Moving on," Derek said, casually adjusting the position of his. "You asked why I wanted to pin the drugs on you. I'm completely honesty, I thought it'd be funny. I knew you wouldn't go to jail but imagining you getting flustered when the cops came, then it actually happening, was fucking hilarious."

That was...unexpected. I thought he was some sort of calculated genius but it turns out he's just more sadistic than I thought. Lovely.

"As for my getaway plan," Derek continued. "I figured I'd just shoot you both then leave out the front door."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. His delivery was so blunt and his plan was so stupid.

"What's so funny?" Derek asked, looking just as confused as Michael. They probably think I need to be locked up in a psych ward for laughing in a moment like this.

"You don't want to, I don't know, use the fire escape?"

"People will see."

"Derek, it's still dark outside and this street has shit lighting. You'll be fine."

"Let me make sure I'm understanding this right," Derek says. "Are you-helping me flee from your murder scene?"

"Huh, I guess I am. I do have a request for you, though. When I die, will you give my fish to my boss?"

"When you die, I'm going to eat your fish like it's a piece of sushi."

"What the fuck."

"You're fucking insane," Michael said, speaking for the first time in minutes.

"Maybe, but at least I'll be insane in my vacation home in Maine."

"When the fuck did you get a vacation home in Main?" Michael asked, giving Derek that 'I'm flipping you off with my mind' look.

Derek looked at Michael like he was an idiot. "Drug money," he said lamely.

I may not have any siblings, but I can tell what siblings look like when I see them. What usually gives it away is the banter that resembles that of twelve year olds. If we hadn't been talking about drugs and murder, this would be very funny.

"I have another question," I butted in. "How long were you waiting in my apartment?"

"Why are you asking so many questions?"

"Maybe because she doesn't want to fucking die," Michael answered.

Distantly, sirens began wailing. Derek instantly stood straighter and pointed the gun at us. "Don't move," he ordered before moving to the window. Michael and I looked at each other and I smiled, we were getting out of this.

Michael looked at ,e and nodded before speaking, "You're not getting out of this Derek. The cops will be here any minute. And you won't have time to leave the building. No matter what you do, you're stuck."

Derek's pacing stilled before he looked at Michael and I. "You're right, no matter what I do, I'm screwed. Might as well take you both down with me."

Derek pointed the gun at me and Michael shouted, "wait."

Remarkably, Derek obliged, humoring Michael. "If you kill us, then your sentence will be longer. You're already going to jail for possession of drugs, most likely drug dealing, and attempted murder. Do you really want the murder charge too?"

Derek pretended to consider it for a moment before shrugging. "I'm good." He pulled the safety back on the gun and his finger ghosted over the trigger before my front door slammed open.

"Drop the gun!" Detective Nakaya had her gun pointed at Derek as she approached, handcuffs around her belt.

"Ha," I shouted, relief flooded through me. "Happy women's history month, asshole."

~~~

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I was listening to folklore and Noah Kahan while I wrote this so that's what inspired the angst. I thought I'd give it a try and OOF, I was feeling it.
I wrote this on a plane and honestly the music helped set the mood.
I'm a little bit depressed because I only have one more chapter after this.
HOWEVER - I'm going to be editing this and adding more bonus scenes to certain chapters to lengthen it. (I really want to get published.)
I'll hopefully have the next chapter out in one to two weeks!
See y'all soon!!! 🫶🏼🫶🏼🫶🏼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 5K 47
He usually prefers his employees to be less...bubbly. Energetic. A little more like him, essentially. But there was something about her the moment sh...
18.6K 573 29
"I don't know what to tell you, it's your fault for catching feelings." He states, so harshly. And I thought I was the mean one. "It's your fault fo...
403K 6.4K 42
Originally "My girl." NOT EDITED⚠️ "You love hugs Don't you?" "Only yours." - "You know, if you wanted a kiss you could've just asked, princess."...
14.6K 632 29
..𝓣𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓱𝓸 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓯𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓼𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓼 𝓫𝓮𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮 𝓼𝓵𝓮𝓮𝓹𝓲𝓷𝓰 .. **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ ˚*•̩̩͙✩...