Historically VIVID Grandmothe...

By moonlight_Delight

My grandmother, or Nanna to me, has passed away. My family has requested that I be the one to head to Nanna's... More

My Authors note
1. News we don't wanna hear
2. Sifting through a life
3. New information~all day 'erry day
4. The big fat sum of it all
5. Who What When Where Why HOW?
6. A lesson learned
7. Putting it all together
8. The strength of one woman
9. History presented differently
10. Journal that breaks hearts
11. The plot thickens
12. The plot thickens -Part 2
13. The truth about love
14. grief, tears and a baby
16. A Christmas family holiday
17. The Tragedy
18. Harold's Extermination
19. The aftermath
20. Epilogue

15. Learning Harolds doom

2 2 0
By moonlight_Delight

Amid the craziness of becoming a new mother, I have watched Rose grow. She's gained weight, grown in length and her hair now has a few clear ringlets amid the fluff.

Sadly, it was merely four days after Rose's birth, that there was a knock on the door.
I was feeding Rose, and so Anne was the one to answer the incessant pounding on the front door.

Once the door was open, a suspicious looking short man, in a mismatched suit and short brown hair smeared heavily in hair product to hold it slicked back.

"Marjorie Gillespie?" He asked looking at Anne.

"No, Harold Dames." Was Anne's short and terse answer.

Scoffing, the man peeked his eyes over Anne's shoulder and noticed me sitting on the lounge.

"Marjorie Gillespie?" He asked looking at me this time.

"No, Adelaide Dimitri." I answered.

The man then had a most disgusting smile on his face, eyeing me like a piece of meat. My breastfeeding was slightly in his view which flustered me and I did my best to cover myself, without disrupting Rose's feed.

He pushed past Anne roughly to stand in front of me, and thrust an envelope into my hands and leered at me as he sneered at me, "Marjorie Gillespie, you have been served."

And with that, he vacated my home and quietly closing the door behind him before I could host a coherent thought!

Anne seemed as flabbergasted as I felt.
"Have you met that man before, Addy?" She asked me in a slight shock.

"No, Anne. But it appears to be legal documents of some kind! Can I get you to burp Rose while I investigate?" I answered and asked.

"Of course, Addy. Pass her here and open it!" Anne encouraged.

Handing over Rose, I walked to the single lounge chair, sat down and opened the letter.

I read the first two pages, line by line and upon registering what I was reading.

"Anne!" I gasped.

She looked over to me with Rose on her shoulder being par on the back by Anne. She must have seen something on my face.

"What's wrong, Addy?" She questioned me.

"Zara is trying to both sue me for 'Pain and Suffering', because their family is 'broken, and it's all Addy's fault!' And add to that, she's suing me for custody of Rose." I intoned monotonously intoned.

The court date in front of a judge is set for March next year. Given that it's early November I have plenty of time to speak to my secret admirer about a lawyer and a way out.

I am not looking forward to telling Harry.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

It's only been four weeks, but her cute little smile, the dimples that I hold on my very own face on her fact, too, and her facial expressions when asleep are just too, too adorable.

Harry has admittedly only made it over twice since Rose was born, but I also know that work, Zara and his children take up a good component of his time.

The last time he came over he brought a bouquet of colourful flowers to keep in my room and a plethora of new 'girls' outfits in fifty different shades of pink.

Anne smiled when she saw just how overboard Harry had gone with the clothing.

All three of us sat in the loungeroom for tea and dinner, with Rose in her bassinet in the centre of the room. Her little cooing noises so incredibly adorable I think my heart melted a little bit.

I looked to both Anne and Harry to ask, "My heart feels full of love for my child and I'm growing to love her a little more each day! Where am I going to fit all that extra love I have?"

Anne walked over and wrapped an arm around my shoulder to say, "Well, look at Mum. Three daughters and a few boys too, yet she manages to over love all of us everyday."

This was said with such enthusiasm, I couldn't help but realise that Anne was right. Harry grinned and in response says "It all just manages to fit. I promise you, Addy."

I guess knowing from experience with his other children made me feel better about what Harry had said.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Anne was summoned home to Mum and Dad's place. They technically want us both there however, even with the Nanny (Delores) at my home with Rose isn't enough to give me peace of mind. Not enough to go home and be interrogated by my family.

Grace will notice my body shape having changed and I just cannot afford for anyone to let the cat out of the bag before everything else explodes in my face.

I love my family, I do, all five of my siblings and especially my Mum and Dad. But I can't have my parents being socially shunned because of my life and choices.

Anne left my home at around five pm to go there. I was snuggled on the couch under a blanket with Rose nestled against me sleeping soundly and I was reading a novel.

Suddenly there was a loud thumping upon my front door with not only startled me, it shocked Rose out of sleep and she started to wail.

Rose's crying allowed the person at the door to know I was home.
My heart began to thump wildly in my chest and I decided that in her bassinet is where Rose should be left.

There was then more pounding on the front door, then a voice I recognised shouting, "Addy, I know you're in there, open the door!"

I tiptoed to the front door and slid the curtain over from the window next to the front door to see my brother, Arthur standing on my doorstep with a very disgruntled look on his face.

I unlocked the door to allow him in and then to pass by me.
"What are you doing here, Arthur?" I asked my older brother.

"Anne said you were sick and unable to come to dinner, but I know Anne and I know when she's lying. I asked her for your address under the guise that I would send you a letter. She doesn't actually know I left there to head over here." Arthur answered.

My shoulders slumped and I couldn't lift my gaze from the floor to make eye contact.

Rose began to wail again, as if to remind me she is there. Arthur looked to the bassinet and saw my daughter laying there.

"Is she yours, Addy?" Arthur asked me.

I sighed, knowing he was not going to like my answer.
"Yes, Arthur. She's mine."

I pick Rose up from her bassinet to cradle her in my arms. I kissed her forehead and gently rubbed a finger along her jaw.

"Arthur, I'd like you to meet your niece, Rose. Rose, this is your Uncle Arthur." I introduced them before gently passing my brother my baby.

After looking Rose over and staring gently at her face, a soft smile etched itself onto Arthur's face and seemed as though he would never stop.

"Addy, she's beautiful! I wish you had said something, but I'm more than happy to help you. Does the gentleman in question not want to marry you? Is he at work? Do I know him?"

My brothers barrage of questions left me a little shell-shocked.
Of course Arthur would want to know these things. As with Anne, the question of if he will marry me is one of the biggest questions a family can ask.

"No, Arthur, I'm not marrying the gentleman in question. It turns out he was married before we started dating. Yes, he's at work and you may have heard of him, but I'm almost certain you don't know him." I tried my best to answer Arthur's questions without giving anything away.

Arthur was seated upon my couch, snuggling with my daughter.

He looked so dang adorable. Rose seemed to be peering up at him through her lashes and a tiny smile adorned her features.

I went into the kitchen and made myself a pot of chamomile tea and an instant coffee for my brother.

When ready, I placed it all on a tray and headed to my lounge room.
Arthur looked up, and seemed intrigued by my current situation.

"How did you not know he was married, Addy? You're an incredibly smart young woman and I find it hard to believe that you didn't notice a ring, or a ring tan. I just don't get it, Adelle."

My eyes made contact with my lap and I was reluctant to raise my gaze and look at Arthur.

Suddenly, Anne was by Arthur's side and glaring down at him angrily.
"I gave you the address for mail, not visits! Why would you do this?" Anne questioned.

"Because I missed Adelle, ok!?!" was Arthur's response.

My gaze is still centred on my lap as I mumbled, "Arthur, I've missed you too, but you've unknowingly stepped into a situation within my life, and I beg you to keep this quiet. I cannot afford to have anyone find out about my current predicament." I said with all seriousness.

Arthur saw the look on my face and quickly handed the baby to Anne.

"I'm sorry, Addy. I didn't mean to step on your toes or get you in trouble. I'll leave and go home. I promise I will not say anything at all - least of all, Mum and Dad, OK?" Arthur said. He then hugged me briefly and the same with Anne, he stoked a finger gently across Rose's face and simply said, "she's just gorgeous Addy, well done."

After the door shut behind him, Anne simply looked at me and the words, "I'm so sorry, Addy. I really did just think he wanted to send you a letter. I never would have given it if I had realised that he-"

I cut Anne off to say, "It's fine, Anne. I've missed Arthur and it was nice to see him. Please don't apologise anymore."

Anne's face was one of thankfulness.

The phone installed by the government suddenly rang and given Anne was already holding Rose, I answered it.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hello Marjorie, it's your secret admirer here. I need to give you some information and it's of the utmost importance and needs complete urgency. Can I rely on you?" I was asked.

My heart fell into my stomach and then began beating so quickly.
Too quickly.

Anne must have seen the look on my face. She rushed over, but he'd already hung up. She latched onto the earpiece of the phone and almost yelled, "Who are you and why are you upsetting my sister?!"

But there was no answer because no one was there.

Anne put the phone piece back on its cradle and she looked me over with pity in her eyes.

"Are you o-" Anne started to ask a question, but I cut her off.

"Anne, I've got to go for a quick walk to clear my head. Humans annoy me."

Anne just shook her head lightly before clarifying, "Are you meeting someone, or just going for a walk?"

"Going for a walk."

I picked up a lightweight summer jacket and headed to the door.

"Adelle?" Anne grabbed my attention.

"Yes, Anne?" I asked.

"Please be safe. Your daughter needs you and I won't be able to do this without you."

"I'll be back soon, Anne."

The front door closed behind me and I took a deep breath before moving off my porch.

Off to my secret admirers meeting place.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I made it no further than two blocks when a postman came running up and asked, "Gillespie? Marjorie Gillespie?"

I nodded and he thrust a letter into my hands that had 'URGENT' stamped on it, so I stopped where I was and peered at the envelope.

On the back, it said 'S.W.A.L.K.'

I know this means 'sealed with a loving kiss' immediately giving away the writer of the letter.

My secret admirer.

I ripped open the envelope to see an invitation.

"Dear Marjorie,

You're invited to a beach party! H.H. requests your presence on 17th December 1967, at Cheviot Beach.
H.H.'s co-leader, Country Party John McEwen seeks to meet you will be the one who'll take your ticket off you. Please RSVP urgently."

Given the messenger was standing awkwardly, waiting for new instructions. I asked the young man to return to sender with 'Yes' being my answer.

I think Harry is going to be murdered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 313 17
When thirty-year-old Zara stumbled upon a mysterious mirror hidden among her family's heirlooms, she never imagined that diving into it would transpo...
10.7K 93 47
Love is strange. It exists in many forms and is one of the key components that makes humans happy, but there isn't a lot of understanding surrounding...
Riona By Now you Simi

General Fiction

336 87 15
Riona. In case you haven't guessed by now, that's me. This is my story. And I'm going to start from the very beginning, so you can get the full pictu...
3K 478 22
When her parents die in an accident, 27-year-old party girl, Adelaide Becker, sets her sights on inheriting the family fortune. But when the will is...