Kingdom Come

By Anburwell

Jaehaera, the oldest child of Uhtred Ragnarsson and lady Gislea never cared for men. In fact the only one she... More

0. Kingdom Come
I. The Dane Slayer's Daughter
II. Bastard Son
III. Slavers
IV. The Return
V. Black Hole Sun
VI. Dead Men Tells No Tales
VII. From Eden
VIII. Bad Moon Rising
IX. Amor Prohibido
X. Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene
XI. Hold On Til May
XII. Flying or Crying
XIII. Can You Feel My Heart
XIV. Welcome To The Jungle
XV. Haunted
XVI. Death By A Thousand Cuts
XVII. The Story Of Us
XIX. Angels on the Moon
XX. She
Author Note xoxo
XXI. 'Till I Collapse
XXII. Medicine Man
XXIII. Make It Out Alive
XXIV. Smells Like Teen Spirit
XXV. Safe & Sound
XXVI. Come Together
author's note
author's note pt2

XVIII. Something in the Orange

932 26 2
By Anburwell

And I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't

'Cause if I say I miss you I know that you won't

But I miss you in the mornings when I see the sun

Something in the orange tells me we're not done

Take me back to us dancing, this wood used to creak

Jaehaera and Sihtric continued to run through the streets of Wintanceaster, and now Sihtric chased after her. Jaehaera weaved in and out of the crowd, running through the alehouse porch while her friends and family continued to watch. They ran into a small alleyway, and Sihtric finally caught her. Jaehaera yelped but quickly laughed loudly with Sihtric. His laughter and hers bounced between the walls.

Sihtric turned Jaehaera to him while he kept her in his arms, the two caught their breath, holding each other and chuckling. "You always seem to be running from me," he told her.

"Because you are always chasing me," Jaehaera answered. "Relentlessly coming for me."

"Men often chase after beautiful things," Sihtric told her. "I will chase after you all my days, as I have told you before. I could spend years running after you and never grow tired." He rested his forehead on hers which she allowed.

"Sihtric," she began tiredly and began to pull away.

"I know," he answered her. He brushed her hair from her face and then dropped his arms to his side. "Come on, we should get back."

Jaehaera only nodded before following him back to the others. Thyra had waited for Jaehaera to walk back to her home. She needed to get a few things from the market for food, and Jaehaera gladly went with her. They were walking back to Thyra's home when a man bumped into Thyra on purpose, almost making her aunt spill the things in her hands. "Danes," he cursed. His main focus is on Thyra.

Jaehaera glared at him and moved in front of Thyra, "apologize," Jaehaera commanded.

"No, I don't think I will," the man answered slyly. "Say it, say you are danes." Jaehaera scoffed and so did Thyra. "Danish whores. Say it."

"I will rip out your tongue if you dare say one more thing," Jaehaera threatened, still blocking him from getting close to Thyra. The man shoved Jaehaera, and she shoved him back harder. "We are proud to be danes."

"And I am proud to be the wife of a Saxon priest," Thyra added gently, but her voice was strong and proud. "I am of two peoples." she took Jaehaera by the sleeve as best she could and tried to walk them away from the man. Jaehaera's eyes bore holes into the man's skull as she began to walk with Thyra.

The man stopped them, by stepping into their path. Jaehaera closed her eyes in an effort to remain calm. She couldn't drop a body in broad daylight. "I am of two peoples," the man mocked her aunt. "That doesn't make sense, does it."

"Do you have bread where your brain should be?" Jaehaera asked, genuinely wanting to know. "What part did you not understand? That she is a dane? No, you understand that very well. Or is it that she's married to a priest? That means she is both dane, and now saxon by marriage. I can understand where you might have gotten confused seeing as you are a man with a head full of sawdust."

Thyra placed a calm hand on Jaehaera's arm, "I wish to live in peace," she spoke to the man while once more pulling her niece away.

"How dare you talk to me that way you filthy dane whore," the man spoke to Jaehaera, getting into her face.

Jaehaera was about to rear back and headbutt the man, but Rickon's voice coming from behind her gave her pause. "You will let the ladies pass, or I will have your balls," Rickon threatened. "What's left of them anyway. Do you enjoy terrorizing women?"

The man didn't speak as Finan joined him. "My friend asked you a question," Finan reminded the man. He looked at the scene beginning to form around him, and he backed off.

"It was a game," the man spoke. Jaehaera rolled her eyes. "I meant no harm."

"Yes, well why don't you run along now, Jaehaera here isn't fond of games, and neither are we," Rickon commanded the man. He quickly left the scene, not looking back. "Are you two alright?" he asked them.

Jaehaera nodded, "yes, thank you boys," she told them with a smile.

"I will send Rickon or Sihtric for you once your father has returned," Finan told her, and Jaehaera nodded.

Jaehaera wrapped her free arm around one of her aunt's arms, and they continued on their path once more without trouble. Jaehaera helped around the house, doing whatever Thyra needed her to do without question or complaint. Even though her mother had passed, Thyra, and Hild as well, became like a second mother. Whenever she had time she would write to Thyra and tell her about everything she could. When the two were reunited, every time it was like they had never parted. Thyra included messages from Beocca in their letters and she awaited each one like the morning sun. She loved her aunt as she loved her father.

"You are Sihtric are lovely," Thyra told her.

Jaehaera blushed while kneading bread, "Thyra," she began warily, "I'm not entirely sure I am doing this right."

Thyra laughed at her niece's way of avoiding what she had just said. "Here, let me show you again," she told her gently. Jaehaera watched once more and then Thyra let her begin once more. "There, you will be a master breadmaker in no time."

Jaehaera laughed, "I'm not sure about that," she answered. "Swinging a sword I can do, delicate work I cannot."

"That's not true," Thyra told her. "You told me once before that you had baked and it had turned out well."

Jaehaera smiled and shrugged, "just once," she answered. "I haven't got the time now, but it was something I enjoyed when I did it. I'm not even sure if I remember how."

Thyra walked past her with a dish and leaned up to kiss her head, "you will remember," she assured, "if you can remember training steps from your father, you can remember a recipe." Jaehaera just smiled and nodded while th two continued to work. Being with her aunt felt like being back at her home in Coccham with her mother. Jaehaera missed her every day and longed to see her again. While Thyra could never replace her mother, she patched the hole in her heart that had been left after her mother's passing. Jaehaera would thank her forever for that.

*********************************************************************

Everyone now sat in Thyra's and Beocca's house. Jaehaera once more sat on the counter as she had before while her father, Beocca, Finan, Sihtric, and Hild sat at the table. Rickon leaned against the counter next to Jaehaera and Osferth sat on the floor. Jaehaera continued to help Thyra when she needed it and tried to stay out of her way. She had come back with more things from the market that they had forgotten, and she wore the same face she had when the man began to harass them before. Jaehaera sat up straighter, and Rickon took notice. "It may be months before Edward's King," Finan spoke to the others. Jaehaera gestured her head slightly at Thyra and Rickon nodded in understanding. "By then the danes will be marching."

"Alfred will be gone much sooner even than one month," Beocca answered him. "It will be days."

"Then there's the argument," Hild began, "for want of a better word, Edward is not every Saxon's first choice for king."

Jaehaera watched her aunt closely, and so did Hild. "Judging by the cackled in the alehouse," Finan began to agree, "Edward is not any man's choice." Jaehaera pushed off the counter when she heard her aunt sniffle.

"Men are saying what?" Uhtred asked.

Jaehaera reached her aunt with Hild and wrapped her arms around the woman both gently, and protectively. "That Edward has a face like a woman's arse, and you are here to kill him," She heard Sihtric answer. Jaehaera rested her head on her aunt's.

"News of your pardon will change what people say," Beocca pointed out. Then he noticed the three women standing. Rickon had pointed them out to him. "Thyra?" Beocca asked. He got all the men's attention now. "Thyra, what is it?" he asked her gently. "Why the tears?"

Thrya informed everyone what had happened earlier with Jaehaera, and then what had happened when she left them earlier to get the things she and Jaehaera had forgotten. Jaehaera's jaw clenched and anger bubbled up inside her. She knew she should have killed that man when she had the chance, Jaehaera thought while still holding her aunt in her arms.

Not seconds after Thyra spoke, Beocca angrily left the house. Jaehaera followed after Beocca with a happy smile, while Uhtred and the other men followed him with caution. They had left Hild with Thyra. "Maybe you should let me speak to this man," Her father suggested to Beocca as they walked.

"I am quite capable," Beocca answered calmly. His voice did not match his demeanor. "She's my wife."

"Yes, but you have a temper," Uhtred reminded the priest.

"I do," Beocca agreed, "and it is up," Jaehaera smirked as she walked behind them. She enjoyed it when Beocca threw his temper at people who deserved it. It had become one of her favorite pastimes to witness.

"His name is apparently Tidman, Father," Jaehaera very willingly offered him the piece of information granted to her from Thyra. Uhtred gave her a look, but she only shrugged. Sihtric, Finan, and Rickon smirked at the girl as they followed her and the other two.

"Tidman!" Beocca shouted. "I'm looking for a rat named Tidman!" he found a man sitting nearby drinking ale. "Are you Tidman?" He didn't answer.

"Father Beocca, good morning," Aethelwold's voice greeted them as he came out of the house Tidman sat in front of. "And Uhtred, free man of Wessex."

"I'm looking for a man named Tidman," Beocca informed, "does the coward belong to you?"

"He's sitting in front of you, Father," Jaehaera answered before anyone else could. She pointed at the man sitting down. "That's Tidman."

"He does not," Aethelwold spoke, ignoring Jaehaera.

"I am not a coward," Tidman answered as he stood up. Jaehaera rolled her eyes as he walked to Beocca. "What is it you want, priest?" Jaehaera tilted her head at the man with narrowed eyes.

"What I want, oaf," Beocca began with an insult, and Jaehaera smiled, "is for you to heed my warning. Speak to or go near my wife again, and I shall beat the shit from you!"

Jaehara smiled brightly from behind Beocca. She rested an elbow on Finan's shoulder as they all watched and listened. "Oh very well said, Father," Jaehaera spoke in agreement. Uhtred turned and gave her a look that told her she wasn't helping. Though she heard Finan and Sihtric chuckle.

"It is a promise," Beocca added.

"I called your woman a dane," Tidman spoke, not reading the energy around him. "Is that..is that not what she is?"

"Have you not understood me?" Beocca asked. Beocca you will find this man is more stupid than you thought, Jaehaera told him in her mind. She rolled her eyes, and just shook her head at Tidman. "You don't appear to be the cleverest of men," Beocca added as if he did hear her message to him.

"Do you speak to me as a man or a priest?" Tidman mistakenly asked. Beocca reared back as Jaehaera had planned to do before and headbutted the man. Jaehaera laughed before she could stop herself, but quickly covered her mouth and turned her head to look away from the scene. Finan flicked her head as Uhtred and Rickon went to hold back the priest.

"Does that answer your question?" Beocca shouted at the man as he fell. Uhtred looked at Finan and Jaehaera while holding back Beocca. "I do not hide beneath these robes!" he broke free for a second and punched the man that lay on the ground. UHtred and Rickon retrieved the priest once more.

"Beocca, enough," Uhtred told him. "No more!"

"Bastard!" Beocca insulted. "She's a woman! A gentlewoman and she's suffered enough!" Rickon placed another hand on Beocca's shoulder to calm him. "I am warning you once!" Uhtred and Rickon let go when Beocca appeared to have calmed down. "I am calm," he reassured them. "I am calm now."

Jaeahera glared at the man from behind Beocca. Tidman had stood up once more, and before her father and Rickon could grab him again, Beocca punched the man in the face once more. Uhtred and Rickon rushed to stop the man, and Sihtric went to help while he laughed. Finan stood between Tidman and Beocca. The priest lifted his hands in surrender while Jaehaera walked to the man and accidentally stepped on his hand to join her father and his men.

When he cried out in pain, her father and the others turned her attention to her as she lifted her foot. "Oh goodness, I am so sorry," Jaehaera feigned an apology. "I didn't see your hand there, sir. My apologies."

Uhtred tilted his head and gave her another look, which made Jaehaera shrug once more. Sihtric and Rickon chuckled at the girl and shook their heads. "This rotten air that fills Wintanceaster is due to you, and the likes of you," Beocca spoke to Aethelwold. "England is a land for all tribes who wish to settle and live in peace." Beocca paused and looked at the one-eyed man in front of him. "Your father would be ashamed of you." Beocca turned to her father and went to walk back to Thyra and Hild.

Uhtred nodded to Jaehaera and his men, "go with him," he instructed them. They all nodded and left without another word. Finan stayed with Uhtred like always.

"Did you have to step on his hand?" Rickon asked Jaehaera as they walked.

"No, but I would do it again," she answered with a smirk as he laughed and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

*********************************************************************

Jaehaera continued to stay with Thyra and Beocca during her time in Wintanceaster. Her aunt and uncle had provided her with a room, and that's where she stayed. She had just begun to fall asleep when Thyra knocked at her door. Her father and the others were here, Beocca had told them just now that the king has passed. Jaehaera stood frozen in place for a moment. She did not particularly like the King, but she favored Edward. She felt more sadness than she had thought she would have, but only sadness for Edward and Aethelflaed. She wrapped her cloak around her nightdress and found her father and the others outside on the porch by candlelight. She sat down tiredly between Finan and Sihtric.

"I will not leave Wintanceaster," her father informed them once Beocca had informed them of what the Queen had done following Alfred's passing. "I cannot."

"You can, and you must," Finan told her father.

"Not until Edward is king," Uhtred informed them once more.

"You promised Alfred this?" Beocca asked her father, and Jaehaera turned her head to look at Uhtred.

"I did," Uhtred answered with a nod. Beocca sighed and sat up straighter.

"If the promise of the pardon does not hold," Finan began, "then you cannot stay and wait to be imprisoned or killed."

"Where else should he go?" Jaehaera asked.

"Anywhere a horse can take him," Finan answered. "Anywhere a ship can go." Jaehaera turned her head to look at Sihtric. They both knew her father would never do that. He gave Alfred his word.

"Uhtred came here for a reason," Thyra spoke. "He came for Ragnar's blood. He has a task to fulfill. The blood must be kept safe." Beocca and Finan shared a look. Jaehaera and Sihtric listened to the woman intently. "A battle is coming. You must choose a side."

"The problem being is neither side wants him," Finan pointed out. Uhtred chuckled and leaned against the table.

"Which is a further reason why you must stay," Beocca added. "Wait for Edward. Which is why Alfred asked you for what seemed a simple promise."

"Bastard thinks," Uhtred repeated what his friend Leofric once had all those years ago that continued to ring true.

Jaehaera sighed sleepily and rubbed her eyes. "He knows your honor, Uhtred," Thyra told her brother. "That is all."

In the morning she accompanied her father and Finan to Alfred's funeral, she stood between them while they watched the procession. Her eyes found Thyra in the crowd, and the two shared a sad smile. "The king is dead," Beocca's voice echoed around the hall. "So together we pray for his soul, and for his successor, Edward," he spoke. "May God guide and protect him always." Finan turned his head to watch something catch her attention and she did the same. They watched Thyra leave the hell with questioning looks. "May God surround him with strength and wisdom. Amen." She also heard the clacking of armor behind her. It had to be Steapa and the king's guard, but she did not turn, and neither did her father.

"Lord," Steapa's voice came from behind them. "I have orders to kill you should you not leave the hall quietly." Jaehaera took in a breath to calm herself. When her father began to leave, she moved to leave with him, but Hild took her sleeve and shook her head. Jaehaera took another breath before nodding and staying with Finan and Hild. while the choir continued to sing a song Jaehaera did not understand, Finan quietly left the hall as well after making eye contact with Beocca. She began to feel a terrible feeling in her gut, and she couldn't stay in the hall any longer. She lowered her head and looked at Hild with an apologetic look, and followed after Finan. She walked from the hall and found Finan. He looked at her with concerned eyebrows.

"Finan, it's Thyra, I can feel it," She spoke to him quickly as she continued to leave the palace in the direction of her aunt's home. Finan acted at once and followed after the girl. He as well got a terrible feeling because she had never been wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 180 23
A 21st-century woman is thrust into the past, where she meets Uhtred, a formidable warrior. She joins his band of warriors forming unbreakable bonds...
169K 2.8K 200
First list of parchments publishing the Ragnarssons' reactions to situations proposed by you guys! Requests are open for more on my ask box at Tumblr...
52.2K 1.7K 31
in which a dane kissed by the gods falls in love with a monk that only believes in one the last kingdom | osferth x oc only on wattpad dark mod...
4.7K 204 20
"I am a Noble Lady of Cent. If you would like to incur the wrath of my father and of Wessex after you have killed me, go ahead." ☼ Finan x Fem. OC