Had to Be You (Pub 6)

By pseudoannie

(Completed with bonuses)Olivia Browning loves the respect she receives when she walks through the New York Ci... More

Had to Be You
1 - Graham
2 - Date #1
3 - Rumors
4 - Camp Livvy
5 - Max
6 - Date #3
7 - Livvy and the Dees
8 - A surgeon
9 - K-I-S-S-I-N-G
10 - The cracker
11 - Chez Junior
12 - Emily
13 - The Dees
14 - Unattainable
15 - Cool
16 - Small victories
17 - Help
18 - Disappointed
19 - It's complicated
20 - Too close
21 - Demands
22 - Secret
23 - Jealousy
24 - Lucky
25 - Teasing
26 - Family ties
27 - Purgatory
28 - Don't remember
29 - Lemon
30 - The date
31 - A sign
32 - Lemony
33 - Never stop
34 - First
35 - Amazing
36 - Shut out
37 - The duo
38 - Missing
39 - After
40 - Dover
41 - Could be
43 - You!
44 - Lilli
45 - Posse
46 - An adult
47 - Complicated
48 - Housewarming
49 - Maine
50 - Stay
51 - Challenge
52 - Moving in
53 - Steele team
54 - Pledge
55 - Doctor
56 - Sorry
57 - Switch
58 - Nasty business
59 - Gelato
60 - The Armani
Anita 1
Kurt 2
Anita 3
Kurt 4
Anita 5
Kurt 6
Anita 7
Bonus 1
Bonus 2
Bonus 3
Bonus 4
Bonus 5
Bonus 6

42 - Where?

1.1K 181 65
By pseudoannie

The first sign something was wrong was when Olivia received a call from her brother. Ian said, "Is it true?"

"A lot of things are true." She didn't know what he was referring to. Maybe he had heard where she was.

"Lilli told Ainsley you are pregnant."

"What? Who told Lillian?"

"Who do you think? Zach."

Olivia felt nauseous for the first time in weeks. "Zach knows!"

"Does that mean it's true?"

Olivia closed her eyes - her mother, Shaun, Sarah, and Stella. Emma hadn't called her, so it had to be her mother.

Tears broke the barricade. "Mom was supposed to keep it secret."

"Mom knows? Liv, what have you done? Whose is it?"

"It wasn't planned if that's what you're asking. You are too smart and perfect to make a mistake."

"Liv, everyone makes mistakes. Please don't be mad at me."

"I'm mad at mom. Now everyone must know." She squeezed her eyes to stop the tears. Max must know. She wanted to tell him. "I'm not mad at you, but this isn't how it was supposed to go. I wanted to tell important people like you. God, I hate being in the rumor mill."

"Liv, you've been one big rumor since you ran away."

"I know. I know. I thought it would be best if I took some time for myself."

"Why the secret?"

"So people would leave me alone. I only answer the calls I want to and mom's may not be one."

"I wouldn't be too hard on her. She probably told Kurt."

"She should know better. He can't keep a secret and neither can his sister." She sobbed.

"Liv, don't cry. Are you with the guy? Will he take care of you?"

"No. He doesn't know. I'm with friends."

"Not the Dees."

"No. Not the Dees. Congrats Uncle Ian."

"I'm happy if you're happy."

Was she happy? As awkward as it was she had a part of Max to hold on to forever, even if he never loved her.

"I think I am. Even if I end up alone. I always wanted to be a mother. I'm not eighteen."

"No. I hope you get along with the father. You may be bound for life."

"Like mom and Andrew?"

"Exactly. How can I not love your baby?"

"You're a good brother, Ian."

"Liv, I love you."

"Me too."

She hung up on her brother and called her mother. "Mom! You told him!"

"What? Oh, no!"

"Ian just called me. He knows he's going to be an uncle."

"He kind of is with Violet's baby."

"You know that's not what I mean. Everyone knows! Zach knows!"

"Olivia, Zach is married you have to stop."

"Mom, don't you get it? You never did! He has only ever been my best friend, never my crush."

"That's water under the bridge. He's married and you are having someone else's baby."

Max. "Mom, I have to go. I need to tell him."

She hung up. It was a disaster. Maybe he didn't know. He could be too busy working. Her phone chimed. We need to talk. Where are you?

He had to know. Ignoring him wouldn't help. She responded. Nearby.

It took him awhile to respond. Tomorrow night I'm not on call. After my last surgery. It could be late.

I know you work long hours.

Are you going to tell me where you are or do I need a decoder ring?

Text when you leave the hospital. As much as she was dreading it, at least she would see the face she loved.

She walked out of her wing for a cup of tea. Stella reached out her hand from the recliner. She could walk with a cane and Shaun took her to her first physical therapy session. "Are you okay?"

"No. My mother told my stepfather who told his sister. Well, you get the story. I'm sure he knows."

"It's time." Sarah's kindness transcended her wealthy upbringing. It surprised Olivia when her nephew visited. He had been at Kurt's party and knew her grandmother.

"I wanted to tell him on my own terms. Now I'm sure he knows. He wants to meet tomorrow night."

"A date!" Sarah's face lit up.

"No, not a date. Hopefully, he won't hate me."

"Shock and hate are very different feelings that express themselves similarly."

Olivia chuckled. "Was your mother sweet like you or proper like my grandmother?"

"Proper. Jimmy pretends, but he's sweet in the middle."

Olivia stopped herself from giggling like a teen at a slumber party. Then she remembered Max. "Everyone will know where I am."

"You'll stay won't you?" Sarah asked.

"Until I find an apartment or a condo."

"Or move in with your baby daddy."

"Stella." Sarah chided with a smirk.

Everything was coming to a head. Max had to know about the baby. At least, she wouldn't have to say the words which kept getting stuck in the back of her throat. If life was a fairytale, he would confess his undying love and propose. Chances were great her baby would be born with the same status as her brother. She didn't care as long as Max was with her in the delivery room. That was a lie, she wanted the fairytale.

The following day, Olivia paced back and forth as the pasta boiled on the stove. Earlier Stella had stood next to her and taught her how to make homemade sauce. With the tomato and spices simmering, she could handle cooking the penne while Stella rested. Standing too long taxed her hip, although her mobility improved almost daily.

It could be hours before she heard from Max. Her thoughts were like a kid trying to master the Yo-Yo. One minute they scraped on the ground slack and the next they shot back up pinching her finger (or the tension in her head). She wanted an emergency so she could avoid it. Then she wanted to get it over with.

Sarah teased. "You'll wear out the floor."

She stopped. "A watched pot."

"Or clock. I understand, darling. When you are on my side of life..."

"You're still young."

"I didn't mean I'm elderly. I've just lived through a lot. There was a time, Shaun was devastated because her first marriage failed. She had a lot of dark days and even ran and hid back in Seattle, but the sun came out. It just happened to be named Joshua."

Olivia bit her lip. "My sun won't be named Maxwell."

Stella yelled from her resting spot in the other room. "All men are idiots. Even the good ones need a knock on the head once in a while, our Josh included. I'll gladly volunteer."

Olivia walked closer. "I'll handle him on my own. Let's get you to the table."

After pushing the food around and not eating, she cleaned the kitchen. The duo left her alone with her thoughts. Halfway through she sat trying to catch her breath. It was a good thing he was a doctor because she might need mouth to mouth. She smiled at her own thoughts. If only. The last thing she needed was to conjure up the details of their night together. The sensation of his lips on her lips, skin and between her legs sent her straight into the memories she tried so hard to push into the recesses of her mind.

Squirming from the dampness, she stood and finished wiping the counters before walking to her room to change clothes. Every girl wanted to look good for the most important meeting of her life. Staring in the closet, she looked through her options and pulled a long, flowing, summer dress off the hanger. After freshening up including new panties, she slipped on the dress. I felt snugger in the bust. Would Max notice the changes in her body? She stood in front of the mirror and smoothed her dress over her front. Only she noticed the change in her body.

With a glance at the clock, she picked up her phone. No missed notifications. As a fellow, he stayed until nine or ten at night. She couldn't wait that long; she would be asleep. When her phone chimed she jumped. With shaky hands, she opened his text.

Where are you?

Taking a deep breath, she texted the address. There was no turning back. She began pacing for the longest forty minutes of her life. Not wanting to talk to the others, she put on a pair of flat sandals and walked outside. The sun hadn't set. The girl who took care of the horses was in the barn, and the horses were still outside. Olivia looked over when she heard a whinny. It was so romantic when Shaun and Josh rode off together. Had Max ever ridden? Olivia hadn't and Shaun refused to allow her. Tansy could, but she couldn't because of the baby.

The baby. Max would want to know how it happened. She walked in circles like the horses but resisted the urge to kick the ground. Just as the girl entered the paddock, a car turned on to the long drive.

She recognized his old car as it pulled to a stop next to the other car. His tall figure emerged and looked around. She stood frozen taking him in. Her breath hitched when he looked at her and ran his eyes down to her sandals. Then he turned his head towards the horses.

His voice broke through the silence. "What's this place a commune?"

"No. It's a home." Feeling indignant. "Don't you know me better than that?"

He shook his head. "The Olivia I knew never would have gotten pregnant."

"It wasn't planned. It was stupid but not planned." She didn't want to raise her voice, but he hadn't moved closer. Her pride refused to step towards him.

"It was stupid alright. What happened to the pill?"

"That was years ago. I stopped because the only man I wanted was sleeping around with other people. I wanted to stop the risks."

He ran his hand through his hair. "You could have told me."

"You could have asked." Max let out a long sigh. She stepped closer. "Don't even ask. You know there has never been anyone else." She whispered, "Only you."

"So now you're your mother and I'm supposed to be like Ian's father."

"No, neither of them stepped up to do the right thing, to move. I planned to move even before our date."

"But your job. What about the shelter you love?"

"I'm pretty sure there are people to help in Boston. As for my job, I was only ever the boss's daughter with the fake job."

"That's not true. You loved your job."

She stepped closer. "Can we stop yelling?" The horses were in the barn. The poor girl was probably afraid to go to her car. "Come with me." It was getting too dark to walk far, but she led him behind the barn. The view looked like a painting in the fading light.

"Why are you here?"

"Because I'm needed. To answer your other question, I love parts of my job, but I love you more."

"Liv."

She threw her hands up and groaned. "You always act like I've offended you. You didn't seem upset when you took me to your bed."

"So you moved to Boston, but you know my career comes first."

"I would never get in the way of your career. But now everyone knows, I'll have to tell them about your involvement. Just don't deny it."

"Liv. Livvy, let me tell my parents first."

"Fine. I wanted to tell you myself, but..."

"But I heard it from your best friend instead."

"I always wanted you to be my best friend. I won't tell anyone until you do, but please don't tell anyone I'm here."

"I don't even know where here is."

"Do you have questions about...?" She splayed her hand on her abdomen.

He stared at it and shook his head. "I have to be at rounds."

"Yeah, I know six in the morning. Just go."

"Livvy." He reached out his hand, but she couldn't touch him. It would bring back the memories.

"I'm sorry, Max." She ran into the house leaving him in the dark.

Stella called to her. "Did you bring your young man in to meet us?"

"No, he's leaving."

Sarah smiled. "Is he happy about the baby?"

"He didn't say."

Her fantasies of him capturing her in his arms or getting down on one knee didn't happen. Obviously, it was a shock for him. She would concentrate on the long game. For eighteen years, they would have a connection. Even longer, she remembered her mother talking to Ian's father after her brother's surgery. Max's career would always come first, but he would be a good dad. He cared for children too much not to.

Thanks for voting ⭐️

A/N for those who think an unexpected pregnancy should magically bring them together, I write realistic fiction (most of the time - fountain). This is a huge piece of news for anyone to get. Olivia has had a few months to let it sink in. Max's biggest problem is he loves her too much. Call him selfish, but not all men are perfect and he is far from it. As he has mentioned he has been stunted by years of training. I could go on, but we don't know everything about him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 1.7K 40
"I want how it was before. I want it all with you in my life again... I'm asking you to stay." Miles Cobain-Smith An aloof and detached logician, he...
2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...
80K 3.2K 80
BOOK FOUR OF HARRISON SERIES. Elizabeth has been looking after her alcoholic and pathological liar mother for years after she tried to destroy her ow...
506K 13.6K 45
She has a boyfriend. She's beautiful and I can't take my eyes off her. But she has a boyfriend. And her boyfriend is one of my "friends" ~~~~ I have...