A Raven's Blessing | Vax'ilda...

By red_amadeus

"I don't know if I believe in the gods...but I believe in you, Vax." Athena never had it easy growing up in T... More

Character Information
Prologue: Part 1
Prologue: Part 2
Season 1
The Terror of Tal'Dorei: Part 1
The Terror of Tal'Dorei: Part 2
The Feast of Realms
Shadows at the Gates
Fate's Journey
Spark of Rebellion
Scanbo
A Silver Tongue
The Tide of Bone
Depths of Deceit
The Darkness Within
Season 2
Rise of the Chroma Conclave
The Trials of Vasselheim
The Sunken Tomb
Those Who Walk Away
Pass Through Fire
Into Rimecleft
The Fey Realm
Echo Tree
The Scales of Order
The Killbox
Belly of the Beast
The Hope Devourer
Author's Note/Update

Whispers at the Ziggurat

2.5K 79 13
By red_amadeus

Warnings: Strong and Sexual Language; Violence, Gore & Death.

The group approached the largest pyramid structure of the ziggurat. Green energy coiled around it with the structure tapped into the roots of the Sun Tree that were coming down from above. They could hear Delilah chanting in the distance as they snuck up to the protruding rocks surrounding the structure. Scanlan paused as he look up at the ziggurat.

"Uh...Scanlan?" Grog asked as Scanlan stood there in deep thought until he let out a sudden gasp. 

"It wasn't a spell book. It was an instruction manual," he turned towards them gesturing to the ziggurat, "The drawings, the symbols... It all had to do with that name. Uh, the wha... what was it? The-the Whispered One."

"The Whispered One?" Pike questioned. 

"You've heard that name?" Vex asked. 

"Once. Uh, from an elder of the Everlight. They said he's some sort of undead creature whose soul seeks the power to return to our plane." 

"I get the book, the maps, but what's with the star chart?" Scanlan pondered.

"It's the solstice, when the barrier between the planes is the thinnest," Keyleth answered. 

"Oh, sure, sure, the planes. Yeah, yeah. What does that mean?"

"If this Whispered One wants to cross over, now is the time to do it." 

"And the Briarwoods must be trying to help him," Pike realized. 

"I don't give a shit what they're doing. I just want my brother back," Vex stated. 

"Vax," Athena gasped as she spotted him in the distance. She too wanted to get Vax back and kill the Briarwoods. If their plans succeeds then they will all soon be dead thanks to their Whispered One. 

"Okay, I'll take Vax. Piece of cake," Grog cracked his knuckles. 

"Grog, I want him alive," Vex replied. 

"Oh. Uh, then I got Cassandra."

"No, she will answer to me," Percy said. 

"Oh... I never get to play," Grog pouted as he sat on the ground. 

"Buddies, we still need somebody to handle Sylas. Any suggestions?" Pike comforted. 

"Um... I don't know, maybe Ripley?," he laughed, "Doesn't really matter what happens to her."

"I was talking about you." 

"Oh... Goody," he chuckled.

"Let's move," Vex ordered. They ran to the base of the ziggurat with Athena, Keyleth, Percy and Ripley going to the left. 

"Don't be a fool, Percy. This fight cannot be won. Come with me. Our minds, together?" Ripley bargained.

"You're not leaving." 

"I'm afraid you overestimate my willingness in this endeavor," she said as back away. Percy raised his gun at her, clicking the hammer down, smoke pouring out of him. 

"Percy, they'll hear," Athena stopped him. 

"Yes, go ahead. Shoot me," she mocked. Percy grunted as he struggled to bring the gun down, the smoke trying to pull his arm back up. "Until, next time," she ran away. 

"We are not finished," Percy grunted as the smoke surrounded his face forming a temporary mask with glowing orange eyes. 

"No." The smoke aggressively pulled at his arm as Percy pulled against it. Athena and Keyleth didn't know what to do or how to stop it without hurting Percy in the process. 

"No can't......do it. Too loud. Don't care. Letting her go." Percy fell down to the ground as the smoke overtook him. Keyleth could only look on in horror while he struggled. Athena could see through the smoke, the marks of the demonic possession taking hold of him. Another creature she was forced to study. Percy stood and left the cover of the base and ascend the stairs. 

"Percy wait!" Athena tried to keep her tone down to not bring any attention but it didn't get through to him. The demon had already persuaded him to attack. 

"Sylas! We have debts to settle."

"These swine refused to die," Sylas commented as he embrace his wife.

"I kind of assumed we were gonna sneak up on them, but okay," Scanlan shrugged as they all step out onto the stairs since their presence was known. Vax drew his dagger out standing guard for the Briarwoods.

"Vax, please," Athena begged. She didn't want to fight him at all, the possibility was tearing her up. 

"Come on, brother," Vex pleaded but he remained on guard. 

"All right, look. You might as well surrender. You're outnumbered, and there's nowhere to run," Scanlan pointed out.

Delilah snarled as purple arcane energy surrounded her.  "Who's running?" she smirked as she shot the energy out of her palm. 

Everyone jumped off to the side of the stair, narrowingly avoiding the magic except for Grog. The hit blasted him off the ziggurat and down to the ground as he screamed from the pain.

"Grog!" Pike yelled. Percy ran up the stair towards the Briarwoods as it was the only thing his mind was focused on. Vax lunged at him, but the demon seemed to help Percy dodge out of the way. Keyleth froze Vax's foot preventing him from following Percy. 

"Go, Percy!" Vax broke the ice off with the end of his dagger then charged toward Keyleth. Before he reached her, Athena threw herself on him sending them both off the stairs and onto of the floors. Athena pinned him to the ground while holding the hand with his dagger away.

"Vax, stop!" she cried. The brief distraction though allowed him to slice the area between her shoulder guard and bracers. He tossed her off of him and she tumbled to the ground. As he was about to lunge for her, a punch came across his cheek stumbling a few feet back.

"Hey, over brother," Vex called. He took the bait focusing his attention on her as he slashed his dagger at her. Vex weaved through the attacks before sliding down the railing of the stair to a floor below. 

"Go help them! You are the best chance of killing that fucker now," Vex shouted as Vax jumped at her with two daggers in hand. She brought her hands in time to block the attack holding them in a deadlock. As much as Athena wanted to stay and help, it would be extremely hard to get rid of the charm on their own. Their best chance was to kill Sylas to save Vax from the charm. 

She pushed herself off the ground. She drew her sword out of her sheath. Somehow the green hues seemed to highlight the blade as held it out before. She noticed the name for the first time in a while that she etched into the blade when she was young. 

Erathis 

A name she didn't really believe in anymore and wanted to forget. She pushed away her thought. She was only thinking of killing the Briarwoods now.

"I've waited so long for this," Percy sneered, raising his gun up at Sylas.

"You'll have to go through me," Cassandra stood in front of him. Percy's eyes wavered at her action but the smoke pull at him. In their struggle, a shot ran out, hitting the side of the stairs as Cassandra rushed at him with a rapier in hand. She slashed his arm and continued her assault. Percy clutched his arm as he dodged his sister's attacks, leading them off the side of the stairs. 

"I'll hold Sylas!" Keyleth yelled as she sent vines out that surround his body.

"More of your little weeds?" he easily broke out, "Child's play." He dashed forward at her as she summoned icicle to block him. His fist shattered it as Keyleth sent a barrage of elemental magic at him. He dodged them with ease due to his enhanced speed. Keyleth panted from the exertion as Sylas summoned his sword.

"Fresh blood for my blade," he smiled as he brought down the sword. Keyleth raised her arm in defense but a golden shield appeared in front of her stopping the attack.

"Oh hell no!" Pike roared as she and Athena reached the top of the stairs. She flung her mace at him but he deflected it with his sword. He swung his sword at Keyleth. While she moved out of the way, he brought his fist to her stomach knocking the air out of her and sending her flying across the ziggurat. She hit one of the towers coming from the structure before falling to the ground unconscious. 

"Keyleth!" Pike yelled as Sylas laughed. Pike sent a blast of radiant energy at him as Athena ran forward bringing her sword across his thigh. 

"How about for my blade," Athena swung again but Sylas jumped over her toward Pike. She jumped out of the way as his sword slammed into the ground, breaking the step. 

Pike sent another blast at him as he swung at her again but she brought up her shield. Athena rushed forward swinging her sword. He blocked her attempt this time as the two of them began trading swings. One slash with one block. Over and over. The sound of their swords hitting each other echoed throughout the cavern. Pike jumped bringing her mace down over his head. To avoid the hit, he turned his attention to her knocking her to the ground. This gave Athena the opportunity to pierce her sword through his abdomen. He cried out in pain as Pike brought down her mace pinning his sword to the ground. However, her form began to flicker in and out.

"No, no, no, no, no. Don't fade. Not now!"

Sylas pulled himself off Athena's sword, the wound already closing up. He took his opportunity to pull his own sword from under the flicker mace. Pike's form fully came back as Athena and she began to trade blows together against Sylas. 

"Ugh, out of tune?" Scanlan said as he tried to fix his lute to help Pike and Athena out. "Ah, fuck it. Whitestone Ziggurat! Are you ready to rock?!" As he went to strum the lute to perform his spell, his voice became muffled and the spell stopped. 

"What? What the...? What in the heck is going on? What?" Scanlan tried to break his voice out. He look to the top of the ziggurat and saw Delilah staring down with a smirk plastered on her face.

"Shh," she whispered as placed her finger against her mouth. She ran and jumped her ledge firing a blot of necrotic energy down at Scanlan. Only muffled whimpering was able to be heard by him as he ran around dodging the attacks. 

"Damn it," Pike muttered as she saw Scanlan's position. Sylas swung down his sword at her as she brought her mace up to block it.

"Keep your eyes on me," Sylas boasted. 

Athena slammed her knee into his side pushing him away from her. He growled in anger as lunged for her and Pike. Athena grabbed Pike's hand taking her to the railing. Pike summon her shield for them to use to slide down as Sylas caught up with them. Athena and Sylas traded blows against their swords with each other until he slammed the sword into her shoulder guard. The metal cracked under the pressure as it sent both her and Pike across the ziggurat into a pillar. They had barely any time for a breath as he flung the sword at them. They both threw themselves out of the way as Sylas caught his sword with one hand. 

Sylas laughed as Athena reared in pain. The metal from her now cracked armor was now cutting into her shoulder. She could feel the blood coming from the wound. Each movement she made was like a dagger repeating slashing into her. 

"Yes! Your blood will soon be mine," Sylas laughed as dashed forward at them.

Pike threw her shield and mace at him forcing him to duck. Despite the pain she was in, Athena brought her sword up with just her right arm to block his sword. He grabbed her neck throwing her into the Pike sending them both soaring up the ziggurat. Athena turned them around while in the air allowing Pike to send divine lighting toward him, crackling in the air. Sylas ran up the railing as they landed on the ground. He swapped the sword wide but they both dodged under the blade. He swung again but Athena block his attacks while kicking her leg into him sending him back. Pike threw her mace again at him and sent more radiant bolts of energy at him. He jumped away from the attacks landing on top of the stairs. Athena boosted Pike up as flew into the air calling down holy fire onto Sylas. 

Pike landed back on the ground next to Athena as she dropped to her knees in pain. Pike raised her hand to heal her as she noticed Scanlan was still running from Delilah. 

"I'm fine Pike," Athena said as she shoved her fingers into the crack of the armor. She used her strength to pull the edge out of her shoulder, bending it so that it wouldn't continue cutting the wound open. "Go help him," she reassured. Pike gave a nod as she ran towards Scanlan and Delilah.

Athena look back towards the twins as they were still engaged in their fight. Vex was clearly holding back still as she didn't want to harm her brother but he clearly was going all out. Keyleth was coming to consciousness. She shakingly stood up as she surveyed the battlefield. 

Vex ran over to her, "Keyleth do something!" she begged.

"I can't," she gasped as she fell back onto the ground.

"Please!" 

Two daggers embedded themselves into Vex as her brother came around placing her into a chokehold.  A dagger reappeared in Vax's hand and he brought it up to Vex's face. As he was to plunge it into her. A hand grabbed his arm squeezing the dagger out and forcing him to drop it. His arm was pulled back and twisted around. Vex dropped to the ground gasping for air. 

Athena tossed Vax away from the two of them. He was able to catch him and he gracefully slid across the stone. 

"I can't let you kill your sister," Athena panted from exhaustion along with blood loss from her wound. "You will never forgive yourself for it."

Vax just narrowed his eyes at her, a yellow glow gleamed off of his eyes. He brought his dagger up as he prepared to strike. Athena drew in a deep breath as she brought her fist up. 

"Forgive me, Vax."

Vax lunged at her with quick speed. The dagger scratched her right bracer as she deflected. He summoned his other dagger as he swap at her with it. She blocked it with her left arm and attempted to grab his arm. He had the same idea as he took her right arm and threw her down into the ground. He jumped on top of her with a dagger clutched in his hands. She brought her hands up in time to move it just in time to where it only grazed her cheek. She felt the sting of it as blood rushed down her face. 

Vax brought the dagger up again to attack but she held him up there. Her arms were shaking from the force. Vax turned his head away from her as his dagger inched closer to her. 

"It's okay."

Vax's breath hitched, tears weld up in his eyes as he couldn't stop his muscles from pushing the dagger closer. 

"Vax, look at me," she said. His face slowly turned towards, the tears threatening to fall. 

"It's okay. I will be okay," she smiled. The dagger was a mere inch from her throat. She just continue to look into his eyes to give him comfort. 

She wasn't afraid. 

She was glad she could die by his side. 

A sudden bright light erupted around them causing Vax to stop. Keyleth stood on the side of the tower with her staff wrapped around the Sun Tree's roots. Vax's eyes flickered, the charm faltering. He was tackled off Athena by Vex. She tied his hand with her bow and began punching him in the face. 

"Please don't make me do this brother," she cried as she continued punching him. 

"Fuck!" Vax spat blood out of his mouth as regained control of his body. "Vex is that y...?"

She punched him again, grunting with each impact against him, tears pooling in her eyes. 

"Would you stop hitting me?!" he yelled. Vex stopped as she look at her brother whose face was now swollen and already bruised. She let out a gasp looking at him before she let out a sob, hugging him tightly. 

"Don't ever do that to me again. I was ready to kill you just now." 

"My face believes you," he chuckled hugging her back. He looked around, trying to find Athena. "Where did The go?" he croaked. Vex look over and she had disappeared from her spot. 

"She was just...," she began as she looked around now too. She helped her brother sit up both of them taking a second a catch their breaths. Vax's face turned sorrowful as he realized what happened

"I almost killed the both of you."

"It wasn't your fault, Vax. You weren't yourself. It's okay."

It's okay

Vax remembered what Athena said to him. He quickly tried to rise to his feet. He needed to find her and help the others. As stood up, he almost fell back down but his sister caught him. 

"Don't strain yourself. I just got you back," she smiled. 

Sylas looked over to Keyleth. His powers were weakened due to the sunlight and it seemed to be boasting the strength of everyone else. 

"I'll take care of this, darling," he said as ran towards Keyleth. A giant boulder flung towards him forcing his attention away. She sliced through the rock as it crumbled into pieces. 

"Ah...we meet again," he said as Grog came over the top panting. 

"How's about you and me go for a rematch?" he grunted holding his axe up.

"Not tired of losing to me, oaf?"

"Oh." Sylas turned as Athena stood behind him with her blade drawn at the ready. "We are just getting started."

Grog ran forward at Sylas, leaping into the air. He dodged his attack as Grog slammed his axe into the ground. Athena dashed forward with Grog as the two attempted to land a blow on him. Due to their injuries, they weren't fast enough to hit him. Sylas quickly slashed Grog's body a few times and sped around to kick Athena into Grog. The spilled blood entered the blade, empowering it. Grog retaliated by swinging his axe toward him. However, his movement was stopped as Sylas' eyes glowed trying to invoke the charm on him. 

"Perhaps it's time we point all that muscle and fury elsewhere."

"Shit, Grog!" Athena yelled as Grog's eyes glowed yellow as well. If he was turned, then she was royally fucked. 

"No. I know what you're doing," Grog said as shut his eyes, "Don't try and seduce me." 

"What? I'm not trying to..."

Grog began to swing his axe wildly in front of him. Athena had to step out of the way for the fear of being hit by the axe. 

"You can't even see me," Sylas mocked. 

"If I don't know where I'm swinging, then neither will you," Grog growled as he landed his axe into his stomach. Sylas coughed out blood as he was sent backward with the axe still in him.

Grog laughed looking at Athena, "Whoo! It worked!" She couldn't help but smile at his success. Grog charged at Sylas taking the axe out of him. 

"Real men hug!" he cried as he held Sylas against turning towards Keyleth. 

"Get off me!" Sylas strained against the hold. 

"Okay, Keyleth. Hit him!" He yelled at her. 

Keyleth summoned more of the Sun Tree's power toward her. The roots around her shine brightly with radiant energy as they sent their energy to her. It was a beautiful sight. 

Sylas continue to struggle against Grog's hold. He dug his nails into Grog's side causing him to grunt from the pain. It didn't last long though as Sylas' hands were cut off, falling to the ground. Athena had lunged and swapped her blade gracefully around Grog for the attack. Sylas cried out from the pain since his regeneration was not working under Keyleth's power. 

Athena stood up and walk up to Sylas as his skin was sizzling from the light, "I told you. Your death would be painful." 

"Grog. Athean. I don't want to hit you guys," Keyleth strained as held up a ball of pure energy above her head, readying to rain it power down. 

"I can take it. Athena, get behind me!" Grog shouted. Athena ran, placing her body against Grog's back, preparing for the impact. 

"But...," Keyleth cried.

"Just do it!" they both screamed. 

Keyleth reared back before shooting the energy forth. The blast that hit them felt like the hottest sun shining down upon them. While Grog was taking most of the impact, Athena could feel her skin burning up especially inside her metal armor as a conductor of heat. She could hear Sylas scream from the pain as his body burned away. She could see Delilah across the platform silently screaming for her husband but it was too late. Keyleth sent more of it down upon them until she could no longer hear Sylas. 

Once the blast ended, Athena turned around to see Grog with burn marks across the front of his body holding the corpse of Sylas. Grog moved a few inches which caused his body to melt away into ash around them. 

Delilah let out a terrifying scream breaking the hold of the spell Scanlan placed on her. She sent out a shockwave that knocked everyone down to the ground. 

"Athena! Grog!" Vax called. With the help of his sister, he limped towards the pair of them. Grog stood up while she remained on the ground. 

"Huh?" Grog looked down at her, "Let me help you there buddy," He reached down pulling her up. Her feet wobbled a bit but she managed to stand on her own.

Athena noticed the twins approaching them turning to address all of them, "Sorry, I think everything is catching up to me..." 

Before she could finish Vax embraced her in a hug. It wasn't a tight hug due to both of their injuries but one that they needed. Athena immediately returned the hug. 

"I'm glad you are back with us," she whispered. 

"Me too," he breathed out pushing his head closer to her.

"Guys, come one! She has locked herself in!" Scanlan shouted down from the top. The four limped their way up to the top where the rest of them were gathered near the down, Cassandra freed of the charm now as well. 

"Here gather close," Pike said as she held out her hand. Magic began to encase all of them and Athena felt her injuries heal. They all returned to their healthy selves.

"Thanks, love," Vex replied. 

"Open the door!" Percy yelled as repeatedly banged on it, "I need to get in there now!" 

Grog grabbed Percy's arm, "Take it easy. She ain't going nowhere." Scanlan walked up to the keyhole, peeing through it.

"What can you see?" Vex asked. 

"Uh... You wouldn't believe me if I told you. We got to unlock this door."

"I don't suppose anyone has a key?" Vax groaned knowing he would have to pick the lock. They could hear Delilah chanting inside as Vax worked on the lock. All of their anxiety rose not knowing what she was doing.

"Vax, come on. We got to hurry it up now," Pike said. 

"This ain't working. Just let me hit it," Grog offered. 

"Hurry, hurry! Must go faster. Must go faster," Scanlan prompted.

"What's happening in there?" Vex asked. 

"Shut up and let me work. Hold your breath if you can't do anything else," Vax silenced them. 

"You can do this. We're right behind you. Plus, the whole world is at stake, so try not to fuck up."

"You always know what I need to hear, stubby," he said as the lock clicked open. Wind blew at them as the door flung open.

"Move aside!" Percy ran past all of them into the temple. Delilah was attempting to do a summoning ritual. Lighting was striking against the wall of undead that were moving about.

"Delilah, stop!" Percy shouted as he spun the chamber of the pepperbox. He brought the gun up and fired several rounds at her but she used her magic to deflect them. 

"Give her everything you've got!" Vax yelled as they all rushed in at her with their weapons. Dark veins spread across Delilah's face as she sent another shockwave from her body, knocking them all back and hitting the walls. 

Keyleth sent her vines toward her, wrapping them around her arm. Delilah broke free from them sending a bolt of necrotic energy at her, throwing her against the wall. 

"Keyleth!" Athena shouted. Keyleth's body lay there unconscious from the blow. 

"Bear witness as I unleash him unto this world!" Delilah yelled. The energy erupted around the room, lighting dancing around their feet. 

"Shit, we are not going to stop her," Pike cried. 

Vex ran forward, behind Delilah, notching an arrow onto her bowstring. She pulled the arrow back releasing it as soared into Delilah's back. She turned around, her eyes piercing into Vex.

"You. I'll see you suffer for what you have taken from me!" she yelled as she blasted dark energy toward her. Vex could only stand there as it traveled at her, closing her eyes to brace for the impact.

"No!"

Vex opened her eyes as she heard a gasp. A piece of metal shattered across her vision as she saw Athena before her with a bolt of necrotic power piercing through her chest. Athena fell forward, lifeless. 

"Athena!" Vex caught Athena in her arms. The left part of her chest plate, where it was originally cracked, was completely gone. Vex brought her down to the ground but a shockwave flew the two of them back. An image of a skeletal figure appeared before Delilah. 

"Yes, reveal yourself!"

The lighting crackled across the entire temple as it shot upwards through the ceiling. The bright green light blinded them. 

As the dust cleared, the corpses along the walls lost their energy as they returned to their motionless state. The formed vanished before them leaving a spinning orb in its place. 

"No, you promised," Delilah cried, "This can't be all that there is!"

Two gunshots struck her. The smoke surrounded Percy as he pointed his gun at her while she dropped to the ground. 

"What did you do you that?" Vex gasped as she held Athena. Her eyes were devoid of color with blood trickling out of her mouth. "Pike help me!"

The group's attention fell on the two of them. Vax's pupils constricted as he saw Athena's body in his sister's arms. Pike ran forward to them, placing her hand on Athena. 

"She's still alive but barely. I need to do this quickly before...," 

Pike's form poofed out in front of them. The group gasped as remnants of it the magic gently hovered in the air like speckles of dust. 

"No. No, no. Please, no. Pike?" Vex reached out. Tears streamed down her eyes at the thought of losing her. Losing her friend. Vax knelt down to her. 

"Pike's gone. Vex, look at me," he grabbed her shoulder forcing her to face him.

"Sister, she's gone, and Athena will be, too, if we don't do something fast."

--------------------------------------------------------

Dun, Dun, Dun....

Poor Athena got hit with everything in this chapter. 

I might have got a bit carried away a bit but I spent a lot of time thinking about this chapter. This and The Tide of Bone are what really started my inspiration to do the fanfic. I hope I did it justice as I know that it was a very action-packed in this episode of the show. Hopefully, I will get better for next season's chapters since those are action-packed as well. 

I know that some of you were expecting them to kiss this chapter but don't worry I promise I will not make you wait as long as Vax and Keyleth. That slow burn is killing me on the inside especially since we got literally nothing in season 2. Next season they better kiss is all I am saying. 

I'm sorry this update took longer than my usual timeline. I got hit with a research paper that I needed to do before this weekend. But it's done for now and I'm so glad I am back into writing. I hope you all forgive me. 

The next chapter will be a treat, especially for those of you who are into Critical Role/Dnd lore. Some of you may have noticed the hint I put in this chapter for things to come. I have been doing lots of research and planning for events to come in the next season of the show. 

That's all for now. Until next time!

Don't forget to comment and vote! Appreciate you all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37K 953 36
Ophelia Alastair used to be a Nobel and betrothed to the one and only Percival De Rolo. But then the Briarwoods came and not only took away Percy's f...
32.1K 944 32
(Currently on Hiatus Till Season 3 Comes Out) In a magical realm called Exandria is a group of mercenaries called Vox Machina. They're misfits turned...
4.7K 140 12
In a magical realm called Exandria is a group of mercenaries called Vox Machina. They're misfits turned mercenaries for hire taking jobs in Tal'Dorei...
9.6K 301 14
Zia Zircon. The final member of Vox Machina. Her skin was made of stone. Her amethyst eyes-quite literally crystallized- were more enchanting than an...