Motivated to be lazy

By pl_obsidian

Ayanokouji X Ichinose Adopted by the Sakayanagi family at a young age. Ayanokouji Kiyotaka wants nothing more... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
SS Leadership
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
SS Public Humiliation
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
SS The day my life flashed before my eyes
SS A lesson from a perfect being
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
SS Puzzles
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
SS The dragons empty victory
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
SS Now I sit broken hearted
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
SS Who knows
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
SS my time to shine
SS There's no such thing as loyalty
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
SS The Bet
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
SS The worth of a soul
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
SS The Article
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
SS Why didn't I choose you?
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
SS Hiding in plain sight
SS A deal with a devil
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
SS King's Gambit
SS You're my friend
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
SS "Dirty" Tactics
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
SS Unlikely Alliances
Chapter 55

Chapter 46

4.1K 195 251
By pl_obsidian

A/N: Hello everyone... How's everybody doing? Did we all enjoy the latest volume? I know I did : D.

After reading the new volume, I decided to get off my lazy ass and write the last chapter of 4.5. From here on out it'll be the sports festival and there's going to be some pretty big canon divergences so I hope whatever this feeble mind comes up with will be good reading for you guys.

Hope you all enjoy it.

If you ask people around the school to describe me as a person I'm sure that you would receive many different characteristics depending on whom you speak to. Honami would say that I was sweet and cute, that smirking bastard would probably say something along the lines of annoying or sarcastic, others who I don't like would more than likely think I'm an asshole and then there would be others who would think that I'm cold and aloof.

All of these descriptions would be true to some extent, although I'd argue the cute part. Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is not cute. Hell, I wouldn't even describe myself as sweet. That description is purely colored with rose-tinted glasses. I could pick my nose and Honami would think it was cute rather than disgusting.

Very few in this school have seen my charismatic side. It's only because I've never had to. Why should I uselessly charm those around me when being my usual normal self is adequate?

This time was different.

Unlike last night when it was an impromptu meeting where I wasn't expected to be there, most of it was spent with introductions and speaking with people I already knew. Hoshinomiya wanted me to transfer but she knew it was a long shot. Even if she wanted it to happen and hadn't given up on the possibility of making it a reality, she knew the chances were slim. There was a reason why she shadowed me the entire night, carefully watching my every move and more than likely ready to step in and hinder me at a moment's notice if necessary.

This time it would be more relaxed. This time I'd be able to probe them for information they probably wouldn't be as forthright with giving.

"Ah! Ayanokouji-kun is here already!"

Turning over my shoulder I was surprised to see a line-up I wasn't expecting. While Amikura Mako was one of the people invited, I wasn't expecting to see Eiichiro and Sudo following alongside her. While that was a surprise in and of itself, what was even more surprising was Eiichiro's physical state.

He was grinning sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. It didn't take long to notice the bruised cheek and busted lip though as I suddenly began to boil with rage.

Both Sudo and Mako recognized it instantly, both watching me cautiously as I got up from my seat and looked over Eiichiro's injuries who continued to grin without faltering.

"What happened to you?" I asked.

Eiichiro's grin morphed into a proud smile.

"I acted like a leader,"

"By having your head treated like a pinata?"

"You should see the other guy,"

"Who's the other guy?"

"None of your business," Eiichiro said firmly.

This bravado wasn't based on confidence, it was based on fear. He didn't have to say it for me to know, Eiichiro was worried about what I would do to whoever caused these injuries. It wasn't out of concern about Class Points either, our friendship transcended trivial things like that.

Inside the White Room things such as accolades and prizes were meaningless. Your accomplishments within that place were what mattered. Chess Rankings, Academic recognition. There wasn't any need for it, your greatest asset was obscurity. People not knowing what you were capable of, letting their guard down around you in order to infiltrate whatever agency you needed to in obscurity.

People like me had no need for personality, only for ability. No need for adulation, only proficiency.

Life on the outside wasn't like that, everything was a show of strength and ego. It's why the moment I was assessed, the Government informed my father that I would be registered as a professional fighter once I was eligible. Japanese laws prevent professional fighters from raising a hand to anyone who isn't a professional fighter, even in self-defense. It was yet another mechanism of control that they wanted against me, just in case I decided that I would get out of pocket and use whatever I had learned both inside and out of the White Room.

While I was smart enough to figure out ways to evade any form of repercussions for my actions, it didn't mean that the Government would sit behind me idly and indulge my every whim. That was simply another shackle that they wanted to put on me in order to keep me under control. I may have left the White Room but the truth is that I simply traded one master for another.

I was warned that there would be severe consequences if I put my hands on someone while in school. A fact that Eiichiro was informed of when his father asked him to watch out for me.

One glance at Sudo told me that this had to do with the idiot trio, this invitation seemed to be impromptu. Mako must have either been a witness or heard of it from Eiichiro and decided to invite the two along. The way she was looking at Eiichiro's handling of the situation seemed to bring about a new set of revelations of problems as she looked up at him with an air of awe in her eyes.

"I'm guessing you're joining us? Mako-chan invite you two?" I asked, changing the subject.

"It's not exactly a closed meeting or anything like that, I can invite them along," Mako brushed me off with a wave of her hand as Honami and the others arrived behind her.

"Of course," Himeno smiled awkwardly.

The groups melded together, casually chatting as they all introduced themselves. Shibata, Hamaguchi and Watanabe didn't seem to have any issues with being outgoing, all three of them moving to Sudo, Mako and Eiichiro and chatting comfortably. Sudo seemed to meld right in, Eiichiro's influence had made him more friendly. Taking charge of the introductions, Mako looped her hand into the crook of Eiichiro's elbow while pointing people out.

My focus was on Kanzaki who continued to stare at me calculatingly with Himeno by his side. Noticing the staring contest, Honami quickly moved in front of me before snaking her arms around my neck in a hug and forcibly tugging my gaze to her.

"Good morning sweetheart," Honami said sweetly.

I could feel that suspicious part of me start to build as I watched the plotting strawberry blonde in front of me. While I'd fallen into her food trap once before, I also knew that much like Arisu who only called me 'Onii-chan' when she was trying to mess with me, Honami did the same with the pet names when she wanted something or when she was being playful.

"What do you want?" I asked suspiciously.

The skeptical question didn't dampen her spirits in the slightest as she continued to smile up at me as though the others in the group didn't even exist.

"Nothing, I don't have an agenda just because I'm being sweet with you," Honami scoffed.

I continued to hum suspiciously as I looked at her with skeptical eyes. It hadn't affected her in the slightest as she continued to smile.

"You were very nice to everyone last night, everyone spoke very highly of you. I was a little worried that you may be a little bit... abrasive with them but you were very charming. I'm so proud,"

"But..."

"Well..." Honami trailed off, glancing over her shoulder to make sure that everyone's attention was averted. "I would appreciate it very much if you would put aside your... dislike of Kanzaki-kun and be civil with him for today."

"No agenda my ass," I scoffed.

"I know that you don't like Kanzaki-kun because of how everything played out with my class," Honami continued on as if I hadn't said anything.

"However, Kanzaki-kun doesn't have ill intentions. He just wants to get to Class A, whatever road that takes. It's nothing personal and I didn't take it that way and neither should you. Everything with my class is fine now,"

"That's not the only problem that I have with him," I said under my breath, chancing a glance at him as he stood awkwardly by himself while the others continued to chat.

"Well, what is your problem with him?" Honami asked curiously.

"Lots of things. Sometimes in life you just meet someone and you don't like them. I don't know, he reminds me of all those stuck-up rich kids I hated growing up,"

That was part of it but it wasn't all of it. There were little hints of it but I'm certain that he was the one pulling Himeno's strings and turning the class against Honami's leadership. While it suited me not to have Honami as Class B's leader anymore, there was something about him that just annoys me. It was that air of entitlement, that selfishness where he seemed to think that just because Class A was the most important to him that everyone else should, simply because it was what he wanted.

It also seemed like he didn't even have the backbone to do it himself, using Himeno as a figurehead since the class already voted against him to lead the class when he ran against Honami at the beginning of the year.

"Kiyotaka, I'm going to let you in on a little secret that I'm not sure anyone has told you," Honami said in a hushed whisper, motioning for me to move closer.

I leaned my head down with my ear close to Honami's lips.

"You're a stuck-up rich kid," Honami whispered teasingly.

"Alright lovebirds, enough with that. Let's go!" Eiichiro called out to us as the group made their way to the entrance.

Like a little kid that got the last laugh, Honami untangled herself from me and ran after the group before entangling her arm with Mako and starting a conversation. Just as she got through the archway, she quickly turned over her shoulder and stuck her tongue out at me.

Unfortunately, the only person who didn't tag along with the group and moved slower than the others was Kanzaki. The two of us shared an awkward glance before I started to the entrance. Hoping he'd get the hint that I wasn't going to wait for him and walk behind me, he quickened his pace a little before falling into step beside me as we made our way up the stairs.

I had no intentions of speaking to him but apparently he had other ideas.

"I didn't expect you to show up," Kanzaki observed.

"Himeno invited me and I agreed. It'd be rude not to show after that," I answered.

Kanzaki didn't seem to have a biting remark to rebut with, the conversation died almost immediately as we continued up the steps. Just as we got to the entrance Kanzaki paused before turning to me with a question on his mind.

"What do you want? I can't understand someone like you. You have the ability to reach Class A but you choose not to. Why?" Kanzaki asked, seeming to be genuinely confused.

Since I'd confirmed that Himeno had already figured it out, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Kanzaki was aware of my past now. He very well could have been the one who told her. Irrespective, this situation was inevitable. There was no use in denying it or trying to deceive him. There also wasn't any use in giving him what he wanted so easily, I had no obligations to do so.

"What do I want... I wonder," I mused as I walked past him to the boys' change room.

The locker next to Eiichiro seemed to be empty as I made my way over. Throwing my bag inside after grabbing my board shorts, I stripped down naked before throwing my clothes into the locker and changing.

I heard the chatter next to me die down almost immediately.

"What in the hell is that!?" Shibata yelled loudly.

Pausing while changing I looked at him as he stared down at my crotch in shock while Sudo seemed to be just as surprised. Eiichiro grinned in amusement at the reaction of the other two boys while Kanzaki looked over in curiosity just as he started getting ready.

"What's what?" I asked in confusion.

"I think he's talking about that," Eiichiro continued to grin, nodding his head and pointing at my crotch with his chin.

"My dick?"

"That's not a dick, that thing looks like it has its own consciousness," Shibata forced out in shock.

"It does when Ichinose's around," Eiichiro laughed.

Rolling my eyes, I finished changing before rummaging for my towel.

"Holy shit," Shibata said to himself. "Now Sakayanagi-san's present to Ichinose for her birthday makes sense now. Your sister really has a twisted sense of humor,"

"What did she get her?" I asked curiously.

"Ask her yourself," Shibata said cryptically, laughing to himself.

Leaving the boys to their own devices so that they could compare weaponry, I decided to leave the uncomfortable setting to go out into the pool area once I was dressed.

The large pool facility was normally used for club activities and regular practice. The facility was only open to the general school populus during this summertime for a mere three days. Which meant that it was in high demand. As it was the last day, most people had gone the previous days but we were all only allowed in once during the three days that the facility was open.

A number of food stalls were selling junk all over the place, crowds of students everywhere chatting, play and lazing about. All I could see though at the moment was money as I watched students running back and forward between stalls and patrons.

Opening BUDDY on my phone I scanned through the available requests, watching as they disappeared almost instantly. An event like this brought on a lot of potential business, something Sotomura seemed to keep in mind as I watched the rotund boy working up a sweat. He seemed to be business minded, wearing a pink cowboy hat so he stood out as he went back and forth with peoples orders.

I could definitely see why a growing pre-teen populus of boys seemed to be rather aroused if I could be frank. While the school emphasized excellence in terms of academics and strategic importance, a lot of the students here were objectively good looking. The number of unattractive students was high, but the best looking ones seemed to be higher in number. It wasn't at all subtle either, the best looking girls lay tanning on sunbeds while ordering about their minions like they were queens. Boys with good bodies and good looks also seemed to be on the receiving end of gifts and favors as well. The lower end of the student populus seemed to congregate together, all sharing in their pervertedness like some kind of strange hive mind. As if they were kindred spirits, like it wasn't strange to have a group of five or six people all panting over one person.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted my own set of Hyena's who seemed to drink in my topless form. I wish I had the forsight to get a rashguard...

"You're already here!?" Honami said in surprise, hugging me from behind.

Judging by the amount of material pressing into my back, I deduced that she decided to wear her school issue one-piece swimsuit. Something that I was grateful for even if that showed too much skin for my liking too. Still, at least it was better than that cursed bikini. Unless we were in my room, then it was more than okay...

I don't like people looking at what's mine.

Turning around, I looked her up and down without shame. Honami noticed immediately, averting her eyes and shyly shifting her weight between her feet.

"Stop looking at me like that," Honami sputtered, clearly flustered.

"Looking at you like what?"

"Like that... You have that look in your eyes again,"

"What look?"

"That look," Honami said meekly, not elaborating at all.

I relented, not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable. I looked at her like that often, it's not like it was the first time. The only thing different was the setting, outside in the pool area rather than in the privacy of our dorms. She never seemed to mind then but the piercing gazes of bystanders seemed to make her flustered. All of that was gone when she had her senses about her again and she looked at my torso as if in a trance before reaching out a dainty hand to poke her finger into my chest.

"Y-you've... Really started to fill out more," Honami stuttered out, changing from the tip of her finger to running the palm of her hand down my stomach.

"I've put on weight," I frowned, looking down to see my bottom two abs start to disappear with all the food that Honami's been shovelling down my throat lately.

I wasn't sure if this was normal for couples but since we returned from the island Honami had been routinely ordering more food than she'd normally eat, eat a few bites and then say she was too full. Looking up at me with upturned eyes, she'd ask me to finish it for her only for me to relent as if I was under her thumb. This resulted in far more training than normal, trying to keep my weight manageable.

I watched as Honami continued to trace her hand back up from my stomach to my upper arms as if she'd forgotten that we were in public at the pool.

"Good... it's working," Honami said to herself.

"What's working?"

As if my voice snapped her out of her stupor, she suddenly looked up startled. Looking around, she noticed the girls coming out from the changeroom with the rest of the guys.

"Look, they're here! Let's go get a spot before they're all gone. Come on Bak- Kiyotaka," Honami smiled.

Why did I feel like I was missing something?

The group made their way towards the back where a small shaded area looked vacant for a group our size. There were three pools in the facility, all currently being used for different games and activities. Walking hand in hand with Honami I took note of the different facilities. One pool for standard swimming, another with a current for leisure and finally a pool mainly geared for sports.

As we walked to the area, a voice called out to me and I was surprised to turn and see Onodera running on the tips of her toes towards us before she came to a frantic stop as she slipped on her feet at the last second. Darting out a hand I grabbed her by the elbow to stop her falling before she smiled at me in thanks, waving at everyone in attendance politely.

"Ayanokouji-kun, our swimming coach wants to meet you," Onodera explained.

"Oh?" I hummed in thought.

"Yeah, we saw you come in and he asked if I knew you. I told him about how we're in the same class and he asked about our swimming lesson and your time. He seemed like he already expected it but wanted to know if you'd be interested in training with our relay team, do you have some time?"

Looking at the group while Sudo and the others didn't seem surprised since I'd won the race, the others in Class B looked a little curious as to why I'd be recruited and what time I could have achieved to deserve it.

"I'm kind of here just to play. Besides, there really isn't any point. I'm on the Student Council, we're pretty busy. I don't think I have the time to join any clubs."

Onodera looked a little disappointed but persisted.

"Still, we're having a race at the moment and we're short one. Could you join my team as my anchor?"

Shibata was the first one to ask the question that was on the rest of Class B's minds.

"What time did you clock in at the race?"

"21.6 seconds," Onodera gushed with praise. "He's faster than anyone on our swim team, I couldn't believe it when I took the time."

I wanted to facepalm in frustration, I was planning to go slow. I didn't want this kind of attention as the rest of Class B turned around in shock, even Honami who knows how physically capable I am was surprised.

"Thank you Onodera," I forced out with gritted teeth. "I'll just drop my stuff off where we're planning to settle and I'll come over."

I felt the muscles in my back tense in annoyance when Onodera suddenly turned around and yelled at the top of her lungs to her team in excitement, basically announcing it to everyone at the pool.

"HE SAID HE'LL RACE WITH US!"

I groaned in frustration while Honami rubbed my back soothingly, visibly noticing the change in my mood. While everyone else in Class B were busy talking about my physical ability, Honami seemed to forget about what Onodera had revealed to them out of concern for my mood.

"21.6 seconds... That's insanely fast," Shibata said to himself.

"I'm not sure why we're surprised, Ayanokouji-kun has the highest OAA score out of the first year," Mako reminded them.

We continued to walk dropping our stuff off. While setting everything up I couldn't help but notice Shibata's expression darken a little. Perhaps it was jealousy? Who knows. On our way, I waved at Sotomura who just finished making a drop off and waited as he made his way over to us, Honami smiling and waving at him when she noticed him approaching.

"Sotomura-kun! Hard at work again?" Honami greeted him kindly.

"Ah, Ichinose-hime. I hope you've enjoyed the latest volume you borrowed from me?"

"Almost finished, I'll give it back to you once I'm done,"

"As you wish, Ichinose-hime," Sotomura bowed. "I'll have Baki-Dou ready for you, that's the next in the series. I think you'll like it."

While Karuizawa seemed to think he was a weirdo, strangely the Class B girls seemed to giggle at the way he was speaking. Something Sotomura noticed instantly and puffed out his chest ready for a showy greeting before I grabbed him by the back of his shirt to stop him.

"Alright alright," I said shortly. "You're on the clock, how many points to watch our stuff while I take care of this mess that Onodera put me in?"

"Five hundred," Sotomura answered quickly, adjusting his glasses as he instantly shifted to business mode.

"Are you tired of living or something?" I threatened with my hand raised. "Five hundred points to sit here for five minutes? We're supposed to be friends."

"There are no friends in business, Ayanokouji-dono," Sotomura said sagely. "Five hundred points, I'll let you send it to me directly so that you're not charged the additional two hundred through BUDDY."

The original threat was made as a joke but now I actually was annoyed. This greedy bastard. He was taking jobs without using BUDDY and costing me my skim. Irrespective, I couldn't get mad without revealing that I was getting points from the app so I bit my tongue and forced myself to calm down.

"Fine," I said begrudgingly. "See if I ever contribute to Class Points from now on you greedy shit,"

"What was that?" Eiichiro called out from behind me.

Honami giggled from my side but said nothing, thanking Sotomura for the loaned manga and for helping us out. The others made their way to good viewing spots at the bleachers while I made my way to the pool only to watch as Nagumo swam to the edge of the pool where they were originally playing volleyball, his game stopping as the players and his audience seemed to want a break so that they could watch me race. He exited the pool swiftly before making his way to the viewing area with his party, approaching Honami and the group and greeting them.

I watched as that snake-like bastard greeted her, taking a seat next to her with the rest of his group molding into one with ours. Honami greeted him politely, excitedly saying hello to Kushida as the three started to talk. Regardless of what I thought of Nagumo, I trusted Honami but it didn't stop the green eyed monster bubbling in my chest.

I just wanted this to be over with.

I greeted the others as Onodera introduced me. The swimming coach, Tanaka-sensei shook my hand with so much enthusiasm it may as well have fallen off. Many of the teachers pretended not to know who I was, it didn't seem too out of place with the other swim team members though. Many of them mistook his enthusiasm for curiosity on whether or not Onodera was telling the truth about my time.

"Ayanokouji, good to meet you," Tanaka-sensei greeted me excitedly. "I can't believe I'll finally get to see you race in person, I'm looking forward to it. You'll be in Onodera's team with Yokoyama and Takahashi here, introduce yourselves and decide on your positions. This will be a medley race so best of luck. The winners will be getting two thousand points each so do your best."

The amount was pocket change to me but the others must be hard on points because I watched as the other team members all started to burn with fire in their eyes. I was on the receiving end of glares, most likely many of them had yet to be noticed by their coach. Points from a club like this would be distributed as rewards based on performance but there was always a degree of favoritism. I sighed with exasperation as Onodera took me along with the other two girls on our team to decide on our legs.

"We're already at a disadvantage," Yokoyama-senpai frowned. "Ayanokouji-kun is the only boy on our team and the others have at least two."

"Don't worry, Senpai," Onodera assured her with confidence. "Ayanokouji-kun is faster than Ichigo-senpai and Nakamura-senpai. I think we should put him at anchor, I don't know how good he is at other strokes but his freestyle was like lightning. Besides, Yokoyama-senpai's the fastest at butterfly out of all of the girls, she should be able to keep the race tight."

"Do you think you can win, Ayanokouji-kun?" Yokoyama-senpai asked me.

"I think he can, don't worry," Takahashi-senpai brushed off her concerns. "Horikita-san speaks really highly of him. I trust him, he'll do his best. We'll go with Onodera's plan, seems like she has it all figured out."

Yokoyama-senpai didn't look convinced but they didn't have any other options, walking with Onodera to the other side of the pool and waiting for their starting mark, Takahashi-senpai nudged me with her elbow. Looking down at her, she smiled up at me before pumping her fists in front of her chest. She had the typical female swimmers physique, broad shouldered for a girl with powerful looking legs. Her cap covered all of her hair but judging by the bulge at the top her hair was long, with striking hazel eyes.

"I'm in Horikita-san's class, just to let you know. He really speaks highly of you, I wasn't lying. Although, Tachibana-san has... far less nice things to say about you," Takahashi-senpai said kindly.

"Bunbun-senpai is just a tsundere. Deep down inside she loves me,"

"Somehow I doubt that," Takahashi-senpai laughed. "Anyway, don't worry about anything. Win or lose just do your best. Besides, it's not like everyone at the pool is watching us or anything."

With her final joke she sweeped her arm towards the stands where just about everyone had stopped with their activities and waited to watch while yelling over each other. I couldn't help but notice what seemed like second and third year students all taking bets as they waited for the race to start.

"Thanks, you really calmed my nerves," I said sarcastically.

"Wow, Horikita-san wasn't kidding. You really are sarcastic as hell," Takahashi-senpai laughed, slapping me on the back.

"Hey, hey, Hana-chan," One of the other swimmers called to Takahashi-senpai, shoving me aside and wrapping an arm over her shoulders. "You don't really think this guy's going to beat me do you? Stop giving the kid false hope,"

Takahashi-senpai glared at him, wrenching his arm off her shoulders and shoving him back.

"Get lost, Ichigo-kun. I never gave you permission to use my first name, when are you going to stop being an ass?"

"Ah, come on. Don't be like that Hana-chan, we've been teammates for years now. Surely we're past the formal stage by now aren't we?"

"Not in a million years, Ichigo-kun. My answer was no yesterday, last week, last month and last year. Go find someone else. Not. Interested," Takahashi-senpai said poking his chest with her finger.

"Alright, alright," Ichigo-senpai laughed with his hands raised in surrender. "Just don't go crying when the kid makes you lose. Nothing personal, Ayanokouji-kun. I just hate losing and I'm not starting today,"

"None taken," I shrugged. "It'd be embarrassing to get beaten by someone who swims as a hobby, I understand."

Ichigo-senpai clapped me on the shoulder before returning to his lane, blowing a kiss at Takahashi-senpai who was fuming with anger. Before I could say anything, she reached up and grabbed my earlobe before tugging me down as I yelped in surprise.

"You better not lose," Takahashi-senpai threatened me seriously.

"What happened to do your best?"

"Just shut up and win," Takahashi-senpai snapped.

I gingerly nursed my now drooping earlobe as the starter gun went off and Onodera dived expertly into the pool. Her backstroke was ferocious, incredibly impressive for a girl. It was obvious she trained hard and took this seriously. She broke the water last and powered through with all of her effort but only managed to hit the wall third out of the four teams, barely a microsecond later Takahashi-senpai was already off the block powering with a breast stroke with all her might.

"I'm sorry, Ayanokouji-kun. I tried to keep up," Onodera gasped as I held out my hand and pulled her out of the pool.

"It's fine, good job," I praised her as she got over the ledge. "You were up against boys and the distance isn't that bad. Takahashi-senpai's made ground."

I wasn't lying either, Takahashi-senpai's breast stroke was impressive. She was barely breaking water as she bounded to the other side, smacking her hand against the wall in second as Yokoyama-senpai dived over her head.

Onodera wasn't lying either, Yokoyama-senpai's butterfly was monstrous. The girl who she was up against in first was left behind as she powered through and made ground. She had a full body length in front as she passed the middle of the pool and by then second place had given up too much ground.

Next to me, Ichigo-senpai looked furiously as we caught up. Yokoyama-senpai didn't falter to the end and slammed her hand into the end of the pool. There was still a few seconds before Ichigo-senpai could leave the mark and he looked visibly confused as I waited.

"What the hell are you doing!?" Yokoyama-senpai yelled at me as she looked up to see me still on the block. "GO!!!!!"

I ignored her and waited, the moment Ichigo-senpai's teams third leg hit the wall Ichigo-senpai and I both dived into the pool at the same time. He broke first as I continued to dolphin kick as hard as I could before breaking and giving it everything I had. I didn't check if I was in front, I was absorbed in the race. There were few times that I ever took competition seriously but this was one of them. Ichigo-senpai spent all of his spare time in his craft, if there was ever a moment where I'd compete with someone and have the opportunity to lose this would be it. I wasn't going to waste this chance by winning on a technicality.

The moment my hand hit the wall I bobbed my head up only to see Ichigo-senpai hit the wall a moment after my head came up. He turned to me, wrenching his goggles from his eyes before glaring at me with pure hatred. I didn't react, not even when Takahashi-senpai screamed and cheered. Grabbing the ledge with the tips of my fingers and pulling myself up. I could feel my traps tense as I basically did a pull up with the tips of my fingers, pulling my chin over the ledge before kicking my leg over and standing up. Ichigo-senpai watched the feat with pure rage as he swam to the other side of the pool before pulling himself up on the steps of the ladder.

Takahashi-senpai was elated but atleast she had the decency not to jump up and hug me. Yokoyama-senpai and Onodera weren't the same, the two of them were hugging and sticking their tongues out at their fellow swim team members, teasing them about the win. Once my focus was directed to the stands, I could actually hear the impact of the results our impromptu race had made. Nagumo didn't show any reaction, simply sitting rigid with his hands clenched into fists on his knees as he observed the reactions of his fellow second years around him.

I couldn't see Honami anywhere in the stands. I looked but couldn't see her anywhere near Eiichiro or Mako, not even next to any of the rest of our group. Until a strawberry blonde missile smacked me in the chest in a hug.

"That was incredible!" Honami gushed. "Kiyotaka! I knew you were good at sports but... Wow!"

While the race was over and everyone returned to what they were doing I didn't feel comfortable anymore. I knew it was going to happen but I didn't realise how much the attention would bother me. Honami left with the others who made their way over, congratulating me and excitedly talking amongst themselves. Eiichiro seemed in good spirits, incredibly happy that I'd taken the initiative and done something for once. Even if it wasn't for class points, he looked happy for me. While others would have been jealous at their friend being better than them at something, Eiichiro was never like that. Instead, much like Honami, he stuck his chest out proudly at his best friends accomplishment.

Yokoyama-senpai and Onodera joined Takahashi-senpai and I in receiving our points. Tanaka-sensei looked disappointed when once again I refused his offer to train with the team. As I made my way back to our seating area, I watched as Sotomura made his way to bring the orders to the group and sighed in defeat as Nagumo fell into stride along side me.

"Good job out there, Ayanokouji," Nagumo congratulated me.

"Thank you, Nagumo-senpai,"

"It's a good thing you won. We can't have the Student Council Vice President bringing shame on us. We're supposed to set an example for the rest. You took a risk, waiting to go head to head against Ichigo-senpai,"

"I wasn't expecting to win. I just wanted it to be fair,"

"Fairness had nothing to do with it, that was arrogance," Nagumo scoffed. "Ego like that will bite you later on if you keep looking down on your opponents. I wouldn't have thrown away a lead like that and neither would Horikita-senpai."

"Perhaps you're right," I acknowledged half-heartedly as I continued to make my way back to the group. "Then again, since when do I ever do anything that I don't want to do. I live my life the way I want to."

Nagumo roughly grabbed me by my elbow to stop me. I looked down at his hand before looking back in his eyes with a raised eyebrow. He stared back at me without flinching, matching my energy head on.

"You should start to treat me with more respect, Kohai," Nagumo spat, reminding me I was an underclassman. "Once Horikita-senpai leaves, the two of us have to work together. There is no 'your way'. When I'm Student Council President, it's my way. I acknowledge that you're gifted and that's why I have a degree of respect for your confidence. However, make no mistake. I expect that degree of effort in everything you do moving forward.

"Academics, Class Battles, Student Council Duties. From now on, I want to see you give your best with everything. I want to see what you're truly capable of. No more of this lazy bullshit where you palm off your duties to Honami-

"Careful, Nagumo-senpai," I warned him coldly, cutting him off. "Do not use my girlfriend's first name so casually. You may come to regret it."

While I was seriously warning him, it was as if the change in my serious demeanor was exactly what he wanted to see. He let me go and laughed condescendingly as he pat me on the shoulder as if we were old friends.

"No need to be so serious, Ayanokouji," Nagumo laughed. "Besides, you should treat me a little more nicely. Otherwise, my lips may get a little twitchy. In my anger, I may end up saying something you want to keep quiet. Isn't that right, Masterpiece-kun?"

I gave no outward reaction. I'd already anticipated this. If second years already knew, it must have been mandated by Nagumo to keep it quiet. All so he could have leverage on me for this moment, so that he could threaten me to do what he wanted or he'd make what he'd been informed public. I waited in silence, staring at him as if daring for him to open his mouth to continue. I could see it wasn't the reaction he was expecting. He was expecting me to be frantic, possibly to beg for mercy. Instead I remained quiet.

People underestimate the impact of simply remaining quiet. Human beings are creatures of habit, most have shared mannerisms that we've learned as a collective. In general, people tend to speak simply to fill the silence. Not many are able to simply bask in the silence and the discomfort that lack of sound embodies.

Nagumo-senpai wasn't used to it, I could see it. Just like I had with Ryuen, the two of us continued to play chicken as I stood in front of him, daring for him to be the first to break. It was inevitable, I knew he'd bow out eventually as he averted his eyes for a moment before that cocky grin returned to his face.

"Right now the second years are keeping quiet on my order. Unless you want everyone to know your secret, you're going to tell Horikita-senpai that you have no interest in taking over as the Student Council President. In return, your secret will remain exactly as it is, a secret. You'll continue to hold your position as the Vice President, serving under me. Either that or all anyone will be talking about is this so called 'White Room'." Nagumo finished.

Just as he was about to leave, he patted me on the shoulder as he turned and prepared to walk towards his group.

"Choose quickly, Masterpiece. I'm not a very patient person. I meant what I said though, you better start taking things seriously. After all, when we get the chance, I want to be the one who fights you. Crushing the Government's pet has to be good on a resume after all, right?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 1K 12
Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. A demon in the fourth generation and a masterpiece of the White Room. He always relied only on himself and did not count on anyon...
21.4K 1K 9
Ayanokouji is no longer the perfect human, his father wanted him to be. Due to the stress of the White Room, Ayanokouji developed dissociative identi...
71.4K 2.4K 23
Hey there everyone this is my first fanfic so go easy on me ..... that aside this an Ayanokoji X Ichinose fanfiction . Judging by the description you...
21.9K 1.2K 29
Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student who is slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically prepared to fight against the challe...