What The Heart Needs - The He...

By ReganUre

I've been unlucky in love. I've had my heart broken so many times. When I meet a guy, he makes me believe I c... More

Copyright
Chapter 1 - Part 1
Chapter 1 - Part 2
Chapter 2 - Part 1
Chapter 2 - Part 2
Chapter 3 - Part 1
Chapter 3 - Part 2
Chapter 4 - Part 1
Chapter 4 - Part 2
Chapter 5 - Part 1
Chapter 5 - Part 2
Chapter 6 - Part 1
Chapter 6 - Part 2
Chapter 7 - Part 1
Chapter 7 - Part 2
Chapter 8 - Part 1
Chapter 8 - Part 2
Chapter 9 - Part 1
Chapter 9 - Part 2
Chapter 10 - Part 1
Chapter 10 part 2
Chapter 11 - Part 1
Chapter 11 - Part 2
Chapter 12 - Part 1
Chapter 12 - Part 2
Chapter 13 - Part 1
Chapter 13 - Part 2
Chapter 14 - Part 1
Chapter 14 - Part 2
Chapter 15 - Part 1
Chapter 15 - Part 2
Chapter 16 - Part 1
Chapter 16 - Part 2
Chapter 17 - Part 1
Chapter 17 - Part 2
Chapter 18 - Part 2
Chapter 19 - Part 1
Chapter 19 - Part 2
Chapter 20 - Part 1

Chapter 18 - Part 1

437 42 0
By ReganUre

A week went by without a word from Aiden. I had kind of resigned myself to the fact that we were over. It was difficult to pick myself up and carry on. The disappointment and headache made it harder to get through each day.

Every time he crept into my thoughts the rawness in my chest ached, it was not just an emotional pain. It was so deep, I felt it on a physical level.

And as much as I wanted to, I couldn't stay in bed with the covers over my head and ignoring everything else other than my personal pain. Life didn't stop, so I plastered a smile on when I had to pretending everything was fine when it wasn't.

Sleep didn't come easy and everyday was tougher than the last. Luckily, Lacey hadn't wanted to go out this weekend so at least I didn't have to spend a night or two watching over her, making sure she didn't make a mistake she couldn't come back from.

And I managed to get on top of my course work. I was finally feeling like I was keeping my head above water.

But then I got a call from my father.

"What's up?" I asked, very aware that he didn't usually call me during college.

"It's your mom, she fainted and bumped her head."

I stopped. The panic set in.

"Is she okay?" I was already heading straight for the parking lot.

"The doctor is checking her out," he answered.

"Where are you?" I asked, trying to fight my way through the debilitating panic.

"We are in the emergency room. She has bumped her head pretty hard. She might have a concussion."

I could hear the echo of my blood pumping through my veins as I fished my keys from my bag and tried to open the car door.

My mind already trying to figure out the quickest way to the hospital.

"Princess."

The mention of my nickname made me stop.

"I need you to go home and pack a bag for your mom. She will need to stay in the hospital overnight."

I nodded, releasing the breath I held.

"She'll be okay," he assured me.

"Just message me everything you think she will need and I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I will. Drive safely."

When the call ended I took a shaky breath trying to get myself together so I could do what I needed to.

Just the mention of the word hospital brought back memories of the stress of worrying about Lacey and what had driven me straight into Aiden's arms.

I took a moment to take a long breath and release in a controlled count to four. I had to calm myself down before I got behind the wheel.

By the time I got home I was a bundle of nerves. My father sent me a message wish everything mom needed.

I hurried into the house and climbed the stairs two at a time throwing my bag into my room as I passed it on the way to my parent's room.

My mind was scattered as I rushed around the room grabbing things on the list my father had message me.

When I was sure I had everything I raced downstairs only to stop as I got to the bottom of the stairs. Aiden was standing in the open door way.

Had I left the front door open? I tightened my hold on the duffel bag I held as my eyes met Aiden's.

"The front door was wide open." His wore a white shirt and jeans. His expression unreadable.

I didn't have time for this. My chest rose and fell with every hurried breath.

"I can't do this now," I said as I got my car keys out my jean pockets. It was then I realised I was missing my phone. I had left it upstairs.

I dropped the bag and went upstairs. It was only when I got to my parents' room to look for my phone did I realize Aiden had followed me.

"What's going on Reece?" he asked

I put a hand to my head as I tried to remember where I had put my phone.

"Reece." His voice louder.

"What?" I snapped, scanning the room and I couldn't find my phone.

"Stop," he said taking hold of my arms. "What's wrong?"

I blinked. My eyes stung and a lump formed in my throat. I swallowed hard, trying to keep myself from having a meltdown right then and there.

"What is it?" he asked, softly. "Let me help you."

I nodded but I still couldn't speak for fear I wouldn't be able to pull myself together.

"I need you to tell me what's going on?" his tone was strong and comforting.

My eyes watered and a tear slid down my face. My bottom lip trembled.

"You're scaring me Reece. Say something," he whispered.

"It's my mom... she's in hospital." I sobbed.

All the emotion I'd been bottling the past few weeks overwhelmed me all at once.

He gathered me in his arms and hugged me. "It's okay," he murmured.

I cried even though I didn't want to. I wanted to be able to get my shit together so I could go to the hospital with the stuff my mom needed.

Just when I calmed myself down I pushed away from Aiden. "My mom fainted and... she's in the hospital...uh she bumped her head pretty hard."

"Stop," he commanded, taking hold of my shoulders. His levelled his eyes with mine. "I'll drive you to the hospital."

I shook my head. "Why are you even here?" I asked, coming out of my panicked haze.

"Let's get you to the hospital in one piece and we can talk later. Okay?"

I nodded. The most important thing was getting to the hospital. Everything else could be dealt with later.

"I can't find my phone," I admitted.

My mind felt scrambled and I couldn't seem to think straight.

He scanned the room and found my phone which was on the side table. "Here."

"Thanks," I said, feeling relieved

He ushered me out of the house, and into his car as I held onto the duffel bag.

He drove to the hospital in silence. I was fine with it, I wasn't in the mood for talking. The only thing on my mind was to get to the hospital to see my mom.

Aiden took the bag from me when we got to the hospital and went in search of my parents.

I was relieved to see my mom awake and sitting up the hospital bed as we entered the room.

"Mom," I said rushing over to her it hug her as tight as I could.

Just being back in the hospital where Lacey and been was enough to bring back all that stress on whether she would make it through or not.

I knew my mother was going to be okay but it had definitely scared me. Scared me in a way I couldn't explain.

"I'm fine Princess," she whispered emotionally.

"What happened?" I asked when I pulled away slightly to take on the paleness of her features.

"You're mom had low blood sugar and fainted." He gave my mom a disapproving look. "She needs to make sure she eats more regularly."

"Mom," I said, feeling a lecture coming on.

"You brought a friend," my mother, diverting the attention away from her.

"Aiden," I introduced to my parents.

He stood into the doorway.

"Come in ," my father said, shaking his hand before taking the duffel bag Aiden offered him.

"It's nice to meet you Aiden," my mother said.

I could already see the intrigue in my mother's eyes but I didn't even know what was going on between us. He had been avoiding me for the last week before showing up on my doorstep. I had no idea why he had come to visit me.

"Nice to meet you too," he said. "I'll wait outside for you."

He left and I turned to face my parents' curious gazes.

"He seems nice," my mother spoke first.

"He is a boy. They are hard work."

"Hey," my father said, taking offence.

"You're the only exception," I said hugging him.

I waited until visiting hours were nearly over before I left parents in search of Aiden. It was the fear of why he had come over to my house they kept me from going to find him earlier. He was sitting in the waiting room and when he spotted him he rose to his feet.

"How's your mom doing?" he asked

"She'll be okay. They are only keeping her over night as a precaution."

I shifted from one foot to the other. "Why did you come over to my house?"

Whether I wanted to hear his answer or not, I needed it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.8K 1.3K 33
"𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬, 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭...
724 72 36
"I've never met someone who can make me feel so vulnerable but so safe at the same time."
19 0 8
After I got dumped by the one guy I truly loved, my life crumbled. I was branded as a whore and I just crumbled as a whole. I messed up bad and I spe...
1.2M 44.5K 73
"Who made you be this way?" he asked curiously as he focused on me intensely. I scoffed, "The devil in disguise did. He burned me in hell." "Is he th...