Sallow

By eni1orac

This story follows the plot of Hogwarts legacy, (mostly). Della James is a new fifth year student at Hogwart... More

Authors note
1 Hogwarts
2 First meeting
3 Crossed wands and willowags
4 The road to Hogsmeade
5 The road to Hogsmeade, again
7 Three Broomsticks
8 To ignore, or not to ignore
9 Potions lock
10 Crossed wands for fire
11 Duel of the friends to enemies
12 Restricted rendezvous
13 I came alone
14 Herbology and ashwinders
15 I should've gone

6 Shopping with trolls

8 0 1
By eni1orac

Sebastian

First, she said she needed spellcrafts, of which we would find at Tomes and Scrolls. A quaint little shop, right near the entrance of Hogsmeade, owned by Mr Thomas Brown. I'd dealt a lot with Mr Brown, as conjuring was one of my favourite types of magic. We entered the shop, and he smiled when he saw us.

"Ah, Mr Sallow, good to see you again. How is that experiment going?" He referred to a certain conjuring magic I'd read about and wanted to replicate for myself. "Truth be told it's not going exactly as planned, but I'm sure it'll come through eventually." He smiled, nodding. "I'm sure it will, your skill for conjuring is not something to doubt."
I smiled back at him, and gestured to Della. "This is my friend Della, a new student who is in need of some spellcrafts, if you please."

Della moved forward and greeted the shopkeeper, and proceeded to list what she needed. He sorted everything for her. I thought I'd try something.
"Mr Brown, as it's Della's very first time in Hogsmeade and she's having such a wonderful time, what would you say to a discount?" I grinned. Lucky for me he agreed. "Of course! anything for a friend of Mr Sallow, I do hope your visit has been and will continue to be as magical as promised." He smiled at her, and she smiled back, thanking him profusely. We made our way out, and she poked me with her finger.

"I can't believe you asked that!"

"Why not? Seems having me around is pretty useful hmm?"

She looked at the ground, bashful, and thanked me softly. My heart felt way to big for my chest. She spoke again.

"I'd like to get my wand after everything else, you know - save the best for last." She said this with a gleeful look in her eyes, no doubt terribly excited for her very own wand. I understood. Going for my wand in first year as a 11 yr old was thrilling, the feeling when you found the right one and it 'bonds' with you, I was excited for her to experience it.

"Well in that case, J. Pippins potions will be next, here, this way." I lead her forward, and she made for conversation.

"So when you say you got in trouble with Madam Scribner again, you mean...?" She hinted at me playfully. I sighed, "Let's just say I'm in her bad books, totally underserved of course."

"Mhm, riiiight." She raised her eyebrows sceptically.

"Oh absolutely! I suspect it's just a matter of differing opinions. She thinks I shouldn't be allowed in the restricted section, or to test magic I read from the books in the library, or that 2 days overdue means seriously late! I mean come on, it's only a very little late." She smiled at me, amused. My chest swelled even more - couldn't tell you how it was possible - that she found me funny, or entertaining. I started to feel as though the only thing I wanted in the world was to make her laugh. I shook it away, I couldn't get distracted by it, other things in my life were far too important. We had arrived and she purchased her potion items, and we headed over the bridge to the Magic Neep.

"Have you explored much of the castle? Having only been here a week of course." I asked her, wanting to keep hearing her voice.

"Barely, it's enormous."

"You're right there, I've been here for years and barely scratched the surface. There's loads to see, and plenty of secrets to discover." I winked at her, and she leaned in closer. "Oh? Want to share with the class?" I shrugged and brushed her away, "Maybe another time, can't go spilling all my secrets in a day can I?"

"I'll find out, Mr Sallow. Just you wait." She bumped me with her shoulder, and as we'd arrived went to purchase her Herbology things. I stared after her, watching her interact with Timothy Teasdale. After they'd finished, he waved to me, and I returned the gesture. He'd taught me how to handle many different plants when I'd struggled with herbology a few years back. Our first interaction he'd found me crying by the wall of the bridge when I was 9 after an argument with my uncle  in the square. My uncle had threatened to leave me behind if I didn't stop my nonsense. I ran, and he left. Since then, Tim had helped me out whenever I needed, and I was grateful for it. Della made her way back to me and punched me in the arm.

"What's that for?" She was stronger than she looked.
"Everyone around here is wrapped around your bloody finger! I just got these for free just because I'm here with you. What is this magic?" She joked incredulously, and I went along. "Of course, everyone in this town loves me, worships me actually, one day I'll show you the shrine."

"Oh stop it, you bludger."

I giggled at her. "I mean the reason I didn't enter Mr Pippins shop, is we'd've ended up talking for hours and hours and hours and ho-"

"Okay I get it Mr popular."  She giggled too.

"Though also, it is good for your character to have to pay full price for at least one thing on this trip, otherwise you'll only use me for my benefits." I sighed dramatically. She rolled her eyes, and had slapped my arm again. She sure was touching me a lot. Though I was not about to complain.

"And what if I wanted to use you, for just your benefits?"

They way she looked at me made me hitch, and I paused a moment, was there an underlying meaning there? Was she hinting something? Why am I overthinking this so much!? I played it off. I matched her.

"I would say go for it, Miss James. My benefits are definitely worth it." I walked ahead, not daring to see her reaction, but when she caught up to me, I saw remnants of red lingering all over her face. I smirked arrogantly, pleased with myself. I liked seeing her react that way to me, and wanted to make it happen again. Though I shouldn't overdo it, didn't want her to get creeped out and totally avoid me. I changed the subject. "Time for a wand, excited?"

She look giddy. "Yes!" We made our way to Ollivanders and she went in while I waited outside. I thought of all the shops in hogsmeade and wondered if I should get her something - not for any weird reason, just a friends first time in hogsmeade was a big occasion you know. I thought of zonkos, or honeydukes, but nothing seemed good enough. She came back out before i could make a decision.

"Look at it!" She was like a child with their very first broomstick. She waved it around and did some poses. I laughed at her silliness. It was so endearing. She was so endearing. Wanting to stall a little so I could think of what to get her, I suggested we continue with the tour. I showed her around a few of the shops and views and we stopped near a bench in the town square. I gestured broadly to our surroundings. "So, there you have it. Our tour has concluded. Hopefully i'll be receiving a 5 star rating?" She laughed. "10 stars. For the discounts. What should we do now?"

"Would you like to see - " I was cut off by a loud rumbling, when a large troll burst from out of nowhere and came charging right at us. Della leapt to her feet. We dodged its crash course and ran to move out of the way, when some of the other villagers distracted it and ushered it away from the square. "A troll?! What on earth is happening?" I looked to Della, who had no response to my confusion. But not even a second more, another one crashed through a village house. There were no villagers in sight. I saw Della raise her wand. It was just us.

I stepped slightly in front of her, and stared the troll down. It charged with its stick hammer thing lifted in the air ready to come crashing down on us, we dodged it and sent spells right back. It made for Della again, and the words just shot out of my mouth; "Hey ugly, I'm right here!" I sent spells at its back, desperate to get it away from Della, but it seemed to be honed in on her. She was holding her own, not that I doubted it from her duelling skills, but i really, really, did not want to see her hurt. "Hey!" I shouted again. "Over here! This way!" It turned and roared at me, directing its attention away from Della and I felt relief.

And then panic.

I cast spells left and right as it charged, and tried to dodge, but i waited too long. Its club hit my shoulder and I cried out in pain. I looked up to see the club in the air about to haul directly onto my face, when Della did - something. There was a burst of blue light, and the troll vanished. Exploded. Dusted. I didn't know what to call it, but Della had done something powerful. I looked over at her in mild confusion as she raced over to me. "Are you okay?!" She looked extremely concerned. "It hit you, where? Can you move? Do you need Wiggenweld potion? Ah, i don't have any. Can you - "

"Della, I'm okay, my shoulder got hit just a little lightly, that's all."

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

Then, she slapped me. I gasped with the pain. "Are you crazy calling a troll over to you?! In what world was that a good idea! You could be seriously injured right now." I gaped at her. "It was going at you with everything it had, I had to get it away from you. Besides, like i said, I'm fine." I moved to stand up, but when I put weight on my hand i winced hard. It was only then, i noticed blood soaking into my shirt. "You are seriously injured, I knew it." She pushed me back down into the position I was in, and came round the side of me, placing her arm under mine and grabbing my waist. We were very close. I could smell her perfume. It was a scent I was familiar with, one of the muggle plants Tim had taught me about; Lily of the valley. It suited her, and I breathed it in. Subtly, of course. She stood me up, lead me towards a bench where I sat and reassured her I was okay, but she shook her head. She's stubborn alright. She mentioned the healing potion and Mr. Pippins name, mumbled about bandaging and ordered me not to move. She ran off, and was back before i'd even noticed time had gone.

"Right, drink this. He also said this might sting a little." I was confused for a moment when the most horrid sensation i'd ever felt spread through my shoulder, originating from my cut. I grunted with the pain, and she glanced up at me from her focus, wide-eyed. I pretended to be fine and signalled her to keep going. She was delicate with her touch, and wrapped the bandage over whatever torturous paste was lathered on my skin. She lightly brushed her thumb over her work and looked up at me again. Merlin have mercy I could stare at her forever and never grow tired of it. I gave her a weak smile. "So, still 10 stars for the tour?" She burst out laughing. "You're ridiculous." I smiled properly after that.

"Actually, how about a butterbeer?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 356 28
[Ominis Gaunt x Female MC Romance] Theodosia Staghart is returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for her sixth year. She reflects on...
12.2K 413 18
10 years after the defeat of Ranrok, y/n is still struggling with the nightmares from the events. She is now the Defense Against the Dark Arts profe...
16.6K 735 51
Y/n Evans spent the entire fifth year saving the wizarding world. She quickly became the hero of Hogwarts and was admired by nearly everyone. Everyon...
40.2K 1.3K 41
Hogwarts 1890. Sebastian Sallow, the rejected twin. Ominis Gaunt, the unwanted son. Sabrina Pryor, the neglected orphan. What happens when three kind...