Force of Habit

By antisocialbandmate

Olivia is running from her past and into her future. Will her life get any better? Find out here! Completed More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue

Chapter 16

10 2 0
By antisocialbandmate

I sit in the cafe where I met Sawyer, attempting to write a song. For the last hour I've been sitting here in front of the intimidating blank page and instead of thinking about song ideas, all my mind will go back to is the kiss.

I kissed Sawyer.

I kissed Sawyer and he didn't run away screaming.

I kissed Sawyer and he kissed me back.

Sawyer called me beautiful.

Wow.

"Olivia? Is that you?" a familiar voice which I'd hoped I'd never have to hear again was ringing in my ears, pulling me from my thoughts.

Slowly I turn around and sure enough there he is, Eric, my older brother.

"Oh, hi Eric," I say, not bothering to hide the unenthusiastic expression most likely radiating off of my face.

"How are you!" he says, giving me a hug.

"I'm fine," I say, watching the ginger haired boy sit down across from me, "What are you doing here?"

"Well Mom and Dad wanted me to find you. They tried calling you but you never answered."

"Wait, are they here?" I ask with the feeling of dread stirring in my stomach.

"They're still in Colorado actually," he says, nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

"So they're not looking."

"No, Olivia, they did! Trust me," he insists as I sit back, crossing my arms.

I raise my eyebrows allowing him to continue, "They did! They, um, called you," he pauses, looking at the coffee themed decorations neatly placed around the quaint shop, "Once."

"Are you kidding me?" I almost shout in disbelief. Actually no, that seems like something they would do.

"No, look Olivia, I'm sorry they did that. They should have put more effort into looking for you, but if it makes a difference, I came all the way out here to look for you."

"How did you find me?"

"This was actually just a stop before I went up to Maine."

"Why would you go to Maine?"

"I was just looking everywhere. Hey! Mission accomplished! You're found and now you can come home with me," he answers.

"Eric, I'm not going back there."

A look of pure shock covers his face, "You're not? Why?"

"I'm really happy here. I almost never was when I lived there, well except for music. That was really the only thing that made me happy. But I really don't think I should be depending on music to solely make me happy. You know?" He nods in reply and I continue, "But once I moved here, I've been happier in the last few months than I've been in years."

"I still don't understand why you weren't happy at home?"

"Look, I tried. Okay? I tried but never felt like I quite fit in. I was always being judged by everyone and I just couldn't handle it anymore."

"So where do you live?" he asks, changing the subject.

"I'm not telling you that,"I say, packing up my things and standing up.

"Awe, c'mon. Do your brother a solid. Pretty please?" he begs.

"Hmm... No."

"Ladybug, please?" oh no he didn't just pull out my old nickname he used to use on me, "I need a place to stay for the night. Just this once and I'll be out of your hair for good. I won't ever bother you again."

I sigh, and blaming that cursed nickname he used and begin to lead him in the direction of my apartment.

"Where's your car?" Eric asks as we pass a parking garage.

"I should be the one asking you that," I say, as an image of my brother's yellow Ferrari flashes in my mind.

"I, um, sold it," he admits.

"What?" I ask as we cross a street.

"I sold my car coming here."

"Why?"

"Mom and Dad wouldn't pay for me to come out here."

My older brother, who pretty much since birth had the utmost priority of pleasing my parents, sold his precious Ferrari to find me instead of staying, which was what my parents wanted him to do.

"What happened?"

"Well when you didn't answer their phone call they said 'good riddance of that troublesome child' and gave up looking. I sort of lost it. I yelled at them for not looking harder for you. I told them that they ought to go out and actually look for you, not just make a call and not even bothering to leave the house. I told them that they should go search for you until you were found. We argued or a while but pretty much they had no intent to go out and find you. That's when I realized how little they cared for you or me. We were just the backup plan in case something happened to Steven, who is getting all of the inheritance."

Steven is our older brother. He's about twenty five, and is married to some skinny brunette model. He's always been the favorite of my parents. They have basically been training him how to run the company when they decide to retire.

"So you're out of the inheritance?"

"Yep," he says, popping the "p", "But you know what? I decided to move to Maine, that's the real reason I'm here. I'm just seeing the country before I head up there to settle in. I'll probably never be able to tour it again, so why not now?"

So he wasn't stalking me. He's in New York to sight see, not to find me.

"Why Maine?"

"You're just little miss questions aren't you?" he states.

"So what if I am?"

He just shrugs, "Maine seemed like a pretty cool place to live in. Plus I'm on a quest to find Storybrook."

"Storybrook, Maine? Like from Once Upon A Time? I thought that you hated that show."

"Not true! I may or may not have at one point had a crush on Snow White, erm, I mean Mart Margaret."

"Yeah, well let's just say that Storybrook does exist. Mary Margaret won't live there, she's a fictional character portrayed by an actor."

"Well I'm looking for my Mary Margaret," Eric admits.

"Eric, you're only twenty. Shouldn't you wait until you're a bit older before you start considering marrying a girl you haven't even met yet?"

"Since when did you start giving advice?" he asks.

"I've always given advice."

"So are you the advice book now?" he teases.

"Yes, yes I am. And I think you should still enjoy being young while you can."

"Oh, I plan on it. That's why I'm going sight seeing around the country."

"Do you want to stay for a few days? I mean if you won't be coming back down here, I can maybe help you decide what you'd want to see in New York before you leave."

"Really?" he asks, his eyes lighting up a bit.

"Yeah. I mean I'll still have to go to work so you'll be alone part of the day and if you don't mind sleeping on a slightly smelly couch."

"That'd be great, thanks. And I'll be out of your hair in a few days."

I nod and we continue walking past the busy traffic of NYC.

"So where's your car?" he asks, watching the sea of yellow taxis flow through the overly stuffed streets.

"Funny story... It's back at my apartment. When I moved here I didn't really have enough money to buy gas, and now I'm just too lazy to go out and get any. Plus it's more pleasurable to walk and it's more environmentally friendly."

"Okay then," he says, not bothering to argue with my statement.

By this time we've reached my apartment. As I dig around in my bag and fish out my keys Eric takes the opportunity to glance around.

"You live under a pizza place? Seriously, this is cool. I can see why you like living here. I bet your apartment always has that heavenly smell of pizza."

"Yeah, I moved here just for the pizza," I say, unlocking and opening the door peeling with green paint, "You can think that my apartment smells like pizzabut it really doesn't. It actually smells really bad, so sorry about that. I'm surprised I don't smell like cat pee and mildew yet."

"You have a cat?" he asks, stepping back from the door.

"No, my apartment just smells like that when it snows."

"That's really strange... Good thing it's March then."

"Yeah, but it could still snow," I say, walking up the rickety wooden steps and into my apartment.

"Let's not think about that," Eric says, crinkling up his nose as he follows me into the apartment.

"Do you remember that time when you were like six and I found that cat, which I named Mr Cuddles and really wanted you to cuddle with him. Oh Mom got so mad that we had found a stray cat, 'which could be rabid!'."

"Yeah Mom was furious! I was covered in cat hair and mud and she yelled at us for forever because she didn't want us to go around picking up rabid cats."

"It was a cute cat..."

"Sure..."

"It was totally worth it though, he was really adorable," I say, reminiscing about that adorable black and white kitten.

"Well I'm still cautious around cats now because of that scarring experience."

"Why because of that rabid cat speech Mom made?"he asks.

"Yeah, plus I'm allergic."

"Well yeah, I mean afterwards you were covered in hives and wouldn't. Quit. Sneezing," he says, laughing at the memory.

"Well mom was pretty furious that you could have been holding a possibly rabid animal. Plus you were covered in cat pee."

"It wasn't just the cat's..." he admits, hiding his blush.

"No way!"

"Hey I was six!"

"Exactly. Eric, you were six."

"So? I was in a slightly terrifying situation."

"It was a harmless cat. Completely harmless."

There's a lull in the conversation and Eric now has the opportunity of looking around my apartment. Yet again, it's littered with stray shoes and dishes from a previous rain fall.

"What-"

"I have this problem with my roof and I absolutely refuse to have it fixed because if I do, then the roof would win the ongoing war."

"Olivia, you're a special one," Eric says, as I lead him into my kitchen to make us some hot chocolate.

———————————-

A/N:

Hey guys! Thanks for getting this chapter to over 350 reads! Oh my goodness!!!! I know most people don't think it's that much but I do, so thank you so much!

If you liked this chapter please vote/comment/etc.

Stay beautiful! I love you all so much!

-LN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

354K 12.7K 52
Ryan was just getting over a bad breakup when she met Dave. He charmed her and she fell for him. But what happens when she finds out he's deep in the...
114K 2.7K 44
Olivia is just getting back on her feet after an emotional couple of years. She has committed herself to her career and self-discovery, but those pla...
70 19 22
Lilith moves back to Manhattan New York, after years of being away living in New Mexico. She's now older and ready to Pursue her dreams, Attending th...
3K 123 48
Rebecca struggles to get over the death of her boyfriend Sebastian. After months of depression and anxiety, she finally has the courage to move on wi...