𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐑...

By prxttybuttxrfly

𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝... the youngest princess of king triton leaves her kingdom in order to... More

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃: h2o - just add water
𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐗𝐀 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐘
ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ᴀᴇꜱᴛʜᴇᴛɪᴄꜱ
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘻𝘦𝘳𝘰... 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲
𝘼𝘾𝙏 1
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘯𝘦... 𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗮𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗽𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗶𝘀
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘰... 𝗽𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦... 𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝘆
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳... 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦... 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗶𝘀𝗵𝘆
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘹... 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯... 𝗺𝗼𝗼𝗻 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗹𝗹
𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳... 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦... 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘄𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘦𝘯... 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗮 𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘀
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯... 𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘄𝗶𝗺
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦... 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗻 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯... 𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽𝘄𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯... 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗽𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗲!
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯... 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗹

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵... 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝗻𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗮𝗳𝗳𝗮𝗶𝗿

385 17 4
By prxttybuttxrfly

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃: h2o - just add water

👑

ALEXA HAD BEEN INFORMED BY THE THREE GIRLS ABOUT A NEW ARRIVAL AT THE GOLD COAST WHO MAY THREATEN THEIR MERMAID SECRET. her name was doctor denman who was a marine biologist doing some dolphin research at the marine park. according to emma, lewis said that she was one of the world's leading experts in aquatic mammalian cellular evolution. from the information that alexa had been told about, dr denman may pose a threat towards her family, her friends and herself and she'd do everything in her power to prevent that from happening.

since dr denman was doing some dolphin research at the marine park, lewis had asked cleo to take him to where she worked so he could meet her. he admired her work and he needed her equipment so he could figure out how emma, rikki and cleo became mermaids.

alexa had mixed opinions about this. she knew that cleo, rikki and emma had to find out how they became mermaids at the touch of liquid because it changed their lives so much. this was why lewis was willing to do anything to help them which meant using dr denman's equipment in order to find the answers. she knew that lewis would be careful but if something went wrong (like always), then the group would have to do everything in their power to protect their secret.

once cleo had gotten back from being with lewis and dr denman at the marine park, she had managed to find the three girls and informed them of what happened, "'doctor' denman, hah. more like dr baywatch babe. what does she know anyway?" she questioned with her hands on her hips as the four girls walked through the neighbourhood.

"well i googled her. she wrote some important paper as part of her phd. mutations in aquatic mammals. she's got a bit of cred." emma informed the three girls.

cleo shrugged, "she got lucky." a smile appeared on her face, "i bet she's not even a real blonde." which caused emma to gasp and look down at the grass whilst rikki and alexa stared at cleo with a knowing look on her face because cleo was acting this way because she had feelings for lewis. cleo continued, "i'm just concerned about lewis and how he's feeling right now. you should've seen him before. i mean, what if he gets so influenced that he tells her about us?" 

alexa chimed in, "have some faith in lewis, cleo. he knows what would happen to us if someone found out that mermaids existed. personally, he would suffer my wrath if my family's lives are threatened by him telling a scientist about how mermaids exist."

before cleo could reply to alexa, her phone went off which indicated that she had a message. she took her phone out of her pocket and read the message before she typed a reply. afterwards she placed her phone in her pocket and addressed the girls, "it's lewis. he's at the juicenet cafe and he wants us to meet him there."

the four girls made their way inside the juicenet cafe where lewis had saved the group a booth. emma and rikki sat on one side of the booth whilst lewis and cleo sat on the other side whilst alexa pulled up a chair from one of the silver tables and sat by the head of the table. lewis had informed rikki, alexa and emma that he gave dr denman his resume for a position as her research assistant and how she found his attitude admirable which was the biggest compliment that left him speechless since his idol had said that to him.

"and what exactly are you going to say to her, lewis?" emma questioned the mccartney.

lewis replied firmly, "have a little faith, please. all i want is access to her lab. that's it."

alexa stated calmly, "we understand that, lewis. it's just that our secret has been threatened so much that we have to be cautious of our movements from now on. just be careful." which earned a nod of understanding from the mccartney.

emma pointed out in a blunt tone, "you're a sucker for a pretty face." she said, referring to dr denman.

"pretty face?" lewis repeated. he scoffed, "you think i noticed whether she was pretty or not?" which emma tilted her head at his question so he continued, "i'm a scientist. besides, she wasn't that special anyway?" his phone began to ring so he looked at his phone before he gasped, "ooh, it's her." he said before he got up from his seat and ran off to answer the call from dr denman.

"he's got her number programmed into his phone already." cleo stated as she rested her arm on the table whilst alexa moved to sit next to cleo in the booth.

the four girls turned their attention to lewis who answered dr denman's call and was now talking to her on the phone. emma, cleo and rikki had their heads propped on their hands whilst alexa had her knees and ankles tightly together and slanted her legs to the side and kept her hands down to her side.

rikki pointed out, "nervous laughter." she said, referring to lewis who was scrunching his nose to suppress a smile from escaping, "not good."

"is he twirling his hair?" emma questioned aloud as the four girls witnessed lewis twirling his hair with left hand whilst he used his right hand to hold the phone to his ear. he walked around the cafe before he sat on the pool table that two men were playing on which caused them to stop their movements. 

"we are in big trouble." cleo claimed as her instinct to protect her friends kicked in.

lewis had ended the call with dr denman after being asked to complete some work experience and made his way to sit on alexa's seat by the head of the table.

"well i'm convinced... you can't be trusted." emma told lewis as she thought back to his odd behaviour when he was on the phone to dr denman.

lewis questioned, "what?"

"lewis, forget about her for a minute. this is us we're talking about." emma said as she gestured to herself and the three girls, "do not reveal anything to her, do you understand?" she questioned the mccartney with a glare on her face.

alexa pointed out, "our secret has almost come out so many times and you're practically placing yourself at risk, lewis. be careful."

emma nodded her head in agreement to the rooney's words before she added, "we've got a lot riding on this."

in response to the rooney and gilbert's words, lewis simply leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes as he inhaled a deep breath.

👑

LEWIS HAD GONE BACK TO THE MARINE PARK TO START ON HIS WORK EXPERIENCE WITH DR DENMAN. so the four girls decided to do their own thing before they met up at lewis' house so they'd be informed of what he had been up to in his work experience that may threaten the mermaid secret. 

cleo had gone home to babysit her younger sister whilst emma had to take her younger brother to his surfing lesson with byron. rikki had decided to go home which left alexa to go down to the beach. she was sat on a blanket which was set on top of the sand as she observed the waves of the ocean. after everything that had happened between alexa and her group of friends, it was moments like these where she needed some time to herself and to admire the environment around her.

however, her moment of peace was soon broken when she heard niall's smug voice, "of course i was bound to find you here, speedy. it's practically your safe haven." he knelt on the sand so he was eye-level to alexa.

alexa turned to her right where she saw niall knelt on the sand so he was at the brunette's level, "you're not wrong, i suppose i'll always come back here at the end of the day."

niall stared into the rooney's brown eyes for a moment before he snapped out of his thoughts, "um, how are you?" niall asked the rooney after a moment of staring at her copper eyes, "i haven't seen you around here for a while."

"i've just had some issues to attend to which was why i've not been here, not that it's any of your business, new guy." alexa replied as she turned her attention to the ocean in front of her.

niall laughed, "technically, i've been here for a few weeks now so you're gonna have to think of a new nickname for me, speedy." he pointed out to the rooney.

alexa rolled her eyes but deep down, she knew he had a point, "well, i'll have to think about it, niall henderson."

"can't wait to find out what new nickname you come up for me, alexa rooney." niall stated with a dazzling smile on his face.

before alexa could say anything, her phone vibrated in her skirt pocket so she pulled out her phone from her pocket and read the message that cleo had sent her.

CLEO

hey lex. lewis has just gotten back from his work experience at the marine park. we're all meeting at lewis' house for lunch. be there as soon as you can.

alexa typed back a reply to the sertori.

ALEXA

hey cleo, i'm on my way. i'll be there in at least eight minutes.

alexa placed her phone back in her pocket before she stood up from her seat on the sand and began to fold the blanket, "i have to get going and meet up with a friend." she placed the blanket in her tote bag.

niall stood up, "alright then, i'll see you around speedy." he sent one last cheeky smile to the rooney before he walked off.

alexa made sure to dust off any sand that was on her clothes before she made her way to the mccartney household.

👑

ALEXA ARRIVED AT LEWIS' HOUSE WHERE SHE WOULD MEET UP WITH THE OTHER GIRLS AND LEWIS. they decided to have lunch at the mccartney's house whilst lewis told the girls about his work experience with dr denman. rikki took out a pizza box from the oven which had kept the pizza inside fresh so the group could eat their lunch whilst lewis told them about his work experience at the marine park.

"you mopped floors?" cleo repeated in disbelief as she took out a jar of sweets for the group to eat.

"and that helps us how, exactly?" rikki questioned the mccartney as she placed the pizza box on the kitchen table.

"guys, i know what i'm doing." lewis assured the four girls, "i have access to her lab. all i need now is a fresh dna sample, say, a toenail clipping?" he held a nail clipper in his hands.

alexa sent the mccartney a small smile, "i'd rather not do that. thank you very much." which caused emma and rikki to nod their heads in agreement to the rooney's words.

alexa, rikki and emma turned to face cleo since she didn't nod her head to the rooney's words. she sighed in defeat, "ok, ok." she held her hand out for the nail clipper so lewis could place it in her hands. she squinted her eyes at the nail clipper in her hands before she cut off her toenail for lewis to do some further experiments on.

👑

SCHOOL HAD COME AND GONE IN A BLUR THAT ALEXA COULD HARDLY REMEMBER WHAT SHE HAD LEARNED TODAY. after school, alexa would usually go to the beach and do some painting but this time, an urgent matter had risen so the group had met up in emma's room so that lewis could inform the four girls of what happened.

it turned out that lewis had left cleo's toenail on a slide and dr denman had looked at it through a microscope which left her in awe of what she had just discovered. now, the group were in danger. their lives were at risk because lewis had forgotten to take cleo's toenail with him before school started today.

alexa was stuck. she knew that he didn't mean to do what he did because he would've been late for school. but then, he should've been more careful of the warnings that the girls had given him. the girls knew that something terrible could've happened after all the times their secret had been threatened to escape. it was like the girls were in a never-ending cycle of their secret being exposed.

what alexa definitely knew was that dr denman was a scientist and it was her job to get to the bottom of her findings. no matter what, it was her job to find out the bottom of why things happen. as long as she was around, the mermaid secret was threatened and that meant that the group had to go at any length to ensure the secret remained safe.

"lewis, she saw the sample? how could you?" emma questioned with a hurt look on her face as she sat beside the sertori on her bed.

"you're not getting the big picture. it was an accident." lewis defended himself.

alexa stated calmly, "we get that. we know that you've been willing to help us, lewis and we appreciate that. but not when you're going to go to a scientist for their equipment when their job is to get to the bottom of their findings. all she'll be focused on is where you got that sample from and it puts us all at risk."

"she's a scientist, this is what scientists do." lewis pointed out.

rikki questioned, "sell out their friends?" 

"no. compare notes." lewis corrected the chadwick, "that's the thing about us."

"'us?'" rikki repeated as she slightly raised her voice at the mccartney.

lewis elaborated, "we scientists, our need to know is what drives us." he assured the four girls, "believe me, she's cool."

"what if her need to know ends up dissecting us?" rikki questioned the mccartney.

"she's not like that." lewis replied as he believed that dr denman wouldn't do anything that would hurt his friends.

alexa chimed in, "do you remember that day when you and i pulled cleo out of the swimming pool together? later on that day when we were sat by the ocean and we told you about us being mermaids, you said that if anyone found out that mermaids existed that we'd become science experiments. and now, you're defending her. so if anything happens to us or my family or my people because dr denman had figured out that mermaids exist, you will be sorry."

"you're not going to tell a real scientist about us or alexa's family or any other mermaids." rikki stated firmly.

emma added, "she can't know about us."

cleo piped up, "she could go public on us."

lewis closed his eyes in frustration, "look, i have to go. i'll talk to you tomorrow." he said as he stood up from his seat and placed his backpack on his right shoulder before he walked out of the room.

since cleo knew lewis the longest, the two blondes and brunette turned to face the sertori expectantly for an explanation for his behaviour, "lewis isn't usually this erratic." she reasoned with the three girls.

"those in favour of not trusting lewis as far as we can throw him, raise your hands." rikki said as she raised both of her hands into the air. 

emma nodded her head in agreement, "agreed. let's keep an eye on him." she held her hand up.

alexa reluctantly held her hand up, "we have to protect ourselves. this is our secret, our responsibility and we have to do whatever it takes to ensure our secret remains safe."

👑

THE NEXT DAY, THE FOUR GIRLS DECIDED TO ENACT THEIR PLAN ON KEEPING AN EYE ON LEWIS FOR THE DAY. he was at his work experience with dr denman as the two were working together on loading the boat with the scientific equipment they needed for their investigation. the four girls were hiding behind a stack of boxes as they observed lewis and dr denman talking to one another.

at the mention of mako island which was the place that dr denman said that they'd be headed to caused the four girls to share looks of alarm.

once the four girls were sure that neither dr denman or lewis could hear them, rikki whispered to the three girls, "he's nuts. how can he take her there?"

emma looked at the ocean where she saw the boat was setting off to mako island, "we've got to get there before them." the four girls moved out of their hiding spots to the coast of the ocean. 

alexa took off her necklace and passed it to emma who clasped the necklace around her neck. she dove into the water and followed the boat with her three friends following shortly behind her.

the four girls made it to mako island before lewis and dr denman arrived. they split up into two groups: rikki and alexa in one group and cleo and emma in the other group so they could observe lewis and dr denman in case they found the arc that'd lead them to the moon pool.

it was a good thing they had the advantage over lewis and dr denman as the four girls had swam in the ocean many times as they knew where to hide so that they wouldn't get caught. whilst cleo and emma hit behind the sediment rock, alexa hid within the long green vines of the plant which allowed her to be safely hidden from prying eyes. meanwhile, rikki had decided to take a peak from behind a pillar of coral when she noticed that lewis turned towards her direction, she swam away and made her way to the rest of the girls who then swam back to the gold coast.

once the four girls made it back to the gold coast, emma gave alexa her necklace back so her human form returned. then, they made their way to emma's house since her family was out doing grocery shopping which allowed the group to talk freely in the gilbert household. cleo sent the mccartney a text to where the girls were so that they could talk about what happened in the ocean.

"did you think i wouldn't notice you guys spying on me? i mean, where's the trust?" lewis questioned the four girls as he held his arms open in exasperation. 

"the trust?" emma repeated, "i think it died when you accidentally gave our dna to a world-renowned marine biologist." she said as the four girls made their way down the stairs.

rikki corrected the gilbert in a sarcastic tone, "no, no i think it was when he agreed to take doctor baywatch babe on a date to mako island."

alexa added, "our secret is now at risk of being exposed, lewis. i told you to be careful but you left cleo's dna to be seen by dr denman which puts us all at risk of being discovered." she kept her hands behind her back.

cleo chimed in, "you've gone too far, lewis." she crossed her arms to her chest as the group made their way into the living room in the gilbert household.

"you don't trust me." lewis concluded after the four girls said what they wanted to say to the mccartney, "after everything we've been through. i've been working so hard trying to solve basic questions about why you guys are the way you are. and this is what it comes down to?"

"they're our lives, lewis." rikki pointed out, "what about alexa and her family?" she questioned the mccartney.

alexa agreed with the chadwick, "rikki's right. i have a family and my people back home to consider. i'll always be their princess and a princess' duty is to protect her people. their lives may be in danger because of your accident. it's not just about us, we're talking about the mermaid faction."

rikki added, "we're being careful. maybe you should be too."

"do you want to know what i think?" lewis asked. before any of the girls could answer, he continued, "i think you guys are a bunch of kids and at least dr denman is a woman and a bit more... mature."

alexa stepped forward so she was face to face with lewis. she had tried so hard to remain open minded with him working for dr denman but it had gone too far. the mermaid secret was at risk of being exposed once again. her family, her people and her friends were in danger. alexa stared at lewis with a blank face, "do you know why we have to be careful with our actions, lewis? you don't. cleo, rikki and emma turn into mermaids at the touch of any liquid whilst i turn into a mermaid when my necklace is no longer around my neck. this is bigger than us and you're saying that we're a 'bunch of kids' for watching out for ourselves? you may call it selfish but we're protecting ourselves and the lives of all the mermaids that would be at risk once the secret is revealed. you can think whatever you want about us or dr denman but when the people i love are at risk, i will not back down from doing anything to ensure that the secret is safe." she finished which earned a proud smile from the three mermaids.

lewis stared at the rooney before he looked down and made his way out of the gilbert household.

👑

AFTER ALEXA SAID WHAT SHE NEEDED TO SAY TO LEWIS, SHE FOUND HERSELF BACK AT THE BEACH. so much had happened that had left alexa stressed from the entire situation. she knew lewis meant well, that he wanted to help out the girls in any way but it was his willingness to help that drove him to go to any wavelength to get the answers he needed for his friends which was his downfall. his downfall was giving his resume to dr denman to be her research assistant which caused them to be in the position they were in right now.

alexa had decided to do some painting whilst she sat on top of a blanket that was placed outside of the sand. painting had always allowed her to express herself and it had easily become one of the ways she used as a mechanism to escape from reality. she had decided to paint a sea-shell on the canvas with multiple sea creatures surrounding the sea-shell.

she was snapped out of her thoughts when niall sat down next to her as he watched her paint on the canvas, "if you make a mess of the painting, what do you do?" he questioned curiously.

alexa turned to her right where niall was sat before she continued painting, "i usually just improvise. everyone has a unique style to the way they paint which makes painting tailored to your liking."

"that reminds me of when i play football. in football, there are players in a team. some people prefer to either be the goalkeeper, midfielder, defender or attacker. it shows that we all have a specific preference to whatever suits us.." niall trailed off. he noticed that alexa had stopped painting and was staring ahead with a blank look on her face, "are you alright?"

alexa snapped out of her daze and turned to face niall who had a concerned look on his face. she had never seen him so concerned for her so she sent him a small reassuring smile, "yeah, i'm alright. i was just thinking about something."

"do you want to talk about it?" niall asked the brunette.

alexa shook her head, "no thanks. it's alright. it's nothing."

niall wanted the rooney to know that he would always be there whenever he needed her but then they didn't really know each other very well. this was the first conversation that neither of the two were clashing with one another, they just had a civilised conversation without any sarcasm or an argument regarding nicknames.

so to keep the conversation civilised, niall simply hummed and nodded his head at the rooney's words because he'd rather respect her boundaries than pry into business that didn't involve him. when she was ready, he was willing to be by her side and listen to her whenever she needed it.

neither of the two knew but this conversation and interaction had changed their perspectives of one another. niall had seen a girl who had so much love to give to the people around her that she doesn't ever think of herself once. he didn't see a girl that he'd wind up on a regular basis but the girl who was willing to walk through fire to protect and save her friends.

alexa had seen that niall was more than a guy who was self-centred and witty. he had demonstrated his understanding nature when he respected her boundaries when she didn't want to talk.

so the two remained sat on the blanket in a comfortable silence as alexa continued to paint whilst niall quietly observed her painting. it was as if the two were in their own world and no matter what, they'd always find each other at their place.

👑

THEIR MOMENT OF SOLACE WAS RUINED BY NIALL'S PHONE RINGING WHICH WAS HIS AUNT SAYING THAT SHE NEEDED HIM. so alexa left the beach and made her way to the juicenet cafe where the group was meeting. it turned out that dr denman still had cleo's dna sample and that she was running tests on it whilst writing an article based on it which meant that the girls were right and lewis was wrong. the group was sat around a silver table as cleo informed the group of what she had found.

"it looked like an article for a scientific journal or something. it's the same stuff as you keep blabbing about, lewis." cleo stated as she referred to the article that dr denman had been working on, "it proves that she's still got the dna sample. it was in a little white slide box."

"well, lewis?" emma questioned the mccartney expectantly as she rested her head on her right hand.

"she wouldn't." lewis replied as he continued to defend dr denman.

cleo continued, "it looked like she'd been studying it. doing tests."

"she's not like that." lewis stated in denial.

"lewis, you said that it's a scientist's job to get to the bottom of their findings and to find what drives them. well, cleo's dna sample is what's driving dr denman to do further testing on the dna sample whilst writing an article about it." alexa pointed out.

rikki nodded her head in agreement to the rooney's words, "time to face facts, romeo."

"facts?" lewis repeated in a harsh tone, "you don't have any facts. cleo, you read a bit of an article you don't understand." he said as he turned to face the sertori.

cleo retorted, "i understand enough to know it's the same stuff you say."

"so? maybe i've influenced her thinking. i have a very forceful personality." lewis reasoned.

"huh." rikki let out in disbelief whilst emma had a small smile on her face as she looked away from the mccartney's eyes.

"why do you think she wants me on her research trip?" lewis asked the four girls, "did it ever occur to you that there might be a reason? like—like she values my opinion."

"and your mopping." rikki added as she pointed her finger at lewis which caused the mccartney to send one last look to the four girls before he stood up from his seat and made his way out of the cafe.

"he's lost it." emma stated.

"totally." rikki said as she agreed with the gilbert.

alexa nodded her head, "this has gone way too far. he's helping us but if this is his way of helping, our secret may be exposed. we have to do something."

"we've got to find a way into that lab." emma suggested to the group as she began to construct a plan in her head.

"ah, correction. you guys have to." cleo corrected the gilbert, "i'm going to lose my job if i get caught in that place again."

since cleo couldn't sneak into the lab, it was up to emma, rikki and alexa. the three girls snuck into the marine park carefully before they swam into the dolphin tank where dr denman had been working. they had made it up to the water's surface to inhale a deep breath when they heard lewis announce his presence.

"dr denman." the mccartney greeted the marine biologist.

"lewis?" she questioned which caused the three girls to dive underwater so that the wouldn't get caught.

the three girls remained silent as they listened to the conversation that was going on between dr denman and lewis. it turned out that dr denman still had cleo's dna sample which was on a slide that was by all the mako slides. whilst the two talked, rikki had made many attempts to grab the slide only to fail each time when dr denman had turned in her direction which caused rikki and the two girls to go underwater in case they got caught. 

👑

RIKKI, EMMA AND ALEXA DECIDED TO MEET UP WITH CLEO EARLY THE NEXT MORNING. the three girls had informed the sertori of yesterday's events how dr denman had asked lewis if he could get more samples so she could do further testing. yesterday's events had left all the girls on edge that they decided to meet up to confide in one another. alexa and cleo was sat beside one another on a stone step whilst rikki and emma sat together on the stone step below the two brunettes.

"i didn't sleep a wink last night." cleo admitted to the three girls.

"me neither." rikki, emma and alexa responded simultaneously.

"you do realise she'll eventually get it out of him, don't you?" emma questioned the group.

"what?" cleo asked as she hugged her knees close to her chest.

"she's talking about where lewis got the dna from." alexa elaborated for the sertori.

"we have to get that slide back." rikki told the three girls which was what they had to do so that dr denman didn't have anything to do research on.

cleo was friends with lewis when they were younger and they always had a close bond so she defended the mccartney, "lewis wouldn't sell us out completely, would he?"

rikki snapped at the sertori, "stop having so much faith in human nature. he already has sold us out." she turned to face the sertori, "you're the only one who doesn't think so. why is that?

cleo replied, "i just don't believe it. lewis is... our friend." she stood up from her seat.

"where are you going, cleo?" alexa asked curiously.

cleo answered, "i'm gonna go talk to lewis, even if it is for the last time." when she noticed that none of the girls were following her, she turned around and asked, "well?"

the three girls shared a look before they got up from their seats and followed behind cleo who was rushing to the docks only to notice that dr denman's boat had already pulled away. it meant that cleo's slide was still in the scientist's hands along with lewis who must have accepted dr denman's offer to travel around the world with her to conduct further research.

"come on, if anybody can catch her, we can." cleo said as she was about to jump into the water.

rikki held her by the elbow so that she didn't jump into the water, "wait. i think that might defeat the purpose of all the secrecy, don't you?"

cleo nodded her head and sent an apologetic smile to the three girls, "oh. you're right. sorry." she asked, "but are we just gonna let him go like this?"

"like what?" lewis asked which caused the four girls to turn to their left to see lewis walking up to them.

"lewis, you didn't go." cleo stated like it was obvious in a happy tone.

"keen observation, cleo. very, very good." lewis said sarcastically before he held up a slide which had cleo's dna sample on.

"you got the slide back!" emma stated ecstatically as she noticed the slide that was in lewis' grasp.

"and she didn't suck you in?" rikki questioned lewis.

"what? are you serious? you think i'd buy that stuff about being a good scientist?" he scoffed, "please." 

cleo asked, "what about her records, all the stuff i saw?"

"when she opens the file, i think she'll find it's recently been erased. oops." lewis replied, "no, i don't think the good doctor and i are a team anymore, guys."

alexa stepped forward, "i know that i have said some things but when my people, friends and family are in danger, i will do everything i can to ensure their safety." she stated firmly.

lewis sent the rooney a proud smile, "i've always admired that about you, alexa. you're protectiveness and the lengths you're willing to go to for your people. i'm sorry that my actions almost cost the lives of the mermaid faction." he apologised.

alexa sent the mccartney a firm nod, "just make sure that this doesn't happen again."

"it's good to have you back, lewis." cleo told the mccartney with a bright smile on her face before she held her arms out to embrace the boy in a hug only for the mccartney to hold his hands out awkwardly with a nervous smile on his face before the two settled on giving each other a high-five.

"thank you." lewis thanked the brunette sertori.

the group then made their way off the dock and back to the juicenet cafe where they celebrated another victory of their mermaid secret being safe once again.

but soon enough, their secret was bound to be revealed within time.

👑

AUTHOR'S NOTE: so we've had a lot going on. let's start with alexa. she had been pushed to her limit and her willingness to protect her people, family and friends had caused her to give a speech to lewis which was a different side of alexa we haven't seen much of. she always knows what to say because the way she words her replies can easily render someone speechless. it demonstrates that alexa's princess nature is still noticeable in the things she do.

we also got some niall and alexa moments. i can't wait to build up their relationship where we'll witness them having some adorable moments.

other than that, thank you to the people who have taken the time out of their day to read this story. it means so much to me. i hope you all have a good day and i'll see you all in the next chapter :).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...