Wagered

By emmehnim1

Minerva sought a man that sparked something inside her that none of the men of the ton could seem to do. That... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14

12

3.4K 70 3
By emmehnim1

"Truly? You are engaged?!" Penelope asked in a whisper as the girls rode their horses through Hyde Park.

"Well, no one knows about it. And I haven't seen Elijah since he moved out a few days ago..."

"Perhaps it was all just part of that bet they made..."

"Maybe," Minerva said with a sigh. "It could be a game. He didn't even write my parents that I know of - or tell Michael."

"But he said he loved you? So it must be..."

"He didn't say the words, and then he never mentioned it again."

"What did he say then?"

"Oh, nothing. Perhaps I misunderstood."

"Alex has been hanging out with Elijah a lot more. I must say I like him a lot."

"Elijah? I didn't realize you thought one way or the other," Minerva said.

"I find him pleasant most of the time. Although he can be even bossier than my dear husband - which I didn't think possible. And he is handsome..."

"Handsome? You fancy Eli?"

"Well, I'm married..."

"But you fancy the Lieutenant General, the Earl of Sutton. You little minx," Minerva giggled.

"You aren't upset, are you?"

"Not at all. In fact, I find the duke quite attractive myself. And very nice to me."

"I think he enjoyed touching you too, Min," Penelope laughed.

"Oh, yes, that...." Minerva blushed.

"You are the only woman I would ever do that with. And definitely the only girl I would let Alex touch and talk about ad nauseam."

"Talk about?"

"Yes, talk about. It is actually cute. I believe Alex has a crush."

"Pen! You know I would never..."

Penelope giggled. "I'm not worried about it. I've not been jealous. At first, I think he was testing the waters with that - to see if I was getting angry or worried. But then he would ask about you or say how lovely you looked."

"Really?"

"Mmhm. So I mentioned how handsome Eli is..."

"Did he kill Elijah?" Minerva asked with a chuckle.

"No. Alex actually," Penelope stopped her horse. "He asked if I would like to sleep with him."

"Nooooo!"

"Yes. He didn't even say 'fuck' as he tends to do. He said, 'make love.'"

"What did you say?!"

"What would you say?"

"Hell yes," Minerva thought about Elijah as she responded. It was always a 'yes' to Elijah for her.

"Then you have your answer."

"Was he angry?"

"No. He said he would," Penelope looked around to ensure their privacy. "He would like to...do that with you!"

"Nooooo!"

"Yes. And not just with me being there!"

"He said that?! To you?! You would never..."

"I told him it would be fine..." Penelope said with a shrug.

"What?! Are you mad, woman?! That is more like an affair than..."

"An orgy?" Penelope laughed.

"I doubt Eli would ever..."

"Really? Your Eli? I guess we shall see because Alex may say something today at the club."

"Oh, my," Minerva said, looking at the sky.

"If you don't want me fucking your..."

"Oh, Penelope! That's not it! I would do anything with or for you! I trust you completely. Even if you said you loved Eli, I know you wouldn't try to end my relationship with him!"

"Never! And the same for you and Alex. I can't say I would never be jealous, but I likely would encourage it."

"Truly?"

"I know it is silly. But I love Alex and you so much that it seems only natural for you both to... you know."

"But Elijah may not love me as I love him..."

"He said...!"

"I know," Minerva shook her head. She could never do anything Penelope just suggested if she didn't have her own love match. "But he never said the words."

"Then you must come by for dinner tonight and ask him. I believe the men plan to go out to a gaming hall after."

"You planned to dine with the man I love without me?!" Minerva pretended to take offense. "You bitch!"

"Drat. There goes my plan! Thwarted by my own good ideas!"

The girls giggled as they rode home and planned what to do about the Earl.

***

"Minnie," Alex said with an assessing look as she walked into the salon later that evening. She was dressed in a deep crimson gown with her hair left mainly down her back. "You look exquisite."

"That is my word for her," Elijah said as he batted his friend from her offered hand. "Exquisite as always, love," he said as he kissed her knuckles. "Alex, did I happen to mention our pending nuptials?"

"No, you haven't," Alex said as he offered Minerva his arm to walk her further into the room and offer her a seat on the settee.

"Good evening, Min," Penelope said from her chair near the fire. Her feet were propped, and she looked tired. "The ride did me in. This baby is a brute."

Alex gave a proud father look as he admired his wife, "Just like his father."

"Hm? The footman was a brute?" Elijah teased as he sat in the chair opposite Penelope. His eyes were on her swollen ankles.

"Fuck off," Alex said, sitting beside Minerva. "When Penelope said you were coming tonight..."

"Hmmm, she hasn't cum properly in a few days," Elijah piped in with a wry chuckle. Penelope was the only one that giggled at his joke. The other two seemed more concerned.

"Shame," Alex said. "So you really plan to marry this clod?"

"Mmhm. I lost a bet," Minerva said, giving her own bit of acerbic humor, to which everyone chuckled, even Elijah.

"Indeed you did, love," Elijah said. "My home will be done shortly, and then we will have a nice ceremony - by special license, of course - in a week."

"What?!" Minerva gasped out. "My family..."

"Will be in town tomorrow."

"Eli, you just can't make decisions...."But he just quirked a brow. "Fine. But you could have spoken..."

"Surprise, my love."

"Min, I can't believe you think he doesn't love you! He uses the word constantly!"

"Penelope!" Minerva shrieked. "I can not believe..."

Elijah was chuckling at the exchange. "It is quite obvious, so I hear."

"You are so..." Minerva started before she felt Alex's hand lightly brush the side of her neck, causing her to shiver and look at him.

"You don't need to marry him. I'm sure Penelope would love a roommate..."

"Now that is just not happening!" Elijah thundered from a more aggressive position in his chair. Penelope reached out and gently placed her hand on his flexed shoulder. It must have calmed him because he sat back and cut his eyes at the two on the settee.

"I appreciate the offer, your grace, but I'm in love with Elijah," she whispered as his fingers traced over her jaw. She looked over his handsome features. "But I would love to spend more time with you." she bit her lip waiting for his response.

It came in the form of him pulling her lip from her teeth with his thumb and caressing it. "I'd like that, little one," he nearly whispered as his lips came forward.

"Dinner is served, your grace," the butler declared as the duke's lips almost met her own.

"Another time?" he whispered as he sat back and stood, offering his arm.

Elijah walked over to Penelope and helped her stand. "What was that about?" he muttered to her so both Minerva and Alex could hear.

"I think my husband fancies your fiance."

"And you aren't outraged?"

"That would be rather hypocritical of me, now, wouldn't it?" she said with a wink.

Elijah was finally speechless.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 9.5K 21
John Osborne has a promising career with the War Office and lacks for nothing. Except, possibly, a wife. Unfortunately, the woman he wants only has e...
Bound To Bea By Lily Orevba

Historical Fiction

89.2K 7.4K 47
"No respect for the dead." His words came out in silent whispers, his teeth clenched. A small smile tugged on her lips. "Respect is earned in life, m...
232K 9.2K 29
An Amazon bestseller! Published and available on Amazon in ebook, paperback, and hardback. #1 in Regency Era Romance After the death of a wealthy N...
40.3K 828 21
𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐃 • 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠, 𝐚𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐡...