Vines and Thorns

Bởi jussiesgirl

╔ ═══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ═══════╗ ❝𝕊𝒉𝖾Ꞌs 𝕥𝒉𝖾 ľ𝞼𝒗𝖾ľוֹ𝖾s𝕥 ƙוֹ𝖓𝛿 𝞼ᵳ ന𝞪𝛿❞ ╚ ═══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ═══════╝... Xem Thêm

𝟘𝟘𝟘-ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕤/𝔼𝕩𝕥𝕣𝕒 𝕀𝕟𝕗𝕠
ᴀᴄᴛ 001...ꜱᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ ᴍᴏɴꜱᴛᴇʀꜱ
𝟘𝟘𝟙-𝕀𝕟𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕕𝕦𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔹𝕦𝕝𝕝 ℝ𝕚𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘
𝟘𝟘𝟚-𝔸𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕤 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 ℍ𝕠𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕤 𝕊𝕦𝕔𝕜
𝟘𝟘𝟛-ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕚𝕠𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 ℚ𝕦𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕤
𝟘𝟘𝟜-𝔾𝕚𝕗𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔾𝕠𝕠𝕕𝕓𝕪𝕖𝕤
𝟘𝟘𝟝-𝕀 𝕘𝕖𝕥 𝕒 𝕄𝕒𝕟𝕚-ℙ𝕖𝕕𝕚
𝟘𝟘𝟞-ℍ𝕖𝕣𝕒 𝕚𝕤 𝕒 𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕃𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕎𝕠𝕣𝕕
𝟘𝟘𝟟-𝕎𝕖 ℂ𝕣𝕒𝕤𝕙 𝕒 𝕎𝕖𝕕𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘
𝟘𝟘𝟠-ℙ𝕣𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕖𝕔𝕪 𝔽𝕦𝕝𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕕
𝟘𝟘𝟡-ℍ𝕠𝕞𝕖 𝕊𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕥 ℍ𝕠𝕞𝕖
ᴀᴄᴛ 002...ᴛʜᴇ ᴛɪᴛᴀɴꜱ ᴄᴜʀꜱᴇ
𝟘𝟙𝟘-𝔼𝕩𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝕋𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝟙
𝟘𝟙𝟙-𝕃𝕚𝕧𝕖, 𝕃𝕒𝕦𝕘𝕙, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕂𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕄𝕠𝕟𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕤
𝟘𝟙𝟚-𝔽𝕝𝕪𝕚𝕟𝕘 ℂ𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 ℂ𝕙𝕠𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝔹𝕒𝕣𝕤
𝟘𝟙𝟜-𝕄𝕠𝕟𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕠, 𝕄𝕠𝕤𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕚𝕖

𝟘𝟙𝟛-ℚ𝕦𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔹𝕒𝕣𝕓𝕖𝕔𝕦𝕖

82 3 0
Bởi jussiesgirl

I was pleasantly surprised to see the camp dusted in a thin blanket of snow. Every year, it depended on my father's moods to determine how much snow found its way into camp. Last year, we got nothing after the Stoll brothers decided to test out their firecrackers in their cabin, and nearly set the whole camp on fire.

Christmas was only a few weeks away, and as usual, the camp was decked out in lights and an assortment of random decorations. Each cabin could decorate as they pleased, and everyone made it a competition to have the best setup—although the Aphrodite cabin won every year.

The Hephaestus cabin had a mechanical reindeer they made three years ago sitting on their roof, and it glowed brightly amidst all the other cabins. The only cabins that were left dark were the ones that were empty—Poseidon, Zeus, Hera, and Artemis.

There were only a few campers outside—fewer than their usually was at this time of year. The camp was usually pretty empty after summer ended, but there were a few faces that I didn't see walking around, Clarisse's included.

"Woah." Nico's eyes were as large as saucers as he looked around camp. "Is that a climbing wall?"

I cracked a smile. "Yep."

"Why is their lava pouring down it?" I looked towards the large tower that was used during exercises. The lava glowed brightly in the dark sky, illuminating the camp in a soft glow.

Jackson shrugged his shoulders. "Little extra challenge. Come on. I'll introduce you to Chiron. Zoë, have you met—"

"I know Chiron." The girl interrupted in a hard tone. "Tell him we will be in Cabin Eight. Hunters, follow me."

Thalia ground her teeth next to me as Grover stumbled after them. "I'll show you the way." Neither Zoë or the other Hunters slowed down, and they continued to walk towards their cabin.

"We know the way." Zoë told him in an annoyed voice, barely giving the Satyr a second glance.

"Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here, if you don't—" I stifled a laugh when he tripped over a canoe, his body disappearing for a moment before he scrambled to his feet. "—like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

Zoë continued to ignore him as the rest of the hunters followed after them, grabbing their bags and bows and slinging them over their shoulders. Apollo, who had been the last one to exit the bus, gave them all a big wave. "Take care sweethearts!" The god turned to look towards Jackson, giving him a wink. "Watch out for those prophecies, Percy. I'll see you soon."

Jackson pushed his brows together. "What do you mean?"

But the god had already moved on, and I tensed when I felt his gaze slide to me. That same knowing look entered his eyes, and I stared right back, daring him to say whatever it was that he was seeing. But he just gave me a wink, a sly smirk on his face when he turned towards Thalia.

"Later Thalia! And uh, be good!" The smile he gave her was akin to the one he had given me—the one that said he knew something that she didn't. I watched as the god hopped into sun chariot that now resembled the red car he had originally been driving before.

I looked away when I heard the thing roar to life, heat blasting my back as the car takes off into the sky. I turn around after a few seconds to watch the red car climbing into the sky, flying farther and higher until it disappeared in the rising sun.

"Who's Chiron?" Nico asked after the god had disappeared. "I don't have his figurine."

Jackson spared the small boy a quick look. "Our activities director. He's...well you'll see."

Nico crossed his arms over his chest, looking in the direction that the Hunters had gone. "If those Hunters don't like him that's good enough for me."

I laugh, shaking my head as I begin to walk towards the Big House, Thalia walking beside me as the boys fall in line behind us. I could hear Nico blabbing about everything he saw, his excited voice a welcomed comfort.

I was happy to be back in camp—I didn't realize how much I would miss it until I was gone. "Good to be back, huh?" Thalia hadn't spent much time in camp—considering she had become a tree before she could even enter it. I grin, nodding my head.

"I don't know how people could spend the year away from here. I was going insane." I thought back to those torturous months I had spent at school, and I wince. We pass by a few Ares kids throwing snowballs at each other, and I have to duck when one almost hits me in the head.

I turn to glare at the duo, who take one look at my expression and turn the other way. "Your eyes are glowing." Thalia murmurs quietly, and I blink looking at the ground.

"Oh."

It had been an effort to keep my powers in check when I was at school—but being here relaxed me to the point where the shield I kept around them had fallen. I had learned that whenever I got really emotional, my eyes would get a bright shine to them, similar to the simmering fire my father would have in his eyes when he was pissed off.

There was enough fear in camp about what I could do without the glowing eyes, but there was little I could do to control it here.

The Big House was decked out in lights along with the rest of camp, illuminating the front porch. A fire was going in the main room, and I could see both my father and Chiron sitting next to it playing a game of cards.

The two made an odd pair, with Chiron seated in his wheelchair that hid his legs, wearing a deep red sweater with a horse hoof print in the center. My father was dressed in a bright orange track-suit paired with purple running shoes, and I winced.

I had only seen my father's true form once—in a dream like state given to me by the sirens. He had chosen to look how he did in spite of Zeus, but it was easy to forget that this was just a temporary form.

Chiron was the only one who looked up when we entered, pausing the game to smile up at us. "Percy! Danae! Thalia! Ah, and this must be—"

"Nico di Angelo. He and his sister are half-bloods." Jackson told him, Nico stiffening beside me at the mention of his sister.

Chiron heaved a long sigh of relief. "You succeeded then."

I stare at the ground, wincing. "Well..."

"What's wrong?" And where is Annabeth?" Chiron's voice was full of concern, but my mouth wasn't functioning when I attempted to explain what had happened. I could still the moment when Annabeth had jumped onto the back of the Manticore—see the look of shock on her face as he plunged off the side of the cliff.

I could only imagine what plans Luke would have for her—what he would do. The small, semblance of love I still shared for him hoped that he wouldn't hurt her, but I knew what false hope that was.

"Oh dear." My father sighed, lifting his eyes off the cards in front of him. "Not another one lost."

My teeth clamped together tightly, my gaze turning hard. It was no secret that my father hated being here—but did he have to make his dislike for the campers so known? "What do you mean?" Thalia questioned. "Who else is lost?"

I recall the few campers I saw outside, and my insides turned into a tight knot. Before either my father or Chiron had the chance to respond, Grover busted through the front door. He was sporting a large black eye and a red welt that looked suspiciously like a hand, but he was still smiling like an idiot. "The Hunters are all moved in!"

Chiron raised his brows. "The Hunters, eh? I see we have much to talk about." The old centaur gave Nico a sideways glance. "Grover, perhaps you should take our young friend to the den and show him our orientation film."

Grover's once lifted face instantly fell. "But—Oh. Right. Yes, sir." The young satyr gently grabbed Nico's arm, nudging him towards the front door.

"Orientation film? Is it G or PG? Cause Bianca is kinda strict—"

"It's PG-13." Grover said simply, and Nico's eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas.

"Cool!" We all watched as the duo exited the room, and Chiron waited before both were gone before turning to look at us.

He took us in slowly, as if trying to piece together the story himself. I could only imagine how we all appeared to him—bloody and torn clothes, bruised bodies, and messed hair. It wasn't the worst he had seen us, but it definitely wasn't the best.

Chiron took a deep breath. "Now, perhaps you three should sit down and tell us the whole story."

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

I didn't listen to most of what Thalia or Jackson said. They retold what happened from the very last detail, and they needed no interruption from me as they explained.

No, my gaze was fixed on my father, who instead of listening, was continuing his game of cards as if nothing of importance was going on at all. And it pissed me off.

By the time Thalia and Jackson were done, Chiron had turned to look at my father with a worried expression. "We should launch a search for Annabeth immediately."

"I'll go!" The three of us all stepped forward at the same time, to which Mr. D only scrunched his nose.

"Certainly not!" He exclaimed, and all of us instantly began to argue, our words getting mixed together and muffled by the other. We all stopped the moment he held up a hand, his eyes getting that godly glow that usually meant someone was about to be turned into a dolphin.

"From what you have told me, we have broken even on this escapade. Gained, if you count the young miss Tori. We have, ah, regrettably lost Annie Bell—"

"Annabeth." Jackson snapped angrily, his blue eyes flashing in the low light.

My father waved a dismissing hand. "Yes, yes. And you procured a small annoying boy to replace her. So I see no point risking further half-bloods on a ridiculous rescue. The possibility is very great that this Annie girl is dead."

I heard Thalia let out a small gasp, her eyes wide. I don't think that any of us have even considered the possibility, yet that Annabeth was gone, gone. Sure she wasn't here right now, but there was no way that Luke would...

He couldn't. Not Annabeth.

"Annabeth may be alive." Chiron's attempt at reassurance was half-assed at best. "She's very bright. If...if our enemies have her, she will try to play for time. She may even pretend to cooperate."

"That's right." Thalia added, nodding her head. "Luke would want her alive." She said the words as if she were trying to convince herself more than anyone else, but it appeared to be working.

"In which case," my father continued. "I'm afraid she will have to be smart enough to escape on her own." I ground my teeth, sending him a sharp glare. I wasn't surprised to see Jackson stand up suddenly, his fingertips a pale white as he balled his hands into tight fists.

Chiron eyed the boy carefully. "Percy." He warned slowly, and I sat back further in my chair, wishing I had some popcorn.

"You're glad to lose another camper." Jackson hissed venomously. "You'd like it if we all disappeared!"

My father barely even blinked at the accusation, simply raising a brow. "You have a point?"

"Yeah." Jackson's voice was dripping with hate. "Just because you were sent here as punishment doesn't mean you have to be a lazy jerk! This is your civilization, too. Maybe you could try helping out a little!"

The tension in the air was almost palpable as my father stared Jackson down, a murderous gleam in his eyes. I was surprised that Jackson hadn't tucked tail and run—instead he stood even taller if that was possible.

I tensed, preparing to jump between them if need-be. I may not be Jackson's number one fan but teasing him would be difficult if he was turned into a dolphin. My father opened his mouth to say something when the front door barged open once more, and Nico and Grover burst through.

Nico's whole face was lit up like the fourth of July, his eyes wide as he looked between Mr. D and Chiron. "SO COOL! You're... you're a centaur!" The small boy pointed an excited finger towards the old man, who still looked uneasy from the previous conversation.

"Yes, Mr di Angelo, if you please. Though, I prefer to stay in human form in this wheelchair for, ah, first encounters." Chiron's eyes flitted between my father and Jackson, who were still staring daggers at each other.

Nico turned away from Chiron and towards my father. "And, woah! You're the wine dude? No way!" I had to stifle my laugh as my father's gaze finally slipped from Jackson and towards the small boy who was currently jumping up and down in front of him.

"The wine dude?" My father's look of warning did nothing to deter the small boy, who seemed to get even more excited when the god gave him attention.

"Dionysus right? Oh, wow! I've got your figurine!" Nico seemed to fumble in his pockets for a moment as Mr. D sat there, puzzled.

"My figurine."

Nico produced a small, purple plastic figurine form his pocket, holding it up proudly. "In my game, Mythomagic. And a holofoil card too! And even though you've only got like five hundred attack points, and everybody thinks you're the lamest god card, I totally think your powers are sweet!"

My father didn't seem to know what to do with the information and winced as he leaned back in his chair. "Ah...Well, that's... gratifying."

"Percy." Chiron took the moment of distraction to turn towards the still standing idiot beside me. "You, Thalia, and Danae go down to the cabins. Inform the campers we'll be playing capture the flag tomorrow evening."

I scrunched my brows. "There's hardly enough people here to play capture the flag, and besides—"

"It is a tradition." Chiron interrupted me quickly. "A friendly match, whenever the Hunters visit."

Thalia grimaced. "Yeah, I bet it's real friendly." I could tell that the idea of fighting them amused her though—and I could already see the wheels turning in her head as she thought of how to beat them.

That was one thing about Thalia—she always thought ahead.

She was always thinking about the next step or what came next. Versus what I typically enjoyed doing—which was going with the flow and coming up with it as I went. It drove her nuts over the summer whenever I ended up being a team captain for Capture the Flag, which was often considering Jackson would rather just stab at someone than come up with a plan.

Nico began rambling about stat points for the different gods, getting my father's complete attention. "Run along now." Chiron urged us quietly, and I gave Thalia a quick wave of my hand, letting her know that I wouldn't be going with them.

She winced, looking between me and my father before grabbing Jackson's arm. "Oh, right. Come on, Percy."

I stood completely still while she dragged him off before my esteemed father could remember that he planned on turning him into some kind of marsupial. Chiron gave me a wary glance, but I ignored him as I stood to the side, watching as Nico is dragged away by Grover.

The air was filled with a tense silence when they were gone—my father finally deigning to put down his cards to look at me. "How was school?"

It was the stupidest question I had ever heard.

"I'm going after Annabeth." I ignore his question, meeting his stare with one of my own. Chiron sat off to the side, his mouth pursed into a thin line.

Dionysus barely blinks. "No."

My jaw ticks as I stand up straighter, squaring my shoulders. "You don't get to dictate what I do and don't do. She needs our help and—"

"I SAID NO."

I stumble backwards when he rises from his chair, completely caught by surprise as he looks at me with a dangerous gleam in his eyes. "Just because you are my blood doesn't mean you get to do what you want. I will not have you running off in the midst of winter to chase after cold trails and dead ends. The girl is gone. I know she was your friend—"

"You don't know that." My voice was soft, and I wince when I realize I had interrupted him. "You don't know that she's gone."

He lets out a long-winded sigh, rubbing his temples. "I know that I won't let you go running after her." He challenges simply, raising a brow. "I know a lot more than you think, child. But I will make you a deal." My head snaps up, my eyes wary as I look at him. "If you win the game tomorrow, you can leave. If not, you can take some time in the kitchens to rethink your attitude."

I bristle at the end, knowing how horrible kitchen duty is. Beating the Hunters? Easy.

I give my father a small smile. "Deal."

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

When I left the Big House, I walked straight towards my cabin. I was still blowing off some steam, and made little eye contact with anyone, but if anyone could restore my good mood, it was my brothers.

I kicked open my door so loudly I'm pretty sure I startled half the camp, and I heard two loud crashes from inside, followed by low and angry curses.

"Whoever did that is about to get a face full of—Dani!!" Pollux was the first one to walk out of his room—shirtless and groggy. The murderous look in his eyes fades the moment he sees me, and he rushes towards me, grabbing me into a tight hug. "Cas! Get your ass out here! Dani's back!"

I struggle to breathe with his tight grip, and I cough as my brother's arms only tighten around me more. Castor appears a second later, wearing the ugliest Christmas sweater I have ever seen—and it doesn't take long before a second pair of hands is wrapped around me just as tight.

"I was only gone for a few months—Agh I can't breathe!" I push their hands away, and they step backwards, grinning like idiots.

"We hoped you'd be back for the winter break—"

"But we didn't know for sure. But don't worry, we still decorated!" The two begin talking at once, and I'm instantly lost, trying to make sense of what they were saying but failing miserably.

Every year, we decorated the outside of our cabin just like everyone else, but we also made sure that the inside was just as festive.

Each room would be decked out in Christmas lights and decorations, with a large tree standing in the center of our cabin. We had all acquired random ornaments over the years, and so the tree itself was a mismatched assortment of random items we had received.

Last year, after fighting and killing a Catoblepas, it had left behind a single steel plate. I had kept the steel plate in my room, but obviously it had been taken out considering I could see a steel cow ornament hanging on the tree next to a crooked snowflake.

I put my hands on my hips, glaring at the tree and then my brothers. "I wanted to set up the tree with you." I whine, and Pollux grins, grabbing my hand.

"Oh no, so sad. Come on!" He yanks me towards my 'room' and I can't help the wide smile that spreads across my face.

Every inch of my room was decorated in something Christmas—between my transparent walls and my bed. My dresser was wrapped in bright tinsel and shining lights. On my bed was an assortment of horribly wrapped boxes that were ripped and taped in numerous places.

I turn to look at Cas and Pol, who were both grinning like idiots. "We agreed on no gifts this year!" I complain, punching both of them lightly in the arm.

Pollux just shrugs. "We figured you would need something nice after being at school for three months." I didn't want to know how they even got the gifts, considering both Chiron and our father were being stricter than usual about leaving camp unauthorized, but I wasn't about to complain.

I grab one of the gifts from the bed, lifting it in my hand. It was small, and could fit in my palm, and there was a small piece of the box showing underneath the horrible wrapping job. "You can't open them until Christmas." Cas tells me pointedly, and I roll my eyes, placing the gift back on my bed.

"Fine. That just gives me more time to get you two gifts." They both open their mouths to complain, but I hold up a hand to stop them. "Nuh-uh, you don't get to argue. You got me something, so I don't want to hear it. Now can I please get some sleep? It's been a long night."

I was still in the dirty clothes from yesterday that were half torn and bloody, and I was more than ready to shower and change into something not covered in sweat.

Pollux holds up his hands before spinning back around, going back to his room. Cas lingers behind, giving me a small smile. "We missed you. It's nice to have you back."

I give him an echoing smile before he leaves, and I let my walls become opaque. I practically run to the showers, where I continue to scrub every inch of my skin until it was raw. The wound in my chest was barely healed, and there was a red angry line where I had been sliced open. Dark bruises had appeared around the closed wound, and I winced every time I lifted my arms.

I made quick work of cleaning myself off before putting on a fresh pair of jeans and a sweatshirt I had gotten from Pollux last year. It was mostly black, but in the front there was a large blue dinosaur that had a grouchy look on its face. Pollux had gotten all of us matching ones—with his dino laughing, while Castor's looked falsely innocent. It was incredibly soft on the inside, and it was one of my favorite gifts he had gotten me.

As soon as I made it back to my cabin, I practically collapsed onto my bed, throwing my gifts haphazardly onto the ground. Hope they didn't get me anything fragile.

It didn't take me long to fall asleep—my body succumbing to the events of the last 24 hours. For a moment, my dreams were uncharacteristically good. But as per usual, nothing good ever lasts.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

The dream was different than the ones I have had in the past.

Everything was fuzzy and blurred, as if my eyes were refusing to focus on anything at once. I was standing in a large, dark open space with shadows crawling on the ground. There were two figures standing in front of me—one of which I recognized instantly.

Luke.

I didn't know who he was standing in front of, but I would recognize that tall frame and shaggy hair anywhere. "They'll come. They have to." His voice was deeper than I remembered, and gruffer.

The figure in front of him crossed his arms. "You are sure of it?"

Luke nodded his head. "Even if they know it's a trap, they won't be able to say no."

"And what of Thalia and the girl? You promised me they would have sworn allegiance already." The shadowed figure was at least a foot taller than Luke, and he had a voice of ancientness, a voice of old.

Luke shifted on his feet. "Thalia and Danae will see reason. They have to."

"I don't want to take any chances. Thalia must come to our side—and if Danae will not, she has to be dealt with. Send the General. You know what to do." My breath catches in my throat, my blood rushing through my body as I stumble backwards.

Luke takes the smallest step forward, shaking his head. "But I—"

I jump back as the shadowed figure becomes infinitely larger, towering over Luke. "That was an order. I do not care of your feelings for the girl. If the daughter of Zeus believes that the gods were responsible for Danae's downfall, she will come to us. Make it so."

Luke visibly swallowed, bowing his head. "Of course. It will be done."

I didn't even flinch as the shadows crawling on the ground swallowed me whole, and I welcomed the darkness as the two figures faded away into nothing.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

I woke up in a sheen of sweat.

My blankets were damp, and my body was in a mix of heat and cold flashes as I threw the covers off of me. I was still dressed in my clothes from earlier as I slipped on the first pair of shoes I saw and practically ran outside.

It turns out, I had been asleep for the entirety of the day.

The moon shines brightly in the sky, and no one is awake or lingering outside that I could see. The harpies don't bother any of the kids from Dionysus—much to the Stoll brothers dismay, so I ignored them as I cradled my arms close to my chest, taking in a deep breath of the cold air.

My sweat slowly dissipates, leaving behind a cold chill that reaches my bones. The snow-covered ground crunches beneath my feet, and the soft wind blows small tuffs of snow from the trees gently caress my hair.

The camp was quiet—peaceful. A stark contrast to the stomach curdling dream I just had. I shoved all thoughts of it out of my head, focusing on placing one step in front of another until I reached the training grounds.

I didn't mean to come here, but sparring always cleared my head, and I guess somewhere in me knew that. I looked down at my silver bracelet before clicking the bottom of the small acorn, releasing the long bronze sword.

The blade felt more than comfortable in my hands, and I rolled my shoulders back as I slowly but deliberately made my way through a series of exercises that would have even Jackson sweating.

I ran through them again, and again, and again, slicing and dodging and rolling until my body was shaking from fatigue. But I kept going, letting go of every thought except for the sword in my hands, letting myself focus only on the task at hand.

A new kind of calm washed over me as I practiced, stilling my mind, and calming my nerves. By the time I was done, I was barely able to lift my sword, and I let the tip of it drag into the ground as I took a break.

They want to use me to get to Thalia.... Lovely.

I couldn't let that happen, especially considering Thalia's birthday was next week, and with it, the possible end of the gods. I sat there in the cold, damp snow, mewling over my thoughts until my breaths had evened out and I begins to shiver from the cold.

Turning my sword back into its charm, I held out a hand in front of me, closing my eyes. It seemed like I was only able to produce even so much as a spark when I was upset or angry, but if I could at least control it...

I tried to pull on the tight string that was linked to my 'gifts; but there was nothing there to pull. Where there was once an unreasonable amount of power, there was now none. I tried again, instead attempting to focus on an emotion or a feeling to draw it out—but I was too tired to accomplish more than a tiny glimmer of anger.

Groaning I open my eyes, closing my palm. Pointless. It was pointless to even try it.

I think back to the deal I had made with my father—how winning the game today was now a priority, and I didn't care what I had to do to get it done. The moon had long disappeared in the sky, and I imagined we were only a few hours away from dawn.

I take another deep breath, gathering my bearings before picking myself off the ground, and walking slowly back to my cabin.

Failure isn't an option. Not this time.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

I didn't go back to sleep.

After lying in bed for an hour, doing nothing but staring at the ceiling, I grabbed a sketchbook and began to draw.

The lines came easy, and my hands moved without thought. It was a drawing I had done a million times already—one that I had seen in my head since I was 8. I couldn't stop myself as my body moved automatically—adding painful details that made me want to throw up.

I knew what it was, even if I had never actually seen it before.

It was the picture of a battlefield. Or rather, a city that had become one.

The tall buildings and the streets laden with unmoving cars made the setting easily identifiable as New York, but that's not what made the picture horrifying. There was wreckage around the center of the drawing—crumbled cars and people lying in the streets, some of them in worse shape than others.

People leaned on those close to them in an effort to stand, while they stared at the girl standing in the center. Her hair blew freely behind her in a tangled mess, and a long staff was held in her hands.

In front of her stood a man larger than any she had ever seen—roughly ten feet tall at least with a ice cold sword laying flat in his hand. His long hair and armor clad body stood tall in front of the seemingly small girl, but the girl didn't appear to balk or step away.

She stood proud in the middle of that street—stood with one hand on her staff and one hand open—a flame protruding from her fingertips. It was her against him. No one was rushing to her aid, no one was coming to help. She was alone.

I knew who that girl was—have known since the first time I ever saw the image in my head. I knew that it would one day come to pass too—I knew as sure as I knew my own name that the Great War was coming, that the prophecy was on its way to becoming fulfilled.

And it scared the ever-living shit out of me.

I stared at the drawing, my eyes boring into the paper as if I could set it on fire with my gaze. I grabbed the piece of paper and crumbled it into my palm before throwing it onto the ground before collapsing back onto my bed.

I forced my eye to close, forced every thought from my mind as I plunged my head into my blankets, refusing the acknowledge any of the thoughts flitting through my head. I'm not a pawn. I'm not a pawn.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

The next day, everyone was bustling in preparation for Capture the Flag. Cabins who usually never participated were eager to get a chance to kick the Hunters ass, most notably the Aphrodite cabin, who seemed to have a bone to pick with them.

I was on dragon duty in the morning—meaning I got to help my father and Argus feed the small baby dragon that was responsible for guarding the golden fleece that we had brought to camp last summer.

His name was Peleus, and he was barely big enough to wrap around even a quarter of the tree the Golden Fleece was on, but his fire breath and strong spiked tail warded off any monsters. The small dragon didn't like strangers, so most of the time Argus and my father were the only ones who were allowed to come close.

Over the few months that I had been at camp before going to school, my father had tried teaching me how to influence emotions; and my first task was to calm the dragon down before he ate me.

It was a close call that left me with charred clothes and a half-cooked arm, but I managed to get the dragon calm enough to let me go near. Now, Peleus was familiar enough with me that I didn't have to calm him down, but he also had a habit of trying to jump on me as a way of greeting.

I stood next to Argus while my father fed the small dragon slabs of raw meat that came from who knows where, my hands shoved into my pockets. "Have you been practicing?" My father asks suddenly beside me, and I tense, clenching my jaw.

"No." I didn't want to—didn't want to use my powers more than necessary, didn't want to face the consequences of using said powers.

"You should. You won't learn control unless you practice." Mr. D doesn't look at me while he talks, instead his gaze was focused on the dragon resting on the ground in front of us.

I cross my arms over my chest, pursing my lips into a thin line. "I can control it better now. There won't be another accident if that's what you're worried about." My voice came out ice cold and filled with venom.

My father sighs, shaking his head. "That's not—I'm not—Gods child, you're as temperamental as Zeus. I'm not worried about another 'accident'. I'm worried about you damnit. You will find yourself in a fight one day with nothing left but your own strength of will and the gifts you were given at birth, and if you can't use them, if you refuse to use them, you'll end up hurt or dead. They're apart of you child, it is time you accept that."

My teeth grind together as I stare at the ground, knowing that I have pissed my father off enough for one day. Save it for later.

"I should go get ready for capture the flag." I don't wait for a dismissal or for a response before turning around and practically sprinting the rest of the way down the hill.

We have to win—for Annabeth, we have to win.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

I ignored everyone while I strapped on my armor, my mind a clean slate of nothing as I tightened the leather straps around my wrists. Thalia and Jackson stood a few feet away, going over the last minute plan before the game begun.

"I'll take offense." Thalia asserted, her large bronze shield hanging off her wrist. The shield was a gift from her father, and the large face of medusa on its front made everyone give her a wide berth. "You take offense."

Jackson shifted on his feet, his eyes going towards her shield. "Oh...Don't you think, with your shield and all, you'd be better defense?"

I paused, fingering my last strap as Thalia cocked her head. "Well I was thinking it would make better offense. Besides, you've had more practice at defense." I can tell that Jackson was thinking the exact opposite, but I hold my tongue.

Both Jackson and Thalia were good with a sword—Jackson more so. It makes sense to have our best guy defending the flag. "Yeah. No problem."

"Cool. Danni, you're with me." I ignore Jackson's gaze as I nod my head, my fingers already pressing the small button on my bracelet that releases my sword. The campers around me eye both the sword and myself carefully, but I ignore them.

Thalia glances down at my stoic expression, a glimpse of worry in her eyes. "You ok? You look tense."

I hadn't told anyone about the deal I had made with my father, because while I knew Thalia would fight harder than anyone to win, I didn't want that pressure on her too. At present, it was my burden to bear.

I shrug my shoulders, my hand tensing. "Fine. Let's get this over with." Maybe it was the look on my face or the deadness in my voice, but the girl paused, giving me a wary glance.

Before she could press my any further, Chiron steps in front of us. "Heroes! You know the rules! The river is the boundary line. Blue team, Camp Half-Blood, shall take the west woods. Hunters of Artemis, red team, shall take the east woods. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. No intentional maiming, please! All magic items are allowed. To your positions!"

Thalia took off at a brisk pace in front of everyone else without waiting—our blue flag in hand. I keep right on her heels. I knew exactly where we were heading, considering we had all agreed beforehand on where to put the flag.

Zeus's fist was a well known spot in the woods, but it's tall, hard to scale walls made it easy to protect. When the flag was placed, Thalia made quick work of splitting everyone into three groups, Jackson and Nico with one, and Silena, the head of the Aphrodite cabin, on the other.

"We'll send a decoy to the left." Thalia explains, pointing towards Silena's group. "Silena, you lead that."

The girl nodded her head eagerly, her smile a bit too bright. "Got it!"

"Take Laurel and Jason. They're good runners. Make a wide arc around the Hunters, attract as many as you can. I'll take the main raiding party round to the right and catch them by surprise."

While the plan was hardly fool-proof, it was the best we got, and no one argued. "Anything to add Percy?"

Jackson's eyes widened a fraction, as if he had forgotten that he was a co-captain of the team. "Um, yeah. Keep sharp on defense. We've got four guards, two scouts. That's not much for a big forest. I'll be roving. Yell if you need help."

"And don't leave your posts." Thalia adds, and Jackson shrugs.

"Unless you see a golden opportunity." He argues.

"Just don't leave your post." Thalia asserts, eyeing Jackson with bright eyes.

"Right, unless—"

"Percy!" Half of the campers jump from the sudden shout as Thalia grips onto Jackson's arm, an audible zap coming from the contact. "Sorry." She mumbled, but the words sounded false. "Now, is everyone ready?"

Everyone gave a silent nod, breaking up into lines and groups. When the horn started signaling the start of the game, Silena and her small group took off first, sprinting towards the left, and making it as obvious as possible where they were going.

Thalia waited exactly ten seconds before giving us a single wave of her hand to follow, and we took off. "Danni, go up behind their flag. We'll take the front and take the focus off you." Thalia whispers back to me, and I give her a nod of my head before slowing my pace, allowing myself to disappear in the back of the group.

It didn't take long before a group of Hunters swarmed in towards us, and I gave Thalia a mock salute before charging in front of her, zig zagging through the trees and keeping low to the ground.

The sound of people fighting echoed through the air, followed by sharp curses and low groans. I can see their silver flag through the trees—and only one guard.

Bianca's eyes were wide and looking in every direction as I slowly approached the back end of the tree they had placed the flag in. She hadn't noticed me, yet, and she wouldn't until it was too late.

We're going to win this.

I was barely ten feet from the flag when I saw Bianca tossed to the ground, and I straighten when I see Jackson's wince. "Sorry!"

I don't wait before running towards the flag, glaring daggers at the stupid idiot who now had his hands on the flag. "Jackson what in Zeus's name do you think you're doing?" I hiss, and he gives me a brief, apologetic look before grabbing the flag and sprinting back towards our side of the woods.

Already, I could see his mistake. Because halfway towards the fist, was Zoë motherfucking Nightshade. FUCK.

I start following him in a dead sprint, ignoring the dozens of fallen campers either groaning on the ground or holding off a group of hunters. I can see Jackson go down in front of me, a bundle of wire somehow winding up around his foot.

A hunter pounced in front of me before I could reach him, and I have seconds to duck and roll to the side before she attacked. I swatted at her with the flat side of my sword, hitting the flat side of my sword against her ribs hard enough to bruise them, and she stumbles backwards, giving me the chance to sweep my leg underneath her own, making her fall to the ground.

When I look up, Jackson had already resumed his sprint back towards our side, but it was too late. Zoë was running like the wind past the campers, only a mere hundred feet from her own side.

"No!" I shout angrily, and I move to intercept her, already knowing that it would be too late. I make it barely halfway towards her before she crosses the small river with ease, the Hunters all cheering her on as she crosses.

My heart falls in my chest, and I glare at Jackson as Chiron galloped out of the woods, the two Stoll brothers draped haphazardly over his back. "The Hunters win!" He announced, the girls all shouting and yelling in victory. "For the fifty-sixth time in a row."

I grit my teeth, looking to where Jackson was cradling an arm and glaring daggers at Zoë. "Perseus Jackson!" I turn my head as Thalia stalks past me, a putrid smell coming off her clothing as she walks past, sparked darting across her armor.

I follow next to her with a matching glower, my anger rushing through me at an uncontrollable rate. With a flick of a hand, my sword became a Thyrsus, sending nearly every camper around us scrambling backwards.

"What in the name of the gods were you THINKING?" Thalia exclaimed, unchecked fury coating her tongue.

Jackson straightens, his blue eyes flashing. "I got the flag, Thalia!" He shakes the flag in front of us roughly. "I saw a chance and I took it!"

I take a step forward. "I was right there." I snap coldly, my anger flaring. "I was right there. If you had stayed put, we could've won!"

"You were taking too long! Zoë would have had the flag and taken out the whole camp by the time you grabbed the stupid thing!"

"I guess we'll never know because you always have to be the hero. You always have to be the one to win!" I felt the tension in the air rise, campers and hunters alike taking a wary step back as the end of my Thyrsus began to glow a deep purple hue.

Jackson rolled his eyes. "I wasn't being a hero, I was just trying to win!"

"Then you should have stayed at your post!" Thalia snapped back.

"Well if you had taken defense—"

"AGH!"

I blink in surprise as Thalia takes a step forward, pushing Jackson back with the palms of her hands. A jolt of electricity hits Jackson in the chest, sending him backwards into the cold river. Thalia instantly pales, holding up her hands.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to—" Whatever words she had been about to say were cut off by a roaring wave that erupted from the river, dousing both myself and Thalia with ice cold water.

I wipe the water from my face slowly, my raging and roaring inside, barely contained in the loose hold I had on it. "Yeah. I didn't mean to either." Jackson growled, his eyes darkening when he looked at us.

I clenched my jaw, flinging out my thyrsus. "That all you got barnacle boy?" I could feel my power singing in my blood, thrilled to finally be let out of its cage. All sense of feeling left my body—taken over by a wave of pure ecstasy. The thyrsus in my hand glowed a feint hue of purple, a large flame appearing on its end.

The heat from the flame dries me instantly, and I don't hesitate before flinging the flame forward, sending it hurtling towards Jackson. It barely misses his chest, his body hurtling out of the way as it catches his arm, his shirt singing from the heat.

"Danni! Enough!" Chiron shouted next to us, his eyes wide as he stared between us. Campers hovered behind the treeline, no one daring to come between us, and no one trying to intervene.

Jackson's eyes narrowed as he adjusted his stance, his eyes practically glowing with fury as he stared at me. I held my ground as the river behind him swelled above him, and I knew in a few seconds I was about to be drenched.

"Percy!" Chiron's voice was now a plead, but he had yet to get between us—had yet to even take a step towards either of us.

Jackson looked ready to hurl the river at us when he paused, his eyes growing wide as he let the water fall down behind him, his face going slack. I blink in surprise, turning my head to look where he now stared, the thyrsus in my hands going cold as ice.

The familiar husk of a shape was floating through the densely packed woods, surrounded in a thick veil of green mist. Campers gasped and jumped back when they saw it, and I stood paralyzed as it made its way through the trees.

"That's impossible..." Chiron's voice shook a fraction as he stared at the clad figure, taking a step back. "It...she has never left the attic. Never."

But whatever bounds had been keeping the oracle in the attic had clearly broken, as she floated into the center of the clearing, hovering an inch above the ground. No one breathed as we stared at the mummy—stared at the thing that has been living in the attic for who knows how long.

I flinched when I heard her oily voice break into my head, most of the campers doing the same.

I am the spirit of Delphi. Speaker of the prophecies of Phoebus Apollo, slayer of the mighty python. My whole body went stiff when the oracle turned towards me, my breath stalling in my throat.

Whatever anger that had lingered was gone now, replaced with a cold sense of fear. No. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear it. I had avoided that attic like the plague since arriving at camp—not wanting to risk hearing a prophecy about my inevitable demise.

But the oracle turned away—simply shifted her head to the side and turned towards Zoë. Approach, Seeker, and ask.

Zoë's face looked drained of blood as she attempted to straighten her back. "What must I do to help my goddess?"

The Oracle, in response, opened it's jaw, releasing a cloud of green mist that settled in front of her. Images flickered through the mist—faded pictures of a barren mountain with a girl wrapped in chains at its peak. The girl was no doubt Artemis, her face cringing in pain as she held up her hands in a pleading manner.

Five shall go west to the goddess in chains.

One shall be lost in the land without rain.

The bane of Olympus shows the trail,

Campers and Hunters combined prevail.

A childhood home, should assistance be found,

For the child of madness, who's fate is bound.

The Titan's curse must two withstand,

And one shall perish by a parent's hand.

The clearing was deadly silent as the green mist that had once surrounded the oracle was pulled inward, disappearing down the oracle's bone clad mouth. The oracle slouched down into a seated position as soon as the mist vanished, sitting on a lone rock as if she had never moved, and never again planned to.

For the child of madness, who's fate is bound...

Fuck that.

Annnnddd I'm back! Sorry for disappearing, it's been a busy few months, and I've had no time to sit down and write. But I hope you guys enjoyed either way, and hopefully I'll be more consistent from here on out! Loves to all, and be sure to vote/comment if you enjoyed! (8237 Words)

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

16.3K 501 12
"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐢𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫, 𝐢𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨...
19.2K 685 19
☞︎Sɪx sʜᴀʟʟ ɢᴏ ᴡᴇsᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴅᴅᴇss ɪɴ ᴄʜᴀɪɴs Oɴᴇ sʜᴀʟʟ ʙᴇ ʟᴏsᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀɴᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʀᴀɪɴ Tʜᴇ ʙᴀɴᴇ ᴏғ Oʟʏᴍᴘʏs sʜᴏᴡs ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴀɪʟ Cᴀᴍᴘᴇʀs ᴀɴᴅ Hᴜɴᴛᴇʀs ᴄᴏᴍʙɪ...
136K 4.5K 26
𝔇𝔯𝔬𝔭 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔐𝔢𝔢𝔱 𝔪𝔢 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔭𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔯𝔞𝔦𝔫 𝔎𝔦𝔰𝔰 𝔪𝔢 𝔬𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔴𝔞𝔩𝔨 𝔗𝔞𝔨𝔢 𝔞𝔴𝔞𝔶 �...
12.9K 508 20
☞︎ Yᴏᴜ sʜᴀʟʟ ᴅᴇʟᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅʟᴇss ᴍᴀᴢᴇ, Tʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏsᴛ ᴏɴᴇ ʀᴀɪsᴇ. Yᴏᴜ sʜᴀʟʟ ʀɪsᴇ ᴏʀ ғᴀʟʟ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ɢʜᴏsᴛ ᴋɪɴɢ's ʜᴀɴ...