Gaining Height - WARRIOR CATS

By Dusklights

Hawk was fine with her life as a fearsome rogue. She never wanted to save a life. She never expected to wake... More

Introduction
Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Author's Note
Exclusive Art and Trivia

Chapter 7

222 5 8
By Dusklights

Chapter 7

Hawk's heart raced in her chest as the clan cats began to move away. Apparently, they were going out hunting and patrolling boundaries. She watched in awe filled terror as three cats bunched their muscles and sprang up into a leap. Then, they threw up their wings, and wheeled away into the sky.

Even more strange, though, these weird winged cats all went out together in close groups. Hawk was always used to going hunting alone, so it was strange to see these winged cats all spending so much time together.

"Duskfang!" Hawk jumped as she saw the pale grey she-cat who had rebuked her at the gathering of cats suddenly bounded up to stand beside her. She faced Duskfang, hardly batting an eye at Hawk. "Are we going hunting?"

Duskfang glanced down at Hawk before eyeing Icepaw again. "No," he meowed at length. "You will help settle this cat in." When Icepaw opened her jaws to protest, Duskfang eyed her coldly. "Respect me," he growled. "The other apprentices also won't be training, so they will help. Show Hawk our ways."

Icepaw looked crestfallen as she eyed Duskfang, and Hawk felt a glimmer of pity for the young cat. Then, Icepaw whirled around to face Hawk through narrowed eyes. When Hawk saw her expression and fluffed up fur, all thoughts of pitying her vanished entirely.

Hawk watched as Duskfang leaped into the sky, and took off. Each stroke of the powerful feathered wings on his back led him farther and farther away from Hawk.

"Come with me, rogue," Icepaw meowed huffily.

Hawk opened her jaws to speak, but just when she did, Icepaw fanned her magnificent bright amber wings. Hawk choked as feathers surrounded her.

"Are you even coming?" Icepaw meowed. "Or are rogues as slow in the body as they are in the head?"

Hawk didn't react. She wouldn't give this entitled cat the pleasure of seeing her upset. After all, it had been funny to see the look of helpless fury when she'd politely responded to Dawnclaw's harsh remarks.

"Lead on," Hawk responded icily. "You shouldn't worry about me. After all, I've got plenty of scars, and you only get those from..." she let her voice trailed away when she saw a group of young cats, all with wings.

Icepaw bounded toward them, and began speaking to them in short whispers. While she was doing that, Hawk glanced around to see if there was any exit.

The camp was exposed to the open sky, but that was useless unless a cat had wings. The den wasn't enclosed, but Hawk got the keen feeling that Duskfang had left cats in the camp that were ordered to keep an eye on her.

Great. Now how will I talk to Adder? Hawk worried with each passing second what her mother was thinking. She shook her pelt, dislodging bits of snow in it. She couldn't worry about that right now. Looking down at the bandages wrapped around her paw and side, Hawk knew that these cats had helped her, perhaps even saved her.

"Seriously?!"

Hawk jumped when she heard Icepaw's sharp retort. She whirled around to face Icepaw and the circle of young cats that sat beside her. They were all still speaking in low-voiced murmurs, but Icepaw's voice was rising.

Taking the initiative, Hawk bounded right up to their little posse and opened her jaws to speak.

"Hey everyone."

All the cats jumped when they saw her, but none of them backed away. Clearly gaining strength from one another, they watched her warily. Hawk flicked her tail.

Icepaw was the first one to speak. "See," she meowed frostily. "The rogue's super rude. I don't think I should be the one sharing a nest with her."

You're the one that's super rude.

Hawk widened her eyes in surprise when another she-cat spoke up. She had seen this cat before, when she had nearly been captured and taken hostage.

"Let's at least be polite and share a bit about ourselves, Icepaw," the she-cat who Hawk remembered as Smokepaw meowed. She eyed the pale grey she-cat. "After all, surely you are good at polite discussions with potential allies, your mentor being deputy and all."

Icepaw let out a dramatic sigh as she glanced at Smokepaw. "I guess so," she meowed. Then she switched her keen gaze right back to Hawk. "We're FalconClan's apprentices," she announced with visible pride. "I'm Icepaw. I'm Duskfang's apprentice, and the best apprentice of all time."

Icepaw puffed out her chest, and fanned out her wings elegantly. She eyed Hawk with that same confidence that Duskfang had. Then, Hawkpaw glanced at Smokepaw as she opened her jaws.

"Firstly, you're not the best," Smokepaw retorted. "Anyways, I'm Smokepaw. I like surprises, voles, and these cats who I'd consider my friends. I despise rogues, and AquaClan and CometClan cats."

The next cat, a black tom, was about to open her jaws, but Hawk switched her gaze back to Smokepaw.

"What's AquaClan and CometClan?"

Icepaw let out a loud huff. "She knows nothing!" The she-cat sighed, letting out a huff of annoyance.

Smokepaw didn't meet Hawk's gaze when responding. Hawk wondered if it was because of how she had said she despised rogues. "They're our rival clans, Hawk," she explained. "CometClan cats can run extremely fast and are super agile. Some of them even leave trails of colour behind them, being so fast. They're all quite snappy and easily offended."

Smokepaw put her paw in the snow, and began drawing something. Hawk eyed it with interest. "That's the clan symbol," Smokepaw responded, still not meeting Hawk's gaze. She drew her paw back quickly when Hawk padded closer to eye the symbol.

"Then, there's AquaClan," Smokepaw went on. "A strange bunch. They all have fluorescent parts in their fur, can breathe underwater, and have a powerful build." Smokepaw let out a gusty sigh, showing Hawk the AquaClan symbol. "We've been at war for as long as any cat can remember."

"Interesting," Hawk muttered under her breath.

Now, the black tom turned to face her. He was the shortest out of all the cats, with bright green eyes and wings. There was a certain ferocity in the glare he gave Hawk that made her uneasy.

"I'm Coalpaw."

Smokepaw glanced at him. "Don't you want to say anything more," she muttered under her breath. "I managed to." Smokepaw turned to face Hawk. "Coal's my littermate, by the way. And if you harm a whisker on his pelt..."

A white tom pushed himself in front of Smokepaw, and brushed his tail over her face to silence her threat. He shot her an apologetic look when she glared at him.

Hawk narrowed her eyes curiously. He was the only cat that hadn't spoken yet. She tilted her head to one side. Was he also too furious about her existing to talk? Oddly enough, this cat was the only one who had a glimmer of kindness in his eyes.

"Can I?" Smokepaw turned to face the tom, and he nodded. "This is Snowpaw," Smokepaw meowed. "I know our names sound pretty close right now, but I'm sure we'll have totally unique warrior names!"

Snowpaw fanned out his wings and grinned at Hawk. He was easily the biggest cat out of the rest of them, and his white wings, which matched his pelt colour, were massive.

"Snowpaw can't speak," Smokepaw put in. "But that doesn't make him any weaker than the rest of us."

Snowpaw nodded to Hawk politely. His eyes shared as much emotion as if he were talking to her. I'm sorry, they seemed to say. He blinked at all his denmates kindly and turned to her. Again, his eyes told Hawk his thoughts. They're not usually like this. They're usually a really friendly bunch.

"Alright," Hawk meowed as she eyed the four young cats up and down.

Internally, she tried to remember as much as she could about each of the cats. Icepaw was the most confident and entitled out of the four of them, clearly feeling as though she was some sort of leader. Smokepaw seemed naturally friendly, but she was more loyal to her clan, and something was putting a wedge between her and being kind to Hawk.

Coalpaw seemed very analytical and clever, though he didn't speak very much. He looked as though he wanted to drive Hawk out, though. And Snowpaw seemed like a friendly cat who just wanted everyone to get along.

"How's everyone treating you, Hawk?"

Hawk whirled around when Dawnclaw spoke. The she-cat had somehow managed to sneak up on her, and was now eyeing Hawk through partially narrowed eyes.

"Fine, Dawnclaw."

Dawnclaw eyed her keenly. "I just came to make sure you hadn't broken the cobweb wraps I put on," she muttered at length. "Come to my den when the sun falls."

"Okay..."

Hawk turned away, but she felt Dawnclaw's eyes still on her. What do you want with me? It was clear that Dawnclaw was the main reason Hawk had gotten a spot in the clan, but she still didn't understand what angle Dawnclaw was playing at.

"I have a question," Hawk began.

Icepaw fluffed up her wings. "Yes?" She meowed. "Spit it out."

"Why do you guys have 'paw' at the end of your name?"

Icepaw let out a huff of laughter, and behind her, Smokepaw smirked in amusement. "You really know nothing, do you?" Icepaw chuckled. "Well, here's the rundown."

"Listen up, rogue."

Hawk whirled as Icepaw strutted around her from inside the den she would be sharing for the rest of the cats. The fresh wrappings and poultice Dawnclaw had applied to her wounds blazed as though she had run through fire.

For the entirety of the day, Hawk trailed the apprentices around camp, asking many questions, and frequently being ignored or belittled.

So far, Hawk had learned that each cat in FalconClan had a specific rank. The kits lived in a place called the nursery, and had a prefix their mothers gave them, and the suffix of 'kit.' Parents could live with their kits in the nursery. During this period, they taught the kits all the ways of the clan, and imposed strict training regiments the closer kits got to their apprenticeship.

At six months, kits were apprenticed and gained the 'paw' suffix. At this point, they also received an older cat to mentor them. On their first day of training, they went to the legendary Starlight Pool, and received the ability to fly with their previously useless wings. They also communicated with their ancestors, who sometimes revealed certain vague hints about their future.

Throughout training, apprentices were pushed to their maximum, and were expected to hunt and catch prey for the elders, the old cats of the clan, who didn't hunt any more. If an apprentice failed to measure up, they were often punished.

Once an apprentice was adequate enough to be a full member of the clan, they received their name. On the night of their ceremony, they had to fulfil a certain task by the leader, or else they would be shunned and receive a poor name.

Warriors hunted, fought and patrolled for their clan. Each one of their days was filled up with, keeping rival clans out of their land.

Warriors could be promoted to deputy, and then to leader. Leaders had three extra lives, in honour of the three clan founders. Each life was given to them by someone special to them that had died. Cats could also be Medicine Cats, healers and spiritual leaders.

Hawk knew there was much, much more, but that was all she could pry from the other cats. She didn't like how rigid and freedomless clan life seemed, but the idea of unity and friends was appealing to her. She wondered what Blaze would think of the clans if he learned about them.

She had had a private meeting with Talonstar, in which the old leader had explained to her some of their customs and the expectations there were with being in the clan.

"You must," he growled. "Be up to our standards. Many of my warriors are naturally sceptical of you, and to prove them wrong, you must fit in. No more rogue antics. You will follow Icepaw's example."

Now, Hawk was sitting inside what was apparently known as the apprentice's den, Icepaw circling her through narrowed eyes.

"Have you been listening to a word I've said?!" she spat. "Tail down, chest puffed, eyes narrowed. Listen, you'd better-"

"I'm trying my best!" Hawk snapped. Under her breath, she added, "Stout-breath."

Icepaw suddenly whirled around. Her eyes narrowed, and she unsheathed her claws. "What was that?" she meowed low in her voice. When Hawk didn't respond she spred her wings. "You just swore at me, little rogue, didn't you?" She shrieked. "How dare you?"

Before Hawk could react, Icepaw lunged at her. "Listen here, pompous worm-faced snail!" Hawk jumped away, but not before Icepaw managed to hook a claw into her wrapping on her forepaw.

"Back off!" Hawk snarled.

Icepaw gasped for air. "I knew you'd be a foul rogue deep down. Duskfang spent so much time eyeing you after you saved Specklekit, and he even managed to humiliate me in front of everyone!" She narrowed her eyes. "All because of a little rogue."

Hawk bared her fangs in a snarl. "I could care less what you think of me," she spat.

Icepaw leaped at her again, but this time Hawk was ready for her. The two she-cats whirled around in a hissing, rolling knot of fury.

Sudden cold blasted into Hawk's back, and she realised that she'd rolled out in the snow. Icepaw was trying to claw at Hawk, but Hawk knew tricks that the little arrogant she-cat didn't know.

Twisting suddenly, she jerked Icepaw into the air. The she-cat fell back several tail lengths, landing in the snow. Hawk heard some cat yowl, but all her attention was fixed on Icepaw.

In a leap, she landed on top of Icepaw. "I'll show you," she growled.

Sudden fear flashed into Icepaw's eyes when she realised that her efforts against Hawk were futile. Hawk raised one paw above Icepaw, ready to claw her exactly the way Adder had. It was the way all rogues proved their dominance over others, giving their rival scars others would always see.

Then, Icepaw suddenly whimpered through rattling breaths. "Mom, I'm sorry, I already know I'm a failure, but now I'll look like it too!"

Hawk suddenly hesitated, her unsheathed paw right above Icepaw's eye. The bright white of her claw gleamed in the fading sunlight. I can't do this to her.

Sudden realisation grew in Hawk's chest, along with a grim certainty that she'd never had before. She couldn't hurt this cat, even though it felt like the easiest thing to do.

Hawk's paw wavered in midair. She eyed it, then slowly unsheathed her claws.

Suddenly, a sharp blast of pain caught her in the belly. Icepaw had made one last desperate move to take her out, and it had worked.

Hawk flung through the air, and collapsed to the ground, breathing heavily. She didn't have time to see Icepaw's expression, because at exactly that moment, the sharp metallic scent of blood suddenly filled her nostrils.

Her eyes widened from where she lay as powerful wingbeats sprayed snow all around her. Three cats landed, two carrying the limp shape of a russet she-cat.

Duskfang was among them, and Talonstar was suddenly bolting towards the cats.

"What happened?!" He gasped.

"CometClan," Duskfang meowed. "They attacked us suddenly and relentlessly. Russetfall gave her own life, driving the last one of them away. She is dead."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 391 33
2023 EDIT: This was my first proper book on here, and is quite cringy and badly-written, so please don't judge all too much! ^^' ~ Now, many g...
119 10 12
A pet named Angel is abandoned on the street because her owners dont have enough money to bring her to the 'cutter', and she is left on the dangerous...
317 0 31
This is a SEQUEL, so I would advise you to read the first book before hand. If your lazy, then sorry, this will contain spoilers. Wolfpaw and Frostpa...
1.6K 141 35
⚠️Cover by @Dovesong_WC! Check her out!⚠️ "I stared at him; my mouth hung open. He wanted us dead!" Slimepaw is shunned, mistreated, tortured, and mo...