Act like my wife

By EstherAshar

Veronica is a sex worker. One night, she is sent to the home of The Ruthless Mafia boss, Don Patrizio. After... More

Locked
The client
Bella
Welcome to Cรณrdoba
Deal or no deal?
Author's note
Jealous client
Trouble in paradise
Don Patrizio
Author's note
Little Miss Perfect
The games we play
Miserable
The angel of death
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT๐Ÿ”Š๐Ÿ“ข
Sooner or later
If the walls could talk
Separation
Journey back home
Enemy Territory
Rose๐ŸŒน
Author's note. / To my beloved Readers
Big secrets
The heir
Felicia
The package
Quintus Cicero
๐Ÿ’Special Chapter๐Ÿ’–Meet the characters
I love you too โ™ฅ๏ธ
Our family
Kidnapped
Perfect
Questions
Quick update (A/N)
Buttons
Playing their game
Punching bag
Author's note:To my mom๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ•Š
The New Don
Sisters in Spain๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ
Blood and Betrayal
Father and son
Angelus
The devil stole my face
Meeting Her

Old tricks

1.2K 31 4
By EstherAshar

Patrizio's Point of View

"Cut the nonsense and tell me why you are both here?!"

Mia madre stared wide-eyed at me as if she cannot believe that I can speak such words. "My son, we are here to see you"

"What do you want? I won't ask again" I rest my back against the wall and observe my parents.

To maintain privacy, I brought them to my study and locked the door. They are both seated in the chairs opposite me.

Mio Padre's hair has gotten grayer than the last time we saw each other, which was before Mira's death. His harsh demeanor hasn't changed one bit. I wish I can say he is a great father, but I should not tell lies. Mia Madre on the other hand made growing up with my old man more bearable, although she had to put up with most of his bullshit.

Mia Madre exhaled audibly. She brought out her inhaler and took a few whiffs. I went to make sure she is okay, but she stopped me with a wave of her hand. She began to speak: "Mio figlio, I am sorry for coming without telling you, we are just worried about you."

I rolled my eyes. "Cut the lies, Madre."

Her expression changed from concern to mischief. "You devil, nothing gets past you, does it?"

I grimaced. "I am your son, aren't I?"

She chuckled. "Well, you remember Amelia, Abigail's Daughter?"

I thought back: "I'm not sure, why?"

She touched her hair, which was an old habit of hers whenever she had some big news. "Well, she is single, and I thought you'd like to see her"

I furrowed my brows. "She is in Córdoba?"

"Sí, Mio figlio. Come on, give it a chance"

I will never understand this woman I call mother.

I gaped at her incredulously. "Do I need to remind you that my wife is in this house?"

"Oh please, Patrizio, I know that woman is not Mira. You may fool everyone else but you cannot fool your mamma" She stood up and came to me. "Just be honest with me" She patted my back. Another old trick of hers.

"She is Mira" I stated matter-of-factly.

She pulled away. "That can't be true" Her thoughts became distant.

"Why?" I folded my arms on my chest and waited for her to speak.

"Because-" She paused. "I just don't feel the connection, you know?"

I clicked my tongue. "It's been a while, you know?"

She nodded and returned to her seat. Her countenance changed in the negative direction. Just as I was about to ask her what the problem was, I heard a scream from outside. Someone called my name. It was Veronica!

I ran outside and saw Giovanni on the ground, breathing with difficulty.

I was angry and may have said some hurtful things, but my son was all I could think of. I can't lose him.

Leo rushed us to the hospital and I carried Gio to Doctor Martinez, an old friend. He stabilized Gio and assured me that everything is fine.

I went to check up on my son, he was still unconscious. Seeing him on that hospital bed scared me. It reminded me of Mira's last day on earth. I can't lose my son, I cannot.

"Mio caro" I turned to the door and saw mia Madre. I hugged her. "Shh, he is fine now" She rubbed my back.

It dawned on me that I might have said some things to Veronica that might make my parents doubt her. So I sent my parents home and sent for Rosario and Maria. They arrived and met me at a secluded part of the hospital. I watched them like a hawk while they both kept their heads down. I didn't like this action, but no matter how many times I tell them to look me in the eyes, they never seem to listen.

"Rosario" I called.

"Sí, Jefe" She answered, finally looking at me.

"I will ask you just once... did you tell Veronica about Gio's condition as I ordered?"

She stood silent, then dropped her head down again. "I- I asked Maria to tell her."

"Why would you ask someone else?" I was getting madder by the second.

She fell to the floor. "Perdóname, jefe. Please forgive me... there was an emergency at home, so I had to leave. I told Maria to explain everything to Veronica for me"

"Get up, now"

She obeyed and wiped off her tears.

Now, my attention moved to Maria. She was sweating up a river and her nerves were a wreck. "Mari-"

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I forgot! I'm sorry" Her eyes were flooded with tears. But if there is anyone who can spot fake tears, that would be me. Her tears were not genuine.

"Stop apologizing. We will talk about this later, but now, let us take Gio home".

***

We arrived home at midnight. I had already informed Gio's school that he will take a few days' break.

We entered our house and I saw Veronica pacing up and down anxiously.

As soon as she saw Gio in my arms, she ran up to us. Gio happily jumped into her embrace and she kissed him so lovingly.

"I'm sorry, mijo" She apologized and continued to kiss him.

For the first time, I felt like a bystander with my son. She wasn't related to him by blood, but the way she cared for him made me wonder.

They sat at the dining table where a maid served Gio's food. Veronica fed him with her hands and he ate to his fill.

I stood in the corner of Gio's room and watched her tuck him into bed. Then, she ignored me and went downstairs. I followed her to the kitchen. "Veronica"

She glanced at me and continued buttering her toast.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, I thought Rosario told you." This time, I was the one with my head bowed low.

She turned to me. Those big brown eyes of hers carried fire that can burn me in a heartbeat. "If you think that I can put your son in harm's way despite knowing his condition, then you don't know me at all. I'm not like you, Don Patrizio, I have a heart." She walked out of the kitchen.

I grabbed a beer from the fridge, uncorked it, and took a swig out of it. I hope I don't get drunk on beer tonight.

I walked back into the now-empty living room and sat down.

I suddenly felt a presence and turned around to see who had been watching me.

"Padre"

I returned my attention to my beer while my father walked out of the shadow he had been hiding for God knows how long. The old bastard knows how much I hate the sound of his voice, and he has been doing a pretty good job of staying quiet.

He sat on the sofa adjacent to me and spoke in his thick voice: "This is why I call you a weakling, Patrizio. Your brother would never let a mere woman talk back at him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 169 23
Katerina Petrov, a 23 year old woman working in Miami at her coffee shop selling morning coffee and a little kick under the table to the local deale...
12.6M 336K 64
After losing her both parents Venessa Clay is left alone on her own. Despite her parents death Venessa learned to be happy and content with her norma...
13.1K 331 29
"Please don't break my heart...please" Amara Colombo a 22 year old girl whose both stubborn yet kind hearted. She's never needed a babysitter her ent...
4.7M 84.2K 41
THE CLUB OWNER AND HIS STRIPPER "Sir, this is inappropriate and I'm sure you're aware of that. You're my boss." His tall frame stood up and he slowly...