Not the End

By lovelspeth

Alternate storyline taking place during and post Avatar: The Way of Water. This follows a Na'vi girl, Safi, a... More

Introduction
1 - Battlefield
2 - Tsahik
3 - Family
4 - The Lab
5 - Time Flew
6 - Morning
7 - Hometree
8 - Breakfast
9 - Mother
10 - Healing
11 - Lesson
12- Dream Hunt
13 - Battlefield II
14 - Fight or Flight
15 - Moving On
16 - The Last Morning
18 - Landing
19 - First Night
20 - Ilu

17 - Flight

402 14 2
By lovelspeth

Before we knew it, all our belongings were on the ikran. I absentmindedly tie the shawl Kiri made me together in the front with some leather strips so it won't fly off during our flight. Once it is secure, I look around. Here we stand in an empty tent, which was once full of life and people. Now it is full of people, but there is no life left here. It has never been this quiet with the whole family in here before. It is weird, Jake is near one entrance holding a very sad, defeated Tuk, Neytiri has one hand on his shoulder, they are looking at each other, having a silent conversation. Kiri is looking around the room, walking slowly, hugging her shawl around her. Lo'ak is staring off into space, his face completely blank. Neteyam is next to me, watching his family the same way I am. Jake clears his throat to get everyone's attention.

"Alright, it's time to go." Jake's voice is quiet, melancholy. Neteyam grabs my hand, I lean my head on his shoulder and hold onto his arm with my other hand.

"Do we have to?" Tuk whimpers from Jakes arms. Kiri and I make eye contact, she sighs and wraps her shawl tighter around her. I try to shoot her a smile but she looks away.

"Tuk, it is our only option. We are doing this to keep the people safe, and our family." Neytiri says lightly, moving closer to Jake, she brushes her hand against Tuk's cheek, her raspy voice somehow still sounds sweet through all the sorrow.

"We're gonna be okay babygirl." Jake whispers to Tuk, she buries her face in his neck and he places his hand on the back of her head. 

"Everybody ready?" He asks, looking around the group. Neytiri nods and gives him a small smile before turning to take Kiri's hand, which she reluctantly takes. "Boys?" Jake says sternly, but it still sounds sad. 

"Yes, sir." Lo'ak says under his breath next to me, I look over at him, but he just stares at the ground. Neteyam squeezes my hand to get my attention, my eyes meet his and I nod.

"Ready." He replies with confidence, which wasn't there earlier this morning. I squeeze his hand back. 

>><<

My family hadn't crossed my mind yet this morning, I was too preoccupied observing the Sully's, but once we got to the ikran, I remembered where we were going. They were going to be at the ceremony. My brothers were going to find out. Eywa please don't let them disrupt this. Maybe if I stay behind everyone they won't notice me. But they'll see me when we fly off...

"Safi." Neteyam says gently, breaking me out of my own head. His hand is stretched out towards me, waiting for me to take it. I put my hand in his, climbing behind him on his ikran. He reaches back to grab my arms, wrapping them around him for me. 

"Sorry, I was in my head." I confess, shaking my head. 

"No, it's okay. Don't apologize." He reassures me kindly, rubbing his hand over my arms. This man really is too kind for this world. I sigh and rest my chin on his shoulder, the soft leather of his shawl is comforting. I haven't seen it on him before, he said his mother gave it to him, it belonged to her father Eytukan when he was young, the late Olo'ektan. He looks like a prince from one of those human picture books, fairytales I think they were called. In a way, he kind of is a prince.

 Neytiri yips and her ikran takes off, one after another, the five ikran all into formation. The ride to the soul tree is quiet, there are many others ahead and behind us in the air. No ablebodied clan member is going to miss this ceremony. 

It is all a blur. We stand off to the side at the base of the soul tree. Mo'at stands before Tarsem and Jake, transferring the Olo'ektan's traditional garb from Jake's shoulders to Tarsem's. Jake kneels, Tarsem raises his blade, letting out a shout as he brings it down to Jakes chest, causing the whole crowd to flinch, but only his fist comes in contact with Jake, until he lifts his arm again, making a small cut. Just like that, the transfer of power is complete. Jake Sully is no longer Olo'ektan, Tarsem is now the leader of the Omaticaya. 

Jake steps down, as he walks the crowd parts, full of tears and wails, I can't bring myself to look at anyone. Neytiri cries, following behind him holding Tuk's hand, Kiri behind them. Neteyam walks next to me, my hand in his, I hear Lo'ak close behind us. We enter the sea that is our clan, on our path to disappear.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, I instinctively look to see the body it connects to, only to find my sister's eyes staring back at me, next to her is Lono. His expression is serious, but not angry, just sad. He places his hand on my head momentarily, Kata's hand slides down my arm as I reach out to her, but their touch slips away from me as we continue through the crowd. I look between them, not bothering to look for Aada. I should have known Lono wouldn't judge me, he has only wanted what is best for me. I feel Neteyam turn to follow my gaze, but I can't look away from my brother and sister, we don't need words to say goodbye. But their faces fade into the crowd, and my vision blurs with tears. 

Lo'ak must have noticed, because he moves next to me, blocking my vision of the crowd behind me. It doesn't matter anymore, this is my family now. Kata, Lono and the rest of them are in the past for now. Our eyes meet, he puts his hand on my shoulder before looking to Neteyam, I move my gaze forward.  We reach the end of the crowd, mounting our ikran for the last time. 

>><<

I don't think any of our eyes left the crowd until it was out of sight. We flew over the forest, looking around, taking it in for the last time. The air feels heavy with cold sadness and pain. 

It's mostly silent in the air. Jake, Kiri and Lo'ak each ride their own ikran, while Tuk rides with Neytiri. Although I was sad I never got a chance to get my own ikran, but in a way I am grateful that I am able to be with Neteyam during this journey. Maybe it's for the best.

We reach the edge of the forest, I doubt any of us have ever been this far out before. As we fly over the sea, I look back at the forest. We are leaving everything we know behind, everything but each other and whatever we managed to pack. I do my best not to cry, but I make the mistake of looking around at everyone else. Neytiri, Tuk and Kiri are all crying, Jake looks on the verge. I can't see Lo'ak's face, but I think it will take more than this to make him show that kind of emotion. 

A tear slips from my eye when I glance back to see the forest even further away. I turn my head towards Neteyam, he is still looking back, a small frown on his face. I follow his gaze, we watch our home fade away until it completely blurs into the distance. I readjust my arms around him and give him a small squeeze, he places his hand over my arms.

>><<

After a long period of quiet flying, I put my hand up on Neteyam's shoulder. "How are you?" I ask, trying not to sound sad. He moves one of his hands from the saddle back onto to my arm that is still around his waist. He takes a deep breath and rubs his warm fingers along my arm that is cold from the wind.

"I am glad you are here with me." He replies, somewhat avoiding my question, he is trying to hide his sadness too. I kiss his cheek and lay my head on his shoulder. 

"I did not want to leave the forest, but I would much rather be here with you than home without you." I agreed, wrapping my other arm back around him and holding his hand. He leans his head against mine. I squeeze my eyes shut, wishing I could hold onto him like this forever. 

The air is salty and much cooler above the water, but the sun is still warm. I am grateful for the sun today. I peer over to Lo'ak who is next to us, he has his usual R.B.F, but when he sees me looking at him, his eyes lighten a bit. I send him a soft smile, "You okay?" I mouth at him, he nods back at me, giving me the smallest hint of a smile. Weirdly, he does seem fine. My gaze shifts to kiri, but I don't bother asking her, I know she isn't okay. Jake and Neytiri have been up front the whole day, so I haven't had much of a chance to gauge how they are doing. I know there is not much I can do to make anyone feel any better, but I can't help myself from trying.

>><<

I readjust how I am sitting, and rest my head on Teyam's other shoulder. He moves his hand to my leg behind him, gently rubbing it. It sends a now all too familiar shock through my body. It's funny how even after being around him so much, and holding onto him all day, his touch still has this huge affect on me. I feel my face warm, and I am glad he can't see it. 

"You know, I still cannot believe you are mine." I say softly, I feel him sigh. He turns his head to face me, a hint of a smirk on his lips. 

"I am not yours yet. We have not mated." He whispers in my ear. I lean back and scoff, seeing the little smirk on his face grow. 

"You are such a child!" I whisper back at him, rolling my eyes. I scoot back and lean against our belongings, so I am no longer touching him, I turn my head to face away from him, looking out at the sea. Our things are attached behind me, with just enough space for Neteyam and I to fit, I thank myself for putting places softer items right behind me for some padding. Neteyam turns his shoulders more to look at me, but I keep looking away.

"Safi, I am only joking." He says, reaching back to touch my leg. I slowly turn my head to look at his hand on my knee, then move my eyes up to meet his. He looks concerned, he must think I am actually upset, I giggle and touch his hand. 

"I know." He rolls his eyes and sighs. I feel a tiny smile making its way onto my face.

"You had me thinking I just blew it with you." He looks at me again, "Now please come back up here before you fall off." He pleads, pulling on my hand. 

"Yes, sir." I reply jokingly, moving closer to him.

"Ew, do not call me that." He says, grimacing.

"Sorry, sir." I respond smiling. "I mean, Neteyam." I say as I put my hands on his arms, slowly rubbing  up and down them. He laughs quietly, making my heart flutter. I am glad he is laughing, even if it is just for a moment. I kiss his shoulders before moving my hands to them. 

I look around, there are some dark clouds in the distance ahead of us, like a small storm. I look down at the water, thinking about all that could be down there, I have read that the ocean on Earth is impossibly deep, filled with enormous animals, bigger than even the largest land animals, I can only imagine what Pandora's ocean entails. The thought makes me shudder.

 My gaze shifts to Kiri. She is looking around too, I can wonder what she is thinking and feeling. She is leaving behind more than the rest of us, Spider and Grace, not to mention her connection with Eywa. Not that Eywa isn't everywhere, but I believe Kiri truly belongs in the forest, with the plants and animals. Maybe the sea will be good to her too.

"I feel so bad for Kiri." I mention as I touch Neteyam's braids.

"Because of Spider?" He asks softly. Checking that she isn't paying attention.

"Yes, and Grace too. But also, she already feels like such an outsider. I guess am just worried about her." I wrap my arms around him again, he touches them with one hand. "Lo'ak too, he has so much anger inside. I just want him to be happy." I look over at Lo'ak, he seems to be staring into space. Neteyam squeezes my hand.

"And what about you?" He asks, still looking back at me.

"What about me?" I reply, confused.

"You are so focused on everyone else." He explains softly, "And I love that about you, but are you okay?" He turns to me. I feel tears fighting to break loose, but I hold them back. 

"As long as I am with you I will be okay." I admit quietly. "Of course I am sad, but right now I feel okay."

He sighs and holds onto my arms. "Really I am fine." I say. He leans is head back onto my shoulder, closing his eyes for a moment. I rub his chest, wishing I could be the one flying so he could rest. "Can I sit in front of you?" I ask when he lifts his head back up, he nods. I climb in front of him, he holds onto me the whole time. He moves back a little before I sit down. He wraps his arm around my waist, like last time. "Now you can lean on me." I say smiling as I look at him. His eyes look tired. He kisses my shoulder as he settles in behind me.

We fly for a long time without talking, I try to focus on being close to Neteyam for such a long period of time. I don't want to think about why we are flying, or where we are going, or what we are leaving behind. 

I feel a drop of rain on my skin, look up, and see the storm clouds in front of us. "Damn." Neteyam says. I look back at him.

"Do you want me to move back behind you?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"No, I think you are safer in front." He replies, almost like it's an order.

"My mighty protector." I say sarcastically, looking at him again. He shakes his head and puts his arm around me, resting his chin on my shoulder. 

The storm beings heavy rain, but nothing we can't fly through. Neteyam keeps an arm wrapped tightly around me throughout the storm, which I find unnecessary, but I know it make him feel better so I don't say anything about it. The rain makes the ride a lot colder, but he keeps me warm enough. I feel for Kiri and Lo'ak, they must be so cold. The storm made it dark, even before eclipse, but the rain didn't stop until the sun came up in the morning. 

"I think we are out of the storm. We should be coming up on the reefs soon." Jake announces over comms, I feel Neteyam sigh behind me. It's a relief to be done traveling soon, and to get some rest, but it also meant that we've really left. 

"What are you thinking about?" I turn and ask Neteyam, holding onto his arm. He looks concerned, almost angry. 

"I do not know, just worrying." He replies under his breath, I believe him, it's a lot to handle. I lean my head on his arm, looking out at the sea. It is turning a lighter shade of blue, almost teal, the water is getting shallower. I squint to look into the distance, I can see some rocks peeking above the water in the horizon, that must be the reef.

>><<

AN: Three chapters in one day? Who am I?!

Back to homework :/

Please leave a comment if you enjoyed, or if you have anything you want to see. I really like hearing from you guys. 

If you feel so inclined you could also leave a good ol' vote. 

Thx for readin! 

Love ya <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

292K 9K 19
You are a daughter of the Metkayina tribe led by your saʼnok and sempul (Ronal and Tonowari) as Tsahìk and Olo'eyktan. You were also cursed with an a...
70.1K 1.7K 10
so this is just an idea I had in my head. I hope you enjoy, first time ever posting. This takes place during the "one year later" period in Awow. I a...
35.4K 1K 13
𝐌𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒, It was scary how far she would go to protect them. the lengths she would take to keep them safe. no matter the cost she kn...
80.8K 1.6K 32
What if neteyam wasn't the oldest of the sully siblings? What if he had an older sister? Always there to stop her siblings from getting in trouble wh...