New Beginning

By GeekOfManyForms

Unlike her twin sister, Elena, Elara Gilbert never quite fit in. Heck, how could she when this was at least t... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-five

436 13 4
By GeekOfManyForms

*A/N: I'm back! Hello, ya'll, I know it's been ages since I've updated, and for that I am sorry. I have been busy with life and a few fics I am co-writing with another author. Just know, I will never abandon Ellie. She is a part of me. This story is so close to being finished and I have decided to make the sequel. As long as you guys still want it and intend to read it, I will write on:) I hope you like this chapter! As always, please review; let me know what ya think.*

The female anchors' lips moved silently, her animated speech left unheard on the muted TV. Although, from the way her face was pinched into a well-practiced mask of sadness, I could easily tell that whatever story was unfolding, was one surely made of sorrow. I sat comfortably in the silence, just enjoying the moment of peace. I had always been the type of person who found comfort in the silence - and time to sort through every issue. I had created a safe space there where no one could touch me. If I ever had the opportunity to see a therapist, I was sure they would tell me that it was a response to trauma. Whatever it was, I was glad for it; the escape had saved me on more than one occasion.

My fingers tapped a nervous rhythm atop my crossed legs as I stared straight ahead, eyes glued to the screen. Elena was rushing around the kitchen, helping Aunt Jenna prepare dinner; I could already smell smoke. With my eyes burning from both my stare-off with the TV and the disaster in Hell's kitchen, I turned to look at Jeremy. He'd been stuck to my side like glue ever since I returned from Wickery Bridge; it was obvious he suspected something. I couldn't blame him, the sirens were a dead giveaway.

"Why don't you order a pizza? I doubt whatever they are cooking will be edible," I said and winced slightly at the monotone sound of my voice.

Jeremy's eyes narrowed, running over my face with uncertain intensity. I forced a smile, hoping that the weak upturn of my lips would do something to assuage his worry. It didn't work. "Sure, Elara. What do you want?"

My nose wrinkled and my stomach twisted into a solid knot at the mere thought of food. Thanks, anxiety! "Um, why don't you order the regular? Get two; just in case Alaric or the Lockwoods show up."

Jeremy rolled his brown eyes and sighed heavily. "Good idea. We wouldn't want your puppy to go hungry." I looked at him with a deadpan expression and simply waited for the backpedal. It didn't take long. "Look, it's not that I don't like Mason, it's just...he's like thirty! It's creepy the way he gawks at you. He hovers around like a freaking fly, Ellie!"

I looked up at the ceiling. "There is nothing going on. He simply feels indebted to me. I helped him and his pack a while back, that's not something their kind easily forget."

There was no way I could explain to him, or the rest of my family for that matter, that I was Mason's Alpha. There simply wasn't any chance he could understand the characteristics of werewolf culture; I hardly understand them myself. Jeremy looked at me steadily before heaving himself off the couch. "Are you sure he knows there's no hope...there?" he asked, striking a line between me and the thin air.

The couch jostled, creaking beneath a sudden onset of pressure as a shadow appeared over my left shoulder. "Who's hopeless? Oh please tell me it's Salvatore!" Enzo exclaimed, elbows balanced on the back of the couch.

Jeremy looked down at the bubbly vampire and blinked slowly, then he turned to me with an unamused expression. "Yeah...him too." Enzo grinned wickedly and Jeremy rolled his eyes before he turned to stare back down at me. "Where do you find these people? I think he and Caroline might have been separated at birth. They are both equally obnoxious."

Enzo scoffed, hand placed before his mouth in abject offense. "How dare you! I-Wait..." He stopped mid-sentence to look down at me, brow cocked. "Should I be offended?"

I giggled, reaching up to pat Enzo on the cheek. "Nah, Caroline is the best. You should feel honored to be considered a long-lost relative." I turned back to my brother, entirely peeved by this point. "Not cool, dude. Don't come at my people, and you know Caroline is off limits. And for the last time, not a single Lockwood is interested in me - stow your resentment." I said, brows furrowed with irritation.

Enzo smirked at Jeremy, who simply sighed, shaking his head. "I'm gonna order the pizza."

"Smart move, Jer. I can smell the char from here," I hastily changed the subject, I was not in the mood for further drama.

Enzo lifted his nose to the air and grimaced. "Ugh, what are they doing?"

As Jeremy headed outside to make the call, I stared ahead at the silent TV. "I think they are trying to ease me into the afterlife, via poisoned food."

The couch rocked backward as Enzo hopped over the back, deftly landing beside me with a grace I could never hope to possess. He took me in with irked eyes and his jaw was set tight. Elena had felt the need to fill him in on the particulars of my curse, against my wishes. She rationalized that it was necessary if he planned on spending an extended amount of time with us. It would also help him better understand our dealings with Esther. I could see her point, but that didn't make it easier to have yet another person staring at me with pity and fear.

"That wasn't funny, Angel."

I turned to face him fully, my head tilted in exasperation. "Enzo, it's my fate. If anyone can make inappropriate jokes about it, it's me."

He huffed, still flustered by the ease with which I could joke about my early demise. I quirked a sad smile and patted his shoulder reassuringly before I turned back to the muted news station. Enzo sat by my side and let his words be left unspoken. I appreciated the tact. At the moment, my life had been knocked off its axis; nothing felt right. Everything I had built both my life and sanity on was crumbling around me.

I know how ridiculous the notion is to be completely enveloped by someone, but after so many years of his presence in my life, I didn't know who I was without Niklaus. For centuries, that man alone owned my heart and was my constant beacon of sanity in an ever-chaotic world. During the periods when I remembered the entirety of my life, he was the only person who was able to pull me out of the darkness and away from death's clutches. He was...my everything. No matter what happened in my life, I could always count on the fact that he was out there somewhere, and that someday, we would find each other again.

He was pulling away from me now, and it terrified me to my core. The idea that he would choose Esther over me caused a deep pang of despair in my chest. Our family could now be all together, and the moment I thought would bring nothing but joy left me with heart-wrenching anxiety instead. A new thought swirled into the forefront of my mind, one I had been keeping at bay - what if they all chose Esther?

Fear sparked an adrenaline rush and I felt my chest rock with the sudden rapid intake of air. Enzo must have felt my panic because he simply reached out and took hold of my hand, pressing it into his chest. I could feel the steady beating of his heart and used it to center myself, closing my eyes and breathing slowly. Regardless of what they decided, I was not alone. I had family and faithful friends. I would be okay. The front door slammed open, colliding with the wall, and Jeremy stumbled in. Enzo and I turned to greet the sound of his awkward steps, and I was on my feet in a nanosecond when assaulted by his wide brown eyes. Without question, I came to stand in front of him and placed my hands on his shoulders.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" I asked.

Without speaking, he turned to look at the front porch, shock plastered on his face. I followed his gaze and my spine tingled with anxious delight. The mixture of excitement and nervous energy ignited a warmth that radiated across my skin. On quaking knees, I walked over to the front door and placed a hand on the frame. I studied our unexpected guest with blossoming eyes.

"Hello, darling."

Kol stood directly in front of the barrier that barred entrance into our home. He wore a mischievous smile and it warmed the usual cold plains of his face. His clothes were ragged and a hundred years past their prime - a hole in the center of his shirt marked where the dagger had placed him in enchanted sleep. I grimaced at the pallor appearance of his skin; he sported dark purple craters under his eyes - the blood bags that had been left behind for them must not have been enough. I could hear Elena and Aunt Jenna's hesitant footsteps and watched as Kol's eyes rose to greet them.

His lips twitched into a brief snarl. "I see he has you keeping an eye on his prize," he said, shaking his head in disgust. "Since when are you okay with being the help?"

I lowered my head, grinding my teeth in annoyance. He could be a right-ass when he wanted to. "Kol, as I said in my letter, we have much to discuss. Elena is not a prize and I am not watching her for Niklaus. If you agree to behave, I will let you in."

Kol squinted at me questioningly and crossed his arms over his chest, further ripping the hole in his shirt. Slowly his head lowered, and he glared down at the offending material. His lips were pursed and the malice he felt was showcased in the pinched expression on his face.

I could feel Enzo's presence at my back as he took a hesitant step closer, and held my hand out behind me to stop him. The moment he moved, Kol's posture had changed from merely stiff to tightly wound and prepared to pounce. His knees were bent and his shoulders lowered as he followed Enzo's every move. Kol's narrowed gaze of warning remained on Enzo until Jeremy caught his attention. My sweet penitent brother took a step in front of me. He was on tenterhooks after Kol had reacted to Enzo simply approaching.

This only further agitated the Original and he turned his focus on Jeremy with a cruel smile. Elena growled out a sigh of irritation and stepped in front of the overprotective shield of men. "Christ! Enough of this. I thought we were finished being herded around. That was the Salvatores forte." She pulled Jeremy away, tensely avoiding the perusal of the Mikaelson on the porch. "Calm down, Jer."

Jeremy stood guard behind me, his gaze still untrusting. "Do you really think this is a good idea, Ellie? Isn't two Originals with access to our home enough?"

Kol pressed against the barrier, his palms gripping the door frame forcefully. "Are you afraid, boy?" he asked, his brown eyes turning dark.

My skin began to crawl with disgust. Painful memories of hateful words and a broken-down boy flooded my mind. I shook my head like a wet dog in an attempt to flee from the past. I lifted my finger and moved close to the barrier. Kol released the door frame and watched me warily, his brown eyes no longer filled with hate but mild panic. I shoved my shaking index finger against the barrier, right in front of his face. I barely kept my body inside the house, ready to throttle Kol with more than words. My face was scrunched with anger.

"That's enough! How dare you emulate him, Kol! You are not your father."

Kol took a heavy step backward and lowered his head. He grimaced at the comparison but I could see the shimmer of guilt in his eyes; he was aware of what he had been doing. His face shifted from its former animalistic display of power to indignity. His entire body was slumped in regret and I felt my stomach sway. I had spent years waiting for the moment when we could see each other again and this was not how I wanted to spend it. Immediately, I left the safety of the house, bolting past the barrier and straight into the chest of my brother.

"Elara, no!" Jeremy shouted.

Kol caught me in his arms, surprise lifting his sorrow-etched features. He looked down at my face and a smile started to grow on his lips. "I'm sorry, Kolie! That was a low blow. I just hate when you guys mirror him. Maybe I'm a little overprotective too," I said.

He shook his head and nudged my chin, smiling meekly in understanding. He held me out in front of him. "I get it, but I still despise pet names." I rolled my eyes, perfectly aware of how much he hated my favorite nickname. He brushed the hair from my shoulders and his eyes rose to greet the four frightened faces now standing just outside the barrier. "You're forgiven, darling, but you should warn your...friends. Should I wish to abscond with you, I will. Lingering nearby like shadows won't make a bit of difference."

I could hear the humor in his voice but apparently, I was the only one. Elena rushed outside, fear rounding her eyes like saucers. "You will not take my sister anywhere!"

Kol's grip on my shoulders tightened as he pulled me against his chest. I felt like prey trapped in the coils of a snake. He chuckled darkly, his chest rocking against my back in the rhythms of the most dangerous melody. "Sister? No. Elandra already has a sister. She could never be tied to the Petrova line."

Elena stood perfectly still in the face of Kols' hateful words and terrifying anger, her cheeks turning a deep maroon. I could see her own anger building up steam and released a deep sigh. A Petrova against a Mikaelson was never a good thing.

"That's enough! We should go inside to speak."

My words were met with a taunting laugh, meant solely for Elena and the rest of my family. Kol had never learned to properly share. I blame Rebekah; she likes to spoil him. Aunt Jenna tried to reach out and take Elena's hand but she brushed her off, jerking away angrily.

"Aww, is the truth hard to hear, Mini Tatia? Did you think we would let you keep her, or that she would even want to stay once we woke?" Kol strode closer to Elena and bent down to her glowing face with a large smile. "All she sees when she looks at you is the woman who tried to take my brother. You will never escape your ancestors."

With an irritated huff, I kneed Kol squarely in the ass. He stumbled forward, only barely catching himself before he landed atop Elena and Aunt Jenna. "Alright! That's it, I've had it. Everyone inside; now!"

Elena grinned, her confidence returning at my lack of agreement. She stared down the powerful vampire without fear. "You heard our sister," she said, pointing toward the front door. "She would like to speak with you inside."

Elena ushered Aunt Jenna toward the porch, and Jeremy quickly followed. Enzo chose to stay at my side, eyeing the Original with obvious dislike. Kol sneered at him as he stepped closer to the threshold. "Are you gonna invite me inside, darling?"

I rolled my eyes and took his hand with an annoyed click of my tongue. "Of course I am. That was the whole point of my note." I started to pull him forward, "Do come inside, Kol."

He easily passed over the threshold, straightening his ragged jacket. Enzo watched him with worry, but I smiled reassuringly, motioning him toward the living room. I could tell he had more to say as stood at my side for a moment, anxiously watching Kol examine my childhood home before he left me behind with apprehension clear on his face.

Kol laughed, his eyes shining with mirth. "Does my brother know you have such an obedient lap dog?" I glared at his word choice, my discomfort plain in the way I shifted my weight from leg to leg. Kol snorted, shaking his head disbelievingly. "Much has changed. I'm surprised you're allowed playthings; I would have never imagined."

I let out a huff of exasperation and stamped my foot, an action only my siblings brought out of me, and crossed my arms while fixing him with a narrowed glance.

"He is not a plaything, Kol; he is a friend. Niklaus has no say in who I associate with."

Kol shrugged, turning to further examine the house, and smirked. "As you say, sister."

My teeth clashed as my jaw clenched in irritation, but I kept my mouth shut.

He turned, glancing at me curiously. "There were many things about your note that I found most confusing, dear one, but what bothered me the most-" he said as he started touring the house with a pondering gaze boarding on distaste.

He walked the entryway, examining the family portraits with intrigue. He paused in front of one, frozen in place for a moment before he picked it up - it was a picture of me at five years old on the shoulders of John Gilbert. "Is that you chose to ask for my help? Why is that? We both know that you were, and probably still are, closest with Elijah. So why come to me?"

He placed the picture back on the wall with a deep expression of loathing. I took a breath of preparation.

"You always did think too lowly of your place in our family, Kol. I have never favored one of you over the other. I might have had a bit more in common with Bekah, for obvious reasons, but I do not love her more than I do you."

Kol smirked doubtfully. "Oh, please, Ellie. You and I both know that if Hel stood in front of me and Niklaus, you would hand me over."

I smiled, shaking my head but before I could answer, a small voice erupted from the living room. I turned to see Elena with her arms crossed. "That's where you're wrong. You Originals all think you know Elara best because you once grew up with her, but that was over a thousand years ago; she has changed since then. You don't know this version of her, and it really shows. If Death ever stood in front of anyone she loves, she would gladly offer herself up." Elena looked down at her trembling hands and then back into the dark eyes of the vampire in front of her. "I would know; she did it for me."

Kol turned to me with unbound fury lighting up his eyes. "What does she mean?"

I held my hand out toward the couch where Aunt Jenna, Enzo, and Jeremy were all seated. "It's time I fill you in on all that you've missed. Please just...stay calm."

Kol stormed past Elena, his whole body rigid with emotion. "I will promise nothing until I hear your explanation."

He forcefully plopped down onto the armchair near the couch with enough pressure to nearly destroy it. Crap, do any of these vampires understand the price of furniture? I turned to Elena with a tired sigh. "Let's get this over with."

_________________________________________

Much as I had expected it to, the conversation quickly turned fervid. Kol was not happy to learn that I was now effectively not only a Gilbert but also forever tied to the Petrova line. It had taken a blast of pure energy to keep him from ripping Elena's head off. That put a bit of a setback in the relationship between him and my new family. Aunt Jenna was furious. It had taken both Enzo and myself to keep her from learning why Kol was barely beneath the Original Hybrid on the "Most Feared" list. In fact, I would be more afraid to be on my brother's bad side than Niklaus'. He is very creative; his torture techniques are legendary. To keep everyone calm, I took Kol upstairs; he smelled rather rank anyway.

"I cannot believe that you helped my brother break his curse..." Kol paused his rapid pacing in front of my bedroom door and his face twisted into a cynical grin. "No. No, that I can believe. But the fact that you nearly died so that he can fall on all fours and howl at the moon, is just ridiculous!" he spat, turning to me with wild eyes. "Do you not have any self-preservation?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, rolling my eyes at the simplification. I went through a hell of a lot to finally break the curse Esther placed on her son. "I did not help him so that he can howl whenever he pleases. I did what I did because no one should be trapped in a curse they never deserved."

Kol's fingers rushed through his hair maniacally and he growled in frustration. "Ugh! You have a point, but that does not mean you throw your own life away, Elandra! What will that accomplish?"

I shrugged, and my eyes traveled the length of his body. His dark hair was matted and shaggy and his clothes were beyond redemption. "Nothing, it accomplishes nothing. I understand that now, believe me. But, it's hard to care about your own life when it all feels so temporary. I went a long time thinking I should jump in front of a bullet for those who had a chance at real life, because what did mine matter in the end?"

Kol's glare intensified, and for a brief moment, I imagined I could feel the heat of it all the way to my toes. "You matter a great deal, Ellie. You weren't there to see just how much you were missed throughout the centuries."

My body slumped at the reminder of all the pain my loss subjects, but instead of drowning in guilt, I released it. "I know, Kol. I let go of all those negative thoughts when I woke up after the ritual. I learned my lesson. I'd rather fight now than bow down to a curse that should never have been mine. But, that doesn't mean I will ever stop fighting for the people I love, even if they've stopped fighting for me, " I said, lowering my head.

He scoffed as if offended by the obvious care I still held for him and his siblings. "I don't know what my brothers were thinking, calling our mother back from the other side, but I can promise that I will get to the bottom of it."

I shuffled uneasily, fear curdling my stomach. "She's your mother, Kol, I would understand if you decided to reconnect..."

Kol shot towards me at the same remarkable speed that always took my breath away. He stood directly in front of me, his unforgiving gaze sealed on my face. His hands came up to tightly grip my shoulders. "She was never a real mother, Elandra, but you-you were a real sister. I have loved you for over a thousand years, and a single mistake created by the idiocy of my brothers will not change that."

He released one of my shoulders and put his curled forefinger under my chin, lifting it up so that I could meet his soft eyes. "I don't know what Klaus is planning, but what I do know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is that he loves you. Our mother will never change that. It is why you are cursed, to begin with. Do not let her break you now, darling."

Tears fell down my face in trails of the many centuries of doubt and pain. Kol wiped them all away in one deft motion. When my breathing slowed, he pulled away and glanced around the room. "This is all yours?"

I released a shuddering breath and lifted my hands, waving them around the small room. "Yeppers. This is my kingdom."

Kol wrinkled his nose, grimacing. "Ugh, please don't tell me that I've been asleep for so long that the English language has become twisted and childlike," he said, walking over to my vanity and picking up my perfume bottle with interest.

"Oh sweety, you'd be surprised how much has changed. We have a lot to go over."

Kol squeezed the bulb at the end of my perfume bottle and a spritz of the fragrance wafted in his face. He reared back, blinking in surprise, a cough of alarm building in his throat. He waved his hand in front of his face and gagged. "What the hell was that?"

I giggled, walking toward him to remove the bottle from his hand. I placed it back on my vanity and shook my head. "That was perfume. Maybe you should just sit down. We can discuss some of the biggest things that you've missed while I take care of your hair," I said, pointing to the small pink stool next to him.

With a cocked brow, he lowered down onto the stool. "Why is this room so...colorful? You never used to love such sickening colors before. Pink and purple, Elandra, really?" he asked as I searched for my shears.

I had taken to trimming Elena's hair when she refused to leave the house after our mom died. I had already been a pretty proficient stylist beforehand. Salons only became popular in the 50s, after all - a girl with wild curls had to learn on her own in the olden days.

"It's a twin thing." I shrugged, pulling the shears from inside my vanity cabinet. Kol watched me curiously. "Our mother decorated both our rooms at the same time, which meant we had very similar designs. She did it first when we were five, then when we hit fifteen. We were stuck with it from then on." I started pulling his hair between my fingers, clipping here and there. "I think she enjoyed how girly Elena was, and I was already different enough, so I never complained."

He watched my face in the mirror's reflection, and I caught his eye with a smile. "It's okay...really. I made it my own in other ways." I lifted the shears toward the fluffy window seat beside the balcony. "See that? That is where I used to sit and read all of my favorite books. I would dream of this far-off world where I was loved beyond measure by a huge wild family." I smiled widely and Kol's eyes shined with love. I continued to clip his hair and ran a comb through the freshly trimmed bits to ensure it was all even. I pointed the comb over my left shoulder and caught his intense gaze in the mirror. "That is my closet, where I have taken to hiding all of my darkest secrets since I regained my memories. So, see, this room is not just a pink pit of hell, it's also a sanctuary," I said, placing the shears onto the vanity.

I took a step back and waved a glowing finger at the floor. The hair disappeared in a swirl of blue energy. "What do you think?"

Kol ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling it up to an almost expert beheaded level. He smirked at his reflection and turned to me. "Well, I certainly won't have any trouble getting a woman to join me in bed tonight."

My nose wrinkled with disgust and I lifted my hands in the air. "No! We are not discussing your sex life. I would rather jump off my balcony and attempt to fly."

"You can't blame a man, Ellie. A century of abstinence! That's utterly painful." He glanced down at his clothes and picked at his shirt, releasing it with a scrunched-up face. "Okay, well maybe I will need a change of clothes before I approach the ladies again."

I shook my head with amusement and clicked my tongue in thought, eyeing his tall frame. I snapped my fingers, an idea sparking to life in my mind. I headed toward the door and gently pulled it open. Enzo was standing just outside, leaning against the wall with his foot propped up behind him. He stood tall in a flash, his brown eyes widening in worry. "What's wrong, Elara? Do you need help?"

Kol poked his head out behind me, looking over my shoulder curiously. "He couldn't hear us?"

I turned to look at the side of his face, shaking my head in the negative. "Nope. I have a sound barrier around my room - privacy and all that."

Kol grinned mischievously, his brows wiggling. "How naughty! What do you get up to in here, darling?"

Enzo scowled and lowered his head as he waited. I smacked Kol in the stomach and turned back to what I was doing. Glancing down the hall, I cleared my throat. "Hey, Jer! Can I borrow a change of clothes, shoes, and a jacket?" I hollered.

I looked at Enzo with a grateful smile. "Thank you for being so protective, but really, there is no need. I'm okay."

Enzo put a hand in the back pocket of his jeans. "You saved me, Angel. I'm not going anywhere."

I felt a wave of gratitude and that age-old possessiveness that always accompanied the love I felt for those I considered mine. Enzo was officially someone I cared deeply for.

"Thanks, Enzo."

Jeremy hurried down the hall, his gaze darting from me to Enzo, and then over my shoulder to a smirking Kol. He rolled his eyes as he turned and headed into his room. It was only a few minutes later when he returned with a faded gray hoodie, baggy jeans, socks, beat-up Adidas, and some boxers.

"Thanks, Jer! Seriously."

I handed the clothes to Kol and pointed toward the bathroom. "If you need help, just holler," I said mischievously.

He glared at me with slightly pinkened cheeks and headed inside.

Jeremy motioned over his shoulder and sighed in acceptance. "Pizza's here. Let's eat."

I grinned in thanks and took hold of Enzo's wrist. "Finally. I'm starving."

Kol enjoyed his first pizza with ardent joy, much to the amusement of both Elena and myself. Having been introduced to three Originals at this point, it was easy for her to look past his behavior. After all, Kol's overreaction was mild at best. Elijah had chopped someone's head off while Niklaus had almost killed me, Kol was looking relatively sane at the moment.

Aunt Jenna on the other hand was not going to forgive so easily. She was avidly watching him with her chest puffed out like an angry mama bear. Kol was entertained by her maternal antics and tried to poke the bear with taunts and ridicule. It was not fun for me to stand between the two. My heart ached for the oblivious man. He didn't understand why she was so angry because Esther had never protected her children in such a way. It was just one more reason to despise the woman.

I watched from my place on the couch as Elena all but forced Jeremy to introduce Kol to his first video game. It was an obvious peace offering - she hoped to bridge the gap, not only between her and the Original but the entire family. It was easy to see that she hoped Jeremy would open his heart and mind a little more.

At first, Kol approached their offer with distrustful eyes and disinterest. He sat down in front of me with his back against the couch, waving his hand out in front of him like the Lord he once was. Elena simply huffed at his impertinence and sat down beside Jeremy. She side-eyed the Original as she pressed play on the controller and began to pick through the glamorous cars on the screen.

I smiled behind my hand as Kols' expression changed, intrigue taking over. It wasn't long before he ripped the controller from Elena's hand.

"It's always the same with you Patrovas, you never share."

Elena snorted under her breath as she stood to her feet and backed away, giving up her seat next to Jeremy. He seemed annoyed that Kol was now his gaming partner but smartly kept his mouth shut as the vampire sat down. Kol began to enthusiastically play the racing game with wide eyes and a bright smile. I looked up at my sister with a full and thankful heart. I didn't have to use words to let her know how grateful I was.

Aunt Jenna patted my thigh with a long-suffering sigh, "I'm going to make some popcorn - I'm still hungry. Would you like anything?"

Enzo leaned forward with interest, "Popcorn? I could demolish some popcorn."

I laughed, pushing him back against the couch, and looked at Aunt Jenna exasperatedly. "I'm fine but it looks like Enzo is suffering from starvation, so I'd make extra."

Enzo threw up his hands, "Hey! It's not my fault the pizza was mostly airy dough. I'm a growing boy, I need sustenance."

Elena sniggered and turned away from the video game to grin at Enzo. "You ate an entire pizza all on your own! Kol just about murdered you for the last slice."

Kol looked up from his controller with narrowed eyes. "You're a right pig, mate."

Enzo gasped in outrage at the ridicule and turned to me with despair. "Angel! You must fight for my honor."

I patted his cheek with downturned lips. "You poor thing! Are they picking on you?" I turned to the others and pointed a shaking finger at them. "That's enough! Enzo is on a special diet. Those pizzas kept him from eating all of you. You guys should be grateful that he nearly ate us outta house and home."

Enzo smiled, satisfied that I was standing up for him. Then Jeremy began to laugh, and his eyebrows scrunched together in thought before turning to be with a sharp inhale of betrayal. "Whose side are you on?"

Aunt Jenna stood with an expression of warmth and headed toward the kitchen. "Don't worry, Zo, I'll make enough popcorn."

Enzo stuck out his tongue behind Aunt Jenna's back. I rolled my eyes and started snickering at his dopey smile. "Aww, Auntie Jenna is taking care of her sweet Zo."

Enzo shoved me away as he stood, his nose wrinkled. "I think I will help, Jenna."

I giggled as he left for the kitchen and sat back to enjoy the video game.

"What is popcorn?" Kol asked, glancing at Jeremy curiously.

Elena plopped down on the couch beside me with a self-satisfied air of enthusiasm. Oh, how I loved her optimism.

When Jeremy had beaten Kol one too many times, and I could see frustration setting in, I finally approached and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I think we've put off our visit with your siblings for long enough," I said.

Kol looked up at me knowingly, his warm brown eyes hardening. "Are you sure that you're ready?"

I swallowed doubt setting in. Kol simply placed his hand atop mine. The warmth and weight of his presence were enough to settle me. "I'm as ready as I can be."

Kol sat down the controller and stood, joining me at my side. Without a moment of hesitation, I waved my hand out beside me - putting up a sound barrier between the living room and the kitchen. Enzo could not join me this time, it wasn't safe. Kol placed a hand on my lower back as I turned to Elena. "Listen, I will be back soon. You stay here with Aunt Jenna, make sure that she stays outta trouble."

Elena was on her feet in a second. At that moment, the expression she wore was so reminiscent of our mother, that I felt a sharp pang in my chest. "No, absolutely not! She has Enzo, and Jeremy is here. He can call Caroline if he needs to. She doesn't need me."

I lifted my hands placatingly and tilted my head, staring her down. "Elena, love, you cannot come with me. I'd be risking your life bringing you into the manor with two freshly woken Originals. I don't know how they are going to react to you, I'm sorry."

Elena waved her hands at me, making an arch, and huffed. "Are you not a witch? You can keep me relatively safe. There are only two of them!"

My hands stiffened into claws as I fought my anger and the spark of fear that ignited at the thought of taking Elena to the manor. "Yes there are only two, and a fucking all-powerful witch, whom I have no hope of battling while my sister is in danger. I cannot save all of you and fight her, I just can't. So please, stay here," I begged.

Kol wrapped his arm around me while glaring at Elena with malice. "She is staying, darling. There is no need to worry. Mother will do your family no harm."

Jeremy stepped up beside Elena and looked into her teary eyes. "Elena...we have to trust her. If she says you shouldn't go, then you need to stay."

Elena shuddered, the fight leaving her in a gasp of air. "You better come back!"

I shared a wet smile and nodded. Kol stepped forward, his brows furrowed. "You can rest assured, Elandra will be safe. We protect what is ours."

Elena scoffed, crossing her arms. "Says the dude who just hopped out of a coffin that his brother put him in."

Kol grinned, an appreciative spark in his eye. "Touche."

"I will be okay, Lena. I can protect myself. But I'd rather keep distractions to a minimum."

Elena pushed out of Jeremy's grip and crossed her arms. Her lips formed a cute little pout as she stared at me. "I don't know why I always have to become a distraction. I'm tired of being useless!"

Jeremy turned to me with an angry grimace and I felt a rush of guilt. I reached out and placed a hand on Elena's arm, running my palm up and down soothingly. "Lena, you are only a distraction because I love you. I would feel the same way if Jeremy tried to come. It's not such a terrible thing....and trust me when I say, having power isn't all it's cracked up to be," I said.

Kol clicked his tongue and smiled. "I think being powerful is pretty great."

Jeremy glowered, and his nose wrinkled. I slowly turned my head, glaring at Kol with exasperation.

Elena dropped her arms and moved away, huffing. "At least he's honest. I'm sick of being weak. But I can't exactly ask to become a vampire now can I?"

Jeremy paled considerably and turned to stare at Elena. I wasn't at all surprised by the sudden reveal of her new feelings on vampirism. Eventually, my sister would want to become a vampire, either because she fell in love with one(thank the Goddess it isn't Stefan) or because her fear of losing the people she loved to time or death would become too much to bear.

I remained focused on her as she continued to spiral, flailing her hands around widely. "Because the only thing special about me is my freaking blood."

Kol snorted, cutting off her rant, and waved his hand in front of his face. "Don't forget about your cursed face. The one that tears apart families."

Elena lifted a hand, her eyes wild. "Oh, yeah, there's that too."

I elbowed Kol and stepped directly in front of my sister. "Elena!" I firmly said, taking her by the shoulders. "You are not a burden, useless, or weak. You are Elena Gilbert of the Petrova bloodline. That might come with the burden of crazy ancestors, a mildly insane Hybrid, and cursed blood, but it also comes with strength beyond measure. Your ancestors were put through hell and back - and survived, as have you. Own it."

Elena shook beneath my touch and her glassy doe eyes twitched. Her hair floated around her face as the air left her mouth in short puffs. A moment later I was in her arms, her face buried in the crook of my neck. I could feel her heated breath along my skin and goosebumps rose in its wake. "Thank you. How do you always know what to say to me?"

"It's a twin thing. You always do the same for me, Lena. It's why we were placed together by the Goddess - she knew we needed one another."

Elena pulled away and glanced over my shoulder at Kol. "Bring her back."

Wrapping his arms around my waist, he pulled me away with a solemn nod.

Kol escorted me from the house and I guided him toward my car. His steps paused on the walkway and he timidly looked down at the heavy piece of machinery. Placing one hand in his back pocket, he slanted his posture and glanced up at me with a feigned sense of confidence.

"We're taking the steel horse? Are you sure that's wise?" he scoffed.

I giggled and pointed toward the passenger door. "Get in, Kol. I have this pony tamed."

Kol shot me a glare and fiddled with the door handle, his nose scrunched with concentration. Triumphantly, he grinned when the door finally opened. He slipped into the passenger seat with nervous brown eyes. I glanced back at the porch where Jeremy and Elena stood with tears pooling in their eyes. I pulled open my door and with one final wave, left my home for an uncertain future.

The drive to Lockwood manor was both entertaining and nerve-wracking. You'd think Kol's death grip on the dashboard and wide panicked eyes would be enough to take my mind off what awaited us, but it wasn't. My brain seemed to have enough space to find his horror at modern technology amusing while also freaking out about what was to come. Gotta love anxiety.

As we approached the appropriate turn-off, Kol's posture loosened and he turned to look at me. "There is no need to be so nervous, darling. It's practically leaking from you."

I rolled my eyes and huffed out a brief laugh. "Am I nervous, Kol? No. Terrified is a better word."

Kol sighed and his pitying gaze fell onto the long circular driveway. "You have no reason to be afraid. I said I will protect you, and I will. You're my sister, I would never let anything happen to you."

I smiled appreciatively. "Thanks. The feeling is mutual, brother."

I parked the car and stared up at the large menacing house. Kol placed his palm atop my hand, where I still held tightly onto the steering wheel. "Neither Elijah nor Niklaus were here when I left. I'm not sure they even know we've been awakened. The only people you'll be forced to see are Rebekah and Finn. You can handle that."

I exhaled, a long deep breath of relief. Kol was right, I could handle this. I glanced back up at the tall colonial mansion and shivered as protective magic seeped out of me searchingly, crawling along the stone and mortar. He was right, I could only feel the age-old presence of Rebekah and Finn. The dark sickly magic of Esther still clung to every inch of the house and property, but it was subdued. Something was off.

"I can feel your mother but not entirely. It's like she's been shielded. Do-Do you think it's a trap? I whispered."

Kol slipped out of the car and scanned the mansion thoughtfully before turning to me. "I think that they've done something to her. I don't think she's a threat at the moment."

I hopped out of the car and snickered under my breath, whatever they had done, I hoped it was painful. I headed toward the front door with my fingers buckled against my stomach. Kol was the first to enter and I stumbled behind, eyeing the empty entryway apprehensively. It was eerily quiet, none of Mrs. Lockwood's housekeepers were rushing about in oddly maintained chaos, which made the atmosphere all the creepier. There was an unnatural chill in the air as we went forward, our shoes clicking noisily against the polished floor.

We passed into the parlor and glanced around uneasily. Across the room, I spotted the crystal shine of the liquor cabinet and headed straight for it. A drink would certainly help my nerves. Kol stopped my progression with a single lift of his finger. I shot him a glare, my expression twisted into a pout - his lips curled with wicked amusement. He glanced around the empty room with raised hands.

"If you think you can hide from me you are wrong, Rebekah. If you remember, it is me who always wins."

A growl ripped through the air, and a stiff breeze nearly knocked me off my feet. I held out my hands to keep my balance and stared around the room with wide eyes. Kol bent forward, laughing joyfully as a lamp was launched at his head. "Foul play, Bekah! You're cheating now."

The breeze returned but a soft hand on my elbow held me upright. "As if you care about cheating! It was always four against two; how is that fair?"

Kol's eyes were shining with mirth as he stared at the person standing next to me. Despite knowing exactly what Rebekah looked like, I stood frozen, staring straight ahead.

"Don't blame us because we have better odds," Kol said, smirking.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Rebekah. She held her hands closed in tight fists at her side as she snarled obscenities under her breath. Her curls bounced as she took in her new environment with narrowed eyes. Quickly, she caught sight of the small end table on her right. Picking it up, she promptly threw it across the room. Kol dodged the attack, lowering his head with a roll of his eyes, and the antique table merely shattered against the wall behind him.

My shoulders slumped and I winced as I watched the pieces fall. Mrs. Lockwood will be pissed when she gets her right mind back. I sighed and finally turned to look at Rebekah. She was still wearing her white crystal embossed flapper dress and long pearl beads. Her wavy blonde curls were slightly pinned up behind her ears. My eyes fell to take in the tear in her dress where the dagger had been - it was, of course, gone. She was really standing next to me.

Her eyes were glassy as she looked at me with a watery smile. "You did it, Ellie. I'm here."

I reached out and touched her arm, it was warm and solid. With a gasp, I pulled her against me, hugging her fiercely. The hollow space in my chest, which I hadn't realized the extent of until now, finally healed at the sound of her voice.

"We never have to part again."

I sniffled as the force of her words hit my heart. I fought back the old need to wallow in darkness; I had made her a promise that I intend to keep.

"I-It can't be..."

I pulled away from Rebekah and turned to the new arrival. Finn was the only Mikaelson sibling with which I had never created a lasting bond - it never bothered me. He was known to be quiet and reserved around everyone; his loss was great - I had not known just how great until Elena. His face was warped with disbelief and he lowered his angular chin to stare down at me as I approached. He, like Rebekah, still wore the clothing he'd been daggered in - a tattered brown shirt, vest, and pants. His dark brown wavy hair was shoulder length and tangled.

He looked behind me anxiously at his two siblings, who had followed at my heels. With a tentative smile, I reached up and grasped a strand of his hair. "I miss this style. Do you think I could convince Niklaus to grow his hair out again?"

Kol chuckled and came around to stand at my side. "It's likely that you could convince him to do anything."

I rolled my eyes and stepped back, giving Finn a little space to breathe - his shoulders relaxed minutely. "Now you know that's now true, Kolie. Otherwise, I would have had him on our team back in the day," I said with a smile at Rebekah.

Crossing her arms, she knocked her hip against mine. "Now that would have made things easier; he plays dirty."

I grinned, my lips pulling over my teeth. I felt a rush of love as memories passed through my mind. "It's his wolf, he hates to lose."

Rebekah snorted and Finn turned to Kol, standing tall with an expectant firmness to his face. "How is this possible? Mother told us that she was burned for witchcraft. What has Niklaus done?"

Rebekah stiffened next to me and a deep growl started to grow in her throat - it was the promise of a coming disaster.

"Probably not the best time or place to be condemning Niklaus, brother," Kol said, his trickle of laughter doing little to dispel the heat in the air.

I placed a comforting hand on Rebekah's back and took a step forward to ease the growing tension. "Your mother was right, Finn. I did burn for being suspected of witchcraft, but Esther left out one small detail."

"She left out one massive detail, the fucking hag," Kol said.

Finn's head jerked toward Kol so aggressively that I winced in second-hand sympathy; his poor muscles. "Watch your mouth!" he spat.

Kol's face darkened, his skin tinting with veins. His lips curled in anger. "You forget yourself, brother. I bow to no one, especially someone who has been sleeping for nine hundred years. You're out of the loop, Finn; you know nothing."

Rebekah laid her head on Kol's shoulder and he jerked in surprise at the sudden display of affection. He stared down at her suspiciously but she simply rubbed his upper back comfortingly. I turned back to Finn, ignoring his sour expression.

"Finn, none of your siblings brought me back to life. Esther blamed the negative effects of the vampiric spell on me so that your father would have me killed - she knew I was still in a relationship with Niklaus. Before I died, she put a reincarnation curse on me."

Finn's brows pulled together and his face fell with sorrow but there was still a flicker of doubt hidden in the corners of his eyes. "I know this is hard for you to come to terms with. To you, Esther was a caring mother, but behind that facade, there was so much darkness, and many, many secrets. You can choose not to believe me, that's fine. I know someone who you might have an easier time believing."

Finn looked down at me curiously, but his distrust was plain for all to see. "And who might you think I would trust more than my own mother?"

Pulling my cell from my back pocket, I held it out between us. "This is called a cell phone. It's a device that can connect you to anyone in the world. I used it to contact Sage. She is currently waiting on a call from me at Mystic Motel. I can have her here in a few minutes...if you'd like."

Finn's expression changed from mistrust to hopeful exhilaration. It was like a light had turned on inside his soul. "Sage is alive?" he asked almost pleadingly.

Rebekah watched me closely, nervous energy radiating from her every pore. With a jolt of understanding, I realized she hadn't been around when I had Elena call on Sage. She wasn't sure I was telling the truth. I focused on Finn and kept the phone held out between us - I nodded.

"I can call her now, but if I were you, I would take a shower and change. It's been nine hundred years, Finn. You could use it," I said, smiling.

Finn looked down at his clothing in confusion, I chuckled, turning to Kol. "Help a brother out, Kol. Take him upstairs and show him the ropes."

Kol grinned widely and took a step closer, placing an arm around Finn's shoulder. Finn buckled under the weight, his brows scrunched together in surprise.

"Don't worry, brother. I've got this. Wait until you see the bathroom, you'll weep," Kol said melodramatically.

Rebekah watched them go curiously before turning to me. "What was that all about? Do you really know where Sage is?" she whispered.

I placed my hands on her shoulders. "Of course I do. I would never lie about something so serious. I will call her as soon as he's ready. It would be cruel to just throw her at him."

"Like the way you were forced to reunite with Niklaus?" Rebekah snorted.

Taking hold of her hand, I pulled her toward the stairs. "Niklaus is one of a kind, I doubt Finn would react so horribly."

Rebekah laughed and glanced upstairs longingly. "Are we going to the shower now?"

I threw out my hand, gesturing regally toward the upper floor. I giggled at her excited squeal. "I've wanted to try a loofah for years!"

I followed behind a bounding Rebekah with a fond smile and ignored the aching pressure of Esther's magic.

________________________________

It had taken Finn an hour to shower and get dressed, while Rebekah had taken a solid two before she deemed herself ready to venture out into the world. It had not helped that the only clothes available to her had been Mrs. Lockwood's - that had been a resounding no. I was forced to call the only person I could think of for help, Caroline. After a few minutes of intense pleading, she had been kind enough to go to my house and pick out a few things. After which, I demanded that she hand them over to the Lockwoods. The idea of Caroline and Rebekah meeting so soon almost sent me into cardiac arrest. Their attitudes were just too similar at times.

Now the manor not only housed one nine hundred-year-old vampire and three newly awakened Originals but two werewolves. Great!

Finn had taken Sage upstairs so that they could 'talk' in private, leaving me alone with both Kol and Rebekah. The Lockwoods had refused to leave after finding out that we were waiting for Niklaus and Elijah. Mason had a rather valid point, they had to meet Niklaus soon if they were ever to become Hybrids. Damn werewolves and their good arguments.

"You're Tyler Lockwood, right?" Rebekah asked, adjusting her new strapless floral dress.

Tyler turned to look at the blonde Original with surprise. "Uh yeah, that's me. Why?"

Rebekah's gaze darted to Tyler and back to me in quick succession and I shot her an artful glare. I mouthed a speedy, 'Be nice' and turned to Mason, who sat on the loveseat next to me and Tyler. Mason was pointedly watching the new conversation with his hands clenched into fists. I placed a hand atop his and calmly patted his wrist. He glanced up and watched as I inhaled deeply, running my other hand along my chest and back down as I exhaled. He rolled his eyes but unclenched his hands and took a steadying breath.

"What do you think is going to happen when my brother finds out what you did with his fiance?" Rebekah asked, sparkling eyes widening and her voice alight with mirthful malice.

Tyler's head jerked toward me and he paled with betrayal. I lifted my hands into the air and shook my head wildly. Kol looked between us with thoughtful eyes.

"You told his sister?! He is gonna kill me, Elara."

"No, absolutely not, because he will never find out. Right, Bekah?"

Rebekah crossed her legs and lifted a hand, staring down at her newly painted red nails. "I don't know. It's never smart to lie to Nik, Ellie. Besides, I could use some fun."

She looked up and grinned, a bright mischievous smile that changed her entire face. I glared at her half-heartedly and turned back to a nearly hyperventilating Tyler. Mason stood, his hands rushing through his hair, and looked down at me angrily.

"What are we going to do, Elara? You never once mentioned that Tyler's life might be in danger because of your past relationship. You're supposed to be the one that protects us!"

Kol held out his arm, glee lighting up his face as he pointed at Tyler with a belt of laughter. "You slept with Elandra! Oh, you are so dead dog."

I lowered my head, sighing deeply. Mason started to growl, his face turning fuchsia, and he lowered his shoulders, knees bent. Kol grinned wickedly, moving to stand and meet the wolf's obvious challenge. I felt anger build in my chest and I bolted to my feet, staring up at the werewolf with angered eyes. Mason immediately straightened and lowered his head. Tyler's breathing slowed to a more even pace and I held out one hand, pointing to the loveseat.

"Sit down, Mason. Rebekah is just being a brat. There will be no fighting today; no one will be killed."

Rebekah scoffed and I turned to her with an expectant tilt of my head. "Fine. Maybe I was, but they're werewolves - it's almost too easy."

"Let's not start with the werewolves are lesser crap, Beks."

Kol snorted and stood to his feet, heading toward the small bar on the other side of the room. "Not all of us are in bed with mutts, Ellie. Some of us can't abide the smell."

I narrowed my eyes, nails digging into the palms of my hands; Mason snarled. Kol turned to stare him down and I quickly held out a silencing hand. Kol watched with avid curiosity as Mason quieted immediately. He looked up at me with a knowing smirk, that I obviously avoided like the plague. Mason lowered down onto the sofa, his gaze still planted on the floor. I turned to Tyler and sighed.

"I never told Bekah about us, she just knows. It's hard to explain, and I would like to keep it to myself; for now."

Tyler scanned my face for any signs of lying and exhaled with relief when he finally found none. "Okay, but how can you promise neither of them will say anything? From what you have said about the Hybrid, he doesn't seem like the sharing type."

"Oh he's definitely not," Kol laughed, pouring himself a glass of Scotch.

Rebekah snorted in agreement, fiddling with the sterling silver heart necklace Caroline had chosen for her. I crossed my arms, grinding my teeth together with irritation.

"I was not his to be 'shared' at the time. We were separated by time and freaking space. What I did as a teen, should not, and will not matter. The only reason I would rather not speak of it right now is that we have bigger things to worry about," I said, my fisted hands grinding into my stomach uncomfortably.

"Well said, sister."

I closed my eyes in horror, lowering my head in embarrassment. I could hear rapid steps entering the room and slowly opened my eyes to find Elijah standing in the middle of the room. He stood in silence, simply staring down at both Kol and Rebekah with reverence. With a sharp intake of air, he stepped forward and pulled Rebekah onto her feet. He cradled her in his arms with his face buried in her hair.

"I wasn't sure I would ever see you again," he murmured. He looked around for a moment with a furrowed brow. "Where is Finn?"

Rebekah patted his shoulder. "Not to worry he's being well taken care of."

Elijah looked a bit worried but Rebekah hastily distracted him with another hug. "I have missed you, Elijah," she said.

Kol stood at the bar looking down at his glass, his eyes were filled with sad insecurity. I pushed away the pleading hands of the wolves beside me and quickly hopped onto my feet. I rushed to his side. Now that I was here, there would never be a moment where the Mikaelson siblings felt unloved. I placed my hands on his back and gently shoved him forward. He planted his feet on the ground, using his supernatural strength to anchor himself.

"You are not hiding in the shadows, Kol. Not anymore."

With a grunt, I felt my hands heat up and a warm blue glow encased Kol's lower back. He shivered and I felt his feet give way. Grinning, I ushered him toward Elijah. He looked at me over his shoulder, betrayal and fear crinkling the corners of his brown eyes. I smiled reassuringly and his hesitant gaze softened. When I finally had him next to his siblings, he reached back, taking my arm into the cradle of his own - he pulled me next to him. Elijah turned to Kol with a watery smile and pulled him into a one-armed hug.

"My brother, how I've missed your chaos," he said.

I could feel Kol shudder, and I leaned closer; he melted into my embrace.

"I-It's good to see you, Elijah."

As Kol and Elijah spoke in slow, quiet words, I could feel the hairs on my neck rise. Carefully, I peeked over the embrace in which I was nearly suffocated. In the doorway, stood Niklaus. His body was stiff and unyielding and his face was shadowed in fear. My gaze darted to the wolves on the love seat and I hastily wiggled free from Kol. Elijah looked down at my escape and took hold of my shoulder with grateful awe.

"You released our siblings?"

Rebekah smiled reassuringly as I wiggled my shoulder free and slowly backed away toward the sofa - hoping that I appeared casual. "Um, yes, it was me. Although I had help."

"Of course you did. Let me guess, my little doppelganger and her vampires," Niklaus asked, finally speaking.

Kol turned toward his brother and snarled his entire body stiffening. "Who cares who helped her remove the daggers, Klaus? It was something that should have been done centuries ago."

Niklaus's face shifted as his canines elongated - his skin darkened to reveal his other nature. "You very well know why you were put away, brother. But I'm sure you'd like revenge for the years lost. Is that not why you're still here?" he dangerously asked.

Kol laughed darkly and paced, like a lion trapped in a cage. "Of course, you wish to make me out to be the loose cannon. I bet you hope Elandra will put me back in my box. "

Rebekah tsked, shaking her head sadly. "No one wants that, Kol. We love you."

Kol scoffed and harshly waved his arm out in front of him. "No one ever cared for Finn or me. We were locked away as soon as Niklaus was able and simply forgotten."

My face fell and I barely spoke above a whisper. "I never forgot you..." I said.

Kol turned to look at me, his expression crushed. "But...you never came for me."

I felt tears swell in my eyes and I placed my hands on my chest. "Had I been able to, I would have."

Niklaus stomped closer. "Do not blame Elandra for your insecurities," he said.

Elijah sighed, lowering his head dejectedly. "Can we not move forward?"

The two bickering Originals chose to ignore the plea for peace. I closed my eyes against the entire scene.

"My...MY insecurities. Should we talk about your insecurities, brother? Are they not why we were all shoved in coffins?"

Elijah shrugged and looked at the furious Hybrid thoughtfully. "He does have a point, brother."

"Let's not match inadequacies, Kol," Niklaus said. "I doubt it will be me on the deep end."

Kol's face twisted and he leaned forward in preparation to launch at his brother.

Mason and Tyler jumped to their feet and stood directly in front of me. I rolled my eyes, placing a hand on my forehead. Lifting my hand, I waved my glowing fingers and they were lifted off their feet. As I twisted my wrist, they went flying behind me, landing on the other side of the room. I glanced at them with narrowed eyes. "Stay there!" I demanded.

Completely caught off guard by my actions, Niklus watched with fury-filled amber eyes. He held out his hand to pause the match with his brother. Kol scoffed and pointed his thumb at Niklaus, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Who are they?" he demanded, placing a hand on his hip. His nostrils flared as he inhaled sharply and his eyes widened in understanding. Niklaus' stance changed; he moved one leg behind him and his knees lowered.

I stepped directly in front of the Lockwoods and jerked my wrists, igniting my magic. "They are here with me, Nik; they are not a threat. I understand that you are angry but I made a vow to protect them, and it's one that I intend to keep."

Niklaus let loose a hateful laugh and he began to pace. "You choose to betray me and then replace me with two lesser models?" he snarled.

Rebekah giggled and shook her head while Elijah sighed, his gaze darting around the room at all of the problematic variables. Niklaus snarled at his sister, and her face swiftly changed - her vampiric mask taking over as she snarled back. I froze for a moment and she faltered, turning to me.

"W-What?"

I shook my head absently and shrugged. "Nothing. I just forgot how pretty you look when you go all 'grr'," I said, placing my two forefingers up by my mouth and making fake fangs.

She grinned madly, brushing her hair over one shoulder. Tyler snorted behind me, laughing under his breath and Niklaus's head darted toward the noise.

"Wait. I know you, don't I?" he asked, stepping closer.

I matched his steps but he ignored me in favor of staring down Tyler with fevered madness. I stood face to face with Niklaus. Elijah placed his hand on the shoulder of an overly nervous Kol.

"Yes, I do. You're the Lockwood boy. How's your mum?" he taunted.

Tyler's face turned red with rage. I just knew that he was going to do something stupid. I had to intervene. I looked up at Niklaus and swallowed roughly. "How's yours, Nik?"

Niklaus froze and panic replaced the spiteful smile that had painted his features. Slowly, he lowered his head to look down at me. "What did you say?"

My hands were trembling as I struggled to find the strength needed to continue the conversation. I watched the panic swirl in his eyes like a hurricane, and wondered not for the first time, what exactly had led him to resurrect Esther.

"Why did you awaken your mother, Nik?"

His throat bobbed and the muscles in his jaw ticked as he worked through an emotion that he refused to divulge. He looked at his siblings and an idea sparked to life on his face - he gasped, appalled by whatever his brain had concocted.

"Is that why you woke my siblings? Is this your little army against me?"

I rolled my eyes so hard that I felt a jab of pain in my skull. With a long sigh, I looked up at him, smacking his shoulder. "No, you idiot. I always planned to revive them, it was the right thing to do. But I did make my final decision after you made the stupid mistake to wake the devil. I figured I would need help."

Niklaus stepped back, scoffing. He looked at the Lockwoods. "What about your wolves?" he asked with extreme distaste. "Why would you bring them here?"

I crossed my arms, refusing to take my eyes off the mercurial hybrid. "They aren't 'my' wolves - they are my friends. I brought them to you, the fucking Original hybrid, for reasons I thought would be obvious. Can we stow the paranoia? We have things to discuss."

"Wouldn't that be nice," Rebekah mumbled.

Niklaus' upper lips turned up with disgust as he glared at the wolves, it was obvious that the idea of changing them into hybrids did not appeal to him. I would have to fix that. Before he could spiral into another paranoia-induced spiel, I placed my hand on his chest. He refused to meet my gaze, instead staring off into the distance. I felt my heart quiver in fear.

"Nik, why...why did you wake Esther?"

His heart raced beneath my palm and my fingers flexed against the soft fabric of his shirt. Elijah came up beside me and lowered his head, guilt transforming his face.

"She was the only option that we had left," he said.

Niklaus looked at him with indignation, his nose wrinkled and jaw tight. I looked between the two and understanding dawned on me in waves of horror. This was about me, of course, it was.

"No, you didn't. There is no way that you would even consider asking for her help, not after everything that she did," I said, shaking my head in denial.

"Nik, her way is never the right one," Rebekah begged.

Niklaus shook his head violently and placed his hands on my cheeks, holding me still. "She was your last hope. I have tried everything else."

My stomach dropped to the floor at the sincerity in his blue eyes. He wasn't lying. His thumbs rubbed along my cheekbones and he smiled weakly. "Don't panic, love; she gave me the answer. You will live," he quietly said.

I could hear Rebekah sniffling and somewhere in my mind an alarm bell went off, but joy muted it. The breath left my lungs as I waited for the one answer that I have been longing for. The grip on my face tightened for a moment and the panic in his eyes ignited to a degree that I had never seen before. He pulled me close, capturing my lips in a breathtaking kiss. Everything from moments before vanished as his fingers rushed through my hair, almost pulling the thoughts from my mind. His lips molded with mine; he took the air from my lungs. I pulled away after a few minutes, gasping for breath.

"Gross," Kol said, scrunching up his face.

"Shut up," Rebekah answered.

I laughed, placing my hands on my heated cheeks. My brain jolted back to life and I looked up at Niklaus expectantly.

His eyes were a mixture of blue and amber and I smiled at the sight, but my smile faltered as he started to back away.

"Nik?"

"I need more time," he said, his tone boarding on a plea.

Without question, I nodded. I could give him that; I still had a month. My trust in Esther was nonexistent but I trusted Niklaus with my life. He probably needed to ensure that she wasn't lying - I understood that.

"Okay. No pressure," I weakly said.

Niklaus looked around the room frantically. When his eyes landed on the Lockwoods, his shoulders drooped in relief. "You would like your wolves to be Hybrids?"

I was surprised by the sudden change of topic but stepped forward. "If that's what they still want, yes. Actually, I have a pack that is interested in meeting with you at some point."

Niklaus's brow rose in shock, and he grinned, chuckling. "Of course you do."

He turned to the Lockwoods and raised a finger, wiggling it as an indication that they should come forward. They didn't move. Instead, Mason looked at me, his face lined with nerves. I stood tall, straightening my back assertively, and waved them both forward. Mason looked at Tyler and nodded - they both joined us. Niklaus stared at me with shock, his face marred with pain.

"The taller one is the beta?" he asked.

I stood beside Mason nervously and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Yes. This is Mason Lockwood, Tyler's uncle," I said, pointing my thumb at Tyler.

Niklaus watched Mason curiously and bit his bottom lip, I felt uneasy as an idea came to life in his narrowed blue eyes. With a sudden jolt, he launched himself at me, pointed teeth bared. Mason acted fast, a warning growl passing his lips as he yanked me toward Tyler and collided with the Hybrid. I stumbled and grasped Tyler's broad shoulders to catch my balance. Mason was pinned beneath Niklaus, his airway cut off by the Hybrid's knee - I panicked. Kol sped forward, stopping me before I could intervene.

"Let him have his moment, darling."

I pushed his hands off my waist and glared up at him. "They are my responsibility, Kol!"

Niklaus was grinning down at Mason as he lifted his knee up, releasing the poor man. "I appreciate you protecting your Alpha but if you become a part of my pack, you'd do well to remember that she is mine. You will no longer have a place at her side."

I sighed deeply and tried to rush forward as Mason stood taller, only to be stopped this time by Elijah. He shook his head and held me firmly against his side. Rebekah joined us with a smile.

"It is so good to be home."

I stared at her deadpan and looked back at Niklaus. "It's Elara who decides who remains in her life," Mason said.

Tyler gasped, closing his eyes in abject horror. Niklaus moved forward and I jumped up waving my hands in the air. "Hello, it's me! I'm Elara. Mason is right. I will decide who I am friends with, Nik."

Niklaus stared at me for a moment before smiling. "You're right; you are free to remain friends with him, but the only one sharing a bond with you will be me," he said, biting into his wrist viciously.

Niklaus sped forward, taking Mason by the back of the neck as he forced his blood down his throat. Mason gagged in shock and I stared at the scene in surprise. It was not supposed to be this way. Niklaus pulled away and with a twist of his wrists, snapped Mason's neck. I felt something fracture inside of me and fell to my knees. Tyler was gasping somewhere behind me, but try as I might, I couldn't push myself to comfort him. Someone cradled me in their arms, I could smell the woodsy scent of their skin; it momentarily soothed me.

"It's okay, love. You can feel the breaking of your bond; it will fade."

I pushed out of his arms and looked up at him angrily. "Why-why did you do that? Could you not be kind?"

Niklaus lowered onto his heels, his face blank. "You know who I am, Elandra. I will not change. I'm sorry that you felt pain when the bond snapped. Normally it isn't so rough for our ma-for others like you....but it seems you're different, as always," he said, smiling.

I ignored what was left unsaid and allowed him to help me stand. I glared and pointed a finger in his face. "You will be kinder when he wakes. I am not asking for you to change who you are, but there is no sense in being so damn rough. Things for Tyler will not be that way...if he even still wants to turn," I said.

Tyler moved next to me, trembling. "D-Does he have to be my Alpha?" he asked.

I felt a flash of heat in my chest and immediately answered. "That's up to you and you alone," I said.

Niklaus growled but I placed a hand on his lips, hushing him. "We are not talking about this right now," I said.

Kol laughed and Niklaus glared at him. After a moment, his brows rose and a smirk grew on his lips. "I could kill you for that ya know?" he said against my fingertips.

Tyler stiffened but Rebekah laughed along with a snickering Kol. Niklaus rolled his eyes as I ushered Tyler forward. "Get in line behind all the other people out for my blood."

I could hear grumbling as he bit into his wrist, and another Hybrid was born.

________________________

The sound of multiple voices meshing together, and cutlery and glass clanking against laminate nearly endlessly, did little to keep the negative thoughts at bay. I had at least hoped the alcohol would dispel the memories, but not even Bourbon was my friend tonight. The discussion with Elandra regarding Esther had not gone as planned.

"Would you like another, Mr. Mikaelson?"

Glancing up, I found the young blonde barman staring at me warily. What was his name? Mark? No; Matt. He was a friend of Elandra. I sighed and tapped the edge of my cup.

"That would be most welcome, Mr. Donovan." With practiced ease, he poured me another drink. One knowing nod later, he left the bottle behind. Good lad.

Staring down at the amber liquid, my thoughts shuffled back toward the past.

As a young man, I had denied the possibility of finding someone to love enough to bind myself to them eternally. The idea seemed completely ridiculous to me. Why would the Gods care enough to create one perfect person for everyone? My father was proof enough that the idea was an impossibility. It wasn't until I was thirteen that my worldview started to shift. It was a perfectly average day when my mother brought home a short, redheaded young girl. She was tiny, almost malnourished. I can still recall with near perfect clarity, the surprised gasp from Rebekah, who thought Mother had brought home a sprite.

Our mother had announced that the girl - Elandra - was to be her and father's ward until she married. The girl was a witch, one touched by the Gods - mother wished to teach her what she could. It was when the girls' spectacularly green eyes met mine, that everything changed. She was mine, somehow I knew that beyond a doubt. The Gods had made her for me, and the moment she had looked into my eyes, my life had shifted - made new and focused solely on her.

In the following weeks, I watched as she connected with my siblings. They took to her almost immediately. Finn was the only one who seemed hesitant to share a connection with her. It pleased me to know that my bonded fit in so well with my family. As the years passed, and we aged into maturity, she fell in love with me - as I had already been with her. But our bond was not met with joy. As soon as my mother found out that I wished to wed Elandra, she forbade us. It devastated my family - Elandra wished to run away. I had hoped to create a happy home for my bonded, but my mother had other plans. When I tried to make her see reason, I found out that she planned to marry Elandra off as soon as possible. I refused to allow that to happen.

The day I asked Elandra to be my wife was warm and bright, it was one of the last truly happy days I can remember - as a human or otherwise. Rebekah told me that Elandra had been sent out to gather so I went in search of her in the sweet-smelling woods - a place we had used as solace for many years. I hoped to add to that happy place of memory. I soon found Elandra in the clearing near the raspberry bushes. The warm honey-golden sun was shining down on her auburn curls, and her fingers were tinted red. She was humming a familiar tune under her breath as she picked the tart berries, placing them in a small hand-woven basket.

My chest was tight as I approached her from behind, my steps slow and quiet. In my trembling hands, I held a small silver band. I had crafted it with two dark black Nordic runes etched on each side. FEHE for love and Algize for protection. I stood behind her, my cupped hands outstretched and trembling. I cleared my throat and slowly she turned to greet me with one of her alarming smiles.

"Oh! Hello, Nik. Have you come to help, or do you have something else on your mind?" she said, her brows shuffling.

I was silent as she stared at me with her shining smile, her eyes were trained on my face. She had yet to look down, to find the small band in my hands. Her head tilted questioningly until finally, she looked down. Her face paled as her breathing hitched.

"What-What is that?"

My mouth was dry but I forced the first thought past my lips. "I feel like a part of me has loved you since the beginning of time. I had never considered loving anyone outside of my siblings. I used to tease people annoyingly sick with love - until I found you."

Elandra's lips quivered and she shivered as if frozen, but her smile was back and brighter than the sun. "Nik, I-"

"No! Please, please just let me finish before you say anything," I begged, my heart jumping in fear.

She nodded, understanding lighting up her watery eyes. "Okay."

"Everyone sees the clever little mask I've put in place. You're the only one to see past it and love what's beneath. You have never pitied me or compared me to my brothers. You chose me, chose to believe in me, chose to save me, and chose to love me. It's my turn to return the favor. I want to spend the rest of my life protecting and loving you the way you have loved me."

Elandra was openly crying, her face was red and blotchy but at that moment, she was the most beautiful I had ever seen her. She placed her hands on her chest and shuddered through her tears.

"Nik, I-I...your family is the most important thing, please just-"

Fear swept through me and my voice rose to match it. "YOU are my family," I said, stepping closer. "You love me despite what is broken and beaten down. You see the real me hidden beneath all of the scars and heartache. I need you!"

Elandra crumbled, falling into my arms.

"I love you so much, Niklaus Mikaelson. I would have waited a lifetime just to find you."

I pulled her close, lifting the band up between us. "Be my wife, Elandra Rioult?"

Her hands shook as they hovered over the band for a single moment before she nodded enthusiastically. "Of course, I will!"

I placed the band on her finger. It fit perfectly and it would remain there until our dying day.

Or at least until hers...

I lifted the nearly empty glass back to my lips and took a swig. Since the talk with Esther, memories have flooded my mind without ceasing. It was probably punishment for the decision I had finally made.

"Excuse me. Hi; my name is Will. I'm looking for a woman named Tessa. Do you happen to know her?"

A young boy with sandy blonde hair and light-colored eyes approached the bar with his hand raised to capture Matt's attention. I rolled my eyes at the overly eager young man and poured another drink. He couldn't be older than sixteen, yet he already seemed enamored by whomever this Tessa was. Poor kid.

Matt grimaced. "Sorry, I haven't heard of her and I've lived here all my life," he said.

The boy looked defeated for a moment until his face lit up and he grinned. Reaching into his jacket, he pulled out an oval miniature portrait. Gently, he held it up for Matt to view. "Wait! I gave you the wrong name. It's Elara now; I'm looking for Elara."

Matt stood frozen in shock, staring down at the picture with wide-eyed amazement. I leaned closer to take in the portrait and sure enough, the woman in the image resembled Elandra. Her skin was darker and her attire was that of a different period and country, but it was her all the same.

White hot rage joined with the heat of the alcohol, warming me from within. I spun around in my seat with the smile of an age-old predator.

"Elara did you say? I can take you to her."

Joy radiated from the boy and I felt ready to snap him in half. This was just the distraction I needed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.4K 640 34
You always thought your love story was epic. It started with a boy and a curse. For centuries, it survived every obstacle. Until it didn't. What happ...
2.7K 129 38
After Lilliana Moore reunited with the love of her life, Elijah Mikaelson, all she wanted to do was return to Mystic Falls and rest for a while, mayb...
241K 7.7K 39
After being saved by his brother only for him to give up himself to the hybrid, Damon couldn't help blaming himself for his brother's despair. Wha...
454K 9.9K 51
When you think of Klaus Mikaelson, you think of the murderous Original hybrid; few don't and Violet is one of them. After saving her life in the 1920...