If I Stay✔️

By ShanLivx

BOOK 2 L E O Two years have passed for Leo and his siblings and yet his heart breaking secrets remain hidden... More

1
C H A R A C T E R S
P L A Y L I S T
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43 - Jalex
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80 - part one
80 - part two
80 - part three
81
82
83| I've got you, brother
84 | i can be your hero baby
85 | seventeen going under
86
87
89
90
91
92
93
94 | part one
94| part two
95
96: part 1| ELEO
96: part 2| ELEO
97| January 25th.
Future Book Info
BONUS: Prom Night [1]

88| everything i wanted

5.3K 165 191
By ShanLivx

A smile brighter than the summer sun was a phrase Callan never understood.

For nineteen whole years — okay that's an exaggeration, he's only known the phrase for roughly two years, Callan was pretty sure the first time he ever heard — no read it, was in one of Killian's many hand written romance novels, which he and Carter had found hidden at the back of the teens closet in the summer of their junior year. It was a very eye opening experience to say the least.

Now, Callan was witnessing that exact phrase first hand and his eyes drank the sight.

It happened so suddenly, one minute he was divulged in a deep, almost animated, conversation with Leo about an upcoming art exhibit the younger boy had exclaimed he was so desperate to see, and then their conversation was long forgotten as the door to the hospital room swung open and Leo's words simply stopped.

Callan had an idea of who'd just entered, but what he was sure about was the fact there was only be one person on the planet capable of making Leo smile like that. And Callan wouldn't — couldn't pull his eyes away from the breath stealing sight to actually see for sure.

Leo's eyes looked more blue than Callan knew them to be, a spark of adoration in them he'd never had the absolute pleasure of seeing before. The apples of his cheeks were flushed a light shade of dusty pink, dimples produced in the left corner of his lips from how wide his smile had grown to be.

It felt like a once in a lifetime thing to see, which broke Callan's heart a little because in a split second of realisation; it dawned on the teen that he never even knew Leo had dimples.

How could he not know?

The longer he stared, the more Callan realised that this moment was and always would be everything he wanted to see.

And in that very second, he wondered if there was a way he could freeze the image in his mind forever; because he didn't think his heart could handle seeing Leo smile if it didn't look like this.

He didn't want the half smile, the smile that didn't light up his eyes in the way this one did. Callan didn't want this moment to ever end, and he knew for a fact Leo didn't either.

One look told him that.

Callan's thoughts behind the reason for his little brother's smile proved to be correct when Emilio barrelled past him at lightening speed. The boy waisted no time as he wrapped himself in Leo's awaiting arms, holding him in one of the tightest embraces Callan had ever seen; as if Em feared that one slip of his arms would have Leo evaporating into thin air.

Normally, Callan would break it up because it was his duty as a big brother to do so, but for once, he really didn't want to. He didn't want anything to ruin Leo's happiness and that's exactly what Emilio was to him; happiness.

Of course, nothing lasts forever in his family, so Callan was unsurprised when both Carter and Grey's voices echoed around him, sadly pulling his eyes away from the two lovestruck teens as his glare fell to them.

"Hands off you nasty little fucker," Carter's voice strangely lacked any and all forms of it's usual conviction, it made Callan wonder if he could see how much of an effect Emilio's presence had on Leo too. He hoped he could.

"Emilio, keep your hands above the waist and to yourself." Grey's tone was similar, tired in a way that suggested his words weren't to be taken so seriously.

Rolling his eyes, Callan took matters into his own hands and decided to be the voice of reason, as always. Even if his brothers were being somewhat softer on Emilio than they normally would be, Callan still didn't want them to break up the moment between the two boys.

"Shut up and leave them alone," he hissed in a rasped whisper, eyes focused on the pair for a split second before they travelled back to Emilio and Leo, who seemed oblivious to everyone and everything around them; simply too lost in each other to care. "They're so sweet."

"Yeah," Zac hummed in agreement, gazing at the two with a soft, knowing smile. Unlike Callan, he knew exactly what Emilio meant to Leo. "Listen to Cal, leave them be."

"Dudes, are you both okay?" Carter tilted his head and stared at his brothers with a look of both bewilderment and concern. "Like, seriously?"

"Much more than okay." Callan said softly, as Zac nodded wordlessly. He was much more than okay, too.

"I've missed you," Emilio whispered, just as Zac huffed out a dramatic, tired breath.

"Oh God," Callan turned to Zac, confused by the sigh lingering behind each elongated word. When Zac met his eye and nodded towards the doorway, only then did Callan wish he was no longer in the room.

"Oh."

"LEO!" Atlas screamed as he entered the room, still somewhat clutched to Ryan's side as the older man glared down at him halfheartedly.

"Oh God indeed," Ace reiterated his eldest brothers previous words as he gazed at the newcomers lazily, his eyes lingering on Atlas before shifting to Luke and Ryan.

Ignoring the distaste in Ace's tone, Atlas unlatched his arms from Ryan as he scrambled towards the bed, throwing caution into the wind as he more or less dived on top of his cuddling friends.

It was meant to be cute, like that scene in every heart wrenching movie where friends lose contact with each other for years and finally reunite in the arms of one another, but when the heart rate monitor sky-rocketed and Leo's face twisted from one of content to one of sheer agony, only then did Atlas realise his mistake.

"Fuck," Leo hissed through clenched teeth, arms releasing Emilio as he quickly moved to grab Atlas' hips. With teary eyes, he stared at the placement of Atlas' knee, which was currently half-digging into his burning thigh, "Fuck, Ati, don't move." He rasped out, eyes pleading.

"Le, what's wrong? Where hurts?" Zac, momentarily forgetting about the stitches in his panicked state, asked. His hands flapping around helplessly as he hovered around the two boys, unsure of what to do.

"My leg," Leo wheezed, holding Atlas tighter, terrified that his friend would do exactly what he was told not to do and move.

"Oh, shit, shit, shit," Atlas was panicking now, he held his breath, trying his best to follow instruction and not move. "Shit, Le. I don't know where hurts, but I'm sorry for hurting it more!"

"Idiot," Luke rubbed his hand across his jaw and shook his head, he'd expected nothing less than this from his best friend.

"Will I lift him off?" Emilio offered, chewing his lip nervously as he narrowed his eyes at Atlas. He'd warned him on the drive to the hospital that he had to be a little less of his normal idiot self and be gentle, Luke had warned him too.

Becoming overly annoyed by everything Atlas, Ace stood from his seat beside Jack and decided to take matters into his own hands before Leo even had the chance to respond to Emilio.

Slipping his hands underneath Leo's clammy palms, Ace stared at his brother in concern before he gripped Atlas firmly by the hips, curling his fingers into the boys skin to give him a warning squeeze. "Don't move," he whispered, his warm breath sending shock waves everywhere Atlas wished it wouldn't.

Not the time, Atlas. Sooooo not the time.

Atlas flushed a deep shade of red, feeling awkwardly frozen in place. He felt oh so terribly dirty right now, dirty for the fact he was still somewhat straddling Leo's hips like a spinning bull at a rodeo, dirtier for the fact Ace's words made him want to shiver and ride him like a bull.

Damn, Atlas thought to himself; I'm going straight to hell.

Atlas let out a loud shriek as Ace pulled him from Leo without warning. He fell against the older boy, his back pressing against Ace's hard chest as the boys grip on his hips only seemed to tighten further. Fearing that he'd fall, Atlas twisted in Ace's hold, reaching around him as he threw both arms around the teens neck.

"Let go of me, idiot." Ace groaned, trying to pull a very reluctant Atlas away. But alas, the boy clung to him like a koala.

"Don't drop me!"

"Your feet are literally on the ground." Ace deadpanned, hands still on the younger teens waist.

"Oh," Atlas cleared his throat, flushing further as Jack snorted. "Thank you."

"You can thank me by letting me go."

"Oh, yeah, sure, sorry." Atlas cleared his throat again and eventually let go. He avoided Ace and Jack's gazes as he turned his attention to his very pale looking friend. "Le... I'm so so so so so so so so sorry."

"S'fine, Ati," Leo mumbled, trying to hide the pain in his voice. "You didn't know."

"I did warn you," Luke shook his head with a tut as he moved to the free seat beside Lily. "I literally said in the car to be careful."

"I thought I was careful!"

"You jumped him like a fucking monkey."

"I missed him!"

"I can't listen to this," Grey stood from his seat, walking around the arguing teens as he made a beeline for the door. "I'll go get a nurse to check your leg, Le."

"No, no," Leo dismissed in an instant, he didn't want to waste a second of his friends' visit. "I'm okay, I just need a sec."

Grey pursed his lips, "Alright, fine." He said after a few thought filled seconds. "But if it gets more painful instead of less, you let me know and I'm getting the nurse."

"Yeah, okay." Leo crossed his fingers as he lied.

"Okay," Grey seemed to buy it. "I'm gonna grab us some snacks."

As Grey left, Atlas turned to Leo with a confused look.

"What's wrong with your leg? It was a fire right? My dad said it was a fire, he seen it on the news. How did you hurt your leg if it was a fire? Did you trip? Did you burn it? Did you trip and fall in the fire and then burn it?" Atlas' ramble was cut short as Ace covered his mouth with his palm, pulling him flush against his chest once again.

"Shut up or I'll make you shut up."

Please was the first thing Atlas thought to say, before he got a grip of his horny ass and rolled his eyes instead. He licked Ace's palm, hoping it would remove it from his mouth. It didn't, sadly. It seemed like Ace had been expecting this and probably enjoyed it, Atlas thought.

"Ace," Callan sighed, growing tired of the teens need to bully the younger boy. "Let him go."

Ace muttered unintelligible words under his breath and slowly removing his palm before pushing Atlas forward, out of his reach.

"Damn, you're just so hell bent on feeling me up these days, aren't ya?" Atlas huffed, wiping off his clothes with his palms.

Jack snorted. "Yeah, Ace," his blue eyes gleamed with a childlike mischief that made Ace want to strangle him there and then. "Aren't ya?"

Ryan blinked at the teen, overly keen on riling him up. "Are you?"

"Fuck this," Ace grumbled, trying to hide the heat that began crawling up his nape. "Can someone take me home?"

"I'll take you," Callan offered, pressing a quick kiss to Leo's forehead before moving to Carter and latching him in a tight hug. "I'll come see you guys tonight, I'm volunteering with Dr. Owens later."

"Will you bring me my skin care stuff?" Carter asked, no matter how much he'd cleaned his face, he was sure he could still feel the smoke clogging his pores. "It's in the bathroom under the sink. I need my cleanser; the deep pore one. My Clarisonic, too. Oh and my hydrating face mask. Don't forget my stables; moisturiser, niacinamide serum, eye cream and lip mask too!" He paused for a second, trying to work out if he'd forgotten anything vital. "Oh and—"

"Jesus, Car," Callan stared at him wide eyed, somewhat shocked that Carter knew so many long words. "I'll just bring it all. 'Kay?"

Carter smiled thankfully. "I knew you were my favourite for a reason."

"Hey!" Kaden frowned, lips pursed. "I thought I was your favourite."

Carter turned to the boy who'd just woken from a short nap, he wrapped his arm around his shoulder and smiled apologetically. "Now why would you think something as silly as that, kiddo?"

"You're such an asshole." Kaden huffed, trying to pull away from Carter's vice hold. "Let me go!"

"Kade, you've already been warned about your language today. Quit it." Zac shot him a stern look. "Car, let him go."

Carter smirked tightening his hold before releasing his grumpy little brother.

"C'mon, Kade, Jack," Callan nodded his head to the door. "You're all coming home, let Le have some time with his friends. Kill, Aaron is in the parking lot, you're going with him for your study session."

Killian nodded wordlessly, eyes still focused on his textbook. "You need help studying?" He lifted his eyes to look at Atlas and nodded sheepishly, cheeks flushing at the way he'd said it. "What subject?"

"Calculus," Killian managed to say to his friend in an even voice.

"I can help you next time," Atlas offered, all eyes turning to him in amusement, minus Leo, Lily, Emilio and Luke who knew he was good at anything number related.

Killian was less surprised than his brothers, Atlas was the only sophomore in his class.

"You?" Ace snorted and Carter nodded in agreement. Their amusement quickly faded as Luke turned to glare at the pair.

"Don't say it like that," Luke's eyes narrowed further, shifting to the other bewildered boys in the room. "Ati's great with numbers."

"You wouldn't mind helping me?" Killian's voice was soft, embarrassed in a way Atlas found endearing.

"Wouldn't offer if I did." Atlas smiled a toothy grin, hoping to erase his friend's unease even if just by a little. "Just text me and we can arrange study days."

"I will, thanks," Killian blew out a breath. It wasn't that he didn't appreciate Aaron taking the time to help him, but he would feel more comfortable with Atlas. He didn't mind making a fool out of himself in front of his own friend, Atlas wouldn't judge him — Aaron on the other hand, Killian didn't know him well enough to say for sure.

"Lil, are you coming home or staying with Le and the boys?" Callan asked.

Lily gazed between her brother and his friends. Whilst her and Emilio were back on speaking terms, things just weren't the same as they used to be. She knew it was her fault for being so insecure, but she still couldn't ignore the feeling in her gut that said they were Leo's friends more than they were ever hers.

"Stay, Lil," Luke bumped his shoulder against hers, "We've missed you."

"No, it's okay," she smiled at him, shaking her head dismissively. She appreciated what he was trying to do, but sometimes things were better left as they were. "I'll let you guys catch up with Le."

Emilio surprised her by saying a soft: "Don't go," followed by Leo's softer: "Please."

"Jesus, just fucking stay." Ace was growing impatient, between Jack's teasing comments and Atlas' presence alone — he was feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

"Uh," Lily stammered, eyes meeting Leo's as she tried to work out if he really wanted her to be there or if he was just being kind.

"She's staying," Leo said to Callan, eyes never leaving hers. "You guys can go."

"I can take you home in a little while if you don't want to stay long." Zac offered.

"And I'm here too, ya know," Carter huffed, "If you don't wanna spend time with them, I'd never pass up your company, Lil."

"Okay," Lily sucked in a breath as she slowly nodded. "I'll stay."

"Another one?" Leo glanced between the CD in his hand and his friends blue eyes in confusion. "You literally just made me a mixtape."

"I didn't write these songs this time," Atlas stated, obnoxiously chewing a handful of the chips Grey had provided them with before he left after getting called into work. "I just covered some good fire hits."

"Good fire what now?" Luke stared at Atlas with furrowed brows, internally sighing at his best friends stupidity.

"You know," Atlas paused to suck the leftover flavour from his fingertips, to which Luke scrunched his nose in disgust. His friend was and probably always would be a pig. "Fire hits. Since he nearly met his maker in a fire, I felt it was my duty to give him some suitable music to remember this moment by."

"Why would he want to remember this?" Lily questioned, sharing a look of concern with Emilio. How Atlas' mind worked, they'd never know.

"Why wouldn't he? I mean it's pretty cool." Atlas tilted his head, genuinely curious at their clear reservations. "Anyway," he pulled the tape from Leo's hand, staring at it with a smitten expression. "I only had time to record four songs with how little notice I was given, but I think you'll appreciate them, Le." He nodded his head to his friend who merely blinked in response.

"So I choose a classic to start us off; we didn't start the fire, Billy Joel. It felt real fitting since I'm sure y'all had something to do with it. Anyway, I followed that with a little burnin' up by the Jo Bros, because hello Joe Jonas? Yes please. Then, a little serenading from the king himself, Elvis and burning love. And for a saucy end, because we all love some sauce, I choose sex on fire by Kings of Leon. Whilst it might not seem fitting for the situation, it had the word fire in it so yeah."

"Dude," Carter grinned, excited in a way no one else could grasp, well, except Ryan who nodded his head in agreement. "I love all those songs."

"I think this whole conversation is very disturbing," Zac lifted his eyes from his paper work to say, giving Atlas a long calculating look.

"Disturbing in a good way right?" Atlas smacked the man's thigh, smile never faltering as Zac stared at him vacantly in response.

"Thanks, Ati," Leo smiled at him, or tried too. "This is a very... uh... thoughtful gift."

"Yeah, I thought so too." Came the teens response, followed by a long content sigh as he slouched back into his chair. "I'm so amazing."

"Do you mind if I take it to Oliver's room? He loved your last tape."

"Oliver?" Atlas tilted his head adorably, tapping his chin in deep thought. "We've met him on FaceTime right? The Chinese one?"

"He's Korean," Leo corrected.

"Yeah, so from China?"

"No, Atlas." Leo said slowly. "He's from Korea, not China."

Blue eyes blinked, "Korea isn't in China?"

"No, you idiot." Luke closed his eyes as he groaned.

It was Carter's turn to blink this time. "Really?" He gazed between the teens with the same dumbfounded expression as Atlas. "It isn't?"

Zac exhaled a short breath, refusing to comment as he aggressively turned multiple pages of his paperwork. How Carter had survived nineteen years on this planet and still new absolutely fuck all was something that Zac would never understand.

"I worry about you," Lily told her older brother sincerely as Leo and Emilio both hummed in agreement. "You too, Atlas."

"I'm more than worried," Luke slouched in his chair, gazing between Atlas and Carter. "I'm scared for you both."

"Ditto," Ryan agreed, stealing the bag of chips from Atlas hand before the boy could protest.

"Maybe," Zac began to say, rubbing the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger as he stared at the light haired boy. "Whenever you help Kill with calculus, he can help you with geography."

Atlas stared at him plainly, not quite grasping what the man was trying to say as his eyes squinted in thought.

"I'm gonna buy you a map for your birthday." Emilio decided, wrapping his arm around Leo's shoulder as he made himself comfortable on the bed beside his best friend.

"I can't follow a map." Atlas shook his head, dismissing the idea entirely. "So that would be a shitty gift, Em. If you do that, I'm not making you a tape for your birthday."

"I don't mean a road map you absolute fucking idiot, like a world map." Em clarified with a groan of annoyance. "And my birthday has already been, you got me that weird shaped pasta."

"Oh yeah," Atlas laughed. "Penis pasta. Ha. That was a good gift. See? I get you a gift you'll enjoy and this is how you want to repay me? Bad friend, Milo, bad."

Ryan and Luke snorted in sync.

"Why would I enjoy that?" Emilio asked.

"Why wouldn't you? I thought you'd like lots of little pen—"

"Does anyone want something to drink?" Zac cut in, knowing exactly where Atlas was trying to take the conversation and not quite comfortable hearing it.

Lily frowned, staring at the half drunken soda's on the side table. "We already have drinks."

"Why don't we just get some more, yeah? Hot drinks? Hot drinks sound good." Zac said, more to himself than anyone else.

"You want me to come with you?" Lily asked, to which her brother nodded, eager to get away from Atlas for even just a split second.

"Why don't we go with them," Luke threw all Zac's plans out the window as elbowed Atlas' side softly and whispered. "I think Em wants to talk to Le alone."

"He does," Emilio agreed with a pushing grin. Like always, his Leo withdrawals were becoming ever so unbearable.

"On second thought," Zac cleared his throat as he stared between his son and the boy who felt the need to call him daddy at every given chance. "Maybe I'll stay."

"Dad."

"Z, go," Carter laughed, shooting Leo a subtle wink from the corner of his eye. "I'll watch them."

Zac stared at Carter for a long minute before nodding slowly. "Okay," he eventually said, still not very comfortable with the idea. "I'll bring you guys back some hot chocolates."

"Take your time," Emilio winked as Ryan more or less pulled his best friend from the room.

Keeping his unspoken promise, Carter left the room as soon as the coast was clear, giving the two boys some much needed time to themselves.

It was silent for a few seconds, short breaths followed by content sighs as Emilio rested his head against Leo's. Whilst he wouldn't admit it, knowing the younger boy would feel guilty, Emilio still couldn't shake the terror he felt from last night.

For the second time in the span of a few short months; Leo almost died.

That thought alone made him hug Leo closer, tighter, harder. Emilio hugged him to the point he could barely breathe, but he didn't care — he hoped the hug could some how convey every feeling he'd never say.

"I'm okay, Emmy," Leo whispered against the crook of his neck. "I'm okay."

"I know," Emilio sighed, pressing a hard kiss to his temple as his fingers brushed through Leo's hair. "Your hairs getting longer."

Leo hummed, "And your efforts of changing the subject have gotten shitter."

"Amore," Emilio sighed, rolling his eyes as Leo pushed against his hold and craned his neck to met his eyes. "Let's not talk about it. I just want to be with you without having to think about life without you." 

"You don't need to hide how you feel from me," Leo whispered. "I can handle it, Em."

"I never said you couldn't."

"Then why are you brushing over this?" Leo sat up straighter, blue eyes burning into grey. He wanted to know how Emilio felt and he wanted him to feel comfortable saying it. "You can tell me you were scared. I was scared, too."

"Were you though?" Emilio asked, voice hollow as the feelings he'd kept buried for months climbed their way back to the surface. "It wasn't too long ago that you wanted to leave, Le. And part of me is terrified that you still feel that way. I don't remember a day of my life without you, and I never want to have to."

Leo remained silent, but that silence spoke a thousand words to Emilio.

"This is why I didn't want to say anything," Emilio leaned back onto the bed with a defeated sigh, harshly rubbing his hand down his face. "I'm scared of hurting you, of making you feel guilty or sad... because I don't know how much more you can take before you try to leave me again."

"I won't leave you, Emmy." Leo whispered. It was a lie because they both knew staying was something Leo couldn't fully promise — not yet.

"You tell me to be honest with you yet you're lying to us both."

Leo stared at him for what felt like an eternity, throat bobbing painfully as he swallowed past the expanding lump his own lie created.

"I'm sorry."

"I don't want you to be sorry, I want you to be able to tell me how you feel without the pretence of I'll stay." Emilio said, eyes unwavering as he studied Leo's sorrowful expression. "I don't want you to lie to me, Leo. Not again."

Not again hung in the air around them silently.

"How long have you felt like this?" Leo asked quietly, already knowing the answer. "Why didn't you say anything then?"

"You weren't ready to hear it then."

Shoulders sagging, Leo nodded as he gestured with an outstretched palm for Emilio to continue. Deep down, part of him knew this conversation was coming sooner rather than later. They hadn't really spoke about that night in the treehouse or the events on the bridge. They'd brushed over it, stealing kisses as they swept their true feelings under a rug that was nowhere near thick enough to cover it forever.

"Let it out then," he finally said, taking a deep breath as a means to brace himself from the impact of his words. "We're having this conversation now and never again, so don't hold back, Emilio."

"Le. Amore," Emilio groaned as he ran a stressed hand down his face. He reached forward, taking Leo's hands firmly in his own. "I don't want to reopen old wounds. What good would that do for either of us? I shouldn't have said anything. I was just scared."

"Tell me. Ask me. Yell at me. Just do something! I don't want you to hold this in any longer than you already have and then grow to resent me in the future. Lay all your cards on the table, now's your chance." Leo said, echoing his Dad's words from earlier that morning.

He needed Emilio to say it, because maybe then this past chapter could finally end and all his trauma could stay locked in a worn down book, stored away at the very back of his mind forever — never to be revisited again.

Leo leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to the older boys lips, shocking the other boy for a moment because it was rare for him to make the first move. "Just say it. Let us close the chapter and have a new beginning, Emmy. Let it out, so we can finally let it go."

Emilio studied his face, taking in every feature that had already engraved itself into every inch of his mind since the age of eight. Slowly, he leaned forward, their foreheads pressing against each others as he reattached their lips once more, in a sweet featherlight kiss.

"A new beginning?" He whispered against Leo's lips before pulling back, watching cautiously as the younger boy pulled back and nodded slowly before repeating those same words back to him in a tone softer than the clouds.

"Okay," Emilio took a deep breath. "I'm... I'm scared, Leo and I don't think I realised how scared I've been until now." His eyes drifted to the oxygen strip under Leo's nose, right down to the IV on the back of the hand tightly interwound with his.

When did seeing Leo pale in a hospital bed with wires and monitors become more familiar to him than without?

"I get that you can't promise you'll never feel that way again, I guess I'm just hoping you can promise that you can promise to reach out if you do?" He took a deep breath, ignoring the increase of his heart rate as old memories resurfaced.

Leo didn't say anything, not because he didn't want to, but because he knew Emilio wasn't finished. Back in middle school, Emilio would hold his hand under the desk and whenever something was bothering him that he struggled to voice, he would rub their finger knuckles together almost painfully — as if it was the only way to distract his brain long enough for the words to leave his tongue.

"That night... in the treehouse," Emilio finally said, lifting his gaze as Leo's body tensed. "You asked me to kiss you, you told me you loved me, and you filled me with so much hope, only to leave a handwritten note that shattered it all in less than ten seconds. And I'm not angry with you, please don't think I ever could be, but I just can't help thinking that things could've been so different if you just spoke to me. If you'd told me about how you felt before you went to the bridge."

"I can't turn back time, Emilio." Leo said softly, "I should've told you, but back then I was in a whole different head space to where I am now. As much as it kills me to admit it, anything you could've said — it wouldn't have changed a thing. My mind controlled me and it convinced me that I was doing you a favour by leaving."

Emilio shook his head. He hated the way Leo described it. The words leaving and staying suggested it was some kind of vacation or that he was simply moving to another state. It wasn't like that, it would never be like that — this was life or death. Living or dying.

"By dying, not leaving."

Leo lifted his shoulders in a half shrug. "It didn't feel like death to me, it felt like freedom."

"Do you think it'll get to that point again?" Emilio asked as he leaned back against the plastic headrest. His face scrunched into a wince as the terror he'd tried to hide was clear to both their ears.

Leo leaned closer, mirroring Emilio's position as he resting his head on the older boys shoulder. "Maybe, but I really don't know. I hope it doesn't."

"Do you think you'd be able to talk to me if it did?" Emilio needed something for his peace of mind, he couldn't live his life in fear of Leo making that choice again. "I can't handle another note, Leo."

Leo thinned his lips, heart swimming with guilt. He wanted to say yes without hesitation, but he couldn't give Emilio more false hope. Sometimes his mind tricked him and it was hard for him to push past the barriers his mental illness built.

"I don't know if that is something I can promise you," Leo whispered softly, hating the way Emilio's shoulders sank at his words. "I can't promise that my mind won't play tricks on me, Em. But, I can promise you that I'm trying to get to the point that I know how to somewhat manage the schizophrenia. I can promise you that as long as I'm sane, I'll keep taking my medication and going to therapy. And maybe, one day in the future I can promise you I'll never leave you and be able to keep my word."

Feeling disappointed by how little he had to offer, Leo couldn't look at the boy he was so deeply in love with as he added, "I know it's not a lot, but it's all I can give you right now. I understand if that's not en—"

Emilio's lips stole the words from his tongue.

Pulling back, Emilio gripped Leo's jaw between his thumb and forefinger, forcing their eyes to meet as he shook his head. "Don't even start with that shit. It's more than enough — you are more than enough. I've loved you my whole life, Leo. I want all of you, even the imperfect things you don't want to share. Nothing will ever change that."

No matter how much Leo tried to push him away, Emilio would fly back to him like a boomerang. Maybe Leo could never promise that he'd stay, but Emilio could and he would. Whenever Leo felt hopeless or lost or damaged beyond repair, he'd be there by his side reminding him of everything he's worth. He'd be there until Leo loved himself just as much as Emilio loved him and long after.

Leo didn't say anything in response, but he didn't have too because Emilio already knew everything he felt. All the things left unsaid in the air around them was as clear to his ears as the love in Leo's eyes was to his sight.

He wrapped his arm around Leo's shoulder, pulling him closer as their chests moulded together like a perfect puzzle piece, leaving no space in between. Leo's ear was right above his heart, and in that moment, Em felt compelled to spill even more truth. "Every beat you can hear from my heart is yours, Amore. Every touch, every kiss, every word — everything is yours."

"Are you sure, Emmy?" Leo whispered in the lowest voice possible, too hyper focused on listening to each and every beat that he didn't want his words to drown out. "I wouldn't blame you for walking away, for just being my friend and nothing more. I've got more baggage than I can carry and I don't want to burden you with it too. I don't want to hurt you."

"Love isn't love if it doesn't hurt a little, right?" Emilio pressed a kiss to the top of his head, humming softly. "And I can handle everything you can't carry," he flexed his left bicep. "I'm athletic, remember?"

Athletic. Leo snorted, lifting his head to look at the fucking athlete. "Yeah and you're also a bit of an ass."

"A fine ass at that." Emilio winked.

Leo didn't disagree.

Leo felt content wrapped in Emilio's arms and he really didn't want the moment to end anytime soon. Of course, he knew it was wishful thinking. The others had already been gone twenty more minutes than the boys had expected.

"I like this," he spoke softly, tracing his finger along the embroidery on Emilio's sweatshirt.

"My hoodie?" Emilio played dumb. "You should, it was yours."

"I'm not talking about the hoodie. Wait, I knew I recognised this! Have you been raiding my closet?"

"I know you're not, I like this too. A lot." Emilio smirked, chin pressing to his sternum as he looked down at his best-friend-who-is-much-more-than-a-friend. Damn, he really needed to talk to Leo and have full disclosure on what they were, that title was far too long.

"I wasn't raiding your closet, per say." Em continued. "Kade was my biology partner last week and I just happened to be cold and in need of something to keep me warm. I mean, I could've wore Kade like a blanket to keep me warm but I doubt you'd appreciate that."

Growing used to Emilio's overly annoying need to mention at least one of his brothers in a context Leo didn't care much for, he rolled his eyes and smacked the other boys chest.

"I swear you're obsessed with my brothers." Leo muttered out. "And that's one of my favourites, I want it back."

"No, I'm obsessed with you. They just happen to remind me of you when I'm lonely."

"I can't tell if that's sweet or unsettling."

"I'd go for sweet."

"Of course you would."

"Seriously though, can I keep this?" Emilio gestured to the hoodie with a nod of his chin. "It's very cosy wosy."

"No, it's mine."

"What happened to the saying; what's yours is mine?"

"I've never said that."

Emilio scoffed, gently shoving him away. "And they say chivalry is dead."

"I'm very fucking chivalrous I'll have you know."

"Coulda fooled me."

"You're annoying."

"Yeah," Emilio hummed, eyes roaming Leo's face for the millionth time in less than an hour. "And you're very pretty."

"Okay," Leo mumbled, teeth gritting as he tried to fight the blush that threatened its way to his cheeks.

"And so very cute," he laughed, eyes stuck on the younger boys as he leaned down to press multiple kisses over both flushed cheeks.

"Emmy, enough."

"And demanding," Emilio smirked. "Damn, sweetheart, maybe I should call you daddy since it seems like you'll never say it to me."

"Call me that and I'll never speak to you again."

"You're even cuter when you lie." Emilio all but awed, gently pushing Leo from his chest so he could hover above the boy. "I want to kiss you."

"Stop trying to make me blush you absolute dick."

"You wanna see my absolute di—"

Leo deadpanned. "Em."

"Ugh, fine. Sorry da—"

"Emilio."

"Oh baby, a warning voice. I love it."

"You're bothering me."

"I've been bothering you for, like, fourteen years, get used to it." Emilio grinned, not giving Leo a chance to respond as moulded their lips together in a wet kiss.

Emilio's left hand caressed Leo's cheek, whilst his right was used to support his weight to stop him crushing the beautiful boy beneath him. Being mindful of his injuries, Emilio gently rested his body against Leo's, his legs slipping between the boys parted thighs.

It didn't take long for them both to melt into the kiss, tongues brushing as their hands roamed every innocent inch of each other. Emilio couldn't get enough, kissing Leo had quickly became one of, if not, his favourite hobbies.

"Is this okay?" Emilio mumbled against his lips, voice ragged and breathless. "Just tell me if you're uncomfortable."

Leo opened his eyes and craned his neck to stare at him, cheeks flushed further from the lack of oxygen their kiss had caused. "You never make me uncomfortable," he smiled shyly, tracing his pointer finger along Emilio's swollen bottom lip. "I like kissing you."

"That's very good, because I don't plan on stopping anytime soon." And then they were kissing again, though it wasn't near as much time as either boys had hoped for before a throat clearing broke them apart.

Emilio groaned, burying his face in the crook of Leo's neck as he mentally cursed whoever had the audacity to interrupt them. He just wanted to get lost in all things Leo, was that really too much to ask?

"Yeah, no." Carter tutted, shaking his head like a mad man as he took a step closer. "I did not give you some alone time so you could do this."

"What did you think we were gonna do?" Emilio lifted his head and stared at him with a bewildered expression, making no effort to remove his body from Leo's.

"Not this for a start," Carter said, exasperated. "Off." He clicked his fingers and took another step forward, gripping the back of Emilio's sweatshirt as he pulled the boy from his baby brother.

"Hey!" Emilio huffed, going limp, choosing not to thrash against his hold as not to hurt Leo's wounded leg any further than Atlas already had.

Carter gave him no response, roughly dropping him onto the visitors chair beside his own bed, as far away from Leo's as possible. "Stay."

"I'm not a dog."

"Really? That's almost as surprising as Korea not being Chinese."

Leo zoned the pair out as they continued on with their pointless argument. He couldn't keep the smile off his lips, a wash of pride coursing through him at the fact he hadn't freaked out or let his guilt get the better of him. He listened to Emilio and offered him the only comfort he could; the truth.

"Em?" He spoke softly, voice barely breaking a whisper as the nerves kicked in. He twisted his fingers together anxiously, keeping his eyes on the sheet as he waited for Emilio's response.

"Yes, amore mio?" Like always, though he'd never actually admit it, Leo's heart fluttered at the nickname.

"Don't call him that!"

Emilio rolled his eyes. He would've responded with something snarky, but he was too interested in what the cause of Leo's red cheeks could be. Ignoring Carter's further protests, he stood from his assigned seat and made his way towards his... whatever the fuck Leo was to him.

"Yes?" He repeated, trying his best not to sound too eager.

"You asked me a question a while ago and I never got the chance to answer you." Leo's voice was soft, hesitant in an adorable way that made him even more endearing.

Emilio smiled, a knowing smile as his grey eyes sparkled with amusement. "I did, yeah."

Leo huffed, of course he'd use this opportunity to annoy him. "Does the offer still stand?"

"What offer?"

"That depends, do you want to go on a date with me or not?"

"He doesn't!"

Ignoring his overbearing brother, Leo nodded somewhat shyly. "You know I do."

"Then it's settled, next weekend is ours."

"We're busy next weekend." Carter tried to cut in again.

"Are we?" Zac asked as he reentered the room, staring between the three with a curious expression. "I didn't know we had plans."

"That's because we don't," Leo offered, "Shut up, Car."

"You need to ask for permission to go on a date, doesn't he, Z?"

Zac blinked, neck snapping from how quickly he'd turned his head as his eyes shot to his sons. "A whaty what?"

"Damn," Emilio whistled, mouth falling open as he drooled like a fat Rottweiler. "How can you be soooo daddy and yet so cute at the same time?"

"It's a talent." Zac muttered under his breath, cursing the fact a sixteen year old knew the exact words to make his cheeks flame in discomfort.

"Where's Ry, Lil, dumb and dumber?" Carter asked, receiving multiple raised eyebrows. He had no right to call anyone dumb, Atlas maybe, but definitely not Luke.

"Ryan had to take a work call, he'll be back soon. Rafe came to pick up Lil. Atlas and Luke bumped into your friends," Zac said, nodding his head towards Leo.

"And you left them with them? You left Atlas with Felix?"

Zac stared at him, confused by why it would be such an issue. The boys seemed to hit it off as soon as they recognised each other in the canteen. Atlas had screamed "yo, weird emo kid!" at the top of his lungs, uncaring of Luke's shushing, to which the weird emo kid responded with a grin and a very profound sentence Zac would never like to hear again.

"Is that bad?" He questioned, staring blankly at his son. "Luke's there, he'll keep Atlas on a tight leash."

"There's no leash strong enough for Felix," Leo grumbled, rubbing a hand over his eyes. He felt tired at the sheer thought of spending an afternoon in a room with both Atlas and Felix. He envied Oliver for having had a rest before hand, being in a somewhat comatose state for over twelve hours the day before.

"Did I hear my name?" Felix folded his arms as he leant against the doorframe, grinning at Leo with a little too much teeth.

"I think he was insulting you," Rowan offered as he sidestepped past him with Arlo by his side. "Hi Leo!" The short blonde beamed with a small wave.

"Hey Lo," Leo returned his smile before nodding at Rowan in greeting. "Where's Oli and Pres?"

"Oliver's not allowed to leave his bed 'cause of the heart machine thing, I don't know. And Pres was right behind us, your friend wouldn't leave her alone and started interrogating her because he couldn't understand why she was getting called Presley and Elvis." Felix said all in one breath, reminding Leo of just how annoying he could be.

"Oh-kay," Leo hummed, gesturing to Emilio. "This is Emilio, you already know Carter and you've met my Dad."

"Dammmmmn," Felix lived up to his name as he purred, running his eyes all over Emilio, making Em grin arrogantly and Leo very uncomfortable. "What's with all the snacks? Presley was right. First there was that hot, angry brother that I thought was your boyfriend," Leo grimaced as Carter laughed, automatically knowing which brother the boy was describing.

Felix gestured to the laughing teen as he continued. "Then there's him and the rest of the snacks in the pic you showed us, who I still want to see in real life by the way. Don't even get me started on Daddy. And now there's this?"

Felix looked to the ceiling with his hands on his hips, muttering a series of short prayers to the Lord and saviour himself before shifting his eyes back to his friend. "Leo, you are living my dream life."

Whilst Leo was glad that Felix seemed back to his normal, annoying self, part of him couldn't help but wish that he was still in his own little world, that way he wouldn't need to hear everything that just made his stomach churn in discomfort.

"Holy shit," Emilio blinked, staring at Felix with a bewildered expression. "I can't. He's Ati's clone and it's fucking disturbing."

"Right!" Luke agreed, face a picture of Emilio's. "Just wait till Ati gets here, it's beyond disturbing to listen to them both at once."

Emilio looked to Leo with panicked eyes. "Would you hate me if I left?"

"Yes." Leo didn't even hesitate. "You're not leaving me with them."

"Or me!" Luke added.

"LEO!" Atlas yelled, why he yelled, none of them knew. He had already entered the room, it's not like they couldn't hear him. "Guess who we met in the cafeteria line!"

Leo, Emilio and Luke shared an eye roll.

"What is this?" Felix looked at him with slanted eyes. "A game of guess fucking who? He already knows you met us. Duh, we're standing right here, literally right here."

"Way to ruin the game." Atlas huffed, ignoring Felix as he turned to Leo with a look of excitement. "When can we meet Oliver? Elvis Presley told me he plays guitar!"

"My name is Presley, not Elvis. Jesus Christ, I don't understand what's so difficult about that for you to grasp!" Presley ranted from the doorway, bumping her shoulder against Atlas' as she moved to take a seat on the edge of Carter's bed. "Leo, I strongly dislike your friend."

"Yeah, Atticus, her name is Elvis. God, don't you listen?" Felix drawled out teasingly.

"It's Atlas not Atticus. What kind of name even is that?" Atlas' nose twitched in disgust. "Can we stop using the Lord's name in vain? I feel like my Dad is about to walk in her and ship me off to church camp for the summer."

"What kind of name is Atlas?" Felix snorted. "At least Atticus has some bite to it, you're literally named after an encyclopaedia."

"And you're named after a fucking cat!"

"Me too," Leo ignored the bickering boys as he sympathised with Presley before turning to Atlas, ending his and Felix's weird argument. "We can go see Oliver now if you want?"

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes." Atlas was almost bouncing with excitement.

Rowan stared between Atlas and Felix before shifting his gaze to Leo, raising an eyebrow. "You really want to subject Oli to this torture?"

"I don't want him to feel left out," Leo lied, knowing Oliver would love nothing more than to be left out of this situation entirely. "Plus, I want him to meet Em and my friends."

"He's not going to be happy."

Arlo thought for a moment and said, "Is he ever happy?"

Presley hummed. "Fair point."

Oliver wasn't happy, it was clear to them all by the way his dual eyes narrowed on the three extra creatures in his room.

It wasn't that he didn't want to meet Leo's friends, he just didn't want to be bothered today in general. After spending most of the morning with his father and the three siblings he despised, Oliver would've been content with having the only sibling he actually liked, Sebastian, to keep him company.

"Sexy Seb!" Atlas wheezed as his eyes landed on the familiar boy.

Sebastian squinted, looking somewhat confused before an amused grin lifted his lips. "Dr. Atlas, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

That accent. Atlas just about melted into a puddle of heat.

Sexy Seb? Oliver swallowed back the bile that threatened to rise at the horrific nickname and stared between his brother and Leo's friend, Atlas, who he recognised from their video calls, in confusion.

How the fuck did they know each other?

"Sexy Seb?" Luke asked the question Oliver was so desperate to know the answer to. "How do you even know him?"

All eyes were now focused on the two, even Felix was silent, desperate to know how Atticus knew Sebastian when it took Oliver three months to introduce him to them, and even then, Oliver gave a half ass intro and simply pointed between them all wordlessly. They didn't have nicknames for Sebastian, so why did Atticus?

"It's a long story, Lulu. I'll tell you another time, I wanna talk to Oliver." Atlas paused, pushing Luke away so he could get a better look at Seb. "How do you know Oliver?"

"He's my brother." Sebastian told him, staring at Atlas cautiously. "How do you know Oliver?"

"He's my friend of a friend soon to be my actual friend."

"Mate, I didn't understand a word of that." Sebastian laughed, shifting his eyes to Oliver as the younger boy snapped his fingers. "What?"

"How do you know him?" Oliver signed.

Sebastian smirked at his brothers disgusted face and signed back. "Remember the cute boy I told you about? The one that pretended to be a doctor when I broke my ankle? That's him."

Wanting to wipe the smirk off his brothers face, Oliver smiled mischievously. "You know he's my age, right?"

The smirk faltered. "You're fifteen?" Sebastian turned to Atlas, who nodded slowly. "You told me you were thirty."

"And you believed him?" Rowan said, studying Atlas' features. "He looks younger than fifteen."

"I didn't believe him, no, but I thought he was at least eighteen." Sebastian reasoned. "I just thought he had a baby face."

"Jail bait." Felix coughed.

Luke snapped his attention to his best friend and proceeded to smack the back of his head. "What's wrong with you? Are you trying to get kidnapped?"

"He couldn't kidnap me, Lu." Atlas laughed, soothing the ache in his head where Luke had hit him with the palm of his hand. "He was in a hospital bed with a boot on his foot."

"You're such an idiot." Emilio shook his head, he had no doubt that someone would try and steal Atlas soon, the boy had no sense when it came to dangerous situations. The good thing, the thing that stopped Emilio from worrying as much as Luke did, he knew whoever stole him would be just as quick to return him.

"Yeah, Atticus," Felix said, dragging out the name. "How could you be so irresponsible."

"I don't even know you, cat boy." Atlas rolled his eyes.

"Cat boy?" Felix question with an amused laugh. "That's the best you can come up with?"

"Would've called you pussy, but with hair like that I can't imagine you get much of that."

"Hey," Presley scolded Atlas. "We have children here," she gestured to a very red Arlo.

Rowan laughed at the dumbfounded expression on Felix's face. "You can't hate him for staring facts, Fee."

"Hey! I get plenty of pu—"

"There are children here!" Presley pinched him, turning Felix's glare to her. "Um, ouch? You didn't hurt him when he said it!"

Presley rolled her eyes, pinching him again. "I gave him a warning, which you heard and chose to ignore."

Felix huffed but said no more. Shifting his eyes away from her, he turned back to Atticus. "What's wrong with my hair?"

"No, the question is; what's right with your hair?"

"Atlas, stop being rude." Luke said, acting like Atlas' guardian, as per usual.

"He was rude to me first," he grumbled.

"Anyway," Leo cleared his throat, smiling at Oliver as the boy glared at him. "Oli, these are my friends, you've met them on video chat but I wanted to introduce them properly. That's Luke and Atlas, and this is Emilio."

"Your boyfriend?" Oliver signed, staring at Leo with a teasing glint in his eye.

Leo retuned his stare with a deadpan expression. Oliver knew they hadn't put a label on anything yet. "You're an asshole."

"I find all these little finger things very rude." Atlas huffed, dropping down on the chair beside Sebastian. "I don't know what he's saying."

"It's sign language, learn it and then you will."

Atlas looked at his best friend and scrunched his nose, he couldn't even learn basic English let alone a whole other wordless language. "No, thanks. Can someone just be like a... I don't know the word. Like one of those little annoying people on the side of the tv that do the finger thing, but don't do the finger thing just tell me what the finger things mean?"

"Yeah, I agree with Atticus. I wanna know what the finger things mean too. Leo, tell us what he's saying." Felix ordered.

"No." Leo denied, smiling as Oliver signed a small hello to Emilio and Luke.

"Sexy Seb, will you tell us?" Atlas turned to the older boy, wide big blue eyes and an adorable pout that always got him what he wanted.

"I told you to call me Bash."

"I prefer Sexy Seb."

"I'd prefer neither," Oliver signed to his brother.

Thirty loooong minutes later, after the arguments finally died down, and the flirting between Atlas and Sebastian seized, the group found themselves actually enjoying one another's company.

Felix and Atlas seemed to get on better as time went on, their personalities merging instead of continuous clashing as they took Arlo under their wing, trying to figure out ways to end the boys everlasting blush. It was a task in itself, but Atlas and Felix had no doubts in their freakishly similar minds, if anyone could do it, they could.

Luke, Rowan and Presley got on like a house on fire, pardon the pun. The three of them fell deep into an animated discussion about skating and Ice Hockey, since Rowan used to play as a kid, just like Luke, which led to them all agreeing to meet up for a game whenever Presley and Rowan were allowed home.

Emilio didn't know sign language, but Oliver, much to Leo's surprise, was actual nice and simplified things for him as best as he could. He even went as far as to sign slower and demanded that Leo worked as his translator so he could dive into deeper discussions with Emilio, most of which included all the embarrassing times Leo had admitted to Oliver about how much he missed the grey eyed boy.

Leo didn't translate everything word for word, of course. He'd have a blush brighter than Arlo's if he did.

The longer Emilio and Oliver conversed, the more at ease Leo felt. And as he gazed around the room, watching almost all of the people who made his life feel worth living get along, he couldn't stop himself from smiling.

This was everything he wanted.

Maybe he could make that promise to Emilio after all.

END OF CHAPTER

thoughts?

Leo & Emilio?

Atlas / Atticus & Luke?

Psycho fam & Sexy Seb?

SURPRISE: Zac's book is confirmed

ps: I think "everything I wanted" is Eleo's anthem.

another ps: I know everyone wants to know about Cal in this book, but nothing will happen until his book. SORRY!

9500 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.9K 4.6K 33
'How have you changed this much?' 'Where is the boy I fell for all those time and still in love with?' 'What could have happen so wrong to take away...
11.6K 649 60
Everyone was charmed by Leo's bright smile but behind it all, he could barely keep it together inside. From taking care of his sick mother to sufferi...
275K 4.2K 5
Book 1 of the You Series. Leo Johnson has been a good boy since the day he was born. He always did what he was told and got the best grades in school...
31.3K 1.2K 70
𝗟𝗲𝗼, a cute nineteen year old college freshman, suffering with mental trauma moves in with his new step family along with his biological father. ...