A Raven's Blessing | Vax'ilda...

By red_amadeus

"I don't know if I believe in the gods...but I believe in you, Vax." Athena never had it easy growing up in T... More

Character Information
Prologue: Part 1
Prologue: Part 2
Season 1
The Terror of Tal'Dorei: Part 1
The Terror of Tal'Dorei: Part 2
The Feast of Realms
Shadows at the Gates
Spark of Rebellion
Scanbo
A Silver Tongue
The Tide of Bone
Depths of Deceit
Whispers at the Ziggurat
The Darkness Within
Season 2
Rise of the Chroma Conclave
The Trials of Vasselheim
The Sunken Tomb
Those Who Walk Away
Pass Through Fire
Into Rimecleft
The Fey Realm
Echo Tree
The Scales of Order
The Killbox
Belly of the Beast
The Hope Devourer
Author's Note/Update

Fate's Journey

3.5K 75 11
By red_amadeus

Warnings: Strong and Sexual Language; Violence, Gore, & Death. The ending scene with the Sun Tree could be triggering for some. Several * will be placed near the end if you wish to skip the section.   

------------------------------------

"Stop! Get back here!" the guard yelled who was hot on their tail. Athena and the twins were panting hard from running and ducking in the alleyways on their way to Gilmore's. Vax ran out into the next alley, quickly stopping and pushing the others back.

"Where'd they go?" Athena heard a guard around the corner, "You see them?" 

The trio bolted at the first opportunity but guarded and turned around just in time to see the end of Athena's cloak.

"Over here! Come on!" They ran to where they had seen the group but as they rounded the corner, there was no sight of them. 

They had already made their way to Gilmore's which was closed so they slipped to the side of the shop. They jumped down into the draining well next to the shop that had a barred window. Keyleth, who had been hiding in Vex's fur shoulder piece as a chipmunk, jumped through the space between the bars and into the shop. She transformed out of the form as she grabbed the bars from the inside. 

"Eyes open, lads! Quickly, men! They went this way!" The guards were almost upon them. Athena grabbed the bars and pushed to help Keyleth bring it in from the inside. They quickly jumped in and replaced the bars as the guards reached them. With them out of sight, the guards moved on from the shop.

"Come on. They can't be far." With them out of sight, the guards moved on from the shop. After the guards passed, they entered the darkened shop that was currently devoid of workers and Gilmore.

"Oh, man, being bad is so exciting," Keyleh giggled as they began looking for supplies. However, a purple shape enclosed around them, trapping them as they were lifted into the air. All the lights in the shop suddenly turned on as they heard someone clear their throat to get their attention. They all turned around to find Gilmore standing there, catching them red-handed.

"Ooh, crime doesn't pay, but it is entertaining," he said with a smug while the group gave some awkward smiles back at him. Gilmore walked down the stairs and snapped his fingers causing the trap to disappear as well as them falling to the ground. They all hit the floor, landing on top of each other. 

"Uh, we weren't breaking in or anything," Keyleth stood up quickly to explain, "Just, you know, sort of on the run," she awkwardly laughed it off while the rest of them stood back up.

"A quick stop at your store on our way out of town," Vax added.

"While it was closed. I assume you were going to leave an IOU?" Gilmore deadpanned. 

"Uh... Hmm," they all murmured, no good way of explaining themselves out of this one.

"Of course, darling. You know us," Vex reassured as they all walked to find their needed supplies. 

"All too well," he chuckled at their failed attempt. However, Gilmore cared for them enough to let them continue to shop. Vex and Keyleth grabbed a bunch of arrows and camp supplies while Vax looked at Gilmore's daggers. Of course, he settled on the plain wooden stake as the oldest trick to kill a vampire. Athena picked up a hand crossbow with some wooden bolts as a way to fight at a distance against the two necro-maniacs. 

"I'll take these enchanted arrows," Vex said as she plopped them all on the table.

"And as much garlic as you can spare," Keyleth asked.

"Ugh. I don't want to know," Gilmore turned around, pretending to not be interested, but quickly turned back to them excitedly. "No, that's a lie. I absolutely want to know. What's this all about?"

"We kind of pissed off a vampire," Keyleth answered.

"And our healer's out of commission," Vex added.

"Plus we got our asses handed to us the first time," Athena remarked as she walked to them and placed the crossbow and bolts on the table. 

"Trying to take my job?" Vex smirked.

"Only if you miss," Athena smirked back.

"Oh you two are funny," Gilmore laughed, "May I suggest the addition of something special?" With a swirl of magic, a bottle appeared before them.

"Holy Water. One of the only things truly known to stop a vampire. Well, that and direct sunlight."

"We will take all the holy water you've got," Vex moved close to him.

"You're looking at it," he said as he held it up between them.

"I'll need to grab a few more things, then," Vex sighed as she went off to another part of the store with Keyleth and Athena exploring the shop for other things. A spirit came by Gilmore, offering him a cup of tea.

"Oh! Thank you, Rodrigo. You're a gem." Satisfying its duties, the spirit flew off. "One must have a bit of company while handsome half-elves are off thwarting evil," Gimore flirted.

"I'll bet you say that to all the fugitives," Vax remarked, "You mentioned direct sunlight though?"

"Oh yes! But you need more sunlight than summer in Marquet."

"Well, that seems unlikely. By the way, I don't think I have to mention that we were never here?"

"It'll be our little secret." A loud crash drew their attention away as Keyleth had fallen down after trying to remove a toy stuck to her fingers.

"Need some help, love?" Gilmore asked. 

"I'm fine. Thanks," Keyleth nervously chuckled, "I... It's okay. I'll just stay this way. For forever," her expression saddened.

"Press the tooth of each snake at the same time dear."

"I got it," Athena said as she helped Keyleth up and remove the toy.

"Oh cool, thanks The!" Keyleth said holding up the toy before putting it back in its original spot. Vax stared off at Athena at her caring gesture. She always helped anyone in the group whenever they needed it, even though she thought she wasn't good at it. Gilmore couldn't help but notice Vax's attention toward her.

"Speaking of secrets," Gilmore drew Vax's attention back, "Have you told her how you felt yet or have we continued doing that little waiting game of yours?"

"What? I don't know what you are talking about?" Vax tried to convince but a small blush appeared on his cheeks.

"While I would love to believe that I have completely charmed that heart of yours but it seems that the other competition is winning and doesn't even know it,"

"I-I want-It's not the right--it's complicated," Vax sighed. Gilmore gave him the side-eye at his answer, prompting him to give a more detailed answer. "She has been through so much and is still getting used to everything and us. We literally just got our first home. Her first home since all the crap she has been given in life. I don't want to push her away by rushing it."

"Hmm, I see." Gilmore thought. "One day you will have to try."

Vax nodded in agreement. He looked back at her as she was reading through some books. He noticed a small amount of bruising still around her neck from Sylas' attack two nights ago.

"Gilmore, can I get a minor healing potion as well added?"

"Certainly, handsome," Gilmore snapped his fingers as a small vile appeared both him. He handed it to the half-elf who gladly pocked it. Before Gilmore could question it, Vex slammed her hands on the table.

"Sir Gilmore. For your friends, how much is this going to run us?"

"Hmm," Gilmore smirked.

-------------------------------------------------------

After collecting their supplies and (unfortunately for Vex) paying Gilmore, they caught up with Scanlan, Grog, and Percy who were in a beat-up cart.

"Oi! Slow asses! Check it out. We got a good deal on the cart. Practically, literally a steal. How'd you do?" Scanlan asked as they all jumped in the cart with Vex in the front with Percy.

"Let's just say I'd hate to see what Gilmore charges his enemies," Vex grudgingly said. 

"Hyah!" Percy yelled as he whipped the reins to speed up as they left Emon. They traveled for the entirety of the day as the sun was beginning to set in the sky. Athena was staring at the sky, daydreaming, as Scanlan was continuing to study the diary.

"The?" 

"Yes? Sorry did you say something?" She turned to Vax.

"It's alright," he chuckled, "I was asking how you were doing. I didn't really get to ask after the party plus all those corpses attacking us." 

"I should have been the one asking you that. You were trapped in there with those two. You almost died. Honestly, I keep thinking about what would have happened if we showed up too late," she said looking down at the cart floor. She was ashamed of herself for what happened but more frightened of what could have happened.

"Hey. Listen to me," he said causing her to look back up. "I'm alright now and we are going to give them some payback," he smiled, bringing a small smile to her as well. He brought out the healing potion from his pocket.

"I saw that you still had some bruising left from what he did to you. We didn't have enough at the time but I wanted to give you this now," he offered it to her. She looked at the potion before pushing it back to him.

"I promise I'm fine. It's not really sore anymore, plus someone else might need it more later so we should keep it for then." 

Vax grabbed her hand, placing the potion in it.

"Please, Athena," he begged. Athena hadn't seen him like this. She brought the bottle to her chest. "We need you in the best shape as well...Not that you aren't in good shape...just that," he tried to save himself but stop once she heard her laugh.

"It's okay, I get it. I will drink it." She popped open the lid and drank the contents. The remaining bruising on her neck instantly disappeared, bringing a smile to Vax's face. 

"Thank you," he said. Their moment was interrupted as they heard Grog groaning in the back of the cart.

"Oh, please tell me you're not shitting in another cart," Vax commented as both of them got up to check on him.

"It's not working, it's too hard," Grog cried.

"Grog, are you crying?" Athena asked as they both sat down next to him.

"No," he sniffled wiping away the evidence, "Pike said I can talk to her even if she's not here and I'd feel her. But it doesn't work."

"Hey. Hey, hey, hey. Pike is going to be fine," Vax said.

"I know that. She's stronger than all of us. I'm more worried about us without her."

"Me too, Grog. Me too," Athena sighed. The three of them sat in silence for a while as a way to comfort each other. Keyleth had fallen asleep in the cart while Scanlan continue his best effort to translate the book.

"The Whispered One," he read. The cart suddenly rumbled as they went over some bumps causing Keyleth to wake up. She crawled to the front to find Percy still driving the cart.

"Percy, you need a break."

"Absolutely not," he sighed, "We need to keep moving. The Briarwoods are probably back in Whitestone by now." As they continued driving, Vex noticed movement in the treeline out of the corner of her eye.

"Percy, stop."

"I'm not that tired."

"No, I mean stop the damn cart. Something's tracking us." Percy immediately pulled the reins on the horses, forcing them to a halt. A twig snapped in the distance, causing them to draw their weapons out.

"Uh, what was that?" Scanlan asked clutching the book. Vax, Athena, and Grog stepped out from the cart as the brushes around them began to rustle. An outline of a dog appeared in front of them as it began to whine.

"Oh, poor little puppers," Keyleth exclaimed as she stepped down from the cart and more towards it. "Are you hurt little, guy?" she asked. However, a mutated dog stepped forward with blood dripping down its mouth causing her to scream. Two more came out of the forest, joining it as they all began growling at them.

"What the fuck are those?" Grog asked. 

"A gift from Lady Briarwood," Percy noted. Another dog appeared in front of the cart causing his and Vex's attention to be drawn to it. Its mouth split into three parts as it released a loud scream. 

"What the fu-" Vex exclaimed as a long tongue shot out of it and wrapped around Scanlan pulling him out. All the dogs ran away as Percy and Vex shot at them.

"Scanlan!" They all quickly got back in the cart to chase after them. Percy weaved through the trees to keep up with them as the dogs jumped over a gap in the road. Keyleth used her powers to make a vine bridge, allowing them to cross without falling. 

"Scanlan, hang on!" Keyleth yelled. Vex fired an arrow that missed.

"Come on, Percy! Faster! Hyah!"

"This thing was not built for speed. And did you just "hyah" me?" He whipped the reins to force the horses to run as fast as they could. Vex fired an arrow that hit the dog but did nothing to slow them down.

"That's just not fair," she commented. Three of the dogs appeared behind the cart chasing after them.

"I'll take the big one!" Grog yelled.

"I'll take the other big one," Vax said. Athena rolled her eyes at the two of them as all three dogs jumped into the cart knocking them down. 

Athena had dropped her sword due to the impact. The dog tried to bite through her bracers but it couldn't bite through the steel. She pushed up with her left arm while she reach down on her right side to grab her new crossbow. She load the small bolt into it and pulled the string back to the notch with her fingers as the dog kept trying relentlessly to bite her. She placed the crossbow next to its skull and pulled the trigger causing the dog to stop its attack for a second. She dropped the crossbow and quickly picked up her sword driving it back into the skull. She stood up kicking the dog while pulling her sword out as it tumbled out of the cart. 

"Aaahhh!" She turned to see a dog biting into Vax's arm while pushing her out of the side of the cart.

"Vax!" Keyleth yelled as she knocked the dog off of him. Her eyes glowed green as she let out a roar, intimidating the dog. It let out a small whimper of fear before Athena pierced her sword through its body. She let out a grunt as she pushed it out of the cart. The last dog was trying to swallow Grog but he exploded through it covered in blood. 

"That's for Pike! And me," he cried as fell to the ground "And maybe Scanlan 'cause he probably won't survive!"

There were two dogs in the front including the one that had a wrap-around Scanlan. Though it looked like a part of him was enjoying his position. Vex grabbed one of the enchanted arrows as notched in place.

"This better be worth it." She released the arrow as it soared through the air hitting the second one and causing an explosion, killing it instantly. Grog let out a loud laugh as Scanlan was covered in its guts.

"Thanks, Gilmore." Their excitement soon ended as they began to approach the end of a section of the road and heading straight to the cliff's edge.

"Um, are they going over the cliff?" Keyleth asked.

"They're not the only ones!" Vax yelled. 

"It's got Scanlan. We have no choice!" Percy countered.

"I am not dying to save that gnome. Get me closer!" Vex ordered. The tongue began to retract as it tried to grab the book but Scanlan held on to it.

"Shoot for its head! Neck! Dick! Come on, Vex! No one breaks balls better than you!" 

"He's not wrong," she smirked as she release an arrow with a roped tied to it. 

"You missed?!" Scanlan yelled as the dog jumped off the cliff.

"Let go of the book you dumbass!" she yelled back. Scanlan grabbed the rope as he fell past their field of vision. 

"Off the cart!" Vex, as she grabbed Percy and the rope while Grog pushed everyone out of the side. The cart fell off the cliff as they all landed on the ground. Vex and Percy got up as they ran forward pulling the rope. However, as they got to the end, it had snapped leaving only unfilled rope ends. 

"No," Vex gasped as she sat on the ground. 

"Scanlan," Keyleth cried as Vax punched the ground.

"He didn't make it." Grog sniffled while Athena was trying to hold back her tears. He didn't deserve this. 

"Rise!" the group suddenly looked at the sound of music playing as Scanlan rose on his magic purple hand,  "Mighty Scanlan, Rise!" he sang out. Everyone felt a great sense of relief as the hand lowered with him laying on it proudly.

"Yeah, when I die, it'll be the way the gods intended... choked to death by a disgruntled p­imp," he laughed.

"Careful what you wish for," Vax chuckled as he went to Scanlan, fist-bumping him. 

"We lost everything," Vex observed.

"Well, I mean, at least we still have our holy water-er-er-er...," Scanlan said as they all turned to find the bag of stuff they grabbed from Gilmore's tip over the edge of the cliff. 

"No!" they all shouted but it was too late as they helplessly watch the bag fall and heard the holy water bottle break at the bottom. They all released a groan as they watch some of their best weapons to defeat the Briarwoods destroyed. 

"Perfect," Vax sighed. 

In the distance, they could see half of the demon dog break off from the rock that impaled it and grab the book before running off. 

"She got what she wanted. Again," Percy growled as he set off back on the road. The others followed him, making quiet chit-chat along the way. After a few more hours of traveling as the sun was about to set, Vex made the decision to stop for the day so they all could get some rest as they found a nice alcove of rocks to help protect them. Keyleth went to work making a fire (almost burning herself in the process). Scanlan began playing around with a spell he found in a scroll from Brimscythe's cave, polymorphing into various creatures which arose several laughs from Grog.  Athena pulled out some remaining bandages that she had stored away going up to Vax who was scanning the surrounding area.

"We should patch up your arm," she said drawing his focus toward her. He looked down at his right arm remembering the wound from before.

"Oh, yeah. Probably for the best." They both sat down on the ground as she began applying some creams on the area causing him to flinch a bit. She mumbled a sorry as she bandaged the area with some spare cloth. Vax inspected her work and presented her with a satisfied smile. 

"Thank you, The."

"It's no problem. Plus, we got to have you in the best shape, right?" she smirked, earning a chuckle from him at his early remark. She look around the forest taking in the terrain they were in.

"It's crazy to think that I was hiding out in a forest just over a year ago like this one."

"And now you got us."

"Yeah," she smiled before it dropped. "I don't know what I would be doing right now if I never met you all. I mean...honestly...who knows if I could have really beaten Maxwell on my own. I may have ended back there without you all." 

"Hey," Vax grabbed her hand, holding on to it tight, "You are one of the strongest people I know. I'm positive you could have done it. But a selfish part of me is glad that we did it together and you are with us," he smiled at her. 

"Me too, Vax," she returned the smile, "You all are my dearest friends, I couldn't imagine life now without you guys." Athena looked down noticing their hands were still together.  A blush quickly formed on her face as she pulled their hands apart looking away. 

Vax realized what he did as he looked away from embarrassment. He literally told Gilmore a few hours ago he was going to take it slow. However, maybe he was right. Maybe she wanted it too and holding back was the wrong move. She did say that thought of them, including him, as her friends. Great, this was just too difficult.

Vex was watching this all play out in front of her while she was notching her bowstring. She honestly wanted to smash both of their heads together and call them dumbasses for not realizing that they both liked each other. On the other hand, she didn't want her brother's heart to get broken if something was to happen to Athena, gods forbid. Plus, while they have slowly put together Athena's past. Parts of it were still a great mystery. At least they weren't making an official move on each other yet while they were about to go fight the Briarwoods. Anything could happen to them. Plus, while they have slowly put together Athena's past. 

As darkness set upon them, they all huddled around the campfire as Scanlan sang songs and they all told stories to each other about the strangest kills they have ever had. Athena was actually kinda surprised at Keyleth's as she didn't think she had that in her, honestly. She was grossed out by Scanlan's by a mile. Even she has never faced a creature like that one in her times in the Ironamal. Vax turned to Percy who was over in the corner reloading his gun.

"What about you, Percy? What's the worst monster you have faced?"

"They're in Whitestone," he sighed, "And we will be facing them soon." An awkward silence fell upon the group before Grog cleared his throat. 

"Buzzkill." 

After the sour moment, the twins decided to grab more firewood before they all turned in for the night. 

"I keep thinking about when we left Syngorn," Vex said. 

"Hmm. Yeah? Screw that place. And Father. Whole thing nearly broke us," Vax recalled in disgust. 

"Nearly. But it didn't. Because we stuck together. We didn't let ourselves get distracted by pretty things," she said as they both looked back at the group. Athena was watching with a smile as Grog was dancing to a tune that Scanlan was playing on his lute. 

"Careful, brother. We don't know everything about her."

"What?" He looked back at his sister, "None of that was her choice and you know that. We are all keeping secrets from each other."

"I know. She is a good person and I would do anything to protect her too 'cause I know she would for us as well," Vex defended, regretting what she said, "I just want you to be careful is all. I don't want anything to happen to you." Vax smiled at his sister as he placed his arm on her shoulders to comfort her.

"You are imagining things, Stubby. Nothing will come between us." Vex returned the smile as she playfully punched him before returning to the group with the wood. Vex sat down next to Athena feeling like it was a way to apologize to her friend even though Athena had no idea. She smiled at Vex as they both watched Grog continue dancing away with Keyleth clapping along. After a while, they all turned in for the night, finding the most comfortable positions they could to sleep on the ground. 

The next morning they set off to Whitestone, walking along the forest path, hoping to reach it before nightfall. 

"Almost home. I never thought I would see it again," Percy smiled a bit even though he knew what was awaiting them there.

"What's Whitestone like, Percy?" Keyleth asked.

"Yes, what should we expect?" Vex asking from a more strategic view.

"It's beautiful. Lush. Orchards always in bloom, thanks to the Sun Tree. They say it was planted by the Dawnfather a thousand years ago. It's even engraved here on our family crest," he pointed to one of the buttons on his coat. "A symbol of the De Rolos' ties to the city. At least it used to be," Percy sorrowfully remembered as he continued walking. Keyleth walked in front of him to force him to listen.

"We're going to help you get it back."

"All of it," Vax added as Grog placed his hand on his shoulder. They continued walking ahead as they saw the edge of the city. 

"We're here," Percy said however he gasped at the sight of his city. The town looked vacated as fog hovered over the city. It was like a ghost town. 

"What have they done."

The group walked into the city and they found no one.

"No guards," Athena commented. The only sound of life was birds chirping and crowing. They quietly contained their way into the city.

"Where is everyone?" Grog asked. They all looked over and saw the first two people, an older man and girl, they had seen since entering Whitestone. They quickly entered their home shutting their door. They observed a few others in the shadows doing the same. 

"Uh, no offense, Percy, but your town's kind of creepy as shit," Scanlan noted as they continued their way toward the center of town. 

"I need to find Keeper Yennen," Percy said.

"Who?" Vax asked.

"A holy woman here. She'll know what's happened."

"You're sure about her?" Vex questioned. 

"She can be trusted. 

"If she's alive." A guard quickly came into view as they all ducked into the nearby alleyway. They all let out a sigh as the ground began to shake. They looked up to find a giant walking along the street, the earth shaking with each footstep it took. 

"Uh, b-big thing there. There big thing," Scanlan stammered.

"We're not safe here. Come on," Vex urged them. They all ran as fast as they could down the street. However, Percy stood frozen as he looked towards the Sun Tree in the town square. 

***

"Percy, are you okay?" Keyleth ran to him. She look in the direction he was letting out a gasp, covering her mouth. The rest of the group walked up looking at the tree. Eight-bloody bodies swung in the wind from nooses. Each one of them was dressed in various clothing, resembling each member of Vox Machina.

"It's us."

***

-----------------------------------------------------

Woah. The ending of this episode always gives me the chills as well as the live stream moment. I'm excited to be in the full swing of writing this arc out for you guys. Relationships are building all across the board, especially between our rogue and fighter. 

Season two also just ended and I am sad that we will have to wait another year before the next season most likely. But at least we also have the Mighty Nein to also look forward to in the future. I am heavily excited!

See you all next time! Please vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 109 17
[ BOOK 5 ] COMPLETE ❌ It's been three months since the dread doctors, the beast of Gévaudan, Theo, Katherine was busy, she's been focusing on schoo...
8.6K 157 31
a Holy cleric, a treasure loving ranger, a nervous mage, a clever rogue, a seductive barb, a barbarian half-giant, a royal with a dark past and a fo...
37K 953 36
Ophelia Alastair used to be a Nobel and betrothed to the one and only Percival De Rolo. But then the Briarwoods came and not only took away Percy's f...
4.2K 193 52
Daphne Evans, a thirteen year old girl. On the outside, she's just an ordinary girl but in reality that's not true. At the age of nine, she watched h...