THRILLER • SUPERNATURAL

By Winter326

"DAD, TRUST THE PSYCHIC." when john winchester doesn't return from a hunt, dean and his recently adopted dau... More

THRILLER
GRAPHICS GALLERY I
GRAPHICS GALLERY II
ACT ONE - the hunt begins
ONE - UNCLE SAM
TWO - THE WOMAN IN WHITE
THREE - THE BEGINNING OF THE END
FOUR - INTO THE WOODS
FIVE - HUNTING A WENDIGO
SIX - LIGHT IT UP
SEVEN - CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER
EIGHT - WATER ALWAYS WINS
NINE - CRASH AND SALT AND BURN
TEN - TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER TO WORK DAY
ELEVEN - GRACE'S FIRST FLIGHT

ZERO - SAVING GRACE

1.2K 64 186
By Winter326

PROLOGUE — SAVING GRACE

"You're the one that saved me." — girl in the woods

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT. The wind howled in the trees and the fallen branches snapped under their heavy boots. Rain poured down from the inky black sky, soaking them through. There were no stars visible that night, for the onyx void was empty and glared at them from above. But the Winchesters didn't seem to mind, for the darkness gave them the cover they needed for their hunt.

John and Dean Winchester were out on a hunt. Not the kind of hunt where you use dogs, beaters and bring home a pheasant at the end of the day; no, it was a hunt of the supernatural kind. Their shotguns were loaded with rock salt instead of bullets and were tightly grasped in their calloused hands, ready to fire at a moments notice.

Rumours of a haunting in these woods had piqued their interest, so the two journeyed out in the Impala, following the trail. Many miles and and few fuel stops later, the two Winchesters arrived at their destination. There wasn't much they could find on the history of these woods, and nothing so violent that would create a vengeful spirit. Still, there were clear signs of the supernatural that made this place impossible to ignore.

Dean kept close to John, eyes darting around observantly. He tightened his grip on shotgun and rested his finger readily on the trigger. They had no idea what was in these woods and they needed to be prepared for anything.

With each cautious step, they moved further into the forest, their ears pricked for any sudden sound. Dean kept behind his Father, the latter always taking the lead in whatever case they worked on together. So far the two had found nothing in the woods despite the supernatural markers they had found, so they decided to keep going. Dean had lost track how long exactly they had been walking amongst the trees, but he knew it had been a while.

John halted and Dean had to quickly ground himself before he could fall into his Father's back. The man knelt down on the ground, analysing the way the dirt had moved: tracks. Even in the rain, the could just be seen in the mud, so whatever they were hunting, it was close. Humming in thought, he got back up on his feet and glanced behind him to his son. "It looks like it went this way." He gestured in the direction of the tracks with his gun.

Dean nodded in understanding before the duo continued on, using the tracks as their guide through the densely packed woods. Letting go of one hand on the shotgun, he raised it to wipe the rain from his eyes before returning it to the gun. He didn't want to admit it in front of his Father, but he was tired, they had been going like this for ages. But John didn't stop, so he didn't either.

The rain started to lighten its pour which helped the Winchesters to better track what they were after. Dean's whole body was shivering, despite him being covered in many layers, as the rain had soaked him through and the cold wind was making it even worse. His Dad looked fine though, as if he had just shrugged the cold off without much effort. Or maybe the nerves in his body were too dead to respond to cold.

Rain had messed with the tracks, but John could still make them out as he lead him and his son forwards. He had no idea what they hunting, but whatever it was, it had small feet. That much he could tell for certain. But as John had learnt from experience, small didn't mean weak or any less deadly.

With every rustle in the trees, the Winchesters fingered their triggers. Something was out there and they were prepared to kill it before it killed them. That was what hunters did.

Hair pressed to their foreheads, both Dean and John reached up to wipe the rain from their eyes as they continued to follow the tracks. Dean wasn't stupid, he knew his Father wasn't telling him everything about what they were hunting. But still, he trailed after his Dad as they continued to trek through the woods. Sooner or later he would find out what was going on, and by the way John was slowly decelerating his pace, he knew it wouldn't be long before he did.

A branch snapped.

Whipping their heads around in the direction of the noise, the Winchesters raised their guns back up and ready to fire. John took a strong step forwards without fear and care as to what might happen. Dean, on the other hand, was slightly more cautious. He kept close behind his Father as he stalked towards the source of the sound. Then they heard another rustle and quickly prepared themselves.

"Be ready, Dean." John reminded his son in a low whisper.

Dean nodded his head and tried to hide his nerves. "Yes sir."

John took another step closer and therefore Dean did too. Sounds of disturbance continued to echo through the trees and over the pitter-pattering of the rain. And with each step, the sounds grew louder as they drew nearer.

They were close enough to see the small shaking of the bushes. It could be a rabbit, or a deer, or anything else but what they were trying to find. Maybe they weren't even following the tracks of the supernatural creature they were after. However, John was sure it was.

John cocked his shotgun. So Dean did the same.

But the sound of their guns clicking obviously startled whatever was hiding in the undergrowth for the bush stopped moving and everything was suddenly still. Dean frowned at that. Most creatures, at realising there was a hunter behind them, would attack and try their hardest to kill them. But the silence and inactivity led Dean to debate whether or not they were hunting a creature.

It was clear his Dad knew something he didn't, but Dean had learnt by now not to question him.

Suddenly, there was movement and both Dean and John tightened their hands on their guns. John took another step forwards as he aimed his shotgun at the bush. Although Dean kept close to his Father, gaze trained on the bush, he was hesitant. A glare was sent his way by John who was scolding him for not following him further towards the source of the movement. Finger hovering over the trigger, John prepared himself to fire.

But before he could, a small figure stumbled out of the bush.

It was a little girl.

Clad in a white nightdress smeared in mud, stood a young girl staring at them. Twigs and leaves and other debris were stuck in her chaotic curls, like a small ecosystem in her hair. Dean noticed the blood stained on her feet from all the sharp branches pricking her sensitive soles. She had her arms wrapped tightly around her tiny form as she attempted to keep herself warm. Tears stained her cheeks and there was fear clearly present in her eyes and then Dean watched as they widened in recognition.

Dean lowered his shotgun. John did not.

The girl stumbled forwards, clearly exhausted and in pain. Dean titled his head slightly as he examined her from where he stood. He was, of course, curious and bewildered by her sudden appearance.

She almost tripped over a discarded branch but quickly caught herself as she continued her way towards the two Winchesters. Looking up at them with what Dean recognised as hope and relief, she finally spoke. "It's you." Her voice was an almost whisper. A weak smile spread across her cracked, dry lips.

"What the hell are you talking about?" John interrogated as continued to point his gun straight at the child.

The girl smacked together her dehydrated lips. "I saw you." She informed them before reaching up to tap her temple. "In my head." Dean's eyebrows scrunched and his lips pursed as he stared at the girl in confusion. "I saw you."

A look was then shared between the Winchesters. If what she was saying was true, then they weren't hunting a creature at all, they were hunting a psychic.

The girl took another step forwards, in the direction of Dean, as she dropped her arms from around her waist. She stared straight into Dean's eyes. In them he could see her joy, her hope, her innocence and that made him drop his shotgun much to John's disapproval. Her weak smile grew and Dean couldn't help it as the corner of is own lips turned upwards.

There was something about the child in front of him that Dean couldn't shake. Like his gut was telling him to protect her at any costs. They continued to stare at each other, studying the other curiously. Dean was analysing the small girl's features and noted how weak she looked. There was no way to determine how long she had been out in these woods, but Dean could tell it had been much longer than a day.

John still had his gun pointed at her small head as if expecting her to suddenly pounce on them in her exhausted state and rip their throats out.

As she took another step in Dean's direction he could see how it looked like a sudden weight had been placed upon her shoulders as her knees started to buckle. Without even thinking, his arms instinctively reached out to catch her as her knackered legs finally gave in. The girl, having expected to hit the ground, was surprised to find herself in the man's arms. Dean looked down at the child worriedly but she just gave him a weary smile. "I saw you." She repeated with a thin laugh. "You're the one that saved me."

Then, her eyes closed and she drifted into unconsciousness. Finally allowing her body to let go and succumb to its desires. Dean didn't know what to do as he held the sleeping girl tightly in his arms. He breathed deeply to try and calm himself so that he would start panicking. Now was not the time for that.

She was so light in his arms it frightened him. Dean stood up slowly with the girl bridal-style in his arms to make sure she was safe and comfortable. He tore his gaze from her weary form to look over at his Father who had finally lowered his gun. "We need to take her to the hospital."

And reluctantly, John Winchester agreed.

IT TOOK DEAN A WHILE TO STOP PACING, BUT NOW HE WAS JUST STARING AT THE LOST GIRL THROUGH THE WINDOW. She was unmoving in her hospital bed, surrounded by Doctors and Nurses who were tending to her needs. After she passed out in his arms, Dean ran back to the Impala with his Father on his heels before he raced towards the hospital. Without knowing how long she had been out in the woods, he didn't know how ill she was or how long she had left. So, he hurried to the nearest hospital as fast as Baby could take him.

Immediately after arriving, Dean grabbed the small girl from where she laid in the backseat before carrying her into the hospital. Doctors and Nurses instantly surrounded them and took the unconscious child from his arms. Dean was certainly surprised that his Dad wanted them to stay, having expected for the man to order them to take off and leave the girl in the hospital. After all, it wouldn't have been the first time.

Dean stood outside the girl's room, wringing his hands as he kept his gaze fixed on her. John had gone to occupy himself, with coffee and his journal, but Dean stayed as close as he could to the child. He couldn't explain it. There was just something about her that drew him to her, that made him want to protect her.

She was lost, hurt and alone. Of course she needed someone to protect her, Dean scolded himself mentally at what he was thinking.

They knew nothing about the child. For all they knew, she had a family out there somewhere who were worrying sick about her disappearance. Family who loved her and wanted nothing more than for her to be back in their arms. So Dean reprimanded himself and reminding his heart not to get attached. Because soon the two Winchesters would be on the road once again, leaving the girl in their rear-view mirror.

One of the nurses exited the room before walking up to Dean who trying his best not to anxiously bite his nails. "You're the one who found her?"

"Uh, yeah. Me and my Dad did." He fumbled over his words awkwardly.

The nurse just smiled at him. "It's a good thing you did. I'm not sure how much longer this child could have survived out there on her own." Dean just nodded his head, unable to find the words. And then the nurse added softly. "You saved her."

"You're the one that saved me."

It echoed in Dean's mind and ricocheted off the walls of his skull. The girl was right: he was the one to save her. Dean felt his hands tremble before he removed his eyes from the nurse to look to where the girl laid.

"What will happen now?" The gruff voice of John Winchester spoke up from behind him. But Dean didn't turn away from the window.

With a sad sigh, the nurse replied. "We couldn't identify her, there was nothing in her records. We've tried the police, but no girl matching her description has been reported missing. Someone from Child Protective Services is on their way to look after her." He informed them.

Dean wasn't sure what he wanted to do in that moment. There were too many things flying around inside his head. That girl wasn't his, all he did was find her in the woods, but why didn't he want to let her go.

"She should be awake any moment now." The nurse announced and that made Dean look up and away from the glass. "The Doctors are sure she'll make a full recovery. However, we won't know extent of the mental and emotional damage until she wakes up." He told them with a sad shake of his head before adding, trying to remain positive on the poor girl's condition. "But she's already proven she's a fighter, so I'm sure she'll be fine."

And as if to prove his point, the girl suddenly lurched up from her bed with a gasp.

The Winchesters and the nurse rushed into the room where a small gathering of medial staff were surrounding the girl. Dean pushed through the wall of white coats and scrubs to reach her side. Wide-eyed and breathing heavily, the girl frantically scanned the room as panic quickly settled into her system. Dean grabbed her tiny hand as the medical staff dashed around to make sure she was physically okay. The girl, feeling a hand on her own, turned to find the man who had saved her giving her a comforting smile.

"It's okay. You're safe." He reassured her and she believed him. "You're in a hospital."

Hospital? It took her a moment to recall the meaning of the word. It felt so foreign and familiar at the same time. This was confusing.

Once the beeping monitors had calmed, signally she too was relaxed, the majority of the Doctors and Nurses left the room, leaving the Winchesters with the nurse they had been previously speaking to out in the hallway.

"You saved me." The girl smiled happily, her lips already less cracked than they were.

Dean nodded his head and returned the smile. "But you can call me Dean." He told her. "And what can I call you?" The girl appeared confused so he clarified. "What's your name?"

She paused and struggled to find the words on her tongue. "I don't—I don't remember."

John glared at the nurse expectantly, then the man stammered. "There—there were no physical signs to suggest memory loss."

"It's okay." Dean tried to assure her with a comforting smile but that didn't do much to quench the growing fear inside the girl. "Your memories may come back." He turned to the nurse with a raised eyebrow. "Right?"

The nurse gulped nervously before replying. "It is possible for lost memories to return with time."

"See." Dean returned to the girl with a grin. "I'm sure you'll remember really soon." The girl still didn't look convinced and started fiddling with her hands absentmindedly.

Out of the corner of his eye, Dean could see the nurse rotate on the balls of his feet before heading out of the room to where a woman was standing outside.

Must be from Child Protective Services, Dean deduced from the smart suit and folder in her hands.

Looking up from the bed, the small child turned to Dean and innocently queried. "Am I staying with you?" Dean's eyes suddenly widened in surprise at her request. But considering him and his Dad were the ones to rescue her from those woods, he probably should've seen it coming.

Glancing back at his stoic Father, Dean watched as the man shrugged his shoulders. "Someone needs to keep an eye on the child." Dean couldn't believe what he was hearing. Was he dreaming? Probably not, his dreams were not like this in the slightest. Sure, he knew why John really wanted to keep an eye out for her — her psychic powers — but still, he hadn't expected this.

Turning back to the girl, Dean then asked. "Do you want to stay with us?" The girl nodded enthusiastically with a bright grin on her small lips. "Are you sure? Because our lives aren't the safest and nor are they normal."

The girl didn't care about that. When safety was concerned, she felt safer next to this man than anyone else, after all, he was the one to save her. And normal, well she didn't know what that word meant.

"I want to stay with you." She insisted as she reached out to curl her tiny fingers around Dean's hand.

A warm smile made its way onto Dean's face at his words. He couldn't describe it, there was just this content feeling rising in his gut, a connection he felt to the girl. Dean was so caught up with that strange new feeling, he didn't even notice his Father exiting the room before making his way over to the nurse and the woman from Child Protective Services. For no more than minute, John spent his time discussing with the people on the other side of the window. Dena noticed how the girl was now looking over his shoulder and he followed his gaze to find his Dad bargaining with the nurse and the CPS employee.

Together they watched as John reentered the room wearing a triumphant smirk. "They said you can stay with us." He announced and at his news, the small girl's face erupted with joy and if she wasn't so tired she would be bouncy around the room in excitement.

Dean just smiled contently at the good news before he went on to say. "If you're gonna stay with us, you're gonna need a name."

A name? She was going to get a name? Memory was a strange thing. Like, for example, how she knew exactly what a name was but couldn't remember her own. And now they were going to give her one.

Humming in thought, Dean stared at the girl in front of him as he analysed her features in an attempt to deduce the perfect name to give her. "What about Kate?" He shook his head at his own words. "That's not it." Honestly, she would have been happy with any name, but it appeared her saviour wanted it to be just right. "Bonnie? Stevie? Rose?—"

"—Dean, no artists."

At John's interjection, Dean grumbled in annoyance and then continued to study the child in front of him. "Bella? No. Florence? No, that doesn't work either. Mary?—"

"No. Not Mary." Interrupted John with a stern look on his face. Whilst Dean saw giving the girl his Mother's name sentimental and sweet, John thought the opposite. He didn't want some tiny psychic declaring herself with his dead wife's name on her lips. But despite that, he had to admit, some part of the child seemed like a Mary. Grunting, John then added. "It can be the middle name."

Before Dean could question is Father, the girl suddenly bounced excitedly with a bright smile. "'Middle'? I get more than one name!"

Dean couldn't help but laugh softly at her delight. "Yeah, you get three." He then went on to explain. "Your first name, it's what people call you. Like I'm Dean," Glancing back at his Father, he added. "and that's my Father, John. Not everyone has a middle name, it's a choice. But we all get a last name and when you're family, your last name is the same, both me and Dad are Winchesters." Three names? Now that was certainly something. But she didn't have a family, so what would be her last name?

Humming in thought, Dean glanced to his Father and then to the girl until a name finally came into his mind.

"What about Grace?" He suggested.

Just having a name was enough for her, but she couldn't deny that she quite liked the one that came from her Father's lips. "I like it!" She grinned enthusiastically and then turned to John who shrugged, rather unbothered.

Dean just smiled at the girl before nodding his head. "Grace it is, then." With a hum he mused. "Grace Mary Winchester, that sounds like a nice name." Winchester? Wasn't that the last name both him and John had? Wasn't that reserved for family? Wasn't Grace just a lonely child with no one left? Dean noticed her confusion and added. "You're family now, kid."

At that, the girl — Grace — beamed brightly, exposing her pearly teeth. She wasn't alone anymore, she had a family now. "Grace Mary Winchester, I like it." She nodded her head. Dean felt his heart lighten at the sight of her joy.

Turning to a newly-named Grace, Dean placed on a playful smirk. "Welcome to the world, Grace Mary Winchester. I hope you enjoy your stay."

Grace had come into this world alone, cold and in pain. And Dean would be damned if he was going to let her exit it the same way. And that was how the tale of Grace Winchester began: with a broken man who wanted to save a lost girl and a lost girl who wanted to save a broken man. Neither of them realising that what they were really doing was saving each other.

The prologue is up!!! Just so you know, this is actually a little shorter than all my other chapters. I wasn't sure how long I wanted this to be, but I knew what I wanted to write and just went with it.

John Winchester! Put that gun away this instant! It's safe to say that John and Grace's relationship is complicated as she is oblivious to his true intentions. Even after waking up in those woods, alone and scared, she still sees the best in people and is kind to others. She's too pure for this world.

Dean automatically forming a connection to Grace because even he knows he's meant to look after her. Grace literally saw images of John and Dean taking her away from the woods and somewhere safe, so her psychic powers have already kicked in. Dean just wants to help a lost and lonely child. John, however, is more interested in the power she has. Obsessive git.

I can't wait to write more of Dean and Grace interactions, I love them both so much.

But for now, goodbye and thank you for reading!!!

Sincerely Rosie aka Winter326

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 235 9
Mary Winchester was killed by a supernatural force and now, her husband, two sons, and only daughter are obsessed with finding it and killing it 22 y...
13.3K 459 107
Everything Zach knew changed when he was just a toddler. Life became a lot scarier, and a lot harder. Now he and his brothers are on a quest to find...
23K 637 23
Your a 4 year old girl playing when all of a sudden your father gets killed by a unknown creature you are yet to discover at this young age. A man wi...
20.4K 411 22
Dean rescues 5 year old Hayden from her abusive family and takes her under his wing. After recruiting his brother, Sam to find their father, the two...