His Fated Mate-Completed- A W...

By LisaHiggins3

#1 in Werewolf Romance Fiona Quinn leads an affluent lifestyle in Dublin until an unexpected encounter with... More

Copyright/ Dedication
One: A Girl's Night Out
Two: To Tango With A Vampire
Three: Wolfsbane and a Dangerous Revelation
Four: Captive
Six: A Cruel Reality
Seven: Creatures of Primordial
Eight: A Proposition Worth Taking
Nine: A Bittersweet Exchange
Ten: An Unholy Home
Eleven: Wings of a Fairy
Twelve: Hybrids, Sex, and Xanax
Thirteen: An Alpha's Bond and Confession
Fourteen: Sibling Rivalry and Spiteful Witches
Fifteen: Imagined Hell and a Witch Named Viona
Sixteen: The Mean Fiddler
Seventeen: Forbidden Fruit
Eighteen: Animalistic Desire
Nineteen: Checkmate
Twenty: Day of Reckoning
Twenty-One: Death Blow
Twenty-Two: Tit for Tat
Twenty-Three: Revelations, Love, and Magic
Twenty-Four: The Fairy Realm
Twenty-Five: Celestria Damaris, Queen of the Fae
Twenty-Six: A Cunning Queen
Twenty-Seven: Path of the Raven
Twenty-Eight: The Hefty Price of Magic
Twenty-Nine: Finding Tiana
Thirty: If You so Desire
Thirty-One: Princess of Shadows
Thirty-Two: Drug War
Thirty-Three: Casualties of War
Thirty-Four: Follow the Shadows
Thirty-Five: A True Queen
Thirty-Six: Epilogue

Five: The Twilight Zone

118 12 7
By LisaHiggins3

First Draft

Fiona's POV

Although I still felt exhausted, I woke up several times before sunrise. It felt like I was living in an episode of The Twilight Zone. Every time I roused, I reached over to make sure Kat was breathing. Relieved she was alive, but I wondered when she would wake up. I was alone and scared and needed her. Dammit, Kat could help me talk this through. We could figure it all out together like we always did.

As I lay in the dark, I kept going over everything that had transpired and I had questions. Things were going to change when I saw Rowan again. He demanded explanations from me, but now it was my turn. Why did his skin burn from the silver? And why was he so worried about Wolfsbane? He insisted my father hunted and killed creatures of the night, too. Why would he care?

I sat up in bed and whispered, "Oh shit!" A snippet of conversation stood out in my mind. I had asked if they were vampires and Rian denied it. It made sense, I suppose. Would they have still fought the guy at the club if they were vampires? Did all vampires get along? I didn't have the answers, but crazy as it sounded, I feared Rowan and his family were not human.

The very idea was laughable and never in a million years would I believe something so absurd until now. After last night, I saw with my own eyes that other creatures besides humans exist. I saw an actual vampire, I thought and swallowed hard. My mouth was dry, and I was desperate for a drink. I didn't want to drink bathroom water, nor did I relish the idea of waking anyone yet. I wasn't sure how to face these people or things-whatever they were. They could be dangerous and I was terrified.

I scrambled off the bed and padded to the bathroom to relieve myself. Standing in the darkened room, I closed my eyes and counted to ten. When I opened them, I could make out the room better. After using the toilet, I washed my hands and splashed cool water on my face and that's when I remembered my purse. Where was my purse? I raced from the room, my gaze landing on the clothes Kyra had brought. I thought my purse was on the bed.

Where's the damn light switch? "Aha," I whispered and crept to the door in case Rowan was on the other side. My finger flipped the switch to the left of the door and I stood unmoving for a moment and listened for any sounds. Hearing nothing, I wandered around the large room looking for my purse, to no avail. I even checked under the bed. That bastard had my purse with my cell phone! I was furious. Furious and parched.

Anger always gave me my courage, and I grabbed the clothes, picking out a pair of joggers and a Janis Joplin t-shirt. At least the kid has good taste in music, I thought with a smile. Janis Joplin was one of my all-time favorite female singers and I felt this was a good sign. Call me silly, but I believed in things like fate and signs. However, I needed to wipe the grin off my face, stop singing 'Bobby McGee' in my head and return to being bloody pissed off. If not, I'd lose my courage.

Once dressed and concentrating on being held captive by a stranger who may or may not be a vampire or warlock, I rapped my knuckles on the door. I stood with my hand on my hip and waited... nothing. This time I pounded on the wood using my fist.

Bingo!

I pressed my ear to the door and listened as the footsteps sounded closer and closer on the tile and leaped back just in time. The sound of the door knob turning had my heart racing, and I was prepared to fight for some answers.

"Good morning, sunshine," Rowan said straight-faced through clenched teeth and followed it up with a sarcastic-looking grin. He reminded me of the Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood.

I shivered.

"My father is not a murderer," I yelled and cursed myself. Dammit, Fiona! That was not what I planned on saying.

Rowan stood with his hands on his hips and a bored look on his face. "So you've told me several times now." He looked over at the bed and back at me. "How's your friend?"

"The same. When will she wake up?"

"It's still early. She's sleeping it off. Now, we have some business to take care of, lass. Come with me," he ordered and stormed off, leaving me with my mouth open.

"The bloody cheek of this man," I said loud enough for him to hear. I didn't get a response, which made my blood boil. "Are you taking the piss?" I ran to catch up with him. He had to be joking. I was famished and beyond thirsty.

He turned, and we collided. You'd have thought I had burned him by the way he flinched away from me. "No, I'm not taking the piss. You want to go home, right?"

"Yes, but where are your manners?" I stood with my hands on my hips and narrowed my eyes at him. "Not only am I starving, but I have had nothing to drink since the tequila last night!" I said with my voice raised.

"This isn't a bed-and-breakfast, princess," he said in a whisper.

"Why are you whispering? Afraid you'll wake up one of your siblings and they find you denying me basic human needs?" My brows rose to my hairline as I waited for his response.

"I could not care less what my siblings think. The boss here is me. The quicker you realize I am the one in charge, the better we will get on. Follow me to the kitchen." He strode off in a huff and I followed.

A minor victory, but I took it. The war with Rowan was far from over, but I needed sustenance and caffeine to spar with him.

Rowan led me to a grand kitchen that smelled of roasted coffee, eggs, and sausage. My mouth watered as I took in my surroundings. The room was large but felt homey to me. Light filled the room as the sun shone in through the floor-to-ceiling windows, taking up an entire wall. It was a lovely kitchen. I had a thing for a nice kitchen.

"Make yourself at home," Rowan said, holding out a hand to show a spread of food covered with silver lids on a long counter. "Coffee or tea is over there." He pointed to a Keurig and tea kettle beside the range. "There's cream, sugar, and anything else you could want for your beverage and bottled waters in the fridge. Take care of your basic human needs and I'll be back soon." He glared at me and left.

"Thank you," I said with a sneer and rolled my eyes at his retreating form. "Take care of your basic human needs," I mocked him with disgust before I did just that.

I shoved the last of the eggs into my mouth and drank deeply from the coffee I'd loaded with sweetener and cream. I let out an audible groan and stretched. Rolling my neck from side to side, I closed my eyes and did my shoulders, too. It felt wonderful to stretch out the kinks and a full belly helped, as well. I opened my eyes and screamed.

"Blimey! You scared me."

Rowan was leaning against the counter, staring at me. He licked his lips and for a moment, I forget to hate him. My mind took me to a place I had no business going.

"I'm just waiting for Rian so we can conclude our business," he said, breaking my unwanted reverie. It was like having a bucket of ice poured over your head. I came crashing back to reality.

"Fine. While we wait, I have a few questions for you." I stood and walked to the other end of the counter and leaned against it for support. "What are you?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. I was nervous but very curious to hear his answer and waited with bated breath.

"What I am is of no consequence. You've been living a lie your whole life with a father you don't know, and all you want to know is if I'm human or not. That's rather sad, Fiona, and I almost feel pity for you."

The nerve of this bastard! "Don't deflect, Rowan. I know my father, you don't."

"Let's see..." he said, stroking his chin like he was pondering something of importance. "Mid to late fifties, light reddish hair, receding hairline, red and gray beard, green eyes, rather short, and a septagram known as a fairy star tattoo on his forearm..."

My mouth dropped open as I listened to his perfect description. "Okay! So what? Anyone could google him and know all that." I crossed my arms and cursed while my heart beat in my ears. Could it all be true? No! No way. But how does he know about the star tattoo?

"We didn't have to google him, pet," Rian said, stepping into the kitchen. "I'm so sorry. I am, but we know because he's tried to kill us a few times."

"Four times," Rowan added, glaring at me.

"But it can't be true," I cried, gripping the edge of the counter. "Wait! If he tried to kill you..."

"He did try," Rowan growled.

"Enough, Rowan," Rian whispered with harshness. "Give the lass some time to work it out."

The brothers standing side by side were blurry and distorted as tears clouded my eyes. "If he tried to kill you," I choked out again, "that means you're... you're-"

"Werewolves," Rian answered.

"Werewolves..." I whispered, swallowing hard, and wrapped my arms around my body. I am in the twilight zone, I thought as I stumbled toward the closest chair.

***

Well, Fiona is a little firecracker, isn't she? Maybe she can tame the beast who blames her for her father's crimes... Rian is perhaps a bit sweet on her, I think. He's a nice guy... I mean werewolf! More to come soon. Happy Sunday and thanks for reading! xxxooo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

612K 14K 52
Meet Liam Being an Alpha he has waited for his mate for a very long time and on top of that he is a CEO of Eirmon company and he has lost all his...
5.4K 338 34
ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡ (+18) Calandra Asterin has forsaken her royal fae heritage, escaping an arranged marriage and seeks refuge in the sanctuary of Northern Land...
88.4K 3.6K 42
As her pack teeters on the brink of collapse Genesis must do whatever it takes to save her she-wolves from the mass mate rejections they are facing a...