The Samurai: Rising of The Sh...

By Sword_Saint89

Reito, a young man who just turned 17. After taking victory in a kendo tournament, he finds a book that will... More

The Book!
The Journey
Companion And Conflicts
The Wave
Spear vs Sword
Upgrading
Truths Revealed
A Merchant's Tale

Familiar Faces

1.2K 37 11
By Sword_Saint89

Ever since Reito's upgrades, he's been training for what feels like non-stop. Testing out his naginata form was a good choice. He didn't know how to use it. But after slaying some monsters, he began to get a good feel for it. Especially when he would change his elements.

Ahri: So Reito, have you mastered your spear form style yet?

Reito: Not yet. Although, I have made some progress with its moveset. Using a spear takes a lot of skill and practice. I hate to say it, but Motoyasu makes using a spear look so easy. 

Ahri: That's not surprising. He is the spear hero.

Reito: Fair point.

Both Reito and Ahri were walking on a pathway in the forest outside the city. Reito had his katana reverted back to normal.

Ahri: So tell me, should we hunt more monsters?

Reito: Actually-

???: So fluffy!

A loud voice came down the trail.

Ahri: What was that?

Reito: I don't know. Let's see.

They run down the trail and Reito notices giant bird-like footprints in the dirt. As they reached the source, Reito couldn't believe it.

Reito: Well, this is a surprise. Out of all places I would meet you guys, this was last on my list.

Raphtalia: It's Reito and Ahri!

The ones Reito and Ahri encountered were none other than Raphtalia and Noufumi. Reito noticed a few bandages wrapped around Raphtalia.

Ahri: What happened? Why do you have bandages wrapped around you?

Raphtalia: Oh, don't worry. I just got into a little accident is all. Nothing too dangerous.

Reito: You're a very elusive guy. How're doing, Noufumi?

He walked up as they both grabbed each other's hand and did a bros handshake. If Noufumi did that, Reito made excellent progress with getting Noufumi to help him in his mission.

Noufumi: I haven't seen you guys since the party. What have you two been up to?

Reito: Nothing much. Just upgrading and earning XP. What about you? Anything new happen?

Noufumi: The only thing new is the company. We got ourselves a new member. Look.

They turn their heads and Reito's surprised to see a Filolial. A massive one.

Reito: That's one big Filolial. Where'd you get that thing anyway?

Noufumi: Just bought it from a clutch of eggs. Nothing too fancy. We gave her the name Filo.

Reito: That's kind of basic.

Noufumi: Maybe. But she likes it. 

Reito: I can see that.

???: Your feathers are so fluffy and soft!

Reito: I know that voice.

Noufumi: You what?

He walks over to the Filolial and peeks to the side.

Reito: No way...

???: Oh hello... 

As the two looked at each other, they give a small shout and pointed at each other.

???: Sir Reito.

Reito: Melty? What the heck are you doing all the way out here?

Noufumi: Wait, you already know each other? How?

Melty: Of course. We met when mother-

Reito: She was just someone I ran into while traveling. We've been in touch ever since.

Melty: What?

Reito: (Whispering) I haven't told him the truth yet. I won't get him to trust me if I tell him now. Just play along until I reveal the truth.

Melty: (Whispering) Very well. I shall comply.

Reito: (Whispering) Thank you. 

Melty: Yes. I met Reito when he was doing a job exterminating monsters.

Noufumi: That seems like something you would do.

Reito: Join the club. I've got jackets. Anyway, enough about me. You seem to have been busier than me.

Noufumi: You can say that again.

He says as they watch Melty and Filo play with each other.

Noufumi: Hey, Filo, remember that we have work to do in the village. But in the meantime, you can play with her.

Filo: You mean it? Oh boy!

She leaps into the air and gets covered in smoke. When it clears, Reito's jaw drops when he doesn't see a bird. Instead, he sees a small girl with blonde hair and wings on her back.

Reito: Since when could she have done that?

Noufumi: Only until moments ago. When she changed, her clothes would rip. So we had to hunt for magic threads to make her clothes fit when she transforms.

Reito: That's a lot of work.

Filo: Master, can I play a while longer?

Noufumi: Just make sure you're back by sunset. And don't go too far.

Filo: Okay!

When they went off to go play, Reito and Noufumi went to a nearby village that was recovering from a sickness. Noufumi was able to cure them and was granted a free stay. It was also where he was informed about the curse Raphtalia was infected with. That explains the bandages. 

Reito: Nothing you're tried has worked?

Noufumi: Nothing.

Reito: Yikes. I would try, but... I feel like I'll just make it worse.

Raphtalia: I appreciate the thought. I'll be fine.

Filo: I'm back! Mel is really fun! She told me a whole lot of things. Including things, I didn't know.

Noufumi: Is that so?

Filo: She also told me that she got separated from her people while she was playing with Filoliols.

Noufumi: Good for her. Wait, separated?

Raphtalia: Master Noufumi.

Melty: I apologize for showing up so late. Could you, um, would it be a problem for me to travel with you for just a little while?

Noufumi: What? You can't travel with us.

Melty: I was on my way to the royal capital when I, uh... I was so distracted by all those beautiful Filoliols I got so busy playing with them that I lost track of my bodyguards and was left behind!

Noufumi: Bodyguards?

Reito: You need better bodyguards.

Melty: Saviour, I hear you're leaving for the capital tomorrow. Would you please consider taking me with you?

Noufumi: I don't think that-

Reito: We'll do it.

Noufumi: What?

Reito: Listen, I'm doing this because I owe her a favor. A favor to a friend. My morals won't allow me to leave a lone child behind in a random forest.

Noufumi: (Why do I get the feeling that this is going to go bad?) Fine. You can travel back with us. We leave early in the morning.

Melty: Thank you! You'll be sure to get a reward after!

When the next day came, the gang was traveling all day. From sunrise to sundown. They decided to make camp and settle down for the night. Reito and Noufumi were sitting on a log and Raphtalia was in her sleeping bag. Filo was sleeping in her bird form.

Reito: Today's been one heck of a day.

Noufumi: You can say that again. It's much better without the other heroes around.

Reito: True. Especially Motoyasu. Istuki and Ren I can tolerate, but everything about Motoyasu says "I'm going to annoy you. Punch me." Like the guy needs to calm down.

Noufumi: Hopefully that beating you gave will make him rethink his actions a little bit.

Reito: Maybe. But this is Motoyasu we're talking about. I doubt it.

Raphtalia: Master Noufumi, Mel's gone!

Noufumi: Huh?

They look around and saw no sight of her. But her clothes were laying right next to Filo's body.

Raphtalia: You don't think...

Reito: Excuse me, what?

Noufumi: Nuh-uh, there's no way.

Reito: Can Filo even do that?

Noufumi: She did say her own kind looked yummy before you showed up.

Reito: Ugh, cannibal.

Noufumi: Reito. Raphtalia.

Raphtalia: Yes.

Noufumi: If anyone asks, we saw nothing, okay?

Raphtalia: What?

Reito: Bro, we have her missing clothes right here. What do you mean?

Noufumi: You think It'll be better if we confessed that Filo ate some nobleman's daughter?!

Reito: Touche.

Filo: Hmm? What's the matter?

Raphtalia: Filo, what have you done with Melty?

Filo: What do you mean? Mel is sleeping in my feathers, she has been all night.

All: Huh, what?

Filo: Time to wake up, Mel.

She rubs her side and Melty pops up from her feathers. No clothes on either. Why no clothes?

Melty: What's the matter?

Reito: What are you doing in there?

Melty: Filo's feathers are so soft and comfortable, that I couldn't resist going to sleep.

Noufumi: Did you have to take off your clothes?

Melty: Mm-hmm.

Raphtalia: How did you even get in there?

She places her hand on Filo, but her hand begins to sink in.

Raphtalia: Oh, wow. It's so soft and warm.

She ended up falling asleep on Filo. Noufumi picked up one of Filo's feathers and looked at it.

Noufumi: Do these feathers have some kind of sleep-inducing powers?

Reito: I hope not. I prefer going to sleep on my own terms, thank you very much. Speaking of sleep, we should get some. We got a long day ahead of us.

He lies near the fire and pulls the mask over his eyes.

The next day came and they walked into the city with Filo in her human form.

Melty: Thank you. I can't thank you both enough.

Filo: Master, is it okay if I take Filo home?

Noufumi: Sure. But just make sure to collect the reward.

Filo: Kay! Let's go.

They begin to walk off as the others walk in the opposite direction. Noufumi ended up going to a church.

Noufumi: We won't be long.

Reito: Take your time, I'll be just here.

They enter as Reito waits outside. He paces back and forth slowly before looking at the church's design which eventually led him to the church's logo. It was a combination of all the Cardinal heroes. But Reito noticed something wrong.

Reito: A spear, sword, and bow. Where's the shield?

Noufumi: Geez. Talk about patronizing.

Reito: How'd it go?

Noufumi: We got the holy water needed to treat Raphtalia. The priest was being all philosophical about it.

Reito: He's a priest, what do you expect?

Noufumi: Fair point.

Raphtalia: Uh, master Noufumi.

She points to the left and a young knight is seen running in their direction.

???: Wait! S-shield hero!

Noufumi: Start running!

Reito: Huh?

Without a second word, Noufumi takes off running. Reito and Ahri shook their heads and quickly followed. No matter how far they ran, the knight was still following them. They eventually lost him through many corners, but Raphtalia and Ahri became separated. Noufumi and Reito were catching their breaths in a small marketplace.

Reito: What the hell was that about?

Noufumi: That knight was after us. We had to get away.

Reito: Yeah, how about you give me a little warning next time, huh?

Noufumi: You caught up. You're fine.

Motoyasu: Noufumi!

They look forward and see Motoyasu charging at them with his spear, ready to strike. His spear hit the ground as they moved back to avoid his attack.

Noufumi: You're attacking us in the middle of the street?

Reito: What the hell is wrong with you?!

Motoyasu: Shut your faces! Where is that slave girl? Free her now!

He goes for another strike, but Noufumi blocks with his shield and Reito uses his sword to pin Motoyasu's spear.

Noufumi: How many times do I have to tell you? Raphtalia isn't-

Motoyasu: I'm not talking about her! 

Reito: Huh?

Motoyasu: I'm talking about the blonde girl with wings on her back.

Noufumi: Her? You mean Filo?

Motoyasu: Filo's her name. How could you make her your slave? I've never seen a girl that perfect. She's incredible. She's just like Freyon from Hell World.

Reito: Who from what?

Motoyasu: My heart's been in overdrive ever since I saw her. I have a thing for angels.

Noufumi: We don't care.

Reito: You got problems. Big problems.

Motoyasu: Since I'm here, I might as well get some payback for what happened at the party! Airstrike Javelin!

He throws his spear, which bounces off Noufumi's shield, and hits a stand, causing it to explode.

Motoyasu: Chaos spear! 

He throws another spear at Reito who deflects it, but the same thing happens to another stand. It got to a point where even the civilians began fighting each other.

Reito: Right, that's it! You want another beating?!

Motoyasu: Come at me!

Reito: Easy!

He grabs his katana as it begins to glow. Motoyasu was expecting it to turn into another sword, but he wasn't holding a sword. He was holding a cross naginata.

Reito: You wanna come at me, let's go!

Motoyasu: How do you have a spear?!

Reito: Samurais used polearms. Don't you know anything?

Motoyasu: Watch your mouth. You may have beaten me once, but I'm stronger than the last time we fought.

Reito: Well make me do it, tough guy!

He grunts as Motoyasu charges. Reito grabs his spear and gets ready to attack, but is stopped when somebody gets in his way.

???: Wait! Spear Hero, you can't-

Motoyasu's blade stops centimeters away from the knight's face.

Noufumi: Wait a minute, what's going on?

???: This is a public place. Take your differences elsewhere! This is no place for a duel.

Malty: It is now.

They look over and see Malty standing with knights behind her.

Reito: Not this bitch again.

Malty: Surround them.

Captain: *Sigh* Draw swords!

The knights draw their weapons and make a circle around the three. 

Malty: Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby declare this an official duel between the spear hero and the shield and fifth hero. All thanks to the royal crown, which has bested me with the authority to do so.

Reito: Shut up. Your threats are as empty as your royal title. All hail Malty, princess of no one. Seriously, do you think a couple of knights are enough to stop us? You saw what happened when I fought Motoyasu. Even with you cheating.

Malty: Why you! You dare insult royalty?!

Reito: You're damn right I do. I normally wouldn't do that, but you're just running your mouth way too much.

Motoyasu: Enough talk! I don't know how you came upon that spear, but when it comes to spears, I always win.

Reito: Then prove it, oh spear hero!

Melty: Put your weapons away!

The area goes silent as knights bow down on one knee. Malty steps forward with a few knights around her.

Melty: I absolutely forbid the heroes from fighting amongst themselves.

Malty: Wh-what are you doing back here?

Melty: It has been way too long. Dear sister.

Noufumi: Huh?

Reito: Uh-oh.

Melty: I hope you don't think you or the hero's privilege can cover up this mess. The damage has been done for everyone to see. Look around you, spear hero. Would you call someone a hero when he puts his own civilians in danger? Your games have gone on long enough, sister.

Malty: I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm simply doing my job as the hero's aide.

Reito: By making him fight in a public place with innocents? You would do something like that.

Melty: Reito does have a point. You're dragging this out far longer than it needs to be.

Malty: Do you dare to defy me, your older sister?

Melty: If I have to, we will tell mother about this.

Malty grits her teeth. Everyone begins to calm down as Reito and Noufumi relax.

Reito: Some day this has been, huh?

Noufumi: I'll say.

Raphtalia: Master Noufumi.

Ahri: Reito.

Raphtalia: Just what's going on here?

Reito: Just Motoyasu being a moron. The usual.

Motoyasu: Ah, and you must be-

As he attempts to talk to Filo, Reito steps in and blocks him with his sheath.

Reito: I think it's best if you and your party get out of here.

Motoyasu: Tch.

He and his party regroup and exit the area. Malty rejoins Reito and Noufumi.

Noufumi: Does anyone want to tell me what's going on?

Reito: I think we've been holding out for quite enough. Come with us. We'll tell you everything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161 3 15
More than a year ago, Atsuko lost his whole family to a man, that later became known as Hebi. On his 18th birthday, he became a samurai with only one...
10.5K 353 11
Before anyone asks, this was a collab that I worked on with my buddy Silverlion12K that I got permission to reupload on my channel by him. All Heroes...
87 0 2
the four cardinal heroes, said that these four are the ones who'll fought the Waves of catastrophe with the Sword, the Spear, the Bow and the Shield...
10.9K 399 28
While walking through the library looking for a good book to read, you find one that's torn and looks old. Pulling it from the shelf, you read about...